Killzone 3 PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Feb 22, 2011
7.9

1. Feb 23, 2011
    An unremarkable game. The only things "outstanding" about this game are its visuals. The gameplay feels much less "sluggish" than the last game, which is good, but it's still sluggish compared to most others. Some mark this as a good thing, saying it gives weapons a feeling of "weight". The thing is, there's a difference between weight and response time. The fact that it wobbles and slowsAn unremarkable game. The only things "outstanding" about this game are its visuals. The gameplay feels much less "sluggish" than the last game, which is good, but it's still sluggish compared to most others. Some mark this as a good thing, saying it gives weapons a feeling of "weight". The thing is, there's a difference between weight and response time. The fact that it wobbles and slows the character down gives a great sense of the physical interaction between you and your gun. The fact that it takes a second after you move the joystick to register movement..does not. Let me put it this way:

If you're carrying a 40lb gun, you're probably not going to be able to jump freely and run and twist like a maniac. However, if you want to turn 45 degrees to face an enemy, you'll be able to that nearly instantly; there is no delay between your brain signaling and your arm moving. In that regard, Killzone 3 still feels sluggish. If you want a weight-y feeling without loss of control, try Crysis 2.

On to visuals and audio.. they're some of the best on the consoles. I was never a fan of the super-intense blurring that they like to apply on to every single object, but the terrain is chock-full of detail and high-res textures. It doesn't quite measure up to the best games on the PC, but it's pretty damn impressive for a console that's 4-5 years old. The audio is loud, booming, and intense. Personally, I'd say Bad Company has got it beat, but that aside there's no competition. I could do without that annoying N64 beep sound every time I kill an enemy, but hey, that's just me.

Storymode.. is depressing. I can't remember the last time an FPS story has really stood out to me. I enjoyed Halo 3, but that's because I enjoyed the first Halo, not because the game itself had a great story. Reach and ODST (in my opinion), were both pretty disappointing. All the recent Call of Duty games are completely forgettable, though Black Ops did at least try to make some sort of plot twist (thought not with a very good conclusion). And so with Killzone 3 you get awfully typical, sometimes ridiculous action storyline that you will forget in a few weeks. Apparently, the campaign story is just there to move you from place to place in today's shooters. So, if we want quality storytelling, look to RPGs.

Multiplayer.. the reason most people buy the game. Well, it's really nothing special. The only things unique are "Botzone" and the game-changing feature Warzone that return from KZ2. I don't understand why you would need to play against Bots on a console that has built-in WiFi with free access to the internet, but it's certainly cool that they added it. Warzone keeps longer game sessions less tedious, but I found they sort of thin out the aspect of teamwork. I feel Battlefield games excel in almost forcing random people into working together to get the job done. In Warzone, every 5 minutes you have a new objective, pretty much convincing you to work at it by yourself in the best way possible. I'm not going to say there's no teamwork, and in fact there's probably more than in most Deathmatch games. Those features aside, everything else is what you expect. Call of Duty-esque gameplay, on some good maps (more variety than KZ2). You can unlock slightly more guns than last time, in a much less linear fashion. But really, the progression can't really measure up to its competitors. Black Ops went full out with their gun-customization and credit system, and even Reach gave a pretty bountiful armory to fill up. Plus, in terms of custom games or any other non-ranked multiplayer, KZ3 falls desperately short. Black Ops has their little betting system, and Reach has Forge-World and unmatched Custom Game editing.

So there you have it. For the record, I own a Playstation 3, an Xbox 360, and a gaming PC. I play games based on merit, not based on what company decided to sponsor it. I compared this game to BlOps and Reach several times because those are the main console shooters these days, not because I have any love for those too. I can't stand playing Black Ops are after so many years of MW, and while I enjoy Reach, I do feel it was a disappointment campaign-wise, and I don't think it measures up to the prior games in the series. The FPS market has been a bit dry recently, so I highly recommend waiting for two games: Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3, both for the PC if possible. The gameplay in Crysis 2 will feel familiar to CoD-fans, and the thought of playing Battlefield 2 with next-gen graphics and destruction just makes me feel warm and happy. If you have only a PS3, yes, get Killzone. It's a technical achievement and a decent game, but in substance it's not anywhere near "the best FPS ever".
  2. Mar 17, 2011
    Killzone 3 is a credible shooter that's solid and satisfying. The new executions are fun to pull off, the shooting is finely honed and considerably accurate. The set piece moments are also epic and memorable. The problems start busting in once you realise that all you get is a shooter like many others, the story is a prime example of this trend. Sev is dry and the narrative in general hasKillzone 3 is a credible shooter that's solid and satisfying. The new executions are fun to pull off, the shooting is finely honed and considerably accurate. The set piece moments are also epic and memorable. The problems start busting in once you realise that all you get is a shooter like many others, the story is a prime example of this trend. Sev is dry and the narrative in general has you following orders from the ISA ring leader, giving no sense of personality to any of the characters. Another big issue is that most of these characters are your typical mucho men, with big muscles and a lot of guns, but it's hard to convince us that they're the good guys. Generally Killzone 3 improves its fundamentals but at the heavy cost of conformity. Expand
  3. Mar 14, 2011
    This is a great PS3 game, worth playing once or twice, but it definitely has it's flaws. The hype on this game was ridiculous, and I'm a little disappointed that I can't give this game a 10. The visuals are obviously stunning, some of the best I've seen on the PS3 (Hell, even modern PC games) hands down. I'm decent at FPS games, but the single player on Normal was very challenging,This is a great PS3 game, worth playing once or twice, but it definitely has it's flaws. The hype on this game was ridiculous, and I'm a little disappointed that I can't give this game a 10. The visuals are obviously stunning, some of the best I've seen on the PS3 (Hell, even modern PC games) hands down. I'm decent at FPS games, but the single player on Normal was very challenging, annoying and frustrating trying to figure out how to not get killed. Your team's AI is obnoxious, they were constantly getting stuck on objects, running around mindlessly. When I was downed, I was constantly getting dialog (Which again... Obnoxious) saying "I can't reach you! I'm coming for you! You're too far! No wait... I'm not going to lose you!" It takes sooooo frustratingly long to restart once you die because the AI is trying to find a way to revive you. In Co-op it is worse, ten fold. That's not to say that this game doesn't have it's great moments. It's a great "action movie." In fact, I think a majority of the game is cutscenes. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but you don't even get to play all of the cool parts, you get to watch them! And the ending! The ending of the game is absolutely terrible. It's as if they ran out of time. It's boring, uneventful, and predictable.

Multiplayer seemed to be the best part, but after connection errors, constantly getting sniped, and the other team constantly being infiltrators, it got boring fast. Oh, and the bots. Bots galore! You can level up in a couple days and it doesn't really show much. The multiplayer feels slow and sluggish, which can be refreshing for those who hate the arcade style CoD. All in all, I played the single player alone and then co-op. I played the multiplayer for 2 weeks or so. And I'm going to get rid of this game. I'm completely bored of it. Lastly, I'd like to mention that I wanted to buy the Move for this game, but I couldn't afford it, so I played it with a regular dual shock. So I can't speak for the 3D and Move experience, but I can imagine it can add another layer of depth.
  4. Feb 26, 2012
    Killzone 3 has great graphics and intense, visceral game play. However, the story has always been a little blan and even boring. It feels like a futuristic version of world war 2 shooter. You're pretty much a soldier from Vetka fighting on behalf of the ISA after post First Extrasolar war tensions exploded into all out war (as in Killzone 1). What bothered me was that Sevchenko or "Sev"Killzone 3 has great graphics and intense, visceral game play. However, the story has always been a little blan and even boring. It feels like a futuristic version of world war 2 shooter. You're pretty much a soldier from Vetka fighting on behalf of the ISA after post First Extrasolar war tensions exploded into all out war (as in Killzone 1). What bothered me was that Sevchenko or "Sev" replaces the main character from Killzone 1 who then dies in this game, his death having no real effect on me. That was disappointing. Killzone 3 pretty much wraps up Killzone 2's story, just not as in a boring way. The different environments are great, and the introduction of new enemies was refreshing. Though the game feels a bit hollow, and even contradicting and then later far fetched. The game feels different without the common goal of a valiant defense or taking down Visari. It feels like an unnecessary expansion, and it seemed like an average game with a not too great ending for the series. The cutscenes are marvelous crafted, and the game is the most realistic war game out there. Overall, this game is a great first time play through, and that's it. Online multiplayer is "eh". The game is no more than a collector's item to be shelved for long time fans of the series. Overall: great graphics, great sound, great gameplay, but not very appealing to new fans or for mutliple replays. The story just seems very bare. The ending cutscene was so...just dumb, that it frustrated me. Personally, Killzone needs to end here at the third installment. The game is just simply overrated. Expand
  5. Apr 8, 2011
    i was not a big fan of KZ2 i thought the story mode was just barely ok and the MP starts off great and went to crap after you got to LT. status . KZ3 deffinitly kicked it up a notch in the story mode . the visuals are outstanding , you can now finaly carry 2 guns (well one heavy one light ) and your psitol , i felt every thing in the story mode flowed smoothly and never felt bored playingi was not a big fan of KZ2 i thought the story mode was just barely ok and the MP starts off great and went to crap after you got to LT. status . KZ3 deffinitly kicked it up a notch in the story mode . the visuals are outstanding , you can now finaly carry 2 guns (well one heavy one light ) and your psitol , i felt every thing in the story mode flowed smoothly and never felt bored playing through it and will deffinitly run through it again some day but it is kinda short and theres no online CO-OP >< . also some real cool guns . i loved the one that shoots out the green stuff and causes the enimys to blow up.. thats sweet also the morter/rocket launcher gun was pretty sick . where this game fails for me is in the Multiplayer department . i think its uber cheap when enimys can go invisable and desguise them selves as the opposite team EXTREMELY DAMN CHEAP!!! ive played about 15 online games and thats about where 80% of my deaths come from . so if you like your multiplayer with cheap tactics you will like KZ3's online but for me i didnt and will wait for socom 4 and hope thats better. Expand
  6. Mar 12, 2011
    The is the first Killzone game I've actually every played, so some of the back story went over my head. Regardless though, the plot itself is pretty straightforward, and the action in this one is fast paced enough so that you don't have to even worry about any plot anyway.

The first thing that strikes you in this game is the incredible visuals, in comparison with COD: Black Ops, this game has amazing graphics. The levels are incredible detailed, with great lighting and effects. As for the FPS element of it, the game is uses a cover mode system which to me was a little clunky, the selection of guns was quite limited too. That said the campaign mode is long enough to keep you entertained and for me the vehicle sequences were the best. Def worth the buy if you're an FPS fan, decent length campaign, great multiplayer with offline "botzone" for training, and also a co-op campaign mode.
  7. Mar 9, 2011
    I guess I'm in the gaming minority or I just haven't drank the Killzone 3 flavored Kool-Aid yet.
    But, I was severely disappointed with the Single Player Campaign of KZ3, much more than KZ2 and to the point where I'm near the end but out of sheer boredom I abandoned it in favor of Bulletstorm and I haven't looked back. I'm not here to compare KZ3 to Bulletstorm! However, the one striking and remarkable difference is Bulletstorm may not be as graphically polished as KZ3, BUT, and it's a huge BUT, I'm having WAY more FUN with Bulletstorm than I did with KZ3. And that includes enduring some of Bulletstorm's annoying glitches. KZ3 SP campaign is so disjointed with abrupt cuts to lengthy cut-scenes (some I thought I would actually play!?!) and missions end oddly with your character stopping abruptly as the screen fades to black. WTF? It was as if I was playing pieces or demo sections of a game rather than the finished, whole cohesive product. To me It just seemed that GG needed another month or so for polish. The aiming/targeting doesn't seem as lethargic as in KZ2, but it is still present and now pretty much is a love or hate it mechanic of the series. I haven't delved into MP yet and from what I read that is the main reason why the game scores so high. But, whenever I play an FPS I ALWAYS go through the SP campaign first and that above all is why I cannot overlook or let KZ3 rest on it's MP laurels.
  8. Apr 21, 2011
    This is a great FPS. Has superb graphics. Although, the storyline is very mediocre, not as good as the previous two. This is still a good game though, and the multiplayer is way better than the second one, expands very well. So, if you're looking for a great storyline, try another game, but for multiplayer it's fun.
  9. Sep 10, 2012
    I have finished killzone 2, and Killzone 3 disappointed me. The game feels like it is half done. Some of the cutscenes are not connecting. The game feels a little too short. I really like Killzone 2, but Killzone 3 just gave me a very normal experience, nothing is good. I would prefer Killzone 2 over Killzone 3, anytime. They did fix the laggy problem in Killzone 3 though.
  10. Feb 28, 2011
    The game as a whole is very will done! The graphics are great. The sound is awesome, I personally think it feels really good too. I like the sliding into cover feature and the leaning out of cover idea. Melee's are more realistic and look awesome! Not a split second knife slash for an instant kill (lol) I just feel like it falls a bit short on the story end of it. I didnt play Killzone 1The game as a whole is very will done! The graphics are great. The sound is awesome, I personally think it feels really good too. I like the sliding into cover feature and the leaning out of cover idea. Melee's are more realistic and look awesome! Not a split second knife slash for an instant kill (lol) I just feel like it falls a bit short on the story end of it. I didnt play Killzone 1 and maybe thats why I dont 'care' about what happens in KZ 2 or 3. it doesnt pull me in. Online is decent, but i dont care for much online play anyways. If you like FPS and you liked KZ 2, give it a shot! Expand
  11. Feb 22, 2011
    The first thing I would like to say is that its single player is boring. So if you thought that Killzone 2s' story was boring, you will most likely fins Killzone 3s' story boring. I was really disappointed with the games single player, after reading all of those interviews with Guerrilla games online, i thought that the single player would be a lot better but it wasn't. Although theThe first thing I would like to say is that its single player is boring. So if you thought that Killzone 2s' story was boring, you will most likely fins Killzone 3s' story boring. I was really disappointed with the games single player, after reading all of those interviews with Guerrilla games online, i thought that the single player would be a lot better but it wasn't. Although the graphics are great and the voice acting is decent, the single player was just mediocre. I seriously do not understand how professional reviewers can say that the single player was great. Well anyways there is also the multiplayer. The multiplayer is very good, it's not the best but it has kept me entertained for a couple of days now(I got my copy early). The only thing that is missing from the multiplayer is more game modes, but hopefully they will add more with future updates. Also, this game is a lot smoother than killzone 2, I actually like it a lot better, aiming is not as frustrating as it was in killzone 2. The controls give the the feeling of a faster paced game. Well anyways I would give the single player a 5/10, and the multiplayer a 9/10 which averages out at a 7/10. If you are not a fan of FPS I would recommend that you rent it just to see what the PS3 is capable of doing, and if you are a fan of FPS(like myself) I would tell you to buy it for the multiplayer. Expand
  12. Feb 24, 2011
    This game has sluggish controls and almost fights against your commands. None of the maps stand out and they all are just wreckage and rumble maps. The maps range from being barely average to just lame. Many of the game classes have abilities that make the game chaotic, example being cloaked until you hit something or making your self look like a friendly player to your enemy. In the endThis game has sluggish controls and almost fights against your commands. None of the maps stand out and they all are just wreckage and rumble maps. The maps range from being barely average to just lame. Many of the game classes have abilities that make the game chaotic, example being cloaked until you hit something or making your self look like a friendly player to your enemy. In the end most team mates just unload on you to be safe which of course causes more chaos.Grenades have there own path and don't go where your cross hairs are pointed. You can't even customize your controls you only get two options to choose from. The game only has split screen co-op, so NO ONLINE co-op. Welcome to the late 90's. If you can get around all of this the games ok. Rent it, you might just save yourself $53. Expand
  13. Jun 26, 2011
    A game with no depth. Yes, a surface is polished and shining - but there nothing inside.
  14. Mar 16, 2011
    Ambition is a rare quality and never one to be mocked. Yet it seems that every game telling the story of war raging on a distant planet feels compelled to raise the bar in the spectacle stakes. Killzone 3 does so spectacularly. But crucially, developers Guerilla have chosen to continue building on the foundation laid by its prequel. Their goal? Seemingly, to create a first-person shooterAmbition is a rare quality and never one to be mocked. Yet it seems that every game telling the story of war raging on a distant planet feels compelled to raise the bar in the spectacle stakes. Killzone 3 does so spectacularly. But crucially, developers Guerilla have chosen to continue building on the foundation laid by its prequel. Their goal? Seemingly, to create a first-person shooter that isnâ Expand
  15. Jul 22, 2011
    So Killzone 3..
    Lets start with the graphics...yes i admit it the graphics are amazing,the devs have done a great job,the whole picture is great even if there are some flows in graphics engine...
    Gameplay? It is not something special,ordinary FPS gameplay for me.. Music?Art Design? Great ... So you will ask yourself if its all great why you are giving 7 to this game..the reason is..the
    So Killzone 3..
    Gameplay? It is not something special,ordinary FPS gameplay for me..
    Music?Art Design? Great ...
    So you will ask yourself if its all great why you are giving 7 to this game..the reason is..the STORY/PLOT is a little mess,the game should have ended in Killzone 2...anyone that have played the whole trilogy will understand me..
  16. Jan 10, 2012
    I'm going to get right to the point. If you enjoyed Killzone 2 and appreciated a shooter that thought "outside the box" well you'll be VERY disappointed with kz 3. Kz 3 on it's own is a decent game but I could never get over why some of the great features where removed. Things like not being able to play ALL game modes on all the maps, custom games server browsing, in game squadI'm going to get right to the point. If you enjoyed Killzone 2 and appreciated a shooter that thought "outside the box" well you'll be VERY disappointed with kz 3. Kz 3 on it's own is a decent game but I could never get over why some of the great features where removed. Things like not being able to play ALL game modes on all the maps, custom games server browsing, in game squad feature, spawn on squad leader, spawn camera, spectator mode, decent stat tracking, run stamina, prox chat, recoil/gun play, clan support, faction balancing, 32 player, and spawn nades. I mean really, this is a sequel?

Anyway..kz 3 is decent shooter but it's on my biggest disappointment of 2011 list.
  17. Feb 25, 2011
    Why did the hell did they remove the custom games? The main reason I bought this game is to play custom games against the bots with my friends! I have been getting texts from them all night asking me how the game is. But when I tell them they removed the custom/bot games, none of them are willing to buy the game!

And those menus, they look like they were done by a retarded 5yr old with

And those menus, they look like they were done by a retarded 5yr old with a red crayon! The numbers above a person you are shooting destroy any sense of realism! Only 6 maps, and DLC already? How can they take something that works and intentionally ruin it?

Very disappointing!
  18. Mar 4, 2011
    I just can't get into this game (I'm currently on mission 6). Every time I try and play the campaign I find myself tempted to hit the eject button before I doze off. I really wanted to like this game... like the graphics are nice and all but (excuse my french) I don't really give 2 **** about any of the characters or what will happen in the story. Then I thought hmmmmmmm...maybe this isI just can't get into this game (I'm currently on mission 6). Every time I try and play the campaign I find myself tempted to hit the eject button before I doze off. I really wanted to like this game... like the graphics are nice and all but (excuse my french) I don't really give 2 **** about any of the characters or what will happen in the story. Then I thought hmmmmmmm...maybe this is similar to CoD (bad campaign, good multiplayer). I played online for about 30 minutes and I thought ...eh.... its oooook, no cover system really (don't get me started on the single player "cover system"), environments are kinda dull and uninteresting. I have to admit that I did enjoy the stealth mission and snow level but I found it hard to continue playing after that. I'm not writing this review to offend anyone...I rate games based on how I feel playing them. Gaming shouldn't be about - "oh this game has stellar graphics", or "this game has so many extra things I can do!" Games should make you feel something...if Killzone 3's goal was to make the player feel as if they're actually in a Warzone shooting at enemy combatants, they may have partially achieved that, however having 2 dimensional copy and paste main protagonists pulls the game right into the **** and by the end of the game (or 6 chapters in) you just don't care anymore. And before some troll goes OMG XBOX FANBOY lemme just say that I believe PS3 exclusives are better than 360 exclusives. I was able to borrow a friends PS3 and play his copy of Uncharted 2 and later that day I found myself at Gamestop buying a PS3 and UC2. I'm glad I was able to at least rent KZ3 and give it a try. If you're playing KZ3 and love it that's totally cool, it's just not for me.

Pros: Gorgeous Visuals Characters look somewhat life-like Multiplayer is ok

Cons: Lack of a real cover system (in SP and MP) Game becomes too repetitive and boring Can't go prone Crouching near cover can sometimes make you stick to it Hollow-uninteresting characters
  19. Mar 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Single player short review: Killzone 3 is a disappointment.

This game has all the ingredients of AAA title and yet it fails to become an amazing classic. Visuals are astonishing, make no mistake about that, but a game needs more to keep me wanting more. Gameplay is smooth, but still feels like a corridor shooter. I didn't feel it was story-driven. Everything felt like a showcase of ideas glued together with cutscenes.

The biggest disapointment is the lenght of the single player campaign, roughly 5 hours is way too short. The ending is anti-climatic and leaves you thinking "wait, what, was that it?!". On top of that I believe developers made a big mistake of putting Rico in charge most of the time - I want to be the man here, I hated "staying on his six" and felt curiously happy and unwilling to help when he got downed. By no means though, did he stop his annoying chatter...

Now, to sum it up - I'm on my second play-through and would urge you to get the game, because it's definitely worth playing. You'll have fun. But don't expect a classic, because Killzone 3 hasn't lived up to the hype.
  20. Sep 30, 2011
    bezdushnoe viabushoe kinco za 2300. ne rekomendyu. ne mogli sdelat' vse kak v crysise. drakeface, drakeface, drakeface, drakeface, drakeface, drakeface.
  21. Apr 12, 2011
    What a huge step back. I don't even want to play any console shooters anymore. Call of Duty has ruined this genre. The story is shallow and pointless and multiplayer is as stupid as any Call of Duty game.
  22. Oct 1, 2012
    This is the most bland FPS on rails that I have ever seen. It's not bad, just "meh". The graphics make it look alright (not the best graphics) but everything blends in with its surrondings. You need your enemy to have glowing red eyes just to find them. Using your weapons is kind of tricky because they float on you while your trying to aim. What's bad is that cover is useless most of theThis is the most bland FPS on rails that I have ever seen. It's not bad, just "meh". The graphics make it look alright (not the best graphics) but everything blends in with its surrondings. You need your enemy to have glowing red eyes just to find them. Using your weapons is kind of tricky because they float on you while your trying to aim. What's bad is that cover is useless most of the time. The VO is subpar. No real story because as soon as you're taught to shot your weapon, you begin the story of shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Even the enemy were boring and uninspired. The enemy were not originally created but just made into a futuristic Nazi/Soviet hybrid. Three hours worth of game time and i haven't picked the game up in almost three weeks. They're much better FPS out there to entertain you with than this one. Expand
  23. Mar 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Single player is nice nothing wrong with it with some excelent shout outs and average story.
    Multiplayer is a total disaster, let me explain this abit from my side of the story.

Marksman Class with stealth + one hell of a machine gun is asking for trouble.
    Is promotes camping at its finest and allot of people care how much they die in a multiplayer game where K/D ratio is a matter of (skill)

So its natural that alot of people choose the most overpowered class for this kind of gameplay.
    I got shot so many times from an invisible guy that i got frustrated by going for objectives.
    Objectives that makes the gameplay fun if you go in there with a group and get it done feels as an acomplishment.
    Not so when half your team is camping in a corner waiting for a kill....
    I sold KZ3 after 8 days of multiplayer, big let down as i had high expectations from this game
  24. May 18, 2011
    The game is another bland first person shooter in the filled market; however, Killzone 3 does come in with fancier looks, but in the end, it is a totally "missable" game, especially for the PS3. The multiplayer is fine for what it is, but nothing different from those other lame MP games. Story isn't horrible, but is short and a little disappointing. Okay if you want another shooter, notThe game is another bland first person shooter in the filled market; however, Killzone 3 does come in with fancier looks, but in the end, it is a totally "missable" game, especially for the PS3. The multiplayer is fine for what it is, but nothing different from those other lame MP games. Story isn't horrible, but is short and a little disappointing. Okay if you want another shooter, not okay if you are tired of copy-pasted games. Expand
  25. Sep 10, 2011
    Multiplayer is this game's saving grace as the singleplayer campaign is so unremarkably dull and poorly put together that it's even more frustrating than Killzone 2. Visuals are stunning, voice acting is good, but once again, all the ISA characters absolutely insufferable. The singleplayer in this game would be way more interesting and entertaining if you were playing a Helghan soldier.Multiplayer is this game's saving grace as the singleplayer campaign is so unremarkably dull and poorly put together that it's even more frustrating than Killzone 2. Visuals are stunning, voice acting is good, but once again, all the ISA characters absolutely insufferable. The singleplayer in this game would be way more interesting and entertaining if you were playing a Helghan soldier. The way it is now, it's like watching a C rate action movie. Multiplayer, however, is a different story. Three main game modes are present - team deathmatch, warzone, and operations. Warzone features seven rounds of varying objectives. One round might be simple team deathmatch, the next might be search and destroy, and following that might come assassination. Certain objectives really favor certain playable class' skills, which really keeps the game feeling dynamic and forces players to always be on their toes. It's an absolute blast and makes control of the large maps crucial, however, spawn camping can become an issue if the teams are lopsided or if one team simply sucks at the game. Operations is a more tightly focused objective mode in which one team of players defends against an attacking team. The defense is usually tasked with protecting certain locations or preventing the attackers from stealing crucial items. Each objective is located in a certain segment of the map as the attackers slowly gain ground and force the defenders back. This keeps the action tightly focused in certain areas when there aren't enough players to fill the large maps. With a full house, the gameplay is even more hectic and fast paced. If you want a memorably singleplayer campaign, go look somewhere else. This is a multiplayer game, and pretty good one at that. I recently picked up the game a couple weeks ago and it is still well populated. Expand
  26. Nov 9, 2011
    Picking up after Killzone 2 was always going to be a difficult task, though Guerrilla Games have managed to pull it off admirably, even if we are subjected to a needlessly long tutorial sequence. The real focus this time around is following on the story from the events of the previous game and while it does a good job of moving things along, it also takes a lot of lazy approaches toPicking up after Killzone 2 was always going to be a difficult task, though Guerrilla Games have managed to pull it off admirably, even if we are subjected to a needlessly long tutorial sequence. The real focus this time around is following on the story from the events of the previous game and while it does a good job of moving things along, it also takes a lot of lazy approaches to certain elements. Gameplay wise it is more of the same with some incredible set pieces thrown in, one in particular has you and your allies taking on a giant destructive robot as it destroys literally everything around you.

By no means a perfect game nor really a perfect sequel, but really only more of the same. Regardless of it still being a solid package, it's a shame they weren't able to add some more innovations to the formula.
  27. Oct 28, 2012
    Killzone 3 is more of the same stuff we saw in Killzone 2 except the controls aren't as bad and the environments aren't as dark. It's all snowy this time (!) The game looks and sounds great. The majority of the weapons are the same, but the story feels more fleshed out. I really enjoyed watching Stahl (Malcolm McDowell)'s machinations, however the game peaks early and doesn't concludeKillzone 3 is more of the same stuff we saw in Killzone 2 except the controls aren't as bad and the environments aren't as dark. It's all snowy this time (!) The game looks and sounds great. The majority of the weapons are the same, but the story feels more fleshed out. I really enjoyed watching Stahl (Malcolm McDowell)'s machinations, however the game peaks early and doesn't conclude anything, in fact the entire game is one big stop-gap cliffhanger that just ends abruptly as though development ran out of time, something rather endemic of shooters lately. Expand
  28. Oct 25, 2011
    You know I love this franchise. Even loved it on m PSP....this one though felt kinda reptetive. KZ2 was awesome and epic feeling. This game has alot of that same feeling, but really doesnt feel new at all.IT does look great like all the KZ games and it has a kind of Saving private ryan in the future thing going on... I dont know though. It just didnt excite me the way KZ2 did. Still aYou know I love this franchise. Even loved it on m PSP....this one though felt kinda reptetive. KZ2 was awesome and epic feeling. This game has alot of that same feeling, but really doesnt feel new at all.IT does look great like all the KZ games and it has a kind of Saving private ryan in the future thing going on... I dont know though. It just didnt excite me the way KZ2 did. Still a good game though.... worht picking up used if you can and if you liked the other games in the trilogy. Expand
  29. Mar 5, 2013
    This game was pretty good at launch, but eventually it went down, most people lost interest and all that was left were snipers and a few addicted guys. Also the lag became worse.
  30. Oct 24, 2012
    It's a step up from Killzone 2, but let's be honest. This game still doesn't bring anything new that we haven't seen before. Everything about this trilogy is generic just like CoD. CoD sucks and this is better but s'mon people this game doesn't deserve a 9 or a 10, it's the same crap we have been seeing for 10 years. Graphics are good like Killzone 2,but even though they are good itIt's a step up from Killzone 2, but let's be honest. This game still doesn't bring anything new that we haven't seen before. Everything about this trilogy is generic just like CoD. CoD sucks and this is better but s'mon people this game doesn't deserve a 9 or a 10, it's the same crap we have been seeing for 10 years. Graphics are good like Killzone 2,but even though they are good it doesn't mean that it's nice to look at. They use the same colors over and over,however Killzone 2 was worse for that. This game is generic but there is still fun to be had :) Expand
  31. Aug 19, 2012
    My copy freezes up, reliably, about 2/3 of the way through the single player campaign, with no scratches evident. Sadly, a quick Internet search reveals that freezes are a very common problem, in the campaign and online multiplayer.

Why is it that most (or all) Blu-ray ps3 games don't let me (optionally) write game data to my hard drive? Still require the disc to be inserted to play (of course), but then I get faster load times; I find out at install if there's data corruption (instead of finding out after my return period is over); my ps3 runs quieter and cooler. Sony, I would really appreciate this feature.

Decent game, but my score is prorated to the fraction of it that I can actually play.
  32. Mar 18, 2012
    Wanting something to fill the void left by COD (RIP). I decided to download the free trial of Kill Zone3 after reading many good reviews. Maybe my expectations were too high but it just seemed like a regular, run of the mill fps. Graphics were nothing special (it felt like i was playing a video game unlike when i first played cod4 which felt like i was actually in a battlefield), the gunsWanting something to fill the void left by COD (RIP). I decided to download the free trial of Kill Zone3 after reading many good reviews. Maybe my expectations were too high but it just seemed like a regular, run of the mill fps. Graphics were nothing special (it felt like i was playing a video game unlike when i first played cod4 which felt like i was actually in a battlefield), the guns and kill animations all felt like every other fps out there. I'm getting tired of the same old generic games. I want to be blown away by something. I want innovation. I want ultra realism with holy sh*t gun fire, explosions and kill animations that put a grin on my face. I want truly amazing graphics. I just think the whole gaming industry is stuck in a rut, just going through the motions with minimal effort because the dollars will come regardless. The discouraging thing is that from the board room this is considered a success. Expand
  33. Feb 23, 2013
    It's a good game, but no where near Killzone 2. This game improved all the basic things of Killzone 2 like the graphics, controls etc. but many other things they made worse. The story-mode is all good (not as good as KZ2), but the online is really hurting it. What made it unplayable online for me was those awful Jetpacks which made it all very unbalanced! compare to killzone 2 which was aIt's a good game, but no where near Killzone 2. This game improved all the basic things of Killzone 2 like the graphics, controls etc. but many other things they made worse. The story-mode is all good (not as good as KZ2), but the online is really hurting it. What made it unplayable online for me was those awful Jetpacks which made it all very unbalanced! compare to killzone 2 which was a perfect balanced game without it. Jetpacks should have been kept to the story mode. Expand
  34. Feb 21, 2013
    More of the same...visuals awesome, but gameplay feels generic and repetitive.
  35. Jun 6, 2012
    I just don't understand this game at all, it's pretty, but the campaign is just a rails shooter with... a horrendous storyline. All of the action seems to happen during the cutscenes. Online multiplayer was boring to me, close quarters shooting... maybe I missed something. The graphics are nice enough.
  36. Jan 2, 2014
    Killzone 3 is a very good game but isn't as good as the 1st and 2nd Killzones, because first of all, the graphics look exactly like KZ2, I just wish KZ3 came out years later for a new Playstation (Shadow Fall, thank you) just like KZ2 came out on the PS3 after KZ1 came out on the PS2. My other disapointment with this game is the multiplayer which in no way is as good as KZ2. The thingsKillzone 3 is a very good game but isn't as good as the 1st and 2nd Killzones, because first of all, the graphics look exactly like KZ2, I just wish KZ3 came out years later for a new Playstation (Shadow Fall, thank you) just like KZ2 came out on the PS3 after KZ1 came out on the PS2. My other disapointment with this game is the multiplayer which in no way is as good as KZ2. The things are: The story, voice acting, some of the greatest battles in all of the series, and the pacing. KZ3 gets 7/10 Expand
  37. Jan 29, 2014
    It is apparent that the developer of Killzone puts realism ahead of everything in their game. But realism does not make good games; whereas Killzone 3 is visually impressive and of course, quite realistic, it is mediocre as a fps.
    Enemies in Killzone are pretty tanky: it takes around 10 body shoots to kill. It might make sense because of the armor enemies are wearing, but it makes shooting sloppy, as you don't have a sense that you shots are hitting. Covers continue to be useless as is in all Killzone games: enemies hit you with pinpoint accuracy despite you being in cover. Although you could do the same thing to enemies hiding behind cover but what's the point of making a cover system if it does not work?
    I feel like the weapons in Killzone isn't realistic; although its the 24th century and battle cruisers warp around the galaxy, soldiers are still using physical bullet rifles with red dot sights or just iron sights. Cmon we need futuristic guns! Especially when the environment is so futuristic and amazing!
    Even with these issues however Killzone 3 still gets a 7 with its vibrant world, awesome graphics and alright level design.
  38. Jul 28, 2013
    This is a fun and very short (7-9hr.) fps. The story line isn't the best but the action makes up for it. The over all sound of the game is good but the guns don't give off very good "umph" when firing. As of all PS3 exclusive titles the games color pallet is poor. The entire game seems grey with highlights of red or green splattered through out. You should not purchase this game for anyThis is a fun and very short (7-9hr.) fps. The story line isn't the best but the action makes up for it. The over all sound of the game is good but the guns don't give off very good "umph" when firing. As of all PS3 exclusive titles the games color pallet is poor. The entire game seems grey with highlights of red or green splattered through out. You should not purchase this game for any price. If your bored over the weekend this is a great rental. Expand
  39. Oct 27, 2012
    A good game with fantastic multiplayer. The game sometimes feels sluggish but the technical side is great and the shooting feels satisfying but is let down by lazy menu design, short campaign and lackluster story. Overall 7.3/10 Good
  40. Nov 3, 2013
    ok,i dont have anything again playstation
    but this game is overated
    i mean,the story is boring,it has a lot of cliches and stupid things
    the gameplay is good and the graphics too but
    i dont know,it isn the mine.
    still better than call of duty
  41. Nov 5, 2013
    I gave him a seven but because I have a good day. Killzone 3 is better than the 2 but not much. Maybe the Shadow Fall will be the crown of these games I don't know but this isn't enough. Killzone is not a great FPS.... not by a long shot
  42. Feb 17, 2014
    I barely played the multiplayer so this is just a review of the singleplayer campaign. The story starts almost directly after the end of Killzone 2. Not that anybody cares because the story is extremely bland and the main heroes are either unlikable or forgettable. Story-wise most of the entertainment comes from Ray Winstone and Malcolm Mcdowell who are extremely over the top and just chewI barely played the multiplayer so this is just a review of the singleplayer campaign. The story starts almost directly after the end of Killzone 2. Not that anybody cares because the story is extremely bland and the main heroes are either unlikable or forgettable. Story-wise most of the entertainment comes from Ray Winstone and Malcolm Mcdowell who are extremely over the top and just chew scenery throughout the entire game.

The game controls a lot better than its predecessor while still keeping the feeling that your weapons have weight. The level design is also a bit better and i used the cover mechanic quite a bit while i don't remember using it at all in Killzone 2. Visually the game still looks great and holds up pretty well even after having seen Killzone: Shadowfall. Overall i had fun with the game but i doubt that i remember much of the singleplayer campaign after a few months
  43. Feb 5, 2015
    Wooohhh nelly slow down i think i see killzone. Is that killzone? Doesnt seem like killzone. Seems like somebody dutied on it. Well it wasnt my horse. No no more killzone. What happened 2 was so Good. Me dont like 2 play easy dumbed down things.Too much doody round here. Ridin my horse outa here caz its all down hill after this.
  44. Feb 24, 2011
    Great game, a must-have for all PS3 owners. Graphics are A+ as always, and multiplayer is active.

If you have already played Killzone 2, it's very very similar. Though some will argue with me, I am just a casual Killzone player, it's basically an upgrade as far as multiplayer goes. I purchased this on release, and so far there are a few loading issues and bugs, but I'm sure in a week or two they will be sorted out. Other than that, every thing is great.

1. Dec 12, 2011
    Is Killzone 3 deep enough to snipe PSN players from the COD: Black Ops fold? Probably not. Is Killzone 3 outstanding enough to warrant single-player awards for its narrative? Nope. But let there be no doubt that when it comes to intense gameplay that gives not one spare second for players to catch their breath or laze their way into a routine, Killzone 3 is near the top of the pack. The fact that it's the best-looking game we've seen and happens to support full stereoscopic 3D is just icing on the cake.
    Although the third part of the entire Killzone series is the weakest one it is still a very above-average piece of entertainment every PS3 owner should have this in their collection. [Mar 2011]
  3. Mar 30, 2011
    Killzone 3 is ultimately a flawed yet stunning experience. It gets the production values and the intensity just right. If it lacks anything, it would be a bit of character but fans will find it absolutely thrilling while it lasts.