8.4

1. Sep 13, 2013
    Love Kingdom Hearts....best fantasy for gamers....of course if we could go anywhere or be anything this game covers it. The only problem is it's outdated; granted the HD helps brighten it up, but trying to get through this game on proud mode with the camera issues (esp during boss levels) is a joke and an atrocity. Two hits and done, you don't manually keep the camera where you want andLove Kingdom Hearts....best fantasy for gamers....of course if we could go anywhere or be anything this game covers it. The only problem is it's outdated; granted the HD helps brighten it up, but trying to get through this game on proud mode with the camera issues (esp during boss levels) is a joke and an atrocity. Two hits and done, you don't manually keep the camera where you want and you are done. 11 years is a long time because I was very excited but after three frustrating days with a luck based inconsistent hard mode and camera issues, I'm just waiting for GTA V to surpass the time until the PS4. Sadly enough, for me, Kingdom Hearts doesn't do it anymore. Expand
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    Coming into this series as a new player. I was rather disappointed. While the game's use of Disney characters and themes is charming, everything else feels really dated and obsolete.

Gameplay wise you have a bad camera, awkward movement, terrible platforming sections, a completely boring travel mini-game and uninspired combat. Equipping basic items is a chore, there is no way to compare weapons when you purchase them and many in game decisions are made without any context. I find myself running away from the awful combat a lot because of all the back and forth between level sections caused by the game's inherent lack of direction or guidance. The levels themselves are very small and feel cramped; especially when you're constantly being jumped by a ton of small enemies.

Story wise, I'm sad to say that the Disney characters completely outshine the Square Enix characters. The protagonist is boring, there are plenty of plotholes, and the game's pacing seems really off. The voice acting is superb for the Disney characters but again, terrible for the Square Enix ones. The music is really jarring and repetitive, which is a shame when you consider that Disney has this huge library of musical scores from all these different franchises to fall back on.

Graphically, the game is a mix of good and bad. Most character models look really nicely done, but when the camera zooms in on faces and the blur comes into play you can really tell it's an old game. While the enemy models look really polished,a lot of the backgrounds and items in the background seem to have low resolution textures.

All in all, I think this game relies way too much on nostalgia, as is evident by the majority of reviews on metacritic. This is a mediocre game at best, and the fact that Square Enix wants $40 for what seems like a rather minor graphical update makes me feel a little bit sad.
  3. Dec 18, 2013
    I tried the first game and never got to the other games/videos on the disc.
    I tried the first game and never got to the other games/videos on the disc.
    I rarely buy new games but this one I bought new from day one, that's how excited I was. But after a while a noticed the gameplay is pretty boring and repetitive, it's just slow button bashing (you can bash fast but the character won't swing the giant key any faster). And what's worse is that the camera is pretty bad, it's supposed to be better then the original but it's still pretty annoying and I couldn't control it properly.
    I especially expected the story to be more interesting and engaging but I was disappointed. It was very slow movies, a cliché and pretty boring to be honest.
    Big disappointment.

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix will probably not convince non-fans of the series. It’s the same type of cozy Disney/Square-Enix mix as always but also with the same type of bad controls and unbalanced difficulty level as the original.
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    The Kingdom Hearts series has aged and this just doesn't feel as much fun as it used to do. But if you're a fan, this is still worth checking out.
  3. An HD remake of the highest order. [Dec 2013, p.84]