8.4

1. Sep 10, 2013
    HD and Nostalgia? What else could you want.... The love and passion in the story is breathtaking. Sure the game has some things that could have been modernized a bit, or added in in the CGI area but it's nothing short of spectacular.
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Love Kingdom Hearts....best fantasy for gamers....of course if we could go anywhere or be anything this game covers it. The only problem is it's outdated; granted the HD helps brighten it up, but trying to get through this game on proud mode with the camera issues (esp during boss levels) is a joke and an atrocity. Two hits and done, you don't manually keep the camera where you want and you are done. 11 years is a long time because I was very excited but after three frustrating days with a luck based inconsistent hard mode and camera issues, I'm just waiting for GTA V to surpass the time until the PS4. Sadly enough, for me, Kingdom Hearts doesn't do it anymore. Expand
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    It doesn't hold up as well as you'd like. I mean, the HD textures make it rather pretty, but the game shows its age in the poor localization and sophomoric directing of the pacing in the story. Thank god for nostalgia, because I don't know if anything else would actually compel me to finish replaying this game with its vague directions, poor collision detection and still somewhat wonky camera.

Again, its really quite gorgeous to look at and the fights can be quite fun. But the story, the sluggish start and the collisions make for a rather frustrating game sometimes.
  4. Sep 10, 2013
    Still an amazing game, and even better now that it's in HD. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix retains all the wonderfulness that it did 11 years ago. I was very much impressed with the game visually, as many of the rough edges have been smoothed over with an HD finish that makes the game look much better. I would have been content with it just being Kingdom Hearts 1, but it's also Re:Chain of Memories, and the cutscenes of 358/2 Days redone in HD, both of which are very welcome additions. This is also the first time Kingdom Hearts Final Mix has come to the states making this game even more appealing, with a few added cutscenes, different textures for many heartless, an extra secret boss, and even an extra secret ending. The ONLY problem I have with the game is that they still haven't fixed the camera, which will sometimes leave you unable to see what you're fighting, however they did move the camera controls to the right analog stick instead of the shoulder buttons which is a welcome change. It wasn't so bad though that it prevented me from enjoying the game thoroughly and giving it a 10/10 Expand
  5. Sep 11, 2013
    Game is everything it was and then some. The updated graphics make everything feel smooth and the overall gameplay feels better with the improvements. One of the things I am most happy to see is simply the new action button being triangle like 2 instead of having the attack switch to it. Wish I could actually play 358/2 days but hearing the story was fun too. Hopefully enix will release KH2 final mix with BBS and maybe D3 with it as well. Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2013
    Coming into this series as a new player. I was rather disappointed. While the game's use of Disney characters and themes is charming, everything else feels really dated and obsolete.

Gameplay wise you have a bad camera, awkward movement, terrible platforming sections, a completely boring travel mini-game and uninspired combat. Equipping basic items is a chore, there is no way to compare
    weapons when you purchase them and many in game decisions are made without any context. I find myself running away from the awful combat a lot because of all the back and forth between level sections caused by the game's inherent lack of direction or guidance. The levels themselves are very small and feel cramped; especially when you're constantly being jumped by a ton of small enemies.

Story wise, I'm sad to say that the Disney characters completely outshine the Square Enix characters. The protagonist is boring, there are plenty of plotholes, and the game's pacing seems really off. The voice acting is superb for the Disney characters but again, terrible for the Square Enix ones. The music is really jarring and repetitive, which is a shame when you consider that Disney has this huge library of musical scores from all these different franchises to fall back on.

Graphically, the game is a mix of good and bad. Most character models look really nicely done, but when the camera zooms in on faces and the blur comes into play you can really tell it's an old game. While the enemy models look really polished,a lot of the backgrounds and items in the background seem to have low resolution textures.

All in all, I think this game relies way too much on nostalgia, as is evident by the majority of reviews on metacritic. This is a mediocre game at best, and the fact that Square Enix wants $40 for what seems like a rather minor graphical update makes me feel a little bit sad.
  7. Sep 29, 2013
    I applaud the idea of re-releasing the series in a high definition format. The compilation includes the original Kingdom Hearts; dubbed Final Mix and includes various additions to the original title. New enemies, new bosses, new synthesis materials, new abilities, new cut scenes and the introduction of trophies. The battle between light and darkness is at the forefront of every world and the protagonist sets on a journey to reunite with his friends. Although relatively short, the game is enjoyable as the player relives the slightly altered adventures of Disney's favoured cartoon characters. This title will be individually rated as 7/10. Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories continues the Kingdom Hearts franchise in a new area where the protagonist once again relives the worlds encountered in the original title. This title is extremely repetitive with the same boss mechanics in the original game. The battle system completely revamped and focuses on a card system which at first is difficult to master. Although different this title was some what disappointing and very frustrating to earn the platinum trophy. For these reason the title has been individually rated as 4/10. The final title in the compilation is Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days which has been included as a collection of cut scenes that runs simultaneously with Chain of Memories up until the introduction of Kingdom Hearts 2. Due to this title not being an actual game it will not be individually rated. Combing both ratings this title has been rated as 6/10. The compilation is recommended for the younger audience or those whom are wishing to relive the series prior to the release of the Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD and Kingdom Hearts 3. Collapse
  8. Nov 9, 2013
    The original Kingdom Hearts for PS2 was one of the sleeper hits I think I only tried on a whim the first time around. The concept, a merging of Final Fantasy and Disney, struck me as odd. As it turns out, not only was it incredibly fun, but the concept actually worked. It was a pleasure to encounter classic Disney characters and take on favorites like Cloud, or meet Aerith in a new setting.

So basically when I heard it was getting the HD treatment for PS3 I was very psyched.

Graphics:
    KH HD is bright and beautiful, and looks great on a wide screen HD TV. The artists did a wonderful job on the upgrade. It's not going to have that realistic quality you see on a game like Final Fantasy XIII--it occasionally looks a little polygonated still--but it works really well.

Story:
    The story is unchanged from the original. All the different Disney worlds exist in a connected universe, and these shadows called the Heartless around going around destroying those worlds. Our hero, a young boy named Sora, has to travel around with his magic keyblade and seal the worlds against the Heartless.

It's ridiculous, but relatively fun.

Gameplay:
    So, here's where I have mixed feelings about the game. The gameplay is basically unchanged from ten years ago, and that's both good and bad. Because things that I accepted back then now annoy me as they've been phased out of game design a bit. The platforming, in particular, was sometimes more frustrating than fun. The way enemies sometimes spawn out of nowhere, repeatedly, and more pointedly, the amount the game makes me backtrack, was sometimes irritating. It was far too easy to fall off a ledge--or worse, be forced off by one by having to fight enemies--then having to backtrack through the same area five times. What do I mean having to fight enemies? Well you can't interact with the environment unless you clear all the enemies, which, in some areas is truly annoying.

Now, don't get me wrong, in the beginning and towards the end, I was truly enjoying reliving the experience. Taking down Cerberus in the arena (in fact all the arena fights) was still awesome, and some of the later fights were classic. There were times, however, when I felt the game showing its age. I simply don't have the patience for some things I did back then.
  9. Sep 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm astonished to find that the first Kingdom Hearts' gameplay still holds up after more than a decade. I have played only a few HD remakes in the past, but this one is simply remarkable. It's also important to note that this is an HD version of KH Final Mix. For those that don't know what that means, Final Mix versions of KH games include new abilities, weapons, a new secret boss, and heartless have a different skin than the original. This might not be a huge deal, but huge Kingdom Hearts fans have been waiting for this for years. As I said earlier, the gameplay holds up well even by modern standards and fighting feels responsive.

The other titles in the package are also very well polished. Chain of memories is one of my favorite titles in the series and it marks the first appearance of the Organization. Using cards to fight might be weird at first, but after a while you begin to love the strategic element of cancelling your opponent's cards and using sleights to take down bosses. This game has some really cool boss fights comparable to KH2.

Some may find that 358/2 Days being unplayable is disappointing. However, I believe that it is the weakest title in the series gameplay wise. The story I found very emotional, so I was happier than most when I found out it is only in theater format. I found the DS version to be a drag to play through and only the story kept me playing. What I am really trying to get across is if you have never played 358/2 Days, you are not missing out on anything. Just watch the movie and enjoy the magic. You are experiencing this story in a better format than the DS game.

Final thoughts:

This is HD remake done right. Square has taken 3 amazing titles and packaged it into one low cost disc. I hope other developers take note of what Square Enix has done with KH 1.5
  10. Oct 31, 2013
    Great compilation with the first game of the franchise and one of the best games of PS2. Besides Chain of Memories and 358/2 days, very important games that connects with Kingdom Hearts II (2.5 HD remix in 2014!). Must buy for fans and JRPG lovers.
  11. Oct 15, 2013
    This is the absolute best form of this game...if you've been meaning to replay it or have never played it there is no reason not to get this version! Any review that says they didn't add enough or that it isn't fresh (i'm looking at you Toronto Sun!) is absolutely silly...it's like releasing a classic movie on DVD or Blu-Ray for the first time and giving it a bad review because they didn't add newly shot scenes or redo the special effects etc...it doesn't make any sense!!!! It's a chance for a new audience to get ahold of an enhanced version of a CLASSIC (and why would we want classics altered? remember STAR WARS). ok there it is... Expand
  12. Sep 14, 2013
    Kingdom Hearts has always been one of my favorite games of all time and it's great to see it as polished up as it is. There's a ton of content to be had and it's especially great that they seem to give newcomers and veterans alike a chance to start (or restart) their journey to Kingdom Hearts 3. It's a great polish to one of my favorite games. Definitely Recommended!
  13. Sep 27, 2013
    This is quite possibly the best HD collection to come out for the PS3 i mean without this game the PS2 would never been what it was now of course there are many bad things about it but you have to give it some slack there are only so many things they can improve about two games from the early to mid 2000's and one game from the DS. I've read some of the more worse reviews on here such as Emporia's, Spizer's, or JohnnySnowstorm's and they just don't take that into account, even some of the critic reviews too such as the Toronto Sun.But if you push away the bad things like the bad camera angles and the facial expressions out of cut-scenes you have one of the greatest jewels of PS2 gaming. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix has a great story, beautiful graphics, and a great combat system.Now onto Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories this game is the game in the series was the worst of the bunch the card break system gets quite annoying and tedious and the story lacks what it needs to draw in the player.A good plot.But nevertheless it is still a pretty good game.And the first one to come out on to a handheld system, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days probably the worst of the handheld Kingdom Hearts and i say that for one reason and on reason only.The gameplay can get very repetitive with the new combat menu but still the story is great with new HD cut-scenes so yaaaay less reading! So yeah if you pass by this game definitly pick it up its very well worth it. Expand
  14. Nov 1, 2013
    I have never played Kingdom Hearts before, but now it was an incredible experience on Ps3. If you have a playstation, then it is (and the 2.5 remix) a must-have. I'm really happy, that they've released this game for the current gen.
  15. Dec 6, 2013
    Great HD remake of kingdom hearts. If you've played it before then you'll know what to expect and for those that haven't, this would be a great time to jump. The graphics definitely look nicer and it's really great that they bundled the in between games especially for people like me who aren't fans of little spin off games that come out for the handhelds. Mostly because that means I have to buy handheld or other platform to play and I rather just stick to the main story. With this 1,5 remix though I can experience those spin off games as well as refresh my memory on the main story and prepare for KH3. It's a shame they didn't do anything about the camera though as it still feels to close to the character and sometimes you'll have a problem seeing things or the enemy but it's nothing new that you haven't experienced before if you've played it for PS2 and there aren't any new problems which is a big plus. For 40$ though it's a bit pricey so I highly recommend getting it on special like I did for 20$. Expand
  16. Feb 23, 2014
    It is the classic we all learned to love, back with gorgeous HD graphics. The characters are just like we remember them and the story is as charming as ever. It is a shame the mechanics have not aged well... the camera is an ATROCITY and platforming is a nightmare to current standards. It is a long game, with a lot to do and explore. And if you have the patience to forgive the aged mechanics you will discover (or re-discover) a great game that stole our hearts forever, back in the PS2 era. A must have for any collection, but they should have revamped the mechanics as well. Really, really outdated. Expand
  17. Dec 18, 2013
    I tried the first game and never got to the other games/videos on the disc.
    I rarely buy new games but this one I bought new from day one, that's how excited I was. But after a while a noticed the gameplay is pretty boring and repetitive, it's just slow button bashing (you can bash fast but the character won't swing the giant key any faster). And what's worse is that the camera is pretty
    bad, it's supposed to be better then the original but it's still pretty annoying and I couldn't control it properly.
    I especially expected the story to be more interesting and engaging but I was disappointed. It was very slow movies, a cliché and pretty boring to be honest.
    Big disappointment.
  18. Oct 15, 2013
    This game is amazing
    I remember being a young kid playing the first kingdom hearts and I get the same thrill playing this remake.
    People have said that is the same game but what they fail to grasp is that this is the final mix edition which unless you utorrented it or emulated it, there was no way to play the final mix version. This is the first time that a final mix was brought to North
    America and it offers so much more to the game. To top it off, the graphics are great. I love this game and though I have drifted away from gaming, there are certain franchises I am still a die hard fan for. with that being said, my view is most likely bias but, kingdom hearts is my most favorite game franchise to ever been made, and this remake did not disappoint me one bit. Expand
  19. Oct 29, 2013
    Even though Square Enix has brought better visuals into one of the most beloved series in gaming playing through the series truly shows how it has aged. The game becomes repetitive and loses itself in it's own story. Kingdom Hearts is still a great series but it isn't what everyone makes it out to be, leave the fanboy at the door and you'll see that the original titles have not aged well.
  20. Oct 6, 2013
    The game is outdated. However it's still fun to play. The combat feels smooth, graphic is simple, best OST I've ever heard and Also the story is breathtaking. But i disapointed in some feature. 1. No maps in Final mix, 2. Gummi ship annoys me, 3. Bad background graphic, 4. Cant play full gameplay of 358/2 days. However, it will be a good experience to all of gamers to play this game because there is Kingdom Hearts 3 coming up soon. Expand
  21. Dec 26, 2013
    Everything done to a immensely high standard, whoever approved the idea of having the Kingdom Hearts series HD re-released is awesome. Unlike many games this was just as amazing and captivating playing it now as it was playing it for the first time. Masterpiece.
    Admittedly the "movie" segment of the collection is quite boring in that format, however i don't think that should take away
    from the other 2 games. Expand
  22. Dec 7, 2013
    As much as I would LOVE to give this game a perfect 10, I can't, because I must be honest. The updates for the most are to the games benefit, the colors are brighter, improved interface, and a mostly fixed camera (make sure you turn off chase cam). However, due to the updated visuals, the static faces on the characters that appear when the camera isn't close up, stick out like sore thumbs. Most of the rest of the issues come from Re;Com and 358/2 Days. Re:Com has always been the black sheep of the franchise, and it is all the more clear here. The gameplay in it could have been slightly re-worked like the KH1, but they chose not too. 358/2 days however is the biggest offender. Making it a 3-hour movie is kind of a silly idea to begin with, but the fact that it is just SO BORING makes it extremely difficult to watch. All in all, I really appreciate the updates to KH1, but perhaps the other two games should have been left out. Expand
  23. Sep 11, 2013
    One of my favorite games growing up I am extremely glad that they decided to remaster this game. This bundle is a great way to get the core story of kingdom hearts without having to own multiple portables and consoles since the events of 365 and Birth by sleep are added in a convenient, yet very angst filled cinematic. The kingdom hearts 1 and 2 have aged well in most areas with the exception of the gummy ship which still feels sluggish at best. I don't see the wonky camera as an issue since I manually control it. Expand
  24. Oct 5, 2013
    In my opinion, the best HD port so far on any console. The nostalgia is thick, the feeling is magic. I remembered these games fondly and today that feeling is only strengthened. Although the games shows its age graphically and gameplay aspects, its a welcome return of an older RPG. I don't know what people expected, complaining about parts of the game such as camera angles and visuals. Its game over 10 years old. You have to respect the amount of work and difficulty into porting a game like that with a facelift and three entire stories all onto the PS3. Its to be commended. The graphics are beautiful with their new lick of paint, although its more noticeable in Chain Of Memories, Final Mix is still one of the best games released. Really looking forward to the future of the franchise, and hopefully a HD Remix 2.5. Expand
  25. Oct 10, 2013
    I would have rated this higher if the price was at least $10 cheaper. For me, $40 was worth it. I haven’t played KH since the original came out about 11 years ago, I’ve never played the Final Mix version, never played Chain of Memories of the other game included, and I have small kids who loved watching me play. Others may find the asking price a bit steep considering they mostly sharpened the graphics of a couple of games that were already released.

Still, I enjoyed the Final Mix version of the first Kingdom Hearts a great deal. I like the tweaks to the gameplay, I like the changes to the synthesis shop and I like the new villains they added to each world that give you rare drops and require some strategy to beat. Farming for items to use in synthesis did not feel like an unbearable chore and I did things in this version that I never did in the original, like make the Ultima Weapon and beat Phantom. And the Sephiroth fight is still one of the most memorable boss fights ever, IMO. He’s tougher here than he was in FF7.

That being said, I’m not a fan of Re: Chain of Memories. The gameplay is confusing and lame. I read it was card-based and thought that meant some sort of turn-based or strategic system, but you still have to run Sora around a 3-D plane as in the first game and hit the attack button, only now you also have to pay attention to what card in your deck is selected. So your basic keyblade attacks are now cards and have different values that have to be higher than the enemy’s attack card, and there are also tons of other cards you keep getting, which requires you to manage your card deck since you can only take a limited of cards into battle, etc. It’s tedious and makes you wish you were playing the first game.

Still, some people will like it and it’s a whole extra game included with the package, so I won’t fault Square for it being there. Likewise with the third game, which isn’t actually a game but essentially a cutscene viewer of movies from the third game in the series. From what I hear, the third game was not very good and we’re not missing much by it not being included. I still haven’t watched the movies b/c at some point I plan of forcing myself to finish Chain of Memories, but hey, it’s an extra provided in the package.

Bottom line is, if you were a fan of the first game and have never played Final Mix, you should get this. If you’re new to the series, you should probably rent, get a used copy or wait for a sale. KH:FM is not a perfect game by any means, but overall it is a lot of fun and something I think any ARPG fan can enjoy if they can get past the Disney characters.
  26. May 14, 2014
    Another excellent HD collection from Square Enix who have been targetting something nobody else has: 1080p. Yes, much like Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 runs in 1080p and while it doesn't have the benefit of upgraded textures/models etc, the art style alone is more than enough to save it. For a game of it's age, Kingdom Hearts looks INCREDIBLE in 1080p. The colours just pop off the screen and the models and textures despite lacking an actual upgrade still look improved with nicely filtered textures and such. In my opinion, there should have only been one Kingdom Hearts HD Collection rather than 'each game with some other stuff' but despite that it's fairly decent value. That said, Kingdom Hearts is still Kingdom Hearts. It's wacky camera and wobbly controls are still the same as they always were. And if you felt the original difficulty wasn't punishing enough, there's now a Proud Mode so have fun with that. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 is unlikely to persuade you if you didn't like Kingdom Hearts way back when, but if you did, this is the best way to play it - and the extra Final Mix content is always a bonus too. Expand
  27. Sep 18, 2013
    compared to the original its way better but the jumping is still weird. graphic are good the hack and slash game play is still as awesome. and we got rechain of memories along with it so its definitely better
  28. Sep 27, 2013
    Kingdom Hearts holds up very well. This game was amazing back when it came out, now that it is updated with HD textures and more moves and weapons have been added, it is even better today. This game is a must have for everyone!
  29. Sep 22, 2013
    pretty good game, with an interesting story too. i was a bit disappointed by the localization tho, at some moments it felt a bit weird. anyway, i felt some nostalgia went playing and this is what I was looking for I don't regret buying it
  30. Oct 10, 2013
    i love kingdom hearts.actually kingdom hearts the most amazing game ever ,everyone should play it ^_^
    thanks to the creatures im so exiting for Kingdom hearts 3
  31. Nov 20, 2013
    Kingdom hearts 1.5 is a must have for any fan of the franchise, (especially if you live in Europe). Kingdom hearts final mix adds a lot to the original game, (but the platforming jumps are still horrible) and re chain of memories is amazing. However, the best thing about it is the 358/2 days feature. It is a 2 hour complimation of cutscenes that tells the story of 358/2 days with new voice acting and amazing hd cutscenes. Expand
  32. Nov 22, 2013
    Its so fun! Story is huge! Combat is better! Looks gorgeous! Just play it.

Not a fan of playing as a kid, though I understand why. Platforming is iffy.
  33. Dec 24, 2013
    Starting to play now I was waiting for the last game on ps3 cd then realise was a story...but starting to play number 1 till 2...merry Christmas everyone
  34. Jan 16, 2014
    Amazing... enough said... people say graphics are outdated. not needed in this game graphics are just fine. if your looking at my review I'm not going spoil it just play the dam game and complete it. amazing story that brings back so many memories from my childhood when watching Walt Disney. and also the amazing Square Enix who developed final fantasy. it well deserves 10/10 and all other kingdom hearts games. Expand
  35. Jan 23, 2014
    Kingdom Hearts has been all over the radar since Kingdom Hearts II, its nice to see a remake of the original in HD. When I heard of ReMIX, I have to admit, I facepalmed a bit. But my worries were put aside to find out that it the game contained Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Re:Chain of Memories, and 358/2 Days. I completed both Final Mix and Re:Chain of Memories, but I was very disappointed to find out 358/2 Days... was nothing more than a series of cutscenes... What a bore. That took some of the enjoyment away from the whole experience. Anyway, for a HUGE nostalgia trip, I recommnd this game to add to your collect. Expand
  36. Feb 17, 2014
    Kingdom hearts what is there to be said about kingdom hearts, its fun, it has great combat, the Heartless are fun looking, Disney worlds are well made and have excellent layouts sora actually ages over the course of the series, and the villains are cool and unique but that's most of the pros the cons on the other hand is the story, good luck understanding the story after KH1 it just has too much going for it sometimes, the gummi ships in 1 are defiantly less fun then 2s and the new heartless are gimmicky as all hell and make grinding a even bigger pain then before Expand
  37. Sep 29, 2013

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix will probably not convince non-fans of the series. It’s the same type of cozy Disney/Square-Enix mix as always but also with the same type of bad controls and unbalanced difficulty level as the original.
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    The Kingdom Hearts series has aged and this just doesn't feel as much fun as it used to do. But if you're a fan, this is still worth checking out.
  3. An HD remake of the highest order. [Dec 2013, p.84]