7.6

1. Feb 8, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game, but obviously I didn't. Just remember that all reviews are written from a perspective. My perspective is someone who mainly plays MMO's, Sims and Elder Scrolls on the PC. So if you are a pc-gamer such as myself, then this review may have merit - if you hate and abhor all things PC-gaming, then feel free to ignore the rest of this. Or maybe, as othersI really wanted to like this game, but obviously I didn't. Just remember that all reviews are written from a perspective. My perspective is someone who mainly plays MMO's, Sims and Elder Scrolls on the PC. So if you are a pc-gamer such as myself, then this review may have merit - if you hate and abhor all things PC-gaming, then feel free to ignore the rest of this. Or maybe, as others have said, you have nothing else better to play right now and so this may be good for you too.

First, I will say there were a few things I liked. The story seemed okay, the graphics were cartoon-y, but not in what I feel is a bad way. The combat was fast and fluent , but you can still pause the game for pots or to change weapons, etc - just like other solo RPG's. There were quick slots at the bottom of the screen which I really liked - I hate having to hit every button to find the weapon or spell I want in Skyrim. Otherwise, I really felt like they took WoW, Rift, Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age, put them in a blender, and then just created a back story for it. It feels more linear than any Elder Scrolls game and like there is a bit of hand-holding involved - which is what I really disliked. BUT, others may be annoyed by the lack of linearity and back store in ES games. Then this game may be for you. Now, I've read in other places that if I would have just played for 5-7 hours, it becomes more open. I have a few other games I am playing right now that have kept me interested from the beginning so 5-7 hours is unacceptable.

And I'm sure there will be the naysayers so let me show you a few comparisons:
    In KOA you wake up and don't know your history (every elder scrolls game), and then you have to fight your way out of this "dungeon" area (Oblivion) all while being shown the finer points of the game. One of the first things I found after leaving the dungeon and continuing on with the story was a stone alter. When I clicked it, I got a buff (elder scrolls). I'm not sure why so many people care so much about whether this game "beats" Skyrim or not though. It's not like Salvatore or Shilling are going to pay you for kissing their butts and neither is anyone at EA. They will just continue to take your money! If you are on the fence about this game, I would say wait a few months until it goes on sale on Steam and then pick it up.
  2. Feb 9, 2012
    Really liking this game. It has a cartoony style such as in WoW mixed with a nice engine and feel ala Sykrim. The combat feels fast paced but not too complicated. Story may lack or not, but that is up to everyone else.
  3. Feb 11, 2012
    I have not stopped playing this game since it came out. There is just so much to do that you will tend to forget that there is even a main quest. The story is very good and the combat is very fun and addictive. I've played my share of RPGs. Open world, sandbox, action, you name it! In my opinion Reckoning is the best out there. It takes all the goods from an RPG and gives it the action ofI have not stopped playing this game since it came out. There is just so much to do that you will tend to forget that there is even a main quest. The story is very good and the combat is very fun and addictive. I've played my share of RPGs. Open world, sandbox, action, you name it! In my opinion Reckoning is the best out there. It takes all the goods from an RPG and gives it the action of God of War. This game is really God of War meets Skyrim. If you love RPGs please give this game a chance. I'm positive that if you really love RPGs you will not put this game down for a WHILE! Expand
  4. Mar 29, 2012
    This game is alright. This was one of the only RPGS i ever played where i skpped all side quest dialogue and did just ran from point a to point b
    COmbat was decent too
  5. Mar 31, 2012
    This is not a great game, nor is it a bad game. High points: world size is large and backstory (concerning the fae and other races) is consistently woven into the main and side quests and is at least mildly interesting. The graphics are not immersive but are otherwise of good quality - the main play areas (maps) are diversely painted though the different geographies have no impact onThis is not a great game, nor is it a bad game. High points: world size is large and backstory (concerning the fae and other races) is consistently woven into the main and side quests and is at least mildly interesting. The graphics are not immersive but are otherwise of good quality - the main play areas (maps) are diversely painted though the different geographies have no impact on play (it all works the same whether your in forest, plains or desert.) The role-playing element is non-existent - your dialogue interaction with NPC's serve only to acquire/update quests and be spoon fed backstory. Opportunities to alter game course with persuasion or dialogue options appear limited. Low points: combat system is simplistic and the game presents few real challenges. I am at best an average quality gamer and on normal level the game presents no difficulty. I'm about 60-70% through the game (estimated on portion of world map revealed) and have not touched the options to reswizzle your character (throughout the game you can change from fighter to rogue to sorceror focused character.) Why not? The game has given me no reason to. I knew that was an option so I started with what I assumed was the simplest model - put on some armor, grab a sword and start hacking. And to this point (my character level is somewhere in the 20's) I've had no reason to change. Further, the game gives you access to various maneuvers as you level but I can hardly tell you what they are because I don't have to care. Mash the square, pepper in the occasional dodge (circle) and the monsters fall like rain. The monsters fall into one of about 4 types and are easily dispatched. Mini-bosses and tougher monsters are child's play with the fate shift ability (monsters are essentially paused and you get to hack the crap out them while they do little or nothing to you.) Again, I'm on normal level and leveled in the 20's and I can't remember the last time I died. Heck, I hardly need health potions and if you do, they're as abundant as grass. (And if your answer is: the game is harder as a rogue or sorcerer, in my mind that's still a "fail" - my career choice should not affect difficulty at least to this degree.) Aside: like every other frpg I've ever played the economic system is broken (and therefore it does not factor into my rating.) There are multiple crafting options - potions, weapons, gems (for socketing into items) but there seems little reason to do so other than for the satisfaction of having done it. I put some effort into sagecrafting and it does make items better but as soon as I did it, I found a better option on fallen enemies or in treasure chests. Perhaps a simpler description: I have 800,000gp and nothing to spend it on.
    Conclusion: on normal setting, my simplistic, brute force play style should produce the occasional death or drive me to consider other tactics. (Counter example: in Uncharted 2 and 3 on normal, I died frequently enough to be annoying - which tells you about my skill level.)
    With all this negative feedback, why do you keep playing? I'm stubborn, spent over $50 on the game and I'm something of a dinosaur - hack and slash appeals to me. But if you're reading these reviews and thinking this game has a cool combat system - umm, No.
  6. Apr 21, 2012
    After putting sufficient time in this game. Is an above average game, I would say enjoyable for passing time. But I've to rate it down to 6 because the RPG element is so basic.

To be Super Honest, is a Hack and Slash Game, with very basic RPG element. Basic character development, nothing you do matters, or your conversation matters. 95% of the time you will still end up hacking and slashing to finish a quest. Applies to both Main and Side quest, and then multiply it by 70-80 hours then you have the game.

Monster you see in your first 20 hours, will be the same monster (with stronger stats) you see at End of game. Seriously.. thats BORING.

The monsters are super easy (even on Hard mode), most players now are finding ways to make it harder for our own satisfaction. Can see in almost every forums out there.

I can't help but feeling is EA way of trying to dumb down the game and also make it super easy for the mass market.

The game has potential, the ideas are there, but just lack the finishing touch, everything is left at the very basic level.
  7. May 8, 2012
    I really enjoyed my time with KOA: Reckoning. Story: While its not bad its really not great either. A good hook or twist that helps explain the game's lore but they really don't do anything with it. I found the main story to be a bit dull expect for a very moments. The factions quests, however, were much more fun, challenging and interesting. Game play: Easily the best part of the game.I really enjoyed my time with KOA: Reckoning. Story: While its not bad its really not great either. A good hook or twist that helps explain the game's lore but they really don't do anything with it. I found the main story to be a bit dull expect for a very moments. The factions quests, however, were much more fun, challenging and interesting. Game play: Easily the best part of the game. Combat is fun and fluid and easy to get into. While their aren't combos per se, their are timing based attacks that extend combos. It can get a little repetitive especially after you've leveled up some b/c you become really powerful which makes sense given the way they start the game but can also make the best part of the game kind of dull and boring. You pick up tons and tons of loot so you'll be either stashing it, breaking it down so you can craft weapons and armor, or selling it. Theirs a lot of crafting in the game, whether it be blacksmithing, stagecrafting, or alchemy with stagecrafting being the most unique and interesting. Stagecrafting allows you to make gems that your armor perks (like health regeneration for example) which i found to be a really interesting concept. Blacksmithing and alchemy are pretty straightforward and generic which was kind of a disappointment. You can also craft your character to whatever play style you want and re spec at any time by visiting a fateweaver. This level of openness in play style is rarely seen in rpgs and I hope more games allow this. Graphics/environments: This is probably the weakest part of the game for me. While I like the art style, I didn't some of the environments. The dungeons all looked the same and basically all played out the same way which was really disappointing. The graphics remind me of a mmo, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does look a tad out dated. Like I said, I really liked KOA: Reckoning. But it has a few flaws. But also brings new ideas to the table that I think more games should embrace. I wouldn't recommend paying full price, but its well worth it for $20-$30. Expand
  8. Dec 21, 2012
    Having loved Fable 2 on the Xbox i bought this for my PS3 and im loving it.......just give it time and get out of the mines...do 5 hours before you pass judgement.
    Combat is a nice mixture of hacking,cast a spell.... when there reeling back.....fire an arrow into them, great fun.
    Plenty of side missions and the world is fantastic to explore. The stealth mechanics are actually better
    Plenty of side missions and the world is fantastic to explore.
    The stealth mechanics are actually better than most games when you buff them up a bit on the skill tree,i like to go stomping in with my GreatSword but then sometimes i like to sneak around and i like the fact i can do both competently.

Kingdoms of Amulur for fun , Demon's Souls for serious.
  9. Oct 23, 2013
    FANTASTIC! Loved this game! Loads or exploring, lore, gear and sidequests to do with an amazing combat system! I never found enough things to kill. IGNORE THE TROLLS. Loads of reviews by people who haven't even played. This is a must buy for RPG players!
  10. Nov 17, 2013
    KoA:R is an incredibly fun game, that is loaded with story, but short on depth.
    KoA:R is an incredibly fun game, that is loaded with story, but short on depth.
    Pros: The Lore (written by R.A. Salvatore) is top notch with an immersive world and a story that doesn't lose steam from the get-go. And while the main story is rather short, the numerous side quests (read: more than 100) certainly provide a "bang for your buck." The graphics are crisp, while the sounds and soundtrack are top notch. I definitely recommend playing it once to completion, especially if you're an open world RPG fan.
    Cons: Firstly, the crafting system leaves a lot to be desired. It's disheartening to throw skill points into Blacksmithing, and have your newly minted weapons out-statted by the next John Q. Vendor you come across. I found more of the underwhelming ho-hum to be evident in Sagecrafting or Alchemy as well. The controls are a little loose as well. It's easy to get turned around in battle which becomes frustrating when you're fighting three wolves who all are timing their respective howl and charge at you one second apart from each other.
    Rundown: It's definitely a game I'd pick up (though not at the new $60 price) for a fun adventure. The ending didn't leave me with a desire to play it again (a la Mass Effect or Dragon Age), but it certainly was a fun romp my entire playthrough.
  11. Nov 18, 2013
    This game is by far the worst game I have ever played. Graphics are plain ,ugly and utterly revolting. Gameplay is repetitive simply mash and dodge. Sound is horrible all the npc voices are horrendous the hits have no impact and feel like hitting a pillow and there are some reused assets from dragon age another terrible game. Story is pointless and boring. If you are searching for a realThis game is by far the worst game I have ever played. Graphics are plain ,ugly and utterly revolting. Gameplay is repetitive simply mash and dodge. Sound is horrible all the npc voices are horrendous the hits have no impact and feel like hitting a pillow and there are some reused assets from dragon age another terrible game. Story is pointless and boring. If you are searching for a real action rpg look towards Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, or Dragon's Dogma or just play Shadow of the Colosuss which are far better games. All in all avoid at all costs. Expand
  12. Feb 7, 2012
    This is a fantastic game, primarily because it was made by Curt Schilling. What more do you really need to know? I'm a Yankees fan and even I respect the guy. And he made a video game! I'm swooning! In all seriousness, this is actually a really great game. I do prefer it over Skyrim. This game tries new things where Skyrim just retreads old ground. In five years nobody will be playingThis is a fantastic game, primarily because it was made by Curt Schilling. What more do you really need to know? I'm a Yankees fan and even I respect the guy. And he made a video game! I'm swooning! In all seriousness, this is actually a really great game. I do prefer it over Skyrim. This game tries new things where Skyrim just retreads old ground. In five years nobody will be playing Skyrim, but there's nothing quite like Amalur at this time, and there's a good chance I'll still be playing it in five years. Highly recommended.

(Also, I hear there's a mission where you paint blood on a sock, but I've not gotten to it yet.)

(Oh, also, how much do you think those Diamondbacks hated Byung-Hyun Kim after Game 4 and 5? Holy S.)
  13. Feb 7, 2012
    Sweet combat system, stunning graphics, fantastic gamer support and feedback from devs online, better storyline than Dark Soul's and Skyrim both. I have no idea what people like Adam Sessler are smoking but they obviously have double standards. Since reviewers like him seem to only be able to compare games like this to Skyrim... Kingdoms of Amalur IMO has better combat, storyline, andSweet combat system, stunning graphics, fantastic gamer support and feedback from devs online, better storyline than Dark Soul's and Skyrim both. I have no idea what people like Adam Sessler are smoking but they obviously have double standards. Since reviewers like him seem to only be able to compare games like this to Skyrim... Kingdoms of Amalur IMO has better combat, storyline, and graphics versus Skrim not to mention FAR less bugs and MUCH better support from devs. Expand
  14. Feb 8, 2012
    After 1 hour of play, it gets really boring. The shining coat wears off. The animation of voice acting is very 2000. The special combat turns into something bothersome. I just want to kill the monster and move on. It looks special the first time but not the 50th time. UI is not something to write home about on the PC version. After one hour, I do not care about any of the NPC or the story.After 1 hour of play, it gets really boring. The shining coat wears off. The animation of voice acting is very 2000. The special combat turns into something bothersome. I just want to kill the monster and move on. It looks special the first time but not the 50th time. UI is not something to write home about on the PC version. After one hour, I do not care about any of the NPC or the story. I thought the action will keep me going but as said before. It gets stale. It seems to me this game just want to ride the popular names and rake in money while they can. If you really want to play the game, wait till Steam has it on sale. It will not be long. Expand
  15. Feb 8, 2012
    Have been gaming 30 years in some fashion or another and a gotta tell you this game as far as rpg's go is a breath of fresh air and exactly what the industry needed.All the other big name rpg publishers will have to change up their games to have this kind of fun gameplay,most rpg's feel like a chore to play but this one is incredible...way to go 38 and bhg good job..:)
  16. Feb 10, 2012
    Overall I found KOA to be more fun than the the sum of its parts. Even if most of those parts borrow heavily from many other more popular rpg's. Combat is fluid and fun, there's lots of great loot to search for, and the world just looks and feels right to me. After logging about 20+ hours the only issues I can find are minor issues with the camera/targeting, and that the story is a bitOverall I found KOA to be more fun than the the sum of its parts. Even if most of those parts borrow heavily from many other more popular rpg's. Combat is fluid and fun, there's lots of great loot to search for, and the world just looks and feels right to me. After logging about 20+ hours the only issues I can find are minor issues with the camera/targeting, and that the story is a bit lacking. That is not to say I don't like the story, but that I think that the idea of being one whom is reborn with no destiny and the ability to change the world for better or worse could have been so much more than what it is. I would have liked to have seen a bit more impact to other or the world depending on decisions made. Expand
  17. Feb 11, 2012
    An excellent game for any RPG-lover. I am now 11 hours into the game and am completely overwhelmed by all of the content. Sure critics can say that it's not really innovative, but neither was Skyrim! and no one ever complained about Skyrim being bland. Kingdoms of Amalur is almost completely bug-free. The gameplay is very nice and is easy to get used to. Environments are beautiful, howeverAn excellent game for any RPG-lover. I am now 11 hours into the game and am completely overwhelmed by all of the content. Sure critics can say that it's not really innovative, but neither was Skyrim! and no one ever complained about Skyrim being bland. Kingdoms of Amalur is almost completely bug-free. The gameplay is very nice and is easy to get used to. Environments are beautiful, however a little too bright at occasions. And the dialogues really are not that horrendous as people would like you to believe. It may feel a bit outdated but with the size of the game, that is forgiveable. 10/10 Expand
  18. Feb 8, 2012
    A couple things first. A 3, really? I mean I get that it might not be your cup of tea but it's in no way a BAD game! Negative reviews are always sour grapes. They are either from fanboys of other franchises or from people that got bored and decided to raid metacritic looking for games to dump on.

Now to my review! I am admittedly only about nine hours in so I can't give you a full review, I can't imagine anyone that wrote a user review could give you a full review since the game just came out yesterday and it takes over 200 hours to complete everything you can do it it. There hasn't been enough time to even do half of that yet. From what I have seen so far. This game has been a lot of fun to play. I know a lot has been made about the combat and there's good reason for that, it rocks! I really like the environments I've been to so far and I have found most (not all) of the characters I've met very interesting and I enjoy the dialog and story as well.

So this or may not be your "thing" but it's working out pretty well for me!
  19. Feb 9, 2012
    this game was even better then i expected.. its a perfect game,,, the music the animations and it has a great story,, the dificulty level is just right, and the quests are varried and none of them seem to be fillers they all relate to the story
  20. Feb 10, 2012
    Hello, Please help scoreing games people. Don't just give it a 10 or a Zero I posted a review on Reckoning forum prior to release to see if I would get any response as they were wanting feedback on the demo.. I never did. Here it is.
    Wondering if we will feel freedom of movement ?
    PC . Mouse / keyboard 1600X1050 widescreen I've played the demo 4 times now with different characters. First
    Wondering if we will feel freedom of movement ?
    PC . Mouse / keyboard 1600X1050 widescreen

I've played the demo 4 times now with different characters. First Impressions:
    The Story line I found engaging and interesting. The combat is beautifully fluid and fun. The graphic style is correct in look for 2012 and I like the solid look of the beasts. About the camera, I was surprised that I couldn't look straight up. It gave me the impression there's a ceiling. And not being able to use the wheel mouse to zoom to MY tastes was missing. The "reckoning" portion of combat is a masterpiece. new fresh and the feeling of greatness was nice. Cons: The feeling of freedom is paramount. Not being able to jump or climb . I "didn't" know we are suppose to feel like we are always PASTED to the floor ! I do understand the game is a huge undertaking. And you list the game as "open world" BUT I expected to be able to swim AND explore underwater (Not just swim on the surface), or do what you would think as a simple thing as wading ankle deep in small pools of water something of that difficult a task not to be able to? I purchased Guild-wars as a pre-order. After finding out the SAME limitations I only played the game for the 30 days and dropped it afterwards not wanting to spend any more money on it. Mind you... I've played them ALL. Please respond to this posting and assure me these setbacks will be remedied in the future. Otherwise I'll have to cancel my pre-order. Thank everyone for the hard work that has been put into this adventure. (applause)
    The update to this post is that I did cancel my pre order... looks like I was correct in doing so.
  21. Feb 10, 2012
    Most will dismiss this game thinking they know better in the first few hours. I almost did. However, this game continued to get better and exceed my expectations. It's not going to come off as a fantasy simulation but rather a fun game. I would look to the critic reviews and like always ignore user reviews.
    For those out there that were so excited for the first Fable and ended totally
    For those out there that were so excited for the first Fable and ended totally disapointed and annoyed this is the game you were hoping for. I would so love to turn my toon into a fat tub of guts but with only that lacking this is a truly fun game.
  22. Caz
    Feb 11, 2012
    KOAR is one of those hidden gems. Overall, it's an amazing game, well delivered and well written with respectable replay value. As you would expect from a modern RPG, the world's population evolves as you progress through the storyline. The combat is engaging, though a little too easy for veteran gamers. The crafting, however, is where the game is lacking.

The RPG side of things is

The RPG side of things is well done. The VA is superb except in a few rare circumstances. Some NPCs are belligerent and rude as you walk up to them and then treat you like a long-time friend during some of the dialogue options. Even with that inconsistency, however, the VA is delivered beautifully. The Fae are a foreign society and, as such, can be difficult to really empathize with. It must be stated, though, that is a redeeming quality and not a negative mark against the game's lore. Some of the concepts and ideals are not conveyed well enough to make them clear, however. House of Ballads is a great example of this. While talking about this particular timeline with a friend, he pointed out several things that weren't made clear until he explained them. Perhaps that's intentional to allow players a more personal interpretation of the faction. Regardless, it was delivered well and I genuinely felt a like and dislike of each supporting character I was interacting with.

It's debatable whether combat or story is the main focus of the game as both are so expertly done. Dodging, attacking, mixing attacks and countering based on various actions all make for a robust combat system. It needs to be said, however, that as of launch, the combat is far too easy for veteran gamers. You can use the same basic attacks to win most any fight. The beauty of the combat system is that you don't have to and, in a small way, are encouraged not to. The more flashy (varied) your combo, the more Fate you are rewarded with, thus allowing you to use Reckoning more often. Reckoning is, simply put, a way to earn bonus experience on kills.

And now we get to the reason I can't give KOAR a 10. The crafting. It's horrible. Everything about it feels as though it was a last minute thought and rushed to get it in. Salvaging is inconsistent, often netting you the lowest possible materials while leaving you in want of much better that are often easily purchased off a vendor anyway. Another downside to Salvaging is that you can fall back on the save/load trick that many gamers have used for years. It almost equates to cheating (save, salvage, load if didn't the material you wanted. rinse and repeat until you do). Actually making an item is simple enough, though. Sagecraft is lackluster at best. It's basically making gems, but there's little use for most of them. Alchemy suffers from that even more so. You rarely need potions for any circumstance and even when you do, you can easily have more than enough just from what you can find on vendors.

One last thing that prevents me from giving KOAR a 10 is lockpicking and dispelling. Lockpicking is insultingly easy. Ironically, I lose more picks on Easy locks than I do on Hard simply because I'm not paying attention. Dispelling is an interesting attempt to add a variation of the lockpicking system, but it's cumbersome and can often leave you afflicted with a curses that are oddly varied in their power. Some will make you more susceptible to fire, ice or lighting (-25% resist) while some will decrease your skills by several points (-3 to all skills). Having a -3 to all skills can greatly hinder your character in some events while a decrease in resistance is barely noticeable to the point it's trivial.

Overall, it's a top notch game and should see no problem in gaining a strong fan base.
  23. Feb 11, 2012
    First of all, let me just say, this game actually works on PS3! Huge success right there!

Presentation: The fit, finish, and polish of this game feels absolutely AAA to me. For an example of a game that is not AAA, play through Two Worlds II. I actually enjoyed TWII, but the fit and finish was nowhere near what we are presented with in Reckoning. I find the collapsible menus to be well laid out, even if slightly scroll intensive. I have had no problems whatsoever with any facet of the game working as it should, and this includes DLC, preorder DLC codes, saves, auto-saves, etc. . . The only issue I have found is during one cut scene the dialog was not synced exactly with the NPCâ
  24. Feb 11, 2012
    Kingdom of Amalur Reckoning is one of the best game I had played this year. Open world with plenty of quests to complete, you will be drawn to this fantasy world. The combat was very good too, had so much fun using faeblades with chakram. The only minor issue I had with this game is that the camera kinda close to my character, but that very minor and it didn't take away the fun I had withKingdom of Amalur Reckoning is one of the best game I had played this year. Open world with plenty of quests to complete, you will be drawn to this fantasy world. The combat was very good too, had so much fun using faeblades with chakram. The only minor issue I had with this game is that the camera kinda close to my character, but that very minor and it didn't take away the fun I had with this game. I must also praised the dev, for every dungeons I entered are unique and not recycled. The storyline is pretty good too. I have put in many good hours in this game and it has not freeze/lag on me, kudos to the dev for making a game this huge being so stable. Expand
  25. Feb 11, 2012
    Best RPG that I have played in a long long time...I just simply love the Art; Characters; Combat and the expansive world...Looking forward to more from 38 Stuios and Big Huge Games....Well Done!!!
  26. Feb 12, 2012
    Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning is to modern RPG what an action movie is to Cinema. Sure, a game like Skyrim is going to get better reviews from the critics. But let's be honest, you got bored half way through Skyrim and never touched it again. KoAR may not have a deep story, you will never find yourself emotionally invested in the characters, but you will have fun, lots of fun. And inKingdom of Amalur: Reckoning is to modern RPG what an action movie is to Cinema. Sure, a game like Skyrim is going to get better reviews from the critics. But let's be honest, you got bored half way through Skyrim and never touched it again. KoAR may not have a deep story, you will never find yourself emotionally invested in the characters, but you will have fun, lots of fun. And in the end, isn't that the point of a video game?

The game doesn't really add anything original to the genre, it feels more like a conglamoration of existing titles. The artwork is fantastic. It's a bit cartoony, but the world is vibrant and aesthetically pleasing in a way that's reminiscant of blizzard. The action is fantastic for an RPG.

Think of a summer blockbuster action movie. Sure, it ain't going to win an Oscar, but you'll have a lot of fun.
  27. Feb 15, 2012
    Love the game, I've played around 35 hours already and I'm as immersed as I was with Skyrim. I think they're very different worlds, both great games. Find it cool to have so many different monsters to fight against, the bright colours area welcome change as most games today are using safe subdued neutral colours. I can easily overlook its small faults, as the first franchise of a newLove the game, I've played around 35 hours already and I'm as immersed as I was with Skyrim. I think they're very different worlds, both great games. Find it cool to have so many different monsters to fight against, the bright colours area welcome change as most games today are using safe subdued neutral colours. I can easily overlook its small faults, as the first franchise of a new studio. It's not a 10, out of 10, but the fun factor makes it a 9 for me. I hope the game sells enough for the studio to survive the cut and make a bigger budget sequel. Expand
  28. Feb 15, 2012
    I love this game: I would have to disagree with anyone who gave this lower than an 8. Its graphics while not the best are still really good, instead of taking a realistic look there is a beautiful comic looking environment akin to world of warcraft. On PS3 (where the full install is required) I have noticed very few flaws with the exception of some sound dialog glitches (far and fewI love this game: I would have to disagree with anyone who gave this lower than an 8. Its graphics while not the best are still really good, instead of taking a realistic look there is a beautiful comic looking environment akin to world of warcraft. On PS3 (where the full install is required) I have noticed very few flaws with the exception of some sound dialog glitches (far and few between and will hopefully be patched). While the game doesnâ Expand
  29. Feb 19, 2012
    I am enjoying this game MUCH more than I thought I would. I tried the demo not long before the finished game reached retail release and I was not impressed. My initial thought was "Salvatore and Rolston did THIS?!" After being "spoiled" by TES and it's many open wonders (and wanders) I was left thinking about how I could ever love this game as much as I adore Morrowind. Short answer:I am enjoying this game MUCH more than I thought I would. I tried the demo not long before the finished game reached retail release and I was not impressed. My initial thought was "Salvatore and Rolston did THIS?!" After being "spoiled" by TES and it's many open wonders (and wanders) I was left thinking about how I could ever love this game as much as I adore Morrowind. Short answer: I can't. BUT... I put myself in Fable mode.. and it made sense. Perfect sense. This game is what I wish ANY of the Fable series could have been. It's missing only two things that the Fable series did in spades: great comedic elements and Real Estate Mogul-ing. The combat is fantastic.. and I've only experienced a Rogue/Sorcerer hybrid at lvl 15 up until this point. Gotta say, though... loving the diversity in the skillsets. The graphics are actually rather nice. The developers did not want gritty realism, nor did they want Warcraft-esque blocks of bright colors. They added the correct details in the correct places and kept it all in great order. The overall artistic design, while nothing new, can sometimes floor you. I was running around in a cave beating the life out of Jotunn and, all of a sudden, I emerge from the cave onto a ledge with a HUGE forest sprawling beneath me and a very impressively done sunset with purples and pinks and blues in the sky and a single beam of light shining down, with fantasy-standard (but nonetheless impressively placed) Will-o-the-Wisps flitting about while behind and to the sides of me portions of the craggy cave opening and the walls ascending to meet the splendor of the skies above. I sat for a few minutes and took it all in. I did feel the pangs of want for near-infinite exploration (a la TES series) when I was in a different cave and stumbled upon an entire buried city stretching off into the distance of an immense cavern and the near devastating want for exploration into said abandoned metropolis, but I just had to take it all in stride. I put myself back into Fable mode immediately and just said "Oooh.. pretty... MUST KILL MORE!"

I don't have many true complaints about the game. My one glaring concern is the lack of mobility in general. I can run into something no taller than street curb and, since jumping is absent, I am forced to move around it (the long way.) In yet another cavern I was met with a meager collapse of the top wall which left not more than one foot of debris at my feet... yet I can do nothing about it. Any other person would have lifted their feet a few inches more than a standard step and continued walking (albeit it with only slightly more exertion) past it all to explore more of the cave... Sadly, I was forced to turn around due to being rather challenged in the department of vertical movement. But, yet again, mental Fable-mode and I was back to enjoying the game in a heartbeat, thanks to the rather wonderful piece of loot I found only moments before.

Which brings us to the Loot system. Wow... I find just as much crap (and amazing, nearly nerdgasm-inducing) pieces of gear and items in the strangest places as I would in a TES game. Thanks to a rather random placement of objects in the game-world I have been able to find amazing bows mere feet away from "Tattered Documents." (which are as useless as they sound) My gripe is the initial limitation to said system. Easily overcome later in the game with backpacks (the initial price of backpacks may seem daunting, but as you progress you will have a rather substantial amount of money)

The skill system, combat ability trees, and crafting systems are all very well done. Since you cannot earn enough points to max all skills and abilities this actually leaves a lot of room for replay, or, if you wish, the ability to respec your character at almost any given time (for an ever-increasing nominal fee, of course) allows for some fantastic experimentation. Go from being a full-on arch mage hurling meteors from space into the brittle heads of Kobolds to a crossbreed Knight/Assassin with the ability to steal health and gold with every hit while remaining virtually undetected. As you progress and find more and more crafting materials, you are able to create more and more amazing weapons and armor, and tons of equally amazing gems to socket them with. If you can become a grandmaster in these, you can actually fabricate better equipment than the top-tier stuff the devs give you.. plus you can name it yourself. (I have a set of leggings named Ron Jeremy's Favorites)

I'm waiting patiently for a co-op campaign DLC that won't break my pocketbook (oh how I long for the days when games were shipped completed for full-price)

All in all this is a game to be played. Incredibly stable and 98% bug free (amazing, huh?) Pick it up, however you can. (Nothing illegal, please.)
  30. Feb 27, 2012
    There are two main reason I was disappointed with this game. First it is certainly not an open world game (which it was advertised as) and it is structured weirdly, it has large open regions that you progress through but the world as a whole is not open at all. The second is that the story and presentation of the game did not draw me in and make me care in the slightest about my characterThere are two main reason I was disappointed with this game. First it is certainly not an open world game (which it was advertised as) and it is structured weirdly, it has large open regions that you progress through but the world as a whole is not open at all. The second is that the story and presentation of the game did not draw me in and make me care in the slightest about my character or the world, it failed to show any original material to make me think this game was worth playing. Also the combat started out fun but rapidly got old. Played for about 15 hours, had a relatively good time but I got bored of it. Overall I am disappointed with this game but it doesn't deserve too bad a review score as it was fun at times. Expand
  31. Feb 29, 2012
    First off, I was SUPER EXCITED for this game. All the interviews and pre-release footage made me hope for an RPG that was as good as Skyrim in story, atmosphere and open-world gameplay, yet with refined action combat so that the countless hours I was gonna spend playing would be fun and, most importantly, challenging. But this game turned out to be a letdown. I'm 50 hours in and haveFirst off, I was SUPER EXCITED for this game. All the interviews and pre-release footage made me hope for an RPG that was as good as Skyrim in story, atmosphere and open-world gameplay, yet with refined action combat so that the countless hours I was gonna spend playing would be fun and, most importantly, challenging. But this game turned out to be a letdown. I'm 50 hours in and have absolutely no desire to finish this game anymore. When I first started my new game I was incredibly motivated to keep playing, explore the world and do as much sidequests as possible. The combat is fast, fluid and really felt like, well, combat (as opposed to e.g. Skyrim). The skill system seemed fine and I very much enjoyed the first 15 hours of the game as rogue, hacking, slashing and backstabbing my enemies. I also appreciate that both rogue and warrior have access to magic. The abilities are fun and fit well into the playstyle of each class. The cartooney style of the world isn't exactly 'beautiful', but it worked for me, granted the size of the game I didn't care all that much about graphics. To this point I was happy I bought the game. As I continued playing though, I noticed how the game wasn't increasing in difficulty. Sure, I could still pull off sick combos to make the combat more fun, but it really would've been enough to just mash the square/triangle buttons the whole time. To spice things up a little I decided to reset my skills and tried out different classes. At this point, as I realised how easy COMPLETELY overhauling your character is, and how you wouldnt have to face any consequences, like being a really weak warrior when you were a mage before, I started to lose interest in my character. Usually you care about your character in an RPG and about the decisions you make, but in this game, where you have absolutely no disadvantages for doing whatever the hell you like, this is not the case. There is no reason for you to really commit to this game, and this is what really bugs me. We were promised a "hardcore open world RPG with fast action combat", but what we got is a mediocre button masher that has RPG elements like an open world, lots of quests and skill trees. These RPG elements however are so badly put together, that this can't be called a real RPG. Let's take a look at each aspect more closely:
    The world: It's big, more or less open, has capital cities and lots of dungeons. Exploring it might be fun at first, but as the world isn't fully open (like Skyrim) and you're unable to jump, you cant scale cool structures you might come across or get into really secret places, which ruins the overall experience. Other than loads of random loot, of which only about 5% are useful, there is no real reward in exploring. Even finding set pieces becomes annoying as they are very frequent and often pretty useless (also there are basically no item requirements, another reason why not to care about your character and equipment). The world quickly gets boring, as every big area is divided into 5 to 8 smaller areas which basically look all the same. There are forests, plains, a canyon/desert and the obligatory dark/evil final-boss-area.
    Quests: Meaningless. That's probably the most accurate word to describe it. I appreciate how every NPC got its own little backstory and the voice acting is mediocre to good (the facial animations were truly terrible though). But the quests they give are always, ALWAYS, "get that thing out of that dungeon", "kill these guys" or "talk to that guy". The quest rewards are usually the same garbage you find when exploring and collecting random loot, so no point in delving into the storylines and paying attention to what's actually happening. The skill system: At first glance it might appear deep. As you continue playing, however, you quickly realise there is no depth at all and you'll quickly have reached the final talent in your tree not even halfway through the game. Getting your ultimate would feel like a huge accomplishment in any other RPG, not so in KoA. It sure is fun to use those talents at first, and you're very powerful when doing so (too powerful even), but it's impossible to care even the slightest about them, as you can reset your skills as you please. What disappointed me most, is that there is an OUTRAGEOUS imbalance between each skill tree. While it was fun to play rogue, playing a mage is so absurdly easy, that it's almost insulting to call this a video game. Even on the highest difficulty there is no challenge whatsoever. If you're not completely dull, you won't die, and as mage you'll one-shot downright everything. When I play an RPG, I want challenge, depth and a character I care about. KoA has none of these. It looked very promising, as it was supposed to breathe new life into the genre with its refined combat, but this game is nothing but a HUGE disappointment. 4 points for the fun start and how the game runs almost without bugs/glitches whatsoever.
  32. Mar 7, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is one of the most immersive and fulfilling RPG's to date. The Environments, Characters, Quests, Sounds and Combat are all exceptionally well done, and they all come together to create a cascade of colors and sounds which have never before been present in an RPG. The amount of content is amazing, and BigHuge has already made plans for more DLC. Kingdoms ofKingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is one of the most immersive and fulfilling RPG's to date. The Environments, Characters, Quests, Sounds and Combat are all exceptionally well done, and they all come together to create a cascade of colors and sounds which have never before been present in an RPG. The amount of content is amazing, and BigHuge has already made plans for more DLC. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a must-have in any gamers library.

"I used to like combat in Skyrim, until I played KoA"

Cheers,

Gloomz
  33. Mar 10, 2012
    I was very much delighted to experience Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. The combat did a fantastic job of making me feel like a super powered combatant while also presenting a challenge. The faction quests were interesting enough that I WANTED to complete them and the main quest was was masterfully unveiled. The graphics were a bit cartoony for this late in the current generation's lifeI was very much delighted to experience Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. The combat did a fantastic job of making me feel like a super powered combatant while also presenting a challenge. The faction quests were interesting enough that I WANTED to complete them and the main quest was was masterfully unveiled. The graphics were a bit cartoony for this late in the current generation's life cycle and the side quests were usually the generic fetch-quests that wasted timein my 65 hour playthrough. I recommend this to any open world RPG fan. Expand
  34. Apr 16, 2012
    I just wrapped up the main story to Amalur. To begin with, one of the best parts of this game: LOTS of content. You can easily get side-tracked off the main story with endless quests, hence why this review comes so late after the game's release. This was all together a very fun game, not a masterpiece but well worth your time and money. Graphically it is a beautiful game, not the darkI just wrapped up the main story to Amalur. To begin with, one of the best parts of this game: LOTS of content. You can easily get side-tracked off the main story with endless quests, hence why this review comes so late after the game's release. This was all together a very fun game, not a masterpiece but well worth your time and money. Graphically it is a beautiful game, not the dark shade of grey seen in Skyrim, but not the cartoony brilliance of Fable. There are fun colorful towns and dank dungeons and the art style captures both very well. The game does suffer from HORRIBLE screen draw at distance, especially in the open parts of the "world." Gameplay is excellent no matter what character type you decide to run with. The Fate system is a little cliche but being able to reset your abilities and not get locked into a certain character type from minute one is really nice, especially for RPG novices. The story is decent, but not exactly an Uncharted or AC2 killer. I found myself wanting at the end, with only average emotional involvement with the main story. Certain side quests I was definitely more interested in the outcome, especially when the game begins to present the good/evil action options. I would have no problem supporting the developer with a day one buy, there is plenty of content and intriguing gameplay to make it worth my while; picking this game up at a reduced price is quite frankly a steal. Expand
  35. Aug 19, 2012
    Had i written this review based on the first 10hrs of playing, i would have likely given it a 9 going on ten. The trouble is, the further into the game i get, the less enchanted it becomes. This is Because of one very important issue... The gameplay is far, far too easy! The quests consist of follow the BIG yellow circle on the map, fight, collect or steal whatever you have been sent toHad i written this review based on the first 10hrs of playing, i would have likely given it a 9 going on ten. The trouble is, the further into the game i get, the less enchanted it becomes. This is Because of one very important issue... The gameplay is far, far too easy! The quests consist of follow the BIG yellow circle on the map, fight, collect or steal whatever you have been sent to do and then follow the yellow circle again, normally back to where you started, to get your reward... When I started out, there were occasions when I found myself challenged by some of the fights, on some occasions... my character even died!! Not anymore!! My character is so overpowered now, It is almost impossible for me to die! My red energy bar barely depletes and ifit does, it regenerates before I even notice it had gone down. There are some nice features to the game. Weapon crafting and sagecrafting is nice, but this feature makes buying stuff pretty much redundant. The landscape is purty and the monsters are nicely drawn. Its just a pity they are stupid due to their dumb AI The battles follow the same pattern, mash square, occasionally use circle to dodge or if you want a bit of variety, hold triangle to fire off some arrows. There are no tactics as such or strategy when fighting different monsters.
    It is sad how far from my favour this game has fallen because, to begin with, i loved it to bits! Now i am not even sure I can be bothered completing it as it is just a huge, HUGE game of the same easy fights over and over and over and the same easy quests over and over again.
    Do yourself favour and wait for Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition this September

1. Mar 8, 2012
    Needless to say, Reckoning is a repetitive experience. If you've played the first five hours, you've seen everything the game has to offer except a few bosses and superficially different environments.
  2. Mar 5, 2012
    When you set aside the forgettable characters and boring dialog you find a game that is so well polished in many of its other aspects. The title boasts one of the best combat systems ever in an action-RPG and a highly flexible class system that allows the player to choose to be whatever they want to.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 4, 2012
    Reckoning is not about narrative. In this respect, it's a defiantly linear experience. What it is about is gameplay choice within the oft-rigid of an RPG. The way it accomplishes this is particularly fresh, and maybe even suggests a new precedent in the evolution of the genre. It's about time, right? Big Huge Games has clearly been paying a lot of attention to what's going on, and the result is that Reckoning is a patchwork of everything great that's been done to forward modern RPGs in recent times. [March 2012, p70]