7.6

1. Feb 10, 2012
    The dev team for Amalur get a decent amount of kudos from me for this title. There is a lot of work put into this game and most of it really does come off quite well. It's not god's gift to RPG's, so I do think anyone giving this game a 10 is a bit crazy (or maybe this is their first game played in their life). No, it's not a life changing experience (at least when you play it while notThe dev team for Amalur get a decent amount of kudos from me for this title. There is a lot of work put into this game and most of it really does come off quite well. It's not god's gift to RPG's, so I do think anyone giving this game a 10 is a bit crazy (or maybe this is their first game played in their life). No, it's not a life changing experience (at least when you play it while not tripping on mushrooms). But it is definitely worthy of a buy if you like games like God of War and Fable or action-RPG's in general. Trust me the game has some meat to it, though to be honest it's probably NOT worth $60 whopping USD they are charging for the PC version. I don't understand why it's $15 more on the PC when as far as I can tell there is nothing specific to the PC version that would warrant it. I will do this review in a different way than most and list pros and cons an final thoughts

PROS:

-Nice art direction care of artist Todd McFarlane
    -Large game world
    -Huge amounts of lore. The game was written to some extent by world renowned fantasy author R.A Salvatore, and the lore comes from his novels as far as I know. Every PC you can talk to has a few dialog options to speak about to fill you in a bit deeper on the lore if you care about it.
    -Fun "God ofWar" like combat
    -Bajillion sidequests -Fully voiced NPC's
    -Armor/weaponcrafting, alchemy, gemcrafting
    -Just a good solid RPG. CONS:

-Your character has no voice - Some people don't mind this, but I prefer my protagonist to have a voice of his own. It is just one more thing that adds character and charm. -NPC's are too stiff during dialog- In games like Mass Effect 2, the characters really feel like they are "there". Here, everything is very wooden, and I'd like to see the next game in the series do more with the "acting". -Graphical texture pop in is very annoying and no way to fix it on the PC since it is hard coded into he game cross platform. This was done to make developing for the PS3 easier and so they could launch all platforms at the same time. To me it's very annoying and my eyes are constantly being drawn to these graphical anomalies because they just pop in so close to the character and they are therefore distracting to my game experience. -No worthwhile camera control - The camera is in my and many other players' opinions way to close to the character and there is no way to move it back. They give you an over the shoulder option (think Dead Space) but it's pointless and I don't know why anyone would use it to be honest. In a game like this you need to be able to see all sides of you. -Some claim the game is "too easy" even on Hard mode. -Some of the skills in the skill-trees can be rather "meh", but to get the highest tier abilities, you are forced to take them making some levels seem like a waste.
    -No autorun key (Trust me you will wish for one, though on the official forums someone linked a tool that you can run while playing the game where you can set an autorun key)
    -No real easy way to scroll through abilities making it hard to use them in the heat of battle (PC version, I don't know how it is on the consoles) though the program mentioned above allows you to also scroll through them with the mousewheel if you choose. -No real use for gold. I have currently $500,000 and I barely buy anything. There's definitely items that I could buy that will be an upgrade to my equipment, but since I maxed out smithing, I keep waiting to find the "Master" parts to craft top grade items. So in essence I'm running through the game with a slight handicap, but I've invested in alchemy so I pop potions galore to keep me alive. I would like to feel like i NEED to buy these items and do something with this gold though. THOUGHTS:

I don't understand how some people are hating on this game. In my opinion these people are very jaded gamers that have seen it all by now and expect games being released now to change their life or something. None of the cons written above even when all combined are enough to stop me from playing and enjoying this game. I like the combat, I want to see what is next in the story, I like the loot hunting, the world looks nice, the story is very competent, and I really don't know what else in this era of gaming an RPG can offer besides that sort of gameplay. I highly suggest you purchase it at some point and show EA that giving a new game franchise a shot is a lucrative investment, or else all we may see is the same old same old. I really want to see what these guys do in a second installment because I think it will be what the Witcher 2 was to its predecessor.
  2. Feb 10, 2012
    @Doublecross
    If I were you I would never use your computer again. All though your screen name is perfect! You are ruining an exceptional games metacritic rating because you didn't like a DEMO!!! That demo was 4-5 months old! Do everyone a favor and double slam your computer on the ground thus eliminating your stupidity from the internet.
    I am 13 hours in and I just adore this game.
    @Doublecross

I am 13 hours in and I just adore this game. It's just FUN! I am going through KoAR on hard and it's challenging. So far I haven't experienced a hiccup of any kind, it's been technically perfect. Well, I fixed my camera woes by lowering the sensitivity so that doesn't really count as a technical problem since it is now fixed for me. It is truly the jack of all trades for RPGs. They really have created something special. Does it have problems yes, no doubt, but so does Skyrim. Skyrim is a great game. KoAR is a great. They cannot really be compared. They both stand on their own 2 feet.

I love the combat, oh the combat is exceptional! The sound, graphics, control, story/lore are wonderful. The graphics are gorgeous to my eyes. You have beautiful colors and dark dungeons. The world map looks huge! I am reading more books and scraps than I usually do in an RPG. I am very interested in the history of Amalur. Salvatore has done a wonderful job. There is always something new going on. There are a ton of quests. The leveling system is great. I am really enjoying the Alchemy, Blacksmithing and world itself. The Fateweaver is a great idea for tying massive character fate alterations into the story. The loot is huge and prevalent. I have found many items that upgraded above what I was currently using. The enemy design is second to none. You can see Todd McFarlane's genius here.

There are problems and they are in the design. I didn't like how the hero didn't speak. Reminds me of Half-Life yet I didn't mind that Gordon didn't talk. But seeing my character stand there with no real emotion reminds me of someone who isn't quite right or has some sort of deficiency. The NPC lip syncing could use some work as well. The magic shield appearing out of no where bothers me too. I also don't like how my warrior sheaths his weapon so fast after killing an enemy even though other enemies are around. Also, the camera needs to be adjustable so you can make it farther away from your character. I believe that these design decisions can be fixed in a patch if the Reckoning forums are any indication of how much it bothers players.

I cannot wait to pour more time into this special game. I can only hope it sells well so that they can come out with a sequel. I won't be interested in the MMO offering. However I am so very impressed that this their first game! Unreal, that they could hit a grand slam like this with their first offering.

If you are on the fence get off and give this a try. Right now this is my 2012 GOTY! I am not sure if it will hold up with Mass Effect 3 less than a month away.
  3. Feb 8, 2012
    What an awesome game! I love Skyrim and that doesn't stop me from enjoying it! It is not an open world like Skyrim but it's certainly not a linear world like Dragon Age 2. Combat is fantastic and the freedom of character design is great.
  4. Mar 8, 2013
    I think this game is amazing. The interesting story and innovative combat will overpower the few bugs you naturally run into. Try this game and, if you give it a chance, you'll enjoy it.
  5. Feb 5, 2013
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning has many treasures and riches in its RPG ensemble. A brilliant sense of weight defines every bludgeon from an axe and every swing of the greatsword. The colour and the melodic tones that shimmer in the background as you play, define the elegance of Amalur's creation. The big drawback though is that it feels comparatively small when the likes of Skyrim areKingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning has many treasures and riches in its RPG ensemble. A brilliant sense of weight defines every bludgeon from an axe and every swing of the greatsword. The colour and the melodic tones that shimmer in the background as you play, define the elegance of Amalur's creation. The big drawback though is that it feels comparatively small when the likes of Skyrim are giving you some awe inspiring landscapes. You tend to trundle the forests on your merry way, then you stumble across narrow paths densely populated either side by cliff faces. There isn't a grand sense of scale and awe. Furthermore it feels like you've been there and pillaged that when you are out and about completing fetch X amount of these items or kill Y amount of this. KOA therefore feels forged by the conventional trappings of a massively populated genre. With that said, it's still an impressive, elegant, rich and satisfying RPG that has some gusto to deliver your post Skyrim needs. Expand
  6. Oct 29, 2012
    KOAR is a an almost flawless game. No, seriously, it's almost perfect [in my honest opinion, of course]. It's main issue is that it was released under Skyrim's shadow, so it didn't raise much awareness about it. People just didn't give it a chance [me included]. Once I gave up on Skyrim [PS3 version, for reasons I don't need to explain, we all know about them], I decided to give KOAR aKOAR is a an almost flawless game. No, seriously, it's almost perfect [in my honest opinion, of course]. It's main issue is that it was released under Skyrim's shadow, so it didn't raise much awareness about it. People just didn't give it a chance [me included]. Once I gave up on Skyrim [PS3 version, for reasons I don't need to explain, we all know about them], I decided to give KOAR a try. And what a pleasant surprise. There's just so much content it's almost obscene. There's a lot of customization as well and many, many, many sidequests to complete (in a way that I don't even care about the main plot anymore). My only complaint, I'd say, is about the voice acting. It's a bit sub-par; and the cartonesque atmosphere might not please everyone. But, apart from that, this is an almost perfect western RPG. Should not be missed. Specially if you have time to dedicate to it. Expand
  7. Jun 20, 2013
    Amalur is a BIG, HUGE game for sure. But did they gave us a huge amount of content for us to explore and to find out. Yeah...? Amalur has a pretty interesting plot, but with few highlights. A colorful and beautiful world, but with a kinda awkward camera and the maps are always connect via the same pathway/tunnel. A fun combat system that reminds me of God of War. No buts on the combat. AAmalur is a BIG, HUGE game for sure. But did they gave us a huge amount of content for us to explore and to find out. Yeah...? Amalur has a pretty interesting plot, but with few highlights. A colorful and beautiful world, but with a kinda awkward camera and the maps are always connect via the same pathway/tunnel. A fun combat system that reminds me of God of War. No buts on the combat. A huge list of sidequests and they are fully voiced, but only a few of them got me really interested. Fun fate/class system, but a not so interesting character customization. Amalur does so many things right, but at the same time there are many small flaws that hold this game back from it's true potential.
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 7.5/10 A'IGHT!!!
    I do have to admit that it's always fun to just walk around enjoying the beautiful landscapes and environments of Amalur.
  8. Apr 6, 2012
    Based on 55hrs of game play. I was really excited about this game, and I probably would have rated it about 8.0 after 10 or so hours, but that number seemed to continue going down the longer I played. The main issue with the game is that I don't find it immersive, I want a sense of wonder from my games, and this game did not have that. I can't find any compelling reason to finish the game.Based on 55hrs of game play. I was really excited about this game, and I probably would have rated it about 8.0 after 10 or so hours, but that number seemed to continue going down the longer I played. The main issue with the game is that I don't find it immersive, I want a sense of wonder from my games, and this game did not have that. I can't find any compelling reason to finish the game. The game world feels plastic, the side quests feel like tacked on fetch quests, and I just don't care about the story. The game is very repetitive with quests and with combat. It felt very constraining to be able to unlock many different skills, yet only be able to use 4 at a time. At first, this destiny system seemed it would allow to create the kind of player that you want, but in reality it is much more constraining than many other RPGs. The ability to only use two weapons also seemed to put be constraints on play style. It was a very cumbersome process if you wanted to say use 1 magic weapon, one melee weapon, and a bow. Also, the most useful fighting method in the game is to merely spam the melee weapon button. Stealth is useless. The bow is also pretty pitiful, and many of the magic abilities you can't use much latter in the game because they have very long casting times, and because the enemies attack relentlessly it renders much of the magic useless. Therefore you just use melee, over and over and over. There are also camera angle issues. The game can be pretty, but mostly you just see the ground behind your character. I don't want to look at the ground the time when I could be looking at beautiful vistas.
    This game also does too much hand holding. You never have to search for a quest, you never stumble into a quest from a random dialog with an NPC. Amalur puts an exclamation point over the head of any NPC with a quest, so there is no point to explore and talk to anyone else. Also the dialog you need to choose is always the first option, and is highlighted. Dungeons are also too formulaic. They almost always have a circular shape so you can't get lost. Two days ago I had an epiphany when I realized that this game had become a chore to play. I was trying to finish it solely because I had spent money on pre-odering it. (oh, the pre-order bonuses were worthless. Do not PAY for them. You will have better equipment after about 8-10 hours.) I took the game and traded it in without finishing it...and I feel free. It's a game that I am happy to be rid of and sorry I wasted as much time as i did on it. Some of you may love this game..anyways this is my view.
  9. Mar 31, 2012
    This is not a great game, nor is it a bad game. High points: world size is large and backstory (concerning the fae and other races) is consistently woven into the main and side quests and is at least mildly interesting. The graphics are not immersive but are otherwise of good quality - the main play areas (maps) are diversely painted though the different geographies have no impact onThis is not a great game, nor is it a bad game. High points: world size is large and backstory (concerning the fae and other races) is consistently woven into the main and side quests and is at least mildly interesting. The graphics are not immersive but are otherwise of good quality - the main play areas (maps) are diversely painted though the different geographies have no impact on play (it all works the same whether your in forest, plains or desert.) The role-playing element is non-existent - your dialogue interaction with NPC's serve only to acquire/update quests and be spoon fed backstory. Opportunities to alter game course with persuasion or dialogue options appear limited. Low points: combat system is simplistic and the game presents few real challenges. I am at best an average quality gamer and on normal level the game presents no difficulty. I'm about 60-70% through the game (estimated on portion of world map revealed) and have not touched the options to reswizzle your character (throughout the game you can change from fighter to rogue to sorceror focused character.) Why not? The game has given me no reason to. I knew that was an option so I started with what I assumed was the simplest model - put on some armor, grab a sword and start hacking. And to this point (my character level is somewhere in the 20's) I've had no reason to change. Further, the game gives you access to various maneuvers as you level but I can hardly tell you what they are because I don't have to care. Mash the square, pepper in the occasional dodge (circle) and the monsters fall like rain. The monsters fall into one of about 4 types and are easily dispatched. Mini-bosses and tougher monsters are child's play with the fate shift ability (monsters are essentially paused and you get to hack the crap out them while they do little or nothing to you.) Again, I'm on normal level and leveled in the 20's and I can't remember the last time I died. Heck, I hardly need health potions and if you do, they're as abundant as grass. (And if your answer is: the game is harder as a rogue or sorcerer, in my mind that's still a "fail" - my career choice should not affect difficulty at least to this degree.) Aside: like every other frpg I've ever played the economic system is broken (and therefore it does not factor into my rating.) There are multiple crafting options - potions, weapons, gems (for socketing into items) but there seems little reason to do so other than for the satisfaction of having done it. I put some effort into sagecrafting and it does make items better but as soon as I did it, I found a better option on fallen enemies or in treasure chests. Perhaps a simpler description: I have 800,000gp and nothing to spend it on.
    Conclusion: on normal setting, my simplistic, brute force play style should produce the occasional death or drive me to consider other tactics. (Counter example: in Uncharted 2 and 3 on normal, I died frequently enough to be annoying - which tells you about my skill level.)
    With all this negative feedback, why do you keep playing? I'm stubborn, spent over $50 on the game and I'm something of a dinosaur - hack and slash appeals to me. But if you're reading these reviews and thinking this game has a cool combat system - umm, No.
  10. Feb 29, 2012
    First off, I was SUPER EXCITED for this game. All the interviews and pre-release footage made me hope for an RPG that was as good as Skyrim in story, atmosphere and open-world gameplay, yet with refined action combat so that the countless hours I was gonna spend playing would be fun and, most importantly, challenging. But this game turned out to be a letdown. I'm 50 hours in and haveFirst off, I was SUPER EXCITED for this game. All the interviews and pre-release footage made me hope for an RPG that was as good as Skyrim in story, atmosphere and open-world gameplay, yet with refined action combat so that the countless hours I was gonna spend playing would be fun and, most importantly, challenging. But this game turned out to be a letdown. I'm 50 hours in and have absolutely no desire to finish this game anymore. When I first started my new game I was incredibly motivated to keep playing, explore the world and do as much sidequests as possible. The combat is fast, fluid and really felt like, well, combat (as opposed to e.g. Skyrim). The skill system seemed fine and I very much enjoyed the first 15 hours of the game as rogue, hacking, slashing and backstabbing my enemies. I also appreciate that both rogue and warrior have access to magic. The abilities are fun and fit well into the playstyle of each class. The cartooney style of the world isn't exactly 'beautiful', but it worked for me, granted the size of the game I didn't care all that much about graphics. To this point I was happy I bought the game. As I continued playing though, I noticed how the game wasn't increasing in difficulty. Sure, I could still pull off sick combos to make the combat more fun, but it really would've been enough to just mash the square/triangle buttons the whole time. To spice things up a little I decided to reset my skills and tried out different classes. At this point, as I realised how easy COMPLETELY overhauling your character is, and how you wouldnt have to face any consequences, like being a really weak warrior when you were a mage before, I started to lose interest in my character. Usually you care about your character in an RPG and about the decisions you make, but in this game, where you have absolutely no disadvantages for doing whatever the hell you like, this is not the case. There is no reason for you to really commit to this game, and this is what really bugs me. We were promised a "hardcore open world RPG with fast action combat", but what we got is a mediocre button masher that has RPG elements like an open world, lots of quests and skill trees. These RPG elements however are so badly put together, that this can't be called a real RPG. Let's take a look at each aspect more closely:
    The world: It's big, more or less open, has capital cities and lots of dungeons. Exploring it might be fun at first, but as the world isn't fully open (like Skyrim) and you're unable to jump, you cant scale cool structures you might come across or get into really secret places, which ruins the overall experience. Other than loads of random loot, of which only about 5% are useful, there is no real reward in exploring. Even finding set pieces becomes annoying as they are very frequent and often pretty useless (also there are basically no item requirements, another reason why not to care about your character and equipment). The world quickly gets boring, as every big area is divided into 5 to 8 smaller areas which basically look all the same. There are forests, plains, a canyon/desert and the obligatory dark/evil final-boss-area.
    Quests: Meaningless. That's probably the most accurate word to describe it. I appreciate how every NPC got its own little backstory and the voice acting is mediocre to good (the facial animations were truly terrible though). But the quests they give are always, ALWAYS, "get that thing out of that dungeon", "kill these guys" or "talk to that guy". The quest rewards are usually the same garbage you find when exploring and collecting random loot, so no point in delving into the storylines and paying attention to what's actually happening. The skill system: At first glance it might appear deep. As you continue playing, however, you quickly realise there is no depth at all and you'll quickly have reached the final talent in your tree not even halfway through the game. Getting your ultimate would feel like a huge accomplishment in any other RPG, not so in KoA. It sure is fun to use those talents at first, and you're very powerful when doing so (too powerful even), but it's impossible to care even the slightest about them, as you can reset your skills as you please. What disappointed me most, is that there is an OUTRAGEOUS imbalance between each skill tree. While it was fun to play rogue, playing a mage is so absurdly easy, that it's almost insulting to call this a video game. Even on the highest difficulty there is no challenge whatsoever. If you're not completely dull, you won't die, and as mage you'll one-shot downright everything. When I play an RPG, I want challenge, depth and a character I care about. KoA has none of these. It looked very promising, as it was supposed to breathe new life into the genre with its refined combat, but this game is nothing but a HUGE disappointment. 4 points for the fun start and how the game runs almost without bugs/glitches whatsoever.
  11. Apr 2, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur is an extremely boring chore. Though not the worst rpg, it lacks the one thing that makes an awesome rpg, the immersion. The story elements and npcs are a letdown and there is nothing in this game that actually stands out. Nothing!! While ithe game offers a huge map, it is not entirely an open-world as the story paths are highly linear. Character customisation isKingdoms of Amalur is an extremely boring chore. Though not the worst rpg, it lacks the one thing that makes an awesome rpg, the immersion. The story elements and npcs are a letdown and there is nothing in this game that actually stands out. Nothing!! While ithe game offers a huge map, it is not entirely an open-world as the story paths are highly linear. Character customisation is limited, there isn't any memorable moments in quests and while npcs have lots to say, they are very generic and lack any form of personality.. There's not much decision making involved in the story and therefore you don't have to listen and understand all the long conversations. You will likely skip them too as they are so monotonous and dull. While some people think the gameplay makes up for these infuriating flaws, in actual fact, the gameplay is like God of War, meaning repetitive hack-and-slash as you fight swarms of enemies in your path. Good if you're into that kind of stuff, otherwise this will be a chore for you. KoAR holds so much potential but instead chooses to be mediocre in a wide range of area withought being good in any of them. NO THANK YOU!! I've fallen for their marketing ploy and am here to tell you, turn back now!! Expand
  12. Feb 10, 2012
    Buy this game. I'm about 7 hours in and I'm having a true blast. From the opening menu, the game heavily reminds me of playing World of Warcraft II on my PlayStation 1. From the wonderful music (which is like a Danny Elfman score, a good thing!) the font they use for all the menus, the dialogue and the overall look--it will keep you wrapped in it's world. I played the demo and thought itBuy this game. I'm about 7 hours in and I'm having a true blast. From the opening menu, the game heavily reminds me of playing World of Warcraft II on my PlayStation 1. From the wonderful music (which is like a Danny Elfman score, a good thing!) the font they use for all the menus, the dialogue and the overall look--it will keep you wrapped in it's world. I played the demo and thought it was "okay, not bad" but I had two friends tell me it's really fun and I should pick it up. Very happy I did! The only thing two things I think that can bring the game down is the lip syncing in dialogue scenes and the facial expression are a little average, not wonderful. Along with frame rate drops here and there but it doesn't distract from the game much at all. The voice acting is great, I've been roaming towns and what's great is I haven't heard a voice repeated yet. The greatest two pros are the combat system (amazing) and story. I really feel like the story is Lord of the Rings meets Spawn. You play a person brought back to life from the Well of Souls and no one knows how you are changing "fate" where everyone else's fate is predestined. I'm currently playing the game on hard, which I recommend if you want a fair challenge! I think the real magic of the game begins when you start seeing that doing a quest for someone actually gains you some nice items or a lot of gold, useful things unlike a lot of fetch questing in games where you get junk. Also, the story is strong enough that I can't see you just side questing for too long between story missions. If you're looking for a game with a lot of character building, an awesome Gauntlet style combat system and a solid story--pick up, "Reckoning!" Expand
  13. Feb 10, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning provides the most fun I've had in a fantasy RPG since the 16-bit era. It has already been compared to The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Fable, and even Dark Souls, but frankly, I think it feels more like an evolution of hack-n-slash action RPGs like Diablo or Champions of Norrath, albeit with much deeper role-playing mechanics than you normally get from thoseKingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning provides the most fun I've had in a fantasy RPG since the 16-bit era. It has already been compared to The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Fable, and even Dark Souls, but frankly, I think it feels more like an evolution of hack-n-slash action RPGs like Diablo or Champions of Norrath, albeit with much deeper role-playing mechanics than you normally get from those games. The focus is obviously on combat, which borrows heavily from the Devil May Cry lineage (God of War, Bayonetta, etc.). With loot waiting to be snagged around every corner and after every battle, you can quickly build a character in any direction, and weapon-armor loadouts make an enormous difference in how that character handles. You also don't need to worry about experimenting with a set of skills, since you always have the option of wiping the slate clean or simply shifting your focus to a different set of abilities. Destiny cards then allow you to buff your character out with stat enhancements that match your desired focus, kind of like a flexible class system. You can easily create a magic-using rogue or a wizard with a longsword on standby, pretty much any combination you can dream up. There's no shortage of content, either, since the game's story quests and optional missions easily add up to 200+ hours. You can buy houses to store your junk, restore your health, and allow makeover options, and these residences can be upgraded in a variety of ways. There's also a day-night cycle that impacts NPC/enemy activity as well as adding some pretty environmental effects to the lush environments, though no dynamic weather is present like it is in Skyrim. On that subject, many players have criticised Amalur's level design for being more restrictive than Skyrim's, but in my opinion, the inability to cross mountains or go whereever you please adds to the brilliance of the map layout. Every area is designed in a memorable way, and getting from one place to the other can be a sort of environmental puzzle, more like classic 16-bit RPGs than the recent open-world trend. I see that as a positive, since it not only illustrates greater focus on design but also makes it a challenge to get from one side of the map to the other. You'll need to meet quest requirements, defeat bosses, and gain key items to access some of the coolest locales, and considering the intelligence of some enemy mobs, that provides a real sense of accomplishment. It's not Dark Souls, by any stretch, but if you fancy yourself a strong gamer, I would highly encourage playing on Hard, as Normal mode can seem too easy for veterans of the genre. Like Dark Souls, though, battles require a bit of strategy and precise strikes, but all of it is much faster and more forgiving than Souls. This game really is meant for fans of loot, combat, and exploration, and it does all of these elements very well. The only shortcomings are its minor technical flaws (mostly in glitchy audio) and its fairly standard fantasy lore/plot. The scripting and scenario writing isn't bad within those confines, though, since R.A. Salvatore provided most of the storytelling. Also, Todd McFarlane's artistic direction is cool, but it's much lighter-hearted than some of his comic book and action figure designs, resembling a more detailed World of Warcraft or Fable-esque aesthetic. Even the game's controls are a little like Fable, but again, Reckoning is clearly the more advanced evolution between the two. All in all, I would actually call Reckoning my favorite fantasy RPG of this generation, above Skyrim or Dragon Age: Origins, but considering it satisfies a different set of criteria than either of those games, it can co-exist with your other favorites just fine. Buy it for its fun factor. Buy it for its unique mixture of elements from other RPG heavyweights. Buy it because it's the first time we've seen God of War combat in an action RPG, and frankly, I want more! Expand
  14. Mar 5, 2012
    I had played The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and now I'm playing Kingdom of Amalur and you know something ?
    I'm enjoing play more Kingdom than Skyrim, I wonâ
  15. Feb 28, 2012
    LOL! @ Skyrim fanboys giving this game low scores, This game is BETTER than Skyrim, i dont care if skyrim looks more "realistic" KOA:Reckoning is millions times better and more fun than that buggy game called skyrim! I recommend this game to EVERYONE
  16. Feb 27, 2012
    There are two main reason I was disappointed with this game. First it is certainly not an open world game (which it was advertised as) and it is structured weirdly, it has large open regions that you progress through but the world as a whole is not open at all. The second is that the story and presentation of the game did not draw me in and make me care in the slightest about my characterThere are two main reason I was disappointed with this game. First it is certainly not an open world game (which it was advertised as) and it is structured weirdly, it has large open regions that you progress through but the world as a whole is not open at all. The second is that the story and presentation of the game did not draw me in and make me care in the slightest about my character or the world, it failed to show any original material to make me think this game was worth playing. Also the combat started out fun but rapidly got old. Played for about 15 hours, had a relatively good time but I got bored of it. Overall I am disappointed with this game but it doesn't deserve too bad a review score as it was fun at times. Expand
  17. Feb 10, 2012
    Most will dismiss this game thinking they know better in the first few hours. I almost did. However, this game continued to get better and exceed my expectations. It's not going to come off as a fantasy simulation but rather a fun game. I would look to the critic reviews and like always ignore user reviews.
    For those out there that were so excited for the first Fable and ended totally
    For those out there that were so excited for the first Fable and ended totally disapointed and annoyed this is the game you were hoping for. I would so love to turn my toon into a fat tub of guts but with only that lacking this is a truly fun game.
  18. Feb 16, 2012
    When this game was about to release i was really excited for it , i mean just take into account the pedigree of talent behind the development team alone plus all the previews and pre-launch talk, mostly on G4 made me want to play KoA . That was then, now it's a completely different story. can only be chalked up to a MASSIVE disappointment. i really wish now i had waited for the reviews,When this game was about to release i was really excited for it , i mean just take into account the pedigree of talent behind the development team alone plus all the previews and pre-launch talk, mostly on G4 made me want to play KoA . That was then, now it's a completely different story. can only be chalked up to a MASSIVE disappointment. i really wish now i had waited for the reviews, the one by G4 in particular instead of getting caught up in the hype and pre-ordering KoA. Granted the combat is engaging and better than just about every rpg on the market but that is all this game has going for it. The graphics are OK, the camera is sub-par , the voice acting and dialogue are dull and boring.
    my biggest fault with Amalur is that, with any good rpg, you have an emotional investment in your character as they are an extension of ourselves , and in this respect KoA fails miserably. i tried (45 hours into it) till i just couldn't feign enthusiasm anymore. at no point did the game give me a reason to care about my character or the multitudes of fetch -quests that i was being sent on. all you FANBOYS out there that are waving your pitch forks around need to realize that this game did fail on delivering what it set out to. thank you to the brave few who came out with an honest review of this game while the rest of the reviews pretty much rehashed EA talking points .
  19. Feb 7, 2012
    Sweet combat system, stunning graphics, fantastic gamer support and feedback from devs online, better storyline than Dark Soul's and Skyrim both. I have no idea what people like Adam Sessler are smoking but they obviously have double standards. Since reviewers like him seem to only be able to compare games like this to Skyrim... Kingdoms of Amalur IMO has better combat, storyline, andSweet combat system, stunning graphics, fantastic gamer support and feedback from devs online, better storyline than Dark Soul's and Skyrim both. I have no idea what people like Adam Sessler are smoking but they obviously have double standards. Since reviewers like him seem to only be able to compare games like this to Skyrim... Kingdoms of Amalur IMO has better combat, storyline, and graphics versus Skrim not to mention FAR less bugs and MUCH better support from devs. Expand
  20. Feb 7, 2012
    I play RPGs for one reason: immersion. For me, immersion requires seamless and fun user-interface, a compelling plot, consistent suspension of disbelief, and characters you care about. More importantly, at its best, complete immersion is not a concatenation of these requisites but rather a coalescence. It is this rubric that informs my review of KOA:R. UI: the interface ranges from good toI play RPGs for one reason: immersion. For me, immersion requires seamless and fun user-interface, a compelling plot, consistent suspension of disbelief, and characters you care about. More importantly, at its best, complete immersion is not a concatenation of these requisites but rather a coalescence. It is this rubric that informs my review of KOA:R. UI: the interface ranges from good to great. Combat manages to accomplish that all too difficult feat of being easy to engage yet rewardingly difficult to master (while not analogous in execution, it is analogous in quality to Arkham City). Bravo Big Huge Games! Menus are intuitively laid out yet complex. Game designers who worry that the complexity associated with RPGs (stats, loot, skills, crafting) is inherently anathema to intuitive menu design can learn a lot from KOA:R. Again, well-done BHG! Plot: fantasy stories are probably the most difficult to tell. They have to be foreign yet familiar enough not to alienate...and not so familiar that originality is lost. KOA:R is original, but its novelty does not rest on a unique plot but on a unique setting--unfortunately, it is unique in the wrong way. KOA:R setting is vast and complete with Tolkien-esque attention to detail and equally Tolkien-esque jargon. I am sure RA Salvator 's universe could rival Tolkien 's in size, scope, and minutiae. But I am equally sure that I do not want to take the time to learn about it. To be clearer, I'll compare it to Dragon Age: Origins whose setting, while not as complex, is fairly deep and detailed. But its profundity is teased out in a natural way so that the complexity never seems complex. You know as much as you need to but just a tiny bit shy of what you want to so that you keep going. Paradoxically, you are both satiated yet starving for more. Moreover, you always feel purposeful. In every quest you are dispatched, taking one huge step to your goal (even when you are, unbeknownst to you at the time, so far away from the end-game). This allows you to take in every detail and appreciate the intricacies of the universe as they unfold invitingly. KOA:R, on the hand, does not seductively weave your story amidst an elaborate tapestry of Amalur 's rich history so much as it vomits its details and sequesters its mystery. Consistent suspension of disbelief: KOA:R has rich animations both in dialogue and combat that serve well to foster immersion. Its effectiveness, unfortunately, makes glaring those instances when you are reminded that you are playing a game. For instance, you will be engaged in satisfying combat, overcoming overwhelming odds with brilliant strategy, watching your lithesome strikes, felicitous parries, and...uh...suddenly appearing/disappearing shield. Oh yeah...I am playing a game. Immersion ruined. The bad camera angles also take away from immersion. It's a bit too claustrophobic for my tastes. Characters you care about: While not impossible, it is rare for a game driven by a user-created-from-scratch-character to enthrall me. Usually, immersion for me requires a somewhat defined character (Mass Effect, Witcher). Again, to illustrate, DA:O made a nice compromise by giving me various origins from which to choose but each had his/her own touchstone to the world. I need this touchstone to be immersed. Especially if my character is voiceless. I felt isolated from the world in KOA:R. I felt like I was playing in someone else 's world, a world to which I didn 't truly belong. I never really cared for my character because of this: the more I cared about the world, the more glaring my alienation felt; the more I cared about my character, the more truncated the world felt. In other words, I was not immersed. Parting Thoughts: My expectations (which were high) have definitely shaped my criticisms--hence the negative slant of my review. But make no mistake: I am VERY impressed by BHG 's creation. This is their first game. FIRST! Think of Naughty Dog 's first game. Or how about Bethesda 's? Rockstar 's? Yeah, I know, right?! BHG undertook probably the most difficult kind of game to create and this is their first effort? WOW! I cannot wait for their second game. As an economist, I rate games by the price I should (in hindsight) be willing to pay for it. If you want to support this developer (and you should!) buy this game new. But buy it once it drops to $40-45 Expand
  21. Feb 7, 2012
    Pretty fun game.. Story lacks any kind of focus and the lack of your character speaking or the npc's around having facial expressions you never really get attached to the story. Combat is a big improvement in the genre although judge up against counterparts of actions titles such as DMC or GoW the controls are "far" from tight and responsive and nowhere near as fluent. After 10Pretty fun game.. Story lacks any kind of focus and the lack of your character speaking or the npc's around having facial expressions you never really get attached to the story. Combat is a big improvement in the genre although judge up against counterparts of actions titles such as DMC or GoW the controls are "far" from tight and responsive and nowhere near as fluent. After 10 hours of play I can definitely recommend due to it's just plain fun factor and at the end of the day who really cares about the comparisons if a game is fun it's fun and this game is DEFINITELY fun! Expand
  22. Feb 7, 2012
    Fantastic gameplay and I love the questing and leveling. 200 hours here I come. Glad I got the collectors edition as well. Mcfarlane and team did a great job for my cravings.
  23. Feb 8, 2012
    Fantastic game. It combines elements of crazy action games, with deep RPG elements. The world is rich and pretty, the characters are interesting, and the combat is incredibly satisfying. It's a very easy game, so pump up the difficulty. I'd be ballsy enough to compare it to Skyrim.
  24. Feb 12, 2012
    Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning is to modern RPG what an action movie is to Cinema. Sure, a game like Skyrim is going to get better reviews from the critics. But let's be honest, you got bored half way through Skyrim and never touched it again. KoAR may not have a deep story, you will never find yourself emotionally invested in the characters, but you will have fun, lots of fun. And inKingdom of Amalur: Reckoning is to modern RPG what an action movie is to Cinema. Sure, a game like Skyrim is going to get better reviews from the critics. But let's be honest, you got bored half way through Skyrim and never touched it again. KoAR may not have a deep story, you will never find yourself emotionally invested in the characters, but you will have fun, lots of fun. And in the end, isn't that the point of a video game?

The game doesn't really add anything original to the genre, it feels more like a conglamoration of existing titles. The artwork is fantastic. It's a bit cartoony, but the world is vibrant and aesthetically pleasing in a way that's reminiscant of blizzard. The action is fantastic for an RPG.

Think of a summer blockbuster action movie. Sure, it ain't going to win an Oscar, but you'll have a lot of fun.
  25. Feb 11, 2012
    Amazing quest structure and lore. Engaging and addictive combat. The world is beautifully designed. Controller integration is flawless and helps the game feel fast paced. I'm about 50 hours in right now and absolutely loving the game. Some of the skills are unbalanced and need tweaking, but this is a phenomenal first effort from 38 Studios/Big Huge Games in the Amalur world.
  26. Caz
    Feb 11, 2012
    KOAR is one of those hidden gems. Overall, it's an amazing game, well delivered and well written with respectable replay value. As you would expect from a modern RPG, the world's population evolves as you progress through the storyline. The combat is engaging, though a little too easy for veteran gamers. The crafting, however, is where the game is lacking.

The RPG side of things is

The RPG side of things is well done. The VA is superb except in a few rare circumstances. Some NPCs are belligerent and rude as you walk up to them and then treat you like a long-time friend during some of the dialogue options. Even with that inconsistency, however, the VA is delivered beautifully. The Fae are a foreign society and, as such, can be difficult to really empathize with. It must be stated, though, that is a redeeming quality and not a negative mark against the game's lore. Some of the concepts and ideals are not conveyed well enough to make them clear, however. House of Ballads is a great example of this. While talking about this particular timeline with a friend, he pointed out several things that weren't made clear until he explained them. Perhaps that's intentional to allow players a more personal interpretation of the faction. Regardless, it was delivered well and I genuinely felt a like and dislike of each supporting character I was interacting with.

It's debatable whether combat or story is the main focus of the game as both are so expertly done. Dodging, attacking, mixing attacks and countering based on various actions all make for a robust combat system. It needs to be said, however, that as of launch, the combat is far too easy for veteran gamers. You can use the same basic attacks to win most any fight. The beauty of the combat system is that you don't have to and, in a small way, are encouraged not to. The more flashy (varied) your combo, the more Fate you are rewarded with, thus allowing you to use Reckoning more often. Reckoning is, simply put, a way to earn bonus experience on kills.

And now we get to the reason I can't give KOAR a 10. The crafting. It's horrible. Everything about it feels as though it was a last minute thought and rushed to get it in. Salvaging is inconsistent, often netting you the lowest possible materials while leaving you in want of much better that are often easily purchased off a vendor anyway. Another downside to Salvaging is that you can fall back on the save/load trick that many gamers have used for years. It almost equates to cheating (save, salvage, load if didn't the material you wanted. rinse and repeat until you do). Actually making an item is simple enough, though. Sagecraft is lackluster at best. It's basically making gems, but there's little use for most of them. Alchemy suffers from that even more so. You rarely need potions for any circumstance and even when you do, you can easily have more than enough just from what you can find on vendors.

One last thing that prevents me from giving KOAR a 10 is lockpicking and dispelling. Lockpicking is insultingly easy. Ironically, I lose more picks on Easy locks than I do on Hard simply because I'm not paying attention. Dispelling is an interesting attempt to add a variation of the lockpicking system, but it's cumbersome and can often leave you afflicted with a curses that are oddly varied in their power. Some will make you more susceptible to fire, ice or lighting (-25% resist) while some will decrease your skills by several points (-3 to all skills). Having a -3 to all skills can greatly hinder your character in some events while a decrease in resistance is barely noticeable to the point it's trivial.

Overall, it's a top notch game and should see no problem in gaining a strong fan base.
  27. Feb 7, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur can only be described in one way and that is.....AWSOME!!!
    Kingdoms of Amalur can only be described in one way and that is.....AWSOME!!!
    When I played the demo I didn't think much since it was very buggy and unpolished at the time,but I decided to get this game anyway's and see the finished product and I'm Happy I did so.koa is worth a look since it doesn't have game breaking bug's like Skyrim which I haven't played since 11/13/11 thanks to Bethesda not being good enough on their promise of patch 1.4 being released on time *go Figure*KOA is a must own for any rpg fan.now there are some technical problems here but none are game breaking so far and I'm enjoying KOA alot.this game get's a good ole 9 out of 10 from me.
  28. Feb 8, 2012
    Have been gaming 30 years in some fashion or another and a gotta tell you this game as far as rpg's go is a breath of fresh air and exactly what the industry needed.All the other big name rpg publishers will have to change up their games to have this kind of fun gameplay,most rpg's feel like a chore to play but this one is incredible...way to go 38 and bhg good job..:)
  29. Feb 14, 2012
    Let me first say that "RPG" style games aren't really my style of game. But this game is different than most games that I would consider to be standard style RPG's. This has a more action oriented battle system (Think "God of War" combat style) combined with insane upgrade paths and leveling tree's that keep you wanting more everytime you're done playing. Honestly if I play a nonLet me first say that "RPG" style games aren't really my style of game. But this game is different than most games that I would consider to be standard style RPG's. This has a more action oriented battle system (Think "God of War" combat style) combined with insane upgrade paths and leveling tree's that keep you wanting more everytime you're done playing. Honestly if I play a non mulitplayer game for more than 5 hours it's a miracle, I'm 8+ hours into this game and it has my thought proccess consumed and I'm itching to play some more and I havent's even scratched teh surface of the first world/region/area. My only concern at this point is I'm starting to see a pattern of enemies, e.g. there always seems to be either 3 or 4 enemies to fight at a time and I've leveled up to the point where I can pretty much mow through them easily. But in fairness, it's too early to tell or make a judgement on whether or not this will be a problem. For the record, I have died about 10 times (learning the ropes) already. All in all, it's a fun game and I'm happy that I took a chance on it because like I said, RPG's aren't my thing. This however is a great game. Expand
  30. Feb 11, 2012
    I started out by giving this game an 8, but how ignorant I was until I started playing it more, I am amazed by the hour, it is the most fantastic and addictive game ever, it's unbelievable how much this game has to offer, if you enjoy games like Fable or Darksiders, or any action adventure or RPG this game will blow your mind. it is an absolute classic! a rare Gem. Worth every penny andI started out by giving this game an 8, but how ignorant I was until I started playing it more, I am amazed by the hour, it is the most fantastic and addictive game ever, it's unbelievable how much this game has to offer, if you enjoy games like Fable or Darksiders, or any action adventure or RPG this game will blow your mind. it is an absolute classic! a rare Gem. Worth every penny and then some. 9.5/10 Expand
  31. Apr 6, 2012

1. Mar 8, 2012
    Needless to say, Reckoning is a repetitive experience. If you've played the first five hours, you've seen everything the game has to offer except a few bosses and superficially different environments.
  2. Mar 5, 2012
    When you set aside the forgettable characters and boring dialog you find a game that is so well polished in many of its other aspects. The title boasts one of the best combat systems ever in an action-RPG and a highly flexible class system that allows the player to choose to be whatever they want to.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 4, 2012
    Reckoning is not about narrative. In this respect, it's a defiantly linear experience. What it is about is gameplay choice within the oft-rigid of an RPG. The way it accomplishes this is particularly fresh, and maybe even suggests a new precedent in the evolution of the genre. It's about time, right? Big Huge Games has clearly been paying a lot of attention to what's going on, and the result is that Reckoning is a patchwork of everything great that's been done to forward modern RPGs in recent times. [March 2012, p70]