• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 7, 2010
3.6

1. Nov 1, 2010
    I couldn't get passed the tutorial it was so tedious and frustrating to control. Well, I can give it one thing, it had semi-decent graphics... And that's being generous.
  2. Sep 20, 2010
    This is a good game. I can control the character easy. The environment is nice. Path is long enough. This game show the power of PlayStation Move. I like this game.
  3. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is very much underrated, sometimes crazy + fun works, as you can tell it doesn't show here, if your not having fun with this game then i suggest you should walk out the door.
  4. Aug 17, 2013
    This game has a worse rep than it deserves. There is nothing inherently wrong in creating a game over a simple premise, as long as it's fun and the game knows its place. Unfortunately, KFR suffers from a "corporate mandate" problem, it has been mandated to be many things it could not be. But all is not lost, lets see.

You probably know the premise (calling it a story would be generous)
    you're a hapless detective (or his assistant) escaping from the mafia by riding chairs and one inappropriate objects downhill on busy streets. Its that kind of offbeat Japanese humour we don't get too often. There's a element of watching the characters suffer, which is reinforced by a close up of their faces so you don't miss their pain expressions as they ragdoll after a crash. That should make up for a short whacky fun romp, but then the corporate mandate rears its ugly head.

First there's the controls. This game was mandated to be a PS Move game. You'd think that by now developers would know that replacing button presses with controller waggle a good game does not make, and you'd be wrong, for that's what Studio Japan did. Acceleration, braking, steering, jumping all is mapped to move gestures. There is nothing is this game that could not have controlled better with a regular dualshock 3. Having said that, the controls are not as broken as some have suggested. I never really had problems directing the action. It would have been better with a regular control, but its not a train wreck. I was able to complete all the levels without feeling that I was not in control.

Second, level design. The premise does not allow for much, but the game has been mandated to be a full-ish retail game. So in an attempt to give it longevity, the difficulty curve is skewed towards the hard side. This is a problem other Move games such as The Shoot share. With such a simple premise, the difficulty spikes come up as cheap shots.

As far as graphics go, its adequate, nothing to write home about. The graphics do have a charming "old Sega arcade" feel to them that I find endearing. The only problem is with character design, specifically Karin. the female protagonist. The first time you see her, you will probably notice her weird proportions, her hips seems too wide for her frame. Once the game starts, it becomes obvious why, she'll be waggling her behind at you the whole way through. I guess its supposed to be comedic but it's actually embarrasing enough to propel the game into the "games I would not want my mum/wife catch me playing" category.

Bottom line, a game stretched and priced beyond its merits, but not a total loss. The control is less than ideal but functional. It does deliver on its simple promise of whacky fun, just stick with the male character. These days, now that it can be had for$10 or less it becomes a much more palatable proposition.

1. Dec 22, 2010
    Once the novelty of the game concept has worn off, which doesn't take long, the frustration caused by the controls really kicks in.
  2. Dec 20, 2010
    All the interaction it requires could be better executed, with equal intuition and far greater reliability, on a joypad with an analogue stick. [Nov 2010, p.94]
  3. There's a difference between a game that is wacky and a game that is wack. Kung Fu Rider desperately tries to be the former but winds up being the latter. [November 2010 p67]