7.6

1. May 17, 2011
    A revolution in gaming. Feels like youre in a move the entire game. Instead of guns and bullets, you use wits and instinct. Amazing graphics and hollywood level voice acting. Well done Rockstar.
  2. May 17, 2011
    This game is truly amazing. Rockstar and Bondi have completely redefined storytelling in gaming with this masterpiece. True, you don't get to go around killing everyone at your leisure, but that's not what this game is all about. It's about being a detective. And boy, does it ever do it well.
  3. May 17, 2011
    This isn't a game where you go around killing people. You have to use your brain and be a detective. It's not perfect, but it's immersive and amazing.
  4. May 17, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a fantastic game. It's story, presentation and gameplay are all solid. The new motion scan tech is definitely the best part of the game. What it does is bring real life facial animation to L.A. Noire's character using 32 HD cameras. L.A. Noire also has the most meticulously recreated version of Los Angeles to ever appear in a video game.
  5. May 17, 2011
    I do not understand how some people gave this game a zero. I understand some people might not like it but a zero come on people that is ridiculous. This is a thinking game and a new era for gaming all the brain dead shooter type of players need to get a brain.
  6. May 17, 2011
    This game doesn't deserve 8 negative ratings. You don't have to shoot or beat the sh!t out of people for a game to be fun. If you don't wanna think in a game and are looking for a game that just brainlessly shoots other sh!ts to win, go play MW or something and stay away from this. Thank you. Shortly put, it's fun and innovative, and great graphic, great story, great voice acting. Replay value is slim to none, however, but you finish this game fully in around 20 hours. Expand
  7. May 17, 2011
    First off. If you are expecting GTA 5 than please spare yourself the pain and don't play it. So far I am 13 hours in and have only shot 36 people.This game is not about shooting up LA it is a game about intense investigation. This is my 2nd favorite game I have EVER played. I was honestly shocked when I saw the scores that this game got. It is the most immersive game I have ever played (except possibly bioshock). The new face technology is flat out amazing. You can really see every movement in the characters faces. If you are looking for a game that requires REAL thought, and doesn't require you to mindlessly kill people this is the only place to look. Amazing game through and through. Also I think the car physics are fine. Everyone needs to keep in mind that these are 1940's cars, not a lamborghini. Expand
  8. May 17, 2011
    This game oozes atmosphere. It throws in enough of the GTA engine to feel like your in control but still has enough point & click elements. It has more depth than GTA or RDR but isnt as blatant in regard to action or free roaming. The characters are believable and likeable ( unlike some earlier rockstar games) . The game is not restrictive in your progress. You can go steaming through a case pretty quick and finish it or be precise in every action you take. This in turn will lead you inevitably to a different conclusion. Each new mission however isn't always connection to your previous progress which can be vexing. Overall it's a fantastic achievment in video gaming. An interactive movie that genuinly keeps you involved and has you gripped from start to finish. It's not GTA or RDR and doesnt try to be. Superb. Expand
  9. May 17, 2011
    What a stunning achievement for gaming. When people tak about games as art this is the sort of thing they'll point to. Easily the most immersive experience I've had with a videogam. Bondi and Rockstar did a wonderful job at crafting the investigative elements into something addicting and surprisingly intelligent. And there's of course the revolutionary facial animation tech. The ability to capture an actor's true performance gives the game's story and characters an incredible amount of believability and emotional weight.

If you consider yourself at all a fan of the art of good storytelling then it'd be a complete disservice to not play this game.
  10. May 17, 2011
    This is a great game and a must buy for the thinker. This is a defining moment in the industry of gaming as this game has broadened the gaming horizon and has made gaming more appealing to all types of people.
  11. May 17, 2011
    L.A. Noire makes me feel spoiled. It wasn't until I started playing this game two days ago that I realized how accustomed we've all become to the stagnancy in games today. I can't remember the last time I played something this fresh. It's really reinvigorated my love for the art of video games. Every thing about L.A. Noire just oozes detail and as I get further into the game it's becoming more and more evident that really is the product of the utmost love and care from Rockstar and Team Bondi. And more than the presentation and polish, the actual mechanics are a total blast. Something about the investigation elements is so damn satisfying, partly because they're truly unlike anything I've done in games before. Gaming's vocabulary when it comes to activities for its audience for so long has been mostly "punch, hit, shoot, kill, blow up" etc. But now, thanks to L.A. Noire, we can expand that vocabulary a little bit. Intelligent and mature gamers the world over rejoice. Something special has arrived. Expand
  12. May 17, 2011
    This is the next level for video game graphics. Hopefully this style becomes the standard for future games. Fun, thought provoking, and entertaining. Everything a great game should be.
  13. May 17, 2011
    The most beautifully crafted game since Heavy Rain, an immediate Game of the Year contender and the most ambitious title Rockstar have ever produced. So far this year it is equal only to Portal 2 in terms of ground-breaking game mechanics and it's sheer brilliance.
  14. May 17, 2011
    This game is Great!!! This games has cars, races, guns, chases, but it is not only about this. It is about using your brain. If you like just shooting and crashing everything you see, this is not for you, here you need to think. Graphics is very good, facial animation is AMAZING!
  15. May 17, 2011
    This game is the best game made in a long time it is not like the same old shooters that drown the gaming industry with repetitiveness and and no uniqueness. This is a leap forward for man kind and a step backwards for brain dead individuals.
  16. May 17, 2011
    Starting from now, we have a new generation of cinematic & detective games. L.A. Noire is not a game for everyone, it's true. In some ways, this is a weird game for Rockstar & their fans, but it's a genuine masterpiece. Viva, Rockstar and Team Bondi, well done!
  17. May 17, 2011
    This game is suffering the "portal 2" effect, where morons are lying about the game and **** that it's a full game for full game price. Let's start off by saying that this game has one real flaw: The controls. It's easy to get over, however. Beyond that we have Hollywood level voice acting and script (quality Hollywood anyway), competent (but not stunning, save for the facial animations) graphics, an interesting story, and a satisfying interrogation system that relies on YOU the player. Expand
  18. May 25, 2011
    LA Noire, is set in a gloriously convincing depiction of Los Angeles in 1947. The controls are similar to GTA, the game style is very different to GTA. You are a LAPD detective, question suspects and witnesses, solving cases. You have to analyze facial responses and bodily twitches, just like in real life. Overall it is an outstanding game, very fun, well worth the money. Breathtaking camera work, well done rockstar and Team Bondi for producing an outstanding game. Very addictive Expand
  19. May 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before playing LA Noire I was unsure if Rockstar could live up to its previous titles such as Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4. However, I'm pleased to report that they have once again created a, very, very good game. Solving the crime cases in LA Noire is alot of fun and an engrossing experience. Finding the clues needed to solve the case felt challenging but it was never frustrating. Conducting interviews was very fun and there were obvious consequences for choosing the right and wrong dialogue options. In fact, I have never had so much talking to characters in a videogame. This is due to a mixture of Team Bondi's stellar new visual technology and very clever diolauge.

LA Noire has lots of side cases, and collectibles that help to flesh out an atmosphere allready made vivid by detailed buildings,and a wonderful music score.

LA Noire felt very reminiscent of classic film noir such as Chinatown and is all the better for it. I have thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it so far. I recommend LA Noire to everyone but Transformer fans.
  20. May 18, 2011
    Really a breath of fresh air. The shooting and driving is a lot like GTA 4 but the remaining gameplay is amazingly intricate. When I first saw this game I though it would be gimmicky but it turned out to be exactly what it promised and that is a legitimate detective game that isn't as boring as watching paint dry. Also it must be noted that, although not at all a part of gameplay directly, the voice acting is unparalleled. It's not something I thought I would care about but seriously there are moments in the game where I literally feel like I am playing an interactive movie which is really what this game is. Expand
  21. May 17, 2011
    Hate all you want but i thoroughly enjoyed this game. If you are looking for a brainless walk around and shoot stuff game then go play COD. This game is like if Heavy Rain and GTA had a child then that child was adopted and raised by John Alton and Michael Curtiz (and if you are too young or socially inept to get that reference then go play a nice lego game) Overall, its an amazing experience. Worth all of my $60. If you have the time, patience and mental capacity to comprehend that its about being a DETECTIVE then its well worth yours as well!. Expand
  22. May 17, 2011
    Thank you Team Bondi. Thank you. Seriously. Thank you for realizing that some of us out there want more. That we've shot enough people in the head, captured enough flags, and performed more than our fair share of super combos that this industry is long overdue for something new. Something new is precisely what comes to mind when I think of this game. I'm 14 hours in and not once have I been able to directly relate this to other games I've played. It's just so damn unique. The closest thing would probably be old school adventure games, but even those are left in the dust by L.A. Noire. I don't really know where to even begin. I could talk about the downright gripping narrative, the unmatched facial technology, the palpable atmosphere, the vibrantly recreated and supremely beautiful city of Los Angeles or the thrilling investigative elements. Maybe it sounds crazy, but yeah, finding clues and interrogating witnesses? Actually a hell of a lot of fun. Especially those interrogations. I seriously did not think they were going to be able to pull it off. That "talking" to someone would actually end up being interesting. Now that I have the full thing it's my favourite part of the game! The mechanics are great, but what really tops it off is the technology. The way L.A. Noire is able to capture an actor's performance makes it feel like you're actually engaging in a conversation with a real person, instead of all the lifeless, dead-eyed video game characters of the past. You truly have to read their faces and find out whether or not they're simply scared, or hiding an ocean of guilt. I could go on and on in similar fashion for just about every facet of the game, but I unfortunately don't have the space here. To sum it up, this is truly a new frontier for interactive storytelling. I feel lucky to be witnessing it firsthand and I can only hope that other developers take notice and will similarly strive to push the medium forward the way Bondi and Rockstar have. An absolutely spectacular achievement that feel lucky to be able to experience. Expand
  23. May 17, 2011
    One of the best games I have experienced in a long time. Gaming is heading in the right direction. Game is one of the best titles made all year, this is a game for puzzle solvers not shooters.
  24. May 17, 2011
    There are allot of brain dead gamers as to give this game a zero is absurd. Even if you do not like the game how could you rate this game a zero when it does so much that other games have never done before. This shows that the gaming industry still has some low IQ players who just like the same shooter games with different names. This is a leap in the right direction for gamers.
  25. May 17, 2011
    I love this game because it is very different than other games. Even though it is not a perfect game I am given a 10 to counter the absurd scores of zero given by a couple of people. Even though some people might find this game boring it does not merit a zero as the graphics and innovation that the game brings alone should score this game a 4 at least. It is quite shocking that some people can score a game a zero and plain dumb. Expand
  26. May 17, 2011
    I love this game but it does have flaws like no multiplayer which would of made the game more fun once you where done with it. There is allot that they could have added but overall im really happy with the game.
  27. May 18, 2011
    Very good game, the city is awesome and I´ve just played a few cases but there are so engaged, the art, faces and cars look so realistic. I think rockstar will change the manner to make games
  28. May 17, 2011
    A smart game that takes risks and goes places other games haven't. Don't expect to shoot your way through the plot - you have to use your head instead. Kudos to Rockstar and Team Bondi.
  29. tam
    May 17, 2011
    Finally a game that is a fresh of breath air from the same old type of games. A game for the person that wants to think and not just shoot and kill.
  30. May 17, 2011
    Total revolution in gaming!! Finally something new and exciting makes you think.. Graphics control sound good job rockstar as always.... Plus its refreshing to have a game that goes back in a significant time in history!!!
  31. May 18, 2011
    Solid game play. Best game out now. If you only could play 5 games this year, this should be one of them. Must love it. The story, the graphic and the acting.
  32. May 18, 2011
    LA Noire is simply put, the game we didn't even know we wanted. It is revolutionary in so many areas, from the MotionScan tech to the way you interact with the game. Mess something up, you are going to spend longer trying to get the facts straight. This is an outstanding game of logic and ingenuity with the Rockstar charm added to it. I credit Rockstar with crafting a new path, and getting a lot of it right. Additionally, I credit Rockstar for not ruining details of building like in GTA4 to save memory. The whole 1947 Los Angeles is amazing. Do note, this is no GTA, you can't just decide to go bad cop on the world, if you can accept that and don't mind using your brain, LA Noire is a game for you. Highly recommend it. Expand
  33. May 18, 2011
    For anyone reading this review, i have a simple fact to point out. Metacritic is a site built on statistical averages, 90 from the critics at the time im writing this and 82 from users. Therefore the game is a brilliant one. Therefore all the negative user review's are from haters, not from people with actual intelligent opinions. Someone commented there isn't much else to do other than the story, this is true but shouldn't be that important. A game's foundation have always been on the story. If you want to go and mindlessly shoot something buy cod, if you want a true sandbox experience where you can muck around and do whatever get gta or red dead. If you want a combination of excellent story telling with revolutionary motion capture and a truly immersive world which plunges you straight into L.A in the 40's then buy this game. Team Bondi and Rockstar have created a masterpiece. Expand
  34. May 18, 2011
    Innovative and gorgeous to behold. Sitting here at work today thinking about how I'm NOT playing it right now has been torture. I'm a huge fan of the adventure genre, and I've never really enjoyed running around as the bad guy in the GTA series (blasphemy, I know) so it's been refreshing to be the cops for once.
  35. May 28, 2011
    This is my Favourite Game of all time (Mainly because im a big Noir Genre fan) it is full of exciting missions and it is a BIG Game! I love the Story, its classic Noir at it's best! The Gameplay is Fresh and unique and the Graphics are Remarkable. Go out and Buy this Game!
  36. Jan 25, 2012
    L.A.Noire is a mature, immersive and very well produced adventure. Don't expect a traditional sandbox or an action game, L.A.Noire is much more close to old (and great) investigative adventures we had on PC years and years ago.
    The environments are extremely detailed and polished, every corner you explore is convincing and rich in details, the city is vast and amazing, cars are also
    impressive. Narrative is mature, deep and capture the "Noir" feeling and mood well. Characters are deep, something rare in video games, and will stay with you long after you finish the game.
    Facial animation is truly outstanding and the voice overs are all great and very expressive, all actors did a good job.
    Action moments are polished and fluid, just a bit repetitive at times, this is why I am not giving this unique game a perfect 10. Driving sequences are pleasant especially because the cars and the city just feel right, real but cinematic.
    L.A.Noire is not for every one, it is a slow pace game, but a immersive, deep, mature, dark and expressive gaming experience.
  37. Jan 8, 2012
    i am in love with this game and i cant stop playing it. i honestly cant think of anything bad to say about the game yes it is linear but so are alot of other great games and you would think going over a crime scene to try and find clues would get boring well it doesnt you always feel a sense of accomplishment when ever you piece together a crime and arrest the offender and the game also has a great story that i got sucked into and it kept me wanting to play so i can find out what happens next. this game may not be for everyone since there isnt shooting or car chases every 5 seconds for those that have the atention span of a 5 year old but this game is defenatly worth a try and must be experianced Expand
  38. May 18, 2011
    A welcome alternative to the stereotypical, with a seemingly flawless backdrop and facial expressionism, this has potential to produce a strong branding and lots of happy gamers, and for 247Consoles that's what gaming is all about. Superbly un-rushed and a credit to the Rockstar community supporters.
  39. May 22, 2011
  40. May 24, 2011
    Beautifully recreated world. The textures and style are amazing and the sound design is incredible. I suspect this game will get people playing it that never gamed before. I'm pretty sure my 64 year old Dad would get into this because of the historical accuracy of the buildings and cars, not to mention all the subtle flavors of the time creeping in through overheard conversations and radio programs. The window displays and billboards are great too. I've heard some people complain that this game isn't action-packed enough...well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I haven't been bored for a second. I'm constantly in awe of this game. Maybe not the best game for little kids that just want to get head-shots over and over. Expand
  41. May 26, 2011
    The game is enjoyable and the new way to play video games. The cases are fun and some remind me of things from movies like LA Confidental. The cases are sometimes straightforward but you have some choice in how you solve them.....All in all it's a great game to kick off the summer and lead us into all the fun that will be arriving later....
  42. Dec 28, 2011
    Now, THIS is a good game. People complain about how easy the game is, just wait for the controller to vibrate and that's it. NO GUYS! This functions can be deactivated whenever you want and you will be for your own! Each case has it's own story, but there is a well-thought and nice main story behind all of those other. Each time you complete a case, something about the main story will be revealed, and in the end you will uncover the past of Cole and that all the small stories are linked, creating a really nice plot. We can't forget the AMAZING atmosphere that the game offers, the AWESOME graphics and the GREAT sounds. A must-have for all of those who enjoy good games. Expand
  43. Feb 11, 2012
    There are flaws: the interview process can get repetitive and tedious, the sledgehammering visual metaphors and foreshadowing ("Look! Someone mentioned "doing God's work!"") go beyond mere homage and become uncomfortably cliched and the shootouts and fistfights are regularly unnecessary and lacklustre.

But these problems pale in the context of what Rockstar and Team Bondi have created:
    this game requires you to think, to learn and to immerse yourself into their meticulous recreation of Los Angeles. It's not perfect, but it's damned good. Expand
  44. May 18, 2011
    First off this game is amazing. The graphics are very good for a sandbox game. Characters look and sound great. Actors were spot on. I was amazed by the facial expressions on everyone during interviews when I first turned the game on but as I played it kind of went away slowly. Everything is top notch. I've noticed a few times where in more populated areas I'll get minor lag but it's to be expected. LA Noire's size feels enormous, but unfortunately it feels like you'll spend most of your time driving around then anything else. One thing that bothered me was the street missions. They will appear at the most random locations. When one pops up all the way across the city it starts to feel a little annoying having to drive back and forth. The story is great and actually it is quite fun solving crimes. I feel like this is a game I can play through a few times and still enjoy. The gun fighting is similar to red dead redemption with the targeting system, its good and works well with LA Noire. Hand to hand combat I'm not sure why but it feels off a tad. I just feel awkward doing it. I would have also liked to see a bit more customization maybe a few more guns too. In closing L.A. Noire is a very good game, Team Bondi did a fantastic job with everything and this game deserves the credit it's getting. Expand
  45. May 18, 2011
    Really, really cool game. No, it's not a first person shooter and it's not GTA IV so understand that up front. Fun, interesting, creative and innovative. The type of game you have to play to understand it. I can't stop playing it. Thumbs up.
  46. Jun 14, 2011
    This game plays like a combination of Phoenix Wright and GTA which is a very very good thing. The stories grip you and the gameplay is very smooth. The main story has one ending but each "case" you do has several. So you get to influence the game and experience a thrilling story line that only Heavy Rain has matched so far. While it starts out easy don't be fooled because it gets really hard really fast so be on your guard. My only complaint is that the gunplay feels a little stiff but gunplay is practically a mini game when compared to the rest of the game. It is something every game should at least try because most important it is unique... there is no other game out there like this. Expand
  47. May 24, 2011
    A beautiful game with only slight flaws that can be forgiven because this is so amazing to look at, to feel as who try to find a killer to a young families mother, great game!
  48. May 26, 2011
    Overall great game one of the best you will play in 2011 and also this gen, my only problem is there are a few hiccups in the stories plot line that has made me think less of the game, nevertheless I think that LA Noire deserves a solid 9/10.
  49. Jun 29, 2011
    By far, the best Rockstar game I've played. Like Mass Effect, L.A. Noire is not a game, it's an experience that must be seen (and played) to be believed. I'm amazed, truly, with how good this game actually is. Tons of hype, indeed, but with tons of reason. This is not your traditional sandbox game. This is no GTA. L.A. Noire is a ticket to an almost parallel universe where you'll believe - even if for seconds - you are a cop, investigating something, worrying, hunting. This is a product of love that MUST no be missed. Expand
  50. May 18, 2011
    What a great game no its not gta, but so what it makes you think. The graphics are amezing voice over everything about this game is great. I give it a 10. GO GET THIS GAME IF YOU HAVE NOT.
  51. May 18, 2011
    this game is awesome all these people that give it a 1 are losers. Best game of the year. I have played it dor over 7 hours and I still love it. Cant wait for rockstars next game.
  52. May 18, 2011
    this game rocksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  53. May 18, 2011
    this game is a gem love it best game everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
  54. May 19, 2011
    This game is amazing! I love the new style of gameplay and the story of these interesting characters. This game is a innovation to the gaming industry. It has the same voice acting quality of Toy Story 3. The graphics and facial animations are astounding. If you are a gamer then you have to play this game.
  55. May 19, 2011
    Great game! Rockstar & Team Bondi are genius! Best buy 100%! And it's true, that the new motion scan tech is definitely the best part of the game. Now, you are in the movie and you do the movie, like a director, like a main character.
  56. May 19, 2011
    I played this game quite a bit last night and was very impressed. While I was looking forward to it, at the same time I was a little apprehensive considering I thought GTA4 and RDR were only just good games, not brilliant. Firstly, the acting and storyline are the best I have seen, better than portal 2. The graphics are amazing and on par with the best this gen......much nicer on ps3 than the previous 2 R* games. The game mechanics are nice and I instantly liked the brawling, driving and shooting elements, again, they are big improvements on previous R* games.

It is still early days for me and there is always a chance it may get repetetive, but this game is definately worth picking up if you like more to your games than kill counts. I liked Heavy Rain and think this game is what that game should have been.
  57. May 21, 2011
    Rockstar does it again! I played this game on my XBOX and i was in awe, so many fantastic, unique characters.... just imagine if all games are like this! Maybe game was bit short and repetitive, but good far outweights the bad. 9.6/10
  58. May 27, 2011
    This genre of mystery solving peaked in the 1980's, and for people expecting a typical Rockstar "anything you can think of goes" approach, you will be disappointed. The role you play in the game is that of a Police officer- which means that by and large you don't run people over, you don't jack cars, and you don't carelessly fire your weapon for the sake of playing "what if". For many people who are conditioned for instant gratification or ignorance to the storyline via what has become a typical game, this is not going to be an enjoyable game for you. It is a game you sip, not gulp, in terms of game time and activity. There are several reviews that claim you can only play this game one way- this is patently false as I have already found more than 3 outcomes in the case that results in your first interrogation experience. In terms of correct outcomes, I think it mimics life quite well. You attempt to use what you know to form intuition, ideas, focus and outcomes- and you get it wrong as often as you get it right. I also appreciate the value of the actors and their voice work. The beauty of matched pitch with visual expression is just phenomenal. Call this the next stage, or the first stage of the next stage in realism for gaming. The last time a police game was this engaging was Sierra's Police Quest / SWAT series, so I applaud the appeal of this game. I have been telling friends for the last 2 years that the world needs an engaging game based on Justice and this delivers on several levels. I'm half way through the game, would I play the first half again knowing the outcomes? Yes- the fact that I have discovered you can capture fleeing suspects in multiple ways is interesting in itself and it makes me wonder what other nuggets there could be. I also would be interested to see expansions for this game- the dynamics of the game could very well go in so many directions. Expand
  59. May 24, 2012
    An incredible game that's sadly way ahead of its time. There's so much to do in and say about LA Noire that it's hard to know where to start, but simply from a technical standpoint the game is in a class of its own. The facial animations aren't just amazing in the cut scenes - even the tiniest character in the corner has his or her own personality. The map is huge and every street has its own stunning landmarks, and you can tour them in a host of different kinds of period automobiles. And just when the plot begins to grow slightly tiresome, suddenly a twist is introduced and you're playing as a different character. That said, LA Noire is a bit smarter than your average game, so it will appeal to a different audience than Grand Theft Auto, the latter of which involves much fewer riddles and no conversational skill whatsoever to beat. Despite very high expectations, LA Noire managed to actually deliver on all it promised in an age of otherwise lofty claims. The only reason why it doesn't deserve a 10 involves some of the conversational branches, which feel counter-intuitive at times and occasionally use tricks that were never explained or ever really introduced. But if you think the story is going to feel stale or antiquated as a result of the source material from which it is derived, amazingly this is not the case and LA Noire breaks a lot of new ground. Expand
  60. Nov 9, 2011
    Excellent game. Not your run of the mill average game by any means. Unique and engaging with plenty to do. Linear?.. sure, but not everyone wants every game to be sandbox. Some games are better when linear... this being one. However some should use caution if thinking of buying this game: you have to use your brain. All around terrific.
  61. Dec 13, 2011
    this is a revolution. pure magic. this game it´s a different concept . a movie made game. people who says : it´s too slow, we need liberty... THIS ISN´T A SANBOX!!!!!! it´s a fusion between graphic adventure and action. and probably we have the most original game in this year.
  62. Dec 24, 2011
    A nice influence in the gaming industry. I don't care what others say about this game. Brain and your instincts are the key elements to finish this game. Just like a real detective.
  63. Dec 26, 2011
    la noire just shows rockstar can do anything brilliant graphics great fun and a plot that only rockstar could make it has slight downfalls with only being able to use guns at certain points and not being able to go in swimming pools is not cool still one of the games of the year
  64. Aug 17, 2012
    L.A. Noire is an unique game, full of crimes and murders. You feel like a professional detective when you play this game, because L.A. Noire is masterful. Finding clues for the crime or murder that happened, is an unique experience. It's with a great gunplay and hand to hand fight. But, the gameplay, can be repetitive, if you play L.A. Noire too much. But, what impresses me is the face reaction of the virtual characters. It's so realistic and It's even needful. Virtual characters, by moving their mouth, eyes and eyebrows, it makes a needful part of the game. Detecting if someone lies, tells the truth or only you have doubt for both, That is a part of the gameplay, giving questions to bad guys to detect if he is the murderer. So, you have to search for plenty of victims and you have to give questions to them. Sounds boring, huh? Well, no It's not. It is amazing. 90 out of 100 Expand
  65. Sep 28, 2013
    "L.A. Noire" solo puede decir que Rockstar lo volvió a hacer: otra entrega de la prestigiosa compañía de videojuegos creó un "Grand Theft Auto" en los años 40' y déjenme decirles que funciona. Es un juego fuerte y decidido que te toma como rehén hasta que termina el juego y créeme que no te soltará.
    Sabio juego hecho para cambiar la temática "Grand Theft Auto".
  66. Oct 15, 2011
    Without lowering critique to hyperbolic crap, LA Noire is a fantastic game- at the very least from a presentation standpoint. The game is aimed specifically at those who have a love for the film noir genre, and as such this is an undisputed triumph that the game replicates. The reason this game isn't a 10 is due to the sheer amount of will to ace everything on the first sitting. Case in point interrogations. If you get interrogations wrong by reading a suspect's facial expressions and body language wrongly, most could so easily return to the main menu and try again. Also the structure does not cater for a completely different experience, you either get all the evidence and the complete picture or get few of the clues and have few correct questions and not get much of the picture at all. Though this should damage the game a lot more, it's the variety and pacing of the missions which almost redeem it entirely. So yes if you love the film noir genre and have an appreciation for R* games and the more linear yet more focused approach, LA Noire is essential. Expand
  67. May 31, 2011
    This game is one of the most interesting games i've ever played. People that are giving this game any less than an eight should have their heads examined; It is not call of duty
  68. May 19, 2011
    Absolutely ridiculous to give this game anything below a 9. Anyone doing so is either trolling, or expecting this to be San Andreas in the 1940s. The story is superb, acting (not just the voices) is amazing, and all around this is a fine example of interactive storytelling. It pushes the medium forward, which can't be said of a lot of other games in this generation. There isn't a whole lot of replay value, as far as I can tell, but collectibles, street crimes, film reels, landmarks, and seeing how a case turns out differently depending on what you do still holds some kind of replay value, but then again, Heavy Rain has almost no replay at all, and I still bought it and enjoy it to this day.

Anyway the negative reviews don't know what they're talking about. Great, great game.
  69. Sep 26, 2011
    The story is engaging and tells a tale much like the old films it's based off of. The graphics are some of the best out there with the facial animation tech making the characters so much more engaging compared to other games. This is not grand theft auto but just because it isn't the same as GTA or Red Dead doesn't mean it's a bad game because it's linear. This is much more of an interactive movie and an incredible experience. I do not know what amazingly fantastic stories people are comparing this game to when they say the story is crap. The story is really good in my opinion. The game play fits into the style of game it is. it's not an all out action game and so the mechanics of how to play and what you can and can not do fit. This game may not have the highest replay value but it certainly has some. No one can get through this game getting all the cases right with five stars the first time (without wiki of course). It is a bit frustrating getting a bad outcome on an interrogation or low score on a case but that's what also makes if fun. You get to go back knowing more and catch the real scumbag or don't take the bs that some dame fed you the play through before. I myself am a fan of vintage era cars and style and this game was fun to play through for that reason alone. Maybe it's not everyones thing but i'm giving it a ten because of all the people "counter acting" high scores. People rate it high for a reason. It's unique and definitely off pace from the mainstream fps flooding the market these days. Another reason I enjoyed it so much. This game was a risk to make so why not take the risk and try it at least. rent if you feel you can't afford to buy or want to test it first. or look online for a used copy, if you can't risk $20-30 on a used game no matter the quality you need a cheaper hobby. I recommend sticks and rocks, they are fun. Expand
  70. Jun 14, 2011
    There are a lot of criticism about the lack of detective work done in what seems to be a detective game for L.A. Noire. While these are very sound and reasonable arguments, it does not detract from the fact that L.A. Noire is a solid and hugely engaging game. The reason for this is most definitely the well written narrative, life-like voice/facial acting, and strong gameplay mechanics (though scarcely used). The game is very similar to Heavy Rain and likewise is very linear. Much of the game is investigations and dialogue. The small amount of gameplay you do get to have like driving and shooting are as you would expect from GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption, which are impeccable. It feels like a shame you don't get to utilize these mechanics more often. If you want a more cinematic, movie-like game however, expect L.A. Noire to deliver, and deliver well. Expand
  71. May 25, 2011
    This game is amazing. The majority of negative reviews are dumb because if you click on the user profile, you will see that person is just a hater. Who gives a zero to a game like this? LA Noire's story is great. The free roam is cool. But the story is where its at. You have to really look at the person you're questioning to crack the case. It's not a GTA game like so many people assume. It's a combo of Heavy Rain and GTA. Expand
  72. Jun 27, 2011
    I love how a very successful company like Rockstar took a risk with this fantastic game that FINALLY tries to do something different than "shoot everything on site" gameplay that is shoveled to us by all big gaming companies. It's so fresh to have a game that makes you use your wits and instincts a bit, and is about solving cases. Reminded me a bit of Phoenix Wright. Unfortunately I'm not sure if financially they will have the success they deserve. If my local store is anything to go by, I see returned copies on sale all the time, indicating to me that people are unwilling to leave their comfort mindless shooting zone and try something a little bit more engaging... Expand
  73. May 23, 2011
    This game is amazing. It's innovative, beautiful, has a great story and great gameplay. Instead of putting us into gun fights a lá Call of Duty it makes us think. I really love this game. For me, Rockstar is growing in maturity, artfullness and thought each year. This and Red Dead Redemption makes Rockstar my alltime favourite game company. This game is NOT for people who like action.

This game is for people who like art, wit, intelligence, great graphics, a good story and great acting. 10/10.
  74. May 26, 2011
    Really great game, the motion capture works remarkably well. The presentation is near faultless especially in the cut scenes at the beginning of each case. The pacing of the story is done really well and Team Bondi have done really well to create a 3-D protagonist in Cole Phelps. I do wish there were different difficulty settings and the latter street crime call outs seem to be more difficult than the action sequences in the final cases. Other than that a great game that has plenty of replay value as you try to get a correct response for each question you ask and get 5 star rating on every case Expand
  75. May 31, 2011
    I enjoyed this game, especially after I got used to the fact that it is not GTA and that it has different mechanics that require a different kind of play-through. This is an thoroughly satisfying game. It is also incredibly fun to play. Not the yahoo fun of a roller coaster, but the smile-inducing, giddy fun or getting lost in the gameworld, it's characters, and it's mysteries. This is a sophisticated, immersive, ground-breaking game that elevates the industry and creates a new genre. Some criticisms are true, but did not hinder my experience in the slightest. The game is linear, but no more so than the Uncharted games ( and , as is the case with uncharted, I am not bothered). The game takes a a great deal from point-and-click adventures, but takes it to a whole new level of immersion and "feels right" for the experience. The interrogation system is vague, but I believe that this is intentional and added to my sense of interacting with a living breathing, imprecise world. Some criticisms misrepresent the game. The stories do connect, to say more would be to introduce spoilers. Also, I think what some players consider to be "cut-scenes" are in fact the core game play--leading to some confusion. More an experience than a game, L.A. Noire delivered a terrific story to me in a way that made me feel it. I would give it 11 if I could. Expand
  76. Jun 26, 2011
    Amazing game with revolutionary face capture tech. But if it just had that as an attraction, the game would bomb. What keeps this game as a MUST HAVE is the fact that the investigative story and questioning techniques are not only unique, but are so ahead of anything out there.

The way that questioning and investigating bond the entire story and multiple characters, is so fresh that it
    makes you forget that Heavy Rain kind of initiated the concept. This makes you realise what heavy Rain COULD have been!

A genre defining game which will be copied in the future, but not beaten. If you want something which makes you think, connect with every character and feel challenged - this is the game for you. Unbeatable!
  77. Jun 14, 2011
    The bad reviews are people who thought this would be GTA... This games fresh and exciting, RockStar continues to dish out quality products... They actually went out of their way to make it NOT gta, love it! The Facial animations make every other game look like garbage it's really that good... There's similar gameplay ties in it with GTA, but I love the interrogation scenes... My only gripe is I'm scared this is all the DLC they will have for it.... Expand
  78. Jan 20, 2013
    The guys at Team Bondi/Rockstar definitely have seen L.A. Confidential too many times, L.A. Noire is basically the video game version of that movie. I just recently bought L.A. Noire and I wish I had gotten it a lot sooner. This game is such a refreshing departure from the sea of shooters and sandbox games out there. I applaud Rockstar for taking a bold new direction with this game. The graphics and character modelling/animations are some of the best I've seen. Post WW2/1940's Los Angeles is beautifully detailed, alive, and accurate to the time period, as you feel like you're actually in 1940's L.A. on a movie set. The voice acting is well done to, props to the casting team. This game certainly is an open world/sandbox game where you have the freedom to roam around, do side missions, and do the main missions at your own pace.
    Speaking of the main missions, they're varied, but get repetitive at the same time. There's missions where your'e doing high speed car chases, foot chases, interrogations, gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, gun fights, etc. If you're expecting some mindless shooter or GTA, this isn't your game, but if you want a game that offers something different and succeeds on what it has set out to do, this is a great game!
  79. May 26, 2011
    There are mature games where the meaning of the word is defined by bloodshed, gore and violence. Grand Theft Auto has lived up to these descriptions for years. Comments on the interwebs and message boards where fans of consoles linger decry "Mature" games as something to achieve through your age. Much like the drinking age in America, people consider themselves adults when they hit that magic number of 21. Once you arrive, at 21, you might feel as I did that being a real adult is completely elusive. It takes a few more years for seasoning and experience to set in. Then there are other "mature" games, but you may or may not find an M rating on the title. Hotel Dusk and Heavy Rain to name a couple examples, stand out as games of maturity without the need for gratuitous red paint everywhere. It's the narratives and experiences of games like these that propel the industry not only as a medium of story telling but as art. A tale of two dicks and mad men: Team Bondi has crafted an incredible tale of kitchy 1940's action that plays like an interactive version of L.A. Confidential. Phelps the main protagonist is as straight and rigid as they come. From the beginning you always get the sense as if he's going to have one glaring flaw to bring his world crashing down. Can he be as upright as he portends? Questions like these run rampant in L.A. Noire. Who is good or bad? Did I convict the right man, was justice served? Frankly they're questions we're rarely asked in our daily lives, and if we are we don't want to share it with other people, and even more scarce in the landscape of gaming. Rockstar's 1940 version of LA oozes with charm like the series Mad Men. Down to the details in cigars, whiskey lounges and Jazz the city seems abuzz with all the appropriate nuances. Some have decried the game as there not being much to do. Well if you mean you can't hit someone with a baseball bat and grab a rocket launcher while driving down the sidewalk with your gat, then no, L.A. Noire doesn't allow for those kinds of freedoms. It does however put you on your toes and give you the freedom as a detective to act like one. Who to investigate, what you deem evidence, and where to search for your next answer is up to officer Phelps. As a company known for those other "mature" titles Rockstar has hit a homerun with L.A. Noire. There's a few things they've tightened up from other 1940s and period pieces. For instance driving never feels sluggish, unlike some of the Mafia games where they try to give a real time impression of driving an old Plymoth. Traveling is quick and easy, but the city is huge so it's even better that they threw in a fast travel feature. It's about the A to B here, but if you want to explore you can. The music, and the production values are all top notch, needless to say so is the acting. By now you may have heard that one of LA Noire's biggest selling points is the evolution of facial animation. They have done it. Real, believable faces in sync with the audio are ready to interact with Phelps at every turn. It makes getting attached to characters an easy windfall, and contributes to the games premise of discovering who's telling the truth and who isn't. That's what you have to go on, a wink here, pinched lips, a glance to the side. It's amazing how far they went with the level of emotion, some looks can be the difference between telling a lie, and a question rolling around the person's noodle. Without this feature I doubt Noire would have achieved the level o game it became in the end. Things aren't one hundred percent roses in Noire either. As an initial effort the game is a creative success. There's some minor flaws in the gun play, the cover system feels tacked on, and the fisticuff sequences are too easy and bland. One time I was out numbered 3 to 1 and quickly dispatched two of the thugs. I'm a trained Ninja in real life, that probably helped. Next I was given a cutscene showing my character getting a good thrashing, I wasn't supposed to win the fight. It immediately took me out of the fluidity of the experience. There's tons to build on here and I bet with the success it's getting we're guaranteed to see a sequel. Some people used to the Rockstar formula may be quick to judge this title. Those missing rocket launchers and strip clubs may be immediately turned off. For the rest of the intended audience willing to take a chance on something refreshing, to savor it, you are in for an incredibly adult experience. Expand
  80. May 28, 2011
    People who compare this to Grand Theft Auto really need a life. L.A. Noire is not trying to be Grand Theft Auto at all, it is trying to be fresh and unique, and that is what it is. You have to use your head, but using your head is more fun and rewarding than tiring and no fun. The game looks gorgeous, has incredible face technology, has excellent controls, and the gameplay is overall revolutionary and exciting. L.A. Noire is one of the best games of 2011, go buy it! Expand
  81. May 24, 2011
    Rockstar have done it again; they've created another game with a richer story than you'd get from a modern Hollywood blockbuster and combined it with a new style of game. L.A. Noire tells the story of Cole Phelps, an LAPD detective in post-war Los-Angeles. While the game has the same look and feel of GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire's gameplay is completely different. Gone is the ability to shoot up the average passer-by; as Cole Phelps you're a good cop in a world of corruption. Instead of pumping lead into the criminals you now have to coerce information and confessions out of them. Suspects must be interrogated in order to open up new avenues for you to investigate. This game takes a bit of brainpower and skill in order to read whether your suspect is telling the truth, or if they're trying to serve you a plate full of stinking lies.

Revolutionary, refreshing and compelling. L.A. Noire will keep you hooked as long as you can appreciate it for what it is - gamers looking to pop caps need to look elsewhere.
  82. Jun 22, 2011
    My reviews go like this. A 10 means you should get this fast. A 7 means get it if your interested, but not for everyone. A 5 means you should rent. A 2 means screw this game. La noire is a **** ten La noire is a ten because it is immersive with so much to do. This masterpiece gives you your sixty bucks worth and it really is fun. L.A is a great environment and I really enjoyed this game, everything is great and I love this definitely a perfct addition to other ps3 games like portal 2 and dead space 2 Expand
  83. May 29, 2011
    This game requires that you actually pay attention and make actual decisions. as others here have pointed out, you're going to hate this game if you're just thinking you can run rampant all over the place and not fail. The graphics are great even though in HD there are lines here and there which in this age of HD is very odd indeed. the biggest reason in my book why this game didn't get a 10 is because of unbelievable POPUP!! there was one point where i was clipping a curb to get around a car and right at the corner the lightpole just APPEARS OUT OF NOWHERE. there are frequent issues of this throughout the game and it gets either quietly accepted or cussed out depending on what and where it is. the driving scenes are something that makes me squirm, this game was make by friggin ROCKSTAR, hello?? why is the driving so clunky?! when you go to turn the car, it is immediate and VERY sharp, as taking a turn at even normal speeds you're bound more often than not to have a head on collision especially if making a left turn. chase scenes with the cars are even more problematic, as unless you're extremely good with your reflexes, you're going to run into buildings, people and everything else trying to catch somebody since the turning of your car again becomes more of a huge problem than it should. the facial animations are as everybody else has said here are the cream of this game. All I'm gonna say now is that if you're not a thinking gamer, willing to take time and invest into a game that really does make the best of what it offers, don't even bother with this. Expand
  84. May 23, 2011
    beautiful, detailed, Game of the year for me. Like being in a movie. Watch LA Confidential and decide whether you like/live this movie. If yes then that's the game for you
  85. Jun 7, 2011
    as a simulator, the game is out of this world! the best simulator ever. you really feel like your on the crime scene, it feels like real police word... in that perspective I would give LA Noire 10. but if you look at it as a game, then there is some things which ruins the game a bit... the story isn't good enough... and the game suffers a bit on being very much the same all the way through... so to rate it as a game, as it is... I will give it 8,7 Expand
  86. Jun 4, 2011
    This is not a GRAND THEFT AUTO GAME! This is a detective crimestory game, and what it does, it does damn well, I always trust Rockstar to pump out amazing titles and this is not exception.
  87. May 23, 2011
    I do not like GTA at all. That's why I really have to say: wow! What a great game! Story is great, game mechanics, too. Love the setting, the sound, the characters. Go buy it!
  88. May 23, 2011
    my first rockstar game (aside from chinatown wars on DS)

it is better than i expect i thought all the reviews for everything else where over exaggerated. but it isn't as good as i expected with people lying for no real reason which annoys me why lie it didn't involve you? >:( it is however a lot of fun to take up the time between now and the duke nukem release date it think that this is
    a great entry level point for me, can see myself liking it due to the fact that unlike the others you can't get this sort of thing anywhere else (RDR + GTA + flying + grappling hook = Just Cause 2) and the focus on art and character development is great here

a good buy if you like, detective stories or want something long to take up the time
  89. Oct 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this is a review for la noire. it is a video game where things happen and some things that do not happen. it was okay. i would say that it was a video game. Expand
  90. Nov 6, 2012
    A linear style of gameplay and a story driven mission style may scare some people away, but the innovation this game achieves with its visuals and acting is incredible. Not only does the game achieve the level of excitement which wouldn't normally be achieved with simple detective style gameplay, it has stunning visuals and an excellently told storyline that is to be expected of Rockstar these days. All in all, an ambitious new game that sets the scene for a perhaps a new genre to emerge. Expand
  91. May 23, 2011
    Unique in every aspect,great graphics,storys and crimes are amazing.Its not GTA,Its not red Dead,ITS BETTER!!Total game immersion for me.In one simple sentence..ROCKSTARS FINEST HOUR so far on The PS3.Gonna take ages to complete and so much to do its a welcome breath of fresh gaming air!!
    GENIUS
  92. May 28, 2011
    LA Noire picks up a 9/10 and a coveted spot on the podium of my all time favourite games.

Pros:
    Fabulous period piece atmosphere
    Most realistic in game characters ever
    Challenging & fresh gameplay mechanics
    Gripping story lines
    Great expandability with case structure, and big free roam worldâ
  93. May 31, 2011
    L.A Noire is a great game and is well worth a play, particularly if your a fan of Phoenix Wight or Noir style movies. The narrative is solid and will draw you in if you let it, it does however get a bit dry around the halfway point but it picks up again and you'll probably have the urge to see it through in that sitting. Graphically the game is top notch, while there are some screen tears the mo cap faces more than make up for it. Gameplay wise; the controls are tight and responsive but a jump button wouldn't go amiss. Searching for clues is enjoyable at first but can get a bit tedious latter on (thats detective work for ya), however there is a way around it. When it comes to questioning suspects this is where the game really shines. Reading suspects faces is tricky at times but can be really rewarding if you use your "skills of deduction" correctly. The score of this game is great; the music is very Noir and really helps in your search for clues. This game makes being a detective fun and exhilarating but if you prefer action to narrative then maybe this isn't the game you. Expand
  94. May 23, 2011
    Rockstars history is violent and bloody for sure. Known for creating Red dead redemption, Bully, Manhunt and ofcourse the 'notorious' Grand theft auto series. Rockstars team Bondi does things differently and places you on the opposite side of drug dealers, murderers and the mafia. Story

You play Cole Phelps, a veteran who fought the japanese in the second world war and started working in
    the city of Los Angeles for the police as a street cop. Through out the game little will be told about cole's social and personal life. Information about he's experiences in the war are told by cutscenes after certain cases you solve. They provide some info about cole's personality and past but later in the game these cut scenes will occur less often. Not much is givin away about Cole nor he's family or social ties. You will occasionally get some additional information about the protagonist from the conversations with you're partner while driving to a location but this is not enough for me to make me care about him. The entire story aspect however is not bad. As the cases you must solve have plenty of good story telling in them. They keep you interested and there are plenty of plot twists in them to make you keep guessing and investigating. Together with the sublime voice acting and face animations it will keep you hooked till the last second. Gameplay

L.A. Noire is a sandboy game but with it's restrictions. I found Mafia 2 quite a linear sandbox game with little to do outside story progressing missions. If this made you dissapointed and trade back or not buy mafia 2 then you should not even attempt at trying this game out. There are no real side missions except for the occasional dispatch call. You are givin all the time in the world to visit all the landmarks, collect all movie reels and read all newspapers but it doesn't fit in a serious game like this as you are always investegating a case. There are 5 kinds of gameplay in L.A. Noire: Investigating, shooting, driving, interrogation and chasing. Investegating and interrogation are the primary gameplay aspects in this game. This game is about detective work. To find evidence and exctract evidence from suspects in order to succesfully solve you're case. Shoot outs are rare but a good diversion and chases on foot or car are exciting and make the experience less repetative. Investegating a crime scene or a another location is simple. Walking near an object you can investigate will make you're controller vibrate. Once you have picked up the item you are able to inspect it from different angles, making you search for information about the item you picked up. once you have discoverd all clues the investigation soundtheme will stop playing. Interrogation is not as simple as gathering clues. When interogating a suspect you will pull out you're notebook which is a tool mainly for marking a destination on the map, writing down clues and asking questions. People you interview will react differently to the questions you ask. After you asked someone a question they will either Lie, tell the truth or are in doubt. Judging by how they react to a question you can select one of the three options. It is really awesome, But there are also some little flaws here in there. Judging if someone is lying or is in doubt can be really difficult as the facial animations are alike. And since a question can only be asked once this can be frustrating. To claim that a person is lying you must always have evidence to back up you're claim. This is a risky business as you must always have the right evidence in you're notebook to prove them wrong. sometimes evidence seems most likely to prove that a person is lying. This is not always the right one and sometimes after you claim that you're suspect is lying, the clue you thought that would prove it becomes the wrong clue because sometimes after you stated that the suspect is lying the suspect will raise a question irrelivant to the question you asked. It is still very well executed never the less.

Shootouts and chases are situations you won't come across often although chases are more common. I noticed one thing almost immediately. You don't have a weapon reel nor can you store weapons anywhere. Everytime you pull you're gun you will always use you're standard pistol. You can pick up weapons from fallen enemy's. Unfortunatly you can't keep them. Chasing someone in a car or on foot is easy but fun. the routes and car crashes are all scripted but they still managed to impress me. Presentation & Sound

L.A. Noire looks very good and ofcourse the main selling points of this game is it's revolutionary face animations. This game would not have been that special if they did not use this technique. Graphics look smooth, realistic and the mechanics work fine. This game is very special no doubt. This game is the best in what it offers.
  95. May 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a beautiful example of how taking some risks can pay off. This game is fairly unique in what it does. It reeks of Rockstar. Yeah, I know Team Bondi had the bigger involvement in the development but you can can tell that Rockstar had a hand in this and that's in no way a bad thing.

The characters and plot in this game was for me gripping. There is an arc that stretches across the length of the game, first being quite subtle and unimportant but building up as the game goes on. My only complaint would be that there wasn't enough normal cases and a lot of cases actually weren't properly solved until later on in the game. Stand-alone cases such as those you encounter in 'Traffic' are amongst my favourite - though of course these are the sort of cases that will become available through DLC in the future.

The driving and shooting are pretty much pulled straight out of GTA, so fans of that series won't be disappointed in that department although they aren't the main focus of the game. That of course is the investigation. The investigation side of things is remarkable, I have seen a lot of people complain that there is always a set outcome which is a fair complaint I suppose. Though at least 3 times you have to choose between two suspects, and which suspect you pick will determine what rating your case gets at the end and how those above will either be pleased with Phelps or not so pleased.

What I developed an obsessive compulsion for was collecting all of the evidence and getting all of the questions right to secure a good case rating at the end. This didn't always work out, but for people who are like me and have a perfectionist streak in them should get more out of the game than the cynics who will scoff and say "Who cares what happens, it's the same result" it's less about the result and more about how you reach that result that is important.

Personally, I would buy a sequel. Give me a new setting or era to work in to spice things up some more and I'd happily work through another load of cases, I just can't wait for the DLC to come in June.
  96. May 26, 2011
    L.A. Noire is truly a unique game. Never before have I played a game quite like it. All my life video games have trained my eye-hand coordination, but L.A. Noire teach gamers something different. L.A. Noire teach people how to think. How to read people. How to create scenarios in your head and weight evidence. Who is likely to be guilty? Who is lying, and who do you trust? Other than a truly unique experience, L.A. Noire looks fantastic, with excelent light and color. The facial expressions are just as beautiful as they are flawless, and 1940's Los Angeles is a sprawling city, full of life and constant movement. Rockstar and Team Bondi has created a true masterpiece. Expand
  97. Jun 3, 2011
    This is a really, really good game. Everything Rockstar has ever done, in my opinion, has been great and this game is no different. The actors are great (Cole Phelps, the main character, is Ken Cosgrove from AMC's Mad Men), the graphics superb, and the gameplay truly unique. While the gameplay is rather linear and repetitive, everything I've done in about 6-7 hours of gameplay has been fun. Like many other reviewers have said, do NOT buy this if you want to go all rogue on LA, 'cause it won't work. GTA-esque gameplay is always fun, but LA Noire's innovativeness is something worth trying out. I would compare the linear gameplay to Assassins Creed; however, like AC, the gameplay got so much better with each new installment. Hopefully LA Noire does the same and continues to make the cases more difficult in the future (if there are sequels to come). Expand
  98. Jun 3, 2011
    sony360gamer you really need to grow up! How can you review a game with out even playing it? This is clearly not the game for you! Since not every game if for everybody, you should stick to reviewing games you HAVE played or games that fit your style of game play. Maybe something that only requires button mashing, like Street fighter!

Also it's one thing to have an opinion about
    something, its another thing to insult everybody out there that is enjoying the game you just hated on! Don't feel sorry for the people who bought LA Noire, feel sorry for yourself, for believing your opinion is the only one out there that counts! Grow up and review a game when you have the intelligence to do so!! Expand
  99. Jun 3, 2011
    The review under green don't like videogames anymore, don't like inovations anymore. L.A. Noire is the best game of the year and Rockstar proved that sandbox is a kind of game that you can enjoy FOREVER. This games is innovative, beatiful and the new motion face cap is the most wonderful thing that I've seen in a videogame. I really love the graphics, it almost playable CGs. The investigation gameplay is spetacular like Heavy Rain, but more enterteinmenting.

GTA, Red Dead Redemption, and now LA Noire. Rockstar will put the Game of The Year again!!

Im from Brazil and im waiting for E3, that should be open to the public at least 1 day!!!!! Like TGS or Leipzig GC. Every Year i watch E3 by internet on GameSpot, i love the interative cam, and the boths tour, i will be sad with i was a californian and they don't let me pass by the doors of Center Convention, C'mon guys of gamebussiness, we gamers are the core of this industry, and we need just a 1 day open doors at E3.
  100. Jun 5, 2011
    This game is amazing Team Bondi have done a great job making the game and Rockstar have the right one to do the game. it's a REVOLUTION in gaming history!!.

1. Oct 19, 2011
    At first L.A. Noire seems a bit too easy, then it gets interesting and reading people's reactions makes for some of the best gaming this year. The atmosphere is spot on and the late 40's LA really feels like an authentic, living place. [June 2011]
  2. Aug 16, 2011
    Team Bondi created a technical masterpiece with L.A. Noire. The problem is that they didn't create an artistic or even entertaining masterpiece.
  3. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.