• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Aug 30, 2007
6.4

1. AndrewL.
    Sep 5, 2007
    Love the sound, graphics, and story. Want to pitch it out the window for its aggrivating control scheme.
  2. May 14, 2015
  3. Smaxor
    Oct 3, 2007
    Too many fanboys are creating a reality distortion effect around this game (4 out of 5 stars, on Amazon, wtf). I bought it, wish I hadn't. All those professional reviewers aren't wrong, the controls strangle an otherwise great game. In fact I'd call it a case study of a AAA title brought down to the D level thanks entirely to its awful controls. I strongly suggest you rent Too many fanboys are creating a reality distortion effect around this game (4 out of 5 stars, on Amazon, wtf). I bought it, wish I hadn't. All those professional reviewers aren't wrong, the controls strangle an otherwise great game. In fact I'd call it a case study of a AAA title brought down to the D level thanks entirely to its awful controls. I strongly suggest you rent or borrow the game before spending $60 on it. Expand
  4. Jaime
    Jan 7, 2008
    I don't recomend this game for: - Poor framerate. - Medium graphics . - And in 1 mission that can last 1 hour ,you have three lives, if you lost another life ,you have to repeat all.
  5. DinkerParks
    Jul 28, 2007
    Unfortunately this game isn't as good as it could've been. Dragons, dragons, dragons... love dragons, but it's not worth it if I can't play well with the game's subpar gameplay and controls. Story-wise it's also nothing to snooze at.
    Even though it has some nice graphics, in terms of design and aesthetics it fails in many parts, the models aren't as good as it can be. All in all, if you really want to try this game, rent it first or play a demo before you decide, because you might get disappointed if you don't.
  6. Jan 14, 2015
    Game looked nice on covers but actually playing it revealed how bad it actually is. Whole thing looks and feels like it was made as tech demo when PS3 came out.
    I wonder if the developers were proud of their creation or did they knew how bad of a game this would be?
  7. ChrisS.
    Sep 3, 2007
    Horrid game. How could they hype this so much? It is barely playable.
  8. RobH.
    Sep 10, 2007
    This game is terrible. Amazing graphics and musical score, but horrid controls and boring and tedious gameplay. I wanted to love this game, but couldnt. Also, it looks like Sony sent some cronies, namely Tim P., to promote this game and bash the Wii. So how is the Wii remote a gimmick and Six axis not? Sony added the six axis AFTER they saw the wii remote. If anything, the six axis This game is terrible. Amazing graphics and musical score, but horrid controls and boring and tedious gameplay. I wanted to love this game, but couldnt. Also, it looks like Sony sent some cronies, namely Tim P., to promote this game and bash the Wii. So how is the Wii remote a gimmick and Six axis not? Sony added the six axis AFTER they saw the wii remote. If anything, the six axis controller is the gimmick, and it shows in this game. Expand
  9. CabroNorberto
    Sep 10, 2007
    I rented this game and returned it the next day. I thought to give it a shot like the people here suggest to do but I feel like I wasted $4 EVEN renting it. Bad camera, frustrating controls, CHEAP AI.... the list goes on and on... The only great thing is the music which is AWESOME! Theres is plenty slowdown and drop in framerate here so many people here are telling lies. Check an in-gameI rented this game and returned it the next day. I thought to give it a shot like the people here suggest to do but I feel like I wasted $4 EVEN renting it. Bad camera, frustrating controls, CHEAP AI.... the list goes on and on... The only great thing is the music which is AWESOME! Theres is plenty slowdown and drop in framerate here so many people here are telling lies. Check an in-game video of the game and you will see... Expand
  10. PhillipB.
    Sep 28, 2007
    It gets a 2 for its beauty. Gameplay is horrible (mainly due to the control issues) and the story makes little to no sense. I feel betrayed as I was so excited for this game.
  11. KenG.
    Sep 3, 2007
    Man the control stinks, nice game to look at be it's unplayable with this controls... Stay away from it.
  12. TomW
    Jul 2, 2009
    Don't listen to people blinded their love for the console, this game is terrible and frustrating. Sixaxis controls are spotty and inaccurate at best (even after an hour of tutorial training), the story is predictable and uninteresting. I waited for the game to drop below $20 to pick it up and it still wasn't worth it. If you are truly interested just buy one of Factor 5's Don't listen to people blinded their love for the console, this game is terrible and frustrating. Sixaxis controls are spotty and inaccurate at best (even after an hour of tutorial training), the story is predictable and uninteresting. I waited for the game to drop below $20 to pick it up and it still wasn't worth it. If you are truly interested just buy one of Factor 5's old X-wings games and pretend they're dragons, you'll have much more fun. Expand
  13. DanteN.
    Sep 7, 2007
    LOL Tim P. is a complete failed fanboy. Everything about this game sucks, not even the graphics deliver, because are full of glitches, slowdowns. The AI is cheaper than an 8bit old NES game, the control is abismal, maybe the only good thing about Lair is the music, otherwise don't buy the most dissapointing game of this entire generation.
  14. SimonR.
    Oct 17, 2007
    A over hyped game that turned out to be rubbish.
  15. JuicyT.
    Nov 15, 2007
    The controls are disgustingly bad, the missions are horriflically repetitive and the boss fights are like a sad game of follow the leader. This game only focuses on graphics and throws everything that matters in the garbage, it's almost like they didn't even test the game for problems before they submitted it to retailers. I'll be glad when sony comes out with a good game The controls are disgustingly bad, the missions are horriflically repetitive and the boss fights are like a sad game of follow the leader. This game only focuses on graphics and throws everything that matters in the garbage, it's almost like they didn't even test the game for problems before they submitted it to retailers. I'll be glad when sony comes out with a good game like "Uncharted" or "Ratchet" where they already have an established control scheme that no gay sixaxis is going to get in the way of. Expand
  16. GregoryG.
    Sep 4, 2007
    The whole concept of the controls are terrible. While it makes sense the whole pulling of the reigns thing actually works but it's just not intuitive nor is it any fun.
  17. DavidK.
    Nov 11, 2007
    The could be a good game. It has nice graphics. I awaited it big time. Now after 3-4 hours (and after almost smashing my controller into the TV) I say the game s*cks. The controls are so bad that there are no worlds for them. I never thought controls can kill a game. 'You can learn them!' 'Its a matter of time and practice!' But here it not kills the game but The could be a good game. It has nice graphics. I awaited it big time. Now after 3-4 hours (and after almost smashing my controller into the TV) I say the game s*cks. The controls are so bad that there are no worlds for them. I never thought controls can kill a game. 'You can learn them!' 'Its a matter of time and practice!' But here it not kills the game but terminates it. Destroys it. It siply tortures it to death. In this game sixaxis is bad. (I am saying this despite I am sony fan.) Played game like Drakan:Ancient's Gates, Drakengard 1-2 there it was good, playable, controllable. Here.... you want to do a 180 instead game dashes, you want to dash, game does 180. You need to evade right, you shake the controller right it does not do anything (or goes left instead). The controls are HORRIFIC!!!!!! Expand
  18. UncleDougB.
    Oct 17, 2007
    One HUGE cobbled-up piece of trash, and nothing more.
  19. NofaceMan
    Sep 11, 2007
    I played it for a very short time and had to walk away because of the crap that the sixaxis controls had created the game. Im returning it immidately.

1. Lair has come together beautifully... With its stunning visuals and incredible soundtrack, Lair may well be the single most powerful experience that a man can share with his $5,000 home theatre system. [Aug 2007, p.64]
    I expect many fans will be disappointed thanks to all of the hype that's built up around the game, but the inevitable complaints about the control scheme will be warranted. [Sep 2007, p.79]
  3. Don't buy it if you want a dragon that does what it's told. [Sept 2007, p.82]