7.2

1. Sep 12, 2011
    Last week, I purchased LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars for the PS3. It took me about 5 days and 25 hours of gameplay to complete the game fully, including 100% on-game completion and the platinum trophy (my first platinum). Now I bring you my review, the first review for the shoulders of Firey Vengeance blog, in both video and written form. Lego Star Wars III costs only $49.99 new at gamestop, a $10 downgrade from most other newly released PS3 games. This is both good and bad news. While it does allow many more to access the game easier, it also shows a considerable downgrade in the confidence TT Games have with their series. Still, the upcoming release of LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean shows that TT are relentless and diverse in the production of their games. I hope that LEGO Pirates does well in its own right, but today I'm here to talk about LEGO Star Wars III (Although it is actually the fourth in the series, technically). LSW3 is a giant step forward from the previous LEGO games, and a small nudge forward from last year's excellent LEGO Harry Potter (Expect a sequel 3rd or 4th quarter). While the ability to design customized levels and any online option are omitted, other new features bring the game forward in a new and improved direction. The first new thing I noticed about LSW3 is that it is abundant in content. Dozens of characters, including all of your favorites from the TV show, some returning characters from the movies (you unlock characters such as Vader and even Vader's Apprentice from collecting all the mini kits on a level) , and the ability to make your own custom characters, up to 18. Also, there is a giant boost level-wise. This time around, levels are bigger, more difficult (especially on the true-jedi front, if you don't get score x2), and, unlike some of the abominations of levels filling the blasphemy of a tribute in LEGO Indiana Jones 2, more true to the series. The cutscenes capture and lighten some of the great moments from the series, and, as a rare watcher of the show, make those who haven't had the chance to see the show more curious of the actually, pretty good series. In addition, a new mode, named "Assault" has been added. This mode is reminiscent of Star Wars Battlefront's galactic conquest mode. Although not as long-lived, completionists and those looking for an extra challenge will have their time taken up capturing bases (Basically command posts, except captured slightly differently), destroying statues of Yoda and Grievous, and building escape pods. There are a bunch of these missions, too many to count, and they are available as both republic and separatist campaigns. While fulfilling (and a requirement to get that prestigious gold brick collecting trophy), these levels are extremely repetitive and tedious, and take up hours of time better used when playing story levels. Another refreshing feature is the great new ability to both fly starships and walk on land in two levels. The main hub of the game is ridiculously over-done this time around. You can travel between two ships, the republic and separatist ships, and visit countless numbers of rooms. Some can only be unlocked by collecting a certain amount of gold bricks, which are rewarded when you complete, get true-jedi, or get all minikits on a level, and when you complete a bounty hunter mission or assault mission. the game isn't particularly hard, especially now that the red bricks are much easier to get (you don't even have to pay for something if you type in the code for it, and you'll still get the collect all red-brick trophy). Still, it's more difficult than previous games. Also, there are gold brick missions to do in between the two hub ships, where you can fly vehicles. All that's really left to talk about are the graphics, which are awesome. It's 10 times more HD that the previous lego games, and the lighting effects are superb. The game is almost completely glitch-free, although I had to restart my PS3 a couple times since there was so much content on the screen at once (they can now have like 500 characters on screen at once). Sound-wise, nothing much has changed, except for the addition of terrible elevator music on the republic HUB ship and awesome elevator music on the separatists HUB ship. The camera is not different from that of LEGO Harry Potter, and is pretty solid, at least in comparison to LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga. Overall, LSW3: The Clone Wars is a solid game, and a vast improvement over it's predecessors, especially in content amount. There are still improvements to be made, but TT Games have definitely taken the right step. Expand
  2. Jun 3, 2011
    This is a great game. Its great for both casual and hardcore gamers. The lack of online co-op hurts the game, but overall its a great game. This is a must buy for any Star Wars fan.
  3. May 27, 2011
    Another great LEGO game. This one even takes things up a notch by adding RTS elements such as building barracks and turrets. I also love the Venator interior as the setting for accessing the levels and the way you unlock access to more and more of the ship. A very fun game.
  4. May 12, 2011
    Like zombies and brains, adorable dogs and top hats, and footballers and adultery, the happy relationship between Lego and Star Wars can't be denied. Tiny Boba Fett, people! Even here, when Traveller's Tales has had to resort to a cartoon spin-off for its source material, it's a building block triumph.

There's the sense of scale for one thing - evident when you're taking down the
    Malevolence, General Grievous' massive warship, flying into different sections of its ruined hull in your own ship, blasting at its guns, watching huge chunks of it fall into the vastness of space. Basically, this is the Lego set you would have had if your dad were a Russian oligarch.

For all the impressive set-pieces, it's a platformer at heart, and you can still use your Jedi powers to move bricks around, build new things and solve simple problems. But perhaps unsurprisingly for a game with Wars in the title, the emphasis here is much more on combat than puzzles. It's patchy: boss fights stretch from section to section, which can drag, and in larger battles you're sometimes swarmed by enemies as you head towards your next objective. It can be frustrating, but in other scenes you get to control large numbers of clones, so it's not all one-way massacring.

There are some other fun new features, like the ability to switch between two groups of characters in different parts of the action or being able to use your lightsaber as a welding torch to cut through doorways. And that's on top of all the saber swinging, mind powering, gun blasting and stud collecting from previous games. Until someone teams up My Little Pony and Uncharted properly, this is still the series to beat for nostalgic platforming.
  5. Mar 3, 2014
    I got stuck in the middle of longish missions because there was so much going on and no indication of what to do. Usually, I analyze such situations and find a solution, but here I had no intuitive design to cling to. Got frustrated several times during the 11 hour playthrough. You could say that puzzles are a good thing, teaching kids to think for themselves, but I would only recommend it to someone with lots of patience and analytical capability. I didn't have much fun during the action scenes, since most of it requires bashing one button (there's literally no other option), but some mini bosses required jedi tricks which was sweet. The levels, characters, vehicles, and the hub are all made to impress, and you could easily see it as the most awesome Lego Star Wars playset ever, if you have the patience to experience even half of it.

Don't even think about the plot of this game. The cutscenes make more sense as short slapstick-sketches and they work very well as diversion from the gameplay. The humor is spot on btw, in the hub space ship, you can find a table tennis table and literally two Lego bats (the animal) on it. That's the game's humor right there.

The game holds up really well in 2014, but I would not have liked it much to begin with. I'd hire the graphic artists any day, but the game design left me unimpressed, although there are a lot of elements, RTS, space shooter, platformer, puzzles, epic bosses, free play, unlockable Lego vehiicles, customizable characters etc. There's a lot to see and unlock, but I don't guarantee your motivation to get there.

1. May 9, 2011
    After the thoughtful Lego Potter, this is a force push backwards. [June 2011, p.84]
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    It's not going to win any awards for innovation, but it's a damn enjoyable experience that kids are going to love nevertheless. [Issue#204, p.91]
  3. The series to beat for nostalgic platforming. [May 2011, p.112]