7.8

1. Sep 25, 2011
    Dull and lifeless. Slow and repetitive gameplay, with disparate levels and retreads. Poor, unsaturated, depressing art direction. This is no mario. Its E-mario (emo mario) and a sad excuse for an indie game. I'm ashamed I played the demo and that this what gaming has become. I'll be playing the much more elegant and exciting Blade Kitten instead of this junk. If this was the only game in hell, I wouldn't play it. Expand
  2. Jul 21, 2011
    In this day and age of frenetic, adrenalized gunplay, twisting and weaving plot-lines, overwrought character development and a bombardment of on-screen displays, hints and information, LIMBO is truly a breath of fresh air. Or rather, a thick, deeply atmospheric dream-like fog. With no on-screen HUD, no prompts, no introductory cut-scenes and no real idea who this little boy is or why he has just woken up in this eerily beautiful black and white world, we are given no choices but to progress and explore what lies ahead of us, and for him.
    It is a magic, yet slightly disturbing feeling, akin to the confusion one senses for those first brief moments after awaking from a particularly vivid and surreal dream of ones own.

Death is a part of life, and you'll witness death first hand many times as you traverse the world of LIMBO.
    The deaths are quick, yet quite brutal to witness, and even though there is no significant penalty to dying, you realize after only a few minutes that the boy is indeed very fragile. So your movements become cautious, you want to study the seemingly insignificant ground before you step forth.

Animations are smooth as silk. As for the sound, if you don't have a surround sound set-up, I recommend headphones, as it can be vital to anticipate what lies ahead via subtle audio cues.
    If you are playing through tv speakers, I guarantee you after 10 minutes you'll catch yourself leaning ever towards the screen- not because of poor audio. Rather, the immersion will pull you in.

Rarely have I experienced such a game. LIMBO deserves to be recognized as true art. Without the use of quotation marks.
    10/10. The sense of loneliness and despair is very real.
  3. Aug 4, 2011
    I loved this game. Simple but incredibly moving. Got a little too tricky near the end, but kept me on my toes, even if I was getting quite frustrated at times. Wish it was about 2-3 times longer though!
  4. Aug 7, 2011
    I'm not sure this is as innovative as some people would have you believe; Take away the unusual graphics and atmosphere and what you're left with is a well designed but fairly conventional side scrolling platform puzzler. It is different though and good fun while it lasts......................
  5. Jul 29, 2011
    Awesome... I have been waiting for this to arrive on PSN for some time now. Lives up to all the hype! Whatever you do just play through it without looking at walkthroughs or cheats... believe me, it will make the experience that much better...
  6. Jul 30, 2011
    Very fun game, very unique and well-designed. Loved the idea and it's black and white setting, combined with very dark tones make it a must-buy for PSN players.
  7. Oct 31, 2011
    What if you took away all the things that make a game flashy, in-your-face, and even took away shooting? What if I told you a story with puzzles based on bodies, gravity, and an insanely haunting audio video experience? Limbo is one of the best puzzle games this year, with compelling story-based progression.
  8. Feb 8, 2012
    This **** is amazing. We are so used to playing these crazy games with so many controls that we are drawn to a little game with 3 controls (walk, jump, and grab) and no load times. The atmosphere is enough to make this a 10/10 but the ending blows my freaking mind. I would give this 15/10 if i could. You would think that with a game where no one talks and you can't see the face or anything of anyone that there couldn't be a "good" ending. Limbo completely proves that wrong. I thought about what the ending really meant long after I stopped playing. It's simply amazing. Expand
  9. Oct 10, 2012
    A dark and beautiful puzzler, Limbo is best played alone, in the dark, with the sound cranked all the way up. With no HUD, no clues, three commands, and a story that lets you interpret it, Limbo serves as a breath of fresh air to the side-scrolling industry. Too bad one or two play-throughs is its maximum replay value before things get old, fast.
  10. Aug 6, 2011
    Yeah, it is a great looking game and it starts amazingly well, alone, in the forest, everything is new and dangerous, there is no sound except your footsteps... And I was hoping the game would stay like this, organic. I enjoyed surviving the sewers and the rooftops but the last segment in which physics are controlled by little arrows in boards, I just don't get it it felt like at that point, developers lost the imagination and creativity and decided to give you a last half-hour of saws and weird annoying gravity shifting gameplay. That pretty much killed the love I had for the first 2 hours (the game only lasted 2:30 hours) I hope that if they make a limbo 2 they would consider keeping it more natural, it helped me immersing into the game. It it just helps with the overall sense of real danger unlike diving head-first into a saw because now the roof is the floor :) Expand
  11. Jul 27, 2011
    An arthouse game if there ever was one, Limbo is an ethereal, dreamlike platformer. Composed entirely in in stark, high-contrast black-and-white, it's visually stunning. The Mario-style gameplay doesn't pull any punches either, running you through a gauntlet of intricate, thoughtful puzzles. Easily one of the most rewarding games I've ever played.
  12. Oct 5, 2011
    Beautiful and haunting. Short but... infinite. A game that lingers on in our minds and hearts. A MUST-HAVE on any collection and one of the best downloadable games of recent times.
  13. Jan 17, 2013
    Looked so innocent, I was wrong.While simple at a glance, Limbo goes so much further into its formula. Making you tense and nervous throughout. Solid and not silly what so ever.
  14. Nov 23, 2011
    Pure genius. This is the most impressive game I have played in years. I was blown away by how creative and varied the puzzles were. The only complaint I have is that I wish it were longer. It's a bit short, but for a downloadable game that is to be expected. This game represents what video games should be. After being let down by most modern games due to their mindless, button-mashing gameplay...this game gives me hope that someone out there is still interested in making a good game. I was more impressed with this downloadable game than the full-priced games you buy in the store. So much more thought was put into this game than most big-budget modern day games. Most games today try to distract you with big set pieces, explosions, and dialogue...meanwhile their gameplay is dull, mindless, and repetitive. Limbo is the opposite of that. Limbo follows in the tradition of legendary side-scrolling puzzlers like Oddworld, Flashback, and Out of This World. I recently downloaded the original Oddworld: Abe's Odysee from PSN and was blown away by that game....but after finishing Oddworld I was depressed because I though that in today's gaming landscape no one would ever have the balls to make another game like Oddworld. Well the makers of Limbo have proven me wrong. this game is masterfully DESIGNED....every aspect of the environment is carefully designed to force you to use your brain and figure out how to get from point A to point B...Most modern games are not designed thoughtfully - most modern game developers simply create environments that have no purpose but to look cool, then they throw you into the environment and expect you do nothing but mash buttons and shoot things...in most games you are never required to solve problems...but Limbo was designed with care and intent. Someone finally had the guts to make a game that requires you to think....someone finally took the time to design a game with purpose...that game is Limbo. Expand
  15. Mar 13, 2012
    I think I must be missing something.... For £6 off the PSN network, you can try and guide a small child through some difficult obstacles. Thats about it. It may be dark and attempt to be haunting but its really just a poor platform game - there are amateur programmers making better games than this on the net. A huge disapointment overall and extremely frustrating in parts, dont waste the cash... Expand
  16. Aug 7, 2011
    Turning the limitations of a small Indy game into a strength, Limbo is short but fun, has a memorable art style and is a must play downloadable game. The visuals of Limbo are simple and effectively create an eerie atmosphere better than most AAA video games. The game play is simple but adequately fun, the game physics are great and there are some memorable little game moments found in Limbo. Less can be more which is a lesson that the rest of the industry should learn. Recommended. Expand
  17. Aug 5, 2011
    Limbo was a really interesting game that for the most part kept me into the experience. The game length was fine, but I had no intention of wanting to play this again, Limbo is too overpriced for what it delivers.
  18. Aug 28, 2011
    Limbo is very intriguing from the start, The story is left to the imagination to determine. To some people this may be a bad thing, but I personally couldn't wait to delve deeper into this dark, and creepy world. The game is a trial and error puzzle/situation solver. There are plenty of gruesome ways our protagonist can die, and in fact you will do a lot of dying before total success can be achieved, for death awaits around every corner. The world is full of booby traps, and do or die puzzles, and even giant lurking spiders!

It's very easy to lose track of time while playing this game, the art style and perfect ambiance of sounds around you can easily lull you into a long session of survival. The black and white color scheme doesn't take away from the game at all, in fact I think it helps with the games dark personality.

The nameless character easily draws you into his world of desperation, and survival. At times you really feel the sense of fight or flight, whether you're running for your life from a giant spider, or you are deep within a pitch black tunnel or hallway.

Very few games are as unique as Limbo, and when people ask can games be art? I think we all can point a finger at Limbo and say absolutely! This game is captivating and very imaginative with a style all it's own. This is a must play for anybody who truly appreciates when a game brings a little bit of everything to the table. Play and enjoy, it's worth the price!
  19. Sep 28, 2011
    i simply love this game. beautifully designed. do yourself a favor and try it. this game is creative and different... try something creative and don't be fooled by the negative reviews. keep an open mind and you'll love it.
  20. Nov 6, 2011
    I played the demo on the 360 when it first came out so, naturally when I heard it was going to the PSN I had to get it. I thought this game was completely unique and interesting. The art style is obviously really neat and unique as well. However, that being said, this game got controller shattering hard towards the end. You can see what you have to do and the physics just do not want to let you do it! Talk about frustrating. Overall, I still enjoyed the game, I just am not sure if I would play it a second time around. Expand
  21. Jan 28, 2012
    So hard to evaluate. The art style was great and the controls were fine. I wasn't crazy about the stark lack of music, which I think contributed to my biggest problem with the game--it just felt empty, somehow. I'm sure they accomplished what they set out to do, but I just don't know how much I ever enjoyed myself.
  22. Dec 18, 2013
    A beautiful experience, from start to finish. The puzzles are ingenious, the ambient music will touch your soul, and the art direction is stunning. You will die... you will die a lot, but you will love every second of it. Limbo is a must-own title, and it ranks as one of the best games of the year. Short, but sweet.
  23. May 11, 2012
    Sure, the style is nice, it has some surprises and the physics and puzzles are combined well. But the game just didn't get me hooked due to the lack of story, the repetitive gameplay and environments.
  24. Sep 26, 2012
    Great concept. Although could be longer and have more diversity towards the end.
  25. Jul 10, 2013
    When the argument of video games as art comes up, this is one of the first games that comes to mind as an argument for. It's beautifully presented, evocative, emotional and stimulating. It creates atmosphere and characters through small, profoundly interactive gameplay elements that build to create an unparalleled sense of weight to everything you do, without relying on cluttering mechanics like points or a lives system. Limbo is not only an excellent and interesting puzzle game, it is a gorgeous artwork. Expand
  26. Jul 22, 2011
    It's a puzzle platformer representing videogame as art, ala Braid. And although I found Braid slightly more consistent and enjoyable, LIMBO is a fantastic game. The game's atmosphere is amazing. Its lack of a soundtrack, and film grained black and white imagery, creates an eerie depression I found quite unique, and the violent recurring deaths add to the bleak environment. The mechanics are very simple, but never feel simple, as the game forces you to discover how the world operates, and how to interact with it, completely on your own. I found the second half, of an albeit very short game, to be less interesting, as the game shifts from the genuine creepiness of the forest setting and into an industrial one where the platforming takes center stage. This is where LIMBO develops into a more typical video gaming experience. However, this is a minor concern, and I think the ending makes up for any momentum lost during this period of the game. If you're strictly a button masher, or feel that for $10 - 15 you should have more than a couple hours of gaming, you might want to shy away. But if you're an avid gamer who wants to experience something genuinely different in a game, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Expand
  27. Nov 22, 2011
    A true classic, an awesome art stlye and an experience that you will never forget! Sure, it gets repetitive and the game is quite short, but in the end, this is a true independent game that makes so much fun even if there are some trial and error sections.
  28. Feb 9, 2012
    Plain and simple, LIMBO is genius. It's funny, it's addicting, and it's actually pretty creepy. It has a horror feel to it which makes it all the more exciting. It isn't the longest game in the world but its definitely worth the price. Trust me, you will finish this in one sitting, so if you plan on playing this, make sure your schedule is free for the next hour or so because you won't be able to stop playing until you reach the ending. Excellent, perfect game, 10/10. Expand
  29. Jun 24, 2012
    Every now and again you come across a game that sets itself apart from other games like heavy rain.enter limbo a surprisingly delightful puzzle yet easy to play game! Its simple gameplay like run and jump are teamed up with some very clever puzzles puts players in a very engaging game! It just reels you in with simplicity which I thought was impossible to do in games. Now lets talk about the problems..no true story your just dropped in a forest without reason or explanation..gameplay..or lack there of is almost non-existant because you can only run and jump! Graphics...well its not even on par with other downloaded games! Its a very straight forward no reason as to what your doing type of game...so why did I give it a high score?well despite what it lacks vs all these big budget game is the fact that its addicting to..the puzzles are well thought out and the gameplay isn't hampered by useless items or weapons! Its a good game and should not be missed!! Expand
  30. Apr 20, 2013
    Limbo is without doubt, one of my favourite games of all time and I can promise you now, that I don't make that statement lightly. As a forty-year-old whose been playing video games since waaaay back in the late eighties, I've played very nearly every important title ever since. With utterly gorgeous art, great gameplay and a deliciously dark setting, Playdead's wonderful platform-puzzler is absolutely essential.

Despite having played Limbo on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, I'm still excited that it has finally been announced for PS Vita. Indeed, with the close proximity that handheld gaming offers, I can't help but feel that Sony's pocket rocket and Limbo were made for each other!
  31. Jun 11, 2014
    Lots of trial-and-error moments, simple interaction (move,jump,interact), abrupt ending. Just as it was introducing some interesting mechanics, the game ended. There's not much to spoil about it. It could have been a Flash-game if it had less polish. One of the few physics-puzzlers on PSN. The challenges were very varied, and it rarely reused a mechanic or puzzle. A few solutions surprised me and reminded me of some physics ideas. If it had provided more confrontation with the limbo inhabitants or constructors, it would have left a deeper impression. But it's impressive that a small team, and such a small conventional puzzle game, can leave so few complaints while looking like its minimalism was an active choice and an ideal. Expand
  32. May 19, 2013
    Beautifully designed game with very clever unique puzzles. Limbo is a game that looks great, sounds great, and plays great! This really shows you why video games really are a work of art.
  33. Aug 20, 2013
    LIMBO is simply the best game you can buy for $15 this generation bar none.

You play a boy who wakes up in the woods trying to escape. The puzzles are clever, it's short and ends before it gets repetitive. It's art direction is haunting. The music or lack thereof is creepy and Nolanesque.

I can't praise PlayDead enough.
  34. Jan 15, 2014
    Darkly atmospheric puzzle platformer. Amazing black &white visual/art design, challenging puzzles (but not in the annoying overcomplicated way) and haunting ambient/noise audio (mostly just sounds, but even music kicks in every once in a while). It's short and the absence of story leaves it up to you and your imagination to create one, but that makes it even more unique. 8/10
  35. Mar 26, 2014
    Some nice puzzles and mechanics but the world is pretty dull and lifeless and there isn't much incentive for me to keep playing after dying quite a lot, in other words the game is not very rewarding which is disappointing as they could of had some more incentive to keep playing like a good story the game would be great, but two thirds into the game there is literally no plot so far.
  36. May 13, 2014
    Nice and moody game with a lot of tense moments. I must add that I found the difficulty to be a bit too high at several sections. The atmosphere and sense of progression pulled me through and I really liked the mysterious ending :)

1. Sep 25, 2011
    There are no hints, no HUD, just lots of physics puzzles to be solved. [Nov 2011, p.93]
  2. Sep 16, 2011
    Oozing atmosphere and filled with deliriously evil puzzles, it's a beautifully crafted game that becomes impossible to put down. [Issue#209, p.98]
  3. A truly artistic and brilliant piece of design. [Oct 2011, p.112]