• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 6, 2012
7.0

1. Nov 10, 2013
    This is what you get when you take the charm and creative tools at the heart of the LittleBigPlanet series and put them into a kart racer. Fantastic and adorable graphics, an insane amount of creation tools, and plenty of modes both online and off. Truly this is a great kart racer. As always the insane amount user created content is a heck of a lot of fun to play with and can give you some great ideas for creations of your own. It's a great game but it does have some issues.

Long and frequent load times, an overly talkative narrator, and a lackluster soundtrack do bring the experience down a little. The biggest flaw the game has though is the now dead online multiplayer. I couldn't find a match online where most of the racers weren't bots. Still if you can get your friends together multiplayer can still be a blast. Like I said before these issues do bring down the experience, but they don't ruin it.

If you're looking for a charming kart racer that lets your imagination soar. You can spend countless hours with the creation tools and not even touch the story mode or multiplayer. Part of what makes this game so enjoyable is the charm of the LittleBigPlanet series. One of the most impressive parts of the game is that it doesn't feel like a spin-off from the series, but rather a full-fledged entry in the LBP series.
  2. Dec 18, 2013
    This game has the same problem as littlebigplanet: gameplay. The cars feel way too light so you never have the feeling you're really driving, there's no sense off speed or weight of any kind. Controlling the carts is too easy so the fun must come from the weapons. But the weapons are not fun like in games as Mario kart or Crash team racing and they're not satisfying to use either.
    So
    what's the use off all those customizing tools and downloadable user levels if the gameplay is this boring? Expand
  3. Nov 27, 2012
    Virtually unplayable. An overreliance of weapons means I'm either getting hit 4 times in a row or i'm using my own weapons defensively. No matter how much I played I never had any idea of which weapon did what because the only thing they're good for is shooting backwards to avoid being hit. I took the game out of the system to sell it after being hit at least six times in a row on one stretch of track, without being able to get to weapon so I could defend at least one of the hits. The karts handle well and the littlebigplanet atmosphere is great. But I think they skipped the focus groups on this one. Expand
  4. Nov 26, 2012
    LBP Karting enters the ever broadening arena of arcade racing games. The combined efforts of LBP developers Media Molecule and Modnation Racers creators United Front Games- is an ambitious game, which tries to push the create, play and share montra into a highly imaginative and fun racer for single player and multiplayer races alike. The end result is one that stuffs Sackboy into the tyre wall. The major problem is with the AI, they fling projectiles everywhere constantly, especially at the latter end of the story. The environment design of the story circuits are classic LBP. Everything from dreamy disco based races to Wipeout homage circuits, there are plenty of inspired levels on show here. Destruction based events are a nice novelty and juxtapose the slightly more friendlier racing approach, where the objective is to score as many points as possible until the time expires. The problem is the arenas are far too big for arena battles. Racing around to find a competitor to blast with your charged weapons feels pointless and boring at times. As with games of this nature, it's going to have a large and exponential multiplayer field. In this area LBP Karting doesn't disappoint, there are brilliant options for creating, though still difficult to create something exactly as you planned. Generally though, the low score is contributed to its quibbles and problems which crop up that detract from the enjoyment of the racing exerience. There are arcade racers such as Modnation and Blur which are still perfectly fun, whilst still being a genuine challenge. This racer tends to frustrate the player rather than rewarding them with exciting gameplay. A good choice for multiplayer, but alone it falls flat. Expand
  5. Dec 26, 2013
    Graphics: They actually look really amazing, and for the first time LBP is in 3D (game play wise). 10.

Sound: Great themes while racing, feels like a karting game. 10.

Gameplay: This is a karting game that can be compared to a Mario Kart game although there isn't’t much of a sense of speed in the karts. There are additional speed boosters while racing but the karts themselves
    don’t feel as great as they should. All in all it’s a great karting game on Sony’s platform, and the creation goes beyond imagination. Some of the user content is at its best with creative new ideas (like a time traveling level), and classic levels found in Mario Kart. The game’s story is short but at a perfect length for a Karting game, and it does a great job mixing things up (race, battle arena, boss fight, etc.). This game is great but it still does have its flaws. 8.

Story: Very simple, but uninteresting. 5.

Replay Value: There’s definitely a lot to do in this game, single player, multiplayer, co-op, battle challenges, it’s definitely a purchase if you know that’s the experience you want, a karting game. 10.

Overall Score: 8.6 out of 10.
  6. Apr 12, 2013
    Would be a decent game if the online-play with a friend would work without causing multiple freezing and booting issues. This was NOT worth $60 when i bought it day one which irks me to give this a 0, which is something i will rarely do.

The creator was just okay, many on here are over reacting to it. It's pretty generic after awhile as everyone's courses have started to look the same.
    And the story is bland and boring. Expand
  7. Feb 3, 2014
    If you can get this for free in Playstation Plus, sure, give it a whirl with a friend. But don't pay for it, since it's not as good as either of the actual LBP games, and it's a fairly dull karting game in its own right.
  8. Dec 26, 2012
    LBP Karting is ambitious, to say the least . Including full-3D levels, clever reworkings of Mario Kart features such as power-ups, of course with the now customary level creation mode taking on the dizzying aspects of Kart Racing, LBPK is a damn decent effort. Of course it isn't without issues. AI can be frustrating, as can an unstoppable second rocket in a row up the backside. On four deprecate occasions whilst in level creator, the game froze forcing a restart which lost much of my data. Perhaps these issues can be patched? I eagerly await the LBP2 import feature, and believe Karting has a just-bright-enough future. Expand
  9. Nov 6, 2012
    I was really skeptical about this game at first. I didn't think that it would have the look and feel of an authentic LBP game. Boy was I wrong. The narration, music, and style is all authentic LBP. Once I played the beta that this game would deliver and it did.
  10. Nov 25, 2012
    This is a great karting game... So this is Sony's attempt to make a karting game like mario kart or any other karting game. I say they did a good job on it with great campaign, awesome soundtrack every soundtrack for every karting race I play is always great with a wonderful tune. I played this with my two friends and they thought this game was great fun and I did too with customizing your kart and your sackboy. This game is great go play this with your friends and you'll have a good time with playing this game. Expand
  11. Dec 26, 2013
    Seamed to have a lot of potential, however it turned out to be worse than Modnation Racers. it got boring rather quickly. Maybe if I didn't have a backlog of games to play i would have given it more of a chance but I doubt it would have changed my mind.
  12. Apr 18, 2014
    Never played any of the Little Big Planet stuff, nor would I ever buy a kiddie karting game like this, but since it was released on PS plus I gave it a try and had loads of fun with it. It's funny how these crazy little karting games are usually so much more entertaining than a serious racing material. Don't expect a masterpiece here, but for purely fun purposes this is very good, the gameplay feels fluid, the music and songs are really cool, so when Devo's "Fresh!" starts to rock out and you're drifting the corners of some crazy turtle beach or whatever with your handmade customized sackboy and shooting rockets at your friends, you know you're having a good time. 7/10 Expand
  13. Nov 6, 2012
    Take two great PS3 titles, LittleBigPlanet and Modnation Racers, and put them together. What do you get? One amazing game. The customization is just as good as the previous games. You could spend hours making your dream kart. The story and community races are fun, but sometimes the AI can be pretty annoying. Creating levels are fun... when you figure out how to use the hundreds of objects and tools. The multiplayer is also very enjoyable for the most part. Overall the game may have a flaw or two here and there, but if you like wacky racers or you are a fan of LBP, this is a pretty hard title to overlook. Expand
  14. Jan 26, 2013
    I try not to compare games and prices when reviewing a game, but in this case it seems like the perfect thing to do since this game is just like Modnation. I picked this up for $10 because of PS+ but I'm not going to score this game on price, since the price can change. But it definitely is worth $10. But I am going to score this game based off of Modnation Racers.

This game is just
    like Modnation with a couple of exceptions. Both exceptions you can check out yourself in the demo because it's really hard to explain what they are. But the first one is using your weapons as a shield. I liked the way Modnation did the shield, I do not like having to use my weapons to shied myself every time. I don't want to get into depth on that because it's hard to explain, but if you've played Modnation then play LBPkarting demo and see what I mean, and the second thing is customizing your Kart/sackperson. I liked Modnation better because you could zoom right in and put tiny detail on your Kart and Character, you can't do that in LBP Karting. oh yeah and a third thing is you can't build the level of your weapons like Modnation. I like the way they did it in Modnation better because it caused for more strategy..... "do you use your level 1 rocket? or build it to level 3?" You don't get to make those type of strategic decisions in LBPK.

The create a track is where the games really separate from each other. The tools and creating the tracks in LBPK is like Modnation except it is way more in depth with MUCH MORE VARIETY. I really like the music in the game, and the story is fine... nothing special.

I probably would have given this game a 9 out of 10 if Modnation never existed, but since Modnation came out 2 1/2 years before this game.... This game should have been a huge improvement on Modnation and any other Kart Racers. But all they did was give Modnation a Little big Planet Environment and call it LBPK. For anyone who still plays Modnation, I encourage you to just keep playing Modnation and don't bother getting this game.
    For anyone who has never played Modnation, I encourage you to buy this game instead
    For anyone who has played Modnation and are looking to re-buy it, I encourage you to try this game out first.

Like I stated above, I try not to ever compare games when reviewing, but LBPK is just so much like Modnation it's hard not to...... not to mention the people who made Modnation worked on LBPK too.
  15. Mar 11, 2013
    I don't want to hate, but this game is terrible, as a normal stand alone game, sure it's good, but for being a LBP fan since release date, I just can't accept this game as a LBP game. My first problem is the fact that the character creation is terrible, and so is Kart creation, you can't go into create mod with friends, the story mode is terrible, the story characters are also terrible, the tutorials are videos, whiles in LBP2 you could actually move around in the tutorials. Really the only thing that redeems this game is it's slightly fun gameplay, and it's brilliant create mode, but, other than that, I honestly can't give this game any love. Expand
  16. Nov 14, 2012
    Great game. The creation portion of it is fantastic, like all other LBP's. You have tutorials teaching you how to do every little thing, and can create anything your mind can come up with. The story is a good amount of fun, especially with friends or family. The karts handle well and you can also customize them. One of the best racing games I've ever played!
  17. Dec 13, 2012
    I expected this to be just ok, but now that I've got my hands on it, I'm really very impressed! As an LBP fan, I really appreciate all their attention to detail, the revitalization of prior LBP motifs, and how versatile they made the editor. The game seems more fun than the beta had been. And the brilliant player made levels already popping up are a good sign that the community is already getting revved up! Expand
  18. Nov 12, 2012
    Basically, this game is Mod Nation Racers with a few twists and some disappointing omissions. The editor is noticeably easier to use. The biggest advantage over Mod Nation, though, is the load times. You won't be sitting around for two minutes waiting for a track to load anymore. This improvement alone makes the game worth it if you liked Mod Nation but got burnt out on waiting (like me).
  19. Dec 22, 2012
    As a big LBP fan, I couldnt wait to get my hands on this. Sackboy in an exciting all new 3D world! Insanely powerful editor ready to create amazing levels to enjoy and show the world... Well, that didnt quite happen. The reality is, this is a pretty average karting game and what should have been its crown jewel (the editor) is a clunky affair. The game itself is decent fun, but never amazes, partly thanks to the physics and partly thanks to the unbalanced weapons. As for the editor - fans of LBP will find this version much slower and lazy at times - simple things like connecting wires/logic can take 10-15 secs (rather than 1 in LBP), even more if the object is on something hidden behind something else. Basically, if your looking for an amazing kart game, this isnt it. If your looking for something with a powerful editor, this falls short too (If your willing to put in a lot of time, you can end up with something special, but its nowhere near as polished as the editor in LBP). Expand
  20. Aug 2, 2013
    This game is such a disappointment, and the online play so broken it's not even funny.

The story levels themselves are good, but it's irritating when you have to go back to the pod to select each new level instead of being able to 'continue'. United Front either removed or didn't add an in game stats tracker (Pin Progress in other LBPs) so you have no idea how many wins/levels/create
    time/etc you've accumulated. I also thing this lack of counter is why so many of the online trophies (25 levels, 25 wins etc) are glitched.

The online play is ridiculously broken and the servers are unstable as all hell. I can't even host with friends because the connection is lost as we are going into a game EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. There are numerous disconnections, errors and freezes (both game only where you can quit from XMB and complete system freeze which requires restart). There's also numerous glitches in the placing system, whereby the system will tell you that you finished in this place but you're actually in a different one, and in vs games I often finish 42st. I've also experienced glitches in the notification system (such and such has left the playgroup every time we go into a game) and people driving in the floor or walls or on top of structures.

It's also a pain to play online because, like story mode, after every time you finish a level, it takes you all the way back to the pod and you have to go back into wherever you were queue, highest rated levels etc. Practice free roam at the beginning of every community level that you play online is also insanely frustrating and irritating.

They've also taken a lot of fun out of the game in that you can't move around your own or anyone else's pods, and you can't place stickers or decorations in your friends pods on on their person.

From the outside this LOOKS like a LittleBigPlanet game, but it doesn't play like one. United Front took a great series and warped and mutilated it to the point that it barely resembles what we've all come to love and expect from LittleBigPlanet.

This is a pretty awful game, and as soon as I've finished the trophy progress (which may never happen because of how glitched the whole thing is) I'm getting rid of it.
  21. Apr 7, 2013
    Sony, you are committing suicide, making LBP, a great game with a fine story, and a 100% creative mode, made a KARTING GAME, Banjo Tooie to Nuts and Bolts anyone?
  22. Dec 10, 2012
    The game is developed by United Front Games (creators of ModNation Racers) and MediaMolecule (creators of LittleBigPlanet).
    With that being said, I'm personally very disappointed in this game. I was expecting it to be a WOW factor having a good ModNation feel and a good LittleBigPlanet feel, however it falls short in each. The driving is very similar to that in ModNation Racers, but falls
    short in execution. The game is fun for a while but unlike past LittleBigPlanet games and ModNation racers, it loses it's appeal way too fast. Overall it's an okay game that's fun, but doesn't have that lasting appeal that the other LittleBigPlanet games and ModNation Racers had. Expand
  23. Jun 22, 2013
    the game is boring there are not alot of things to do, in the begining the game is good but then its become boring
    the trophys are stupid and anoying. you mustnt buy this game and me neither. i got it from ps plus.... LOL
  24. Nov 8, 2012
    When I heard the creators LittleBigPlanet and ModNationRacer were teaming together to make a kart racer, I was hyped. My expectation instantly skyrocketed to the sky! Sad thing, however, is that these expectation weren't met. Don't get me wrong, LittleBigPlanet Karting is a good game, but if you buy this game thinking it's gonna be an upgrade from the ModNationRacer engine, like I was thinking, you're gonna be very disappointed.
    The racing engine is simple. You get all your classic racing game accelerate/break/turn command. you can drift for better turns, go on rocket panel to get a brief boost of speed and collect item to send them to your opponent or protect yourself from the one they send to you. It's basic, too basic. There not enough variety in the weapon you can collect and, while the tracks are well decorated, they feel kind of empty. There's an occasional boost panel and weapons, that's it. After a while, it becomes boring. The problem with the depth of the racing engine in LittleBigPlanet Karting is that it's not even comparable to the one in ModNationRacer. There you had a nitro bar that you could build up by making drift or attacking your competitors and then use it for a shield or a speed boost. They also had several levels of items, which mean if you collected more you had better items, with a risk of losing it all if you get blasted. All in all, these little feature added a layer of strategy that is very rare to see in a racing game. LittleBigplanet Karting on the other hand decided to remove the nitro bar and leave the boost panel the job of speed boost and the job of the shield to items. Also, items don't level-up or stack, which eliminate a lot of options or choices a limit the strategy factor. You could say that they took a simpler approach to the engine, but to anyone who played ModNationRacer, this is a clear downgrade.
    There is however a redeeming factor: customization. You can build your racing tracks, customize your karts behaviors and looks, dress-up your sackboy. But this is not something new, ModNaitonRacer also had a deep customization system. Both has their shortcoming and strength. My final comment is: Not a bad game at all, but it could be better. ModNationRacer Fanboys, stay away from this game. For others, rent it first, it might save you some dollars.
  25. Nov 23, 2012
    best karting game on the PS3, similar to Modnation racers without the awful loading times. the game comes with 71 courses and has thousands more online, as customizable as LBP and as fun as Modnation racers. personaly i dont understand why its got a low score from all the critics, i mean even F1 karting score is only just lower than LBP Karting and even though awful it only has a hand full of track with codemasters charging for extra as DLC, if you want a fun karting game then LBP Karting is the choice to make. Expand
  26. Nov 24, 2012
    This could be game of the year... for biggest missed opportunity.

First off, in and of itself this is not a terrible game however things are what they are and there is a better, more balanced game, which came before. That is: Mod Nation Racers, which as a result significantly lowers the score of this unworthy "sequel". The racing is completely unbalanced. You may have heard it before
    but indeed, weapons are too powerful and that combined to extremely aggressive A.I., this "easy go lucky" kart game becomes a significantly aggravating experience. The editor itself is decent but that's if you manage to figure it out... quite a hefty task at hand indeed. Another huge missed opportunity would be this; with such ridiculously powerful weapons the editor should allow for building weapons and not only tracks! Lastly, how is it that no matter the vehicle parts or type you use THEY ALL DRIVE THE SAME???

Lastly, but very importantly, anyone that looked E3 2012 commercials for this game and owns a 3D TV was completely let down by Sony; THEY DROPPED THE PROMISED 3D SUPPORT! I am sure plenty of people couldn't care less, however for anyone, such as me, that purchased a PS3 system to get more use out of his 3DTV well Sony are outright LIARS! Anyone that doesn't give a damn about 3D, well, good for you.

Overall this game should've been delayed as it REALLY needed more polish to both the karting, track editor and features.

CLOSING THOUGHTS: SHAME ON YOU SONY!
  27. Nov 7, 2012
    I am going to judge the game by what it is, not what it is not.

The game feels so fresh and infinite with creativity. The customization is only limited to the content you can work with. The create mode may seem tricky at first, but the controls actually work out very well once learned to create masterpiece tracks or minigames. I remember someone making a platformer back in the beta,
    and there is even a FPS game on it. Even if you're not the biggest fan of karting, the create mode has the tools to make it comparable to LittleBigPlanet 3D.

The music is nicely chosen and fits will with the game. I'm glad to see a couple musicians from the previous games back such as Matt Clark. Not only that, but the narration by Stephen Fry has an inventive tone that is so crisply voiced that just buying the game to hear Stephen Fry might even be worth it. You get your bang for the buck with this game. Ignore the critical reviews against it; this LittleBigPlanet game is just as good as any other.
  28. Nov 6, 2012
    This game is a must have for anyone who enjoys either of the littlebigplanets, once the creators get a hold of the new system, there wont be another kart racer that can beat it.
  29. Nov 6, 2012
    this game is crazy. the editor is amazing- way more involved than mod nation racers or little big planet. you can build everything. everything that you can imagine! spaceships flown by dinosaurs! toasters that shoot popsicles! flying games! racing games! top-down games! whatever you want!
  30. Nov 6, 2012
    As you can see, the majority of reviewers say this is a solid game; it is too! Here is a list of my improvements over MNR. Then I will follow it up with a list of "needs improvement/patch." Improvements: 1. It has a true theme (LBP Universe). 2. Shorter Load Times 3. Weapon Variety 4. Event Variety (Races/Death Match/Egg Capture) 5. Amazing Track Theme Variety (Played a course that looked like Tron)!

Needs Improving/Patch:
    1. Online XP or Level Ranking-I can't believe there is nothing online that distinguishes a player's ability or skill. Please add something!
  31. Nov 8, 2012

1. Jan 25, 2013
    LittleBigPlanet Karting includes a toolset which players can use to build visually and mechanically imaginative creations; which I suppose is the most important thing to nail when creating a LittleBigPlanet game. United Front has done that swimmingly.
  2. Jan 24, 2013
    Clunky, unpolished and altogether flimsy. [Feb 2013, p.73]
  3. Jan 6, 2013
    Worth checking out, especially if you're interested not only in racing with your kid on split screen, but also in tackling the powerful but not very friendly editor. [1/2013, p.65]