• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 6, 2012
7.0

1. Nov 27, 2012
    Virtually unplayable. An overreliance of weapons means I'm either getting hit 4 times in a row or i'm using my own weapons defensively. No matter how much I played I never had any idea of which weapon did what because the only thing they're good for is shooting backwards to avoid being hit. I took the game out of the system to sell it after being hit at least six times in a row on one stretch of track, without being able to get to weapon so I could defend at least one of the hits. The karts handle well and the littlebigplanet atmosphere is great. But I think they skipped the focus groups on this one. Expand
  2. Dec 18, 2013
    This game has the same problem as littlebigplanet: gameplay. The cars feel way too light so you never have the feeling you're really driving, there's no sense off speed or weight of any kind. Controlling the carts is too easy so the fun must come from the weapons. But the weapons are not fun like in games as Mario kart or Crash team racing and they're not satisfying to use either.
    So
    what's the use off all those customizing tools and downloadable user levels if the gameplay is this boring? Expand
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    This game is such a disappointment, and the online play so broken it's not even funny.

The story levels themselves are good, but it's irritating when you have to go back to the pod to select each new level instead of being able to 'continue'. United Front either removed or didn't add an in game stats tracker (Pin Progress in other LBPs) so you have no idea how many wins/levels/create
    time/etc you've accumulated. I also thing this lack of counter is why so many of the online trophies (25 levels, 25 wins etc) are glitched.

The online play is ridiculously broken and the servers are unstable as all hell. I can't even host with friends because the connection is lost as we are going into a game EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. There are numerous disconnections, errors and freezes (both game only where you can quit from XMB and complete system freeze which requires restart). There's also numerous glitches in the placing system, whereby the system will tell you that you finished in this place but you're actually in a different one, and in vs games I often finish 42st. I've also experienced glitches in the notification system (such and such has left the playgroup every time we go into a game) and people driving in the floor or walls or on top of structures.

It's also a pain to play online because, like story mode, after every time you finish a level, it takes you all the way back to the pod and you have to go back into wherever you were queue, highest rated levels etc. Practice free roam at the beginning of every community level that you play online is also insanely frustrating and irritating.

They've also taken a lot of fun out of the game in that you can't move around your own or anyone else's pods, and you can't place stickers or decorations in your friends pods on on their person.

From the outside this LOOKS like a LittleBigPlanet game, but it doesn't play like one. United Front took a great series and warped and mutilated it to the point that it barely resembles what we've all come to love and expect from LittleBigPlanet.

This is a pretty awful game, and as soon as I've finished the trophy progress (which may never happen because of how glitched the whole thing is) I'm getting rid of it.
  4. Nov 24, 2012
    This could be game of the year... for biggest missed opportunity.

First off, in and of itself this is not a terrible game however things are what they are and there is a better, more balanced game, which came before. That is: Mod Nation Racers, which as a result significantly lowers the score of this unworthy "sequel". The racing is completely unbalanced. You may have heard it before
    but indeed, weapons are too powerful and that combined to extremely aggressive A.I., this "easy go lucky" kart game becomes a significantly aggravating experience. The editor itself is decent but that's if you manage to figure it out... quite a hefty task at hand indeed. Another huge missed opportunity would be this; with such ridiculously powerful weapons the editor should allow for building weapons and not only tracks! Lastly, how is it that no matter the vehicle parts or type you use THEY ALL DRIVE THE SAME???

Lastly, but very importantly, anyone that looked E3 2012 commercials for this game and owns a 3D TV was completely let down by Sony; THEY DROPPED THE PROMISED 3D SUPPORT! I am sure plenty of people couldn't care less, however for anyone, such as me, that purchased a PS3 system to get more use out of his 3DTV well Sony are outright LIARS! Anyone that doesn't give a damn about 3D, well, good for you.

Overall this game should've been delayed as it REALLY needed more polish to both the karting, track editor and features.

CLOSING THOUGHTS: SHAME ON YOU SONY!
  5. Apr 12, 2013
    Would be a decent game if the online-play with a friend would work without causing multiple freezing and booting issues. This was NOT worth $60 when i bought it day one which irks me to give this a 0, which is something i will rarely do.

The creator was just okay, many on here are over reacting to it. It's pretty generic after awhile as everyone's courses have started to look the same.
    And the story is bland and boring. Expand
  6. Apr 7, 2013
    Sony, you are committing suicide, making LBP, a great game with a fine story, and a 100% creative mode, made a KARTING GAME, Banjo Tooie to Nuts and Bolts anyone?
  7. May 21, 2013
    All my opinion. Just.. my crazy little opinion. But....Look, I know LBP story characters quite a lot, these guys, they weren't LBP story characters. It was like they were by completely different people? I don't know, and the story, my god the story, it made no sense, there was no connection, there was no good explanations or anything, I just didn't like it.And I wanted to like it, I really really did, I even faked a smile for my brother who was sitting there telling me "I told you so", but really it wasn't what I expected. And the power ups and gameplay, we know there's quite a lot of problems there already. And actually, I didn't like the create mode, I know no one will agree with me on that but I just didn't. I didn't like half the community levels, they're all the same simply because, the create mode is irritating to any new players and slow, so very very slow. I mean, I was surprised to see so many people like the create mode in these reviews because to me it was UNBEARABLE.It actually reminded me a lot of the PSP create mode.Except.. the controls were jumbled and confusing and I... just didn't like the game.Like all reviews though, this is just one opinion, and i'm sticking with it, just like I'm sticking with LBP2/LBP vita's 2 directional levels. Good thing I rented it first, geesh. Expand
  8. Aug 30, 2014
    MarioKart 64 if the tracks were really confusing and squished together, and if everything was a blue turtle shell. There is absolutely no balance to this game and ultimately it is a poor and un-fun kart racer.

1. Jan 25, 2013
    LittleBigPlanet Karting includes a toolset which players can use to build visually and mechanically imaginative creations; which I suppose is the most important thing to nail when creating a LittleBigPlanet game. United Front has done that swimmingly.
  2. Jan 24, 2013
    Clunky, unpolished and altogether flimsy. [Feb 2013, p.73]
  3. Jan 6, 2013
    Worth checking out, especially if you're interested not only in racing with your kid on split screen, but also in tackling the powerful but not very friendly editor. [1/2013, p.65]