• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 6, 2012
6.9

1. Jan 26, 2013
    I try not to compare games and prices when reviewing a game, but in this case it seems like the perfect thing to do since this game is just like Modnation. I picked this up for $10 because of PS+ but I'm not going to score this game on price, since the price can change. But it definitely is worth $10. But I am going to score this game based off of Modnation Racers.

This game is just

This game is just like Modnation with a couple of exceptions. Both exceptions you can check out yourself in the demo because it's really hard to explain what they are. But the first one is using your weapons as a shield. I liked the way Modnation did the shield, I do not like having to use my weapons to shied myself every time. I don't want to get into depth on that because it's hard to explain, but if you've played Modnation then play LBPkarting demo and see what I mean, and the second thing is customizing your Kart/sackperson. I liked Modnation better because you could zoom right in and put tiny detail on your Kart and Character, you can't do that in LBP Karting. oh yeah and a third thing is you can't build the level of your weapons like Modnation. I like the way they did it in Modnation better because it caused for more strategy..... "do you use your level 1 rocket? or build it to level 3?" You don't get to make those type of strategic decisions in LBPK.

The create a track is where the games really separate from each other. The tools and creating the tracks in LBPK is like Modnation except it is way more in depth with MUCH MORE VARIETY. I really like the music in the game, and the story is fine... nothing special.

I probably would have given this game a 9 out of 10 if Modnation never existed, but since Modnation came out 2 1/2 years before this game.... This game should have been a huge improvement on Modnation and any other Kart Racers. But all they did was give Modnation a Little big Planet Environment and call it LBPK. For anyone who still plays Modnation, I encourage you to just keep playing Modnation and don't bother getting this game.
    For anyone who has never played Modnation, I encourage you to buy this game instead
    For anyone who has played Modnation and are looking to re-buy it, I encourage you to try this game out first.

Like I stated above, I try not to ever compare games when reviewing, but LBPK is just so much like Modnation it's hard not to...... not to mention the people who made Modnation worked on LBPK too.
  2. Nov 8, 2012
    When I heard the creators LittleBigPlanet and ModNationRacer were teaming together to make a kart racer, I was hyped. My expectation instantly skyrocketed to the sky! Sad thing, however, is that these expectation weren't met. Don't get me wrong, LittleBigPlanet Karting is a good game, but if you buy this game thinking it's gonna be an upgrade from the ModNationRacer engine, like I wasWhen I heard the creators LittleBigPlanet and ModNationRacer were teaming together to make a kart racer, I was hyped. My expectation instantly skyrocketed to the sky! Sad thing, however, is that these expectation weren't met. Don't get me wrong, LittleBigPlanet Karting is a good game, but if you buy this game thinking it's gonna be an upgrade from the ModNationRacer engine, like I was thinking, you're gonna be very disappointed.
    The racing engine is simple. You get all your classic racing game accelerate/break/turn command. you can drift for better turns, go on rocket panel to get a brief boost of speed and collect item to send them to your opponent or protect yourself from the one they send to you. It's basic, too basic. There not enough variety in the weapon you can collect and, while the tracks are well decorated, they feel kind of empty. There's an occasional boost panel and weapons, that's it. After a while, it becomes boring. The problem with the depth of the racing engine in LittleBigPlanet Karting is that it's not even comparable to the one in ModNationRacer. There you had a nitro bar that you could build up by making drift or attacking your competitors and then use it for a shield or a speed boost. They also had several levels of items, which mean if you collected more you had better items, with a risk of losing it all if you get blasted. All in all, these little feature added a layer of strategy that is very rare to see in a racing game. LittleBigplanet Karting on the other hand decided to remove the nitro bar and leave the boost panel the job of speed boost and the job of the shield to items. Also, items don't level-up or stack, which eliminate a lot of options or choices a limit the strategy factor. You could say that they took a simpler approach to the engine, but to anyone who played ModNationRacer, this is a clear downgrade.
    There is however a redeeming factor: customization. You can build your racing tracks, customize your karts behaviors and looks, dress-up your sackboy. But this is not something new, ModNaitonRacer also had a deep customization system. Both has their shortcoming and strength. My final comment is: Not a bad game at all, but it could be better. ModNationRacer Fanboys, stay away from this game. For others, rent it first, it might save you some dollars.
  3. Dec 22, 2012
    As a big LBP fan, I couldnt wait to get my hands on this. Sackboy in an exciting all new 3D world! Insanely powerful editor ready to create amazing levels to enjoy and show the world... Well, that didnt quite happen. The reality is, this is a pretty average karting game and what should have been its crown jewel (the editor) is a clunky affair. The game itself is decent fun, but neverAs a big LBP fan, I couldnt wait to get my hands on this. Sackboy in an exciting all new 3D world! Insanely powerful editor ready to create amazing levels to enjoy and show the world... Well, that didnt quite happen. The reality is, this is a pretty average karting game and what should have been its crown jewel (the editor) is a clunky affair. The game itself is decent fun, but never amazes, partly thanks to the physics and partly thanks to the unbalanced weapons. As for the editor - fans of LBP will find this version much slower and lazy at times - simple things like connecting wires/logic can take 10-15 secs (rather than 1 in LBP), even more if the object is on something hidden behind something else. Basically, if your looking for an amazing kart game, this isnt it. If your looking for something with a powerful editor, this falls short too (If your willing to put in a lot of time, you can end up with something special, but its nowhere near as polished as the editor in LBP). Expand
  4. Dec 10, 2012
    The game is developed by United Front Games (creators of ModNation Racers) and MediaMolecule (creators of LittleBigPlanet).
    With that being said, I'm personally very disappointed in this game. I was expecting it to be a WOW factor having a good ModNation feel and a good LittleBigPlanet feel, however it falls short in each. The driving is very similar to that in ModNation Racers, but falls short in execution. The game is fun for a while but unlike past LittleBigPlanet games and ModNation racers, it loses it's appeal way too fast. Overall it's an okay game that's fun, but doesn't have that lasting appeal that the other LittleBigPlanet games and ModNation Racers had.
  5. Nov 26, 2012
    LBP Karting enters the ever broadening arena of arcade racing games. The combined efforts of LBP developers Media Molecule and Modnation Racers creators United Front Games- is an ambitious game, which tries to push the create, play and share montra into a highly imaginative and fun racer for single player and multiplayer races alike. The end result is one that stuffs Sackboy into the tyreLBP Karting enters the ever broadening arena of arcade racing games. The combined efforts of LBP developers Media Molecule and Modnation Racers creators United Front Games- is an ambitious game, which tries to push the create, play and share montra into a highly imaginative and fun racer for single player and multiplayer races alike. The end result is one that stuffs Sackboy into the tyre wall. The major problem is with the AI, they fling projectiles everywhere constantly, especially at the latter end of the story. The environment design of the story circuits are classic LBP. Everything from dreamy disco based races to Wipeout homage circuits, there are plenty of inspired levels on show here. Destruction based events are a nice novelty and juxtapose the slightly more friendlier racing approach, where the objective is to score as many points as possible until the time expires. The problem is the arenas are far too big for arena battles. Racing around to find a competitor to blast with your charged weapons feels pointless and boring at times. As with games of this nature, it's going to have a large and exponential multiplayer field. In this area LBP Karting doesn't disappoint, there are brilliant options for creating, though still difficult to create something exactly as you planned. Generally though, the low score is contributed to its quibbles and problems which crop up that detract from the enjoyment of the racing exerience. There are arcade racers such as Modnation and Blur which are still perfectly fun, whilst still being a genuine challenge. This racer tends to frustrate the player rather than rewarding them with exciting gameplay. A good choice for multiplayer, but alone it falls flat. Expand
  6. Feb 3, 2014
    If you can get this for free in Playstation Plus, sure, give it a whirl with a friend. But don't pay for it, since it's not as good as either of the actual LBP games, and it's a fairly dull karting game in its own right.
  7. Dec 25, 2012
    This game is too simple at history. Not enough opportunity for customization. I prefer the 2. The story is really not enough search and the multiplayer is ...
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    Seamed to have a lot of potential, however it turned out to be worse than Modnation Racers. it got boring rather quickly. Maybe if I didn't have a backlog of games to play i would have given it more of a chance but I doubt it would have changed my mind.
  9. Mar 11, 2013
    I don't want to hate, but this game is terrible, as a normal stand alone game, sure it's good, but for being a LBP fan since release date, I just can't accept this game as a LBP game. My first problem is the fact that the character creation is terrible, and so is Kart creation, you can't go into create mod with friends, the story mode is terrible, the story characters are also terrible,I don't want to hate, but this game is terrible, as a normal stand alone game, sure it's good, but for being a LBP fan since release date, I just can't accept this game as a LBP game. My first problem is the fact that the character creation is terrible, and so is Kart creation, you can't go into create mod with friends, the story mode is terrible, the story characters are also terrible, the tutorials are videos, whiles in LBP2 you could actually move around in the tutorials. Really the only thing that redeems this game is it's slightly fun gameplay, and it's brilliant create mode, but, other than that, I honestly can't give this game any love. Expand
  10. Jun 22, 2013
    the game is boring there are not alot of things to do, in the begining the game is good but then its become boring
    the trophys are stupid and anoying. you mustnt buy this game and me neither. i got it from ps plus.... LOL
  11. Nov 7, 2014
    LittleBigPlanet Karting is not a bad title, far from it, but doesn't come recommended as there are far better kart racers both on the PS3 and on the market as a whole to choose from. If the whole creation aspect is what draws you in, it's already been done better - it's called ModNation Racers and it too is on the PS3. Unfortunately, in a market oversaturated with kart racers, there'sLittleBigPlanet Karting is not a bad title, far from it, but doesn't come recommended as there are far better kart racers both on the PS3 and on the market as a whole to choose from. If the whole creation aspect is what draws you in, it's already been done better - it's called ModNation Racers and it too is on the PS3. Unfortunately, in a market oversaturated with kart racers, there's simply no room for 'decent' ones - be great or go home - and LittleBigPlanet Karting is going home. Expand
  12. Apr 18, 2014
    Never played any of the Little Big Planet stuff, nor would I ever buy a kiddie karting game like this, but since it was released on PS plus I gave it a try and had loads of fun with it. It's funny how these crazy little karting games are usually so much more entertaining than a serious racing material. Don't expect a masterpiece here, but for purely fun purposes this is very good, theNever played any of the Little Big Planet stuff, nor would I ever buy a kiddie karting game like this, but since it was released on PS plus I gave it a try and had loads of fun with it. It's funny how these crazy little karting games are usually so much more entertaining than a serious racing material. Don't expect a masterpiece here, but for purely fun purposes this is very good, the gameplay feels fluid, the music and songs are really cool, so when Devo's "Fresh!" starts to rock out and you're drifting the corners of some crazy turtle beach or whatever with your handmade customized sackboy and shooting rockets at your friends, you know you're having a good time. 7/10 Expand
  13. May 18, 2015
  14. Nov 23, 2012
    best karting game on the PS3, similar to Modnation racers without the awful loading times. the game comes with 71 courses and has thousands more online, as customizable as LBP and as fun as Modnation racers. personaly i dont understand why its got a low score from all the critics, i mean even F1 karting score is only just lower than LBP Karting and even though awful it only has a hand fullbest karting game on the PS3, similar to Modnation racers without the awful loading times. the game comes with 71 courses and has thousands more online, as customizable as LBP and as fun as Modnation racers. personaly i dont understand why its got a low score from all the critics, i mean even F1 karting score is only just lower than LBP Karting and even though awful it only has a hand full of track with codemasters charging for extra as DLC, if you want a fun karting game then LBP Karting is the choice to make. Collapse

1. Jan 25, 2013
    LittleBigPlanet Karting includes a toolset which players can use to build visually and mechanically imaginative creations; which I suppose is the most important thing to nail when creating a LittleBigPlanet game. United Front has done that swimmingly.
  2. Jan 24, 2013
    Clunky, unpolished and altogether flimsy. [Feb 2013, p.73]
  3. Jan 6, 2013
    Worth checking out, especially if you're interested not only in racing with your kid on split screen, but also in tackling the powerful but not very friendly editor. [1/2013, p.65]