• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 27, 2008
6.7

1. Feb 3, 2014
    LittleBigPlanet is a ‘platformer’ type game with a lot of community interaction and community generated game-play branching from the main game.

The game’s platforms, even the newer ones and community ones, quickly became boring and repetitive. Controls for some actions/movements were difficult to execute and were not smooth. Graphics were average. The game seemed to cater to gamers in the age range of 5 years to 12 years old. However, there are many adults that enjoy this game - but not me!
  2. Oct 2, 2010
    This is a dream come true to the fans of the platformer genre, to the rest of us it's a very innovative and enjoyable experience but nothing out of this world. What keeps it fresh is the level of creative freedom you receive.
  3. Apr 23, 2013
    This game is hit and miss. The level creator is one of the largest emphasis of the game. To create levels for others. It is poorly designed and lacks good, concise tutorials. The story is pretty standard but it does show some of the great possibilities out of littlebigplanet.

Littlebigplanet relies on imagination to keep this game going. It is one of the unique games out there that are hard to rank. The story is most welcome showing some decent sideways platforming. The plot is very weak, but you wouldn't expect too much from this game.

Playing online is poor, long loading times, poor connectivity and a lot of lag. However, it is very fun to play online with all the nice levels out there.

One of the major drawbacks of this game is bad levels pop up on the cool levels all too frequent and good levels are often overlooked. The poor interface has crippled this games potential.

This game is very fun to play, but this is a review. As a game, it lacks polish but it is a massive game.
    Play one of the unique games out there on the market.

4. Nov 3, 2013
    this game is fun
    but is nothing new
    nothing deep and i think
    is a little overated
    what can i say, this game was not for me
    its not the game, i think its me
  5. Oct 30, 2011
    Art direction, imagination, originality.. all over. It sucks to say it, but the controls are so BAD that it becomes nothing more than frustration that simply isn't worth continuing to put up with, no matter how cool the game is.
  6. Nov 10, 2013
    I recognize that LBP is probably the most original game of this console's generation, and a good one too, i mean i see the (high) reviews that it has and i understand them. This is the game that i most desperately want to like. But...
    STORY AND CHARACTERS: Sackboy is awesome. It has character and it has charisma. Sony wanted a mascot? This is the best one that they will ever encounter. Mario and Sonic you have met your match!
    PRESENTATION: Very inventive and very creative. And the fact that you can make your own map and play as a community. The possibilities are limitless.
    GAMEPLAY: Here is where it gets tricky. Although i recognize the game's strong points it gets old really fast to me. Not a great fan of platforming games and the controls are not as responsive. Played it but immediately put it away.
    LBP is innovative a creative with a great new character but it just doesn't work for me...
  7. AlanS.
    Oct 31, 2008
    It may actually be more interesting to create the levels than to play, or it may be that I'm not as into platformers as I used to, but I found the game pretty boring. The presentation is top notch, but I got bored with it pretty quickly.
  8. screegesmith
    Nov 18, 2008
    Well I think is little big dissapointment, I thought it would be a fun game, but no it gets very frustrating the controll is terrible, as other people say, maybe it ihas a good level editing tool, but where is the FUN on it. If you want a physics sim then this is your game, if you are looking for a fun game this is not it.
  9. Sep 5, 2012
    If you're looking for an innovative, creative and fun multiplayer experience, you're in for a treat. Thousands of unique, user created levels overflowing with surprises and perfect for team games. It is a great online community and it is easy to create and share your creations. On the other hand, the single player story mode is thoroughly disappointing. It keeps you happy with lots ofIf you're looking for an innovative, creative and fun multiplayer experience, you're in for a treat. Thousands of unique, user created levels overflowing with surprises and perfect for team games. It is a great online community and it is easy to create and share your creations. On the other hand, the single player story mode is thoroughly disappointing. It keeps you happy with lots of enjoyable levels from the start to middle of the story. They are challenging but just easy enough to keep you wanting to play. However, one of the final levels, The Bunker, is almost impossible. The developers have not thought about what the player is prepared to go through before giving up. It is almost impossible. Only a handful of players have got past it but many, including me, gave up on the unpassable "big wheel" obstacle. It is a poorly designed level and loses the player's interest almost immediately. Thoroughly disappointing. Expand
  10. SimonC.
    Nov 1, 2008
    I think that this might be the biggest difference in professional and user reviews on Metacritic. Personally I found the game to be extremely innovative. Sadly, it wasn't all that much fun.
  11. DouglasA.
    Feb 3, 2009
    This game got its very high ratings from critics based on its creativity. If you ever once contemplated buying a Nintendo Wii, you will probably love this game. This game is actually similar to the original Super Mario Bros in its style (two dimensional running through a map). Serious games who like shooters, role-playing games, and sports games, STAY AWAY. This game is meant for little This game got its very high ratings from critics based on its creativity. If you ever once contemplated buying a Nintendo Wii, you will probably love this game. This game is actually similar to the original Super Mario Bros in its style (two dimensional running through a map). Serious games who like shooters, role-playing games, and sports games, STAY AWAY. This game is meant for little kids and adults who have never been serious gamers. Expand
  12. May 25, 2012
    The controls feel off and although the world's the game are well designed it did feel like an uphill struggle to finish the game just for the sake of it.
  13. MYannakis
    Jan 7, 2010
    One of the biggest disapointment of the current gen consoles. First of all, I must say I am a huge platformer fan I love playing from Mario games to Ratchet & Clank passing by Prince of Persia. When Sony publish something that score like Little Big Planet, my expectation are very high. The problem with the game is not it's style, it's replay value or it's graphic. The One of the biggest disapointment of the current gen consoles. First of all, I must say I am a huge platformer fan I love playing from Mario games to Ratchet & Clank passing by Prince of Persia. When Sony publish something that score like Little Big Planet, my expectation are very high. The problem with the game is not it's style, it's replay value or it's graphic. The gameplay sucks. Even if you give me a gazillion levels to play, I would still be unsatisfied because I feel no enjoyment playing it at all. I played a couple of levels with a buddy of mine and we where both asking ourselves how it is possible someone could actually enjoy it. Also, all the creative stuff added to the game feel pretty lame to me. If I want to stamp stuff and use my creativity I would do scrapbooking instead of playing this. Expand
  14. TimA.
    Dec 3, 2008
    I have to say I am distinctly underwhelmed by this. It looks beautiful but that really is about it. Let's put this in perspective it is a side scrolling platform game which is what we were all playing in the 80's. Also it has the ability to create your own levels....so? There are tons of games out there with level editros and we have never gone quite so mad as we all seem to I have to say I am distinctly underwhelmed by this. It looks beautiful but that really is about it. Let's put this in perspective it is a side scrolling platform game which is what we were all playing in the 80's. Also it has the ability to create your own levels....so? There are tons of games out there with level editros and we have never gone quite so mad as we all seem to have with this. Finally and this is the most annoying thing is the feel of how you jump. It feels too floaty and off, after several hours playing this I am still unable to guage with any confidence how I should arc my jumps successfully. Don't get me wrong it is not a terrible game and like I say it lloks great and it is very cute but I can't help but feel that we have all got a little over excited here there is nothing really revolutionary here and the gameplay is infuriatingly frustrating with the weird jumps and the attempt to put 3 planes into a 2d game. Good but way way over hyped. Expand
  15. ChrisE.
    Oct 4, 2008
    After playing the beta, I cannot understand the hype for the game. Sure, creating your own levels and sharing them amongst friends is an awe-inspiring feature; but this has been done many times in the past. Where's the innovation; playing a 2D sackboy? I'm taking this off my Christmas list.
  16. Usher
    Nov 7, 2009
    Not really sure how this game gets such great ratings. It is boring, repetitive, and lacks purpose. No offense to anyone who liked it but I can't really get into this game at all
  17. ValC.
    Nov 13, 2008
    LittleBigPlanet in every sense of the word was over hyped. Of course graphically the game might have well been superb but overall gaming the game gets incredible dull. The level creation has its benefits but the levels were enveloped in complete idiocy and ludicrously sewn together. As, Ps3 games a gamer, i predict that this game wont get very far. To it's credit. the game doesLittleBigPlanet in every sense of the word was over hyped. Of course graphically the game might have well been superb but overall gaming the game gets incredible dull. The level creation has its benefits but the levels were enveloped in complete idiocy and ludicrously sewn together. As, Ps3 games a gamer, i predict that this game wont get very far. To it's credit. the game does contain what most Ps3 games are lacking nowadays, fun (at least for a while anyway). Expand
  18. DonnyH.
    Oct 15, 2008
    This merely a simple game, it can only jump around, making face and expression.. the fact that this game give the player a tools kit to make a level does not make this a game deserve a 10 score.. for me this is a mediocre game.
  19. MarcDoyle
    Oct 16, 2008
    My advice for our faithful users is focus your attention on the Metascore for this game and not the thousands of user votes, most of which have been submitted before said users have played the game. This is a gaming community, and if people want to stuff the ballot box, there's not much I can do at this point. I When we redesign the site, this type of thing won't happen.My advice for our faithful users is focus your attention on the Metascore for this game and not the thousands of user votes, most of which have been submitted before said users have played the game. This is a gaming community, and if people want to stuff the ballot box, there's not much I can do at this point. I When we redesign the site, this type of thing won't happen. We'll post the full legitimate user reviews upon the game's release. Expand
  20. JackD
    Nov 8, 2008
    There isn
  21. marks
    Oct 25, 2009
    really cool idea. good for my kids. but i never had time or patience to create. i would score higher than 7.5 if it didnt lose appeal so quickly
  22. matthewMurphy
    Mar 11, 2009
    If You're playing with at least 2 people, this game is a 10. If you're playing by yourself, it's a 5...so i met myself in the middle. Single player is definitely creative, but very monotonous. Grab a buddy, and the fun starts...and doesn't stop. Wierd, but that's the way it goes. Buy if you've got a couple buddies who will play with you.
  23. DaveC
    Apr 13, 2009
    Dull, repetitive, shallow gameplay, made even worse by the unresponsive spongy controls - presumably the controls are bad to extend the life of the game as if it had decent controls you would easily fly through the levels in no time. Also, I'm willing to bet that most of the 9s and 10s reviewers are no longer playing this game as the novelty wears off very quickly. If you feel the Dull, repetitive, shallow gameplay, made even worse by the unresponsive spongy controls - presumably the controls are bad to extend the life of the game as if it had decent controls you would easily fly through the levels in no time. Also, I'm willing to bet that most of the 9s and 10s reviewers are no longer playing this game as the novelty wears off very quickly. If you feel the need to give it a go, rent it first. Expand
  24. BobM.
    Oct 12, 2008
    Good game but doesn't deliver on all fronts, Playing online is a lag fest, finding a usercreated level that is acutally good is unheard of, allows one to make their own level and use their creativity to guide them.
  25. TimD
    Oct 14, 2008
    Standard platforming with poorly-implemented, overly-robust physics engine. User-generated content is a big plus, but level-design tools are weak, time-consuming, and condescending. It's not fun to make your own level - feels like a chore. The potential for greatness if users create amazing levels, but you can't score for potential... Cuteness factor will appeal to a large Standard platforming with poorly-implemented, overly-robust physics engine. User-generated content is a big plus, but level-design tools are weak, time-consuming, and condescending. It's not fun to make your own level - feels like a chore. The potential for greatness if users create amazing levels, but you can't score for potential... Cuteness factor will appeal to a large audience but likely turn off core gamers in a big way. Expand
  26. Scott
    Dec 29, 2008
    First of all, I am not a 360 fan trying to lower the score of this game. In fact, I don't even own a 360. That said, I do not see what all the hype is about. So far I've finished single player, downloaded a few levels, and made a few of my own. None of this was as much fun as it was cracked up to be, so I went to multiplayer. Multiplayer with your buddies is pretty fun, First of all, I am not a 360 fan trying to lower the score of this game. In fact, I don't even own a 360. That said, I do not see what all the hype is about. So far I've finished single player, downloaded a few levels, and made a few of my own. None of this was as much fun as it was cracked up to be, so I went to multiplayer. Multiplayer with your buddies is pretty fun, I'll admit. If you plan on playing with anonymous players, look elsewhere. See, there's a gate at the beginning of each level. Once someone crosses this gate, anyone else who joins the game is forced to sit and watch, and cannot play with the group. This results in common occurrences where you'll join 10-20 games in a row, only to not be able to play, and be expected to sit and watch. It's absolutely absurd! There are checkpoints everywhere, and you ought to be able to join in at the next checkpoint! I figured this was how it worked, since in single player I was completely baffled by how many checkpoints there were. Then I figured that is must be so players can join in with little waiting. Wrong! What's left is an okay game. Not great, not even good, but okay. It's still fun to round up a few friends and run through some levels, but with such a focus on community, I really looked forward to playing with some fellow PS3 owners out in the wild, and the game practically hates you for trying to do that. I'm giving it a 5, because that was THE aspect I was most excited for in this game, and it's completely butchered. I'm not much of a level creator, as this literally takes hours to accomplish and I just do not have that kind of time. That said, it is a very robust editor if you're willing to devote hours on end to finishing your work. All in all, without a doubt my biggest disappointment this year. I was really excited to give this game a try, and it's not anything like it was cracked up to be. I've seen nothing but acclaim for this game, and I seriously wonder what I'm missing. Sure it's cute, sure it's charming, but so are games like Ratchet & Clank Future, and that game has character, and a good story, and great voice acting, and tremendous amounts of fun. This has creativity, but falls flat on its face in all other aspects. I would strongly suggest renting this game first, as I wish I had. Expand
  27. timh
    Nov 3, 2009
    This game is simply over rated. There is really nothing in this game that hasnt been done b4 except customizable sack people. After the first three levels, it gets extremely repetitive. and after u get through the crappy campaign, there is the level designer. this is for the patient. i often find myself looking through multiple lists to find what i am looking for, a simple platform. Sure This game is simply over rated. There is really nothing in this game that hasnt been done b4 except customizable sack people. After the first three levels, it gets extremely repetitive. and after u get through the crappy campaign, there is the level designer. this is for the patient. i often find myself looking through multiple lists to find what i am looking for, a simple platform. Sure there is online, but its still more of the same run, jump, and grab onto random sponges as the campaign, only now with random people. This game does not deserve to be the 3rd highest rated PS3 game by any means. It doesn't even deserve a ranking in the top 15. Please don't trust the critics. this game is boring. so many people say the replay value is high. its not. like i said the multiplayer introduces nothing new. it adds a little more challenge over the long and pointless single player(or single machine multiplayer) campaign. trust me. if u want ur moneys worth, get a long game with a gripping story. might i reccomend orange box or the Fallout 3 Game of the year edition. both great values. Expand
  28. JordanL.
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's cute... but after the hype machine leaves you're left with a game that's really pretty unremarkable. The construction set is incredibly deep and that's cool... but if you aren't interested in building anything and just want to play a game you'll find the actual play pretty mundane. It's a platform game. Nothing we haven't seen a couple thousand It's cute... but after the hype machine leaves you're left with a game that's really pretty unremarkable. The construction set is incredibly deep and that's cool... but if you aren't interested in building anything and just want to play a game you'll find the actual play pretty mundane. It's a platform game. Nothing we haven't seen a couple thousand times before. Expand
  29. FrankZ
    Dec 27, 2008
    I seriously do not understand why all the critics are crazy about this game. I simply found it as an average platform game. The fact that you can "design" your own levels is not a new concept and has been around for several years. I think the reviewers are being a bit bias towards this game for some reason. If you are looking for a great platformer, I suggest Super Mario Galaxy. This game I seriously do not understand why all the critics are crazy about this game. I simply found it as an average platform game. The fact that you can "design" your own levels is not a new concept and has been around for several years. I think the reviewers are being a bit bias towards this game for some reason. If you are looking for a great platformer, I suggest Super Mario Galaxy. This game is average at best. Expand
  30. Sep 6, 2010
    i think this game is your average platformer that is fun for about a week then goes stale like clams. It is extremely overrated. i only reccomend picking this up if you have kids 4-7. i have more fun with super monkey ballllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
  31. Oct 5, 2010
    I am very neutral about LittleBigPlanet. The character designs and the variety of special features are impressive, but I still feel this game is slightly overrated. I wouldn't say LittleBiPlanet is a bad game, I'm just saying if you aren't into the platformer genre, then it's best to just stay away.
  32. Dec 20, 2010
    This game consists of jumping around, collecting things, and simple physics based platforming. Yes you can customize basically everything and build your own levels and whatnot, but after everything it's just jumping and collecting things. I'm 19, and this game is boring. I don't expect anyone past the age of 13 to really enjoy this game.
  33. Jan 25, 2011
    This game was a huge disappointment for me. I bought it right away for hefty price of 60 Euro because I had read all those positive reviews in magazines and all the hype on the internet over the LittleBigPlanet. The campaign was a lot of fun but way too short and too easy. It's fun playing a platformer with 4 people, but the lag that came with it was horrible and some of those people wereThis game was a huge disappointment for me. I bought it right away for hefty price of 60 Euro because I had read all those positive reviews in magazines and all the hype on the internet over the LittleBigPlanet. The campaign was a lot of fun but way too short and too easy. It's fun playing a platformer with 4 people, but the lag that came with it was horrible and some of those people were real idiots, ruining the game for the rest of us. The online levels were fun for a day, then they just lost their appeal. The most fun in the game was the editing of your sackboy, differentiating it from everyone else's sackboy, but even that gets boring after a while. Expand
  34. Apr 3, 2011
    i think that this game is alright with its fun gamplay in story mode and cute graphics and i also love all the different possibilities for the outfit your sack boy can wear but the online is lacking and i find it more fun to play a couple levels in story mode with a couple friends that are actually in the room with me. all in all its all right and is defenatly worth playing and you willi think that this game is alright with its fun gamplay in story mode and cute graphics and i also love all the different possibilities for the outfit your sack boy can wear but the online is lacking and i find it more fun to play a couple levels in story mode with a couple friends that are actually in the room with me. all in all its all right and is defenatly worth playing and you will have a blast playing just be warned this game can get boring just playing by yourself Expand
  35. May 22, 2012
    I can see why it is appealing to some audiences, but the visual style and gameplay just wasn't for me. I got about four hours into the game and couldn't carry on. Level editing is surely entertaining, as is decorating your little sackboy, but I will personally still to other platformers.
  36. Mar 15, 2013
    Originally I couldn't get into Little Big Planet but after giving it a chance and playing the whole game for the first time I have to admit it's a good game. The graphics and art design is very unique compared to other games on the market and the platforming gameplay is very simple. The costumes, decorations and stickers etc. are all very appealing and the level creator and multiplayerOriginally I couldn't get into Little Big Planet but after giving it a chance and playing the whole game for the first time I have to admit it's a good game. The graphics and art design is very unique compared to other games on the market and the platforming gameplay is very simple. The costumes, decorations and stickers etc. are all very appealing and the level creator and multiplayer aspect really gets across to a wider audience. The only niggles really I can think of was that I did feel the tiniest bit of lag between pressing the jump-button and Sackboy actually jumping, and the other characters are only really cardboard cutouts that make noises when speaking. Overall, a good unique platformer in today's current age with great design. Expand
  37. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a nice game, but i'm not into children's games, i prefer shooting than putting a nice little guy new outfits. It's ok but i'm not a fan of games likes these. Big disappointment for me as my very first game for the ps3 to be such a "cute" game.
  38. Mar 7, 2014
    In my opinion, write a review about LBP is a difficult task, but now, finished and raising the 100% of the game, have one conclusion: This game is absolutely over-rated and over-valuated.
    LBP isn´t a bad game, a decent platform game, with a powerful engine to create "new worlds", a good artistic design and good music, but nothing special and unique.
    Sackboy is like a drunk Luigi, the
    Sackboy is like a drunk Luigi, the physics are terrible and adds the real difficulties in the game.
    I can be objective, and valuate the creation engine, but I don't wanna waste 3 minutes of my live creating levels, sorry, I´m a hardcore gamer, and the game 2.0 doesn't exist for me.
    And, as a hardcore gamer, like cold beer, women with curves, and if I wanna play an excellent platform game, I will play Super Meat Boy or Super Mario Galaxy.
  39. Dec 2, 2014
    Little Big Planet was a fun little game. And when i say little, I mean it, because it was very short. It took about 3 to 4 hours to finish the game. The Co-op is great, the levels are great and the soundtrack was amazing. The biggest downfall of this game is how short the game is, but it leaves you wanting more.
  40. Mar 12, 2014
    Platform games require something very important in order to be great...and that's control. Little Big Planet lacks good control which makes the game obnoxious to play if you're used to quality platforming from say...Nintendo for example. There's a lot to do in this game, especially if you're able to do four player co-operation. Two to four players will often be required to unlock things,Platform games require something very important in order to be great...and that's control. Little Big Planet lacks good control which makes the game obnoxious to play if you're used to quality platforming from say...Nintendo for example. There's a lot to do in this game, especially if you're able to do four player co-operation. Two to four players will often be required to unlock things, this is something I do not like in video games. Little Big Planet is fun to play once you forget how bad the controls are. Expand
  41. Jun 5, 2014
    It's a really cute game, that is especially fun with a friend, but the unique design made it hard for me to play. It might just be my vision, but it was really difficult distinguishing what was in the foreground, and the background. Something about the design made depth in the game very confusing. I would recommend playing this game on a screen that is rather close to you.
  42. Jan 29, 2015
    As an adult gamer i do not like this game. I do not care about level creation. I pay to have that done ahead of time. I look for challenge, skill and precise control in a platform game.(howdy rayman your good stuff.) thats it champs.

1. There simply isn't anything else like LBP on any system, anywhere. It's a beautifully elegant and powerful creative tool that puts unlimited potential in the palm of your hand. [Nov 2008, p.92]
  2. We're just happy to see a flagship game for a modern system that's about running from left to right and jumping over things. New ideas are great, great old ideas are better, and LittleBigPlanet has both: it's the future and the past of videogames, rolled into one.
  3. Little Big Planet is revolutionary thanks to its flexible, fun and powerful editor. Creating a quality level takes time but the feeling of achievement is overwhelming. A must for everyone who loves creativity or likes to explore what the creativity of a passionate community can produce.