6.9

1. May 15, 2015
  2. Apr 12, 2015
    It's a stupid game with a stupid story with a lot of fan service, but it doesn't tried to be more that what it is, is fun to play and thats what's important, there are annoying parts but it doesn't mess the whole game.

I really like grasshopper, and suda51 even if they make a lot of games like this :P
  3. Dec 19, 2014
    This game is so stupid, it is unbelievable! But stupid can also be fun, and that´s the case here. This is a game that wants you to play it several times, it is quiet short so this shouldn´t be a problem. But for me it was enough to play it once. It just didn´t motivated me enough to play it several times. Different outfits are no reason to keep me playing and the story (if you can call itThis game is so stupid, it is unbelievable! But stupid can also be fun, and that´s the case here. This is a game that wants you to play it several times, it is quiet short so this shouldn´t be a problem. But for me it was enough to play it once. It just didn´t motivated me enough to play it several times. Different outfits are no reason to keep me playing and the story (if you can call it so...) is by far no reason to play it again, but my one playthrough was very entertaining! Expand
  4. Oct 8, 2014
    forget the sexual inuendos ,the lookup /down everywhere ,the repetitive everything etc was it fun to play YES,YES&YES
    PARENTAL GUIDENCE AN ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE
  5. Sep 22, 2014
    This game is not meant to take seriously. I had fun playing this game but overall this game is pretty bad. The story is quite short, the jokes are bad, and the game play is rather repetitive. You play as a blonde cheerleader with a chainsaw and you kill zombies...enough said. There's a boss at the end of every level. The replay value is extremely low. I Platinum the game and got rid of it.This game is not meant to take seriously. I had fun playing this game but overall this game is pretty bad. The story is quite short, the jokes are bad, and the game play is rather repetitive. You play as a blonde cheerleader with a chainsaw and you kill zombies...enough said. There's a boss at the end of every level. The replay value is extremely low. I Platinum the game and got rid of it. Therefore, its a good rental at best. Expand
  6. May 25, 2014
    After Around 4 or more playthroughs, well replaying levels and sparkling hunting coins and platinum to buy mp3, artwork, and skimpy outfits including my favorite Sexy rider kinda looks like a more revealing kill bill outfit but instead of yellow pink, but for some reason something about is always fun, maybe its the Evil Dead Meets High School Of Dead or super Mario on crack vibe, or maybeAfter Around 4 or more playthroughs, well replaying levels and sparkling hunting coins and platinum to buy mp3, artwork, and skimpy outfits including my favorite Sexy rider kinda looks like a more revealing kill bill outfit but instead of yellow pink, but for some reason something about is always fun, maybe its the Evil Dead Meets High School Of Dead or super Mario on crack vibe, or maybe its the mostly awesome song choices including the retardly catchy lollipop song or worst hey mickey, maybe its the goofiness of the story or Great voice overs or even the parody nature of it and the laugh out loud stupid jokes the catch u buy surprise kinda like taste my big B++++R did back in shadows of the damned whatever the case the games like a hidden gem full of go crazy non-sense fun or a guilty pleasure maybe, but hey its Dirt cheap so try it out u might fall for its charms Expand
  7. May 1, 2014
    This is not Shakespeare, though it is only about as long as two of his plays, and while Shakespeare's dialog dipped into old-timey crude, Lollipop Chainsaw sometimes jumps into the crude pool feet first and sinks to the bottom. But I bought this used, and the guy who sold it to me was right: It's twice as fun as it has any right to be. The fighting is not complex, but I've never been goodThis is not Shakespeare, though it is only about as long as two of his plays, and while Shakespeare's dialog dipped into old-timey crude, Lollipop Chainsaw sometimes jumps into the crude pool feet first and sinks to the bottom. But I bought this used, and the guy who sold it to me was right: It's twice as fun as it has any right to be. The fighting is not complex, but I've never been good at fighting games, so complex wasn't what I was after. I wanted something ridiculous, something to suck away my brains for a few hours, but I ended up laughing for all those hours, and I'm smiling now, looking forward to going back for more rainbows and decapitations. Expand
  8. Feb 24, 2014
    I got this game as a present from my dad. He doesn't know much about me or my taste in games and when he asked me I said "Zombie survival games" and he picked this up….I played it while he was at my mom's house so I wouldn't seem ungrateful....Its a games clearly made for guys its a simple 5 level game with repetitive everything.
  9. Jan 31, 2014
    Lollipop Chainsaw is an action hack n slash game developed by Grasshopper Manufacture, a Japanese company known for Shadows of the Damned and the No More Heroes Series. The game revolves around Juliet Starling a typical American cheerleader until a zombie outbreak occurs on her 18th birthday. Luckily Juliet is from a family of zombie hunters, it’s up to her to rescue her boyfriend Nick andLollipop Chainsaw is an action hack n slash game developed by Grasshopper Manufacture, a Japanese company known for Shadows of the Damned and the No More Heroes Series. The game revolves around Juliet Starling a typical American cheerleader until a zombie outbreak occurs on her 18th birthday. Luckily Juliet is from a family of zombie hunters, it’s up to her to rescue her boyfriend Nick and her fellow classmates for the zombie horde.

Story: 7/10
    Lollipop Chainsaw brings nothing new in terms of story. Like Buffy it is based around a quick witted gorgeous cheerleader taking on evil forces from another dimension. I instantly fell in love with Juliet and her bodiless boyfriend Nick, voiced by two my favourite voice actors, Batman: Arkham Asylum’s Tara Strong and Smallville’s Michael Rosenbaum. However throughout the game you are introduced to Juliet’s family who barely have enough screen time to learn anything about them. The dialogues is a hit and miss, some lines are hilarious while others just fail.

Visuals & Sound: 8/10
    The game design is where Lollipop Chainsaw truly shines. Although the graphics are dated, the fun sparkle and rainbow effects and impressive boss designs make up for it. This is evident as early as the main menu which features an animation of Juliet riding her bike with Cherry Bomb being played in the background. The soundtrack is fantastic, ranging from classic pop hits from Toni Basil and Joan Jett to head banging hits by Dragonforce and acclaimed composer of the Silent Hill series, Akira Yamaoka.

Gameplay: 6/10
    At its core Lollipop Chainsaw is crazy button mashing zombie game and this is its problem. Attacks feel sluggish and inaccurate forcing the player to use cheap moves to defeat special enemies. The game is extremely repetitive and linear and some of the levels seem more like a chore than fun. These tedious levels are broken up by mini-games which range from quite fun to really annoying. Although I liked the interesting visual designs of the bosses, I found them boring and easy to defeat all consisting of dodging and hitting them when they are stalled.

Extras & Multiplayer: 5/10
    They replay value for this game is quite limited because it is so tedious and repetitive. Other than replaying the campaign again on harder difficulties or to obtain Dad’s high score there is nothing else to do and the game can be c completed in less than 10 hours. Lollipop Chainsaw is filled with collectables, a library of songs and lots of outfits for Juliet to wear although this is pointless as you cannot replay the game multiple times.

Enjoyment: 5/10
    Although I found the game to be tedious and boring at times, I still enjoyed some parts of it. The atmosphere and dialogue is great and is tremendous fun to watch. The problem with this game is the gameplay, its sluggish controls and dull chapters which bring the whole game.

Overall Rating: 6/10
  10. Dec 18, 2013
    By now you must know this game has a lot of technical issues. Nevertheless it's fun, funny, entertaining and all the weirdness just works and charms you. If you can live with a few technical issues and like the though off killing zombies with a chainsaw wielding blond teenage cheerleader, then buy this.
  11. Apr 5, 2013
    Suda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacture, who brought us Shadows of the Dammed and the No More Heroes series, have been known to create some truly unique games that combine humor with graphic style to give us experiences unlike any other. Lollipop Chainsaw is no different. It combines a goofy, over the top style, with hilariously vulgar humor and tight gameplay. In this game you play as aSuda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacture, who brought us Shadows of the Dammed and the No More Heroes series, have been known to create some truly unique games that combine humor with graphic style to give us experiences unlike any other. Lollipop Chainsaw is no different. It combines a goofy, over the top style, with hilariously vulgar humor and tight gameplay. In this game you play as a skimpily dressed cheerleader named Juliet and slash your way through hoards of zombies. Only in a video game baby, only in a video game. The games graphics help give it a graphic novel style, and the soundtrack is top notch. The gameplay is fantastic, which is partially due to it's unique style. Decapitating a zombie and seeing just as much glitter and rainbows as blood spewing out of its neck is really enjoyable despite how girly it sounds. The game is also packed to the brim with vulgar and immature humor that will have you rolling on the floor. So Lollipop Chainsaw is awesome, but it's not perfect. It's a lot of fun, has awesome boss battles, and some really cool moments but doesn't really have any replay value. Once you've played through it you've seen all it has to offer, so unless you just have to collect all those trophies or see both endings there's not much reason to give it a second go. But it is a lot of fun and if you get a chance to play Lollipop Chainsaw you should as it's a blast and offers some really cool and crazy stuff your not going to find anywhere else. Just keep in mind this is definitely only for mature audiences. Expand
  12. Mar 20, 2013
    This is a good game, got it for $20 a few weeks ago, I only played through the first chapter because I dont have time to play but I can tell that im going to like it as I keep playing.
  13. Mar 4, 2013
    This game was an impulse rent, and I'm glad it was just a rent. The game has a shorter campaign (5-6 hours) and is good for one playthrough. The character Nick is well written and has some really funny lines. The core gameplay is good, however the mini games are for the most part not that fun. Boss fights were good aside from the last one. This game really doesn't look that good in myThis game was an impulse rent, and I'm glad it was just a rent. The game has a shorter campaign (5-6 hours) and is good for one playthrough. The character Nick is well written and has some really funny lines. The core gameplay is good, however the mini games are for the most part not that fun. Boss fights were good aside from the last one. This game really doesn't look that good in my opinion. I know it's a different art style, kind of similar to Splatterhouse, but it lacks a lot of detail. Not a whole lot of replay value. Rent only. Expand
  14. Mar 4, 2013
    Gameplay is simple and it feels nice. Comic-alike graphics fit the theme and the whole game is basically a huge parody of.... well, everything. By that you can probably already guess that the plot isn't too deep, but it's funny (if you don't mind adult language and themes). All trophies are easy to get, there wasn't really even a single hard trophy.
    Overall I find the game great,
    Overall I find the game great, especially if you are looking for a simple, shortish game to play.
  15. Feb 14, 2013
    Goichi Suda is a man of intent. Not a single one of his games contains an accidental element. From the pacing, setting, dialogue, music, humor, art direction, call backs, references, and control schemes, everything is deliberately chosen to fit his purpose, and Lollipop Chainsaw does not deviate. It is possessed of the same soul as Shadows of the Damned and No More Heroes, and each detailGoichi Suda is a man of intent. Not a single one of his games contains an accidental element. From the pacing, setting, dialogue, music, humor, art direction, call backs, references, and control schemes, everything is deliberately chosen to fit his purpose, and Lollipop Chainsaw does not deviate. It is possessed of the same soul as Shadows of the Damned and No More Heroes, and each detail is applied with an exacting, painstaking, firm creative hand.

I’ll first make mention that I have, in fact, been floating around the internet, reading one review or another of Suda’s most recent effort (which is totally why this review is as late as it is… *cricket* *cricket*), and I can state that among the reviews I’ve read (which certainly doesn’t include everything out there), all of them are entirely inadequate, or downright misrepresent the game with a simple, sophomoric understanding of what’s actually going on. For example, a common turn of phrase that’s unfortunately been associated with this game is “It’s stupid, but it’s awesome,” or some variation thereof. Beyond telling you nothing whatsoever (what does “stupid” mean, contextually? I don’t know, because none of the authors ever say so…), it fails to expose all of the wonderful components that make up the game, preferring to simply refer to the particularly vulgar dialogue and crass situational punchlines. There’s a lot here, and though I’ve often been (rightly) accused of over analysis and being pedantic, you’ll find this particular review does Lollipop Chainsaw justice.

I’ll start with the aesthetic. The game is set in the 1950′s, as can be gleaned from the dialogue and visual queues. All of Juliet’s male classmates are wearing letter jackets, the hairstyles are indicative of the time period (from Nick’s greaser twist, to her father’s pompadour, and her mother’s Donna Reed), as well as the dialogue though the profanity is errant for the era, the actual slang is all period perfect. None of this seems too special, until I call your attention to the news print loading screens, and the Ben-Day dots, and news paper edging motif used throughout the game from the menus, to the loading screens, to the in-game environments. These elements are hallmarks of 1950′s pulp comics, which when juxtaposed with the look and feel of the game, make it not only apparent that that’s exactly what Suda was aiming at, but puts on display just how perfect a match it is. And the pulp doesn’t stop there with nods to both George A. Romero and Joss Whedon, as well as Silence of the Lambs, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the 1992 film starring Kristy Swanson and featuring Paul Reubens and Donald Sutherland [among others], not the aforementioned Joss’ TV show) and others I’m surely missing (all of the apparent ones reference zombies or cannibalism)– pulpy, exploitative grindhouse homages abound from nearly every era.

It is exactly this observation that endorses the over-the-top dialogue. Is it ridiculous? You bet your sweet bippy! But considering that aforementioned pulpy, grindhouse feel the game goes for (and achieves), it’s a perfect fit, and beyond that, essential. Anyone who says otherwise missed the point entirely.

The plot is just as silly as any of Suda’s other games. On her 18th birthday, Juliet wakes up late to a meeting with her darling Nick, while the goth kid from school, Swan, conducts a ritual that allows the dead to once again walk the Earth. Coming from a family of zombie hunters, it’s her job to take care of the undead uprising, shouldering the burden of Nick’s now headlessness, while also saving her imperilled class mates. It’s the simple “SUDDENLY FIGHT!” convention that all of Suda’s games typically stick to, but it’s this simplicity that allowed him to, I’m sure, devote far more time and effort into the things this game will undoubtedly be remembered for. Verdict: ++Good (9.5 out of 10) The been-there-done-that combat only nominally detracts from the experience; though it isn’t anything new, it -IS- implemented tightly, with smooth and intuitive controls/combos, and an unobtrusive camera. The game is simply stunning with regard to aesthetics, not only being Suda’s most crisp game, graphically, but all of the (largely overlooked) pop culture inclusions come together to make it artistically appealing, and the ridiculous disregard for decorum and hilarious dialogue that don’t quit will entertain for its duration. Oh, and the soundtrack is killer. Get off your ginormous ass and go buy Lollipop Chainsaw!

If video game developers have analogous music genres, Suda 51 is the punk rock of gaming. I can’t wait to see what’s on deck.
  16. Dec 4, 2012
    I have a bit of a soft spot for this game. Overall it was well done. The problem with it was it was short and the controls felt stiff. But if the developers went back, made it longer by at least five to eight hours and ironed out the kinks, this would be a near perfect game. It was DOA with zombies and chainsaws (in the good way). Very entertaining and reasonably varied.
  17. Nov 24, 2012
    I haven't played the game entirely true, but that should say how boring it was. The only reason this game probably sold alot is because of the main character being a teasing cheerleader. The gameplay is slow and repetitive even for a hack'n'slasher, the voice acting is horrible with little emotion and sounds fake loads of the time and the story is just bland -except for the few laughs whenI haven't played the game entirely true, but that should say how boring it was. The only reason this game probably sold alot is because of the main character being a teasing cheerleader. The gameplay is slow and repetitive even for a hack'n'slasher, the voice acting is horrible with little emotion and sounds fake loads of the time and the story is just bland -except for the few laughs when main character chops of her bf's head and carries it around like a trinket-. This game is nothing but cheap commercial trash cashing in on horny teenage boys. If you're looking for a good game that still gives you the hots, yet freaks you out with Japanese mysticism, I recommend Catherine. Expand
  18. Nov 11, 2012
    The FanService is great 10/10; But this game is very creative... Many things make no sense most of the time! You can call it insane, ridiculous, that gives a bad message... But being a Gamer is not only play amazing games with complicated puzzles, also is to get FUN, and this is a FUN game. I bought it to get a good time and it made my day. I have more than 30 PS3 games like Skyrim,The FanService is great 10/10; But this game is very creative... Many things make no sense most of the time! You can call it insane, ridiculous, that gives a bad message... But being a Gamer is not only play amazing games with complicated puzzles, also is to get FUN, and this is a FUN game. I bought it to get a good time and it made my day. I have more than 30 PS3 games like Skyrim, Uncharted (all) God of war (all) etc. Sometimes you want to relax and play something not so serious and this game fits Perfect!! Expand
  19. Nov 10, 2012
    boys player might love seein slutty dressed girls chopping zombies head off. As a girl player, i dont enjoy playing it, the game was kinda old styled for some reason (they made it looked like that) and i think the games' main point is getting boys customer to play. Not really a game for girls....
  20. Oct 31, 2012
    Lollipop chainsaw is considerably better than Deadrising 2 and showed a lot of potential. The zombie killing is fun and better than Deadrising 2 but that doesn't say much! Consider before you go out and buy, but buy instead of Deadrising 2.
  21. Sep 8, 2012
    It's a pretty descent game; however the controls were delayed, but on the plus side the combo moves were pretty cool. The cut-scenes are amusing and Nick's dialogue is really funny. The premise is awesome and overall it's a pretty fun game, but for me there was no real replay value. In closing I feel this game serves best as a rental only. It's a really short campaign and has delayedIt's a pretty descent game; however the controls were delayed, but on the plus side the combo moves were pretty cool. The cut-scenes are amusing and Nick's dialogue is really funny. The premise is awesome and overall it's a pretty fun game, but for me there was no real replay value. In closing I feel this game serves best as a rental only. It's a really short campaign and has delayed controls, but it's a lot fun to play and the soundtrack is pretty cool as well Expand
  22. Aug 25, 2012
    When first hearing about Lollipop Chainsaw sometime last year it immediately garnished my attention with its offbeat presentation and unique sense of style. A chainsaw wielding cheerleader decapitating zombies against a background of stars and rainbows? Did I really just see that? I assume many people had the same initial reaction. Which I
  23. Aug 13, 2012
    This game is absolutely insane, and I love that. Midway through the game, you are sent to a farm. One segment of that level consists of driving a combine harvester through a field as "You Spin Me Right Round" (the awesome original, not the **** remake) plays in the background, which honestly made me stop for a minute because it was so great. Juliet is hilarious; rarely a moment goes byThis game is absolutely insane, and I love that. Midway through the game, you are sent to a farm. One segment of that level consists of driving a combine harvester through a field as "You Spin Me Right Round" (the awesome original, not the **** remake) plays in the background, which honestly made me stop for a minute because it was so great. Juliet is hilarious; rarely a moment goes by without her delivering some perfectly-timed quip. The banter between her, Nick (her boyfriend, who happens to be a severed head thanks to some antics on Juliet's part), and Juliet's relatives kept me going throughout the game.
    Very few segments stood out as rather tedious or frustrating. An early mini-game has you defending a volatile cake-bomb from flaming zombies. This got very boring quickly, as I would kill close to the target amount, only to have one slip past and send me back to the beginning. All things considered, I would recommend Lollipop Chainsaw to people looking for something that's not a military FPS or gory slugfest.
  24. Zio
    Jul 16, 2012
    Looks and sounds fantastic. Game play is a little shallow but still a really fun game. If you thought you would like it but were put off by lousy reviews you should give it a go.
  25. Jul 3, 2012
    Suda51′s latest masterpiece/abomination seems to be the most controversial so far. There
  26. Jul 2, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game as I enjoyed Shadows of the Damned, and even going into this with really, really low expectations didn't help. I thought the quirky humour might be half enjoyable, but I played for a few hours and only had a slight laugh at one of Nick's lines. All the other one-liners are just cheesy beyond being entertaining.

The game-play is boring and repetitive,

The game-play is boring and repetitive, the boss fights are bland and predictable, and the story is non-existent. There is nothing catching my attention, nothing tempting me to carry on. They actually did an OK job with the graphics, but I found myself fighting the camera too much, trying to reposition the view to see what was happening on the screen.

On the plus side the soundtrack was great, and visual style of the game and menus looked interesting, but sadly this is a case of style over substance. All the visual flair in the world cant make up for boring game-play.

For anyone sitting on the fence on whether to try this game, I would seriously suggest you wait until it drops to a bargain price, of which I have a feeling will happen pretty quickly.
  27. Jul 2, 2012
    This game is the coolest ever and it's short but you can play you how many times you want , i'm playing it right now , and i'm loving it , so i advise all who like funny games and want to laugh to buy it :D
  28. Jun 29, 2012
    Despite it's very odd story, Lollipop chainsaw provides a lot of enjoyment if you can see yourself past the first few upgrades; the controls feel clunky at first but gets better as time progresses. This game is not designed to be taken seriously, and to be treated as a score attack game. The replay-ability is limited and there is no real push to play it once the initial play through isDespite it's very odd story, Lollipop chainsaw provides a lot of enjoyment if you can see yourself past the first few upgrades; the controls feel clunky at first but gets better as time progresses. This game is not designed to be taken seriously, and to be treated as a score attack game. The replay-ability is limited and there is no real push to play it once the initial play through is complete, but nonetheless the games style and humor push it to be something more than a boring game Expand
  29. Jun 28, 2012
    This is one of the products that people like to hate just because it makes them feel better. The only criticism I have read is that the game is not a total revolution, does not elevate gameplay to another dimension and does not have a humor that will satisfy 15 year old boys as much as college professors. But does that make it a bad game? I don't think so.

The setting of this game is

The setting of this game is as easy as it is brilliant, the day begins with the main character Juliet waking up in her room and heading off to school, just to realize that all her classmates have turned into zombies. It comes in handy that Juliet belongs to a family of zombie hunters.

The action begins just like that, Juliet takes out her chainsaw and begins her spree. This is a hack and slay game, and one that does not take your hand. With various combinations of chainsaw attacks and pompom-bashes (she is a cheerleader, after all) that stun the enemies. Basically, combat is all about killing as many zombies as possible at once, which requires some timing and knowledge of the combo system, so no button mashing allowed here. The combat is no revolution, but fluid and satisfying enough. The game consists of seven different areas, each of them with a different setup (school farm, etc.), so the zombie bashing never gets boring. Additionally, there is a number of mini-games, shooting challenges, "zombie basketball", "zombie baseball", etc.etc.etc.

The game is short, but due to a number of achievable costumes, moves and power-ups as well as several ranking modes, it definitely has a high replay value. Music is just great, humor a little dumb at times but consequent enough to make sense. This is a great, fun and challenging game, tone and artwork different from everything else I know on this console, that alone makes it an outstanding experience that I can highly recommend.
  30. Jun 25, 2012
    Amazing, just crush zombies, good old-school with so many details, good design , good music , i really like it , black humor just see all zombies profiles

1. Oct 13, 2012
    A highly amusing arcade-style group beat 'em up many over-the-top elements. Only in Japan, baby, only in Japan. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    A truly crazy zombie slasher that's putting the absurd style of the main heroine and the game's fetishistic stylization of a lollipop flavour up to the front. If you have a look at the actual gameplay, you get a sinusoid of a stereotype and enjoyment, up and down, up and down. If this kind of style and humour suits you, try it. However, do not expect Dead Rising out of it, this is really different.
  3. Jul 24, 2012
    Short, sweet and one of its kind, Lollipop loses its great flavour faster than cheap bubblegum. [Sept 2012, p.98]