7.0

1. Apr 5, 2013
    Suda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacture, who brought us Shadows of the Dammed and the No More Heroes series, have been known to create some truly unique games that combine humor with graphic style to give us experiences unlike any other. Lollipop Chainsaw is no different. It combines a goofy, over the top style, with hilariously vulgar humor and tight gameplay. In this game you play as aSuda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacture, who brought us Shadows of the Dammed and the No More Heroes series, have been known to create some truly unique games that combine humor with graphic style to give us experiences unlike any other. Lollipop Chainsaw is no different. It combines a goofy, over the top style, with hilariously vulgar humor and tight gameplay. In this game you play as a skimpily dressed cheerleader named Juliet and slash your way through hoards of zombies. Only in a video game baby, only in a video game. The games graphics help give it a graphic novel style, and the soundtrack is top notch. The gameplay is fantastic, which is partially due to it's unique style. Decapitating a zombie and seeing just as much glitter and rainbows as blood spewing out of its neck is really enjoyable despite how girly it sounds. The game is also packed to the brim with vulgar and immature humor that will have you rolling on the floor. So Lollipop Chainsaw is awesome, but it's not perfect. It's a lot of fun, has awesome boss battles, and some really cool moments but doesn't really have any replay value. Once you've played through it you've seen all it has to offer, so unless you just have to collect all those trophies or see both endings there's not much reason to give it a second go. But it is a lot of fun and if you get a chance to play Lollipop Chainsaw you should as it's a blast and offers some really cool and crazy stuff your not going to find anywhere else. Just keep in mind this is definitely only for mature audiences. Expand
  2. Dec 18, 2013
    By now you must know this game has a lot of technical issues. Nevertheless it's fun, funny, entertaining and all the weirdness just works and charms you. If you can live with a few technical issues and like the though off killing zombies with a chainsaw wielding blond teenage cheerleader, then buy this.
  3. Jun 13, 2012
    Been waiting for this game a long time and it delivers. It's a lot of fun, graphix are mixed but mostly look very good, and seems to be a lot of stuff to unlock and it's challenging. The only downsides I've noticed that aren't game killing are you cannot seem to remap your controls and the default controls are a little odd but you get used to them. Some load times are long too butBeen waiting for this game a long time and it delivers. It's a lot of fun, graphix are mixed but mostly look very good, and seems to be a lot of stuff to unlock and it's challenging. The only downsides I've noticed that aren't game killing are you cannot seem to remap your controls and the default controls are a little odd but you get used to them. Some load times are long too but definitely not as long as a lot of other games I've played. I heard the game is short but that doesn't bother me as long as the game brings the fun and this definitely does, and it has a lot of humor, have laughed a lot during my couple hours of gameplay. Definitely recommend checking it out! Expand
  4. Jun 21, 2012
    Lollipop Chainsaw is not as bad as some of the bigger review sites have made out. if you have played other suda 51 games you will have an idea of what to expect. before i start yes the game is very short with 5 levels and then a sixth level with big boss battle the last area is quite large. you can finish the story mode in a day on normal, easily. That out of the way i enjoyed every bitLollipop Chainsaw is not as bad as some of the bigger review sites have made out. if you have played other suda 51 games you will have an idea of what to expect. before i start yes the game is very short with 5 levels and then a sixth level with big boss battle the last area is quite large. you can finish the story mode in a day on normal, easily. That out of the way i enjoyed every bit of the game the characters are funny. the main character juliet is funny with her boyfreinds head latched onto the back side of her skirt. The in-game humor ranges from the teenage toilet humor to obscure game references,and musical references. I did not find it offensive just funny. The graphics are for the main part very good with a comic cell shaded look with a film grain filter around the edges of the screen.
    apart from a slightly dodgy camera now and again for me the controls are fine and after 1or 2 hours you will be sparkle hunting with the best of them (lop 3-zombies heads of in a row activates sparkle hunting ) you get more medals and seem invincible while in sparkle hunting mode. after you complete the story you can try the real game with the challenge modes time attack,score attack,medal attack on any difficulty and with online leaderboards. on hard or above is a real challenge as there are no checkpoint re-starts in challenge mode fail and you must try the full level again. At about 15 dollars cheaper than a standard game release. the game is for suda fans a good game and for everyone else i would say rent it , if you like it then buy it for the challenge modes. there are plenty of unlockables new costumes for juliet,design artwork, music for a customisable soundtrack, and a collection of juliets favorite lollipops.
  5. Jun 12, 2012
    So i've put about 2 hours into it thus far, and i cant tell you this will be a groundbreaking title by any means of the mainstream. This game will receive well with those who love suda's work. Also, james gunn and jimmy urine of mindless self indulgence helped out, and of course yamaoka on sound design. Its an arcade game, and should be treated as such. expect a thrilling, fast pacedSo i've put about 2 hours into it thus far, and i cant tell you this will be a groundbreaking title by any means of the mainstream. This game will receive well with those who love suda's work. Also, james gunn and jimmy urine of mindless self indulgence helped out, and of course yamaoka on sound design. Its an arcade game, and should be treated as such. expect a thrilling, fast paced zombie slashing experience, with rewards all along the way. but along with that, you are able to go through the game multiple times to unlock further items such as costumes, and combo attacks. there's a lot of systems going on here, and seems like it was a pretty ambitious project for suda. overall the minor errors in simple gameplay mechanics are basically juliet moves a bit stiff, and the camera sometimes is placed in a very annoying position. but these things don't take away from any of the charm that's meant to be experienced in the game. Expand
  6. Jun 16, 2012
    Story: The story is crazy, yet enjoyable. James Gunn's typical brand of humor is on display here, as well as Suda 51's talent for coming up with crazy yet likable game ideas. I definitely think some of the baddies were creative and fun. Juliet and Nick on a whole were likable to a point, however some moments during the game, you just want them to shut up. And Juliet's family were justStory: The story is crazy, yet enjoyable. James Gunn's typical brand of humor is on display here, as well as Suda 51's talent for coming up with crazy yet likable game ideas. I definitely think some of the baddies were creative and fun. Juliet and Nick on a whole were likable to a point, however some moments during the game, you just want them to shut up. And Juliet's family were just plain annoying no matter what they did.

Art Style: The game is gorgeous! I loved the colour palette they used to really make the environments pop. The Character design and costume design was very much stylised within the whole Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Grease theme and it works for the story and the ridiculous personalities of the characters.

Gameplay: Here's where my decision to rate it a 7 was most evident. When Juliet is doing the things that she's meant to be doing (the bread and butter of the game), like killing hundreds of zombies by chainsawing them to bits, the combat is really fun. Unlocking new combos and upgrading Juliet to make her stronger and be able to dodge faster, makes these sections great fun. The boss battles are simple enough to figure out what you need to do in these encounters to win, but you don't mind the simple nature of it because the villains are actually nice to look at.

The frustrating issues pop up when Juliet has to participate in these mini games, spread out in between the combat sections. For instance, one mini game has you play Zombie Baseball, where the goal is to shoot enemies with your chainsaw blaster, to prevent them from stopping Nick from running 3 home runs. This wouldn't be frustrating, if the lock on targeting system for the blaster didn't automatic choose your targets for you, especially since they're not the targets you want to be targeting at that point in time. More times than not, l'd go to shoot an enemy right next to Nick to allow him to keep going, only for my targeting system to rapidly pull my targeting ridicule to the enemy on the other side of the diamond, thereby making me have to manually move my ridicule with the analog stick as quickly as it would allow me, back across the diamond and hopefully shoot the enemy in time before he kills Nick and makes me have to play the entire match again. So, like i said, when Juliet is doing the things she's meant to do, the game is a joy to play. When the game makes you have to do stupid insignificant mini games, that use frustratingly flawed mechanics, then Lollipop Chainsaw will frustrate you alot.

Sound: Lollipop Chainsaw has some decent old school tracks, that were licensed for the game. Every time Juliet activates her Sparkle meter, Oh Micky You're So Fine plays and it fits the overall vibe of the character and the story, which is that this game is a ridiculous experience, but in a very fun way. Other songs can be unlocked within the chop shop store, where Juliet buys her upgrades and such, to change the soundtrack and customise your music. The sound design for the game is decent. The chainsaw sounds like it slices through some zombies like a hot knife through butter, whilst catching on bone and really chugging to get through it with others. The majority of characters are well voiced, however i found Rosalind to be really painful for my ears. Parental Guidance: This game is definitely not a game that is suitable for minors. Alot of swear words and unsavory gestures were said and showed during my play through, one particular instance to be made aware of is during the first boss battle with Zed the Punk Rock Zombie. The character of Juliet is very sexualised, both in how she acts, how she dresses and how other characters interact with her throughout the story and this is further compounded on by unlockable skins for Juliet to change into between stages. There's also an achievement/trophy for peeking underneath Juliet's skirt, however the game does a good job of anytime you stop to try and achieve these, she blocks any attempt for you to do so, so i have not idea how these achievement/trophy is obtained, but it is nice that Grasshopper Manufacture put that in there.

Even thou Grasshopper Manufacture made it a talking point of the game, that when Juliet kills zombies, they explode into rainbows and lollipops to tone down the violence, it was not made clear (at least in my opinion) that this only happens after Juliet activates Sparkle Mode. So there is still a degree of blood that is shown when you kill zombies whilst not in Sparkle Mode.

Conclusion: Apart from some frustrating issues with certain facets of the game, Lollipop Chainsaw is still a really fun game and i definitely recommend ADULTS go and buy this. This is in my opinion, another really good game for Suda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacture to add to their list of games.

Thank you and i hope to hear any feedback from people on this, my very first game review!
  7. Jun 29, 2012
    Despite it's very odd story, Lollipop chainsaw provides a lot of enjoyment if you can see yourself past the first few upgrades; the controls feel clunky at first but gets better as time progresses. This game is not designed to be taken seriously, and to be treated as a score attack game. The replay-ability is limited and there is no real push to play it once the initial play through isDespite it's very odd story, Lollipop chainsaw provides a lot of enjoyment if you can see yourself past the first few upgrades; the controls feel clunky at first but gets better as time progresses. This game is not designed to be taken seriously, and to be treated as a score attack game. The replay-ability is limited and there is no real push to play it once the initial play through is complete, but nonetheless the games style and humor push it to be something more than a boring game Expand
  8. Oct 31, 2012
    Lollipop chainsaw is considerably better than Deadrising 2 and showed a lot of potential. The zombie killing is fun and better than Deadrising 2 but that doesn't say much! Consider before you go out and buy, but buy instead of Deadrising 2.
  9. Dec 19, 2014
    This game is so stupid, it is unbelievable! But stupid can also be fun, and that´s the case here. This is a game that wants you to play it several times, it is quiet short so this shouldn´t be a problem. But for me it was enough to play it once. It just didn´t motivated me enough to play it several times. Different outfits are no reason to keep me playing and the story (if you can call itThis game is so stupid, it is unbelievable! But stupid can also be fun, and that´s the case here. This is a game that wants you to play it several times, it is quiet short so this shouldn´t be a problem. But for me it was enough to play it once. It just didn´t motivated me enough to play it several times. Different outfits are no reason to keep me playing and the story (if you can call it so...) is by far no reason to play it again, but my one playthrough was very entertaining! Expand
  10. Jan 31, 2014
    Lollipop Chainsaw is an action hack n slash game developed by Grasshopper Manufacture, a Japanese company known for Shadows of the Damned and the No More Heroes Series. The game revolves around Juliet Starling a typical American cheerleader until a zombie outbreak occurs on her 18th birthday. Luckily Juliet is from a family of zombie hunters, it’s up to her to rescue her boyfriend Nick andLollipop Chainsaw is an action hack n slash game developed by Grasshopper Manufacture, a Japanese company known for Shadows of the Damned and the No More Heroes Series. The game revolves around Juliet Starling a typical American cheerleader until a zombie outbreak occurs on her 18th birthday. Luckily Juliet is from a family of zombie hunters, it’s up to her to rescue her boyfriend Nick and her fellow classmates for the zombie horde.

Story: 7/10
    Lollipop Chainsaw brings nothing new in terms of story. Like Buffy it is based around a quick witted gorgeous cheerleader taking on evil forces from another dimension. I instantly fell in love with Juliet and her bodiless boyfriend Nick, voiced by two my favourite voice actors, Batman: Arkham Asylum’s Tara Strong and Smallville’s Michael Rosenbaum. However throughout the game you are introduced to Juliet’s family who barely have enough screen time to learn anything about them. The dialogues is a hit and miss, some lines are hilarious while others just fail.

Visuals & Sound: 8/10
    The game design is where Lollipop Chainsaw truly shines. Although the graphics are dated, the fun sparkle and rainbow effects and impressive boss designs make up for it. This is evident as early as the main menu which features an animation of Juliet riding her bike with Cherry Bomb being played in the background. The soundtrack is fantastic, ranging from classic pop hits from Toni Basil and Joan Jett to head banging hits by Dragonforce and acclaimed composer of the Silent Hill series, Akira Yamaoka.

Gameplay: 6/10
    At its core Lollipop Chainsaw is crazy button mashing zombie game and this is its problem. Attacks feel sluggish and inaccurate forcing the player to use cheap moves to defeat special enemies. The game is extremely repetitive and linear and some of the levels seem more like a chore than fun. These tedious levels are broken up by mini-games which range from quite fun to really annoying. Although I liked the interesting visual designs of the bosses, I found them boring and easy to defeat all consisting of dodging and hitting them when they are stalled.

Extras & Multiplayer: 5/10
    They replay value for this game is quite limited because it is so tedious and repetitive. Other than replaying the campaign again on harder difficulties or to obtain Dad’s high score there is nothing else to do and the game can be c completed in less than 10 hours. Lollipop Chainsaw is filled with collectables, a library of songs and lots of outfits for Juliet to wear although this is pointless as you cannot replay the game multiple times.

Enjoyment: 5/10
    Although I found the game to be tedious and boring at times, I still enjoyed some parts of it. The atmosphere and dialogue is great and is tremendous fun to watch. The problem with this game is the gameplay, its sluggish controls and dull chapters which bring the whole game.

Overall Rating: 6/10
  11. Sep 8, 2012
    It's a pretty descent game; however the controls were delayed, but on the plus side the combo moves were pretty cool. The cut-scenes are amusing and Nick's dialogue is really funny. The premise is awesome and overall it's a pretty fun game, but for me there was no real replay value. In closing I feel this game serves best as a rental only. It's a really short campaign and has delayedIt's a pretty descent game; however the controls were delayed, but on the plus side the combo moves were pretty cool. The cut-scenes are amusing and Nick's dialogue is really funny. The premise is awesome and overall it's a pretty fun game, but for me there was no real replay value. In closing I feel this game serves best as a rental only. It's a really short campaign and has delayed controls, but it's a lot fun to play and the soundtrack is pretty cool as well Expand
  12. Sep 22, 2014
    This game is not meant to take seriously. I had fun playing this game but overall this game is pretty bad. The story is quite short, the jokes are bad, and the game play is rather repetitive. You play as a blonde cheerleader with a chainsaw and you kill zombies...enough said. There's a boss at the end of every level. The replay value is extremely low. I Platinum the game and got rid of it.This game is not meant to take seriously. I had fun playing this game but overall this game is pretty bad. The story is quite short, the jokes are bad, and the game play is rather repetitive. You play as a blonde cheerleader with a chainsaw and you kill zombies...enough said. There's a boss at the end of every level. The replay value is extremely low. I Platinum the game and got rid of it. Therefore, its a good rental at best. Expand
  13. May 15, 2015
  14. Jun 13, 2012
    I *really* wanted to like this game. The concept is hilarious. The artwork and the voice acting are also excellent. I was hoping this would feel something like an early Buffy episode with more chutzpah and zombies. Here's the problem. The gameplay stinks. Basically you have one wave of zombies after another, mash some control buttons to execute random combos, knock down the zombiesI *really* wanted to like this game. The concept is hilarious. The artwork and the voice acting are also excellent. I was hoping this would feel something like an early Buffy episode with more chutzpah and zombies. Here's the problem. The gameplay stinks. Basically you have one wave of zombies after another, mash some control buttons to execute random combos, knock down the zombies then move on. Batman Arkham city was a bit button mashy like this but there you had much more scope for positioning, tactics and you really felt like you were reacting to attacks and planning out how to take down groups carefully. Here it's just mash square, circle, triangle then move on. This gets boring fast. The other criticism is that the writing falls flat. I was hoping that the lines here would be somewhat snappy and clever. Instead, it feels more like a 13 year old clumsily taunting you and the result is just uninteresting. It's sad, I wanted this to be a really great game but the mediocre writing and gameplay ruined it for me. Expand
  15. Jul 2, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game as I enjoyed Shadows of the Damned, and even going into this with really, really low expectations didn't help. I thought the quirky humour might be half enjoyable, but I played for a few hours and only had a slight laugh at one of Nick's lines. All the other one-liners are just cheesy beyond being entertaining.

The game-play is boring and repetitive,

The game-play is boring and repetitive, the boss fights are bland and predictable, and the story is non-existent. There is nothing catching my attention, nothing tempting me to carry on. They actually did an OK job with the graphics, but I found myself fighting the camera too much, trying to reposition the view to see what was happening on the screen.

On the plus side the soundtrack was great, and visual style of the game and menus looked interesting, but sadly this is a case of style over substance. All the visual flair in the world cant make up for boring game-play.

For anyone sitting on the fence on whether to try this game, I would seriously suggest you wait until it drops to a bargain price, of which I have a feeling will happen pretty quickly.
  16. Mar 4, 2013
    This game was an impulse rent, and I'm glad it was just a rent. The game has a shorter campaign (5-6 hours) and is good for one playthrough. The character Nick is well written and has some really funny lines. The core gameplay is good, however the mini games are for the most part not that fun. Boss fights were good aside from the last one. This game really doesn't look that good in myThis game was an impulse rent, and I'm glad it was just a rent. The game has a shorter campaign (5-6 hours) and is good for one playthrough. The character Nick is well written and has some really funny lines. The core gameplay is good, however the mini games are for the most part not that fun. Boss fights were good aside from the last one. This game really doesn't look that good in my opinion. I know it's a different art style, kind of similar to Splatterhouse, but it lacks a lot of detail. Not a whole lot of replay value. Rent only. Expand

1. Oct 13, 2012
    A highly amusing arcade-style group beat 'em up many over-the-top elements. Only in Japan, baby, only in Japan. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    A truly crazy zombie slasher that's putting the absurd style of the main heroine and the game's fetishistic stylization of a lollipop flavour up to the front. If you have a look at the actual gameplay, you get a sinusoid of a stereotype and enjoyment, up and down, up and down. If this kind of style and humour suits you, try it. However, do not expect Dead Rising out of it, this is really different.
  3. Jul 24, 2012
    Short, sweet and one of its kind, Lollipop loses its great flavour faster than cheap bubblegum. [Sept 2012, p.98]