6.0

1. Aug 23, 2010
    I don't usually like to jump right on and review a game within 24 hours of purchasing it. I usually give myself a little time to form a more accurate opinion, but Madden NFL 11 really left a lot on the field from my perspective. EA Sports' Madden slogan is, "If it's in the game, it's in the game". practice squads, bundling and trading draft picks from next year's crop (or the year after), fully customizable playbooks, plays, and uniforms, and 45 man game-day rosters are all things that are "in the game" but still no where near the madden franchise. I may be in the sad minority here, but I don't give a crap about online play, especially online team-play. What I tend to focus on the most is franchise mode.
    Playing the franchise mode on Madden 11 is a serviceable experience at best, but very disappointing if you were hoping for any upgrades. It is basically the EXACT SAME interface as Madden 10. With the exception of mid-day lighting/shadow contrasts, the In-game presentation has been polished visually (but they still get some minor uniform details wrong), but the actual game-play is frustrating. The new "strategy pad" is certainly subtraction by addition. EA has had the same format for YEARS for pre-snap adjustments with the trigger buttons. This "strategy pad" changes that for no good reason at all and actually involves more button pushes and more time than the old format. This is the opposite of what they were going for in their efforts to "streamline" the game-play. Also, they decide that after 6 or 7 years of the analogue stick kicking interface, that they would go back the X button double-tap timing system. A curious move at best. Most of these changes seem like they were made for the sake of making them, with no real thought toward overall gameplay efficiency or accuracy. The new "gameflo" system is only commendable for the effort made. It is misguided and inaccurate, but i do agree with them that coaches/offensive coordinators don't come into a game with 300 plays to choose from. It seems to me that there's better ways of going about this, like selecting from your playbook a choice of 20 plays or so, and carrying them into a game with you, and that's all you have that you can call, and you select those plays based on what works well against your opponent's commonly called plays. That would also alleviate the burden of having to hear some jacknut OC tell me why he's calling a ridiculously useless play (i know, i can just turn it off. i did.).
    As for the in-game commentary, once again, i'm probably in the vast minority, but i haven't listened to that in years on any sports game, so i'm no authority there. For the sake of being fair, I'm sure it's earth-shatteringly amazing. It's probably the one thing that would change my whole outlook on this game, because it's the one thing I turn off immediately every year. I just don't think NFL football players have the TV commentary presentation playing in their helmets while they're playing the game.
    Considering I was one of the midnight release people that had had this game reserved and completely paid for a full month in advance it pains me to say, but overall, this game is a $60 roster update. In summary: meh...
  2. Sep 16, 2010
    i fell off the madden boat a few years ago but continued buying the game each year only to play it once or twice and toss it aside. this year is different between the quick game flow and the new focus on precision moves id have to say this is the best madden in years.
  3. Aug 30, 2010
    I'm really conflicted about this game. There are so many things it does right, but it screws the pooch with so many glitches. First off, everyone who claims it's just a roster update from Madden 10 is wrong. I've been playing this series for a few years now, and I must say, this is without a doubt the most overhauled Madden yet. The gameplay is smoother, faster, the controls are different, there are many changes from last year, most of them improvements.
    I love the sideline playcalling - not that I mind picking plays on my own, but it's so much fun actually listening to what your coordinator is calling for you and either going with it or changing it at the line of scrimmage - it actually adds a brand new level of realism, while also making everything quicker and easier. (Of course, the old style is also present - you can turn gameflow off and you've got complete control again).
    But the game has so many glitches, it's actually amazing the game passed QA. I just decided to stop playing for a while, until they release a patch. The biggest single-player issues are the kick returns (it's basically impossible to pass the 30 yard line, blockers don't block anyone). I won't even go describing the multiplayer issues - played 2 games and gave up for now, it's pointless. My current rating is 5/10. If you're looking for a smooth, realistic experience, you won't get it,. mostly because of the horrendous blocking, the too many broken tackles, the "MySkill" which doesn't work as it should, and many other bugs and glitches. However - I am aware that a patch might solve most of these issues. If it does, then this will be a 8/10 game at least, maybe even a 9/10.
  4. Aug 21, 2010
    Sixty dollars for a new roster, and minor updates from 10. A pass unless you really like football. Me, I'll be waiting until Madden makes a true advancement in football video games.
  5. Sep 15, 2010
    There are no improvements to Franchise or Superstar mode and the Ultimate Team mode is not even that fun anyway. Good luck wasting your money on Madden Cards that will only last you a couple of games. I'd suggest picking up Madden 10 for $20.
  6. Oct 10, 2010
    I really actually enjoy much of the game. The game play, graphics, managability of my team, etc, etc, are all pretty much what I was expecting when I purchased the game. What I wasn't prepared for were the things I wasn't expecting. The game is basically an ad. I don't want my Red Zone stats to be brought to me by Old Spice Body Wash, I don't want a Verizon Drive Summary, and I don't want any other ads popping up in the bottom right corner of the screen. Its complete BS. Either offer the game for free and pay for the development through ad revenue, or charge me $60 and give me an ad free game. But you can't do both or I get to come on meta critic and give you a 0. Fair? I think so. Expand
  7. Aug 12, 2010
    Early life
    Born in DeFuniak Springs, Florida, Anderson was raised in Channelview, Texas where his father was a high school football head coach.[3] He played quarterback for his father at Channelview.[3] Later, he played football for Sam Houston State University, where he was a two-time Academic All-American[2] and lettered four years.[3] He graduated from Houston State in 1974.[2]

[edit]Family
    He is married to Afshan and they have one child (he and his wife each have two children from previous marriages).[2] He currently resides in Sugar Land, Texas.[2]
    [edit]Other professions
    After completing his undergraduate studies at Sam Houston, he became a dentist and received a Doctorate of Dentistry from the University of Texas Dental Branch.[2] He retired from dentistry in 2003 when he was promoted to referee in the NFL.[3]
    On April 26, 2006, Anderson was named Coordinator of Football Officials for the Big 12 Conference, succeeding former NFL field judge Tim Millis in this position.[2]
  8. Aug 13, 2010
    As a football fan, I've been waiting for this game for a long time. This game is very good. The new game function, Game-Flow, is great for casuals and new Madden players while there is still a chance to play the game the conventional way. They have improved almost everything. The Madden Moments are great to replay some very good matches in the history of NFL. The on-line part is really good. The Co-op playing is fun with football fan friends. In conclusion I can recommend this game to every NFL fan. It's a good way to prepare for this year's season. Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2010
    I'm very disappointed with Madden 11. To start with, the players look terrible. They all look really thin, and look pretty much the same. If a player is big, he is the exact same shape and has the same definition as another player of a somewhat similar build. It just seems as if the players are one of three preset sizes: Big, Small, or Normal. No more, no less.

On top of that, it seems
    to me that the players are disgustingly sluggish and slow. Even fast players like T.O., Adrian Peterson, and Devin Hester seem to be terribly slow. The GAMEflow play calling addition is annoying to say the least. It is too difficult to navigate the audibles and set a different play if you don't like the play the game chooses for you. Additionally, the standard play calling interface is unwieldy and cumbersome. I think Madden hit its stride with 2007, 2008, and 2009. These past two years just seem like they are trying to hard to make it different, when most everyone that enjoys Madden will play the newest one regardless of "upgrades" to gameplay. My final complaint is that Madden NFL 11 should've probably been named "The Drew Brees Show." Not only do they have the ridiculous intro movie narrated by him, they show that silly pregame ritual that he involves his teammates in at the beginning of each game played involving the Saints, but he is also rated a "99." A rating I feel should be reserved for players of "All-Time great" caliber (ie. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, etc.) All-time greatness is an achievement Drew Brees has yet to acquire. He is most likely a hall of famer, but I feel it a bit pretentious to give a player that is part of ONE Super Bowl winning team such special treatment. He wasn't able to much of anything worth note in San Diego, thus he no longer plays for them. Someone who is rated a "99" should probably be a "99" every year for any team. Collapse
  10. Aug 18, 2010
    This is a wonderful new addition to the Madden series. New game modes, graphics, and updates made Madden a better game. In-fact, one of the great reasons to get this game is that there are new key additions to the visual gameplay. The game shows everything from players celebrating, or stomping off the field. However, there aren't anything else besides that, Besides the few tweaks, every year is the same thing. That's why i give the game a 8 out of 10. Expand
  11. Jul 17, 2011
    I have to admit,I wrote a review for Madden 10 saying that no game has come close to espn 2k5 and I was right until now.Madden 11 really is the best football game ever made by a long shot.I still would put 2K5 up to all other football games as it's the champ but Madden 11 is so freaking good it's but perfect for a football game.I love the 2011 sport games there all but perfect in every way.For this game the only thing that is so minor and is wrong is that it's so gorgeous that the 360 version stutters just a bit but not enough to lower my score.Madden you have done it,,,Finally,,,perfection in football gaming! Expand
  12. Aug 21, 2010
    Not sure I've played a game with so many issues at release before. I will say that the single player game play sure is an improvement from previous versions of Madden, so much that I tried to purchase some coins to use in game. But then I had an issue where my transaction got lost and I had to go through a customer service whirlwind to get my issue resolved. This issue, with the constant game lockups and poor multiplayer game play left me wondering if I had made a wise choice with my purchase. Maybe in the future the ridiculous lag in multiplayer, lack of ability to complete a game in multiplayer and real money lost somewhere in the void of the internet wont be an issue.. but until then, I would say pass. Expand
  13. Aug 25, 2010
    I love how people play the game for 5 minutes and write a review. At first, I didnt like it either. Once you get into the new controls and get used to the game, its great! Ill admit, it is a little glitchy at times, but its better than the last 3 that came out.
  14. Aug 30, 2010
    This is definitely the best Madden of the last 5 releases or so. There are many updates that make getting this worth it, more updates than is usual with this series. There are some serious glitches here and there, but nothing that will stop your game. Overall, as a long time Madden fan, I'd say that this game breathes new life into what was becoming a very stale series. Great job!
  15. Mar 3, 2011
    you know what? freek the critics, madden11 brought us 2k5 boys in and helped us understand ... now thanks to drew brees, payton manning, i understand how to break down somebody defense... madden woulda crashed if they didn't help me... i didn't understand 8, 9, or 10.... i'ma beast at 11... i neeeded madden11 to help me understand if u don't like it f u... its awesome bro....
  16. Nov 2, 2010
    While there's nothing bad about it per se... You might as well just update your Madden 10 rosters, because while the game may have different features, it's still the same old madden. You'd honestly be better off paying 10 bucks for another year of an EA online pass.
  17. Sep 10, 2010

On top of that, it seems

1. Jan 9, 2011
    Aside from the new dpad mapping, gameflow and some new graphic elements, there aren't too many innovations in this last chapter. It seems that the best football simulator is getting hard to update.
  2. There is so much to like and so little to dislike this year, that if given a chance, I can't see how any true football fan can't find a way to experience Madden football this year and have nothing but a good time.
    But I do know that, unlike most years, I really feel the improvements instead of just reading about them in a press release or seeing them on the back of the box. And when it comes to Madden, that's as big a difference as I've felt in half a decade.