5.5

1. Dec 15, 2011
    7 year old graphics, flawed game play, and lack of any legitimately progressive content makes madden 12 what madden 11, 10, 9, 8 and 7 were not worth their price tag....by a LONG SHOT. The exclusivity deal EA has with the NFL has ruined football video games for nearly the past 10 years and it will remain this way until their is competition in the genre once more. EA is happy to rest on7 year old graphics, flawed game play, and lack of any legitimately progressive content makes madden 12 what madden 11, 10, 9, 8 and 7 were not worth their price tag....by a LONG SHOT. The exclusivity deal EA has with the NFL has ruined football video games for nearly the past 10 years and it will remain this way until their is competition in the genre once more. EA is happy to rest on their laurels and rake in cash as they monopolize a very lucrative video game category. This laurel resting is evident in the amount of clipping and awkward player interactions that occur in the game. Interceptions will frustrate and baffle you as you watch the opponent reach through your receiver to make the interception. The blurred edges on all the players when the camera is zoomed out will make you feel like you are playing on a playstation 1. The "3D" grass that has been implemented will make you laugh at how pathetic it looks. Your 10th franchise game in a row where it is raining (glitch EA has decided to leave unfixed) will make you sigh deeply with your head in your hands. The inability of your quarterback to complete deep passes will annoy you. Ultimately, if you end up only wasting 60 bucks on this game you should consider yourself lucky, considering how much it might cost to replace a plasma TV that has had a fist go through it. Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2011
    I'll have to go with a 7 because technically it's not a bad game but it's the same rehashed game but with seemingly more glitches. There are multiple trophies that are glitched and even invisible players! Not lying, I've had my D linemen go invisible probably 6-7 times already, sometimes just 1 guys, sometimes 2-3. There"s the normal gameplay glitches like when throwing verticals and hailI'll have to go with a 7 because technically it's not a bad game but it's the same rehashed game but with seemingly more glitches. There are multiple trophies that are glitched and even invisible players! Not lying, I've had my D linemen go invisible probably 6-7 times already, sometimes just 1 guys, sometimes 2-3. There"s the normal gameplay glitches like when throwing verticals and hail mary's it just becomes a **** of 8 people wherever you throw the ball. I'm glad I rented. Also very pissed that you can basically buy the platinum trophy by paying money for hall of famers in MUT mode and you could've paid $25 and got the game 3 days early and earned trophies. Such **** imo but that's EA for you. Expand
  3. Sep 9, 2011
    Madden and EA have missed the mark for the fifth year in a row. With little improvements to game play and presentation Madden 12 is a big disappointment. It's easy to overlook the good things because there are so many few good things about this game. For example, multiplayer has been updated but single player seems to be neglected by EA. How many more years are they going to make a poorMadden and EA have missed the mark for the fifth year in a row. With little improvements to game play and presentation Madden 12 is a big disappointment. It's easy to overlook the good things because there are so many few good things about this game. For example, multiplayer has been updated but single player seems to be neglected by EA. How many more years are they going to make a poor showing of Madden. Other problems are, too many glitches with commentary by Gus Johnson (not his fault). Sounds in the game are unclear and unfinished. And also the graphics haven't got a makeover in years. So folks this one is a no no, do not buy unless your a hardcore football fan like me and have little choice if you want to play football on the console. EA we are all waiting for a better Madden game. Expand
  4. Sep 1, 2011
    The game is a lot of fun as always but there were definitely some issues. The one that bothers me the most is the horribly ugly cheerleaders. The 8 bit Temco Bowl had better cheerleaders. Overall the game is fun and Madden fans will be happy but there are some issues that just make the game a 7.
  5. Aug 31, 2011
    draft classes do not import properly meaning i have essentially wasted 3 months with ncaa, and that madden franchise is essentially non existent to me. i would have preferred to not buy either game had i known.
  6. Sep 2, 2011
    No real changes made, just the same game with bits and part from the previous ones. Graphics are well below most games made a few years ago. Same errors such as clipping issues, players teleporting.. just a shame.
  7. Jan 5, 2012
    Not buying this again unless 2K sports gets rights to make their game. EA is a bunch of lazy turds. How many glitches can one game have? Commentary sucks (calling players the wrong name). Game physics are terrible (passes caught on the hash register as incomplete). Constant audio pops that made me think my sound system was broken, but then I realized it was just crap Madden.
  8. Sep 3, 2011
    This is the best Madden to date. The graphics look great. The AI is smarter. There are a few glitches, but other than that this game is fantastic. This is a must buy for any football fan.
  9. Oct 24, 2011
    The game is good but they have not really changed much since Madden 06, which was the last Madden I played. Madden 12 is still a lot of fun but it uses the same gameplay mechanics as Madden 06. The Graphics are much better but gameplay is not vastly improved.
  10. Sep 8, 2011
    There are some notable improvements to the franchise mode. However, the commentary is completely broken, and as such made the game far less enjoyable to me than it could have been.
    The announcers should never say that my Tight End is a great quarterback, likewise, the 20 yard line is not "excellent field position" as they often state. I don't think it would have been all that hard to have the commentators say something other than talk about homefield advantage at the start of every single game as well. Overall, the game plays much better, but with all the work that they did to make it feel more like an actual NFL game, the fact that the commentary is noticeably worse than last years game makes me like this game far less than I would have.

Perhaps they need to hire some voice actors instead of big names so they can actually take the time to have a commentary instead of simply recycling a lot of the commentary from games past.
  11. Sep 5, 2011
    The most realistic football game ever made. This game feels like they have finally been able to get the defense, passing and running all perfect. Qbs perform like they should with badly rated players easily getting picked off by aggressive high rated defenders. A must for any madden fan. Great improvements and really fun.
  12. May 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a word... it's okay. And that's a terrible thing to be judged as on a franchise that's already on it's nth iteration. After over 6 years, this game should be excellent... but it's only okay. Clearly EA aren't bothering to spend money on this game, since other "12" branded games are far better. The graphics are old (and I mean really old); the single-player mode is pretty weak; it's slow to load etc etc and it just goes on and on. Unfortunately, EA have stopped making this for PC, which means that the graphics are going to stay old, and they're never going to put any more effort into developing the game. Madden 13? Why would you bother? Expand
  13. Jan 21, 2012
    A really poor game. I'd had a lot of fun playing Madden 06 on the PS2 whenever I visited my dad. I'm visiting home again and we decided to split the cost of a PS3 and Madden 12. Such a dissappointing game. There seems a real lack of control over the players when selected, especially on defence. The sound is appalling, the home crowd seem to get quieter as the game progresses, even if theyA really poor game. I'd had a lot of fun playing Madden 06 on the PS2 whenever I visited my dad. I'm visiting home again and we decided to split the cost of a PS3 and Madden 12. Such a dissappointing game. There seems a real lack of control over the players when selected, especially on defence. The sound is appalling, the home crowd seem to get quieter as the game progresses, even if they are winning. Despite the full stadium it frequently sounds like you are playing in the park to a crowd of 4 people. There is no excitement during a big play, from either commentators or crowd, turnovers, touchdowns and interceptions are greeted with the same enthusiasm as 3 yards and a cloud of dust. There is no clear signal that you've even lost possession or perhaps managed to stay in bounds. A number of occassions after 4th down plays I've been unsure who even has possession, a simple graphic saying turnover or a commentator saying 'He didn't make it' would be a great help! Selecting plays is a chore, Example, 2 minute warning, 3 points down, just recieved the ball, go to the play selection screen and your formation is automatically showing goalline! Back you go to select another more useful formation. I don't play any of the other game modes, just head to head against my father and one of the things we both liked about Madden 06 was the user head to head records, we could see who ran the most who had the better 3rd %, and more importantly who'd won the most games, unfortunately for some reason this user record feature is absent.. This has been an eye opener, I also play EA's FIFA which has different but similarly significant problems. It seems, with no real competition, that EA is becoming decidedly complacent. I for one will be looking for and supporting alternatives from now on. Expand
  14. Sep 16, 2011
    A step up from last year. Franchise mode and gameplay are much improved. although scouting feature is pretty useless. I've had no problems with online play so far but am dissapointed they ignored online franchise mode which for me held it back from being a 10.
  15. Sep 3, 2011
    Madden NFL 12. It's here and frankly not a wait worth while. When I played the demo I thought this game was going to be great. The demo however only showed the great parts of the game and hid certain elements of the full game that made it what it is. The good things about the game are the enhanced graphics, real life feel, and the small added touches in every part of the game. TheMadden NFL 12. It's here and frankly not a wait worth while. When I played the demo I thought this game was going to be great. The demo however only showed the great parts of the game and hid certain elements of the full game that made it what it is. The good things about the game are the enhanced graphics, real life feel, and the small added touches in every part of the game. The graphics look very realistic especially the grass and turf during close ups. The fact that they try to make it like a game you'd watch on T.V is cool but can be easily annoying at times. The added elements are there but are so small that buying this game is unnecessary if you already have Madden NFL 11. EA Sports is failing to fix the major problems and add major features to the series. The biggest problems as I see as I play long are finicky ball physics, lame and glitchy commentating, and the A.I is inconsistent and full of glitches. For example I'm playing a season as the Bills. Week 2 I faced the Raiders and had a very difficult game and only won by a field goal. I then traveled back home and faced the Patriots and smoked them out. Tom Brady threw 4 interceptions and had 3 sacks. This continues through out the Franchise and needs serious attention. The ball physics are very odd to say the least. I go to throw the ball just before I get hit and the ball flies around the line scrimmage like a rubber ball. The commentating is incredibly annoying. Every game I play in my Franchise Chris Collinsworth says "leading the way, wide receiver Steve Johnson." This is every game within the first quarter! It feels unoriginal and scripted and as if the commentating was recorded on CD and replayed the same for every game. EA Sports needs to completely re-boot the game from scratch and make one hell of a comeback next year because since Madden NFL 09 everything feels the same with just minor add-ons. Expand
  16. Sep 3, 2011
    Pros
    -Tackling is better
    -No sprint is a good thing -Music is o.k. -Scouting college players is done well. The combine stats should be available, but I like that they give you a guess on their ratings. Cons -Control is worse than last year. Control is actually downright terrible. -Graphics are more arcade looking... worse than last year -Menus look more like a street fighter game. Worse
    Pros
    -Tackling is better
    -No sprint is a good thing
    -Music is o.k.

Cons
    -Control is worse than last year. Control is actually downright terrible.
    -Graphics are more arcade looking... worse than last year
    -Menus look more like a street fighter game. Worse than last year
    -Commentary is unchanged from last year, they didn't even fix the mispronounced names (there are a lot of them)
    -Even more glitches. They didn't fix any of the old gameplay glitches that I can tell, and added many more glitches.
    -20 or 30 common events cause the game to freeze for a couple seconds before running correctly.
    -Player traits don't do anything if the player is on defense, offensive line, or wideout. Player traits for qb's and rb's do some stuff. If a qb or rb is hot then they are unstoppable.
    -It almost feels like there is no point in controlling a defensive player, the control is so bad for db's that you can't use them. Using a linebacker only good for blitzing. Using a defensive lineman is largely detrimental as player controlled d-lineman get pancaked more than usual.
    -Animations of the stadiums are glitchy (you can see through dome animations quite often)
    -All the presentation add-ons (Teams running out on to the field) become annoying after playing 2 games. Pointless.
    -Kicking meter is worse than it's ever been. On top of this, kicking is now shown from a side angle, which is annoying.
    -Long animations of the offense walking to the line before a play gives you less time to adjust at the line (offense or defense). This animation is pointless and bland, and takes away from gameplay.
    -Player of the game is chosen seemingly at random. A quarterback can throw 5 touchdowns and a cornerback from the losing team with 1 tackle and nothing else will win player of the game.
    -The fumble plague has returned to Madden.
    -Dropped picks happen too often, then all of a sudden, a guy will teleport to pick the ball off.
    -Players sliding and teleporting is down, but still very noticeable in every game.
    -Still too many plays in the playbook that are completely worthless.
    -Ball still passes through body parts on it's way to a receiver.

Summary
    I'm done with madden. I was able to tweak madden 11 to the point where it was challenging and fun. But the presentation and gameplay of this one is more like Blitz as presented by Madden, with all of Madden's glitches and downfalls. I've played 10 games and I'm already certain i'm going to trade it in for dead island.
  17. Sep 10, 2011
    meh.

Pros: NFL is back... Fixed some of the defense issues... and tons of replay value (virtually identical tho if you have last years game) Cons: EVERYTHING else... the commentary is HORRENDOUS, the game mechanics are sketchy at best, and aside from minimal tweaks its the exact same game as 11' ps: The default roster is HORRIBLY outdated (I'm assuming this can be updated but I haven't
    meh.

ps: The default roster is HORRIBLY outdated (I'm assuming this can be updated but I haven't seen anything yet)
  18. Nov 9, 2011
    I can't believe EA still gets away with this. The SAME GAME every single year. This is worse than CoD games. I wish I could enjoy these games, I love football. But, I'm not spending a $60 a year for a subscription service. If I'm going to spend that much per year I might as well get the NFL Sunday Ticket package. All they do is update line-ups. Change some numbers around on differentI can't believe EA still gets away with this. The SAME GAME every single year. This is worse than CoD games. I wish I could enjoy these games, I love football. But, I'm not spending a $60 a year for a subscription service. If I'm going to spend that much per year I might as well get the NFL Sunday Ticket package. All they do is update line-ups. Change some numbers around on different player's stats, and BAM! You have a new game. I can't even buy this used because of EA's horrible online pass. All they need to do to fix these problems is have a fee, maybe $15-$20 per year, for DLC, to update the rosters. But they have a better plan. Trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of you. Not only is it expensive, it is a waste of plastic. When the new Madden comes out, why play an outdated one? I'm tired of going to used game shops and seeing 2 big shelves full of madden 11, another 2 full of Madden 10, and so on. They are being sold for like $10 used, and no one is going to buy them. Whenever I go to a retro game shop, I also see mountains of used Madden 96 on sale for a quarter each! Please stop supporting this company. EA, just like Activision are what's wrong with the video game industry. Expand
  19. Nov 10, 2011
    Love this game! Huge upgrade from the last. Tackling is better passing game made more real. Online play is pretty good you still get people who don't play football they just blitz or never punt stuff like that but you can neg rate them and play within your own rating. Good Game Cool new madden moments as long as you have online.
  20. Nov 11, 2011
    Like most madden games it is the same game as last year with a couple of tweaks to gameplay. The tackeling is more realistic and the pass defense is much improved. I only play on all Madden and if you thrown into coverage you will pay dearly. That combined with the smaller passing windows makes it the most dificult madden yet. You can't just march up and down the field. Running hasLike most madden games it is the same game as last year with a couple of tweaks to gameplay. The tackeling is more realistic and the pass defense is much improved. I only play on all Madden and if you thrown into coverage you will pay dearly. That combined with the smaller passing windows makes it the most dificult madden yet. You can't just march up and down the field. Running has also been improved on last year.

That said those are the only real changes made. Franchise mode has been tweaked slightly but online franchise mode, my favorite mode in theory, has not been adjusted from last year. The computer still cuts and resigns players and there is never a free agent you want to sign.
  21. Dec 26, 2011
    As usual, this game feels just like last year's, and has the same repetitive and disjointed dialog.

There are some annoying tendencies like the ability for linebackers to teleport to the ball if they are in zone and the ball is 3-4 feet away, and there still aren't any female fans in the entire stadiums outside of a few generic cutscenes between plays. However, there aren't any major

However, there aren't any major bugs or glitch that adversely affect gameplay in a negative fashion, and there isn't anything incredibly annoying in my opinion. There have also been upgrades in Franchise Mode that are nice to see, including the ability to trade future draft picks and edit player ratings mid-season.

EA has the monopoly on NFL licensed video games since they screwed over 2K Sports, so don't expect these games to change much from year to year. If you want an NFL game with the updated rosters, buy it. If you want a football game that's decent, look for another game.. but you'll have to settle with non-NFL teams.
  22. Jan 2, 2012
    this game can be fun if your really into football. the best improvement is superstar.. back in madden 06 i loved superstar and thats all i played.. in 09 it started sucking and i only started playing franshise. the fact that they made superstar better makes the lasting appeal much better
  23. Jan 21, 2012
    Significantly less frustrating than NCAA Football 12, this is a very fun football game and the rookie scouting thing is cool. Although I feel like that makes it too easy though, I can have a team who's entire starting roster is 90+ with A potential in like 3-5 seasons, depending on what team I start with. Also I don't know if it's different for everyone else but it seems to me likeSignificantly less frustrating than NCAA Football 12, this is a very fun football game and the rookie scouting thing is cool. Although I feel like that makes it too easy though, I can have a team who's entire starting roster is 90+ with A potential in like 3-5 seasons, depending on what team I start with. Also I don't know if it's different for everyone else but it seems to me like importing a graduating class from NCAA doesn't work. I enjoy this game none the less though Expand
  24. Mar 9, 2012
    Madden 12 suffers from the same problem as ncaa football 12. Great presentation is bogged down by overly talented defensive backs who will intercept a pass five feet abovee their head. The linebackers can jump higher then michael jordan and refuse to drop a pass. Offenses struggle in this game and you will too if you can get a pass game going. Do yourself a favor and pass on this game andMadden 12 suffers from the same problem as ncaa football 12. Great presentation is bogged down by overly talented defensive backs who will intercept a pass five feet abovee their head. The linebackers can jump higher then michael jordan and refuse to drop a pass. Offenses struggle in this game and you will too if you can get a pass game going. Do yourself a favor and pass on this game and but Madden 10. Expand
  25. Apr 19, 2012
    A few months ago, I pledged to start following the NFL closely and adopt it as a second sport, behind football. I didnâ
  26. Sep 1, 2012
    Man, did I get a lot of play out of this game. The best Madden entry yet. I bought '08, and it sucked. God it sucked. This one was a gamble for me. I hadn't played football games since '08. I thought, am I too far behind? Will I get creamed even on absolute rookie mode? Well, if you have played real football, or watched football, or even watched breakdown on Sportscenter, then youMan, did I get a lot of play out of this game. The best Madden entry yet. I bought '08, and it sucked. God it sucked. This one was a gamble for me. I hadn't played football games since '08. I thought, am I too far behind? Will I get creamed even on absolute rookie mode? Well, if you have played real football, or watched football, or even watched breakdown on Sportscenter, then you understand football enough to call plays proper in this game. Football is strategy. This game capitalizes on that basic idea and principal. It, pardon the pun, takes the ball and runs with it. I had lots of fun. That's correct, fun. I can't believe I had fun with a football game. I didn't think it possible. Madden has a history of closing out newcomers of the game. Absolutely user-unfriendly, many of the titles are. Not 12. I asked a friend at work, who bought the game six months after it came out(as did I), what he thought. He said it was accessible, un-like previous offerings. I couldn't believe that two people thought the same thing. That's why this game is great. The only thing that MIGHT be better? Madden 13. Expand
  27. Dec 11, 2012
    This game follows the same path that all madden games seem to follow, being that they are almost exact copies of each other, only each newer edition has a graphics update or some random new feature. The sooner EA loses its contract to be the sole developer of NFL games, the sooner competition will force the Madden series to become better.
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    Take a look at 2K Sports for play by play, commentary and stats... they're doing somethng right. EA has obviously become compacent when it comes to Madden and it certainly gleens through.
  29. Mar 22, 2013
    I love Madden. They are basically the only game franchise that I can count on every next to CoD and Assassin's Creed. However, I believe they missed the mark on Madden 12. Yes the graphics are good, better than they've ever been, but that's pretty much all I can say that's new or good. The two things that upset me the most about this game are the commentators and the soundtrack. TheyI love Madden. They are basically the only game franchise that I can count on every next to CoD and Assassin's Creed. However, I believe they missed the mark on Madden 12. Yes the graphics are good, better than they've ever been, but that's pretty much all I can say that's new or good. The two things that upset me the most about this game are the commentators and the soundtrack. They really need to get rid of Gus. He tries way too hard to be dramatic and he just annoys me. In my opinion, this is the worst soundtrack the series has ever had. I only liked about 4 songs on the whole game compared to the usual 10 or more on the others. Madden just needs to change, plain and simple. Expand
  30. Apr 19, 2012

1. Several new features also make franchise play more rewarding: Madden vets will greatly appreciate the faster free-agent bidding process, which creates more tension between teams and preseason roster cuts also add a more human element. [Nov 2011, p.84]
  2. Oct 4, 2011
    It could - probably should - look better, but it's ridiculously deep and authentic with loads to do, both online and off. [Nov 2011, p.101]
  3. Sep 30, 2011
    It's a solid game but one which bears too many similarities to previous versions for us to wholeheartedly recommend it.