3.9

1. Aug 29, 2013
    So I have had the chance to dive in on Madden NFL 25 for a few days now and would have to say that its a giant leap forward for Madden going into the next gen. The infinity engine has been super polished giving you a much better experience than Madden 13. You may occasionally get a player piled up on a player, resulting in not being down. But not as much of the crazy leg, stumbling actionSo I have had the chance to dive in on Madden NFL 25 for a few days now and would have to say that its a giant leap forward for Madden going into the next gen. The infinity engine has been super polished giving you a much better experience than Madden 13. You may occasionally get a player piled up on a player, resulting in not being down. But not as much of the crazy leg, stumbling action like last year.

Run free seems to be a big addition to the game. But I feel it still needs more tuning. Even on the skills trainer when asked to attempt certain features, it does not ALWAYS work. I'm not saying it DOESN'T work. Just not all the time.

Offensively I don't like that a LB or DE can run down a fast WR or RB. Even when you know you should be able to break the corner freely but instead you get caught from behind. I really like the new audible/hot route system. It helps eliminates the un-sim realism that so many gamers try to abuse. Thus giving you a more realistic experience. The pass trajectories are nice! Finally it feels like a lob is a lob and a bullet is a bullet. The ability to lead a target has also been tuned giving you a greater opportunity to catch the ball.

Defensively I think Man Coverage has downgraded. Too many times you find your defense getting beat on the pass b/c a defender was beat on a cut and couldn't recover fast enough. Then if you play zone, your defender won't continue his responsibilities. He just stops at the end of the route rather then continuing to drop back with the WR, TE or RB.

Screen pop-ups are annoying at times! You will get a statistic pop-up (ex: 3rd down percentage) and it will cover a huge portion of your screen. And when the game is on the line, this becomes a huge distraction. I'm not sure if this can be turned off or not. Custom PLAYBOOKS and MADDEN SHARE are AWESOME! Now you can take your game to the next level by using the same strategy as some of the top Madden ballers! I also like the fact that your opponent can not see what playbooks you are using during the selection screen. Prevents them from knowing how to play you.

Overall I'm giving the game a 8. Some future patches may help some of the issue I'm concerned with but overall Madden NFL 25 on current gen is without a doubt probably the best Madden to date. Hopefully there is more to come with the Next Gen!
  2. Aug 27, 2013
    It’s that time again where guys start to ignore their girlfriends/wives a little more than usual, where going to bed with a loss is not an option, and where the obsession with the NFL is not only felt on Thursdays, Sundays, and Monday but every day. It’s Madden NFL 25 release and this year it’s not just a ‘Roster Update’. Madden 25 features some improvements and features including OwnersIt’s that time again where guys start to ignore their girlfriends/wives a little more than usual, where going to bed with a loss is not an option, and where the obsession with the NFL is not only felt on Thursdays, Sundays, and Monday but every day. It’s Madden NFL 25 release and this year it’s not just a ‘Roster Update’. Madden 25 features some improvements and features including Owners Mode, Precision Run modifiers, Infinity 2.0, foot plating improvement that will have the casual fans pleased and the hardcore fans asking for more.

Before we continue, I must confess that I’m a hardocre Madden player. I’ve been playing Madden for 25 years and I’ve played over 300 online ranked games last year and that’s not including the games I played in Online Communities and un-ranked games. So if you are looking for a review from a casual fan perspective then this review might not be the one for you, but if you are a hardcore fan like me then keep on reading.

Gameplay

Pros Infinity Engine 2.0, Force Impact System, Improved Running Game, Improved Blocking, foot planting, precision modifiers

Cons Defense lacking, pass pocket not there yet, inconsistent pass pressure

Presentation

Pros TD celebrations, better commentary, new zoom camera, stadium sounds in between plays

Cons Looks like M13,

CFM/Owners Mode

Pros Best franchise mode ever, relocate team, tons of tasks for owners, position changes, import ncaa 14 draft classes

Cons CFM website lacking commish controls, no customization of logos or team name or uniforms

In conclusion the 25 years of Madden has sparked some innovation throughout the years and the EA Tiburon Studio did a pretty good job of following up Madden 13 when it comes to Madden NFL 25. There needs to be more balance to the gameplay, zones are terrible as players lose discipline and don’t follow WRs through their zone, and WRs block too well. The offense is still a little overpowered with the new additions to the running game, but with the addition of owner mode, you’ll spend more time running your team than running your RB in a game. The addition of Owner Mode in CFM is a welcomed addition, but the lack of commissioner controls have hardcore fans scratching their head.

Madden NFL 25 doesn’t look like a lot from first glance, but when you put the controller in your hand and start playing you’ll be glad you didn’t make a judgement on just looks.
  3. Aug 29, 2013
    EA has refined and polished what was introduced last year with the infinity engine, and it feels like one of the most complete games for a Madden game in the last decade.

The User Interface is intuitive and brilliant. Mobile Quarterbacks also have a slurry of new moves with the addition of Total Control Passing. Also a bunch of new plays and formations with the influx of the pistol sets into the NFL!

Owner Mode made some huge upgrades with the ability to fully control your franchise from top to bottom (literally). Setting prices for everything at the stadium, moving your team to a new city, create new uniforms and more. This upgraded Owner Mode is a much waited Godsend for the hardcore Madden fans that really want the entire NFL experience as an NFL Executive.

If you haven't bought Madden in a few years there hasn’t been a much better time to hop back on this Madden Bandwagon, they have assembled a great Dev Team I believe this series will continue to trend upward for years to come.

So grab a cold beer (or cola) and Madden 25 and remember who told you about this year’s great game.

~G-Unit (David)
  4. Aug 27, 2013
    I will refrain from the typical this is the "Best Madden to date" review because the same people saying it its the best are the loudest ones crying in a 3 months, but I will say this. The game is very polished visually. Graphics are were they should be for current gen. The gameplay feels great in terms of how all the new engines come together. Add the new moves and precisions moves itsI will refrain from the typical this is the "Best Madden to date" review because the same people saying it its the best are the loudest ones crying in a 3 months, but I will say this. The game is very polished visually. Graphics are were they should be for current gen. The gameplay feels great in terms of how all the new engines come together. Add the new moves and precisions moves its def a step up from previous Madden titles. The only negative is the game doesnt flow fluidly with the controller in my opinion. I dont feel like I have much control over the ball carrier and find myself mushing buttons to make highlights happen. Besides that Menus are improved and the speed at which you flow through the menus is very much improved. I give the game a 9 because I love the game and my problems with how the game feels thru the sticks may just be adjusting from 13 to 25. The bottom line is if you buy this game to feed your competitive appetite you wont be able to give the game a breather for a few moths. ENJOY!!! Expand
  5. Aug 27, 2013
    Madden 25 is hardly a worthy celebration for such a storied franchise. While many reviewers believe the changes made this year were granular in nature, I couldn’t disagree more. I feel strongly the development team shot for the moon, but failed to secure the shuttle before doing so. By ignoring the development of many fundamental facets of both gameplay and franchise mode, the gameMadden 25 is hardly a worthy celebration for such a storied franchise. While many reviewers believe the changes made this year were granular in nature, I couldn’t disagree more. I feel strongly the development team shot for the moon, but failed to secure the shuttle before doing so. By ignoring the development of many fundamental facets of both gameplay and franchise mode, the game struggles to impress despite some very nice additions.

It is worth noting, however, that many of the gameplay concerns can be resolved through slider adjustments, which seem to all work this year. While it’s important to recognize the functionality of sliders, it’s even more important to ensure they don’t become a crutch for developers. Sliders should be a tool to make subtle changes based on player preference, not to make major changes out of necessity.

The game, to me, continues to reward stick skills, while discounting strategy. Most frustrating is the fact that some of these game play decisions can’t be blamed on the current generation of hardware, as NCAA Football 14 does them much better. This leads me to believe that the emphasis was off for the Madden team as it seems they built a game that has some great looking bullet points on the back of the box, but fails to deliver on the field.

Hits

+ Infinity Engine 2.0 is a huge upgrade over last year’s version
    + Owner mode is well executed and an overall blast
    + Improved blocking logic, foot planting, and the precision modifier make the running game a blast

Misses

- Coverage on the whole is horrendous
    - The offensive line is far too dominant
    - Contract renegotiations and free agency remain stale and unrealistic
  6. Aug 27, 2013
    Madden 25 has hit the shelves and by far has been the best Madden franchise game released to date. With the ALL new engine, it provides the most powerful running attack that one can ask for! The different animation catches that you see and the dive tackling system gives madden 25 a great boost. And lets not forget about the all new Skill trainer that will give you the edge once you perfectMadden 25 has hit the shelves and by far has been the best Madden franchise game released to date. With the ALL new engine, it provides the most powerful running attack that one can ask for! The different animation catches that you see and the dive tackling system gives madden 25 a great boost. And lets not forget about the all new Skill trainer that will give you the edge once you perfect each and every skill set.
    Connect Franchise Mode has took a 360 degree improvement verse last yr. Connected Career mode.
    As we continue to put In the long hours on the gridiron, we are yet to see what else easports has for us with NexGen gaming coming soon. Good Job easports!
  7. Aug 29, 2013
    I have been reading some of the "reviews" posted on Metacritic from users about Madden NFL 25 and I have to say it's a travesty that people who obviously haven't even played the game are able to submit reviews in an attempt to keep the scores low. These are people who have clearly not even played the game and are just reading off the features list submitted to the press.

After nearly 3

After nearly 3 weeks of play time I would say that Madden NFL 25 is hands down the top down of football gaming. No other game has even come close! No other sports game has a career mode that has the depth of Connected Franchise Mode. Taking over as the the owner and crafting your team/stadium/Coaching staff to build a winner is a great experience. On the game play side of things we are finally seeing the attempt to help differentiate between players with the tiered special moves from the precision modifier controls. Overall this is a very good game with only a few negatives (not enough defensive improvements for one) that will keep true football fans happy all year long. True football fans and students of the game must have this!
  8. Sep 2, 2013
    With next-gen consoles coming in a couple of months I didn't expect to see changes with the game BUT I DID. Of course it's not perfect but after last year the transition is decent. Last year you could not run the ball without tripping over your lineman. This year with foot-planting can ensure your runner can possibly break a tackle or two!

Connected Franchise Mode is a blessing in

Connected Franchise Mode is a blessing in itself with the return of owner mode! Also online EA SPORTS gave commissioners the ability to reset cap penalties!

All in all EA SPORTS delivers in this current gen and shows promise for next-gen outside of a few mishaps I think that will be corrected in the near future
  9. Sep 5, 2013
    I tried to give this game all I had before I reviewed ot and it helped me keep it fair to the work they've obviously put into this game. Infinity engine 2 is way better but still weird. A lot of people are complaining about the defense but if you know your team and plays you can position your players manually. I tired of kids who pick the same plays saying the D sucks you are picking theI tried to give this game all I had before I reviewed ot and it helped me keep it fair to the work they've obviously put into this game. Infinity engine 2 is way better but still weird. A lot of people are complaining about the defense but if you know your team and plays you can position your players manually. I tired of kids who pick the same plays saying the D sucks you are picking the wrong defense that's all. Also love all the new spread plays and now I can use my beloved Carolina Panthers effectively. I love it!!!! Also online at first was lagging pretty hard but the last couple of nights its been great. Have to rate it a nine because it is definetly the best playing Madden this generation. My only gripe and not a huge deal but why does NCAA have a decent haltime show and great stat overlays but Madden doesn't and the replays are just terrible on a long pass all it shows is the reciever cathing the ball that's was a miss but not a big deal. Anyways just get it and meet me online I'm shawnomite just the same as on here. Last thing the Panthers are rated way too low but if they can get on a roll I guess that will change with updates. Let's get it!!go Panthers!! Expand
  10. Sep 3, 2013
    Madden NFL 25 hit stores last week, and I just wanted to run down some of the pros and cons.

Pros * The run game is as fun as it ever has been with the updated Infinity Engine. It rewards you for making the right decisions on cuts, jukes, and when to use that extra burst of speed. * Owner mode within a Connected Careers is a nice addition for comparing and contrasting with your

Pros

* Owner mode within a Connected Careers is a nice addition for comparing and contrasting with your friends on what you're doing to improve where you are or if you decide to relocate.

* While I still wish for more depth in the commentary, it is much improved over the past few years. I will actually listen to it during some franchise games, when I would never have the audio on in the past.

* Ultimate Team is still a great mode. The cards look really sharp and there are a great variety off the bat even before the season begins. There are a TON of solo challenges to do, and the Head to Head Seasons mode that was first made famous on FIFA is the biggest addition. There is so much to do, and so much more coming on the way.

* Downloading of community files is a great addition. Find a great set of sliders from someone you know, you can just download it from them instead of manually having to enter them in. Same goes for a great custom playbook.

Cons

* The owner mode addition to franchise is a nice re-addition to the game, and fun to talk about when you're competing with friends on Connected Careers, but it could use a lot more depth to make it more enjoyable for all users.

* Freezing is running rampant in the game right now, hopefully a fix is on the way soon. It has really turned off a lot of gamers.

* Menus are slick and responsive on the front end, but still really laggy in Connected Careers.

* The defense is a little tighter than NCAA, but still needs a lot of work. Especially with zone defense.

* They should have brought the coin formula from NCAA's Ultimate Team over to Madden's. It was a perfect balance where you could play a fair amount and still earn coins for new packs or auction items. The amount given, especially on head to head games seems to be half of what you got in NCAA.

Overall the game is a blast to play, but there are still some of the same old issues that keep it from being a perfect game. This generation of Madden is going to go off on a really good note, and hopefully they can take the next step in the next generation of consoles.
  11. Nov 5, 2013
    I don't understand why all ratings are so low? The game is very good and show a lot of progression from Madden NFL 13- better graphics and better mechanics. Really good new owner mode, trainings and etc. I give to this game 8/10, because of online. Still bad multiplayer realization and boring Ultimate Team mode
  12. Aug 29, 2013
    Madden NFL 25 adds on the momentum created in Madden NFL 13. For the seasoned Madden veteran, refinement is the name of the game. The game is strong in many categories but falls short of perfect all around.

The gift of being the only NFL Football game on the market is you get to sell to all styles of gamers. The curse is that you can't entirely perfect any aspect of the game for one particular gamer. Because of that, Madden NFL 25 meets the criteria of being a really good game in many aspects but not a perfect game in any one particular area.

Overview:
    For the casual gamer, changes to gameplay may not be as entirely evident. The intricacies of player movement, running mechanics, blocking schemes and physics as a whole have been refined to better represent what you see on the field ever Sunday.

The re-addition of owner mode adds a huge level of depth to franchise mode. In theory the mode is great the mode gives you full control over almost all aspects of franchise finances and ownership. While the level of depth is there, I can't help but feel a disconnect from the rest of the game mode. Tweaks in owner mode don't seem to drastically change the outcome of franchise and team success. This will leave the true micro-managers crying for more feedback, control and options. Raising tickets prices to astronomical levels should yield a few fans in the stands not the case in Madden. Throw up the million dollar consulting fees to Jerry Jones here, EA.

Positives:
    - Running the ball as a whole feels more rewarding and potent.
    - Offensive line play is greatly improved.
    - Infinity Engine refinements seem to make a strong contrast between superstars and bench players.
    - Online, Online, Online. Connected Franchise is deeper than ever and will provide endless replay value for those in Online CFMS. Stable EA servers make play now a fun and quick fix option.
    - New CFM online website is a great improvement to last version. Much more responsive, easier to use.
    - Return of offline franchise multiple user option.
    - Improvements to commentary their is greater depth. Keeping the same announcing team from last year and adding to the library enhances emersion.
    - Sliders for infinite gameplay customization.

Negatives:
    - Run defense suffering from increased blocking. Linebackers seem lost at times and take bad angles. Sliders help.
    - Pass defense can cause a huge level of frustration. Certain routes by WR are at times impossible to defend by season madden players without manually covering the route.
    - Commissioner controls, while enhanced, still lack key features in online CFM. Most notably is the ability to reset scores and set scores.
    - Owner mode crys from more connection with team success and in-game presentation. Changing hot dog prices is cool but the connection to team and game is blurry.

Final Thoughts:
    Barring any bias, Madden NFL 25 is the most complete game in the series to date. As a whole, M25 has navigated it's way to catering every style of Madden gamer out there. The focus on fundamentals may have an unfortunate side effect as seeming stale to the casual Madden gamer.

1. Oct 20, 2013
    Decent, but a fair way off Super Bowl calibre. [Dec 2013, p.73]
  2. Anniversary features disappoint. [Nov 2013, p.94]
  3. All-in-all the features add up to a game that is one of the best replications of the real thing thus far, especially with some top notch presentation. Just watch out for those damn ghosts. [November 2013, p83]