7.4

1. Jun 23, 2012
    Magic 2013 is a major improvement over it's predecessors. I have played the previous 2 versions on PS3 and enjoyed 10's of 100's of hours on each, but have fought with card resolution bugs, and slow load times. In this version, they have fixed the slow load times, dressed up the UI and some of the spell effects, improved the AI handling of some cards, and added new features.. The game,Magic 2013 is a major improvement over it's predecessors. I have played the previous 2 versions on PS3 and enjoyed 10's of 100's of hours on each, but have fought with card resolution bugs, and slow load times. In this version, they have fixed the slow load times, dressed up the UI and some of the spell effects, improved the AI handling of some cards, and added new features.. The game, and each duel, now load with relative speed and ease. Planechase is a fun game if you have an hour or so to play with, and a huge improvement over Archenemy, which I was not a big fan of in the 2012 version. Planechase is far more interesting and entertaining, providing constant adjustments in your game strategy.

The other multiplayer versions are still there and fun to play - 2, 3, 4 player or Two Headed Giant. The new decks are fun and entertaining, and the new ability to tap your own lands is a GREAT feature long overdue. The decks still allow customization just as ver.2012 did, but some people still complain about the lack of deck building, which I believe is unnecessary and outside the scope of this game. The game functionality and success depends upon a limited number of cards that can be tested against one another. I have about 15 hours of playtime thus far, so I have a ways to go before I unlock all the cards and play all the decks. So far I haven't noticed any card resolution bugs but we'll see as we go further into the game.

The new Player Status screen is a welcome addition to the game. I like the features, the ability to unlock new personas and features in addition to cards and decks. Great idea. I do think they could add better trophies and achievements to the game however. The previous version was really lacking, and although the new 2013 version has better trophy/achievements, they are still lacking some original ideas that can extend the life of the game. Trophies for things such as 'Bring your opponent to -50, -75, -100 Life', Finish the game with 100 Life or more, defeat your enemy with instants and sorcery attacks only, 'Death by 1000 cuts' = Kill your opponent with 1/1 creatures only. I think there is plenty or room for creative ideas here.

This game is Magic through and through. If you enjoy being able to play Magic, but don't have a lot of time, or don't have anyone to play with, this is the perfect way to go. The game is only $10 on the PS Store which is a real steal! They could charge $5 to $10 more for the base game and I would happily pay it.

1. Jul 26, 2012
    The more complex and complete approach to the card game ever made in consoles or PC. It is fun both for newcomers and seasoned players, and has enough content to keep us engaged for many hours.
  2. Jul 11, 2012
    Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 offers a really good entry for players who are new with Magic the Gathering. Even though new players will enjoy this title, the more experienced players will also get a lot of fun out of Magic 2013. Overall It's a very addictive game and offers enough fresh content for the experienced Magic player.
  3. Jul 5, 2012
    Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 is exactly what fans of the series will have come to expect: a clean-cut refinement with very few barriers to entry.