6.7

1. Dec 17, 2010
    I am completely new to magic the gathering (MTG) and I found this game to be fairly entertaining for the low price of $10. The primary reason I am giving this game an 8 out of 10 because of the fact that it only cost $10.

Gameplay: Gameplay is smooth and the controls are quick and responsive. There is a great deal of content for a $10 game. You get a solo/co-op campaign that can also be replayed and also online multiplayer, solo challenge scenarios, custom duels against the AI, unlockable cards and unlockable decks. The AI is challenging even in the easiest setting and murderous in the toughest setting. The biggest let down, even for someone new to MTG like myself, is LACK OF FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE DECKS! Even though there are no fully customizable decks (the basic cards in the deck cannot be removed), you can still win based on skill however, you have to be fortunate as well. I rate this game at 70% skill, 30% luck. Fully customizable decks would have made this game 95% skill, 5% luck.

Graphics: Graphics are a disappointing 720p. Why couldn't the developer have made the game 1080p? This is a card game, not Crysis 2. Another minor irritation is the fairly long load times. Again, this is a card game, it shouldn't have noticeable load times. To summarize: Positives: a ton of content for only $10.
    Negatives: disappointing (but serviceable) graphics, long load times, NO FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE DECKS, a disappointing introduction to MTG for new players. Every new player is going to ask, why can't I fully customize my decks? Heck, even experienced players are going to ask the same question.

Some advice to the developer and publisher: Please put in customizable decks for the sequel, jack up the price to $25, and I'll buy it I swear!
  2. Dec 10, 2010
    Good game if you like magic/card games. Delivers well, a little more options in changing the decks would have been nice. Represents the card game well.
  3. Dec 6, 2010
    This is a great implementation of the card game, but there are a few irritating problems that keep me from giving it a 10. One is the sideboard. You are allowed to swap unlocked cards in and out of your sideboard, but not the cards of the basic deck. This defeats the whole purpose of a sideboard! Why did they even waste their time programming such a thing? The unlockable cards are theThis is a great implementation of the card game, but there are a few irritating problems that keep me from giving it a 10. One is the sideboard. You are allowed to swap unlocked cards in and out of your sideboard, but not the cards of the basic deck. This defeats the whole purpose of a sideboard! Why did they even waste their time programming such a thing? The unlockable cards are the best cards in your deck, so apart from color-specific effects, you'll never want to swap them out. My other problem is that you cannot tap your own lands, ever, for any reason. The computer always chooses for you, making its best guess based on what spells remain in your hand. And yes, it is usually right. But those few times when it's wrong are infuriating! I can understand them automating this part of the game in general, but there should at least be an option to tap your land manually.

But all in all, it's a great way to enjoy the game without breaking the bank. Two-headed giant is especially fun -- it's great for teaming up with a newbie to teach them how to play.
  4. Dec 2, 2010
    If you're a long-time MTG fan, there's a lot to like and a few things to dislike about this game. If you're new to MTG, please note that this game does not give you the whole MTG experience. The reason I say both of the above is that in this particular game you cannot create your own deck. A lot of the fun in MTG for many fans is creating a unique or at least personalized deck. There areIf you're a long-time MTG fan, there's a lot to like and a few things to dislike about this game. If you're new to MTG, please note that this game does not give you the whole MTG experience. The reason I say both of the above is that in this particular game you cannot create your own deck. A lot of the fun in MTG for many fans is creating a unique or at least personalized deck. There are so many cards and so many interesting strategies in MTG that provided one has the cards, one can come up with a vast number of different winning (or losing) strategies. Building your own killer deck feels great, but alas you can't do that here. That aside, what the game does give you as far as decks and gameplay is very nice. And Duels won't bankrupt you the way constantly buying MTG booster packs could, so that's a plus.

In a nutshell, Duels of the Planeswalkers has you use any of a variety of unlockable decks in a series of duels against increasingly difficult opponents (read: their decks get better). There are also a number of puzzle challenges where you are presented with an end-game situation and you have to figure out the correct play in order to win. Furthermore, there are online modes including a co-op campaign and 2-, 3-, or 4-player free-for-all matches, and two-headed giant mode in which two players per side share one increased pool of total life points.

The decks provided by the game run the gamut of what an experienced MTG player might expect. There's the always popular red "burn" deck featuring goblins as cheap fast attackers. There's the white deck (my favorite so far) which goes with a theme of flying creatures and life gaining. The green deck with land acceleration, wurms, and token creatures. The blue deck with counters and spells for all occasions. The black deck with some nasty and annoying creatures that tend to come back from the dead and some discard effects to add to the feeling of desperation. Later on you get multi-color decks; not having unlocked those I can't comment, but multi-color decks tend to be even better at winning.

Each time you win a duel with a deck, you unlock a new card for that deck as well, until you unlock them all. These unlocks are very nice, giving you some primo spells, creatures, and even artifacts. You can replay any campaign duel you've already beaten, so by doing that repeatedly you can work on improving a particular deck. MTG newbies, note that replaying the same opponent can be a totally different experience than before since every game depends on which particular cards get drawn from the deck, thus keeping it interesting.

One critical element of MTG is the timing of plays. Certain spells are only effective if played at the right time. The game gives you the ability to accomplish this by means of a 3-second timer that appears every time you could theoretically play a spell or take some other action. You can pause the timer with the square button.

Other than the lack of ability to build your own deck, I recommend this game to both fans and newbies to MTG. Also purchasable separately are the three add-on packs that give you even more decks to play around with, more puzzle challenges, and more campaign levels (and 3 trophies per add-on).
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Play UK
    Feb 20, 2011
    While it lacks the depth of the physical game, this is an excellent introduction to Magic: The Gathering. [Issue#202, p.96]