Mass Effect 2 PlayStation 3

8.5

1. May 27, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a reason to buy to a next-gen system and start playing video games if you ever needed a reason. From the start of this one, you're flying through the darkest corners of space all to somehow stop a sentient race of machines from destroying civilization as we've come to know it.
    The storyline is great, the graphics are beautiful, the gameplay is tight as are the controls. The voice acting is top notch with 5 star actors such as Martin Sheen playing the role of the Illusive Man. Joker is also played by Buffy's own Seth Green, who is hilarious everytime he opens his mouth or breaks a bone(you'll see what I mean when you play!)
    Get up and go buy this game right now. RIGHT NOW!
  2. May 27, 2011
    The last game I played before this was Dragon Age 2 and having felt badly let down by that game I decided to give Bioware a chance to redeem themselves by getting myself a copy of Mass Effect 2. Having finished the game recently I was very glad I did. Wow, what a game this is. Sci-fi isn't usually my thing but having started the game I was instantly sucked into the amazing story andThe last game I played before this was Dragon Age 2 and having felt badly let down by that game I decided to give Bioware a chance to redeem themselves by getting myself a copy of Mass Effect 2. Having finished the game recently I was very glad I did. Wow, what a game this is. Sci-fi isn't usually my thing but having started the game I was instantly sucked into the amazing story and great characters of the Mass Effect world. The combat was interesting and fun and no matter how many waves of enemies I faced on the various planets I never got bored of fighting my way through the levels. I enjoyed meeting and getting to know the companions and using their various abilities to help me through. Also doing their loyalty quests was fun and I enjoyed some of the side quests, taking great pleasure in exploring and finding the beacons on various planets. The story throughout the game felt like I was in a film at times and building to the climatic finale left me finding myself saying wow, that was a great game, when it was over. The only slight criticisms I have of the game was I found scanning the planets for resources a bit tiresome sometimes and I would have liked to have been able to talk to my romance option much more than I could. I enjoy the romance aspect of bioware games and it's nice to be able to have chats and cut scenes with your chosen love interest sometimes for a bit of light relief from the main campaign so I felt this could have been fleshed out a bit more as after 2 or 3 chats with them I just kept getting the same dialogue repeated until the end of the game. I understand you can't expect to have different conversations with characters every time you do a quest but to have a new one every 3 or 4 quests would be nice. Overall due to these slight criticisms I give the game 9.8 out of 10 but as I have to put a round number I've given 10. I just really hope Bioware in future gives us more quality games like this one than the one I played before it. Expand
  3. May 20, 2011
    Great game, improvement from the 1st. Great storyline, which is what I'm most looking from an RPG. I've played too many RPGs recently with boring quests and dry predictable storyline, this game is more ambitious than that.
  4. May 18, 2011
    Without a doubt my favorite game of all time.. rich immersive story; Excellent voice acting and action sequences, Breath taking sound design.. i enjoyed this game so much i bought it on PC, PS3 and again for my Son on Xbox 360.. if you havent played this game what are you waiting for
  5. May 15, 2011
    I would argue that ME2 is the best game made to date. The story is immersive, the gameplay is exciting and smooth, the voice acting is phenomanal, and the characters are incredible. 10/10 in every aspect.
  6. Apr 28, 2011
    No review would be fair to this game. Mass Effect 2 is not a game, it is an experience. It must not be "played", this is too mundane. It must be lived. I've been playing games since the 80's and I say, without doubt, this is one of the best games I have ever played. It is in my Hall of Fame, together with Shadow of The Colossus, Chrono Trigger and other few gaming gems. I give it 11 out of 10.
  7. Apr 25, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 Has easily climbed into my top PS3 games in my library. From start to finish, Mass Effect 2 makes sure there is never a dull moment in the game. Graphically, the game looks very nice and detailed. But that is not the draw for this game. The story of Mass Effect 2 is brilliant. Bioware has captured lightning in a bottle with this series, and I constantly found myself drawn toMass Effect 2 Has easily climbed into my top PS3 games in my library. From start to finish, Mass Effect 2 makes sure there is never a dull moment in the game. Graphically, the game looks very nice and detailed. But that is not the draw for this game. The story of Mass Effect 2 is brilliant. Bioware has captured lightning in a bottle with this series, and I constantly found myself drawn to the characters of the game. Besides the story and the awesome characters of ME2, the gameplay is fun and the mechanics allow you to attack a situation in many different styles if you so choose. For example, you can run into a fight guns-a-blazin, or you can be a tacticle sniper using powers and carefully placed head shots to eliminate enemies quickly. ME2 is a rare game that does a lot of things, but also does all of these things very well. Some may knock the game for having no multiplayer component to it, but those of you who have played the game understand that this game definitely does not need a multiplayer. But there are other valid arguments which I will discuss that put a very tiny smudge on the armor of an otherwise amazing game. -----Cons:------ ME2 seems to be unsure how to handle itself under one specific situation. Is it linear or is it a sand-box? While not on a mission you are free to travel anywhere in the vast universe you want which is awesome. But once you begin a mission there is pretty much a set corse you have to take to complete the mission and you can't deviate much if at all. This is not a major gripe, because this game still manages to handle this well by offering plenty of enemies and perfectly paced story being delivered throughout every mission. ME2 uses the cover system for fights and does it well for the most part. But ME2 has absolutely no "ambush" factor in any of the fights. Once you enter a room you can tell right away if you are going to get attacked by enemies because you will see hundreds of perfectly placed chest-high walls. To me this detracts from the game slightly, because at no point in the game will you be surprised or caught off guard by an enemy. If they are going to stick with the same system for ME3 they need to be able to handle these situations better, and be able to mix in a variety of battles not just chest-high wall shoot outs otherwise the game will feel more like a shooting gallery than a shooter. ----Final Thoughts----- Even though ME2 can be at times "linear" and fights can be predictable at times, The story and the mechanics of the game just seem to overcome these obsticales like a champ. ME2 is a fun game, and has a ton of replay value because of all the different choices you can make. You can't possibly make all the same choices in 1 play through, and some of these choices can drastically change your game. This game is close to perfect. But still needs just a little more work and polish before it can be called a perfect game. But Mass Effect 2 comes damn close to it. Final score................9/10. Expand
  8. Apr 22, 2011
    This here is the perfect example that arpg's are no longer in the shadow of the jrpg's. This is by far the best rpg i have ever played in this current generation of console's. Still not good enough to beat ff7-8&9 but maybe that's me being an nostalgic to the epicness that i felt back in the days lol
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    The game I feel didn't quite live up to the hype. Although very good overall, just not as outstanding as many have made it out to be. Plus being a PS3 owner I can't Imagine how it would have played without the free DLC. Because I felt there weren't too many side missions. And basically the story is hey do this, get a team then finish game. there was Really only a couple of story specificThe game I feel didn't quite live up to the hype. Although very good overall, just not as outstanding as many have made it out to be. Plus being a PS3 owner I can't Imagine how it would have played without the free DLC. Because I felt there weren't too many side missions. And basically the story is hey do this, get a team then finish game. there was Really only a couple of story specific missions not related to team building. I did uncover a few side missions but maybe around seven I think. And i felt like i talked to everybody. most of the side missions weren't that hard either. Also I guess I am more of an open world fan as opposed to the very linear design some games go for in levels. this is one of those games and it make them redundant to me. The replay value drops because you can only go one way though each area. The firewalker side missions opened up a bit but I can't imagine having paid for them, they had graphical bugs. Overall the real grip of Mass Effect is the overall story and the characters. It is almost like playing through a novel. But Although I had some issues with it I did give it an 8 overall. Graphics in the main game are increadible. very blade runner if you have grain turned on too (one of my favorite movies btw) And although there weren't a lot of story specific missions I felt all the missions you go one do help the story progress and grow and change. I would buy this game if you are a sci-fi and RPG lover like myself but if not maybe just rent it. Overall I like the game, Just not as much as others, Like fallout series, even new vegas with it's technical bugs, and not being as good as 3, I found in the end a biggger, better story and more enjoyable experience overall. Expand
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    I bought this game as it was cheap and wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but I can say that Mass Effect 2 is, without exception, the best game I have ever played on the PS3. It is completely immersive, action packed and compelling. True, some of the audio in the cut scenes is a little glitchy but it's completely forgiveable when you consider the sheer volume of dialogue that had to beI bought this game as it was cheap and wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but I can say that Mass Effect 2 is, without exception, the best game I have ever played on the PS3. It is completely immersive, action packed and compelling. True, some of the audio in the cut scenes is a little glitchy but it's completely forgiveable when you consider the sheer volume of dialogue that had to be recorded.
    I was a bit worried going in that I hadn't played Mass Effect but the digital comic included with the PS3 version does a great job of filling in the back-story and allows you to make the crucial decisions from the first game. A "quick" hours play frequently turned into 3 or 4 hours for me as you get sucked into the storyline and can't help but do just one more mission. The tension builds throughout and I can honestly say I have never been so nervous going into a final battle - I mean, it's a video game for goodness sake but I was so involved, it had that affect on me !!
    Another great feature of the PS3 version is the 6+ hours of DLC included for free which all helps to flesh out the story.
    For me, this is an absolute must have for your game collection. Now roll on Mass Effect 3. In the mean time I'll settle for another play through of Mass Effect 2 !!!
  11. Apr 14, 2011
    Xbox 360 had this game a long time ago, and now it's on the PS3, Since I owed it for xbox 360, I rented it for ps3 just to see if it was any better. It's the same damn game.
  12. Apr 12, 2011
    A great game that already has received all the praise imaginable, and it does deserve that and more. The only drawback to this version is the inevitable fact that it's played with a controller like all console shooters. It does it's best with what it has.
  13. Apr 12, 2011
    Amazing experience! Never have I completed a game and then immediately wanted to play it all over again just to see the story from a different perspective! Simply incredible... The action scenes are intense and not once have I been bored! Well done Mass Effect... go straight to the top of the class!
  14. Apr 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember when i first heard about Mass Effect 2.

I am a huge fan of Dragon Age and i finished it around 7 times (on PC and PS3 combined) and when i first heard about Mass Effect 2, i just simply had to play it, but never got the chance (since i am a PS3 gamer...) But when BioWare announced that they were making a PS3 version of the game, it made my day.
    Mass Effect 2 got the same spirit as Dragon Age; Romancing option, companions, making your own decisions, you can choose to be a male or a female, and all the RPG stuff..

I bought Mass Effect 2 on the first day and wasn't disappointed.
    It was much better than i thought it would be, and i wasn't too hyped for Dragon Age anymore.. Mass Effect 2 was the new Dragon Age in my eyes.

Pros:

- Magnificent graphics that just blew my mind
    - Very realistic and as you play, you want to make sure you keep your team alive through the suicide mission, as you will see this isn't a game that you give a crap about everything and want to 'kill this one or this one for fun'
    - Every decision you make has an effect on Mass Effect 3
    - 10/10 in voice-acting
    - Romancing aliens
    - Very Re-playable as you can be Good (Paragon) or Evil (Renegade) and make a lot of choices
    - Great combat system
    - Many different classes to choose from

Cons:

- Can be a little buggy sometimes

Overall i give Mass Effect 2: 10/10

Strongly recommended.
  15. Mar 31, 2011
    Un jeu hyper puissant, un scénario en béton et un gameplay bien géré, l'exploration spatiale est au rendez-vous, rien à redire sur ce jeu que tout fan de RPG doivent posséder sur PS3, dommage que le 1 ne seras jamais sur le même support, mais la BD interactive résume parfaitement leUn jeu hyper puissant, un scénario en béton et un gameplay bien géré, l'exploration spatiale est au rendez-vous, rien à redire sur ce jeu que tout fan de RPG doivent posséder sur PS3, dommage que le 1 ne seras jamais sur le même support, mais la BD interactive résume parfaitement le premier opus, et les DLC sont d'une très bonne qualité.
    Bref un super jeu arrive sur PS3, maintenant j'ai plus qu'à attendre la suite qui s'annonce passionnante.
  16. Mar 29, 2011
    Great game, very addictive. love the liberty like in fallout to choose your path. When you are engaged in battle, it turns into a First person Shooter game. The companion AI is quite smart, rather than running striaght into a fight, they actually run for cover then attack. The dialogue is a bit unnatural, i played with shephard, and his tone at times didn't match the conversation, butGreat game, very addictive. love the liberty like in fallout to choose your path. When you are engaged in battle, it turns into a First person Shooter game. The companion AI is quite smart, rather than running striaght into a fight, they actually run for cover then attack. The dialogue is a bit unnatural, i played with shephard, and his tone at times didn't match the conversation, but otherwise it was a great run. Can hardly wait for mass effect 3. Some people keep mentioning how many bugs they had, i must say that l played the game for over 3 hrs at times and didn't encounter any issues. Expand
  17. Mar 26, 2011
    The Mass Effect Saga always will be a masterpiece on any platform and it's not different on Sony console. Incredible graphics, sound and a good crafted Sci-Fi story makes this game unique. Unfortunately the PS3 version do not aim accurately right in some major facts about the character's story, First Normandy members, and the decisions on all the course of the story that the original MassThe Mass Effect Saga always will be a masterpiece on any platform and it's not different on Sony console. Incredible graphics, sound and a good crafted Sci-Fi story makes this game unique. Unfortunately the PS3 version do not aim accurately right in some major facts about the character's story, First Normandy members, and the decisions on all the course of the story that the original Mass Effect game had, which leaves incomplete the storytelling about the first game. Bioware did right but all the emotion from the first game can't be described in a sort of Interactive Comic Book. To finish I need to tell that Bioware didn't go wrong on bring Mass Effect to PS3, it certainly gave the developer a bunch of new fans, including me. Expand
  18. Mar 26, 2011
    I am not that huge on first person shooters at all but I am big on RGPs. I played this and really enjoyed it. From the voice acting to the action to the story. the upgrades to each of your characters was indepth allowing you to form you character in almost any way you want. i give this only an 8 because again not a FPS guy.
  19. Mar 24, 2011
    Taken for what this game is; an interactive cinematic experience, it's the best. The third person shooter aspect has been improved (myself having played ME1 on the PC), but instead of improving on the inventory system, the just got rid of it. Sad to see that happen because that takes away the immersiveness that the first game had. Also gone is the interaction with your companions. InsteadTaken for what this game is; an interactive cinematic experience, it's the best. The third person shooter aspect has been improved (myself having played ME1 on the PC), but instead of improving on the inventory system, the just got rid of it. Sad to see that happen because that takes away the immersiveness that the first game had. Also gone is the interaction with your companions. Instead your limited to having converstations with them only during the time you are allowed to complete their quests. The good about this game is the voice acting. Aliens are well played that evokes Star Trek shows or Babylon 5. Alas, the monotone male-Shepard has returned. The customation is still limited in this game so I still go with the default Shepard. I'd like to finish by saying I was enthralled with this game and loved my ending. I plan on importing my first playthrough to Mass Effect 3 (Oh yeah, I will get ME3!) I played through a second time and found myself getting bored with the game play...It doesn't seem the game outcome changes at all no matter if you are playing a paragon or a rouge...which makes me wonder if all our choices are really just illusions? I don't think I can play this a third time. Expand
  20. Mar 21, 2011
    A brilliant addition to the RPG market. Simply an excellent game. Sure it may have a few cracks around the edges but the story immerses you so heavily that you won't even notice. I've played it over and over and each time choosing new options and paths to take. A must buy for any RPG/Sci-Fi fan.
  21. Mar 20, 2011
    I loved the original even with all the graphical glitches. I was happy that ME2 fixed that problem. With BioWares new trend of dumbing down there games is starting to turn me off to buying there games at launch. Having said that, this game is still leaps and bounds better that anything in this genre. The only reason i'm giving this game a 8 is because they regressed, in terms of game-play.I loved the original even with all the graphical glitches. I was happy that ME2 fixed that problem. With BioWares new trend of dumbing down there games is starting to turn me off to buying there games at launch. Having said that, this game is still leaps and bounds better that anything in this genre. The only reason i'm giving this game a 8 is because they regressed, in terms of game-play. The original had real strategy to it, this is a shot it till it dies hack'n'slash shoot'em up. It was the story that kept me playing not the game-play. Expand
  22. Mar 17, 2011
    Good game, miss exploring random planets and having tons of incoming distress signals etc to keep me busy. ME 2 's combat is much better. The romances add depth to the characters in the game and make the party feel alive.

Having said that I didn't like being railroaded into helping Cerberus do anything - it should have been a choice.
  23. Mar 17, 2011
    A great masterpiece, all the download content until date in one Blu-ray disc, with a better engine and ready for the incoming sequel at the playstation world.
  24. Mar 15, 2011
    Where to begin? Do you like shooters similar to Gears of War? How about role playing games? Well you get both with Mass Effect 2! Featuring an incredible story, but also great game-play to back it up. This will be the best game you ever spend your hard earned cash on! (Unless BioWare tops ME2 with Mass Effect 3) Don't be a fool and pick up this must have game now. If it helps, I just beatWhere to begin? Do you like shooters similar to Gears of War? How about role playing games? Well you get both with Mass Effect 2! Featuring an incredible story, but also great game-play to back it up. This will be the best game you ever spend your hard earned cash on! (Unless BioWare tops ME2 with Mass Effect 3) Don't be a fool and pick up this must have game now. If it helps, I just beat this game for a third time and am still not bored of it. Expand
  25. Mar 15, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 delivers on its promise to merge the shooting and (albeit light) RPG genres into one delightful package. The engrossing narrative and vibrant atmosphere never felt dull or contrived, and in the games final hours you can't help but feel that you are an integral part of the action as you battle your way towards ME2's epic conclusion. That being said I wish that the RPGMass Effect 2 delivers on its promise to merge the shooting and (albeit light) RPG genres into one delightful package. The engrossing narrative and vibrant atmosphere never felt dull or contrived, and in the games final hours you can't help but feel that you are an integral part of the action as you battle your way towards ME2's epic conclusion. That being said I wish that the RPG portion of the game was more fleshed out i.e. companion armor, more equipment and shield choices, as well a full fledged loot system. I also found the difficulty system to be a bit unbalanced, the game too easy on normal or lower which makes most ammo and biotic talents useless and unnecessary. I actually found that ME2 truly shined on insanity difficulty when it forced you to think tactically because taking almost any damage was simply not an option. A great example of this is at any point when you encounter husks. Husks are armored at higher difficulties and you and your team can easily get swarmed and die in seconds. Cryo ammo, which I honestly gave up using during my first normal difficulty play-through, became my best friend. Had I never played ME2 on insanity difficulty, I feel this review score might be several points lower because I would have failed to truly understand the finer points of ME2's mechanics. Overall I found the graphics, voice acting, animations, and environment design to be on par or better than most games this generation, and only one notable glitch during Tali's recruitment mission which occurred on both of my play-throughs. Definitely worth picking up if you like shooters blended with RPG elements. Expand
  26. Mar 15, 2011
    Played 30 hours without even realizing I did it. Not even COD did that for me. Brilliant, deep, well voice-acted writing, enthralling plot. Engrossing interactions. Action and face animations might not always be perfect, but the single best one-player experience of my life.
  27. Mar 13, 2011
    I can't give this game anything less than a 10. This is art. It's a rare developer that understands that game elements that are frustrating don't extend the playability of a game in a positive way. This game does it all - engaging missions, splendid graphics, amazing leveling and XP system. Nothing is broken. The only issue I might point out in the PS3 port is that there are certainI can't give this game anything less than a 10. This is art. It's a rare developer that understands that game elements that are frustrating don't extend the playability of a game in a positive way. This game does it all - engaging missions, splendid graphics, amazing leveling and XP system. Nothing is broken. The only issue I might point out in the PS3 port is that there are certain rare instances in cut scenes that the audio does not sync with the video (dialogue and special effects play ahead by about 2 seconds in some cases.) The rest of the game is so incredible that you'll not care. Get this game and watch your weekends dissolve into 10 hour marathons. Expand
  28. Mar 13, 2011
    One of the best games ever made. A little bit worse than ME1 ( no freeroaming in the citadel, instead you get loading screens) but comes damn close. Mordin is one of the best characters I've ever seen in a videogame.
  29. Mar 11, 2011
    An incredible game. There are elements not for everyone, such as the customization sought by hardcore RPG fans. But Bioware does a fantastic job of integrating large elements of the traditional RPG with the fast-paced gaming of an action game. For those who appreciate both, this game is a must.
  30. Mar 5, 2011
    If you want to buy this game and the game like this one cheaply, there is a new trustable original game key web site, and recommend it to your friends. you can just visit it and see the prices ;
  31. Mar 4, 2011
    Fantastic game! A worthy sequel indeed. The game itself offers a super catching story and the combat have been improved since the first game. You like sci-fi? You like RPG's that actually have a story? You feel like spending the next 10 hours with cola and twinkies? - buy Mass Effect 2, its worth it.
  32. Mar 3, 2011
    This was my first taste of the series and all I can say is that its one of the freshest shooters and rpgs I've played since Bioshock. The story is expertly presented with excellent voice acting and character animation leaving every JRPG's storytelling in the dust. MUST BUY :)
  33. Feb 28, 2011
    Great game, really entertaining. If you like Knights of the Old republic, you'll love this game. With many optional side quests you can play the long game or a shorter game focussing on just the main quest. Nice movies and voice overs. A must!
  34. Feb 23, 2011
    Though streamlined(some would say stripped) compared to Mass Effect,this is one of the finest games ever made.Armed with what I consider to be the best story(and writing) outside of Bioshock,ME2 cuts a swathe through the galaxy.However,It can have a repetitive mission structure,some boring mini-games and average side quests.But who cares?Do yourself a favour and buy it.If you don't have aThough streamlined(some would say stripped) compared to Mass Effect,this is one of the finest games ever made.Armed with what I consider to be the best story(and writing) outside of Bioshock,ME2 cuts a swathe through the galaxy.However,It can have a repetitive mission structure,some boring mini-games and average side quests.But who cares?Do yourself a favour and buy it.If you don't have a 360 and Mass effect,buy those too.Then pray for ME 3 to arrive quickly.( 'A conversation with Sovereign' on youtube will convince you) Expand
  35. Feb 22, 2011
    This is the best RPG ever. The graphics and voice acting are top notch. The conversation system is both incredibly detailed and easy to operate. Not to mention that it has great gameplay, with both fun shooting and biotic powers.It also has athe best cast of characters from any game i've played
  36. Feb 21, 2011
    Nothing short of phenomenal. A true milestone in gaming history. The action and plot is fun. The RPG elements could've been much better, however. That seems to the major gripe with the game. I'm not a big RPG fan, so it doesn't really make any difference too me. This game is great, pick it up as soon as possible.
  37. Feb 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's simply the best game I have ever played.
    I played it through three times on the xbox and now 2 times on the PS 3. Graphics haven't improved as much as everyone is saying but it's still, after the PC version, the best version to get.
  38. Feb 12, 2011
    Don't hesitate for a second buying this game. If you have played the short demo released fairly recently of this game but wasn't a big fan of it, don't be scared, the full game is a hundred times better as the demo lacked the characterisation and depth that is so vast in the full game. With the added free downloadable content, you just cannot lose when purchasing this game, ignore theDon't hesitate for a second buying this game. If you have played the short demo released fairly recently of this game but wasn't a big fan of it, don't be scared, the full game is a hundred times better as the demo lacked the characterisation and depth that is so vast in the full game. With the added free downloadable content, you just cannot lose when purchasing this game, ignore the terrible reviews at the bottom, they are Xbox fanboys jealous of the huge graphical upscaling given to the PS3 version. Expand
  39. Feb 8, 2011
    I gave this game a perfect score, although it isn't perfect. But it IS that enjoyable. A ton of fun, great story, great replay value, and a superbly polished product. My only complaints were that the missions structure became repetitive by the end of the game (around the 30-35 hr mark) and the DLC add-ons involving 'driving' were poorly done. The gameplay is smooth and polished (a fewI gave this game a perfect score, although it isn't perfect. But it IS that enjoyable. A ton of fun, great story, great replay value, and a superbly polished product. My only complaints were that the missions structure became repetitive by the end of the game (around the 30-35 hr mark) and the DLC add-ons involving 'driving' were poorly done. The gameplay is smooth and polished (a few minor issues with the cover system, but nothing that detracts from the experience) and the story/presentation are second to none. The RPG elements are light compared to ME1, but I never felt like it was detrimental to the experience. This game really pulls you into the Mass Effect world, and I can't wait for Mass Effect 3 to come out. I am really interested to see how the choices I made in ME2 are going to affect the final chapter. Expand
  40. Feb 6, 2011
    Beautiful, balanced and beyond awe inspiring . The story is wonderful as are the graphics. It reminds me of a very good book, you wont put it down until you have finished and you will yearn for the sequel. I have never played the original and I'm almost tempted to borrow an xbox just to play it....almost.
  41. Feb 2, 2011
    I personally think that giving this game a negative review is criminal. Even if you think the progression and RPG elements of the first Mass Effect were better (and I agree), this is still a FANTASTIC game. The story is engaging, gameplay is crisp and fun, and the graphics rock. This game is a must have.
  42. Feb 2, 2011
    Of playstation games to come out in 2011 so far, Mass effect 2 hits the nail on the head for all avid open world rpg gamers. Some negative reviews talk about the XBox version being better and more fluid with frame rates and better coding from microsoft, yet i have both consoles and both games on each and would say there is little difference between the two. The only reason i did not giveOf playstation games to come out in 2011 so far, Mass effect 2 hits the nail on the head for all avid open world rpg gamers. Some negative reviews talk about the XBox version being better and more fluid with frame rates and better coding from microsoft, yet i have both consoles and both games on each and would say there is little difference between the two. The only reason i did not give this game a perfect score was that the sheer vastness of the 70+ hour game makes it very difficult to follow the main story line when each and every different side quest leads you further and further away from it. Gameplay and customising of character is flawless with the ability to change and equip 1000's of different weapons and armour perfecting the best build for each character. Love the free DLC PS network provides, keep it coming i say. Expand
  43. Feb 1, 2011
    This is the Empire Strikes Back of sequels. Even though the first one was on PS3 Bioware managed to treat us with a motion comic recapping the first game and yes you actually get to make decision which will affect the game and includes every DLC. Every minute I spent with it it grabs me emotionally on every decision I make. It make you believe that the characters are real people thanks toThis is the Empire Strikes Back of sequels. Even though the first one was on PS3 Bioware managed to treat us with a motion comic recapping the first game and yes you actually get to make decision which will affect the game and includes every DLC. Every minute I spent with it it grabs me emotionally on every decision I make. It make you believe that the characters are real people thanks to the marvellous acting and amazing dialogue.
    The RPG elements work very well, it isn't as complex like any RPG which is good news for newcomers or if an RPG fan wants a break from FFXIII.
    This is a must-buy for any PS3 owner and so can't wait for the third and final installment this year
  44. Jan 29, 2011
    Excellent game. Game-play includes shooting and using your squad members strategically. Fun side quests and o.k. farming mini-games. High replay value and good role playing friendly story. I enjoyed the leveling up system for your team members, ship and game protagonist's powers.
  45. Jan 29, 2011
    ME 2 has it all, and more...., don't miss this game, it will be like missing Ocarina of time, Resident Evil 4, and other Masterpiece Classics
    (Tip: don't only run through the main-quest, you'll be missing some unforgettable moments in Gaming History!)
  46. Jan 29, 2011
    This is a game that truly has it all. The graphics are smooth and stunning, the controls are just so good and well thought out and the story, oh my god the story is just amazing, you really get caught up in it. The replayabillety is good, because you have so many different choices to make and different classes to use on commander Shepard and lets not forget the additional DLC`s from theThis is a game that truly has it all. The graphics are smooth and stunning, the controls are just so good and well thought out and the story, oh my god the story is just amazing, you really get caught up in it. The replayabillety is good, because you have so many different choices to make and different classes to use on commander Shepard and lets not forget the additional DLC`s from the Playstation Store. You can also use hours and hours exploring the vast galaxy for hidden bases and minerals for diverse upgrades, both to the Normandy and to your self and your crew.

This game is just a must have and i give it both thumbs up! Go buy it, you wont regret it:) This truly is a 10/10 game
  47. Jan 28, 2011
    I genuinely cannot remember a game that has had me hooked, and trully engrossed like this for a long time. At present Iam now approximately 25hours in to the game and have seldom put the pad down....save for sleeping, eating, and Uni work of course. The story offers great variety in mission design and provides a great antagonist in the Collectors. The combat is solid, with great gunplayI genuinely cannot remember a game that has had me hooked, and trully engrossed like this for a long time. At present Iam now approximately 25hours in to the game and have seldom put the pad down....save for sleeping, eating, and Uni work of course. The story offers great variety in mission design and provides a great antagonist in the Collectors. The combat is solid, with great gunplay and battle commands mechanic that can only be likened to that of Uncharted 2. The main story will have you hooked, but the enjoyment of ME2 does not end here. There are many different planets and worlds to investigate and explore throughout the universe with side missions providing great entertainment and sources of intrigue into the world. As you meet/recruit new team members each has their very own compelling and well thought out backstory that seamlessly fits into the plotline of the main story. I would defy anyone to criticise this game as being short of perfect, its port to PS3 is one of absolute perfection; and failing a catastrophe in the storyline in the remaining time I have left to play this is a solid 10/10 from me. I would recomend this game to anyone that has waited so long for the Space adventure/RPG to be done to a fantasic standard. Adding to that, Bioware have including all the DLC created for the 360 version and included it for FREE, giving you even more story and value for your money. Already waiting tentatively to preorder Mass Effect 3 due for release Autumn 2011. This is ESSENTIAL Playstation gaming. Expand
  48. Jan 28, 2011
    Mass effect 2 for PS3 at last....iv'e played through it on xbox360 and i have to say that the story is epic...i never bought the DLC for 360 which is why i got Mass effect 2 for PS3 complete with over 6hours of DLC missions included on the disc. First things first....do you need to play ME1 to understand ME2? - NO!...the included back story does a good job of filling you in on what happensMass effect 2 for PS3 at last....iv'e played through it on xbox360 and i have to say that the story is epic...i never bought the DLC for 360 which is why i got Mass effect 2 for PS3 complete with over 6hours of DLC missions included on the disc. First things first....do you need to play ME1 to understand ME2? - NO!...the included back story does a good job of filling you in on what happens in the previous game. Once the game boots up and you see the in game graphics up and running, you know your in for a treat...having played both PS3 and 360 versions of the game, i can say that the developers have made the PS3 sing, i was a bit worried that bioware would have done a half arsed port but they have come up trumps and improved on the already impressive 360 version. Mass effect 2 on PS3 is the definitive version of the game and is a must for any rpg/shooter fan. Anyone who rates the game at less than 8/10 is either a 360 fanboy and is sore at seeing yet another once 360 exclusive move to PS3 or they simply haven't played it......10 out of 10...it's only the end of January and already PS3 is out fighting with two of the best games ever created..Mass effect 2 and Little big planet 2 as well. Expand
  49. Jan 27, 2011
    ME2 was the last game I played before I traded in my 360 for a PS3, and I still bought it day one for the PS3, knowing full well every plot twist, and what every mission entailed. Any PS3 owner who hasn't played the Mass Effect series should jump into this now, before 3 comes out later this year. The interactive comic does a great job of summing up the first game as well for gamers whoME2 was the last game I played before I traded in my 360 for a PS3, and I still bought it day one for the PS3, knowing full well every plot twist, and what every mission entailed. Any PS3 owner who hasn't played the Mass Effect series should jump into this now, before 3 comes out later this year. The interactive comic does a great job of summing up the first game as well for gamers who never played the first, but it doesn't hold a candle to actually being able to experience the original in all of it's glory. The game looks better than it did on the 360 due to it running on ME3's engine, and all of the DLC being bundled into it from the start appealed directly to me as I was never able to play any of it when I first played it. If you don't own this, get it the first chance you can. Expand
  50. Jan 27, 2011
    Yes Yes Yes! This is what games should be. Although controls are sometimes a bit frustrating the game itself is awesome. 40+ hours of awesomeness. If you like 3th person shooters -> Get this game NOW!
    If you like exploring and roaming around -> Get this game NOW!
    If you like Start Trek/Star Wars -> Get this game NOW!

If you want a social life -> Do not get this game!
  51. Jan 26, 2011
    An amazing game. I love RPGs and dont really like FPS, but this game mixes them both together in an intriguing story and excellent playability. I loved every second of it. Had never played ME 1 before trying this. After my heart settled down after first playthrough I rushed out to buy ME1 before playing them both twice back to back. I now have two different stories to continue when ME 3An amazing game. I love RPGs and dont really like FPS, but this game mixes them both together in an intriguing story and excellent playability. I loved every second of it. Had never played ME 1 before trying this. After my heart settled down after first playthrough I rushed out to buy ME1 before playing them both twice back to back. I now have two different stories to continue when ME 3 comes out...and I cant wait! Expand
  52. Jan 25, 2011
    This is one of the best games ever made & I'm not even a sci-fi fan, The characters are believable and keep you entertained, The game play is engrossing, smooth & tons of fun, there is a great mix of shooting exploring and mingling. In my opinion this ones a definite purchase worth every penny,
  53. Jan 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 2 is the perfect combination of Role playing and action games, in other words, you can create your own character and actually have brute fights with him, and other virtue about Mass Effect, is the freedom to be a bad guy or good guy.
    But on my opinion, the RPG style of the game is too low yet, the story isn't so versatile how should to be a "Real RPG".
    The Game is awesome, but a better option in RPG 's is Fallout: New Vegas.
  54. Jan 24, 2011
    I have one thing to add to my review after my first playthru. While the game is good, the story, characters are intriguing. I can't help but notice a transparency to the gameplay. It's go to a planet, search clues for your objective, firefight with similar enemies for about 15 minutes, then do it all again on the next planet. It's this repetiveness that I think will sour alot of gamers.I have one thing to add to my review after my first playthru. While the game is good, the story, characters are intriguing. I can't help but notice a transparency to the gameplay. It's go to a planet, search clues for your objective, firefight with similar enemies for about 15 minutes, then do it all again on the next planet. It's this repetiveness that I think will sour alot of gamers. The weapons aren't all that exciting either. This is still a really cool game, it just starts to grind after awhile. It's one of the reasons I still think FFXIII is still champ as far as RPG's go for the PS3. That's just my opinion though. Bring on Dragon Age 2 !!!!!!! Expand
  55. Jan 24, 2011
    This is one of THE BEST games on the PS3 right now...dont listen to those mediocre reviews, so what if PS3 gamers have missed out on the ME1 that doesnt take away from this being a truly immersive game full of depth and action. This game will give you that "just one more go" feeling as it sucks you into its fantastic universe., and with all the DLC being included on the disc PS3 gamers areThis is one of THE BEST games on the PS3 right now...dont listen to those mediocre reviews, so what if PS3 gamers have missed out on the ME1 that doesnt take away from this being a truly immersive game full of depth and action. This game will give you that "just one more go" feeling as it sucks you into its fantastic universe., and with all the DLC being included on the disc PS3 gamers are getting more for there money with this game, Bioware deserve a medal, because this is how games should be made and they know how to look after the people that pay their wages..thats you and me. Dont delay in getting this game, if you havent got the money, sell somthing to get it and kiss your life goodbye for 40+ hours, as you ride the Mass Effect universe! Expand
  56. Jan 23, 2011
    This is easily one of the best games I have ever played. The update in graphics makes this one of the best looking games made, the gameplay is every bit as tight as uncharted 2, and has probably one of the greatest and most intriguing story lines ever. As someone who never played the first ME i still had an immediate attachment to shepherd right from the first moving scene. and with theThis is easily one of the best games I have ever played. The update in graphics makes this one of the best looking games made, the gameplay is every bit as tight as uncharted 2, and has probably one of the greatest and most intriguing story lines ever. As someone who never played the first ME i still had an immediate attachment to shepherd right from the first moving scene. and with the ps3 getting the interactive novel which fills in the gaps from the first one, this game is a complete package, $20 dollars in free dlc, 1 free character, and a novel that fills in the gaps from the first one, bioware truly had the ps3 fans in mind on this one. dont rob yourself of this amazing game, if you like firefly, serenity, dune, star trek, or farscape, even the riddick movies, there is deffinately something here for you to love. Expand
  57. Jan 23, 2011
    Phenomenal game. I've never been more invested in a game than I was with Mass Effect 2. The last mission is one of the greatest endings I have ever seen in a video game.
  58. Jan 23, 2011
    Right up there with KOTOR as one of Bioware's crowning achievements, Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 looses some of it's potency without the ability to import saves from the original Mass Effect, but almost makes up for it with the included DLC.
  59. Jan 23, 2011
    If you haven't played the 360 version, you have to play this game now. With the graphics upgrade and free additional content, Mass Effect 2 should win game of the year twice.
  60. Jan 22, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 on the PS3, is simply amazing. The shooting is fun, conversations are interesting, and besides who doesn't like saving the human race and being able to hit people in the face. 10/10
  61. Jan 22, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, the story traps you from first to last minute, and the gameplay is just perfect.

Also the PS3 version is clearly better than the Xbox360 one.
  62. Jan 20, 2011
    One of the best Xbox games is finally on Playstation! As a fan of the first, I noticed big difference's. Graphics are the same the only thing that has changed is better character quality. A lot of bugs. Sound glitches are the most often. Nothing else I've seen happen. Mass Effect is still one of the best story games out there. Exploration is huge in this game. Also the ability to travelOne of the best Xbox games is finally on Playstation! As a fan of the first, I noticed big difference's. Graphics are the same the only thing that has changed is better character quality. A lot of bugs. Sound glitches are the most often. Nothing else I've seen happen. Mass Effect is still one of the best story games out there. Exploration is huge in this game. Also the ability to travel whenever you want is a big thumbs up! Getting to know your crew is the most interesting, actually getting to know their back story. Paragon and Renegade options are still amazingly put in to the game, just having the chance to play how you want to and gives you different replay choices. Like if you want to play as a Paragon or a Renegade, be hero everybody respects or an **** that everyone is afraid you no matter where you go. Mass Effect is a must own for PS3 owners! Expand
  63. Jan 20, 2011
    This game is great. Such a solid combat mechanic and great story. I'm glad it finally came to the PS3 as well, as I didn't want to buy it on the PC. Bioware never seems to disappoint.
  64. Jan 19, 2011
    It may sound a we bit to simple but I never really saw the appeal of mass affect. I played this version on 360 and now I own a PS3 it just seems almost last generation...
  65. Jan 19, 2011
    This is hands down probably one of the most amazing games I have ever touched. I played Mass Effect 1 but held off on 2 after hearing of the PS3 release and wow I can't believe I waited to play this. Absolute masterpiece and a game that fans of RPGs and shooters alike must play.
  66. Jan 19, 2011
    I have been a fan of the franchise since the first game hit the 360. I bought it for that system bought the PC version and bought all three versions of Mass Effect 2. I will admit that some of the RPG elements have been stripped down and the game has seen a more "action" oriented style, but it works and the story telling and character development is still amazing. This is one of the rareI have been a fan of the franchise since the first game hit the 360. I bought it for that system bought the PC version and bought all three versions of Mass Effect 2. I will admit that some of the RPG elements have been stripped down and the game has seen a more "action" oriented style, but it works and the story telling and character development is still amazing. This is one of the rare franchises where I feel a connection to the characters and want to know more about them. Expand
  67. Jan 19, 2011
    This in an awesome game, and the PS3 version is the most complete version.
    but only buy if you haven't got xbox/pc because you can pick it up pretty cheap on the other formats
  68. Jan 18, 2011
    One of the best games ever made. I own this on pc, xbox and ps3 and I still want to pump my fist in the air and cheer for Shepard and my team when taking down the collectors.

1. May 24, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a masterpiece of Sci-Fi-Storytelling. The characters in the Mass Effect universe are offering a deep background. The Game is exciting until the very end.
  2. Mar 29, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is still a game you shouldn't miss at all costs, and one of the best RPG's of this generation of consoles. You need an internet connection to download all of the contents which EA didn't include on the main BR disk.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 17, 2011
    Yes, ME2 isn't perhaps the most technical RPG ever created, but it's easily one of the slickest, bearing the unmistakable master craftsmanship of RPG luminaries, BioWare. Not only is this supersized Sony edition of ME2 outstanding value for money – it also represents a sound long-term investment. If the Mass Effect 3 reveals are anything to go by, the conclusion of this saga will be similarly unmissable and the galactic apocalypse will be decided in our own backyard: Earth. [March 2011, p70]