2.1

1. Mar 6, 2012
    Day 1 DLC. Prothean squadmate, on the disc. I don't care if it's not important to the main story. I don't care if you had a separate team working on it. You had it ready to be released alongside the game and on the disc itself. There is no excuse for this not being free for everyone. Shame on EA. Shame on Bioware. And shame on consumers for still blindly buying their crap and letting EA get away with it. Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2012
    Day 1 DLC. Way to milk your fans, Bioware, real classy. So the game ends up being $70, really? I never knew a game developer could stoop to such ridiculously low levels. Bioware, and many others, are straight out killing the gaming community and should be stopped, but they wont. Everyone will buy this **** DLC and eat it up thinking they made a good investment.
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    To EA and Bioware (company that I adored for a decade now); you guys are pathetic capitalism whores. You are not true gamers! What you are now thinking? Ok, let's fool them again but next time we will not say them that we are making day one DLC, instead we will make DLC second week. I'm done with you guys, this is last game that I will buy from you!
  4. Mar 6, 2012
    I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Mass Effect 3, is in fact, DLC/Mass Effect 3, or as I've recently taken to calling it, DLC plus Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 3 is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning DLC system made useful by the DLC corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the DLC system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of DLC which is widely used today is often called "Mass Effect 3", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the DLC system, developed by the DLC Project. There really is a Mass Effect 3, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Mass Effect 3 is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Mass Effect 3 is normally used in combination with the DLC operating system: the whole system is basically DLC with Mass Effect 3 added, or DLC/Mass Effect 3. All the so-called "Mass Effect 3" distributions are really distributions of DLC/Mass Effect 3. Expand
  5. Mar 7, 2012
    This content should have been on the disc, or at least freely available to everyone who purchased a new copy of the game. This was the case with the first story DLC for Mass Effect 2, in order to encourage players to buy a new copy of the game instead of a used one. But now EA goes a step further and charges money for the day 1 DLC. No one should buy this DLC, if only to discourage EA from such schemes. Expand
  6. Mar 9, 2012
    This so called DLC was made long before the game was being sold, even having associated files on the retail disk. Ultimately, you're being charged for an "extra" which has been intentionally cut from the game to make it an "extra".
  7. Mar 15, 2012
    From Ashes is one of the worst examples of DLC in recent memory. An example of a game developer removing content from the main game in order to get you to pay extra the only thing your really "downloading" is the lackluster mission to wake the character. The truth is you already have him with your Mass Effect 3 purchase and it only takes editing one game file to get him.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Apr 17, 2012
    Great for Mass Effect fans wanting more back story then, a little unremarkable for everyone else. [Issue#217, p.83]
  2. Mar 21, 2012
    You don´t need From the Ashes if you think it'll add something relevant to the main plot. If you're looking for some background information, a new squad-member, a fresh weapon and a few war assets as well as outfits, it delivers exactly that.
  3. Mar 15, 2012
    From Ashes is easily the best character-centric DLC the series has to offer. Unlike Kasumi or Zaeed in Mass Effect 2, Javik is a persistent personality, his integration a lot smoother and substantial. With that said, From Ashes is clearly at aimed at those who want to dig deeper in to the rich sci-fi universe. If you're only in it for an extra mission, forking out £7.99 is steep by anyone's standards.