2.6

1. Apr 20, 2012
    So! The prothean character model was already on the disc. This is normal and done so that the integration of new models with the rest of the game runs smoother. And this DLC was released on the same day the game was! It was developed by a different production team, and had a much shorter period of tests. Now that we are through that, let us get to the real point: is this worth its price?So! The prothean character model was already on the disc. This is normal and done so that the integration of new models with the rest of the game runs smoother. And this DLC was released on the same day the game was! It was developed by a different production team, and had a much shorter period of tests. Now that we are through that, let us get to the real point: is this worth its price? For ten dollars you get a new character, a new mission, a new weapon and a new outfit for each of your squadmates. The new outfits are disposable. The new weapon is kind of fun as it works in a very different way from other assault rifles. The new mission is very boring as it involves going somewhere, killing a bunch of enemies and repeating those steps ten more times. But the start of From Ashes is Javik, the prothean squadmate. He is a very interesting character both in combat (see him as an offensive Garrus) and in conversations. As a matter of fact, I daresay Shepard shares the best dialogues in the game with this ruthless, vengeful prothean warrior. My suggestion is: do not buy this DLC for your first run through Mass Effect 3. If you like the game and plan to play it again, then buy it and you probably will not be disappointed. Expand
  2. Mar 30, 2012
    The DLC was not on the disc first off. And if they released this 3 months down the road a lot of people would end up re buying it (most likely used) just to play the DLC. Now for the DLC its self, the squad member isn't too shabby and its nice to have a feeling for the protheans.
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    Do forgive me for this... but the Day 1 DLC is free to those who bought the collector's edition. It was meant to be a gift to those who paid the extra cash. It clearly isn't on disc and anyone who gave this a 0 on that demerit alone should have their review wiped from metacritic, as should mine.

I'll re-review this after I actually play it... you know, like a real reviewer would do? For now, it gets a middle of the road score.
  4. Jan 6, 2014
    I have mixed feelings about this DLC. The character included is interesting, and helps expand on the history of the Mass Effect universe. His interactions with Shepherd on the Normandy and on various missions goes from decent to very good (recommend you bring him to Thessia). On the other hand, this content should never have been a DLC. The content does not add new gameplay, or anI have mixed feelings about this DLC. The character included is interesting, and helps expand on the history of the Mass Effect universe. His interactions with Shepherd on the Normandy and on various missions goes from decent to very good (recommend you bring him to Thessia). On the other hand, this content should never have been a DLC. The content does not add new gameplay, or an extensive multi-part mission, or bring in content that is colorful but separate from the main mission. Instead, you get a relatively short single-part mission that feels completely like a part of the main game that was ripped out for cash. It is well done, and up to Mass Effect's standards, but leaves a sour taste in your mouth to have to pay extra for core gameplay. It feels like being cheated by something that is supposed to be entertainment, and Bioware's reputation should decline because of it. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Play UK
    Apr 17, 2012
    Great for Mass Effect fans wanting more back story then, a little unremarkable for everyone else. [Issue#217, p.83]
  2. Mar 21, 2012
    You don´t need From the Ashes if you think it'll add something relevant to the main plot. If you're looking for some background information, a new squad-member, a fresh weapon and a few war assets as well as outfits, it delivers exactly that.
  3. Mar 15, 2012
    From Ashes is easily the best character-centric DLC the series has to offer. Unlike Kasumi or Zaeed in Mass Effect 2, Javik is a persistent personality, his integration a lot smoother and substantial. With that said, From Ashes is clearly at aimed at those who want to dig deeper in to the rich sci-fi universe. If you're only in it for an extra mission, forking out £7.99 is steep by anyone's standards.