5.4

1. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm giving it a 5. In short, the game feels like it's building you up for the fight of a lifetime and the story ending of a ultra hero, instead at the end you are left with all the foreplay leaving you shorted and confused, and most of all, pissed off to know it was all only just a "Legend/Dream". The developers this time around followed a true example of "Lost" meets "Matrix Revolutions", which is what doomed this games story telling.

The good:
    Awesome immersive gameplay
    Epic battles scenes NEAR the end

The bad:
    So many story gaps from ME2 > ME3
    Cerberus?
    Random graphic glitches
    The "promised" romance with former ME1/ME2 partners is laughable.
    The ending, quite possibly the worst story ending I have ever experienced.
  2. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game built up so much epicness and I said multiple times before the last mission that this was the best SP-game I've EVER played. And it got destroyed under 10 minutes, by creating paradoxes (synthetic life who kills organic life so they don't get killed by synthetics LOOOL), Joker's getting some pstd and decides to run to a mass relay, and shepard is gone forever, putting the galaxy into a dark age and even if he survives he will NEVER see his LI, his friends or another nebula again. They tried to make a Deus Ex 1-ending, but they failed miserable and decided that a deus ex machina-ending would do the trick. I'm honestly depressed, it was my favourite game series of all time and Bioware gave me the finger. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    Why a 5 Rating? Let's talk about this logically. First off DLC on day one. What does this mean? This means EA is mad about something and they need to settle a debt with their players or customers who buy their games. This shows a complete lack of respect or EGO on EA's part. My translation is EA is mad at customers who buy second hand. Well I wonder why players do that when on day one youWhy a 5 Rating? Let's talk about this logically. First off DLC on day one. What does this mean? This means EA is mad about something and they need to settle a debt with their players or customers who buy their games. This shows a complete lack of respect or EGO on EA's part. My translation is EA is mad at customers who buy second hand. Well I wonder why players do that when on day one you cannot trust you bought a complete game without software bugs. I mean come on you expect gamers to trust you when you sell DLC on day one integral to the games plot? I give a cautionary 5 rating to the game because you broke the game with this. From here you can infer that in the future you will now release a GOTY edition with the downloadable content for $30 or less. Well I can wait making this day one release at full price a waste of money. EA, you will not win this battle if you want to claim $60 you have to be respectful of you fan/customer base and provide a solid product as with any company. You need our revenue or you will not exist. I do not need your games they are only entertainment and their are lots of games and companies products to choose from. EA look at all the zero scores and do some research on that you are making tons of people very angry. You provide broken or incomplete products then wonder why people buy used. Just have some respect, make a good game, test it, make it flawless, make it worth the money and people will buy it at full price. Make junk and of course no one wants to spend a lot of hard earned money on it. It this game good, probably yes but I'm not paying twice for one game. I'm waiting til the game implodes on you and you put out the DLC on one disc and you will get $30 from me, half the revenue you would have got for not playing your silly trickery with DLC on day one. Just bad business in my humble opinion. Don't forget on ps3 mass effect one does not exist and on DLC is only provided in PS3 mass effect 2. Why did you not provide the same on Xbox 360. Funny that both systems have lack of full game import leading up to mass effect 3. Well you choose to shaft your gamers, now their turn back, look at all the negative zero scores. Your company will slowly implode because of your poor respect for peoples hard earned money. Love is two ways and you need to be the leader in this area. Expand
  4. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the latest installment of Biowareâ
  5. Sep 2, 2012
    THERE ARE NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW OR ANY ENDING GRIPES Mass Effect 3 is not as advertised. It fails for a few reasons. Firstly it is advertised as an RPG. The truth is that this is a on rails shooter that offers no way to deviate and do things on your own like in the previous two installments. Leveling up does not hold any real benefit like it does in other RPG 's. You don't actuallyTHERE ARE NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW OR ANY ENDING GRIPES Mass Effect 3 is not as advertised. It fails for a few reasons. Firstly it is advertised as an RPG. The truth is that this is a on rails shooter that offers no way to deviate and do things on your own like in the previous two installments. Leveling up does not hold any real benefit like it does in other RPG 's. You don't actually learn any new abilities or powers (leveling sniper rifle in ME1 so you can actually aim better as an example). Weapons are all very lethal right from the beginning so the game is pretty easy to beat. As far as the game play goes, it is a good third person shooter but brings nothing exceptional or memorable to the genre. The locals in the game would be much more interseting if the were not so linear. Levels in Mass Effect 3 are essentially a series of waves of enemies and corridors that you are funneled down. Not every level but it it makes the ones that are, that much more boring to play. Difficulty make the enemies absorb more bullets/powers and does not make them any smarter. The AI still runs at your bullets.

As far as story goes, it follows a very tired formula of "Hero with back against the wall" combined with "thank god for the whatever device" to conclude the trilogy in a very cliched fashion. Many titles have done this (Gears of War 3 as an example) and with each "new" title that does this, the genre is diluted a little further. The game feels like it's trying to play it safe by providing a narrative that has been successful in the past in other sci-fi games. This game does offer moments that are fantastic if you have been a fan from the beginning, however Mass Effect 3 is very unfriendly to new players as they will have zero idea of whats happening in the story arc. The advertising is once again misleading in this regard. If you have not played the previous installments, the decisions you are asked to make will make no sense and have no real weight. PC SPECIFIC: I've played this game on the PC and 360 , and I can say that there is no real advantage to owning this game on the PC over console. There is a lack of PC specific support such as XBOX 360 game pad support (some people want to play that way) and remapping keys on the PC you are still left with one key to take care of most actions. The graphics are sub standard as far as a pc game is concerned. Curiously the graphics in Mass Effect 2 on the PC where better that Mass Effect 3. There are also times when the game crashes for no reason and happens at different moments on different playthroughs.
  6. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A strong opening that loses steam during the halfway point, PS3 frame rate issues and weak endings for such a long, three game journey leaves something to be desired from the end of such a great trilogy. No doubt from the community backlash the "real ending" will be in some sort of disgusting DLC package. If you're emotionally invested in the game I suggest a purchase, but perhaps when the price has been cut. Expand
  7. Apr 24, 2012
    The ending was so bad you cannot even explain it. What a joke....especially for a build up and empty promises of 3 games. Aside from that it is a great game though. Bad developing and bugs are the reasons I am not giving this game a 10.
  8. Mar 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ok first off i would like to say well done bioware on finishing the game all be it poorly the ending was a bit naff and sucked a tad i felt sorry for joker.
    Now down to the nitty gritty bioware I found the game amazing in some areas heart wrenching in others and down right funny in parts i did find joker's sarcasm and witt to have been toned down and having a prothean for the final battle made me choose tarvik and edi all the time, having said that the game is a ending to what has been an epic 5 year run for bioware however there have been some flaws. 1 the frame rate on the game is at sometimes disgusting any game that runs 20fps native at 720p should be sent back to the developers with a note saying must try harder. 2 the story lacked the grip of me2 making you wonder what is the illusive man up to when is sheppard going to bed miranda and what the hell is cerburus. 3 the ui for me3 on ps3 is just messy infact very messy. 4 the loading times are not acceptable or good and the lack of install to ps3 hard disk isnt clever either.

All in all the pro's equal the cons however it made me feel a bit naff that you cant acheive the true ending without playing the mp or if you have 100% completion in me1 and me2 and imported your character again a bit poor
  9. Mar 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you're a big fan of the original Mass Effect and didn't quite catch Mass Effect 2, you'll be wondering if you're playing the right game when you start Mass Effect 3. A thing that bugged me a lot right away was the fact that it auto-picks dialogue for you (the entire opening cutscene, Commander Shepard is friendly and a bit sarcastic, regardless of how you've been playing him/her during the past games), taking control out of your hands. They also did away with all of the neutral choices, forcing you to be Renegade or Paragon the entire way through. The game has some breathtaking set pieces, but they feel like distractions. The gameplay is essentially identical to Mass Effect 2 with some small improvements, such as more guns, and a streamlined power system.

The story is interesting and fun up until the last twenty minutes or so. The ending of the game felt like Bioware had been casually writing a decent story before realizing they had a deadline, and so they rushed everything into an A, B, or C ending. Quite literally, nothing you've done in the past games matters during these last few parts. As long as you have 5,000 war assets and 100% readiness, they let you pick whatever ending you want. Literally. You're presented with the Paragon choice, the Renegade choice, and then a strange, over-the-top Neutral choice, and you simply pick one and watch the 10 minute cutscene of confusion roll out.

Characters, major and minor, from the entire trilogy return. Some of them have sidequests, whereas others show up in small cameos in major missions. You may find yourself wanting to accumulate your dream team from Mass Effect 1 or 2, but the squad selection is incredibly sparse, the smallest squad in the entire series, which consists almost entirely of Mass Effect 1 squad members.

The story makes almost no sense right out of the starting gate if you didn't play the DLC in Mass Effect 2. A DLC in Mass Effect 2 involves Shepard trying to slow down The Reapers after defeating The Collectors, destroying an entire star system in the process. This lands him with his/her Specter status revoked, his ship grounded, his/her rank being stripped, and him/her in jail. If you did not play this DLC, they do not explain it to you, and actually state later in the game that someone else ended up doing this because Shepard didn't. Why are you in jail, then? No explanation is given.

Furthering the DLC issue, Bioware actually stripped endings, multiplayer characters, companions, and sidequests from the base Mass Effect 3 game, meaning you'll need to pay another ten or twenty dollars to have a legitimately 'full' game, and as such, the entire experience. This may not be a big deal to some gamers, but I felt offended by the nickel and dime aspect of it, and so I felt that it deserved mention, for any potential buyers.

The Multiplayer is arguably the best part of the game. It involves you and up to three of your friends playing on a map, fighting off 11 waves of either Reapers, Geth, or Cerberus, completing Objectives along the way, before fighting off hordes of enemies at the Landing Zone as you wait for extraction. You'll find it quickly becomes predictable and repetitive, but the Collectable Card Game style of unlocking things will keep you hooked. You level up your unique Multiplayer characters with Experience, but after every game you also get money, which you use to buy Packs of varying price and value. Each pack comes with new equipment and attachments, with chances for new characters and weapons as well. It's fun and addictive, and also plays a role for your single player experience, adding to your army and galactic readiness.

The downside of Multiplayer is that, to get the best ending, you need to play it. I am aware that Bioware claims you don't, but it is an absolute fact that you do. You start out with 50% Galactic Readiness in Single Player, and it goes down by 3% every in-game day. You need 100% to have full access to the army you gain, and the only way to raise your galactic readiness is to play multiplayer. As such, it is literally impossible to have full reign of your army, and as such, the best ending, without playing Multiplayer.

Overall, Mass Effect 3 is a disappointment. It's not a terrible game, by any means, but it makes far too many promises, and delivers on far too few. Die-hard fans of the series will enjoy it, but will look back on the days of Mass Effect 1 and wonder 'What happened to the game series I fell in love with?'
  10. Apr 17, 2012
    A good, but not serious
    Mean a problem in the beam!!! The control problem in personal hero!! The problem in the comments!!!
    The game is not important to the required level never ....
  11. Apr 30, 2012
    Yeah it's a good game, all the geeks online moaning about the ending need to go get girlfriends or something.
    My mate lent me this, cant say I really understood the space soap opera plot, but the combat is tight, the upgrades meaty, and the sci-fi styling as it should be.

My favourite game so far in 2012 (but probably wont be come christmas).
  12. May 19, 2012
    All I play on this game is the multiplayer. I played the story for about an hour and got really bored with it. Seems to me this game offers a much better multiplayer than it does a story. Although they should give you more maps, stronger weapons and power ups for when you play it on gold challenge. I hear the higher n7 level you get, the better the ending, so you half to earn a betterAll I play on this game is the multiplayer. I played the story for about an hour and got really bored with it. Seems to me this game offers a much better multiplayer than it does a story. Although they should give you more maps, stronger weapons and power ups for when you play it on gold challenge. I hear the higher n7 level you get, the better the ending, so you half to earn a better ending from what I understand, that's mainly why people were let down from this game. But to me the story was just boring. Expand
  13. Apr 27, 2012
    After 2 successful pieces this one was a little bit disappointing... especially ending.. plus poor rpg features.. scanning planets for resources... but overall i can say i had to play and see how the story ended...
  14. May 17, 2012
    Soooooooo many plot holes, the decisions you made through the series pretty much don't count towards the ending. You can skip the first two games and you won't miss anything.
  15. Jul 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hrm.. positives.. much improved combat and a real sense of an end of everything in the events leading up to a last stand against an all powerful enemy, most of your old favorite crew members make an appearance at some point and you can end many long running story arcs satisfyingly on the path to the end.. oh and the soundtrack is really top notch.
    Negatives.. The ending sucks, the new characters are pretty 'meh' the marine dude is just plain dull.. nowhere near enough customization, rpg elements are really threadbare in this game and god that sucks...
  16. Aug 8, 2012
    Really BIG disappointment. ME2 was more RPG-ish than this part, which is basically nothing more than a TPP shooter WITH some possible upgrade options. Crew-mate interaction is less than poor, making it impossible to create any true feeling of a team fighting 'the ultimate enemy.' But, at least I'm a fan of shooter games...
  17. Mar 19, 2012
    I had fun playing the game until the very end. I'm saying that the ending was alright but it should have been better. There are problems running the game. Such as glitchy cutscenes, ridiculous amount of loading, and no HDD install. Multiplayer is okay but it wasn't needed in the first place. The game is better off as single player like it supposed to be from the very beginning. It's notI had fun playing the game until the very end. I'm saying that the ending was alright but it should have been better. There are problems running the game. Such as glitchy cutscenes, ridiculous amount of loading, and no HDD install. Multiplayer is okay but it wasn't needed in the first place. The game is better off as single player like it supposed to be from the very beginning. It's not about entitlement or anything like that. It's about how the ending just shot down many of us from an expected sci-fi action rpg trilogy, when it could have ended in a good show of awesome fireworks with a satisfied ending of closure but it didn't. Expand
  18. Mar 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've always been a fan of the series and have played every game in it. So why a five then? Because of the poor ending. The whole time you feel like your builidng up for something spectacular at the end, then you find out that the reapers are machines killing organics so that they wont be killed by machines! The logic is flawed. Great game up until the end though. I feel bioware should have given the player more closure at the end too. In both dragon age games, the epilogue tells you what happened to everyone. I can only hope that the upcoming dlc for this game gives some form of closure to the series. Expand
  19. Mar 9, 2012
    Bioware released an amazing game that is unfortunately tarnished by the ending. The action and leveling system is vastly improved over ME2, but the conclusion to the trilogy ends in a sour note that may disenfranchise all but the hardest Bioware fans.
  20. May 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best games I have ever played up until the final ten minutes. The series is predicated on cause and effect, but despite your best efforts, there is no true positive ending. I had fun playing this game, but the ending ruined this game, and all prior mass effect games for me. Expand
  21. Nov 30, 2012
    Boring. Dull combat and story. Design and combat way too repetitive.
  22. Fbh
    Mar 8, 2012
    Of what I've played so far the game is quite good. I'm liking the story, characters and the new aditions they made to the gameplay. On one side it's a great game and, IMO, a great final chapter for one of the most important IPs of this console generation.

Then, why a 5???. Because performance sucks on Ps3 with no real reason for it and there are hundreds of people complaining and bioware

Then, why a 5???.
    Because performance sucks on Ps3 with no real reason for it and there are hundreds of people complaining and bioware won't even respond us.
    Most cinematics run at 20 fps and when there is a lot of action it can even drop to 15. Gameplay runs a bit smoother but does also have constant drops to 20fps which have been confirmed (by digital foundry) to produce controller input lag. Having the game run so badly interferes with the enjoyment of the story and gameplay and that just can't be there on a game I payed 60 bucks for like everyone else. Yes, the Ps3 hardware is hard to work with and yes the Unreal engine was built with the Xbox and PC in mind, but If you can't pull off your game on the hardware, then don't release it, that's just how it is.

So if you are in the lucky situation to be ablte to choose on which system to get this game, don't get it for Ps3. And even if Ps3 is your only gaming system, I ask and recommend you to wait a bit and get an used copy. Sadly, this people won't care about the consumer until it starts hurting their wallet. If they keep making millions with poor quality ports they will just keep them comming.
  23. Nov 5, 2012
    At the first time I saw a trailer or in the end as I saw the commercials, then playing through the game and being disappointed at the end. Good Game? Yes! Worst in the series? Yes!
  24. Mar 19, 2012
    Well i will start by saying that im amazed that critics scored this game nearly perfect but not many went into detail about ending, never mention it @ all or simply (and boldly) allowed readers to think the game was great from start to finish, then i happened 2 go "outside the bubble" and found smaller, more obscure reviews and the score factored in that the ending was "literary suicide"Well i will start by saying that im amazed that critics scored this game nearly perfect but not many went into detail about ending, never mention it @ all or simply (and boldly) allowed readers to think the game was great from start to finish, then i happened 2 go "outside the bubble" and found smaller, more obscure reviews and the score factored in that the ending was "literary suicide" as one wrote. as quoted by r. ebert "if you had to ask what it symbolized, then it didnt" and i can say that this very much sums up the ending, struck in awe like many, i wasnt even sure if i had beat the game and had to check mt trophy in order to sort out if i did. thats just it, i felt like i did not know what had just happened and had to wait for the credits to scroll to know its over,and so i convince myself that ok maybe i just did not see the right ending and maybe i got the bad ending, "yes that must be it, w/ so many endings i must have screwed up along the way and got the bad ending" come to find out i got the desired and the most "definative" ending.. so then i go back and replay the mission etc and all the other endings are pretty much identical beside a different color or "end sequence" which consisted of a minute or so animation of walking another direction etc. i wont get into conspiracy theories or anything which is out of context but its kind of hard not to fall prey or offer self to some distraction or debate because we not only invested time, we invested emotion.. hours upon hours of carefully making right choices for a desired import etc, and for what? if i kind of got a heads up from critics that "decisions do not play as significant a role in mass 3 as it did in the prior 2" then i wouldve been able to prepare,lol.. but we are hearing words like art, story telling masterpiece also we were told by bioware that this would have multiple endings, a deeper consequence/decision mechanic, an end which would the opposite from lost, well no it may actually take the belt away from lost for the wtf just happened moment but the fact is that i shouldve known that a game which has a formula that works almost seamlessly, based primarily on decisions as well as story driven sequences which make the gamer care, think and DECIDE, it works so good that while i played every mass efect i made every decision carefully to prep my shep for the import into the next game, so if i am playing a game and already thinking of the next one then the system is almost flawless imo.. BUT it is obvious E.A had a bit of influence and brings me back to my point with this "formula", they deserted it and decided for MASS APPEAL rather than mass effect and i noticed this during the demo and how much emphasis was put on how one can play the game how one wishes and that the game can be toggled to suit any style, dont like stories? choose combat.. hate decisions? well you can toggle that too.. but wait, isnt that the part of mass effect which makes it like few others? and isnt that what i have spent many hours doing to have a desired and effective playthrough as well as end? was it just me or did it feel silly to scan planets this time around? as to say "hey dont want to waste time scanning for elements, well we fixed that too" huh? call me a loser, call me what you want BUT i enjoyed taking my time scanning for minerals and elements and launching probes with a feeling of purpose, because that was one of the many things which made me love this game, felt like what i did mattered and fulfilling. i can understand E.A 's stance from a business perspective, their knowledge and tactics of knowing that the fanbase of mass effect are going to buy this game regardless so lets find some fresh blood, but did the solid core and fan base have to feel jipped, let down, disappointed, confused and as well as angry in exchange for new profits/gains? well the core, the fans well we are mass effect. it breaths because we let it, we let it because it was great ,brought quality and emotion and stood apart from many other games and the exp was one like few others. but as much respect a game/developer may get through time can be undone in ten minutes.. i can not say that mass effect 3 was a bad game, but after putting in hours of decisions, careful choices to have it not effect anything in regards to the end , other than the war assets and "co-op"readiness , well i feel like it was more of a "okay hurry up and get this over with and go play co-op after" the fact remains that mass effect 3 is still a solid game, but an ending which was promised to be the finale we dream about also being admittedly rushed well how does anything rushed ever result to anything other than sub par to par? a game is about the exp,
    mass effect is about a unique and gripping exp BUT the end ruined both..
    its obvious a lot has changed in the gaming industry in the past 5 years, mass effect supports this in every respect, reapers went from FEAR INDUCING to PAWNS.
  25. Apr 13, 2012
    I think 5 is fair. The ending isn't worse than the rest of the game, to be honest? The first game was very good, but since then the series has turned into a mediocre 3rd person shooter for casual gamers. Where are the RPG elements? Gone.
  26. Mar 18, 2012
    Definitely a fun and great game, the multiplayer "horde-like" mode is a great touch and adds a great amount of replayability. The game still features a handful of bugs, slowest loading times around (Roughly 10-30 seconds), and the ending of the game is simply disappointing. The overall game has been changed in some areas, Combat feels better than ever, while the RPG conversational partDefinitely a fun and great game, the multiplayer "horde-like" mode is a great touch and adds a great amount of replayability. The game still features a handful of bugs, slowest loading times around (Roughly 10-30 seconds), and the ending of the game is simply disappointing. The overall game has been changed in some areas, Combat feels better than ever, while the RPG conversational part has been toned down a lot. It's great, but it needed to be a lot better. I am disappointed in those who want Bioware to change the ending, that's like asking an artist to change his painting because he didn't like how it looked. Other than the complainers and some parts of the game, it's definitely a great game. Expand
  27. Mar 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has been dumbed down by the people making it, there is a lot of auto dialogue and some of the renegade choices of the dialogue wheel have been dumbed down too(for example when Ashley asked me to join the normandy I said no and my shep gave her a wrong reason my shep either doesnt need or reason or it because your causing problems). And the ending is something one should witness one his/her own and decide for your self. And they promised your romance would be solved, it was but not nearly in a way i hoped, in fact you can even miss it. And you being in a romance with for example liara she will be calling you her friend until you tell you want more,that after you tell you want in the beginning of the game. wtf? And alot of kasumi style conversations Expand
  28. tcb
    Mar 11, 2012
    The story was disappointing [the ending especially, but not exclusively]. The game crashed 8 times in 25h of game play... Testing anyone? Graphics were sometimes very bad: textures popping in and being loaded 5s into the cut scene. It was still fun to play though [most of the time]. But it didn't live up to it's possibilities and expectations. Pity.
  29. May 29, 2012
    The excellent build up set by Mass effect 1 and 2 was ruined in what could of been the game of the year. Mass Effect 3 has some improvements combat wise over the previous instalments but fails to deliver in any other areas. In Mass Effect 3 there is now a single hub world full of small little fetch quests, there is less Dialogue between your crew, Less crew members and more auto-dialogueThe excellent build up set by Mass effect 1 and 2 was ruined in what could of been the game of the year. Mass Effect 3 has some improvements combat wise over the previous instalments but fails to deliver in any other areas. In Mass Effect 3 there is now a single hub world full of small little fetch quests, there is less Dialogue between your crew, Less crew members and more auto-dialogue which really takes away from the experience. All your choices from the previous games that were suppose to drastically effect Mass effect 3 all boiled down to a similar experience. The game cuts corners on many aspects such as your love interest for example and a missing link between Mass effect 2 and 3. But put all it's flaws aside there are some excellent emotional mission sequences that largely finalised and tied up the side plots mass effect 2 created and these were absolutely brilliant and are fascinating, exhilaration and emotion provoking. The combat is even more fluent and it is still a very enjoyable experience but in the end Mass effect 3 was to decide how it all ended and if it's ending was amazing and previously listed faults could have been ignored, except it wasn't it was awful, never before have I cam across an ending that ruined an entire series and basically put me off gaming for a while altogether, everything was thrown out the window in a nonsensical ending riddled with plotholes and loose ends. leaving the player confused and depressed.

All in all it still has the redeeming qualities that all mass effect games have, it's just the game itself was rushed and really poor in many areas.
  30. Jul 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioware definitely rushed the game to the point where its not acceptable at all to those who played Mass Effect 1&2 from the very beginning. At first I had high hopes for Mass Effect 3 when I've finished Mass Effect 2 because the ending was sooooo epic, there were so many alternative endings. But when I finished ME3 I felt "Huh? Seriously? Is this going to be the end of Mass Effect?" You just cant compare the two when it comes down to storyline, basically everything you can come up with. Expand
  31. Oct 28, 2012
    Easily the weakest in the series. I would agree with the general consensus that it is an incredibly dumbed down version of the previous two games, both in game-play and character interaction, however I thoroughly enjoyed the game regardless. In fact I would rate the game higher if not for the fact that the "extended cut" DLC pretty much is an admission that the game was rushed out the doorEasily the weakest in the series. I would agree with the general consensus that it is an incredibly dumbed down version of the previous two games, both in game-play and character interaction, however I thoroughly enjoyed the game regardless. In fact I would rate the game higher if not for the fact that the "extended cut" DLC pretty much is an admission that the game was rushed out the door without a completed ending. The Ultima VIII to ME2's Ultima VII. Expand
  32. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didn't want to believe it, but it is true. I decided to play a New Game + to get a different ending, and even when making completely different choices in the game, the ending was just about the same lousy ending I got on my first runthrough that I didn't care too much for. So... the endings suck. It's a real kick in the gut because Mass Effect 3 is the last game in the trilogy, which means we should see a climax and resolution. We get a lousy climax and almost no resolution. Not a good way to cap off the series Bioware. Up until the ending, the game played well, except for a few issues with sprinting and rolling (sensitive controls). Mass Effect 3 can be summed up as 99% awesome, 1% WTF. Unfortunately for this game... the 1% conquers the 99%... and that just isn't right. So... I now award Mass Effect 3... even though I don't want to... a 5. For all the fun the game is leading up to the conclusion, the ending leaves you with a bitter aftertaste that won't go away. Expand
  33. Apr 22, 2012
    I just don't know what to think of this game. I was hoping to play a game that would leave me impressed when it was over but I was not impressed at all nor really enthusiastic to finish it. So many parts in this game had the potential to be worth the price but most fell short and I was disappointed in finding myself watching a cut scene instead of playing it out myself. By the way, I don'tI just don't know what to think of this game. I was hoping to play a game that would leave me impressed when it was over but I was not impressed at all nor really enthusiastic to finish it. So many parts in this game had the potential to be worth the price but most fell short and I was disappointed in finding myself watching a cut scene instead of playing it out myself. By the way, I don't remember having seen so many cutscenes in the first two games. This game is apparently the best way they could end a series that had so much potential. I find it kind of hard to believe this was the best Bioware along with EA's support could do. Expand
  34. Mar 24, 2012
    Having just beat mass effect 3, I really don't get what all the nerds were pissing and moaning about. The game wasn't the best in the world, but the ending made sense in the context of what had happened across three games. Did they want the developers to come to their house and personally felate them or something?
  35. Apr 10, 2013
    This Game Started off so brightly the gameplay and many features had been greatly improved upon from mass effect 2 but then dramatically started going downhill. I Liked the idea of having to bring together all the races to fight but then in the final assault you don't actually see any of them. The thing that annoyed me most however was the fact that to get a decent war asset level youThis Game Started off so brightly the gameplay and many features had been greatly improved upon from mass effect 2 but then dramatically started going downhill. I Liked the idea of having to bring together all the races to fight but then in the final assault you don't actually see any of them. The thing that annoyed me most however was the fact that to get a decent war asset level you needed to play online otherwise your level is terrible. this would of been an annoyance but i bought the game second hand so i had no online pass so i couldn't do this... this resulted in everything in the final assault going up and everyone id ever met on the game dying including Garrus which was the final straw really. Other points are that the squad system is lacking i only had the choice of four, there are no recruitment or loyalty missions. Altogether a huge let down Expand
  36. Oct 20, 2014
    Linear and hand-holding. Puzzles have been cut out completely in every way, so the game could almost be played by a chimpanzee. Dialogue options minimized and in-consequential. The story isn't reeeaaally needed and most of the time feels like explosions are all the game cares about. No depth in characters, little realism in outcomes or power structures. But mainly the game is about runningLinear and hand-holding. Puzzles have been cut out completely in every way, so the game could almost be played by a chimpanzee. Dialogue options minimized and in-consequential. The story isn't reeeaaally needed and most of the time feels like explosions are all the game cares about. No depth in characters, little realism in outcomes or power structures. But mainly the game is about running and gunning, so why even care about other aspects if you need a game that does that. Expand
  37. Oct 31, 2012
    Truly amazing game with great graphics and everything else for that matter, but the ending was beyond crap, so spend another 9.99 on a knew one. No thanks.
  38. Jul 27, 2013
    This game really does have great gameplay, the main campaign missions are long, challenging, and engaging, and the gunplay is not too difficult. The character development, as we've come to expect from this series, is great, and the side missions all feel like they matter to the larger purpose of the game.

However, as fun as the game itself is, factors that are beyond the player's

However, as fun as the game itself is, factors that are beyond the player's control bring this game down a huge step, the game is touted as being an RPG, but your choices that you make throughout the game have very little effect on the ending to the game. Also, the fact that multiplayer is necessary to get the best ending is absurd, I bought the game used, and was completely enraged when I learned I had to shell out another $15 dollars just to get the best ending, regardless of how well I played the single player campaign. This, and the day 1 DLC make it impossible for this game to receive the score its gameplay earns.

But for all its flaws, playing this game was incredibly enjoyable (until the ending), and if you aren't one to care about your ending and just want to play a fun sci-fi shooter, I would absolutely recommend this game.
  39. Nov 20, 2013
    Uno de los juegos mas sobre valorados que he probado, tenia muy buenas criticas, nunca pensé en comprarlo, tuve la oportunidad de probarlo por cortesía de Playstation Plus y pude cerciorarme de lo grandiosamente juego que parecía ser y lo malo que en realidad es, nefasto, tragarte escenas con subtitulos super ultra enanos es una vergüenza, los gráficos son muy malos para ser un juego deUno de los juegos mas sobre valorados que he probado, tenia muy buenas criticas, nunca pensé en comprarlo, tuve la oportunidad de probarlo por cortesía de Playstation Plus y pude cerciorarme de lo grandiosamente juego que parecía ser y lo malo que en realidad es, nefasto, tragarte escenas con subtitulos super ultra enanos es una vergüenza, los gráficos son muy malos para ser un juego de Playstation 3, ni que decir de la jugabilidad, es muy mala también, en definitiva, no merece la pena jugarlo, es horrible, no lo recomiendo. Expand
  40. Jun 13, 2014
    This game isn't bad, but its ending is -- it very literally has the worst ending in the history of endings & it takes away from everything else the game did right. Everything you do in the 1st 2.9 games is rendered obsolete by this joke of ending; even w/ the extended cut.

1. Mass Effect 3 is an amazing experience in and of itself. It's also the perfect capstone to a true AAA franchise, offering a poignant conclusion that'll stick long after the credits have rolled. You're standing on the precipice of one of the best games Earth money can buy. [April 2012, p.60]
  2. If ever a game was more about the journey than the destination, it's Mass Effect 3. And what a journey it is. [May 2012, p.71]
  3. The RGP elements have been toned down considerably in favour of more action. For some this will sound like a bad thing, but trust us when we say that Bioware has thought this through. With the Reapers invading, it would be kind off silly to go on a shopping spree on the citadel. [April 2012, p.60]