Mass Effect 3 PlayStation 3

5.6

1. Mar 6, 2012
    The first thing that sticks out for me here upon purchasing it, it's suppose to be an emotionally driven game... yet EVERY character either sounds like a Vulcun or Data from star trek. The game has no emotion what so ever. I'm sorry, am I missing something here? I'm disgusted by the clearly paid off media acting as advertisements for the game rather than reviewers none of them evenThe first thing that sticks out for me here upon purchasing it, it's suppose to be an emotionally driven game... yet EVERY character either sounds like a Vulcun or Data from star trek. The game has no emotion what so ever. I'm sorry, am I missing something here? I'm disgusted by the clearly paid off media acting as advertisements for the game rather than reviewers none of them even attempted to pick this (obviose) problem up.â Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2012
    I would bet Square or Bethesda is at the bottom of these rampant negative user scores. What a shame... I think the game is outstanding, yes it bothers me about the DLC available for $10 but really didn't bother me enough to prevent my purchase of the DLC at the same time I picked up the game. 99% of the 0 scores don't carry a bit of weight!
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    Looking forward to playing out the final part of this trilogy. Judging by the demo, it's gonna be great.

You might just find that the majority off the people criticizing the game and scoring it a big fat 0 are Staff from GAME and GAME-STATION in the UK.
  4. Mar 7, 2012
    Then ideas of things that you love changing into something really bad, you at first trying not to notice that or avoid it with hope that things will be better. Then I played ME 2 I thought that things will change and after developers review criticism of game develop a true masterpiece of game world. But then we saw a total failure of DA2 that become a fantasy clone of ME2. After that weThen ideas of things that you love changing into something really bad, you at first trying not to notice that or avoid it with hope that things will be better. Then I played ME 2 I thought that things will change and after developers review criticism of game develop a true masterpiece of game world. But then we saw a total failure of DA2 that become a fantasy clone of ME2. After that we got a clone of WoW in space (KoTOR) that is failure 2. And now ME3â Expand
  5. Mar 9, 2012
    What happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to trulyWhat happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to truly write at all. Plot holes opening up all around you and with the endings ripped off from Deus Ex makes me wonder what exactly Bioware/EA were thinking when the final script was approved. The endings completely go against the spirit of the series and more than that they are all essentially the same my making every other choice up to that point completely null. I find it even more offensive that almost all of the RPG elements have become so watered down as to be unrecognisable. The conversation wheel which longtime fans of the series such as myself have come to know and love rarely shows up now. And even when it does all it offers is two ways to say the same thing. Even worse, your choices in the previous two make no really substantial difference in this entry either. Even the illusion of choice is gone. You almost don't get to converse with your crew at all. Instead your interaction is mostly limited to selecting them like you do with Zaeed Massani in ME2 and they talk a little bit while you just stand there. This becomes a big problem because ME3 throws in with no real introduction or background characters who are completely new or have only been featured in the Expanded Universe. I like the voice acting and appreciate that the world feels more alive now with background characters talking to one another when you walk by, that is when the sound doesn't drop out. It's unfortunate that the coders haven't learned anything, all the cut scene glitches are back in full force. Including the one where everyone uses the same assault rifle during the cut scene, regardless of whether or not they can even use one. It's nice to see all characters from the first two one last time, a little family reunion if you will. It's a shame that almost none of them will be joining your squad again. I do like the direction ground combat has taken though the removal of heavy weapons is another negative in my book. The day one DLC feels more like game content that was cut out rather than an actual add on. And having this nearly story essential DLC on day one is just plain greedy.

Mostly though I just can't get around the endings. It feels like a punch in the gut to those of us who were big fans of the first two. It's so out of left field that I almost expect M. Night Shyamalan to be responsible for this travesty. It's almost like ending The Lord of the Rings with Frodo riding a nuke into Barad-dûr with a cowboy hat on. I almost wish it would have been a Dallas-"It was all a dream" ending.
  6. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was it - the big and long awaited conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy. So did I enjoy it? Yes - Did I feel cheated after the final credits had rolled past? Most certainly yes.

The combat felt pretty good for an RPG/FPS hybrid. They've learnt from their mistakes in ME2 and brought back a few fan favourites from ME1 such as being able to put modifies on weapons to make them feel/perform differently. The game still has that cinematic feel that Bioware is known for - though the "Paragon/Renegade" system has been taken even further, making most "conflicting" dialogue options moot. Want to get the "optimal" result of a dialogue scene? Just press either the blue or the red text - provided that you've either acted like a do gooder or a downright arse. The concept of "bad / good" choice has been completely removed in favour of this.

The story was/is a mess. This big finale was supposed to tie up loose ends and have a conclusion that would be different depending on your choices in the earlier game - but all "we" are given are 2 (or 3 if you go for the extra curricular classes) endings that leave you with more questions than answers, and feel like a real cop out decision.

Live or die, rescue or kill - all these small and big choices are supposed to shape your universe - but in the end most of these "consequences" will play out exactly the same no matter if you saved someone or killed them, since they all have to tie into the very "on rails" plot that Bioware went for with the game.

The whole "kid who happens to look like the big end baddie" / nightmare sequence was pointless and added nothing to the game. And massive plotholes doesn't help the game either.

Summary: Is ME3 a good game on its own? Yes - it is worth playing. Is it a worthy ending to a long running series of "deep" roleplaying? No, not in the slightest. In fact I feel a little insulted at the "This is how we want your story to end, and nothing you have chosen or done in the prequels matter in the least" road they've gone down.

3 of 10 (Since I don't believe in giving "great" games a perfect 10 - The typical "GOTY" game would get a 7 or 8 at most in my book. 10s are reserved for the classic rare gems that only appear once every so often)
  7. Mar 11, 2012
    Take away the compelling story from the mass effect series and what are you left with? Most people would agree we're left with little more than a sub-par shooter. Bioware often gets a pass on this because the story elements are so strong and interesting. NOT THIS TIME OUT. The story and especially the incomprehensible nonsense ending make for a tale that sucks the awesome not only out ofTake away the compelling story from the mass effect series and what are you left with? Most people would agree we're left with little more than a sub-par shooter. Bioware often gets a pass on this because the story elements are so strong and interesting. NOT THIS TIME OUT. The story and especially the incomprehensible nonsense ending make for a tale that sucks the awesome not only out of this game, but also out of the rest of the franchise which have been building up to an epic ending, where literally NONE of your choices throughout the entire series make an impact. Not having this strong story to keep you going, be prepared to suffer through this sub-par shooter Expand
  8. Mar 20, 2012
    What a masterpiece. This about as much as you can expect out of a video game. Worth at least the 60 bucks. This game, along with games like uncharted, threaten to take video games into a direction where the medium delivers a type of interactive entertainment than no other medium can compete with. People will look back at this game as a tipping point, a game that took the industry in aWhat a masterpiece. This about as much as you can expect out of a video game. Worth at least the 60 bucks. This game, along with games like uncharted, threaten to take video games into a direction where the medium delivers a type of interactive entertainment than no other medium can compete with. People will look back at this game as a tipping point, a game that took the industry in a direction where the term "game" just does not do the product justice. The product is top notch, quality entertainment, and somewhere in this massive package of entertainment there is also a video game. Expand
  9. Mar 21, 2012
    Taken as a stand-alone game I'd likely rate it as around five, and that's with a few points off for the horrible ending.

Having played the previous games, made all the choices that were supposed to affect the ending, and then being stuffed in to the "pick a horrible ending that's almost identical to your other two choices" funnel rather than receiving the promised multiple endings that reflected my choices along the way it not only ruins this game, but the previous two as well.

This is not the game I was promised, it offers no choices, and all of the work I put in to the series is rendered meaningless in the last few minutes of poorly written cop out where the ending of a truly epic series should be.
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    I really enjoyed this return to the series. Very rarely do I play a whole series of games, but this one kept me in. 56 hours of play reported against this one, so they must have done something right!

The same quality of story and voices seems to have been maintained throughout this chapter. Well done bioware.
  11. Apr 21, 2013
    this an awesome game for every mass effect fan the storyline is solid and the multiplayer is fun but i wont talk about the ending just play the game and enjoy it
  12. Jul 27, 2013
    This game really does have great gameplay, the main campaign missions are long, challenging, and engaging, and the gunplay is not too difficult. The character development, as we've come to expect from this series, is great, and the side missions all feel like they matter to the larger purpose of the game.

However, as fun as the game itself is, factors that are beyond the player's

However, as fun as the game itself is, factors that are beyond the player's control bring this game down a huge step, the game is touted as being an RPG, but your choices that you make throughout the game have very little effect on the ending to the game. Also, the fact that multiplayer is necessary to get the best ending is absurd, I bought the game used, and was completely enraged when I learned I had to shell out another $15 dollars just to get the best ending, regardless of how well I played the single player campaign. This, and the day 1 DLC make it impossible for this game to receive the score its gameplay earns.

But for all its flaws, playing this game was incredibly enjoyable (until the ending), and if you aren't one to care about your ending and just want to play a fun sci-fi shooter, I would absolutely recommend this game.
  13. May 27, 2016
    Worth slogging through the tedious first and second games for this. You need to do that to truly care about the events in this game, although ultimately your decisions only have to do with who lives and dies(and the decisions on life or death in the first two games were usually unclear as to the result anyway).

The pacing and plot were done exactly right. This was the first game where

The pacing and plot were done exactly right. This was the first game where decisions actually seemed to matter, and I legitimately had to think over. Most importantly, your decision had the intended consequence, including dialogue(opposite of the Mass Effect 2 guessing game). This never happened in the second game, and rarely in the first. the graphics are unreal and totally immersive. Same with the sound and voice acting.

As far as the negatives. The endings were basically ripoffs of the Deus Ex endings, not THAT bad except you don't get a choice in the ending unless you grind side quests. The only steps back I'd say were the gameplay(Press X for anything so it never does what you want it to, and the weapons although diversified had no kick to them like in the first two), and the world building(took a step back from the quest hubs in ME 2). Enemy and Team AI was much better this time around.
  14. tcb
    Mar 11, 2012
    The story was disappointing [the ending especially, but not exclusively]. The game crashed 8 times in 25h of game play... Testing anyone? Graphics were sometimes very bad: textures popping in and being loaded 5s into the cut scene. It was still fun to play though [most of the time]. But it didn't live up to it's possibilities and expectations. Pity.
  15. Mar 8, 2012
    I love it, gotten goosebumps playing this game more than I can ever recall from a video game. Seeing how so many characters that I care about have grown, is fantastic. I love the job the writers did with many of the characters. Certain ones that I felt lacked emotion early on in the series and didn't like as much as others, really seem to have evolved. Very pleased with Mass Effect 3.
  16. Feb 22, 2013
    Despite alot of criticism, Mass Effect 3 remains one of the greatest rpg/fps games available, the ending really angered me, but after Bioware dlc was released for an extended ending i believe it to be better. Not perfect but better. As a hardcore fan of the franchise i have played each game several times with different outcomes and the choices you make have huge impact on the story.Despite alot of criticism, Mass Effect 3 remains one of the greatest rpg/fps games available, the ending really angered me, but after Bioware dlc was released for an extended ending i believe it to be better. Not perfect but better. As a hardcore fan of the franchise i have played each game several times with different outcomes and the choices you make have huge impact on the story. Despite alot of criticism this is a personal favourite. 8.5/10 Expand
  17. Dec 20, 2012
    Very enjoyable! I gave ME1 a 7, ME2 a 9 and this one a 8. For those with complains about the end, go read Dune Cycle from Frank Herbert, the last book is about the same, you don't get any answers, you're maybe a little pissed off but hell, you just want more! Dune was a success and so this title is in my mind. However, what disappointed me is that it look like my choices don't have muchVery enjoyable! I gave ME1 a 7, ME2 a 9 and this one a 8. For those with complains about the end, go read Dune Cycle from Frank Herbert, the last book is about the same, you don't get any answers, you're maybe a little pissed off but hell, you just want more! Dune was a success and so this title is in my mind. However, what disappointed me is that it look like my choices don't have much impact in the end on what happen in-game... but I didn't realize it before read it over the internet, so maybe the replay value is a less than it could be, but playing it was as I said, very enjoyable. Expand
  18. May 16, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece. You may have heard some people are upset at the ending, but nothing can ruin what an thrill it was to go through the game, catch up with old characters, and have some inspirational moments I will never forget. Don't just play Mass Effect 3, play ME1, ME2, AND ME3. It definitely the most impressive gaming experience I've ever had.
  19. Mar 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've always been a fan of the series and have played every game in it. So why a five then? Because of the poor ending. The whole time you feel like your builidng up for something spectacular at the end, then you find out that the reapers are machines killing organics so that they wont be killed by machines! The logic is flawed. Great game up until the end though. I feel bioware should have given the player more closure at the end too. In both dragon age games, the epilogue tells you what happened to everyone. I can only hope that the upcoming dlc for this game gives some form of closure to the series. Expand
  20. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing, it combines the things i loved about the first 2 games into a highly entertaining experience. Some hardcore RPG fans may be put off because of the higher emphasis on action but most of the things that made the first 2 great are here. The game doesn't deserve this user rating i dont get what people could possibly complain about, it is the conclusion to oneThis game is absolutely amazing, it combines the things i loved about the first 2 games into a highly entertaining experience. Some hardcore RPG fans may be put off because of the higher emphasis on action but most of the things that made the first 2 great are here. The game doesn't deserve this user rating i dont get what people could possibly complain about, it is the conclusion to one of the greatest franchises of all time. Stop spamming and **** about this game cause it doesn't deserve it. Expand
  21. Mar 6, 2012
    It's a great game with a great story line. The only thing that I don't like about the game is that because I like to be perfect, I usually would spend hours just going back and choose all the choices that are given which is a pain in the ass. But other than that, it's a great game and I definitely recommend it to those who enjoy this genre of games.
  22. Mar 6, 2012
    A terrific game.Bioware has really outdone itself in this final installment.Everything including the game play, the story and the music has been improved. This has got to be the most emotionally compelling experience in video game history. The ending though was depressing and I would would have preferred a happier ending. If anyone deserved a happy ending it was Shepard but it was stillA terrific game.Bioware has really outdone itself in this final installment.Everything including the game play, the story and the music has been improved. This has got to be the most emotionally compelling experience in video game history. The ending though was depressing and I would would have preferred a happier ending. If anyone deserved a happy ending it was Shepard but it was still beautiful. My favorite Mass Effect game and deserves a perfect 10. Expand
  23. Mar 12, 2012
    Bioware/EA. Just look at there last few releases and everything that's wrong with them, now add all that onto the fact the series was actually kind of ok, and you have what is akin to.. Say.. A young attractive women who had a wonderful career/life ahead of her, who in one fell swoop, was beaten and raped repeatedly over and over and over until even the dregs of society wouldn't want toBioware/EA. Just look at there last few releases and everything that's wrong with them, now add all that onto the fact the series was actually kind of ok, and you have what is akin to.. Say.. A young attractive women who had a wonderful career/life ahead of her, who in one fell swoop, was beaten and raped repeatedly over and over and over until even the dregs of society wouldn't want to touch her with a ten foot poll in case of catching herpes or aids.

That's what Mass Effect 3 is like, basically.
  24. Jun 15, 2012
    There are 2 reasons why most people hate this game or gave it such a low score. 1: The ending, although its not a great ending. This is not burger king. You cant always have things your away. Its still a great game overall. If you gave it such a low score cause of the ending..You need to stop being full of yourself. Still a great game. 2: Gay scenes..If you get offended because of thatThere are 2 reasons why most people hate this game or gave it such a low score. 1: The ending, although its not a great ending. This is not burger king. You cant always have things your away. Its still a great game overall. If you gave it such a low score cause of the ending..You need to stop being full of yourself. Still a great game. 2: Gay scenes..If you get offended because of that there's an easy solution. Its simple..Don't get in a gay romance. Avoid it. You don't have to be in the gay relationship. Don't be ignorant and hate on this game for silly non important things. In life you cant always have things your way. Its a great game which is what matters. Lots of movies, lots of games have really horrible ending and you know what that's okay. The developers wanted that ending so they gave us that ending. We cant be spoil and want everything to be perfect cause nothing in life is perfect. Even if the ending was different people would still find ways to critique this game. Overall..like i said..This is a great game. Im new to the mass effect franchise and this is the first one that i played and i love it. Nothing is wrong with it. Don't let little things or silly things, non important things change your opinion. The game play the overall feel of the game is great. Which is what matters at the end of the day. Expand
  25. Apr 4, 2012
    Okay, first off I have to say that this game, despite its flaws is no where near being a zero, so enough of your and all of the pouty fanboy **** in the world couldn't convince me otherwise. This game is such an improvement in so many ways; my only real complaint would be the ending . Despite your earlier decisions Shepard's story seems to end at the conclusion of this game. And theOkay, first off I have to say that this game, despite its flaws is no where near being a zero, so enough of your and all of the pouty fanboy **** in the world couldn't convince me otherwise. This game is such an improvement in so many ways; my only real complaint would be the ending . Despite your earlier decisions Shepard's story seems to end at the conclusion of this game. And the ending itself veers off much much too far into the realm of fantasy for my taste (or most people's tastes given the low scores). The ending of ME3 probably rates as one of the biggest letdowns in video game history in fact, because the three games were all so fun with such rich backstories and great characters. I am saddened to see Mass Effect go out this way, but cmon you all know it deserves better than a one or a zero. 8/10 Expand
  26. Mar 6, 2012
    Almost no content, one ending, bland dialog, repetitive and incredibly easy combat and animations that look like the game came out in 2007 make this game look rushed. Do not buy this for any reason other than to see what NOT to do when making a game.
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    Instead of an amazing finale to one of the best franchises in last 10 years, all we get is one big grim disappointment. Either way, endings can be described as "Life sucks then you die". Can't say this is what I was expecting. Ironically, it turned out to be that what Bioware was to Mass Effect is what Reapers were to the galaxy in game. You could say it's hard to believe that developersInstead of an amazing finale to one of the best franchises in last 10 years, all we get is one big grim disappointment. Either way, endings can be described as "Life sucks then you die". Can't say this is what I was expecting. Ironically, it turned out to be that what Bioware was to Mass Effect is what Reapers were to the galaxy in game. You could say it's hard to believe that developers have dropped their quality bars so much, but after Dragon Age 2 and Old Republic, it was more or less predictable. Expand
  28. Mar 6, 2012
    This game has been ruined by EA. The Bioware that made Mass Effect 1 and 2 is gone. Mass Effect 3 has been made to cater to the lowest common denominator. While the first one was a little rough around the edges, the second was perfect. Three however, is too far. In terms of visuals, they are too dark, made to look like the current CoD games. This is an RPG, not an seasonal shooter. PleaseThis game has been ruined by EA. The Bioware that made Mass Effect 1 and 2 is gone. Mass Effect 3 has been made to cater to the lowest common denominator. While the first one was a little rough around the edges, the second was perfect. Three however, is too far. In terms of visuals, they are too dark, made to look like the current CoD games. This is an RPG, not an seasonal shooter. Please EA, get your hands out of where they shouldn't be, and let game studios make games for their fans, not for your wallets.â Expand
  29. Mar 6, 2012
    I really liked the game. It feels quite a bit like ME2 to be honest though, the combat mechanics really have not changed very much. I was disappointed because I wanted to see a bit more, but nonetheless, I still love the game. I actually traded in terrible mw3 to get this game and I have no regrets doing it, I know I will playing the game for a while from now and attempt to get everyI really liked the game. It feels quite a bit like ME2 to be honest though, the combat mechanics really have not changed very much. I was disappointed because I wanted to see a bit more, but nonetheless, I still love the game. I actually traded in terrible mw3 to get this game and I have no regrets doing it, I know I will playing the game for a while from now and attempt to get every trophy possible. One aspect I do not like is that the game is not entirely free world, the maps are somewhat small but still, how could you make space an open world because this is not SWTOR. I would recommend this game to anyone, although I would read up on the previous games if you have not played any of the others. Expand
  30. Mar 7, 2012
    The day-one DLC makes this a 0/10 title. Under NO circumstances should it be okay for developers to release day-one DLC unless itâ
  31. Mar 7, 2012
    Day 1 DLC aside, this game was quite possibly the biggest disappointment so far. The story and especially its end was an incredible let-down, driven by boring, static dialogue. All of the 'new' characters lack depth and character or end up being completely irritating due to bad writing. Gameplay is lacking, RPG elements almost completely removed and the oh so praised 'Cinematic Experience'Day 1 DLC aside, this game was quite possibly the biggest disappointment so far. The story and especially its end was an incredible let-down, driven by boring, static dialogue. All of the 'new' characters lack depth and character or end up being completely irritating due to bad writing. Gameplay is lacking, RPG elements almost completely removed and the oh so praised 'Cinematic Experience' destroyed by awkward animations.

Try again without EA, Bioware.
  32. Mar 7, 2012
    PROS:
    - Shiny new cutscenes
    - Wonderful Clint Mansell soundtrack - Better combat, particularly melee (plays like the melee in Dragon Age 2, one button does everything), improved powers - Smarter enemy AIs CONS: - One button does everything in combat - Ridiculously **** dialogue - Forces sexuality into everything (I could give concrete examples, but I may give away spoilers). I will say
    PROS:
    - Shiny new cutscenes
    - Wonderful Clint Mansell soundtrack
    - Smarter enemy AIs

CONS:
    - One button does everything in combat
    - Ridiculously **** dialogue
    - Forces sexuality into everything (I could give concrete examples, but I may give away spoilers). I will say this much: EDI, and, this small segment of dialogue:
    Shepherd: I hope you're alright, Kaiden
    Kaiden: Are you flirting with me, Commander? This is literal dialogue and not a joke
    - Rubbish, rubbish, dialogue. Cringe worthy. Nearly all the time. Some characters do save the ****show, like Garrus.
    - They actually used a voice changer (blatantly obvious) to use less voice actors (if you don't believe me, once you get to the Citadel you will be able to hear it)
    - Rehashed animations from the last game (lack of innovation)
    -Filters, filters everywhere
    -Cheap emotional pulls and attempts at emotional manipulation EVERYWHERE. It's like they used this to replace bad writing.
    - SEVERELY LIMITED DIALOGUE OPTIONS. If I wanted to play a shooter, I would have. Two dialogue options? Most dialogues with no options whatsoever? Poor show.
    -Totally retconns the lore established in the previous games

Overall this game shows a shocking lack of attention to detail and blatantly ignores what the fans wanted (contrary to what the developers claim all the time. No one wanted this). The voice acting is stiff and so is the animation. Complete lack of innovation and the only thing they improved was the fighting - to add to this, they even used well-known stock images as some of their sources and the copies are glaring - look up "winter on mars" and you should see what I mean, if you've beaten the game. They force sexuality on the player, and if you reject it then the characters hate yours. This series has ended on a bad note. For fans of the series, it sucks majorly. For people who want a shooter, play Call of Duty or Gears of War instead.
  33. Mar 9, 2012
    Its an amazing game all the way up till the last 5 mins. I didn't think it was possible but we have an ending so bad that it ruins the entire series. I can't even think about playing any of the other ME games after watching this ending.

So in short its a 9 up til the last 5 mins

The last 5 mins are so incredibly bad that it pushes the game down to a 4.
  34. Mar 9, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, this game is playable and I'm sure if you had no standards or simply didn't care you could pick up this game and have a midly enjoyable experience. BUT the atrocities EA and Bioware committed mean I cannot give this game a decent rating with a good conscience. So what is so bad about this game? Let me tell you:
    1. Day 1 DLC: Whether it was EA or Bioware (Biowhore, if
    1. Day 1 DLC: Whether it was EA or Bioware (Biowhore, if you will) that decided to take this course I don't know, but releasing DLC on the day of release, particularly DLC which is important to the plot, at 1/6 the price of the game itself is unforgivable in of itself. It seems they are laughing in our face as we shell out money for something that should have been on the disc, available to everyone. It is obvious that it was done simply to milk as much money out of the fans as possible.
    2. Casualisation: The game was geared towards Call of Duty players in order to cash in on the series' success, while abandoning the loyal fanbase. Not much else to say here.
    3. Shoddy Writing: Many uninformed people think that the attacks on the Bioware employee Jennifer Hepler was simply a display of hate for the sake of hate. While they certainly did go overboard, it wasn't without good reason. She was the physical manifestation of the quality of writing coming from Bioware. Examples: Dialogue is awkward, the ending is notoriously bad, after seeing so many people die and killing so many himself, Sephard is emotianally effected by the death of a random kid above all. Overall you would expect something better from a Naruto fanfiction. 4. Laziness of Bioware: For a big budget, triple A game you would expect a certain level of effort from the developers. Bioware, however seemed to have taken shortcuts left, right and centre. There are images circulating the internet which demonstrate this quite well. For example, Copying a stock image for the portrait of a character who dies in the game, and copying another 7? year old image lying around in the internet for the ending.
    5. Ininspired Multiplayer: Another cash-in, Wave survival modes have been done to death, nowadays every game seems to have one. It seems this was added in to artificially extend the life of the game and make an excuse for future half-assed DLC releases.
    6. Gay Sex: people reading this may call 'Hurr durr homophobe" - but wait to read my reasoning. Homosexuality IS a sin. Being implemented in such as fashion acts to 'casualise' it, pressing on the impressionable 13 year old minds (whose uninformed mothers will be buying this game) that it is fine and acceptable. I do not hate **** I care about them, just as I do any other person. For this reason I oppose it.
    Even if this is an attempt to cash-in with the gay audience rather than a political agenda, it gets in the way of the average straight player and does not belong. I do not want to have gay passes made to me by my squadmates when I'm playing a game.
    7. Reviewers are sellouts: This goes for every major game release nowadays, but is absolutely appalling. While I'm not implying that EA is necessarily directly paying reviewers to give the game good reviews (not that I'd put it past them) there is certainly a feel that if you don't give it a good review the publisher early access to future releases. I have heard of cases where people have lost their job because they wrote how the felt rather than what they were told to write. This is why I'm writing this review in fact - to help get a bit of truth out.
    Instead of a proper, objective review we are fed tripe with 10/10 would play again bs.

Due to all these aformentioned problems with Mass Effect 3, I cannot take it seriously, thus it receives a score of 0/10. The only reason it has earned a 1 from me is because the Biodrone tears are absolutely delicious.
    Have a good day sirs.
  35. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass effect 3 a epic conclusion? More like a epic disappointment.
    I felt that the ending was a major slap in my face and leave a bitter taste
    in your mouth!
  36. Mar 10, 2012
    The game featured a promising start. It was exciting to finally see everything you did in the last 2 games make a difference in Mass Effect 3... Only that it didn't. Nothing you did in the game has a result or consequence in this game, not even the stuff you do in Mass Effect 3. You can't do any major choices during the game. The combat feels like a bad version of Gears of War. The endingThe game featured a promising start. It was exciting to finally see everything you did in the last 2 games make a difference in Mass Effect 3... Only that it didn't. Nothing you did in the game has a result or consequence in this game, not even the stuff you do in Mass Effect 3. You can't do any major choices during the game. The combat feels like a bad version of Gears of War. The ending is horrible and makes the whole story of Shepard from the first game to the third feel irrelevant. Expand
  37. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A strong opening that loses steam during the halfway point, PS3 frame rate issues and weak endings for such a long, three game journey leaves something to be desired from the end of such a great trilogy. No doubt from the community backlash the "real ending" will be in some sort of disgusting DLC package. If you're emotionally invested in the game I suggest a purchase, but perhaps when the price has been cut. Expand
  38. Mar 13, 2012
    Being the best gaming series I have played it is a sad day when you reach the finishing line and it is as horrible as it is. I love the Mass Effect games, heart and soul and I've played them through countless times. This rating is purely to voice my utter dissatisfaction with how the game ends. I'm not one of those that want a good happy ending and it is not because of some gay sexsceneBeing the best gaming series I have played it is a sad day when you reach the finishing line and it is as horrible as it is. I love the Mass Effect games, heart and soul and I've played them through countless times. This rating is purely to voice my utter dissatisfaction with how the game ends. I'm not one of those that want a good happy ending and it is not because of some gay sexscene (seriously, do journalists actually believe the crap they are putting out??). It is simply because the current ending (NOT endingS, mind you) makes absolutely no sense. Why is there no difference between the endings? WHY doesn't my choices make any difference what so ever. In a stroke of sheer genious BW implements transfer of savegames which all amounts to a **** nothing come the absurd end. I never write reviews but I love this game to damn much to not make my voice heard. This game doesn't deserve this, it should have top ratings. Expand
  39. Mar 13, 2012
    Too good to miss. Ignore the user negative reviews. They have nothing to do with the game. This trilogy is one of the best gaming experiences I've had. There are some quibbles, but it's hard to complain about a game who's story makes me care.
  40. Mar 13, 2012
    Mass Effect was a good game in my opening and DLC at 1st day is not the best way to make consumers happy. The story was great and the multiplier is optional which is great for who just want to play the story aspect and want to ignore the multiplier. The ending was not as bad as i thought reading all the review on who terribly it is but if you are looking for a game that makes all ofMass Effect was a good game in my opening and DLC at 1st day is not the best way to make consumers happy. The story was great and the multiplier is optional which is great for who just want to play the story aspect and want to ignore the multiplier. The ending was not as bad as i thought reading all the review on who terribly it is but if you are looking for a game that makes all of your decisions of the past years matter mass effect 3 is a good game. There are little texture drops and a few bugs but if you looking for a solid multiplier and a great finale to a story that you have been waiting for then this a good game. It lost some points due to the fact of fetch quests that are there in the game that takes the weight of the story away and the DLC was actually important to the story line, and should have been provided in the game it self. Expand
  41. Mar 14, 2012
    I thought the game was awesome up until the end. I hating the ending and I think BW can do much better. That said, the triology was still one of the most awesome gaming experiences that I've ever had and will be much better if they change the ending. While I think the real score I would rate this is about a 7 or 8 I am giving it a 10 based on the rest of the game and previous games and toI thought the game was awesome up until the end. I hating the ending and I think BW can do much better. That said, the triology was still one of the most awesome gaming experiences that I've ever had and will be much better if they change the ending. While I think the real score I would rate this is about a 7 or 8 I am giving it a 10 based on the rest of the game and previous games and to try and offset the other people trolling on here that are obviously marking the score low because of the ending. I think BW deserves a fair score.â Expand
  42. Mar 15, 2012
    Fantastic game in almost all senses of the word. Great story, great characters, great gameplay, but then it all gets ruined by an awful ending. I mean bad. If you do buy it, stop it right after Shepard talks to his crew before the final push and don't go further.
  43. Mar 16, 2012
    Breaks cannon, massive plot holes, incomplete game. While this is the final chapter in one of my most cherished series, there is very little that remains after a botched ending that can be considered good.
  44. Mar 18, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, ME3 is an AMAZING GAME! It's just the ending that pisses me of. I've spent five years on this franchise working hard to make all the right choice in order to have a closure that suits my expectations! However, the ending made me feel as if none of that mattered! I've lost interest in continuing the game or even replay anywhere in the near future. I was also frustratedDon't get me wrong, ME3 is an AMAZING GAME! It's just the ending that pisses me of. I've spent five years on this franchise working hard to make all the right choice in order to have a closure that suits my expectations! However, the ending made me feel as if none of that mattered! I've lost interest in continuing the game or even replay anywhere in the near future. I was also frustrated by BW's day-one DLC policy! It made me feel cheep! As I'm nothing but money-milking mating for the Big Gaming Kahunas. THE ENDING MUST BE CORRECTED! BW is a great company that makes great RPG's. I'm confident that they won't disappoint their fans for long. Maybe! Expand
  45. Mar 19, 2012
    This game is amazing. The characters are well fleshes out, the conflicts are fulfilling and worthy of the series. The gameplay is solid, though it lacks the RPG elements it commonly boasts itself to hold. It kind of just feels like just a shooter sometimes. The ending is crappy, but don't let that be the only reason you should refuse to buy this game. It's still a 30 hour roller coaster ofThis game is amazing. The characters are well fleshes out, the conflicts are fulfilling and worthy of the series. The gameplay is solid, though it lacks the RPG elements it commonly boasts itself to hold. It kind of just feels like just a shooter sometimes. The ending is crappy, but don't let that be the only reason you should refuse to buy this game. It's still a 30 hour roller coaster of a time even if the last 10 minutes made you want to punch our your TV. Expand
  46. Mar 20, 2012
    For some reason the guage didnt change when i submitted my last review so...dont play this game until the ending is fixed. The game was good but the end ruins not only this game but the entire franchise.
  47. Mar 20, 2012
    Nothing but hatred on these reviews so far it looks like. All I have to say is that I've dropped hours and hours into the multiplayer coop and see no signs of stopping. People need to get off their high horse and actually have fun with games. I haven't dabbled into the single player story yet but my assumption is the low score is due to fan-boys getting all bent out of shape due toNothing but hatred on these reviews so far it looks like. All I have to say is that I've dropped hours and hours into the multiplayer coop and see no signs of stopping. People need to get off their high horse and actually have fun with games. I haven't dabbled into the single player story yet but my assumption is the low score is due to fan-boys getting all bent out of shape due to unrealistic expectations. I'll get around to the single player campaign at some point but for those of you who love coop based coordination and surprisingly deep strategy laced online play with tons and tons of unlockables, the multiplayer alone is worth the asking price. Expand
  48. Mar 28, 2012
    Everyone has pretty much already said everything there is about wether the ending is good or bad so i wont talk about that. All i say is keep an open mind and you might enjoy it. I thought overall it was a pretty good game game with interesting features such as how you can customize your weapons more to your fighting style. This game does a good job at telling you what everyone is up toEveryone has pretty much already said everything there is about wether the ending is good or bad so i wont talk about that. All i say is keep an open mind and you might enjoy it. I thought overall it was a pretty good game game with interesting features such as how you can customize your weapons more to your fighting style. This game does a good job at telling you what everyone is up to and concludes the small endings pretty well. I think my biggest complaint was how there was not as many team members to choose from as there was in the last game and not as many speech options and situations were you could choose the speech. I don't really care that the ending might not be that diverse and am kinda glad too because it makes the ending more finite. The real reason i play this game is not for the big story of saving the universe but the small story of the people you deal with and the interactions with them. That part of the game makes it more real, knowing your fighting to save your lover is more important than saving strangers. I feel this game may have some small flaws but it more than makes up for it by the deep story it tells along the way. If you enjoyed LOST, then you will absolutely love this game. My biggest gripe and recommendation for the next Mass Effect game if there ever is one is more lesbian relationships, not really a complaint but something I personally would like. This is a great experience with great relationships both friends and lovers of either sex alike. This is a epic tail that I would recommend for anyone who enjoys a good story. Expand
  49. Mar 20, 2012
    One of the most profoundly disappointing endings to any story in any medium. The writers removed the cornerstone in which the entire story was built upon - choice and consequence. So, the entire building comes crashing down at the end. In the end, none of the choices your character makes throughout three games matter. All the relationships you've built are meaningless. There is no closureOne of the most profoundly disappointing endings to any story in any medium. The writers removed the cornerstone in which the entire story was built upon - choice and consequence. So, the entire building comes crashing down at the end. In the end, none of the choices your character makes throughout three games matter. All the relationships you've built are meaningless. There is no closure in the relationships made, whether between LIs or squad mates. They never come to fruition, and there is no resolution. ME3 was advertised to have a multitude of outcomes based upon players' choices. That's what originally made the Mass Effect franchise such a great success. The finale should have raised the player to great heights or taken the player to despair... and everywhere between based upon the consequences of the player's decisions throughout the entirety of the series(Paragon, Renegade, or somewhere in between). BioWare should have finished their remarkable work on the strengths that it was built on. Choice and consequence. It seemed like a given, but... You leave the game feeling complete and utter disappointment. It is truly remarkable how an ending can be so profoundly and remarkably bad. It truly destroys the franchise entirely. This is not an easy thing to say, as I've loved the series from the start. There is no replay value at all. BioWare has ruined years of work in the last ten minutes on what should have been one of the greatest RPGs of all time. It will be a study in the future on how not to end a story franchise. Expand
  50. Mar 29, 2012
    I have been a fan of the series for half a decade, and I was really looking forward to the third installment of Mass Effect 3. As a result the game managed to disappoint me beyond what I thought was possible. Bioware has created something so awful that retroactively makes the whole series pointless, and I doubt I will ever bother with this series again. Add in shameless day 1 DLC, whichI have been a fan of the series for half a decade, and I was really looking forward to the third installment of Mass Effect 3. As a result the game managed to disappoint me beyond what I thought was possible. Bioware has created something so awful that retroactively makes the whole series pointless, and I doubt I will ever bother with this series again. Add in shameless day 1 DLC, which clearly was an important part of the game to begin with, and you have one of the worst sequels in RPG history Expand
  51. Mar 31, 2012
    Loved all the mass effect games, why would they destroy such a wonderfull series with such a blatantly illogical LAST 5 MIN... I justify my score with the following articles and videos:

1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E
    2-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

Fix this ending plz.
  52. May 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best games I have ever played up until the final ten minutes. The series is predicated on cause and effect, but despite your best efforts, there is no true positive ending. I had fun playing this game, but the ending ruined this game, and all prior mass effect games for me. Expand
  53. Jul 1, 2012
    The problems that everyone had with the ending have been fixed with the Extended Cut and additional closure and clarification was added making this game the ideal choice for purchase if you haven't already. :)
  54. Jul 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hrm.. positives.. much improved combat and a real sense of an end of everything in the events leading up to a last stand against an all powerful enemy, most of your old favorite crew members make an appearance at some point and you can end many long running story arcs satisfyingly on the path to the end.. oh and the soundtrack is really top notch.
    Negatives.. The ending sucks, the new characters are pretty 'meh' the marine dude is just plain dull.. nowhere near enough customization, rpg elements are really threadbare in this game and god that sucks...
  55. Oct 30, 2012
    allthough the ending wasn't what many would be looking for, this is still the fantastic ending to one of the greatest video game series of our time. You the man shepard
  56. Jan 10, 2014
    ME3 is a perfect ending to one of the greatest game series of all time. Great multiplayer too. Even after all this time people are still playing it. No trouble finding matches.
  57. Mar 11, 2012
    A 0 for a buggy unplayable mess.If game worked a 8.Mass effect 2 was made on the ps3 because of the added stuff and it plays way better.i dont know why they dont even say they are going to patch the game.
  58. Mar 12, 2012
    It's great. More of ME2, which is what I wanted. The ending may be disappointing to a certain extent -- but how can it not be? It's the end of ME! Very fun game.

Giving a low score because of day 1 DLC or Origin is dumb.
  59. Jul 14, 2012
    Woah. Have just completed the best game I've ever played. (I didn't anything would take the title from the circa 1994 System Shock). An evolutionary progression that somehow results in a game a generation on from anything else I've played. Emotionally engaging in a way few films or books and even fewer games manage. Gameplay mechanics are both harder and vastly improved on ME2's (whichWoah. Have just completed the best game I've ever played. (I didn't anything would take the title from the circa 1994 System Shock). An evolutionary progression that somehow results in a game a generation on from anything else I've played. Emotionally engaging in a way few films or books and even fewer games manage. Gameplay mechanics are both harder and vastly improved on ME2's (which were almost embarrassingly bad) and have evolved into a rock solid shooter, while keeping the same richness of story. The narrative is much tighter than ME2's and can feel more limited but the trade off is some truly amazing substories. The ending is a little 'thin' but is interesting enough and can hardly be described as 'disappointing'. Expand
  60. Mar 25, 2012
    Gameplay, multiplayer, storyline, all get a 10/10. The ending, however, ruined the experience completely. Don't play this, leave it at ME2 and treat that as the final game in the series, that way you won't be terribly disappointed.
  61. May 2, 2012
    Haters are always going to hate. Yes the ending was bad but the whole game is still in my top three of my favorite games ever, its a classic and I hope the ending DLC will make the ending awesome so that this game can take the deserved place of my favorite game of all time.
  62. Mar 24, 2012
    Having just beat mass effect 3, I really don't get what all the nerds were pissing and moaning about. The game wasn't the best in the world, but the ending made sense in the context of what had happened across three games. Did they want the developers to come to their house and personally felate them or something?
  63. Mar 6, 2012
    From the timelimited quests that you get from walking around (and you can't see the actual time limit) to the numerous dumb deaths of characters. The gameplay is, of course, even further dumbed down yet again. The writing is like something out of fanfiction, and the Reapers get retconned to hell and back.
  64. Mar 6, 2012
    Terrible animations, graphics, and gameplay. All wrapped together in the first game that allows you to skip the game. The clear worst in the series, and everything wrong with modern videogames.
  65. Mar 6, 2012
    A slap in the face to the people who liked Mass Effect 1. The series has changed so much that it's sad. In stead of trying to make a good game for the RPG-fans, Bioware has lowered themselves to the level of Infinity Ward, and make sellout- and actionpacked games without no depth. Stupid dialogue, bad shooting, awful story, moronic characters and Day 1 DLC. Stay away from this game.
  66. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware retrurns to the stage to provide a magnificent end to an epic series!

Mass Effect 3 provides beautiful scenery, invigorating combat, heart wrenching stories and an all around immersive experience. Bioware has once again proven that they are one of the greatest developers around! Check out Mass Effect 3 available on EA Origin alongside other great hits such as: Battlefield 3, The
    Bioware retrurns to the stage to provide a magnificent end to an epic series!

Check out Mass Effect 3 available on EA Origin alongside other great hits such as: Battlefield 3, The Sims 3, annd Star Wars - The Old Republic!
  67. Mar 6, 2012
    Gameplay feels worse than before and they pretty much just ignored the previous lore. How they could mess it up so bad is anybody's guess. This game was made by EA for the sole purpose of making money off the Mass Effect name.
  68. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware made 2 fantastic games in Mass Effect and Mass Effec 2 where you controlled Commander Shepard. Your Shepard. In Mass Effect 3 Bioware has taken the commander back. Many choices from the first 2 games have minimal changes with some flat out retconned. The dialogue is gone, even with full decisions on it's like watching a movie instead of an interactive story. Add in mandatory DLCBioware made 2 fantastic games in Mass Effect and Mass Effec 2 where you controlled Commander Shepard. Your Shepard. In Mass Effect 3 Bioware has taken the commander back. Many choices from the first 2 games have minimal changes with some flat out retconned. The dialogue is gone, even with full decisions on it's like watching a movie instead of an interactive story. Add in mandatory DLC for the "best" possible on day 1 and what you get is a game that spits in the face of fans of the first 2 installments and ruins what should have been the best triology of games in the past decade Expand
  69. Mar 6, 2012
    DLC,DlC,DLC, what a complete failure, Bioware, I was incredibly dissapointed of this game, and dissapointed of you, what a tragedy, I hope everyone over there is ashamed of themselves, making us pay on the first day... What a load of bull, I hate everyone over there, Sincerely, Vee Bass
  70. Mar 6, 2012
    Instead of just complaining because of day 1 DLC and not helping readers actually get a sense of what this game is about, here's an ACTUAL review! First off, if you loved the first two games, odds are that you'll enjoy this one as well. Wraps up the series nicely, with closure on all ends. You can customize your weapons more so than the previous game, and shooting bad guys feels much moreInstead of just complaining because of day 1 DLC and not helping readers actually get a sense of what this game is about, here's an ACTUAL review! First off, if you loved the first two games, odds are that you'll enjoy this one as well. Wraps up the series nicely, with closure on all ends. You can customize your weapons more so than the previous game, and shooting bad guys feels much more satisfying in this game than in the past games. Heart breaking decisions, your squad could be gone at any moment. The writing is as good as ever. Take a chance on this game. Expand
  71. Mar 7, 2012
    I have been following 'Mass Effect' since the first game, and have been a supportive fan of the series. The game has corrected several of the animations and included multi-player, but has failed in so many other ways to sadden me to only be able to rate it a '3'.

First and foremost, it seemed the MP content was more important than developing the story from the previous games, specifically the completely glossing over of 'Mass Effect 2'. The strength of any trilogy is the ability to draw all the pieces of storyline together, which ME3 did not accomplish.

Secondly, the entire genre is space opera, which means that even if developers felt the endings provided were necessary, they should have included additional alternatives. The endings I feel are a large part of my problem with game 3.

Third, while the idea of creating a smaller squad may appeal from logistics, the fact is, many players like the characters that were introduced previously, and have great attachments to them. By limiting their roles, and in some cases eliminating them all-together except for 'walk-on' parts, the game effectively eliminates the level of characterization we've all enjoyed. The game is bleak, the endings are bleaker, and the real issue is the apparent lack of concern that EA/BioWare has with its player base, especially console players. I cannot stress this enough: 'Mass Effect 3' feels more like an solid attempt to garner MP rather than a successful sequel and ending to a series, and it falls short of that. In some ways, the feel of ME3 is very similar to Dragon Age 2, and that's not necessarily a good thing.

Could DLC correct my rating? Certainly...but I'd have to pay for the mistakes made in storytelling, design, and glitches. I'm not sure that is appropriate from a game which has been eagerly anticipated by players and fans, myself included.

I think for now however, I sadly must only rate ME3 a 3, good attempt, but by no means the game it needs to be.
  72. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game built up so much epicness and I said multiple times before the last mission that this was the best SP-game I've EVER played. And it got destroyed under 10 minutes, by creating paradoxes (synthetic life who kills organic life so they don't get killed by synthetics LOOOL), Joker's getting some pstd and decides to run to a mass relay, and shepard is gone forever, putting the galaxy into a dark age and even if he survives he will NEVER see his LI, his friends or another nebula again. They tried to make a Deus Ex 1-ending, but they failed miserable and decided that a deus ex machina-ending would do the trick. I'm honestly depressed, it was my favourite game series of all time and Bioware gave me the finger. Expand
  73. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm giving it a 5. In short, the game feels like it's building you up for the fight of a lifetime and the story ending of a ultra hero, instead at the end you are left with all the foreplay leaving you shorted and confused, and most of all, pissed off to know it was all only just a "Legend/Dream". The developers this time around followed a true example of "Lost" meets "Matrix Revolutions", which is what doomed this games story telling.

The good:
    Awesome immersive gameplay
    Epic battles scenes NEAR the end

The bad:
    So many story gaps from ME2 > ME3
    Cerberus?
    Random graphic glitches
    The "promised" romance with former ME1/ME2 partners is laughable.
    The ending, quite possibly the worst story ending I have ever experienced.
  74. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is a great game, tis very sad that people are complaining about it being dumbed down; when in fact they are complaining about the very things they wanted gone. Like the mining and how it took so long. Now they say they do not like the whole send a probe down on a planet.... Also the graphics are much better than 2, either people just want to give this a bad review, because it isThis game is a great game, tis very sad that people are complaining about it being dumbed down; when in fact they are complaining about the very things they wanted gone. Like the mining and how it took so long. Now they say they do not like the whole send a probe down on a planet.... Also the graphics are much better than 2, either people just want to give this a bad review, because it is not like the first 2 or they have an SDTV or just being a troll. Of course all games are going to change, yes I dislike Skyrim very much, and love Morrowind much more, but it does not mean other people think Skyrim is good. The only peeve I have with Skyrim, is lack of spellcrafting, and little to non black soul gems, because you cannot make them now.... Expand
  75. Mar 9, 2012
    I just wasted over 50 hours in completing every quest and collecting all the war assets in preparation for an epic conclusion to my beloved Mass Effect adventures. However, the endings in this game totally ruined the experience for me. I was willing to forgive the removal of the holster button, the lack of a quest journal hotkey, the glitched animations, and the significant reduction ofI just wasted over 50 hours in completing every quest and collecting all the war assets in preparation for an epic conclusion to my beloved Mass Effect adventures. However, the endings in this game totally ruined the experience for me. I was willing to forgive the removal of the holster button, the lack of a quest journal hotkey, the glitched animations, and the significant reduction of video logs (now most logs are just text). However, the ending has to be the most disappointing in the history of gaming for true fans of the series. I'm big on endings, they are crucial for my enjoyment of most forms of entertainment, games, movies, animated films, and novels. I don't expect every ending to be a happy one, but the endings in Mass Effect 3 has effectively killed this franchise.

I'm a big fan of Mass Effect 1 and 2 (with the exception of planet scanning in part 2); I played through both games at least 5 times. Now I feel I also wasted hundreds of hours in those games to reach the disappointing conclusion in Mass Effect 3. I've already uninstalled Mass Effect 3 and will never play it again. It's sad to see how far Bioware has declined since they were purchased by EA in late 2007. EA is ruining every studio they acquire. If EA hadn't forced Bioware to add a multiplayer to Mass Effect 3 and if they had used a fraction of the money the spent on producing Hollywood blockbuster style trailers to improve the actual game, things would be very different. I also suspect that the Mass Effect series was terminated intentionally by EA Bioware to push fans of space operas to Star Wars Old Republic. However, I can't play that game because it is targeted at teenagers with its cartoonish graphics and combat. I'm in my late twenties, so I enjoy mature stories with realism; Mass Effect was one of the few science fiction game series that I enjoyed, but that is no longer the case. I will never buy another Bioware game until the breakway from EA. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen. I'm also concerned with EA's anti-trust business practices and their threat to the game industry.

In conclusion, I give this game a score of 1 for the parts of combat that were actually epic and for some the character dialogue that was enjoyable and not contrived. So I suggest you save your money; don't buy this game unless you don't care about endings.
  76. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ultimately no matter what path was chosen, what actions where taken, who lived and who died, at the end of this journey, all that remains is your ship and your crew abandon you.

The first 95% of the game is amazing, its everything I hoped for and more. The last 5% is the biggest slap in the face imaginable. If you have invested 100's of hours from the first game until this one, you will be left stunned and appalled that none of the choices you made, none of the battles you fought, nothing you did in those 100's of hours ultimately pays off in any of the three endings you can pick from. With the three endings and the DLC on day 1, EA/Bioware show that fan support means nothing more than a dollar symbol to them. While most of the joy lays in the journey to the end of the game, there is no replay value at all in this game, because no matter what journey you take, the ends are all ultimately the same except for color variations and if synthetics live or die.
  77. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What could have been a fantastic game is ruined by it's utterly dire ending. It's just incomprehensible that the bioware writers thought it was a good idea - hmm, let's finish this amazing trilogy by forcing players to pick one of three slightly different endings, of which none of your previous choices will impact. Let's deliver these endings in the most clichéd and contrived manner possible. To top it off, lets pretend in our marketing spiels that this isn't the case, so we don't put people off from giving us lots of money. Expand
  78. Mar 12, 2012
    Owning a PS3 i have only played ME2 before this. Its an extremely engrossing EPIC story and great gameplay, until the end. without spoiling anything the last 30 minutes or so are the most disappointing in recent history, in fact their is a internet uprising to change the end. Apart from that and a few bugs that will be cleared up via patches in the future the rest of the game isOwning a PS3 i have only played ME2 before this. Its an extremely engrossing EPIC story and great gameplay, until the end. without spoiling anything the last 30 minutes or so are the most disappointing in recent history, in fact their is a internet uprising to change the end. Apart from that and a few bugs that will be cleared up via patches in the future the rest of the game is outstanding. Great characters and a good 30-40 hrs of single player gameplay. At the moment it is not as good as its predecessor but future DLC and patches may change that. I gave it an 8 out of 10 because in spite of my personal disappointment, and because there may be changes coming, it is still a great experience. Expand
  79. Mar 12, 2012
    The Ending. It is bad. Believe the hype. Ruins the game but not the series. Each game in the Mass Effect series is unique and Its best to treat them as such, because lets be real if ME1 didn't make money ME2 wouldn't exist, if ME2 didn't make money ME3 wouldn't exist. Similar plot lines may run through all three but obviously it was made up as they went along. They are totally abstractThe Ending. It is bad. Believe the hype. Ruins the game but not the series. Each game in the Mass Effect series is unique and Its best to treat them as such, because lets be real if ME1 didn't make money ME2 wouldn't exist, if ME2 didn't make money ME3 wouldn't exist. Similar plot lines may run through all three but obviously it was made up as they went along. They are totally abstract from one another and clearly made by different people and processes. This one fell flat half way through then went very very dark, obscure, even morbid. Then hits you with the totally ridiculous ending. Yuk Expand
  80. Mar 28, 2012
    DLC day one, poor level design, the rpg side bybye, no evolution (again recruiting a teamn no planet eploration with mako), poor dialogue option, and the best of evrything the non sense and scandalous ending!!!!!
  81. Mar 13, 2012
    It was a fantastic ride right up until the last 15 or so minutes, when Bioware must have decided we had been given 2 happy ending in a row, so now we have to pay. It was kind of like having the best Christmas morning of your childhood ruined by the Manson Family busting down the door after the last present is opened, and then stabbing your mom and dad to death in front of your eyes withIt was a fantastic ride right up until the last 15 or so minutes, when Bioware must have decided we had been given 2 happy ending in a row, so now we have to pay. It was kind of like having the best Christmas morning of your childhood ruined by the Manson Family busting down the door after the last present is opened, and then stabbing your mom and dad to death in front of your eyes with the kitchen utensils. Given the horrible feeling this game left me with, I can not in good conscience give it anything like a high rating. Sorry. Expand
  82. Mar 12, 2012
  83. Mar 13, 2012
    WHY THE HATE FOR THIS GAME????

Geezz gamers in this day are stupid -___-
    SHM,did people expect? 20+ vastly different endings?

And loyal fans?Please.I adore Mass Effect, I'm just as loyal as others, but I'm not crying over the endings. I personally don't see what the big problem is.
  84. Mar 13, 2012
    Simplified, outraged, DLC on the first day, an inconclusive ending, and apparently are going to see more dlc, just Fu$% You Bioware you let me down, thank you for this true masterpiece of crap.
  85. Mar 16, 2012
    No other game gives you the ability to make choices that their consequences or rewards would expand over multiple games... Mass Effect Saga does that, and that was what was most appealing to me about it. It truly has replay value written across all 3 games, and that is something that is not showcased in any other game I have played. The story in ME3 is massive, and when you take intoNo other game gives you the ability to make choices that their consequences or rewards would expand over multiple games... Mass Effect Saga does that, and that was what was most appealing to me about it. It truly has replay value written across all 3 games, and that is something that is not showcased in any other game I have played. The story in ME3 is massive, and when you take into account the full plotline from the time you stepped down on Eden Prime to destroying the Collecters... it's truly a Saga that should honestly be considered an instant classic! Aside from the story, the gameplay is fantastic. Much better than ME1 and an improvement over ME2. The Soundtrack feels a bit old, but it's the tone of the music that intensifies during combat that really makes you feel helpless while being overwhelmed by husks! Loved every minute. Definitely a worthy purchase and worth all $60. Go get it! Expand
  86. Mar 19, 2012
    I was a huge fan of the Mass Effect franchise (and Bioware games in general). Honestly, I even really like SWtOR. But Mass Effect 3 was a huge disappointment! What I hated most: 3. Meaningful interactions with most of your love interests from ME1 & ME2 reduced to unsatisfying cameos, 2. New movement options for Shepard in combat that can be horribly frustrating because they all share theI was a huge fan of the Mass Effect franchise (and Bioware games in general). Honestly, I even really like SWtOR. But Mass Effect 3 was a huge disappointment! What I hated most: 3. Meaningful interactions with most of your love interests from ME1 & ME2 reduced to unsatisfying cameos, 2. New movement options for Shepard in combat that can be horribly frustrating because they all share the same key as the one used to enter cover (i.e.: I have several times tried to sprint through a door only to find myself rolling back and forth between one side of the door and another, or attempting to leap over cover to flee attackers only to have the game decide I would rather "go into cover" on the wrong side, etc.) and worst of all 1. Three almost identical but horrible endings that totally ignored all of my choices made in the saga up to that point. In my opinion, they not only removed 100% of ME3's replay value (I played ME1 & ME2 dozens to times) but tainted the rest of the saga for me. As far as I am concerned, Jar Jar Binks did less to ruin Star Wars... After all, I did not sink 100+ hours into playing Star Wars after being told my choices would carry through and they would matter! And putting further salt in our wounds, these endings were abrupt, incongruous with the pace and story of the games up to that point, and glaringly inconsistent with established canon (For instance: If one Mass Relay detonating in The Arrival took out an entire star system what does losing ALL of them mean to the survivors in the galaxy?!!! How about a little QA, guys?) If EA/Bioware have any hope of painting themselves out of this corner, I would suggest they look on the Internet for all of the threads discussing "Indoctrination Theory" and deliver us a DLC to 'fix" the endings along those lines ASAP. I know, it is your "art" and your "artistic vision", blah, blah, blah... But you sold the whole ME franchise with the promise of "Real choices that make a difference. Honestly, guys, for ME3 it is time to live up to that.

The bottom line is that for me, Mass Effect 3 was a huge letdown because of the ending. The people responsible for it should be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail. For all those of you who would respond "Most of it was pretty good, so you are just an unreasonable jerk for making a big deal out of a bad ending" or "It is their work of art, so chill man," let me put it this way:

Mass Effect 3 is like meeting a hot chick at a bar. You hit it off real well, see a movie together and have a nice dinner. In the cab on the way home, she shows you some special tricks she can do with those full red lips of hers. Eventually, you get her upstairs and disrobed, only to find out that "she" is really a "he" (Assuming you are not into that, OK?) . That extra sausage in the fridge might not seem like much to some, but if you wanted tacos for dinner it's a pretty big freaking deal. And yeah, sure, 95% of the date was pretty awesome, but that last part kind of spoiled the whole thing for you...

After 5+ years, 3 games and 200+ hours of combined play and replay, I think we all deserved better. So dear Bioware/EA: Fix the damn ending (Internet threads on Indoctrination Theory could give you some good ideas)! It does not have to be sunshine and rainbows, but it should at least follow canon, make some logical sense, answer more questions than it raises and give me a feeling that all my Shepard's sacrifice and work over the past 5 years had some meaning.
  87. Mar 19, 2012
    Though a great game, the last few moment ruin the entire experience of the entire ME series. Like so many other players, I really enjoyed Mass Effect 3. If not for the last 15 minutes, I would give this game a 9 or more. However, the ending is so abysmal (plot holes, inconsistencies, unsatisfying explanations, not to mention exactly the same whatever you do throughout all three games...)Though a great game, the last few moment ruin the entire experience of the entire ME series. Like so many other players, I really enjoyed Mass Effect 3. If not for the last 15 minutes, I would give this game a 9 or more. However, the ending is so abysmal (plot holes, inconsistencies, unsatisfying explanations, not to mention exactly the same whatever you do throughout all three games...) that I can't give this game any more than a 2 Expand
  88. Apr 12, 2012
    This is a great game. the gameplay is better than mass effect 2,but the story and characters are weaker and the game forgets that it's a third person shooter RPG. but it's a really good game.
  89. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first user review I read was a 10 out of 10 and began, "Do not listen to the people rating this game badly. Mass Effect 3 is utterly amazing..."

First of all, I agree that ME3 is utterly amazing. And that's what makes its end all the more disappointing. Consider yourself lucky if the endings of ME3 didn't disappoint you--you've been spared a sense of loss and disappointment that dwarfs any feelings of annoyance you must "suffer" when reading fans' complaints.

I loved the first game, actually think ME2 was better (though I initially hated what they did in the opening sequence), but found myself thinking I enjoyed playing ME3 more than either of the first two. It really is a fantastic game that I should be able to love and agree deserves a 9 out of 10 score (endings aside, it still had some flaws).

BUT...

This game was the end of a trilogy. As such, the ending had to not just provide some level of satisfaction for the particular story that began with Shepard escaping Earth, but also the one that began with Shepard being sent to Eden Prime way back when. In other words, there was a lot riding on the ending of this game.

There are several very good articles out there articulating why fans are disappointed with the way ME3 ended and I'm not going to rehash them here. Suffice it to say, the options provided to the player at the end of the game as well as the outcomes and consequences of those options left many long-time fans feeling like their investment Mass Effect ultimately wasn't respected by the developers in the end. More than not just getting a "happy ending", we're left with what can only be described as a bleak, depressing one, in which no matter what option you choose, no one lives happily ever after. Sure, you saved earth from the Reapers as expected, but at what cost? The universe we're left with is a dismal one (two words: Mass Relays).

If you read through all the Harry Potter books and got to final few pages of the series and read that Harry destroys Voldemort, but it costs him his life, and all his friends would be forever trapped in the world of Muggles, cut off from ever using magic again, would you feel entitled to be a little disappointed?

No? Great for you. But don't go telling everyone not to listen to those who would.

Mass Effect 3 was a 9 out of 10 game until the final few minutes. The turn it takes in those few closing seconds, ruined not only the game, but an entire trilogy because when the credits roll and you ask yourself, "Was the cost of saving the universe from the Reapers worth it?" the haunting answer for many of us was, "I don't know. I really don't know."
  90. Apr 16, 2012
    Before clicking to write a review of my own, I checked the current reviews of the game from other people and can see something very sad already.
    Many people have given it a low score purely out of hatred for ME2 and yet clearly have not played ME3! I, before giving ME3 a chance would have verbally given this a low score myself but having given it a chance I see my error.
    Now to start, I
    Now to start, I played the demo first..and I hated it. It felt awful to play and showed no RPG elements at all but after my friend Brad said I needed to play it I went out and bought it anyway..how right he was.
    What I found was an excellent game with brilliant mechanics, a wonderful story and great selection of missions. Everything has been improved over ME2 (which was a travesty) and the story is nicely wrapped up in the end.
    Yes the endings were not great, and it did feel like trying so hard to get as many troops as possible was pointless in the end but, all things aside, this game blew me away.
    So I ask that those of you who have written negative reviews and given low scores based purely on nay-sayers in forums, stop being sheep, think for yourselves and actually give the game a go!
  91. Apr 21, 2012
    Ah yes "Mass Effect is an awful game series", I have dismissed that claim. ME3 brings in quite a few innovations to the table since ME2, and I think that it brings in almost all of your major choices from previous games amazingly. The combat is quite similar to the untrained eye, and, even though that would be a good thing anyway (ME2's combat system was sublime) it's not true. Combat itAh yes "Mass Effect is an awful game series", I have dismissed that claim. ME3 brings in quite a few innovations to the table since ME2, and I think that it brings in almost all of your major choices from previous games amazingly. The combat is quite similar to the untrained eye, and, even though that would be a good thing anyway (ME2's combat system was sublime) it's not true. Combat it ME3 is much more brutal, difficult and it forces you to make use of its environments (which are a much more 3-dimensional setting than previous games. One mission in it particular forces you to pull out every trick you have in an attempt to survive long enough to finish (immensely difficult on insanity). The combat it also much more cinematic, being able to pull enemies over cover near you at either stab them, crush them, or a variety of other things much to my humor. The story (ending excluded, is one of, if not the best writing in games I have ever played, pulling at emotional heart strings, but with enough witty dialogue to keep it from being depressing. In response to the ending controversy, is the ending good, god no, does it makes sense, again no, but does it ruin the entire series, or even the game? No, do you know what I did when I finished ME3? I sat down and played it again. Then I went out and bought the "From Ashes" DLC, (not necessary, but I would recommend it, it adds to the story and adds some interesting dialogue) got that onto the game, but I didn't play it as soon as I got that. I went back the ME1 comic and started the whole series again (that's about 40 hours a game, 50 if your going for everything like I was). And I still loved the journey as Commander Shepard, even though the ending was lack luster. The multiplayer is surprisingly good, and I found myself surprised at how much I was enjoying it, though it is harder than the single player campaign, and with the free "Resensurgence" DLC that was released earlier, its only getting better, the only fault is it doesn't show your total play time, but I can forgive that. So, in the end Mass Effect 3 is a modern triumph in games, with some faults (ending, and loss of SOME dialogue options (though you still retain most of them)). Take this review from a fan who has put over a thousand hours into Mass Effect, over a thousand hours into EACH Mass Effect and that isn't including the multiplayer, this game is great, perfect? No, but still a modern miracle in the gaming. As a side note, all of these awful reviews (the 0, and 1's) are from fans who feel cheated by the ending, and are so angry that they cant see that the journey there is magnificent. Some of them are right about it, but they have far to harshly judged it. e.g. the ending is awful, I can never play Mass Effect again 0/10; which I proved wasn't always true in this review. All I can do now is urge you to buy this game (and the others as well, they make it better, especially if you choose save a guy called Wrex from the first game, his dialogue is amazing) Expand
  92. Apr 27, 2012
    After 2 successful pieces this one was a little bit disappointing... especially ending.. plus poor rpg features.. scanning planets for resources... but overall i can say i had to play and see how the story ended...
  93. May 5, 2012
    This game does not deserve such a low rating. To me this series stands out as the greatest Sci-Fi creation since Star Wars. The story and character development, combined with tight game-play make the Mass Effect series the greatest gaming experience I have ever had. I see a bunch of gaming-elitist whiners in these negative reviews. Sure ME3 had some flaws, the RPG elements were tonedThis game does not deserve such a low rating. To me this series stands out as the greatest Sci-Fi creation since Star Wars. The story and character development, combined with tight game-play make the Mass Effect series the greatest gaming experience I have ever had. I see a bunch of gaming-elitist whiners in these negative reviews. Sure ME3 had some flaws, the RPG elements were toned way down and the ending was abrupt and left me wanting more. But I had to speak up, lest one person be discouraged from trying out this amazing series. Expand
  94. May 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game and story were brilliant. JUST the VERY VERY ending was a little disappointing.
    If you loved ME1 and ME2 you will undoubtedly like this and ignore all the hate about the ending. I personally did not like the ending either. but 99% of what I played was GREAT. Bioware are changing the game ending and the Indoctrination Theory also is very interesting. So give the closing chapter a last chance.
    Great game
  95. May 17, 2012
    Soooooooo many plot holes, the decisions you made through the series pretty much don't count towards the ending. You can skip the first two games and you won't miss anything.
  96. May 24, 2012
    This game was amazing. The gameplay mechanics were better than its predecessors, the graphics look amazing, and it is extremely fun. Most negative reviews come from self-entitled gamers who get angry at the ending or the DLC and give it a 0.
  97. Apr 25, 2013
    Great gameplay, phenomenally disappointing story. Since the story is the most important thing to me in a game the horrid ending is simply a massive letdown that trivializes every choice you ever make.
  98. Jul 9, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an above average game. They've tweaked the game play, kept the same high caliber music and the story is above average. Without going into too many details, Commander Shepard is facing off against the reapers who plan on wiping out most sentient life in the universe. It's not the best game in the universe but I enjoyed it. You may disagree with the ending but you can'tMass Effect 3 is an above average game. They've tweaked the game play, kept the same high caliber music and the story is above average. Without going into too many details, Commander Shepard is facing off against the reapers who plan on wiping out most sentient life in the universe. It's not the best game in the universe but I enjoyed it. You may disagree with the ending but you can't argue that the events leading up to it aren't at least pretty good. As for decisions not having immediate or significant impact: the games take place within a small time frame (2-3 years?). How do you expect to see the effects of those decisions within such a small time frame? If they make a follow up within the mass effect universe, it will probably take place a few hundred years after Mass Effect 3. There is no way this game deserves less than a 6 and users that have given it less than that because Bioware didn't make it exactly the way they wanted it are incredibly stupid. I wish I had been able to recruit my ME 2 squad mates, that they had included more neutral options in the dialogue, included more side missions and most importantly, hadn't spent so much time trying to cater to new gamers to the franchise(to name a few things) but I can still say that the game is very good. Not perfect but very good. Expand
  99. Jul 16, 2012
    This game had tons of hype to live up to. After the astounding experience that was Mass Effect 2, Bioware was tasked with making a final game that would knock everyone's socks off. And it came so close.

For newcomers to the Mass Effect franchise, the year is 2183, and you play as Commander Shepard, a soldier getting ready to lead the galaxy in a fight against a race of super-machines known as the Reapers, who harvest all advanced civilizations every 50,000 years. Your decisions from Mass Effect 2 will carry over, so I suggest you get that first, as it is a slightly better game.

Where this game is strong is gameplay. The shooter element has been revamped, with new movements in and out of cover, more ladders and the ability to jump off short drops. This does add a bit of smoothness to the gameplay, especially the cover movement. Another part of gameplay is the dialogue, where you select your answer using the left analog stick. In this it felt.... A bit less natural. In Mass Effect 2 it felt so much more organic with random options, while in this game there was a lot of just "Good/Bad/Details" choices. But Mass Effect 2 is a very high standard to compare it to, so Mass Effect 3 still trumps most other games.

It's good technically. Graphics are good if not the best, although I felt the characters faces were not as expressive as they should have been, except in some scenes. The Voice acting is of good quality. And the soundtrack is amazing. Some of the games most emotional moments are backed up by breathtakingly chilling music.

And the storyline is fantastic. It follows a more linear pattern than Mass Effect 2, which gives it more of a base to have a good story. Decisions from the previous games are also factored in. The relationships with characters are sacrificed for a plot that delivers epic twists and turns all the way up to the last 10 minutes. Where it falls flat on it's face. It takes away individual choices, which were massively difficult to make, and instead gives them scores, sticks them into a group called "War Assets" and gives you an ending based on it. And the endings aren't even that different. People who've followed the franchise before this game will be severely disappointed.

This game is great. It combines a great story and a fantastic decision making system with a quality third-person shooter setup. But compared to it's predecessor, it's a little more linear. And the ending will not make you happy. I'd recommend this to anyone, just as long as you turn it off after the Illusive Man dies.
  100. Jul 28, 2012
    The Mass Effect trilogy is just amazing and Mass Effect 3 is one of my favorite games ever. It shines in every single aspect but one: the ending. Sadly, this outstanding game was slightly ruined by an inconsistent ending. Anyways, the whole experience is really great, and everyone should give it a try.

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 10, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an amazing experience in and of itself. It's also the perfect capstone to a true AAA franchise, offering a poignant conclusion that'll stick long after the credits have rolled. You're standing on the precipice of one of the best games Earth money can buy. [April 2012, p.60]
  2. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Apr 3, 2012
    If ever a game was more about the journey than the destination, it's Mass Effect 3. And what a journey it is. [May 2012, p.71]
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Apr 2, 2012
    The RGP elements have been toned down considerably in favour of more action. For some this will sound like a bad thing, but trust us when we say that Bioware has thought this through. With the Reapers invading, it would be kind off silly to go on a shopping spree on the citadel. [April 2012, p.60]