7.7

1. Jun 4, 2012
    Maaan, this is a shame. No more old-school Max, just an old man in fancy clothing wielding guns and trying to make a depressive but cool anti-hero impression. After watching hundreds of non-skipable cutscenes I wondered myself, what Rockstar Games published here: The Action is always interrupted by numberous cutscenes, the story itself is just horribly dumb, except for some gas-canisters (almost) no interactions are available using the environment, the difficulty is way too unbalanced and there's no 'character'-development at all. Another point: grenade-throwing is possible in multiplayer, but not in story-mode. Why??? When playing online the throwing-mechanics are actually so bad, you often get yourself killed using cover and throwing the grenade right at the wall you're using FOR COVER. I almost freaked out.

Get yourself Stranglehold, its much cheaper but still has tons of better gameplay than MP3 has. I'm really disappointed by the s*** Rockstar Games published here, if I could I'd get my money back. If you see it for 10 bucks: get it. Otherwise just accept the fact that Max's dead and avoid this piece of boring, uninspired gameplay... (I'm german, forgive mistakes in grammar etc.^^)
  2. Jun 2, 2012
    After a bit this playing the same Rockstar game over and over gets old. Grand Theft: Auto, Horse, Facial Expressions and Slow Motion. They are making the same product over and over. Trivial story, amazing polish but it is like polishing a turd, and the now famous "awesome multiplayer" (gaming media uses this when they want to say the game is crap and it is hard to evaluate what one person's take on multiplayer is to the next) that will entertain for two weeks max. Pass. Wait for games, not products. Expand
  3. May 19, 2012
    I am glad to see it is not only me that feels this is not a Max Payne game... It's just another Rockstar romp into mediocre story telling coupled with horrible control mechanics, bad textures and a voice over that never shuts up... why do we need to see spoken text highlighted on screen.

MP3 (ha!!) is a game that wants to be Splinter Cell Conviction but ends up being a mishmash of bad
    elements from every other game made by Rockstar. Expand
  4. May 23, 2012
    this game was a huge let down. its like a "last gen" game with "next gen" graphics. the game is too hard in a really cheap and unsatisfying way. rockstar also made this game for auto lock-on controlls which no one does anymore. the option is there for you to turn off, but the game then becomes unbalanced and really difficult. the 1990s mtv style presentation is awfull. max himself is like a emo crybaby in adult form. do not get this game. rockstar i am disappoint. Expand
  5. Jul 15, 2012
    Am I the only one who thinks this is a let down? While all the fanboys piss themselves cooing over MP3 I cant help but feel this is one of the biggest missed opportunities of this generation, campaign was OK although it didn't really feel like Max's story the mechanics held up well. The weapons have zero character and the multiplayer is simply **** horrible, why bother putting it in if you don't mean it? seriously half arsed attempt and a travesty to us real Max Payne fans, the best part of the game was the original theme at the start screen. Brazil? really? Expand
  6. Jun 3, 2012
    Pretentious design and story, clunky aiming, lagging multiplayer, stupid cover based shooting, worthless bullet time, unskippable cut scenes. And no Mona Sax. Welcome to Max Payne 3.
    This turned out to be quite the disappointment. That's two in a row from Rockstar, as far as I'm concerned. The other one being LA noire.
    One thing is sure. This is no Red Dead Redemption, nor Max Payne 1-2.
  7. Jul 12, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a fantastic game that will be enjoyed by most fans of rockstar games. But if you ar looking for an open world romp like gta you won't get that here its a pretty linear story which takes you on a breakneck ride through brazil I had the game finished in roughly 11 hrs. There is multiplayer to keep you going once you have finished the campaign and I must admit its not just you standard tacked on crap it's very addictive especially as it take the shoot dodge from single player and masterfully uses that online. Max Payne is a great achievement and will be a classic for a long time to come all I can say is BRING ON GTA V Expand
  8. Sep 19, 2012
    New game, old formula. Awful control. Almost unplayable with joypad.
    The story seems decent, but the ps3 gameplay is frustrating. Play it on pc and with the mouse if you really need.
  9. Jun 10, 2012
    Piece of crap too many walking sequences dropping framerate , bad graphics i dont buy this only because its well known title. Search someting better like dragon dogma
  10. Aug 30, 2012
    The story was dull and that's the only reason I bought it. It was dark, but impersonal. There was no connection to any of the characters and none of it effected Max. I was also hoping to see some of the bizarre psychedelic stuff from the first two. Sure, it's a much better story than say, Black Ops, but I expected more from Rockstar. The shooting is fine if that's what you're into, and there were plenty of explosions. Expand
  11. May 17, 2012
    the voices are not translated into another language for a triple A unsuitable.
    I buy a pair of binoculars to read subtitles. I will not buy GTA5 by Rockstar.
  12. Jun 7, 2012
    Unplayable. As in, I bought it and after about three hours' play I've given up. Controls are sluggish and unsatisfying. Bullet time is no longer relevant eg firing at opponents 100m away. Gunplay is soupy (eg no aiming function) and there's no hand combat even though you often find yourself tripping over bad guys. Just baffled about what kind of game this is meant to be. Also, Max is now cast as a saggy, grumpy middle-aged man... if I'd wanted that, I could have just looked in the mirror. Expand
  13. Feb 22, 2013
    Big fan of max payne 1 and 2... but what the heck, the new cover system of max payne 3 ruins the whole game.
    Every shootout is boring as hell and repetitive, enter area, cover shoot cover shoot-- repeat till end of the game.
    You rarely can use properly the slow mo actions, cause you wil get raped by the enemies !

The game is just plain boring and repetive.... the great graphics and
    sound cant save it .

Multiplayer is quite good, but there are many better shooters to play online.
  14. Dec 28, 2012
    I can not begin to even explain how much I hate this game. Considering how much I hated being a fat, unemployed European immigrant in Grand Theft Auto 4 I thought perhaps Rockstar was beginning to lose their skill. The shooting mechanics in my opinion are incredibly poorly implemented in conjunction with the cover system. Bad guys abound and all you have is your gun, your balls and a ton of cover, sounds easy right? Instead as soon as you pop out to take a shot you're immediately getting ripped apart. That wouldn't bother me so much if, say, you could actually kill an enemy with just a few bullets there by limiting your need to pop out of cover. But no, you can dump 3/4's your magazine, watch the goon go down and he'll still get back up. Cover also in this game is pretty poor. Sure it covers and protects you while you frantically try to figure out what to do since that last guy took almost all your ammo and there are 3 more people to kill, but it literally takes an act of God to reposition yourself since you literally have to be standing in front of the cover to actually utilize it. Worse, I guess sticking to realism about Max's age means you move like turtles **** Bullet time is a bad joke, you move slow as hell already but go ahead and activate that bullet time so you can take a few quick shots while doing your best imitation of "slower than molasses". It doesn't even help mitigate or dampen the damage you take so that moron at the end of the hall will go ahead and aerate your internal organs for you. There is no way around it in this game, you have to fight tactically but it doesn't feel like an option at all. The initial shooting controls also completely clash with any other shooter type game I can remember playing.

Max is a morally bankrupt, unscrupulous, cynical drunk and has probably punched a couple of babies in his day. I don't get at all how Rockstar thought this was the direction to take Max as a person, I was literally praying someone would permanently kill him just so he could stop hating everything and sobbing about his past. The only 2 decent things about this game to me are that I bought it for under 20 bucks and the graphics are pretty good. But this is all solely my opinion.
  15. Mar 21, 2013
    Max Payne is an old drunk tired out guy and everything about this game has me believing it was made by his real life counterpart. Extremely repetitive gameplay with a cutscene just about every minute makes this one of the worst games I've played in years. Games cannot rely only on good storylines but MP3 lacks in the story department as well. As a huge fan of MP2, I can see how they kept the same style of storytelling which is why I did'nt rate this game a 2.0 but the story itself has no essence. I played it until the end with hope for a little redemption but what I got instead was a mess. The storyline could have been great had it been about something more personal to Max but instead he's just an old fool hired to kill people. He said it himself! Expand
  16. Jul 25, 2013
    Do not buy, you will be angry. Honestly! I was screaming at my TV like an idiot. So if you are like me who gets easily frusturated, don't buy.

I've played all GTA's (literally all of them), Red Dead Redemption. Enjoyed all of these RockStar games, except some of Gay Tony missions, due to frustrating Helicopter scenes(which this game reminds me of). I've played Max Payne 1. I never
    liked it that much due to grim athmosphere and always feeling alone, but I enjoy all the slow motion. This is one way less dark in nature. it's all sunny in this one. That would be a negative for some, but I really don't care. Reason why I bought this is all of the high reviews in magazines.

I really don't care about story line. It's kind of weak in my opinion. But come on, you just shoot dudes up. Yes Max Payne is a grumpy old dude that has a remark about everything, some might like it I didn't. That is still OK. I personally think graphics are pretty good and this game has very good sound. I don't get the whole flickering off the screen. I'm fien with that.

MY biggest problem is the GAMEPLAY!!!! They F*ed it up pretty BAD. Yes there are cool moments when I blow dudes up in slow motion and doing some movie like bad assery, but there are some parts that are super frustrating. By the Law of Life, one F*ed thing just blurs one hundred things that were done out of the way. And this one has too many for me too concentrate on the good. Let me list why I'm unhappy with this game:

CUTSCENES: Can't skip most of them(super annoying if you trying to get golden weapon by coming back). It always keep changing my weapon. If you don't like too many cutscenes don't buy this game.

CROSS-HAIR: I remember few times I had really hard problem seeing the crosshair. I know you can change them in settings but that doesn't help much. It would be nice if they let me choose the color or customize them( as in Unreal 2004).

ENEMIES: These guys have some of the fastest reflexes in video game I've seen in the while for Normal setting. This game would be unplayable if it wasn't for adrenaline slow mo action. It get annoying. They can also see through bushes, smokes and debris.

MAX SHOOTING AT THE SEALING FOR NO REASON: Sometimes I would find myself wasting rounds by shooting up at the ceiling.I don't know if they did that on purpose, but it would be nice if he just didn't shoot if the weapon didn't align with cross hair.

LASERS & FLASHLIGHT: I couldn't figure out how to turn either one of them off. Shooting with laser is not fun, it is actually frustrating. This is not how laser sight works, it's a dot not the whole line that you cant even see where it stops and aims too.

PAINKILLERS: I understand this is Max Payne's little trade mark, but health system is outdated. Some might like it this way, but I personally disagree with it.

BEING AUTO AMMO DURING LAST CHANCE: When your health is low and Max has painkiller and you get shot the game goes into this mode where you have to shoot the guy who is little bit brighter then other guy kill them and end up lying on the floor. Well if you are out of ammo it would just making clicking sound and you have to stare at the slow mo screen for like 5 seconds before dying, and you can't switch weapons! That' is a waste of time. How about you make it so if I'm out of ammo I just die. Click...die.. or even better when that whole thing happens he just switches to a side arm with full mag(even if it was empty, it a video game). Man seriously I should be designing them video games.

DIFFICULTY: I'm going to admit it. I hate replaying same thing over and over again. It happened few times in this game. I play a lot of video games, and I died in this game quite a few times. Most of dying and learning here is just memorizing the pattern where guys will come from. Normal should've been little bit easier. I'm too stubborn to switch to easy, it makes me feel like a B****. Guess what I switched to EASY in the last two chapters.. Rockstar you won, thanks for making me feel like a B*

Next part of review is SPOILER SECTION:

THAT F*$#ing LEVEL WITH THE APC SHOOTING AT YOU WITH MACHINEGUN AND YOU HAVE TO GRAB ROCKET LAUNCHER IS REASON WHY I'M GIVING THIS GAME SUCH A LOW SCORE. WHAT THE FREAKING HECK WERE THEY THINKIN? It took me like 10 tries to figure out how to grab that stupid rocket launcher in front of the barrier. I DROPPED MY CONTROLLER AND HAD TO WAIT A DAY CAUSE I WAS SO FREAKING ANGRY!!!! Next day I tried again and after dying like 12 times I saw another rocket launcher on the left side(could've been fixing by better lighting the leveL so players can see that asset) then them bad guys come out. I aim at them with the rocket and guess what? MAX IDIOT PAYNE shoots into the concrete barrier AND BLOWS HIMSELF UP!!! I was so freaking angry. I had to go and punch a pillow for 5 minutes away from my HDTV that i was about to break, because I was about to break it! SCREW THIS GAME. DON'T BUY!!!! THANK YOU.
  17. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A game that on the one hand offers a very good story and deep but the graphics and the gameplay leaves much to be desired. The graphics are very poor when you play, I was expecting more though some locations are excellent. The story is excellent Max Payne style. The sound nice but the dubbing is not there yet. The gameplay and very high from the beginning but then some nervous situations embarrassing for artificial intelligence. If it had been produced by those who now would be an absolute masterpiece Uncharted, so is the old soup warmed Rockstar.
    failed
  18. Dec 28, 2012
    Initially I was extremely excited to pick this game up, since I was a huge fan of the first one on PC. However, I am very disappointed with the gameplay. I've tried giving the game a chance from time to time, thinking that maybe it's just me having gotten older and slower at shooting games, but alas, it is not fun on a PS3 controller. The aiming is HORRIBLE. This is the first game I'm going to get rid of without finishing. If you must play it, do it on the PC, like another reviewer has already stated. Expand
  19. Jul 3, 2014
    This Game is more like a movie than a game. I buy video games to play them not watch a cut scene for 10 plus minutes. If I wanted to watch a movie that is what I would buy. This is just programers being cheap and not doing there job. It is a lot easier to make a movie with little or no interaction and use it as game filler to make it seem longer to the player. I feel very ripped off I bought a game NOT A MOVIE!!!!!!! Expand

1. Jul 9, 2012
    An engaging story, extremely satisfying shoot-outs phenomenal graphics turn Max Payne 3 undoubtedly into one of the best shooters of 2012. It's a shame that Rockstar doesn't seem to know where to place their checkpoints.
  2. Jun 29, 2012
    Max Payne 3 brings back the depressed and trigger-happy former cop, in a new and surprisingly entertaining chapter of his life. Rockstar has brought the story to São Paulo, equipped Max with a few new tricks and made everything look a bit more polished and updated. The addition of a well-rounded multiplayer proves to be a stroke of genious that adds loads of extra hours of fun gameplay.
  3. Jun 22, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is an excellent farewell, but ultimately it's not as relevant as it was in the past. It has nothing to teach to the "new" shooters.