Max Payne 3 PlayStation 3

7.8

1. Jun 9, 2016
    Best max payne title yet. One of the best action games of all time. Max payne 3 is a masterpiece. Must buy. Rockstar is probably the best game developer studio
  2. May 30, 2016
    an amazing shooter it has everything you want for realistic gunplay and it feels very responsive. Its so much fun with over the top action that is visually impressive with good graphics for explosions and overall really. the story is also good and max payne is also very interesting character asking himself questions and bringing himself down. The multiplayer is also very fun as it feelsan amazing shooter it has everything you want for realistic gunplay and it feels very responsive. Its so much fun with over the top action that is visually impressive with good graphics for explosions and overall really. the story is also good and max payne is also very interesting character asking himself questions and bringing himself down. The multiplayer is also very fun as it feels like the story game but harder enemies the only thing would of been more and better maps. The only complaint was that the movement feels clunky and its boring when you have to run about for a bit but thats no enough to make it lose a point Expand
  3. Nov 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is no perfect game, but wow Rockstar have come close to making one. I created my account just to review this game, thats how much i love it. graphics/story 10+ story, enthralling and constantly surprising

sound/music 11 i know its impossible but the sounds & voice work is just that good.

gameplay 9 the gameplay is fantastic, its leaps and bounds above GTA IV which is a massive achievement. length wise i haven't finished yet but this is the only place i could take points away, vie heard its not an awfully long campaign. but if it needed to be sacrificed to focus on all the other amazing inclusions im happy with that, its also got great replay-ability

multiplayer
    fun and entertaining in that they've created reasons and rewards for gameplay. COD levelling system helps too. Much better than the GTA IV multiplayer mode.

Overall fantastic and can't complain with anything about the game. for the small price your getting a great story, an immersive interactive fluid story that keeps you on your toes.
  4. Sep 1, 2015
    İt's moving like a movie,the pyhsics are really great in this game.İt's really hard and good.But i think that Bioshock İnfinite is lot better.İt is my advice.But you might buy this game and slo-mo is AWESOME!!!
  5. May 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game I can say without exaggeration is a MUST OWN! It's story is interesting and never dull. The graphics are beautiful even for today's standards. The gameplay is fun, never boring. Even when it's just shootout after shootout, it is never boring. The story is dark and depressing, like Max Payne should be. Throughout the entire story, you can hear Max narrating every thought in his head, which really gives you a chance to see the story through his eyes. Just so you know, this is a very challenging game, even on easy. It's not impossible, just be ready to die a lot. No matter who you are, start on easy. For parents who are worried about this game, you should know that there is one scene with topless women, and a lot of bad language including, F, MF, C, GD, SOB, D, S. Just be ready to mute and skip stuff. In this climactic story, you never know what will happen. Plot twist after plot twist, and you will never guess who the man behind it all is. This is a game that you will play again, and again, and again, and again, and again. It also has pretty decent length to it as well. BUY IT!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Expand
  6. May 11, 2015
    Graphics: 8.5 Sound: 8.8 Gameplay: 8.0 Fun/Story: 8.0

Solid and consistent game. Not perfect but a truly shooter, despite some repetitiveness. Loved the graphic filters.
  7. May 4, 2015
    I realise this has got 3 years on it now but, i went back to play it as there is nothing on the ps4 i havent played worth playing atm. It was a great follow on to the older games anyone that says any different is a butt munch. Some were saying o theres to much shooting haha in a max payne game no less, thats pretty well what you signed on for when you started playing. Others saying itsI realise this has got 3 years on it now but, i went back to play it as there is nothing on the ps4 i havent played worth playing atm. It was a great follow on to the older games anyone that says any different is a butt munch. Some were saying o theres to much shooting haha in a max payne game no less, thats pretty well what you signed on for when you started playing. Others saying its just not like max payne sure hes older and isn't a cop anymore apart from that hes the same guy maybe these people just were looking for the same game to play again who knows. As for it being like a movie well there are a few cinematics but it just adds to the story really. A great older game. Expand
  8. Apr 10, 2015
    Max Payne 3 is a divisive game. For many fans of the franchise, the game seems to have lost the hard-boiled charm which previous developer Remedy so heavily drenched the originals in. Gone is the gritty yet occasionally cheesy voice-acting. Gone is the melodrama and cliche flowing black trenchcoats. In their stead, Rockstar has replaced the cliche dialogue with gritty so-bad-it's-goodMax Payne 3 is a divisive game. For many fans of the franchise, the game seems to have lost the hard-boiled charm which previous developer Remedy so heavily drenched the originals in. Gone is the gritty yet occasionally cheesy voice-acting. Gone is the melodrama and cliche flowing black trenchcoats. In their stead, Rockstar has replaced the cliche dialogue with gritty so-bad-it's-good dialogue (with significantly better voice-actors), and a "Man on Fire" aesthetic and setting. To me, this departure is welcome. Yet, I understand the nostalgia driving so much of the vitriol toward this game.

Gameplay-wise, Max Payne 3 is excellent. Rockstar keeps their excellent targeting reticule from RDR allowing for pin-point accuracy. The simplicity of the small dot doesn't hide characters or obfuscate the system; it's clean and simple. Shoot-dodging and going into bullet time are easy to get a handle on and feel excellent. Overall, Max Payne 3 is a great-feeling game.

Story-wise, the game builds slowly, adhering rigidly to noir film conventions. It bubbles up like a stew steadily until it is bursting with intrigue and then stumbles for a moment before closing strong with one of my favorite endings to a videogame ever. In conclusion, Max Payne 3 is extraordinarily strong from a narrative standpoint, despite one or two minor foibles.

In the end I give Max Payne 3 a 4.5/5 stars; a truly stellar experience that should not be missed by fans of the genre.
  9. Mar 26, 2015
    Firstly, I recommend that you change the controls to type 4 and that invert L1/L2 and R1/R2 so that R1 is for firing.
    This way you will have the same controls as in most games like COD.
    I played at medium difficulty with partial aim assist. Both are default, I suggest you keep these settings. I really appreciated the story, the voice acting as well as the gameplay. I liked the
    This way you will have the same controls as in most games like COD.

I really appreciated the story, the voice acting as well as the gameplay.
    I liked the attitude and the cynicism of Max Payne.
    It's the first time I play a Max Payne title.
    I was not expecting much from this game but I have been really pleased and it's in my top 10 PS3 game for sure !
    I expected an open world like most Rockstar Games but I preferred the way they did it : more action, less stroll.
  10. Feb 22, 2015
    Max is back in the best performance of Rockstar. Max Payne 3 affected me, really. A look at the life of Max, atmosphere - all this affected me. The plot is great, the gameplay is made at the highest level, the music perfectly fit for the story of Max. As always, a masterpiece of Rockstar.
  11. Oct 23, 2014
    A really nice game, with the best combat system ever. The game has a nice story, characters, graphics and is a lot of fun to play. The only thing I didn't like is the multiplayer. Note that the game also has a few minor bugs, and long loading times.
  12. Sep 20, 2014
    MP3 delivers great shootouts, probably the best I have ever played. The story is good and the setting is new and fresh. The game fells also like a AAA Action movie blockbuster, with the cutscenes and the bullet time events put in.
    However its to linear and beside shooting you are not doing much. I know its a shooter but every 2 steps you make you have to take 15 guys out. Thats to much.
    Still enjoyed it.
  13. Sep 6, 2014
    This game was real revelation for me. I did not hear much about it and I just tried it. It got me. Max is a funny guy and Bullet Time is perfect game mechanism.
  14. Apr 19, 2014
    This is one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time. Good graphics, lots of action, but also intriguing story. Thoroughly enjoying. Best Max Payne yet!!
  15. Jan 21, 2014
    Max Payne it's quite an iconic series in video games, it always had a lot of a "unique essence to it" that no one could actually recreate, however the third installment in the series makes a lot of changes, some of them are welcomed, and some others, well... Not so much.
    The first complain that i have with the game it's that it destroys the outgoing journey for the player, you know exactly which twists, and turns is the game going to have, it never truly steps away in trying to transport the player into a journey with as many memorable characters, as it did in the past entries to the franchise. I like to think it's because Rockstar was trying to develop the game with it's own personal experience, and "vibe", however the artistic integrity in a series like this is something that has to be noted, and even admired in one way, or another.
    The pursue to realism does not only affect the thematic, and overall style of the game, it angers me to say it but it also affects the gameplay, adding up a limit for the usual arsenal that you have learn to expect from the series, it's something that it's unforgivable to me as an already fan of the series.

However the game excels at it's story telling, sharing us a much more darker twist, that does not only affect Max himself, but also the members of the Branco family (the entire thematic revolves around them).
    The game it's not telling the story about Max, but it's telling how Max reacts to the situation that the family it's experiencing, this just makes Max feel almost like his just in the game in order to fill a blank paper, that could've been filled by any angry, pessimistic, antagonist.

It just never tries to even capture the substance from Max Payne, it just tries to ask for his opinion.
    Luckily it isn't such a bad opinion after all, Max throws the occasional joke here, and there, and eventually you begin to appreciate that his presence it's there.
    The game throws a huge amount of effort in making you feel like Max Payne, it tries to make you confused at first, but interested, and intrigued to find out what iconic event it's going to happen to the Branco family, and how Max it's going to have to deal with it. Not only that but the effects, from the cutscenes (which upset a lot of people from being annoying) are specifically placed there to evoque that kind of reaction, they want you to feel dazed, and not knowing exactly what's happening in a clear way, in my opinion it's an excellent way from Rockstar to adapt and understand how this new world that surrounds Max it's affecting him, same thing happens when Rockstar decided not to translate Portuguese, to english (they did it for the same reason).

Overall the adventure, nor journey, that Max Payne 3 takes you to, it's not something forgettable by any means, but sadly it's just another empty chapter in Max's life that you could have passed and not even noticed, mostly if there's ever a follow up to what could've been, another remarkable entry, in an already incredible franchise.
  16. Jan 12, 2014
    Now, I never played any Max Payne game in the past, but this actually earned my support as a newcomer of the series! The gunfights, awesome; the graphics, impressive; the cinematics, very movie-like; the voice acting, superb; the story.... well, to be honest, it wasn´t very good, however it was at least entertaining to play through, and I cared a lot for Max Payne in this bloody quest inNow, I never played any Max Payne game in the past, but this actually earned my support as a newcomer of the series! The gunfights, awesome; the graphics, impressive; the cinematics, very movie-like; the voice acting, superb; the story.... well, to be honest, it wasn´t very good, however it was at least entertaining to play through, and I cared a lot for Max Payne in this bloody quest in Brazil. The multiplayer in this game was fun: some of the matches I took part of were very chaotic, everybody using were using bullet time to each other... like a lot of times. Overall, a damn good game. Expand
  17. Nov 21, 2013
    Max Payne 3 improves upon the previous two games in two significant ways in terms of gameplay. Certainly its a graphical improvement, being on superior hardware but that isn't what made it stand out for me. First are the levels and their layouts. No more are you exclusively subjected to mostly corridors and cramped apartment building hallways. The locations are large and diverse, not onlyMax Payne 3 improves upon the previous two games in two significant ways in terms of gameplay. Certainly its a graphical improvement, being on superior hardware but that isn't what made it stand out for me. First are the levels and their layouts. No more are you exclusively subjected to mostly corridors and cramped apartment building hallways. The locations are large and diverse, not only providing lots of area to move or take cover but also gives enemy AI options on how to swarm you. The other major improvement is the cover system. A natural addition but gone are the days of strafing around corners as the only way to avoid enemy fire.

Max Payne 3 is the best of a solid action series, creating a better gameplay experience while doing something fresh with its narrative by putting Max in new and unexpected locations and situations.
  18. Nov 2, 2013
    I was a huge fan of the first two Max Payne games. This game wasn't the overall slam dunk I had thought it would be. There are some things I absolutely loved and some I absolutely hated. First, we shall start with the positives. The environments are by far the best I have played in a game. It looks, feels real and alive. There were no shortcuts into making these environments. They are soI was a huge fan of the first two Max Payne games. This game wasn't the overall slam dunk I had thought it would be. There are some things I absolutely loved and some I absolutely hated. First, we shall start with the positives. The environments are by far the best I have played in a game. It looks, feels real and alive. There were no shortcuts into making these environments. They are so detailed that it was the first time I was stunned looking at the environments since Halo: Combat Evolved about ten years ago. Also, the writing is of course top notch. Sound fits the mood perfectly. Story is decent. Overall it is a pretty fun game. Now, the negatives. The first thing was the overall feel. It just didn't feel like Max Payne. I don't want to spoil the game, but there are a few chapters that nail the old Max Payne feel, while the rest almost get there, but it creates a feeling of a nostalgic hole of what Max Payne 3 could have been. I miss going to the secret 'underground' warehouses and run-down hotels in NY and basically flying around in bullet time spraying bullets everywhere. Next issue is the controls/gameplay. This Max Payne's bullet time is ruined with the cover system. The cover system basically makes it unnecessary to do the bullet time leaps (my favorite thing of the Max Payne games). Furthermore, controls and aiming just don't seem nearly as fluid as the previous two. While you could just keep bullet time leaping all over the place, it is impracticable when you can use the cover. Next, is the Noir storytelling of the games. This also just doesn't seem to cut it. There are not nearly as many of the storybook scenes, but instead we get an outrageous amount of (lengthy) cutscenes. This is a perfect example of how a game does not need cutscenes to be great. Lastly, The previous Max Payne's are far superior. Had this game not had the Max Payne title, it would be an easy 5 stars. I have not played the multiplayer nor do I really intend do. Expand
  19. ERB
    Nov 2, 2013
    Max Payne is back with more realistic and cool graphics and with bullet time improved.Max Payne 3 continues it's story in Brazil which he was hired as a personal body guard for a wealthy or rich family the "Branco family".Max Payne 3 has awesome actions cool bullet time and a memorable story.Now the single player campaign is good but wait till you see the multiplayer of this game becauseMax Payne is back with more realistic and cool graphics and with bullet time improved.Max Payne 3 continues it's story in Brazil which he was hired as a personal body guard for a wealthy or rich family the "Branco family".Max Payne 3 has awesome actions cool bullet time and a memorable story.Now the single player campaign is good but wait till you see the multiplayer of this game because the multiplayer is fun.You got to form crews join crews and more.Hell there is even a gang wars in this game which two gangs fight each other and find out who will be the stronger gang.And there is also this death match where everyone in the map will fight each other or kill each other and the one with the most kills is declared the winner.And also you can customize your character in multiplayer which is good.The character development in this game is good,the voice acting in this game is really good,and even the world of Max Payne 3 is beautiful.You can interact with some items here which is like in the other Max Payne games.Max Payne 3 is awesome which deserves a 10/10 from me and all of you fans or not fans of this game buy this game or download this game .It is worth your money and you will have fun in this game. Expand
  20. Oct 24, 2013
    Max Payne 3 may feel like a bit of a rampage at times when going up against an unrealistic immense amount of armed thugs, but Max Payne 3 still carries the fun and dark elements from the previous 2 games which is key while not taking itself to seriously
  21. Oct 12, 2013
    At the very beginning it took me some time to really get into the game. I didn't touch it for a week or two after playing it for the first time but when I decided to give it a good go, the good things started to come along:

The game is full of action, makes use of nice visual effects and has stunning soundtracks. The story is okay and it doesn't last too long or too short. The controls are no problem to get used to but the slow-mo and hollywood diving can be abused to the max. HOWEVER, it suits perfectly if you only use it when you have to which is the way I used it. It's a game I'd happily play again on a higher difficulty.

Along with a couple of other games, this is one of the best single player games I've played. One should not hestitate if he likes games with good storyline gameplays.
  22. Sep 27, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is a really violent game, the visuals are quite impressive, bullet time is the best thing about this game. Th first half of this game is slow and cant seem to find good pacing for the story, but during the second half is when this game really shines. This is a well thought out shooter that could have been a little better.
  23. Sep 25, 2013
    This game was ok but far from incredible. I did not like the whole being in South America for most of the game. Max should have stayed in the USA! and I did not like the story all that much.
  24. Sep 18, 2013
    I never played any of the prior Max Payne games. Normally, I gravitate toward fantasy and sci-fi games. But Max Payne 3 got great reviews and was discounted on the PSN, so I figured I'd give it a try. And I'm really glad I did. The game is a noir third-person shooter about a down-on-his-luck ex-cop. At first, the noir vibe, the constant narration by the protagonist took some getting usedI never played any of the prior Max Payne games. Normally, I gravitate toward fantasy and sci-fi games. But Max Payne 3 got great reviews and was discounted on the PSN, so I figured I'd give it a try. And I'm really glad I did. The game is a noir third-person shooter about a down-on-his-luck ex-cop. At first, the noir vibe, the constant narration by the protagonist took some getting used to. By the time the second chapter rolled around, I was totally into the swing of it. Excellent voice acting and a compelling character pulled me through the story, which wasn't bad.

Of course, this is a game, and what shines the most is the gameplay. It's got smooth cover mechanics and, once I got the hang of them, good shooting controls. Plus several options to enter bullet time and feel like a total badass. It was fun, well paced, and just about the right length.

I recommend Max Payne to anyone that likes 3rd person shooters.
  25. Aug 18, 2013
    Max Payne 3 I don't know where to start... The game is Excellent!
    Presentation:
    Max Payne 3 I don't know where to start... The game is Excellent!
    Presentation:
    The game starts of with Max working as a body- guard for the Branco Family in Sao Paulo- Brazil with a new friend Raul Passos. During the game there are flashback missions which show how Max meets up with Raul. The story is fantastic with many plot- twists and memorable moments. Graphics are excellent and voice acting is top notch.

Gameplay:
    When the shooting starts you will find out why Max is such a bad-ass. The 'Bullet Time' and 'Shoot Dodge' mechanic from Max Payne 1 and 2 is back and heavily improved thanks to the R* Euphoria technology. Diving around and shooting accurately feels so good and when you kill the final enemy in the area, there is a kick-ass kill cam which looks and feels painfully satisfying. There are also pretty cool set pieces in the game such as shooting enemies from a moving boat with an LMG. There are a few game bugs here and there but aren't game breaking and the game can get a bit repetitive over time. Also the game sometimes throws a ridiculous amount of enemies at you which can be very frustrating.There is also a fantastic multiplayer mode with different game types and is very fun.

Verdict: The game is a must buy if you are or aren't a Max Payne fan because it is just fantastic. The campaign is about 10 hours long and the multiplayer is simply awesome. You do not need to play the previous Max Payne games to understand the story of Max Payne 3.
  26. Aug 7, 2013
    Great adventure and a very immersive storyline. I'm Portuguese so the language factor was a big thumbs up. Bullet time is amazing. The multiplayer is also very good. A masterpiece!!
  27. Jul 12, 2013
    Before I start reviewing the game I should point out that I haven't played any of the other Max Payne's so I can't compare but what I can say about this game is that it is great but not without flaws. Firstly the shooting mechanic, namely the dot reticule took me a couple of levels to get used to, I am just more used to a crosshair but when I got used to the dot reticule in this game laserBefore I start reviewing the game I should point out that I haven't played any of the other Max Payne's so I can't compare but what I can say about this game is that it is great but not without flaws. Firstly the shooting mechanic, namely the dot reticule took me a couple of levels to get used to, I am just more used to a crosshair but when I got used to the dot reticule in this game laser sights were added which I actually found they made me less accurate since your reticule disappears completely and you have to rely on where the laser hits the enemy which is hard at a long distance. Also shootdodge I found to be more cumbersome than useful. Leaping into the air action movie style looks cool but more often than not it got me killed since its usually wiser to just stay in cover. Bullettime on the other hand is very useful and is pretty much a must to complete some sections of the game. Another flaw though is that the story starts off slowly and is pretty boring for the first hour or two b ut perseverence will eventually pay off and after the slow start I really got interested in Max and grew to actually enjoy the cutscenes which I started off hating and warmed to Max's sarcastic sense of humour and running commentary. Another thing I loved was the action set-piece moments which often see max leaping into the air and surviving impossible odds against enemies. The graphics aren't too bad either and there is replayability due to new difficulties and some arcade challenge levels. This game is actually really good as it turns out as long as you can persevere for the first couple of hours. Expand
  28. Jun 27, 2013
    Welcome back, Max Payne, you're even better than I remembered. I love the grit and edge to this game. I hope they continue on with the character and make more Max Payne games.
  29. May 13, 2013
    It's an awesome game, no doubts about it. The epic slow motion dives and the story are really what defines this kind of genre. My only problem is the cutscene-shoot-cutscene-shoot scheme.
  30. May 5, 2013
    This was one of my GOTY contenders last year. It is just one of the most interesting and fun games i have ever played. I played this game straight through from beginning to end only stopping a few times. Just a beautiful piece of work. Max Payne is one of my favorite heros.
  31. Mar 29, 2013
    Faithful to the original story line. Fantastic game to say the least. Racked up tons of hours and a ridiculous body count with this game. Outstanding scenery and level building make this game severely intense.
  32. Mar 25, 2013
    Max Payne has never looked better (and older.) I enjoyed the game while playing it. However I'll start with the faults. It doesn't have the same noir feeling like the old ones. The classic comics for cut scenes has been replaced with plain old cut scenes (which most you can't skip.) Bullet Time and shoot dodging works the same, but it lacks the ability to regain bullet time while in bulletMax Payne has never looked better (and older.) I enjoyed the game while playing it. However I'll start with the faults. It doesn't have the same noir feeling like the old ones. The classic comics for cut scenes has been replaced with plain old cut scenes (which most you can't skip.) Bullet Time and shoot dodging works the same, but it lacks the ability to regain bullet time while in bullet time. Max can no longer regenerate health. Painkillers seem a little more uncommon. Max's character is still pretty much the same, but he seems to complain a lot. The game also doesn't have grenades like its predecessors. Which is not really a problem, but the scream enemies made in Max Payne 1 when you threw one at them was hilarious. (Grenades are in the multiplayer though.) The cover system introduced was very well made, but you can't turn corners. I died this way many times because of it. The game seems to encourage you to stay in cover rather than go out in bullet time and shoot dodging like in the old games. It pretty much turns the game into your standard third-person shooter like Uncharted or Gears of War. The story is really well written and still has that sad feeling for Max. No recurring characters are in Max Payne 3, instead appearing as models for multiplayer. No story elements from the old games are here too. But these are understandable since all the recurring characters are pretty much dead. The story is a little weird since Max has no reason to go to Brazil. I mean I don't no why the would write Max into that situation. The multiplayer is something else. I have not played it a lot so I'm not going to go in depth with it. It is pretty ok, but I had a lot of frustration with it. I do like how Max kind of narrates what happens. Overall Max Payne 3 is enjoyable, but Max Payne Vets will find this a little unfamiliar. I must admit though. I had so much anger with this game during the soccer stadium level. Expand
  33. Mar 14, 2013
    Max Payne 3 made a great comeback for the franchise and Max Payne comes back as hard as ever. One thing you will notice straight away is the superb graphic and the extreme details in the graphic. Max Payne 3 have of the BEST graphic I’ve seen with a TPS game. Max Payne 3 is a very cinematic game. And all the loading screens are replaced by cutscenes so you wouldn't be bored staring at aMax Payne 3 made a great comeback for the franchise and Max Payne comes back as hard as ever. One thing you will notice straight away is the superb graphic and the extreme details in the graphic. Max Payne 3 have of the BEST graphic I’ve seen with a TPS game. Max Payne 3 is a very cinematic game. And all the loading screens are replaced by cutscenes so you wouldn't be bored staring at a boring loading screen screen. The story is catchy and the single player campaign is tense and fun. Max Payne 3 also have one of the BEST dual wield mechanic and shooting mechanic for a TPS game. The AIs in MP3 are also one of the most realistic AIs I've seen in a game. The AIs are capable of gettin headshot of the player especially the elite soldier/cops. The AIs with shotguns can also get a one shot-kill of the player if the player gets too close. And don't forget the funs and grippy multiplayer complete with the bullet time mechanic and shoot dodge mechanic.There are the usual game modes such as death match team death match but one of the main game mode is the gang war which is a combination of different game modes including grabbing the bag, capturing the turf, one team tries to defend a turf while the other tries to capture the turf and when the turf is captured the capture team will move on to capture the next turf etc. There are also many different interesting and fun game modes in the gang war mode. This game mode really supports teamwork. Overall the Max Payne 3 is SUPERB game. The single player have a grippy and fun campaign. And the multiplayer is tense and very interesting. Max Payne 3 is a game shooter fans should NOT miss!!! Expand
  34. Mar 11, 2013
    Where do I begin? This game, man. Its just terrific! I've followed Max's journey since Max Payne 1 back in the Remedy days. Rockstar has done almost everything perfect with this game. The story is really, really good. The action never fails, but the one thing or two things I'm kind of bugged about is the cutscenes that cant be skipped. First time, of course you watch all the cutscenes andWhere do I begin? This game, man. Its just terrific! I've followed Max's journey since Max Payne 1 back in the Remedy days. Rockstar has done almost everything perfect with this game. The story is really, really good. The action never fails, but the one thing or two things I'm kind of bugged about is the cutscenes that cant be skipped. First time, of course you watch all the cutscenes and dont mind it the first time around. But when you want to play it on a higher difficulty or find another gold part you have to watch the long cutscenes again, which is kind of annoying since you just want to get through it.

The multiplayer is just f*cking great! I love it, I've spent alot of hours online playing team deathmatches which is in my opinion the best gamemode online.
  35. Mar 5, 2013
    I was not expecting this, the last few years have made me exceptionally picky about shooters; you get tons of them and they hardly ever have anything worthwile to diferenciate them from the bunch. Played the first Max Payne and loved it, but after nearly ten years and dozens of shooters along the way I was hoping for another corridor shooter with no soul.......... boy was I wrong. Max isI was not expecting this, the last few years have made me exceptionally picky about shooters; you get tons of them and they hardly ever have anything worthwile to diferenciate them from the bunch. Played the first Max Payne and loved it, but after nearly ten years and dozens of shooters along the way I was hoping for another corridor shooter with no soul.......... boy was I wrong. Max is as charming as I remember him, he's now middle aged and little more than a sewer rat, but he has this Bruce Willish air to him and hearing his gritty narration and wisecracks is a highlight in the game. Graphics are top notch, enemy AI is pretty decent, Rockstar shows again that no one does bullet time as well as they do, and the atmosphere is also incredible. Solid 8 for this one. Expand
  36. Feb 24, 2013
    Max Payne 3 it´s one of the best games of 2012, but still it has some problems.
    Pros and Cons:
    Pros: Nice story by Dan Houser, Envolving Score by Health, addictive gameplay, awesome slow-mo effects (Thank you, Euphoria engine) cool graphics and dual wielding! (That´s actually pretty fun BTW) Cons: It has SO MANY CUTSCENES. It ´s like every time you open a door SURPRISE! Cutscene.
    Max Payne 3 it´s one of the best games of 2012, but still it has some problems.
    Pros and Cons:

Cons: It has SO MANY CUTSCENES. It ´s like every time you open a door SURPRISE! Cutscene. Repetitive gameplay (cover, shoot, cover, shoot, SLOW-MO BIATCH! open door, cutscene)

Even though, it´s a pretty nice game, and it´s not as difficult as some reviewers here say, maybe they say that because they tried to beat the whole game using bullet time and shootdodge. Tip: DON´T TRY TO THAT OR THE GAME WILL BE AS DIFFICULT AS F**K!
    Oh, an aiming, is perfectly done! I don´t know whyy people complain about it! You can choose the easy but boring Hard Lock, the not as easy but quite satisfying Soft Lock and OFF, which is pretty hard but gives you total freedom to aim.

(Sorry for my english)
  37. Dec 27, 2012
    I am a huge fan of the original Max Payne games. They were stuffed with gritty themes and epic gameplay. Max Payne 3 is good. By today's gaming standards that is, Put the third installment up against it's predecessors and it will pale in comparison. However, put it up against other shooting games that you can purchase today and it offers a nice change. Gameplay: Very much theI am a huge fan of the original Max Payne games. They were stuffed with gritty themes and epic gameplay. Max Payne 3 is good. By today's gaming standards that is, Put the third installment up against it's predecessors and it will pale in comparison. However, put it up against other shooting games that you can purchase today and it offers a nice change. Gameplay: Very much the traditional jump around in slow mo and kill people. New features like the "x" on reticule to show when a guy is dead is nice and the introduction of cover to the series is helpful and feels right but overall makes it feel less "Payne-isn". I mean why jump around in different angles shooting people when you can just save pain killers and hide behind a knee high wall? Presentation: Max Payne 3 is a beautiful game. Brazil is an excellent setting to show off what Rockstar's engine is capable of. The physics engine is one of the best I have seen recently. Graphics are slick for the most part and the goriness of deaths of both Max and his enemies are wonderful. Story: Bland and straight forward. I enjoy that they kept the same voice actor for Max Payne. Kept some Noir style in the game which is nice. Overall: I enjoyed the return of Max Payne and while it was a little off from past installments it still is something fresh in today's gaming market. Enjoy! Expand
  38. Dec 22, 2012
    The story and the game play were superb. Graphics were top notch. Only knock is that it's another linear game. But it was a blast to play. A ton of heart-pumping moments and some neat surprises. Just really fun and extremely well made.
  39. Dec 22, 2012
    It will disappoint veteran max payne fans, as it is a huge departure, but this huge departure and a new, exciting aesthetic, a new method of storytelling, and updates the gameplay so it is smoother than a syrup enema and sets the bar for third person shooters. I acknowledge that it
  40. Dec 16, 2012
    I don't understand why some people are trashing this game. I have never played Max Payne 1 + 2 but I love 3. The graphics are gorgeous, the story is gritty, the controls are perfect, and most importantly..its fun. The bullet time mechanics work very well and the gunfights are challenging enough for hardcore players. The game does have some flaws, I personally noticed a drop in frame rateI don't understand why some people are trashing this game. I have never played Max Payne 1 + 2 but I love 3. The graphics are gorgeous, the story is gritty, the controls are perfect, and most importantly..its fun. The bullet time mechanics work very well and the gunfights are challenging enough for hardcore players. The game does have some flaws, I personally noticed a drop in frame rate at critical times and some enemies seem to bullet proof unless you are face to face with them. While these small complaints dont kill the fun they do at times cause aggravation. There are also times where Max's vocals don't match up with his lips moving and I personally don't care for some of the language (there is no reason to use G-Damn in any form of entertainment ) but that's my issue and I'm sure it won't bother the kids who think foul language is "grown up". In any event this game is great and I strongly recommend it to everyone who enjoys video games. I haven't tried multiplayer so my opinions are based on single player only. Expand
  41. Nov 27, 2012
    Drawing from all the things that made the first two Max Payne games a hit, adding in more expansive locations, better graphics, and making Max an older, more war-torn version of his ragged self, Rockstar has brought the man who deals death back from the brink of it.

The guns are awesome, the gameplay is linear, but still good; and the slow motion is as fun as ever. If you like shooters, or the previous M.P. games, you'll love this. 9/10,
  42. Nov 25, 2012
    I give this game a 10 because i rarely finish a game thinking without thinking 'They could of added that' or 'This coulda been different'. Incredible game from start to end. I like the merge of load screens with cut scenes and other developers should follow suit as you're not just staring at a bar filling up waiting for the next part, which loses you momentum. Kinda like, shooting - dramaI give this game a 10 because i rarely finish a game thinking without thinking 'They could of added that' or 'This coulda been different'. Incredible game from start to end. I like the merge of load screens with cut scenes and other developers should follow suit as you're not just staring at a bar filling up waiting for the next part, which loses you momentum. Kinda like, shooting - drama - drama - Shooting - -------Wait please----- Ok, now shoot again..Really is a great game in every way. The music that kicks in on the airport level is just too much! Really pulls you into it. Must buy. Expand
  43. Nov 10, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played. Everything was perfect, an the story was beautifully sprinkled with film noire and a tale of loss. Max is one of the most engrossing characters of all time, and your interested in everything he says. If this Game does now win Game Of The Year, then I don't know what will.
  44. Nov 4, 2012
    A gritty, full bloodied reincarnation of one of Rockstars most hailed characters. Max Payne returns in this 3rd installment with finely tuned gameplay, an interesting storyline, some great graphics, and a decent multiplayer component. Definitely worth the buy!
  45. Oct 31, 2012
    This is truly a fantastic game. Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours. The graphics, full of detail and constantly very colorful and at times and very beautiful
  46. Oct 30, 2012
    the best game of the year oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  47. Oct 29, 2012
    All that i can say about this game is that it is exactly what I've come to expect from Rockstar. Play through single player once and a little multiplayer - very polished - addictive gameplay and awesome multiplayer. Must buy
  48. Oct 27, 2012
    Although I never really got into the Multiplayer and only played through the Campaign once, this game is definitely worthy of a purchase. The entire feel of the single player felt amazing, and it provided a great, cinematic, violent, and fun-as-hell experience. The narration done by Max really helps you understand what's going on, and there are many plot twists and surprises along the way.Although I never really got into the Multiplayer and only played through the Campaign once, this game is definitely worthy of a purchase. The entire feel of the single player felt amazing, and it provided a great, cinematic, violent, and fun-as-hell experience. The narration done by Max really helps you understand what's going on, and there are many plot twists and surprises along the way. The gameplay is solid, and the slow motion looks really satisfying when you shoot somebody in the face with it. So if you're a gamer who loves a cinematic experience (story, graphics, presentation), do yourself a favour and buy this game. It is one of my most memorable single player experiences in the last 5 years of so (with Fallout 3, BioShock, and Dead Space competing) Expand
  49. Oct 17, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is certainly not as good as Max Payne 2, but in terms of gameplay, the game definitely does better than the originals. While story isn't quite as dark (even though it still is), and shootdodge is not quite as effective. the addition of multiplayer is fantastic, and the overall feel of the game is a more matured Max. A must buy for any fan of slow motion, guns, dark story, andMax Payne 3 is certainly not as good as Max Payne 2, but in terms of gameplay, the game definitely does better than the originals. While story isn't quite as dark (even though it still is), and shootdodge is not quite as effective. the addition of multiplayer is fantastic, and the overall feel of the game is a more matured Max. A must buy for any fan of slow motion, guns, dark story, and third person shooters. Expand
  50. Oct 16, 2012
    It is clear that Max Payne 3 has been used "the latest technology, innovative design, large mechanical and absorbing narrative and people to redefine the third-person shooters", do not think they redefined anything, but have become one of shooting games I've played most powerful in the entire generation.
  51. Oct 14, 2012
    No experience playing the first games needed.The developers made a great job of explaing almost all of Max Payne's past tribulations.This game's extremely linear, but the shoot-outs compensate that with some of the most varied, savage and memorable 3rd person action I've ever seen this side of Uncharted 2 & 3.The bullet-time mechanic is gimmicky, but surprinsingly it never gets old.SomeNo experience playing the first games needed.The developers made a great job of explaing almost all of Max Payne's past tribulations.This game's extremely linear, but the shoot-outs compensate that with some of the most varied, savage and memorable 3rd person action I've ever seen this side of Uncharted 2 & 3.The bullet-time mechanic is gimmicky, but surprinsingly it never gets old.Some encounters are very challenging and require some strategy instead of going Rambo-esque on the enemies.But the truly high-point of this game is definitely the tormented central character.Masterful voice acting and writing combines to give us some of the more funny (in a dark sort of way), self-loathing, irony-filled lines ever to grace a videogame.The seamless way in which in-game cinematics and gameplay are blended together is worth noting too.Also, there are "no loading times" because the game loads content while showing you cinematics.All in all, a pretty perfect game that deserves to be in any serious gamer collection. Expand
  52. Oct 8, 2012
    You can call me sucks but I think even though Max Payne 3 got some fascinating technologies to make gunfight feels very realistic but those realism really what makes the gunfight in the game a nightmare after another it's so realistic than I can feel myself playing my ass off but then AI just cheaply took me out with in few shots with their pinpoint accuracy it ridiculous,they also smartYou can call me sucks but I think even though Max Payne 3 got some fascinating technologies to make gunfight feels very realistic but those realism really what makes the gunfight in the game a nightmare after another it's so realistic than I can feel myself playing my ass off but then AI just cheaply took me out with in few shots with their pinpoint accuracy it ridiculous,they also smart too.
    Max Payne 3 is really the best example of how being too realistic can ruin the gameplay.
    But its realism is also means that every kill you made is so satisfying and every gunfight can give you that piss in your pants tension it gives you the unique experience that no other shooters can give! You could say that a serious skills are needed in order to complete anything harder than normal.
    Graphics can be rough in many areas due to its old age of RAGE engine but euphoria physics is awesome as ever.
    Sound is top notch even though I wish the weapons packs more punch than this.
    Story is you know pretty slick and Max Payne anti-hero attitude makes every cutscene a joy to watch and listen to..
    Multiplayer is every bit as good as the single player but feels a bit like a useless option since not so many people playing it.
    Despite its real life difficulty Max Payne 3 is a great 3rd person shooter that proves a single bullet can REALLY kill you.
  53. Sep 6, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is GRAPHIC!!!! I love it a little repetitive yes Lame no. This is a good game with good reasons to return to story mode for arcade and new york minute. What suprised me the most is how fun the multiplayer is I have a great time with it sure it is easy to get kills but staying alive is the fun part. Also tons of cool perks and items to keep you busy with it for quite a while.Max Payne 3 is GRAPHIC!!!! I love it a little repetitive yes Lame no. This is a good game with good reasons to return to story mode for arcade and new york minute. What suprised me the most is how fun the multiplayer is I have a great time with it sure it is easy to get kills but staying alive is the fun part. Also tons of cool perks and items to keep you busy with it for quite a while. Way better multi than RDR makes me want GTA5 even more. Stop hatin on Max or die in slow motion Bullet Time!!! Expand
  54. Aug 17, 2012
    I think 9 out of 10 is the most adequate rating for Max Payne 3, gameplay and graphics are actually pretty good and the story wasn't bad either. The multiplayer carries two interesting features which are: load out weight and bullet time, they are both great. Additions like assignments, clues and golden guns will also make Max Payne 3 more lasting. The reason I didn't gave it a full scoreI think 9 out of 10 is the most adequate rating for Max Payne 3, gameplay and graphics are actually pretty good and the story wasn't bad either. The multiplayer carries two interesting features which are: load out weight and bullet time, they are both great. Additions like assignments, clues and golden guns will also make Max Payne 3 more lasting. The reason I didn't gave it a full score was the story more, some people won't find it true to Max Payne and other may call it repetitive. But still, this game worth buying Expand
  55. Aug 13, 2012
    I have to admit, I was quite excited about this game. I ordered it from the EB Games website and waited patiently for it to come in through the post. When I finally got it, I put the much-loved Yakuza 3 back on the shelf for a few days to soak in Max Payne 3. I mean, I was holding a new Rockstar game. I know some will argue that reviewers needlessly overhype games, but LA Noire wasn't madeI have to admit, I was quite excited about this game. I ordered it from the EB Games website and waited patiently for it to come in through the post. When I finally got it, I put the much-loved Yakuza 3 back on the shelf for a few days to soak in Max Payne 3. I mean, I was holding a new Rockstar game. I know some will argue that reviewers needlessly overhype games, but LA Noire wasn't made by Rockstar and Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto IV were brilliant games, so I thought this was going to be as good as them. This just proves that even people who do spend most of their free time examining and reviewing games (check out the link below) can be wrong. In the first ten minutes, I concluded that this was feeling a lot like a generic game as my hype levels plumetted from "holy **** Max Payne 3" to "oh, wow. Max Payne 3". This game, though by no means bad, feels like a lazy expansion on a dead series. Max Payne 2 was really the be all and end all of the series, being absolutely brilliant and even better than it's predecessor, and this feels like it was made to drag in the old fans of the series that were hungry for more while also trying to make a game for newcomers to the series. When I finally played this game, it felt like Hitman: Absolution before E3, where people (including me) were feeling cheated and wanted out old Hitman back. This game is a good game. Just not a great game. I am disappointed that Rockstar have not lived up to their usual standards, especially with one of their most loved franchises that has been awaited by the fans and newcomers alike since its announcement. All of the press releases by Rockstar and all of the pre-release hype didn't really come out, because everyone (well, most people) would have bought it and thought "well, is this it? Is this all Max Payne is?". I remember discussing it with a friend the day after. He was initially thrilled of the idea of me getting Max Payne 3, because he knew he would be able to come over and play it. After I explained it, however, he began to lose interest in the game entirely and began to doodle on his I-Phone as I explained the nature of the game. And, once you manage to get to the part in all the trailers about the fat, bald and drug-addicted Max Payne you are left feeling utterly shortchanged. I thought this was going to be a new and improved Max Payne that I would have learned to love. Instead, he feels like a complete rip-off of Lynch from the Kane and Lynch games. He has the same clothing, the same fatness, virtually no hair and a massive beard while also sporting a drug addiction (Lynch's was the pills that kept him from going on his minor psychotic rampages). And, along with this, the rest of the game feels like a rip off of Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days. Once you get past the first part of the game, you have basically done everything in the game that there is to do. The controls in this game are clunky and imprecise, not exactly what you want for a third person action game, and the aiming system is either the annoying and imprecise lock on system or no proper aiming at all. The lock-on system means that you will be left aiming at the chests of all the goons in body armour. These goons will then move around as you clumsily try to lock in on the guy's head, completely eliminating the purpose of a lock on system to begin with, causing you to go into the Bullet-Time system, which wastes it, so you may as well have included an automatic head lock-on, Rockstar. And the bullet time jumping and shooting doesn't work at all as manual aiming is a completely pointless endeavour that will leave you completely infuriated as you go mindlessly across the battlefield looking for the enemies that blend into the background. This game, I must say, is actually quite hard on easy mode compared to most other games, so there is really no point using manual aim unless you like watching the infinite killcams zooming into your face as a healthy bullet flies through it just for you. But this game isn't wholly bad. It is quite a bit of fun as long as you can put up with living through the cutscenes and all of that. If you can do this, you will find this game incredibly enjoyable and really worth your time. Just learn to shoot correctly...

www.blunderbussgaming.blogspot.com.au
  56. Aug 8, 2012
    I'm putting 10 because it closer to my score for the game (9.6). Max Payne 3 is one of the best TPS you can play this year; its look, its story, its sound, and its gameplay make it overall one of the best games Rockstar made of this generation (second only to GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption).
  57. Aug 7, 2012
    This isn't anything mindblowingly new to fans of the Max Payne series, but in my opinion this is the best game of the series now. It's a game that while not an all time great or anything is still one of the better games of this generation. The 3rd person shooter's mechanics are very well done, and the story to the game is also interesting. Overall, it's a fun game without any major flaws.
  58. Jul 23, 2012
    Everything positive that's been said about the game is true. The dark, violent and amazingly well (voice)acted story is one of the best from Rockstar. The game play is simple, but works very well; and the graphics are awesome (including the feedback effects, and the detail to attention to detail). The musical score and soundtrack in the game is not only really fitting to the location, butEverything positive that's been said about the game is true. The dark, violent and amazingly well (voice)acted story is one of the best from Rockstar. The game play is simple, but works very well; and the graphics are awesome (including the feedback effects, and the detail to attention to detail). The musical score and soundtrack in the game is not only really fitting to the location, but also really great and adds to the mood of the story. The multi player is well done. The game modes are interesting and brings back all of the great game play from the single player including bullet time. Even though the single player is enough for the full price, Rockstar added this great multi player and adds more hours of game play. Overall, if you're into a story heavy game with great multi player this game is for you. Be warned though even on medium difficulty, you may sometimes find that the game can be challenging. Expand
  59. Jul 22, 2012
    i've never been a fan of max payne saga ( especially the second one) but it's surprisingly amazing, the main campaign delivers one of the most brutal and fun action of the year, and even better the multiplayer adds a terrific experience.
    entering other aspects the grahapics shows another succes of the euphoria engine with some great bullet effects and some nicely detail characters, some gameplay mechanics show the special touch of this franchise but with a little rockstar feel to it.
    personally i love the game and enters my list of best games of the year so far.
  60. Jul 22, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is an absolutely brilliant game, especially for fan of the franchise like myself. The mechanics are amazing, the gameplay is fluid; the physics engine is just brilliant. Rockstar did a terrific job on this max payne and its been a long time coming; the only reason I gave it a 9 is due to the storyline; I did enjoy the storyline but it felt out of place and less entertainingMax Payne 3 is an absolutely brilliant game, especially for fan of the franchise like myself. The mechanics are amazing, the gameplay is fluid; the physics engine is just brilliant. Rockstar did a terrific job on this max payne and its been a long time coming; the only reason I gave it a 9 is due to the storyline; I did enjoy the storyline but it felt out of place and less entertaining than the first 2, however the story mode was worth the playthrough, even if it was just the gameplay. The multiplayer is brilliant, the game modes are entertaining (especially gang wars) and the customisation is the most in-depth of its kind, I would recommend this game for any max payne fan (you probably bought it anyway) and even fans new to the series as its just a breathtaking game. 9/10, possibly 10/10 Expand
  61. Jul 19, 2012
    Easily one off the best games of this console generation. To me, Max Payne is the definition of a linear, story focused game done right. The controls are excellent, graphics are great, the presentation blew me away, and the ending was just done beautifully. It really doesn't get much better.
  62. Jul 18, 2012
    Max Payne 3 destroys the first two and honestly may actually be one of the best video games I've played in quite a while. Max Payne 3 plays much like the past ones. You run around through the environment and shoot enemies while diving in slow-motion or engaging in bullet time just by standing. The first thing I feel I need to address is the game's presentation. This is a big game and MaxMax Payne 3 destroys the first two and honestly may actually be one of the best video games I've played in quite a while. Max Payne 3 plays much like the past ones. You run around through the environment and shoot enemies while diving in slow-motion or engaging in bullet time just by standing. The first thing I feel I need to address is the game's presentation. This is a big game and Max and Rockstar are both aware of that. It has an absolutely thrilling story that is tightly woven around each character. The characters are all really likeable even if a lot of them are traitors. These aren't just one dimensional bad guys that shoot at you for no reason. There is a reason you just have to wait a while and find out. My favorite character was Da Silva. He's a member of the Sao Paulo police force who Max ends up working with towards the end of the game. He's also brilliantly voiced, but then again so is everybody in this game. The whole scheme of things keeps getting bigger until the unbelievable finale. I also have no doubts that this is one of the best looking games of this generation so far. The attention to detail is amazing. Every single thing has been given complete attention to give you one of the most immersive linear game worlds you've ever been in. There is a multiplayer component and though I do enjoy it I feel that the controls for it are really clunky. It's a lot of fun anyways though. Really I only have two complaints with this game and they are kind of connected. If you play for long enough you'll notice that the game is relentlessly difficult on harder difficulties. The other complaint is the horrendous checkpoint system. I once had to shoot my way out of a room walk towards a door where five other enemies were kill them, go into another room where 3 more enemies were, then walk into a huge area with another 5 enemies, and then walk into a bar that was being held by 5 more enemies and then I finally hit a checkpoint. Not to mention there were no painkillers in between there besides the ones you end up spawning with after you die so much. Other than those minor flaws and the somewhat clunky multiplayer it is a fantastic game. Expand
  63. Jul 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Max Payne 3 is a fantastic game!!! Multiplayer is the best!!! Great story and gameplay. The multiplayer looks like a Red Dead Rendenption, but a Rockstar make a good job and the multiplayer of Max Payne 3 is much better yet. Expand
  64. Jul 16, 2012
    I am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried someI am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried some of the multiplayer and let me tell you it ain't bad either. I cant wait to get back on! EASY 10 Expand
  65. Jul 16, 2012
    This is a really good followup game. Iv played all the Max Payne games and this stays true to the franchise, the grapics, game play and story are good and the decent multiplayer is just the icing on the cake. This game is a must buy if you like shooters and good storytelling
  66. Jul 14, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great game. There is no other way of saying it. I found myself immersed into the incredible story it tells. I only have one problem with it. The shooting got a bit dull by the end. It's great fun, but towards the end I needed to take a break. Nothing new was added. It was all the same over and over again. I loved the game, but just had a few problems with having to playMax Payne 3 is a great game. There is no other way of saying it. I found myself immersed into the incredible story it tells. I only have one problem with it. The shooting got a bit dull by the end. It's great fun, but towards the end I needed to take a break. Nothing new was added. It was all the same over and over again. I loved the game, but just had a few problems with having to play almost the same way all the way through. The game's story is it's strong point. And you have a lot of "Oh my god" moments, so the whole experience was great and worth it! Expand
  67. Jul 12, 2012
    I watched its trailer for about 4 to 5 times..each time i watched its trailer i became desperate to buy this game...and yea i Love this Game, Rockstar really worked Hard on this one .. and they proved (to me) that they r the best game-makers in the whole damn world!!
  68. Jul 11, 2012
    My first review was crap so lets take 2. I believe Max Payne 3 is an amazing game. It brings a hero who while rich with what feels like real emotion and drive, shows you this hero is definitely not a role-model. He's down to earth and fills every wrong decision he's made with a drink, a pill and a bullet in another mans head. The game shows that Max is a **** Every shot feels brutal andMy first review was crap so lets take 2. I believe Max Payne 3 is an amazing game. It brings a hero who while rich with what feels like real emotion and drive, shows you this hero is definitely not a role-model. He's down to earth and fills every wrong decision he's made with a drink, a pill and a bullet in another mans head. The game shows that Max is a **** Every shot feels brutal and you feel Max's Pain. That is in the singleplayer mode. I personally believe more developers should make storys as this game makes its story, the complete opposite of a fairytale. Those who say that this isn't Max Payne have not played it. Seriously. It is Max Payne and I can promise you that. There is not a single part of the story and gameplay that made me think of any rockstar game. So we can put those rumors to the side.
    Multiplayer is amazing. Seriously easy to get into and plays smoothly. I recommend this game for every person. Max fan or not.
  69. Jul 10, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is the best linear third person shooter i have ever play, anyone that say this game suck is simply stupid, this game puts every other 3rd person shooter to shame (except uncharted)
  70. Jul 10, 2012
    Max Payne 3 has a brilliant story, gorgeous graphics, great to multplayer, good dub portugues.A Rockstar not fail to bring Max Payne 3 game with a few defects as São Paulo does not depict a real 100%, I live in São Paulo for 15 years and I've never seen someone who has brain into the river groupie besides Max Payne, this and a few aspects of the rebuilding of São PauloMax Payne 3 has a brilliant story, gorgeous graphics, great to multplayer, good dub portugues.A Rockstar not fail to bring Max Payne 3 game with a few defects as São Paulo does not depict a real 100%, I live in São Paulo for 15 years and I've never seen someone who has brain into the river groupie besides Max Payne, this and a few aspects of the rebuilding of São Paulo that failed but is an excellent game that makes you want more. Expand
  71. Jul 3, 2012
    I see alot of people saying this is nota max payne game, which imo is as far from the truth as possible, this is a very dark violent game. People are just getting used to violence so its nothing new like the older games, this game is great, shooting feels great the bullet time makes some awesome scenes diving in shooting every 1, the story is intense and really keeps you moving foward, iI see alot of people saying this is nota max payne game, which imo is as far from the truth as possible, this is a very dark violent game. People are just getting used to violence so its nothing new like the older games, this game is great, shooting feels great the bullet time makes some awesome scenes diving in shooting every 1, the story is intense and really keeps you moving foward, i jus bought the game the other day, i wasnt really expecting much but i was blown awawy, kinda short story but excellent game, i havent even tried the multiplayer yet but again i love the story mode Expand
  72. Jun 30, 2012
    I'll do this shortly: Max Payne 3 is an incredible game! Is it linear? Yep. Is the gameplay innovative? Nope. Has it good graphics? Hell yes, awesome graphics. Is the story good? IMO, nope. Why the hell is this game good then? Max Payne 3 is so good because it got GREAT narrative. Max has always a cynical tone and a strong personality. The cutscenes works together with Max' narration,I'll do this shortly: Max Payne 3 is an incredible game! Is it linear? Yep. Is the gameplay innovative? Nope. Has it good graphics? Hell yes, awesome graphics. Is the story good? IMO, nope. Why the hell is this game good then? Max Payne 3 is so good because it got GREAT narrative. Max has always a cynical tone and a strong personality. The cutscenes works together with Max' narration, building some sort of amazing interactive action movie. That proves that games are growing up and being closer to movies than ever. This is both good and bad, but it's not a matter to discuss here.
    The multiplayer is just like another third-person shooter but with the bullet-time and shootdodge. If you apreciate that kind of multiplayer, go for it.
    I'm a brazilian guy, and I can say that the amount of dirty words brazilian dudes speak is god damn high! In other words, pretty much the reality.
    In sum, Max Payne 3 is a mediocre game but with spetacular story-telling, what makes it more than worth picking up and giving a try.
  73. Jun 28, 2012
    Fantastic game, with a dark and gritty tone. It is very well presented with great graphics, the gameplay being fantastic and the cut scenes capturing the gritty tone of the game.
    Rockstar games usually have mediocre shooting mechanics, but this changes in Max Payne 3, where the shooting mechanics are superb with the shoot-dodge and bullet time being even better than the previous Max Payne Titles.
    The story mode is great with a great story and great action segments with many different options available for difficulty and aiming. There is also level select when the game is finished which I liked as it allowed me to play my favorite parts of the game again and again and helped when looking for the clues and the golden guns.
    The multiplayer is what you would expect with standard gamemodes like team deathmatch etc. with my favourite game mode being gang wars. I also like how you can play the multiplayer with free aim with others, or with lock on with others, this is good as it means that others don't have and advantage over you and makes the game fair.
    The Rockstar gangs feature is great allowing you and some friends to create a gang/clan to play online with tracking your gangs stats, starting rivalries with other gangs and creating a logo for you gang which can be used on some clothing items in multiplayer.
    9/10. Rockstar sure know how to make good games.
  74. Jun 26, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is the best game I've played all year. The story is engaging and very well written. The soundtrack and voice acting is fantastic. The gameplay is better than ever. The multiplayer is deep and rewarding, with great customization and unlockables. Max Payne 3 may suffer from a few minor hiccups, but it stands firmly on it's own two feet and delivers on all fronts. Don't miss outMax Payne 3 is the best game I've played all year. The story is engaging and very well written. The soundtrack and voice acting is fantastic. The gameplay is better than ever. The multiplayer is deep and rewarding, with great customization and unlockables. Max Payne 3 may suffer from a few minor hiccups, but it stands firmly on it's own two feet and delivers on all fronts. Don't miss out on this beautiful game from one of the best developers in the industry. Expand
  75. Jun 23, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great game, maybe the best of the saga. Adult, mature, hard. It is not perfect because there are bugs and freeze, and the voice acting is in English only. But great game.
  76. Jun 20, 2012
    This game of good games but I do not always look out for!!! Because they are not or do not have a very big change! The same story or the story of revenge! There should be open map!
  77. Jun 17, 2012
    Well guess what? it's been many years waiting for fans and critics to played this game and last year, the first trailer i see is what makes me look excited and also for Design and Technology trailer too.Now when i finish the game, unlike its predecessor a singleplayer story never contained in-game loading instead it continue with cut-scene, the graphic,gameplay and voice-acting looksWell guess what? it's been many years waiting for fans and critics to played this game and last year, the first trailer i see is what makes me look excited and also for Design and Technology trailer too.Now when i finish the game, unlike its predecessor a singleplayer story never contained in-game loading instead it continue with cut-scene, the graphic,gameplay and voice-acting looks topnotch and i really liked the story but some plot made me felt something that is completely loose and the cutscenes made me loose myself up and the bugs is frustating.The multiplayer have many modes you can played with two types of aim Free Aim and Soft Lock and Rookies and normal and also for singleplayer which had Soft Lock, Hard Lock and Free Aim.Shooting dodge and slow-mo gameplay is awesome and Euphoria helped this game alot too.If you want to play Third Person Shooter then here the most anticipated game of this year. Expand
  78. Jun 15, 2012
    HE IS BACK! He is screwed like always, now in BRAZIL! VAI MORRER FILHA DA PUTA! SEU ARROMBADO! PERDEU O BUZÃO TIOZÃO?! A very well dubbed portuguese, and the most unforgettable gameplay action in the series.
  79. Jun 11, 2012
    There is two sides to this game: The story and the gameplay. Looking strictly at the story, this is one of the best told stories out there. The whole Noir style of telling stories, when done right, is easily one of the best mediums to use in storytelling and it's done to perfection here. While Max Payne isn't a character you'll like, your able to associate with him and if your a veteran ofThere is two sides to this game: The story and the gameplay. Looking strictly at the story, this is one of the best told stories out there. The whole Noir style of telling stories, when done right, is easily one of the best mediums to use in storytelling and it's done to perfection here. While Max Payne isn't a character you'll like, your able to associate with him and if your a veteran of the series, you hope to see him find some solution to the endless pain he feels on a daily basis. It would help if you've played the other two games before this one as you'll be lost at certain parts of the story. However you dont HAVE to have had played the other two to enjoy this story. However, the gameplay leaves something to be desired. With all the innovations that the Gears franchise has brought to cover based shooters, Max Payne has set those types of shooters back a few years with this game. The game is made more difficult just by the controls and the gameplay itself. The gunplay itself is not very fun and the bullet time, at this point in time to series veterans, is nothing special and does get kinda old after awhile. It still is essential to completing the game but it's novelty will eventually wear you down to the point where you don't really even care how cool it is anymore. The PS3 version, the one I played, had a number of graphical bugs and glitches that definitely impacted how I enjoyed the game. There were tons of lag spikes, enemies running through walls and shooting through walls, and terrible sound glitches that caused me to miss out on whole sentences of dialogue,which was the biggest issue for me since the story is why you are able to sit through the subpar gameplay in the first place. I haven't played multiplayer and I won't. The shooting mechanics feel like they are stuck in 2004 and I can easily pick up and play Gears 3 or MW3 if I want to play a shooter online. To sum it up: If you play games for the story, then pick this game up right now. The story is very engaging and will keep you guessing (somewhat) till the end. However the gameplay and the glitches, at least on the PS3 version, will hinder your ability to enjoy this game to the fullest. But this game can be easily completed if you were to rent it for 5 days or so, which I would recommend over buying it at this point. You won't go wrong buying this game but there are better pure shooters out there today that don't have the AAA story to go along with them. Expand
  80. Jun 11, 2012
    Wow what a great game. I've gotta say I'm been impressed with every rockstar game I've played and this is one heck of a game. It has an exciting campaign that keeps you on your toes and twists to the campaign that you wouldn't guess what's coming next. Some cons are that the health sorta sucks and some times it glitches up and you can't use bullet time and you can randomly die. Some prosWow what a great game. I've gotta say I'm been impressed with every rockstar game I've played and this is one heck of a game. It has an exciting campaign that keeps you on your toes and twists to the campaign that you wouldn't guess what's coming next. Some cons are that the health sorta sucks and some times it glitches up and you can't use bullet time and you can randomly die. Some pros are awesome collectables, bullet time is a fun experience, and the AI is actually intelligent using tactics compared to red dead. I think this is a fun new experience that every gamer should play it Expand
  81. Jun 10, 2012
    This is an excellent game, and not having played previous Max Payne games it felt as though it wasn't required. The presentation of the game is top notch from the graphics and menu design. I love small touches like the constant changing background in the menu depending on where you are in the story and the loading screens which have snapshots of what's happened in the story. The storyThis is an excellent game, and not having played previous Max Payne games it felt as though it wasn't required. The presentation of the game is top notch from the graphics and menu design. I love small touches like the constant changing background in the menu depending on where you are in the story and the loading screens which have snapshots of what's happened in the story. The story itself is compelling and interesting which leads onto simple but satisfying gameplay. There isn't much wrong with this game. It could be said that the pacing of the game isn't perfect and there isn't quite as much variation as expected. But what the game does it does very well. The singleplayer lasts about 10 hours and it's a singleplayer you're going to wanna replay. Expand
  82. Jun 10, 2012
    Soundtrack is Good and credits song is awesome 10/10
    Multiplayer is so fun 10/10

Max Payne 3 10/10
  83. Jun 9, 2012
    the story line in this is superb, well paced and always keeps you guessing on whats coming next. The visual glitches can get annoying and distract you from the experience, but once you learn to look past them, it looks really nice (why did they even include them!?). The game play is awesome, as expected from rock star (or any other game publishers for that matter). However i have onethe story line in this is superb, well paced and always keeps you guessing on whats coming next. The visual glitches can get annoying and distract you from the experience, but once you learn to look past them, it looks really nice (why did they even include them!?). The game play is awesome, as expected from rock star (or any other game publishers for that matter). However i have one major gripe. In the single player you have an inability to throw grenades, yet enemies can throw them at you. Even worse is that when you go online, you suddenly have the ability to throw grenades!!!!!!! it seems small, but it really ticked me off. Any who, the online is some of the best i have played in years. It takes a while to get into, but once you do you feel right at home.
    Max Payne 3 is almost a masterpiece, but few minor misjudgments hold it back from being a masterpiece. However if you love film noir, the previous two games or action in general, you should definitely give it a go
  84. Jun 9, 2012
    This game is what im going to judge all of my third person shooters on now, this will be the pinnacle. This game has an absolutely amazing story line, game play,graphics and ending. Max Payne 3 was everything i hoped for. The story is what made the game for me its a constant battle with his past and present and his monologue is drenched in melancholy its such a depressing game and theThis game is what im going to judge all of my third person shooters on now, this will be the pinnacle. This game has an absolutely amazing story line, game play,graphics and ending. Max Payne 3 was everything i hoped for. The story is what made the game for me its a constant battle with his past and present and his monologue is drenched in melancholy its such a depressing game and the ending completes. An easy 10/10 Expand
  85. Jun 8, 2012
    top of the line graphics and physics, everything plays like a movie, some cutscenes can be annoying but def like the story and colorful characters, gunplay is awesome, single player maybe a lil short, but great, i'd rate this game a 8.5 or higher, some frustrating checkpoint restarts, and hit accuracy but very minimal,multi player is fun, deathmatch and other modes available,
  86. Jun 7, 2012
    Finally. After years of waiting Max Payne, the hard-boiled cop (well, now ex-cop) has returned to do what he does best - avenge the fallen ones, shooting bad guys on the run while in slo-mo. But is it the same type of a dark noir story as in the first two games? Well, not quite. You can certainly feel Rockstar's touch in this one, and it's both good and bad. This time the game takesFinally. After years of waiting Max Payne, the hard-boiled cop (well, now ex-cop) has returned to do what he does best - avenge the fallen ones, shooting bad guys on the run while in slo-mo. But is it the same type of a dark noir story as in the first two games? Well, not quite. You can certainly feel Rockstar's touch in this one, and it's both good and bad. This time the game takes inspiration not from the noir detective stories, but from Tony Scott's movies, especially "Man on Fire". So expect lots of yellow and constant distortion effects, which some people consider annoying (I don't mind them personally). As for an old Max Payne fan, another thing that contrasts with the previous games are the dialogues. They are more dirty with lots of swearing, with Max ocasionally dropping an F-bomb, which he has never done before. And though the dialogues sometimes try to resemble Sam Lake's metaphor-filled dark writings, the overall feel is different. One more thing that I was a bit disappointed with is that the story doesn't have almost any connection to the first games. I mean, almost all the old characters are dead, but still, what about Bravura? (Actually some more info on this will be in the comics, but why not in the game?) Now for the gameplay - it's core is the good ol' run and gun spiced up with the Bullet Time (TM) which lets you accurately shoot down baddies in a very stylish way. However, sometimes you are basically forced to use the cover system, as many enemies are too far away to run-and-kill, and besides even on Normal difficulty an open confrontaion can quickly result in your death. Multiplayer is challenging and fun, with a great Loadout system and clever implementation of the mentioned before Bullet Time. To sum up, it is a worthy sequel to the old classic, but it isn't the same without Remedy who made it all, so it looks more like a tribute to Max Payne. Nevertheless, an awesome game definitely worth picking up. Expand
  87. Jun 6, 2012
    I don't know why this game hasn't get a higher score From the critics, like another member said, I only create this account to write my opinión. In only four words I'm gonna said, every time I play this game I constantly think: OMFG!
  88. Jun 5, 2012
    After completing the campaign twice, investing many hours into multiplayer and collecting all of the golden guns i've came to the conclusion that Max Payne 3 is my favourite game of the year so far. The game is refreshing from gameplay to cut scenes and provides a challenge which seems to be missing in modern games. The feature bullet time is epic, there is nothing better than slow-moAfter completing the campaign twice, investing many hours into multiplayer and collecting all of the golden guns i've came to the conclusion that Max Payne 3 is my favourite game of the year so far. The game is refreshing from gameplay to cut scenes and provides a challenge which seems to be missing in modern games. The feature bullet time is epic, there is nothing better than slow-mo diving through the air while penetrating bullets into an enemies face. However, the game may not be for everyone as the game is often linear and the game likes to take control away from the player but only to deliver an awesome story. Max Payne 3 is a game which has long lasting appeal but it really doesn't matter the number of hours you play, you will be guaranteed to have fun. Expand
  89. Jun 4, 2012
    Probably the game of the year, Top 3 at least.
    When Max Payne and Max Payne 2 came out, was a different time. They bring something new and fresh, the gameplay and the story telling, just like some Marvel Noirâ
  90. Jun 3, 2012
    Enjoyed this very much. It's got elements of different things, yet its very much its own game. The multiplayer is fun, and makes you pick and choose wisely. Story was excellent, and well done. Great game.
  91. Jun 2, 2012
    Max Payne is a cop that has had a very hard life. His wife and baby were killed by drug addicts, he is framed for the murder of his best friend, and the other women he has feelings for is killed. Max abuses alcohol and painkillers because of what has happened to him.
    Max Payne 3 picks up almost a decade after the first two games, away from the dark and melancholy streets of New York to the bright and gang filled favelas of Sau Paulo, Brazil. As Max you are tasked with protecting a rich family based in Sau Paulo. As with most of Max Payne's life things go horribly wrong when a gang of thugs kidnap someone in the family. It is up to Max and his friend, Passos to save her. This game has beautiful graphics, from the enormous favelas in Brazil to the night clubs were beats are pounding and lights are bright. Voice acting is superb and made me care for the characters. There is a lot of detail in this game.
    Gameplay is superb. Triggering bullet time and watching foes drop in slow motion never gets old. There is also a bullet cam, in which you watch a bullet in slow motion rip through your enemy. Max Payne 3 Is extremely violent, bullets destroy faces, leave entrance wounds and exit wounds, and there is a horror movie level of gore. I cringed every time bullet cam was initiated and I saw my target drop with a disgusting bullet wound to his face. Be careful Max is very fragile, prepare to die a lot.
    Multiplayer has made a first appearance in the series and it is very good. It was very addicting to jump into a round of multiplayer and use bullet time against other human players. There is incredibly deep customization for everything.
    Max Payne 3 is one of the best games I ever played. While its not perfect you will be doing a disservice to yourself if you don't experience this game for yourself.
    Max Payne 3 10/10
  92. Jun 2, 2012
    Rockstar is typically known for producing engrossing story driven, polished titles with a a heavy focus on gameplay. The former is here in spades while the latter is lackluster and disappointingly non-ehistant. Did I have a great time with Max? Hell yes. However, I was left feeling as though I'd been doing the same things over and over again. Meet a squad of thugs, slaughter them inRockstar is typically known for producing engrossing story driven, polished titles with a a heavy focus on gameplay. The former is here in spades while the latter is lackluster and disappointingly non-ehistant. Did I have a great time with Max? Hell yes. However, I was left feeling as though I'd been doing the same things over and over again. Meet a squad of thugs, slaughter them in slo-mo, and repeat was what happened far too often. Despite being backed with some brilliant voice acting and a dark, thoughtful campaign, Max Payne had such promise but left me feeling as though I was entirely done with the game. Multilayer and arcade try, but feel awkward. If you could still rent games, this would be one of them. If you're in dire need of a brutally violent 3rd person shooter, then I'd suggest waiting for the price to drop. Thank god Rockstar has GTAV next up on their roster, easily the most anticipated game in the next while.. Expand
  93. May 31, 2012
    Rockstar is my favorite game company and Max Payne is one of my all-time favorite game series. I played the original two on the PC over and over. This is the closest I've seen to action game perfection on the 360. While most game heroes are like Comic Book characters. Never aging, never evolving. Catching up with Max in MP3 is much like catching up with John McClain or John J. Rambo inRockstar is my favorite game company and Max Payne is one of my all-time favorite game series. I played the original two on the PC over and over. This is the closest I've seen to action game perfection on the 360. While most game heroes are like Comic Book characters. Never aging, never evolving. Catching up with Max in MP3 is much like catching up with John McClain or John J. Rambo in their most recent installments. He's broken, empty addicted to pain killers and booze (anyone would be who lived his life) and is good at only one thing - killing. Disillusionment with the NYPD he finds himself a bodyguard for super rich family in Brazil. All that leads to a great story, though not as poignant an ending as the first two since this wasn't as personal. Still great stuff and the action is bloody-awesome. Only the earlier Max Payne's and the underrated first two Soldier of Fortune game delivered such pulse pounding, satisfying violence. I do wish it was longer, it seemed short but I played the HELL out of it so it's hard to gauge. It's addicting. Plus the original Max was short, all the better to replay and enjoy it again. You might wonder why I didn't give it a 10. I'm for a time when game reviewers almost never gave out a 10. My only 10 on the 360 would be "Red Dead Redemption". Expand
  94. May 30, 2012
    This is, indeed, a great game. But calling it "Rockstar's best" is a little bit too much... The gameplay is great, so is the storytelling but, in my honest opinion, it could be better; there are problems, for instance, with how they portray Brazil (trust me, things are not exactly how they say they are). I'm having a lot of fun with MP3 but I still prefer the good and old "GTA feel" thatThis is, indeed, a great game. But calling it "Rockstar's best" is a little bit too much... The gameplay is great, so is the storytelling but, in my honest opinion, it could be better; there are problems, for instance, with how they portray Brazil (trust me, things are not exactly how they say they are). I'm having a lot of fun with MP3 but I still prefer the good and old "GTA feel" that this game lacks. No worthy of its hype. A great game, yes; but nothing more than that. Expand
  95. May 30, 2012
    This game is just so much fun, i do not know where to even start. The Campaign is very well paced and really really fun and inspired and you never really feel like you are out of the game for too long, it just feels like a simulated action movie. I really loved small touches such as Max holding the guns he was just using before in cutscenes and how he will think to himself if you getThis game is just so much fun, i do not know where to even start. The Campaign is very well paced and really really fun and inspired and you never really feel like you are out of the game for too long, it just feels like a simulated action movie. I really loved small touches such as Max holding the guns he was just using before in cutscenes and how he will think to himself if you get stuck. he says stuff like "is there a switch in that room?" and i just love how rockstar just gives you a little hand to hold on to, but you are not squeezing onto it for life. I loved the realness to the game and how if you hit a wall you will actually crumble against it and max will not hover against the wall like in past games. For Everyone that was worried, yes the storie is still very much noire despite the change of a nightime new york(which there is some) to the Sao Paulo in Brazil and beyond. The Multiplayer is really interesting but i do not see there being a community for a long time. It was still very fun. The only gripe i have is with the last man standing feature. If you have one painkiller left and your damage meter(no regen) fills up, you can go into slow mo and if you shoot him and kill him before you hit the ground, you can get up. Sometimes the camera would stuff up a little bit, and this got frustrating in some sections where i had to do it over and over and over and over again. This does not stop it from reaching a 10 though. A triumph for rockstar. Expand
  96. May 29, 2012
    Max returns in this over the top action shooter. The combat is what stands out and makes this game so good. With a variety of weapons and animations to go with them, the game does not let down the the action. Intense cinamatics help drive the combat and story with gripping shot outs in a varity of environments. With a gripping story and above average graphics, this game delivers. TheMax returns in this over the top action shooter. The combat is what stands out and makes this game so good. With a variety of weapons and animations to go with them, the game does not let down the the action. Intense cinamatics help drive the combat and story with gripping shot outs in a varity of environments. With a gripping story and above average graphics, this game delivers. The comic style however has been replaced with what can only be called a rip off of Kane and Lynch. With that said, this game tosses in multilayer for the first time in the series, and delivers. Simaler to Uncharted's, it doesn't lack in the fun. Over all this game is a must have. Solid A. Expand
  97. May 29, 2012
    A great game - but it's not Max Payne. Max wore a suit - he was dapper in all circumstances. With a different set of immediate circumstances he could have been James Bond.
    He was cynical but not brutish, hurt but not vulgar. That isn't the Max Payne you get here. Some of the one liners are close - but still too much like "Arnie" and not enough like Oscar Wilde. As for his apprearance - well he's an entirely different man "beard or no beard". Other than being male and having dark hair there is no real physical similarity.
    This is a Rockstar game with bullet time - and a very VERY good game. Scripted (like MP was of course) and with some very familiar gameplay elements. But I just guess I miss the old Max. 9/10 though, get it anyway!
  98. May 29, 2012
    I did not have high expectations for the third installment of the Max Payne franchise because I never played the other two games. I heard from various sources that proclaim that Max Payne 3 is a "must buy" game. After 5 days of game play, I have come to a conclusion that Max Payne 3 is an outstanding game. I believe playing the first two games before playing the third installment will notI did not have high expectations for the third installment of the Max Payne franchise because I never played the other two games. I heard from various sources that proclaim that Max Payne 3 is a "must buy" game. After 5 days of game play, I have come to a conclusion that Max Payne 3 is an outstanding game. I believe playing the first two games before playing the third installment will not be necessary since it is an entirely new story. Max Payne is an ex cop that wants to get over the events from the past, but that all changes when gunfire and conflicts arise in Max Payne's new home. This game allows players to view the narration from Max himself about what he thinks, how he feels, and what he does. In my opinion, that is one of the strong points in this game because you rarely see this video games. The game play is outstanding where the player will be able to allow Max to dive, slow down time, and be able to choose many weapons to fight off against the bad guys. The story line is pretty long and it takes time to get use to the controls on playing Max Payne. I personally give this game a 9/10. Expand
  99. May 27, 2012
    This game is just an amazing third person shooter that has an awesome cinematic campaign with cool cutscenes and some decent multiplayer and arcade modes that will keep you coming back.
  100. May 27, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is not a bad game. It is a very cool game much like Reservoir Dogs is a very cool movie. My frustration with this game is the very cool movie never changes. From one scene to the next, all very cool, and the narration Max provides keeps the player much in the mind and character of Max, but it is shoot your way through a nightclub, shoot your way through a marina, shoot your wayMax Payne 3 is not a bad game. It is a very cool game much like Reservoir Dogs is a very cool movie. My frustration with this game is the very cool movie never changes. From one scene to the next, all very cool, and the narration Max provides keeps the player much in the mind and character of Max, but it is shoot your way through a nightclub, shoot your way through a marina, shoot your way through a market.
    People expect too much from the Rockstar studio. I do. They have that back catalogue that reeks of brilliance. I remember being dumbstruck by hitting a garbage can in a car I drove in GTA4. The bin went to topple, then steadied, then loosened again enough to hit the sidewalk. This sort of dynamic was beyond the RAGE engine.
    So, is it fair to to compare MP3 to other titles from the studio stable? If they produce it and release it, sure.
    To return to poor old Max, I felt almost guilty for pushing his broken ass further into the hooded desperation of San Paulo. He clearly wished to stay at a bar and will remind you at every opportunity. And unfortunately, whatever the next mission is, it will be as similar as the last and similar as the next. The graphics are awesomely good, and the game economy of ammo/ painkiller health restorations/ pickups are very well metered, but deviate from Max starts here- shoots his way to there- cutscene- repeat- it doesn't happen. And Rockstar games are, if it's going to happen, they'll do it.
    I'm giving it 6, all for the artists, the director a zero.

1. Jul 9, 2012
    An engaging story, extremely satisfying shoot-outs phenomenal graphics turn Max Payne 3 undoubtedly into one of the best shooters of 2012. It's a shame that Rockstar doesn't seem to know where to place their checkpoints.
  2. Jun 29, 2012
    Max Payne 3 brings back the depressed and trigger-happy former cop, in a new and surprisingly entertaining chapter of his life. Rockstar has brought the story to São Paulo, equipped Max with a few new tricks and made everything look a bit more polished and updated. The addition of a well-rounded multiplayer proves to be a stroke of genious that adds loads of extra hours of fun gameplay.
  3. Jun 22, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is an excellent farewell, but ultimately it's not as relevant as it was in the past. It has nothing to teach to the "new" shooters.