Max Payne 3 PlayStation 3

7.8

1. Jun 9, 2016
    Best max payne title yet. One of the best action games of all time. Max payne 3 is a masterpiece. Must buy. Rockstar is probably the best game developer studio
  2. May 30, 2016
    an amazing shooter it has everything you want for realistic gunplay and it feels very responsive. Its so much fun with over the top action that is visually impressive with good graphics for explosions and overall really. the story is also good and max payne is also very interesting character asking himself questions and bringing himself down. The multiplayer is also very fun as it feelsan amazing shooter it has everything you want for realistic gunplay and it feels very responsive. Its so much fun with over the top action that is visually impressive with good graphics for explosions and overall really. the story is also good and max payne is also very interesting character asking himself questions and bringing himself down. The multiplayer is also very fun as it feels like the story game but harder enemies the only thing would of been more and better maps. The only complaint was that the movement feels clunky and its boring when you have to run about for a bit but thats no enough to make it lose a point Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2016
    Max Payne 3 has all the qualities you'd come to expect from a Rockstar game by now. It has awesome graphics, very fluid combat mechanics. Running, snapping to cover all look and feel very natural. Guns feel real and shots feel impact-ful. But is this game a 10/10 like everyone is saying here? NO! And here are my reasons.

1. Unlikable main character. In MP3 you are forced to play as this

1. Unlikable main character. In MP3 you are forced to play as this alcoholic old man that complains so much about his life. He talks too much and has to self narrate everything he does. Lonely old man that rants too much and complains and complains... hmm....
    2. Not openworld. Story campaign is ultra linear and everything is scripted. The game is holding your hand all the way.
    3. Same thing from start to finish. It's so repetitive. Cutscene, run to cover and shoot, and again cutscene over and over with the occasional turret gun control. Omg boringg..... It's so tedious that I gave up after an hour into the story.... It's just not fun.
    4. Side characters are stereotypical, uninteresting, unfunny, unoriginal..... you just don't give a d@mn about them.

Online mode is not as bad. Again, no freeroam. But you get the standard Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag that sort of thing. Can be fun at times I suppose.

Overall, not a terrible game. If you really want to play this, play it online (but I think everyone has moved on to other games by now). Otherwise, don't bother. It's mediocre at best.
  4. Feb 16, 2016
    Two words to sum this game up: Overhyped garbage. Max Payne has become a low life drunk piece of sh*** who can't even save himself for the best of him. He's old, tired and lame. He's not the Max Payne you came to know in the previous entries. He's more on par with the Duke Nukem of the reboot franchise than anything else.
  5. Nov 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is no perfect game, but wow Rockstar have come close to making one. I created my account just to review this game, thats how much i love it. graphics/story 10+ story, enthralling and constantly surprising

sound/music 11 i know its impossible but the sounds & voice work is just that good.

gameplay 9 the gameplay is fantastic, its leaps and bounds above GTA IV which is a massive achievement. length wise i haven't finished yet but this is the only place i could take points away, vie heard its not an awfully long campaign. but if it needed to be sacrificed to focus on all the other amazing inclusions im happy with that, its also got great replay-ability

multiplayer
    fun and entertaining in that they've created reasons and rewards for gameplay. COD levelling system helps too. Much better than the GTA IV multiplayer mode.

Overall fantastic and can't complain with anything about the game. for the small price your getting a great story, an immersive interactive fluid story that keeps you on your toes.
  6. Oct 27, 2015
    The game is not for everyone. While high on cinematics and less on gameplay mechanics Max Payne 3 disappoints old school players. Shoot outs are great and Voice acting is top notch but the old familiar feeling is gone.
  7. Sep 1, 2015
    İt's moving like a movie,the pyhsics are really great in this game.İt's really hard and good.But i think that Bioshock İnfinite is lot better.İt is my advice.But you might buy this game and slo-mo is AWESOME!!!
  8. May 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game I can say without exaggeration is a MUST OWN! It's story is interesting and never dull. The graphics are beautiful even for today's standards. The gameplay is fun, never boring. Even when it's just shootout after shootout, it is never boring. The story is dark and depressing, like Max Payne should be. Throughout the entire story, you can hear Max narrating every thought in his head, which really gives you a chance to see the story through his eyes. Just so you know, this is a very challenging game, even on easy. It's not impossible, just be ready to die a lot. No matter who you are, start on easy. For parents who are worried about this game, you should know that there is one scene with topless women, and a lot of bad language including, F, MF, C, GD, SOB, D, S. Just be ready to mute and skip stuff. In this climactic story, you never know what will happen. Plot twist after plot twist, and you will never guess who the man behind it all is. This is a game that you will play again, and again, and again, and again, and again. It also has pretty decent length to it as well. BUY IT!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Expand
  9. May 15, 2015
  10. May 11, 2015
    Graphics: 8.5 Sound: 8.8 Gameplay: 8.0 Fun/Story: 8.0

Solid and consistent game. Not perfect but a truly shooter, despite some repetitiveness. Loved the graphic filters.
  11. May 4, 2015
    I realise this has got 3 years on it now but, i went back to play it as there is nothing on the ps4 i havent played worth playing atm. It was a great follow on to the older games anyone that says any different is a butt munch. Some were saying o theres to much shooting haha in a max payne game no less, thats pretty well what you signed on for when you started playing. Others saying itsI realise this has got 3 years on it now but, i went back to play it as there is nothing on the ps4 i havent played worth playing atm. It was a great follow on to the older games anyone that says any different is a butt munch. Some were saying o theres to much shooting haha in a max payne game no less, thats pretty well what you signed on for when you started playing. Others saying its just not like max payne sure hes older and isn't a cop anymore apart from that hes the same guy maybe these people just were looking for the same game to play again who knows. As for it being like a movie well there are a few cinematics but it just adds to the story really. A great older game. Expand
  12. Apr 10, 2015
    Max Payne 3 is a divisive game. For many fans of the franchise, the game seems to have lost the hard-boiled charm which previous developer Remedy so heavily drenched the originals in. Gone is the gritty yet occasionally cheesy voice-acting. Gone is the melodrama and cliche flowing black trenchcoats. In their stead, Rockstar has replaced the cliche dialogue with gritty so-bad-it's-goodMax Payne 3 is a divisive game. For many fans of the franchise, the game seems to have lost the hard-boiled charm which previous developer Remedy so heavily drenched the originals in. Gone is the gritty yet occasionally cheesy voice-acting. Gone is the melodrama and cliche flowing black trenchcoats. In their stead, Rockstar has replaced the cliche dialogue with gritty so-bad-it's-good dialogue (with significantly better voice-actors), and a "Man on Fire" aesthetic and setting. To me, this departure is welcome. Yet, I understand the nostalgia driving so much of the vitriol toward this game.

Gameplay-wise, Max Payne 3 is excellent. Rockstar keeps their excellent targeting reticule from RDR allowing for pin-point accuracy. The simplicity of the small dot doesn't hide characters or obfuscate the system; it's clean and simple. Shoot-dodging and going into bullet time are easy to get a handle on and feel excellent. Overall, Max Payne 3 is a great-feeling game.

Story-wise, the game builds slowly, adhering rigidly to noir film conventions. It bubbles up like a stew steadily until it is bursting with intrigue and then stumbles for a moment before closing strong with one of my favorite endings to a videogame ever. In conclusion, Max Payne 3 is extraordinarily strong from a narrative standpoint, despite one or two minor foibles.

In the end I give Max Payne 3 a 4.5/5 stars; a truly stellar experience that should not be missed by fans of the genre.
  13. Mar 26, 2015
    Firstly, I recommend that you change the controls to type 4 and that invert L1/L2 and R1/R2 so that R1 is for firing.
    This way you will have the same controls as in most games like COD.
    I played at medium difficulty with partial aim assist. Both are default, I suggest you keep these settings. I really appreciated the story, the voice acting as well as the gameplay. I liked the
    This way you will have the same controls as in most games like COD.

I really appreciated the story, the voice acting as well as the gameplay.
    I liked the attitude and the cynicism of Max Payne.
    It's the first time I play a Max Payne title.
    I was not expecting much from this game but I have been really pleased and it's in my top 10 PS3 game for sure !
    I expected an open world like most Rockstar Games but I preferred the way they did it : more action, less stroll.
  14. Feb 22, 2015
    Max is back in the best performance of Rockstar. Max Payne 3 affected me, really. A look at the life of Max, atmosphere - all this affected me. The plot is great, the gameplay is made at the highest level, the music perfectly fit for the story of Max. As always, a masterpiece of Rockstar.
  15. Jan 28, 2015
    The story is weak, I wasnt too much interested what is going on. Except little at the end. Action is still okey. Some locations are boring some are pretty nice. This is the weakest part of the serie so far.
  16. Oct 23, 2014
    A really nice game, with the best combat system ever. The game has a nice story, characters, graphics and is a lot of fun to play. The only thing I didn't like is the multiplayer. Note that the game also has a few minor bugs, and long loading times.
  17. Sep 21, 2014
    Huge disappointment. I loved previous 2 games in the series, the original Max Payne was one of my favourite 3rd person shooters with amazing neo-noir mood, very innovative bullet time mechanic and top-notch visuals for it's time and the second game was holding the candle proudly. Max Payne 3 is developed by completely different team, so I was curious and my hopes were high, because IHuge disappointment. I loved previous 2 games in the series, the original Max Payne was one of my favourite 3rd person shooters with amazing neo-noir mood, very innovative bullet time mechanic and top-notch visuals for it's time and the second game was holding the candle proudly. Max Payne 3 is developed by completely different team, so I was curious and my hopes were high, because I recently played L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption from Rockstar, both extremely good, not so far from Max Payne themes, so I believed they can pull this off, unfortunately, something went wrong. Some of the really bad game design decisions and the overall wrong game direction went to hell. Gone is the mood, the atmosphere and the fun gameplay. This is basically a non-stop generic shooter somewhere in south america. All you do here is shooting hundreds, thousands, armies of enemies with no end. Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, go to the next room, another 10, shoot, shoot, shoot, cutscene, go to another room, shoot, shooot, shoot, cutscene, change of the location and... shoot, shoot, shoot and it's all over again, this is all you do the entire game and by the second half it's starting to get extremely annoying. There is a good effort in the story, not a script of the year, but they tried, music is very good, there is still Max Payne, pretty believable and good voice acting, but it's just a shadow of his former glory. This could have been much more, it's a pity, because I know Rockstar can do better, both, L.A. Noire and RDR were so much more interesting, with many things to do, but this is unfortunately soon turned into an extensive tedious shooting fest, nothing more. I was positive at the start, but that was going down and by the end I was so annoyed by all that repetitive shooting that I suffered to finish it to see the end of the story and I was glad that it's over, that's never a good sign. 4/10 Expand
  18. Sep 20, 2014
    MP3 delivers great shootouts, probably the best I have ever played. The story is good and the setting is new and fresh. The game fells also like a AAA Action movie blockbuster, with the cutscenes and the bullet time events put in.
    However its to linear and beside shooting you are not doing much. I know its a shooter but every 2 steps you make you have to take 15 guys out. Thats to much.
    Still enjoyed it.
  19. Sep 6, 2014
    This game was real revelation for me. I did not hear much about it and I just tried it. It got me. Max is a funny guy and Bullet Time is perfect game mechanism.
  20. Jul 29, 2014
    Esse jogo é péssimo. Ele se resume a 3 coisas. Andar pra frente, atirar em um grupo de inimigos e assistir cutscenes
    Não há liberdade alguma, mapas completamente lineares, sem variedade de objetivos/missões, sem variedade de inimigos, não há nada para se explorar o jogo, nem quebra-cabeças, nem passagens secretas nada!
    Extremamente repetitivo, 2 minutos de tiroteio seguidos de 5 minutos
    Extremamente repetitivo, 2 minutos de tiroteio seguidos de 5 minutos de cutscenes até o fim do jogo.
    Isso não significa que ele seja fácil, ele tem muitos níveis de dificuldades podendo ficar bem difícil. Mas ele é repetitivo e tedioso de mais.
    Os únicos pontos positivos seriam a história, os gráficos... Mas se for para comprar um jogo que só tem histórias e gráficos compensa mais assistir um filme ou ler um livro
  21. Jul 3, 2014
    This Game is more like a movie than a game. I buy video games to play them not watch a cut scene for 10 plus minutes. If I wanted to watch a movie that is what I would buy. This is just programers being cheap and not doing there job. It is a lot easier to make a movie with little or no interaction and use it as game filler to make it seem longer to the player. I feel very ripped off IThis Game is more like a movie than a game. I buy video games to play them not watch a cut scene for 10 plus minutes. If I wanted to watch a movie that is what I would buy. This is just programers being cheap and not doing there job. It is a lot easier to make a movie with little or no interaction and use it as game filler to make it seem longer to the player. I feel very ripped off I bought a game NOT A MOVIE!!!!!!! Expand
  22. Jun 3, 2014
    A glorified shooting gallery presented with much skill and flair. If you don't mind the type of action where you move from cover to cover while you shoot increasingly tough enemies, then Max Payne 3 delivers on that front. I had hoped for more open-ended, unpredictable action with flow between one style and another.. There are a few of those break-offs, especially a few involving vehicles,A glorified shooting gallery presented with much skill and flair. If you don't mind the type of action where you move from cover to cover while you shoot increasingly tough enemies, then Max Payne 3 delivers on that front. I had hoped for more open-ended, unpredictable action with flow between one style and another.. There are a few of those break-offs, especially a few involving vehicles, but for the large part it's nothing but shooting at guys. Even the few boss-like encounters feel like additional shooting scenes.

Then there's the story which is sufficiently playful and intelligent to be interesting. Much of it went over my head though, as new characters and groups were introduced with no emphasis on what was important to notice and what was just a quick side-note. It does work well as a making-sense of the varied locations, which I find impressive. Speaking of locations, I find those to be the most worthwhile aspect of the game, since they were presented with similar detail and style as those in GTA V, some of them spectacular locations that are not usually well represented in action games.

One big drawback is that the shootouts seem designed for auto-aim ('soft lock' works similarly to that in GTA V), a mechanic that takes away a lot of the challenge and interactivity unless you change to 'free aim', which I did. The problem is when a game is designed to be interesting with auto-aim, some scenes become unpolished and unfair for those using free aim. One bit had me replaying it not because I didn't get it, but because I was a bit unlucky every time. (Well it turned out I didn't notice the button for slowmotion-in-cover until the last chapter). The enemy AI is somewhere between chaotic-impulsive and robotic-predictable, so replaying sections felt like I got trolled every time it went wrong, without sufficient variety in AI patterns to keep each attempt fresh. Did I mention I didn't get the story? It states very clearly what happens to who, but I have no idea about why, or the deeper connections between the characters. But maybe I'm just slow-minded.

Another big drawback is that the tasks/puzzles were so simplified and obvious that they felt like instructions. All the deducing of a good puzzle reduced to "Press triangle to solve x obstacle". I mean, are people really so stupid they can't figure something out for themselves, and yet with capacity to understand a convoluted storyline? If Rockstar had the balls to require the player to infer new things through the gameplay, it would feel as intelligent and cutting-edge to play as its technology is. Instead it ends up expecting as little of the consumer as the tv-shows mocked both in this game and in recent GTAs.

Online multiplayer has a handful engaging but conservative modes. Deathmatch, Team deathmatch, and a cocktail of modes like capture-the-flag, defuse-the-bomb, last-man-standing thrown together under one point-list and one narrative and presentation changed to a 'gang war' context. It's a cocktail that provides a diverse session that doesn't get boring the first dozen times.

I've played online for many hours, leveled up half-way to maximum, unlocked a few guns. The combination of classic console action, the auto-aim and the bullet-time made for a more tactic, tense experience than the direct competition on PS3 (Uncharted online). The base game comes with six large levels quite different in mood. I preferred the office (smaller level with corridors) and the bus depot (open areas interspersed with cover and a few accessible buildings).

I would rate the campaign 6/10 (although presentation is 9/10 gameplay is still the essence of games). Online multiplayer gets 8/10 but the lack of a level editor or any custom content makes for less replay value than the core gameplay deserves.

I rated GTA V 7/10, and its shooting mechanic is lifted directly from Max Payne 3. Here, you might get a more focused, cinematic experience designed specifically for the path it takes you on. But on the other hand, it lacks the cars and the game world and the radio chatter of GTA V. I cannot say it is as compelling as GTA V. I cannot say that either of them thread much new ground, or keep me addicted to the core gameplay. Both of them are above average, but I only recommend them if you're specifically looking for the gameplay in Max Payne 3, or the game world in GTA V.
  23. Apr 19, 2014
    This is one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time. Good graphics, lots of action, but also intriguing story. Thoroughly enjoying. Best Max Payne yet!!
  24. Feb 24, 2014
    honestly, this game is really bad, the story is just plain boring, i never felt intrigued or curious about what would happen next, it was just boring and i was left having to skip through parts that dragged on forever.
    The gameplay is just max payne 1 or 2 again, nothing's changed, which isn't necesserily a bad thing, as it's quite fun, but leaves the game feeling like it should still be on ps2. about 3/4 of the way through the game is discovered that it's 10 times easier to complete just using the "worst" weapon on the game, the pistol, than to bother using anything else. the machine guns are underpowered, and the aiming system, most of the times, is alright, but anything with a lazer on it is broken.

I got this for £5 and it was just about value for money, thank god i didn't pay full price.
  25. Jan 21, 2014
    Max Payne it's quite an iconic series in video games, it always had a lot of a "unique essence to it" that no one could actually recreate, however the third installment in the series makes a lot of changes, some of them are welcomed, and some others, well... Not so much.
    The first complain that i have with the game it's that it destroys the outgoing journey for the player, you know exactly which twists, and turns is the game going to have, it never truly steps away in trying to transport the player into a journey with as many memorable characters, as it did in the past entries to the franchise. I like to think it's because Rockstar was trying to develop the game with it's own personal experience, and "vibe", however the artistic integrity in a series like this is something that has to be noted, and even admired in one way, or another.
    The pursue to realism does not only affect the thematic, and overall style of the game, it angers me to say it but it also affects the gameplay, adding up a limit for the usual arsenal that you have learn to expect from the series, it's something that it's unforgivable to me as an already fan of the series.

However the game excels at it's story telling, sharing us a much more darker twist, that does not only affect Max himself, but also the members of the Branco family (the entire thematic revolves around them).
    The game it's not telling the story about Max, but it's telling how Max reacts to the situation that the family it's experiencing, this just makes Max feel almost like his just in the game in order to fill a blank paper, that could've been filled by any angry, pessimistic, antagonist.

It just never tries to even capture the substance from Max Payne, it just tries to ask for his opinion.
    Luckily it isn't such a bad opinion after all, Max throws the occasional joke here, and there, and eventually you begin to appreciate that his presence it's there.
    The game throws a huge amount of effort in making you feel like Max Payne, it tries to make you confused at first, but interested, and intrigued to find out what iconic event it's going to happen to the Branco family, and how Max it's going to have to deal with it. Not only that but the effects, from the cutscenes (which upset a lot of people from being annoying) are specifically placed there to evoque that kind of reaction, they want you to feel dazed, and not knowing exactly what's happening in a clear way, in my opinion it's an excellent way from Rockstar to adapt and understand how this new world that surrounds Max it's affecting him, same thing happens when Rockstar decided not to translate Portuguese, to english (they did it for the same reason).

Overall the adventure, nor journey, that Max Payne 3 takes you to, it's not something forgettable by any means, but sadly it's just another empty chapter in Max's life that you could have passed and not even noticed, mostly if there's ever a follow up to what could've been, another remarkable entry, in an already incredible franchise.
  26. Jan 12, 2014
    Now, I never played any Max Payne game in the past, but this actually earned my support as a newcomer of the series! The gunfights, awesome; the graphics, impressive; the cinematics, very movie-like; the voice acting, superb; the story.... well, to be honest, it wasn´t very good, however it was at least entertaining to play through, and I cared a lot for Max Payne in this bloody quest inNow, I never played any Max Payne game in the past, but this actually earned my support as a newcomer of the series! The gunfights, awesome; the graphics, impressive; the cinematics, very movie-like; the voice acting, superb; the story.... well, to be honest, it wasn´t very good, however it was at least entertaining to play through, and I cared a lot for Max Payne in this bloody quest in Brazil. The multiplayer in this game was fun: some of the matches I took part of were very chaotic, everybody using were using bullet time to each other... like a lot of times. Overall, a damn good game. Expand
  27. Nov 21, 2013
    Max Payne 3 improves upon the previous two games in two significant ways in terms of gameplay. Certainly its a graphical improvement, being on superior hardware but that isn't what made it stand out for me. First are the levels and their layouts. No more are you exclusively subjected to mostly corridors and cramped apartment building hallways. The locations are large and diverse, not onlyMax Payne 3 improves upon the previous two games in two significant ways in terms of gameplay. Certainly its a graphical improvement, being on superior hardware but that isn't what made it stand out for me. First are the levels and their layouts. No more are you exclusively subjected to mostly corridors and cramped apartment building hallways. The locations are large and diverse, not only providing lots of area to move or take cover but also gives enemy AI options on how to swarm you. The other major improvement is the cover system. A natural addition but gone are the days of strafing around corners as the only way to avoid enemy fire.

Max Payne 3 is the best of a solid action series, creating a better gameplay experience while doing something fresh with its narrative by putting Max in new and unexpected locations and situations.
  28. Nov 2, 2013
    I was a huge fan of the first two Max Payne games. This game wasn't the overall slam dunk I had thought it would be. There are some things I absolutely loved and some I absolutely hated. First, we shall start with the positives. The environments are by far the best I have played in a game. It looks, feels real and alive. There were no shortcuts into making these environments. They are soI was a huge fan of the first two Max Payne games. This game wasn't the overall slam dunk I had thought it would be. There are some things I absolutely loved and some I absolutely hated. First, we shall start with the positives. The environments are by far the best I have played in a game. It looks, feels real and alive. There were no shortcuts into making these environments. They are so detailed that it was the first time I was stunned looking at the environments since Halo: Combat Evolved about ten years ago. Also, the writing is of course top notch. Sound fits the mood perfectly. Story is decent. Overall it is a pretty fun game. Now, the negatives. The first thing was the overall feel. It just didn't feel like Max Payne. I don't want to spoil the game, but there are a few chapters that nail the old Max Payne feel, while the rest almost get there, but it creates a feeling of a nostalgic hole of what Max Payne 3 could have been. I miss going to the secret 'underground' warehouses and run-down hotels in NY and basically flying around in bullet time spraying bullets everywhere. Next issue is the controls/gameplay. This Max Payne's bullet time is ruined with the cover system. The cover system basically makes it unnecessary to do the bullet time leaps (my favorite thing of the Max Payne games). Furthermore, controls and aiming just don't seem nearly as fluid as the previous two. While you could just keep bullet time leaping all over the place, it is impracticable when you can use the cover. Next, is the Noir storytelling of the games. This also just doesn't seem to cut it. There are not nearly as many of the storybook scenes, but instead we get an outrageous amount of (lengthy) cutscenes. This is a perfect example of how a game does not need cutscenes to be great. Lastly, The previous Max Payne's are far superior. Had this game not had the Max Payne title, it would be an easy 5 stars. I have not played the multiplayer nor do I really intend do. Expand
  29. ERB
    Nov 2, 2013
    Max Payne is back with more realistic and cool graphics and with bullet time improved.Max Payne 3 continues it's story in Brazil which he was hired as a personal body guard for a wealthy or rich family the "Branco family".Max Payne 3 has awesome actions cool bullet time and a memorable story.Now the single player campaign is good but wait till you see the multiplayer of this game becauseMax Payne is back with more realistic and cool graphics and with bullet time improved.Max Payne 3 continues it's story in Brazil which he was hired as a personal body guard for a wealthy or rich family the "Branco family".Max Payne 3 has awesome actions cool bullet time and a memorable story.Now the single player campaign is good but wait till you see the multiplayer of this game because the multiplayer is fun.You got to form crews join crews and more.Hell there is even a gang wars in this game which two gangs fight each other and find out who will be the stronger gang.And there is also this death match where everyone in the map will fight each other or kill each other and the one with the most kills is declared the winner.And also you can customize your character in multiplayer which is good.The character development in this game is good,the voice acting in this game is really good,and even the world of Max Payne 3 is beautiful.You can interact with some items here which is like in the other Max Payne games.Max Payne 3 is awesome which deserves a 10/10 from me and all of you fans or not fans of this game buy this game or download this game .It is worth your money and you will have fun in this game. Expand
  30. Oct 24, 2013
    Max Payne 3 may feel like a bit of a rampage at times when going up against an unrealistic immense amount of armed thugs, but Max Payne 3 still carries the fun and dark elements from the previous 2 games which is key while not taking itself to seriously
  31. Oct 12, 2013
    At the very beginning it took me some time to really get into the game. I didn't touch it for a week or two after playing it for the first time but when I decided to give it a good go, the good things started to come along:

The game is full of action, makes use of nice visual effects and has stunning soundtracks. The story is okay and it doesn't last too long or too short. The controls are no problem to get used to but the slow-mo and hollywood diving can be abused to the max. HOWEVER, it suits perfectly if you only use it when you have to which is the way I used it. It's a game I'd happily play again on a higher difficulty.

Along with a couple of other games, this is one of the best single player games I've played. One should not hestitate if he likes games with good storyline gameplays.
  32. Sep 27, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is a really violent game, the visuals are quite impressive, bullet time is the best thing about this game. Th first half of this game is slow and cant seem to find good pacing for the story, but during the second half is when this game really shines. This is a well thought out shooter that could have been a little better.
  33. Sep 25, 2013
    This game was ok but far from incredible. I did not like the whole being in South America for most of the game. Max should have stayed in the USA! and I did not like the story all that much.
  34. Sep 18, 2013
    I never played any of the prior Max Payne games. Normally, I gravitate toward fantasy and sci-fi games. But Max Payne 3 got great reviews and was discounted on the PSN, so I figured I'd give it a try. And I'm really glad I did. The game is a noir third-person shooter about a down-on-his-luck ex-cop. At first, the noir vibe, the constant narration by the protagonist took some getting usedI never played any of the prior Max Payne games. Normally, I gravitate toward fantasy and sci-fi games. But Max Payne 3 got great reviews and was discounted on the PSN, so I figured I'd give it a try. And I'm really glad I did. The game is a noir third-person shooter about a down-on-his-luck ex-cop. At first, the noir vibe, the constant narration by the protagonist took some getting used to. By the time the second chapter rolled around, I was totally into the swing of it. Excellent voice acting and a compelling character pulled me through the story, which wasn't bad.

Of course, this is a game, and what shines the most is the gameplay. It's got smooth cover mechanics and, once I got the hang of them, good shooting controls. Plus several options to enter bullet time and feel like a total badass. It was fun, well paced, and just about the right length.

I recommend Max Payne to anyone that likes 3rd person shooters.
  35. Aug 30, 2013
    In a market riddled with bullet time infested shooters, Max Payne 3 shows how to do it properly. The gunplay is very solid, though not without flaws. I must say that being pulled away from my character every 4 seconds to get a close up slow motion view of the poor fellow who I just gave a 9mm lobotomy is quite annoying, as was the feeling that bullet time was something you just used toIn a market riddled with bullet time infested shooters, Max Payne 3 shows how to do it properly. The gunplay is very solid, though not without flaws. I must say that being pulled away from my character every 4 seconds to get a close up slow motion view of the poor fellow who I just gave a 9mm lobotomy is quite annoying, as was the feeling that bullet time was something you just used to quickly adjust your aim. The storyline of the game, while for some maybe a tad too cinematic and dramatic, is true to the franchise.

The game also features quite a good soundtrack, and they did save the best for last as the final mission of the game features a very tension inducing track to complement your fight. The multiplayer portion of the game was surprisingly well done, though granted nothing that different from the pack it did stand to reason that many of the mechanics they have do give you a reason to try it.

Overall, a satisfying game that I do recommend playing.
  36. Aug 18, 2013
    Max Payne 3 I don't know where to start... The game is Excellent!
    Presentation:
    Max Payne 3 I don't know where to start... The game is Excellent!
    Presentation:
    The game starts of with Max working as a body- guard for the Branco Family in Sao Paulo- Brazil with a new friend Raul Passos. During the game there are flashback missions which show how Max meets up with Raul. The story is fantastic with many plot- twists and memorable moments. Graphics are excellent and voice acting is top notch.

Gameplay:
    When the shooting starts you will find out why Max is such a bad-ass. The 'Bullet Time' and 'Shoot Dodge' mechanic from Max Payne 1 and 2 is back and heavily improved thanks to the R* Euphoria technology. Diving around and shooting accurately feels so good and when you kill the final enemy in the area, there is a kick-ass kill cam which looks and feels painfully satisfying. There are also pretty cool set pieces in the game such as shooting enemies from a moving boat with an LMG. There are a few game bugs here and there but aren't game breaking and the game can get a bit repetitive over time. Also the game sometimes throws a ridiculous amount of enemies at you which can be very frustrating.There is also a fantastic multiplayer mode with different game types and is very fun.

Verdict: The game is a must buy if you are or aren't a Max Payne fan because it is just fantastic. The campaign is about 10 hours long and the multiplayer is simply awesome. You do not need to play the previous Max Payne games to understand the story of Max Payne 3.
  37. Aug 7, 2013
    Great adventure and a very immersive storyline. I'm Portuguese so the language factor was a big thumbs up. Bullet time is amazing. The multiplayer is also very good. A masterpiece!!
  38. Jul 25, 2013
    Do not buy, you will be angry. Honestly! I was screaming at my TV like an idiot. So if you are like me who gets easily frusturated, don't buy.

I've played all GTA's (literally all of them), Red Dead Redemption. Enjoyed all of these RockStar games, except some of Gay Tony missions, due to frustrating Helicopter scenes(which this game reminds me of). I've played Max Payne 1. I never liked it that much due to grim athmosphere and always feeling alone, but I enjoy all the slow motion. This is one way less dark in nature. it's all sunny in this one. That would be a negative for some, but I really don't care. Reason why I bought this is all of the high reviews in magazines.

I really don't care about story line. It's kind of weak in my opinion. But come on, you just shoot dudes up. Yes Max Payne is a grumpy old dude that has a remark about everything, some might like it I didn't. That is still OK. I personally think graphics are pretty good and this game has very good sound. I don't get the whole flickering off the screen. I'm fien with that.

MY biggest problem is the GAMEPLAY!!!! They F*ed it up pretty BAD. Yes there are cool moments when I blow dudes up in slow motion and doing some movie like bad assery, but there are some parts that are super frustrating. By the Law of Life, one F*ed thing just blurs one hundred things that were done out of the way. And this one has too many for me too concentrate on the good. Let me list why I'm unhappy with this game:

CUTSCENES: Can't skip most of them(super annoying if you trying to get golden weapon by coming back). It always keep changing my weapon. If you don't like too many cutscenes don't buy this game.

CROSS-HAIR: I remember few times I had really hard problem seeing the crosshair. I know you can change them in settings but that doesn't help much. It would be nice if they let me choose the color or customize them( as in Unreal 2004).

ENEMIES: These guys have some of the fastest reflexes in video game I've seen in the while for Normal setting. This game would be unplayable if it wasn't for adrenaline slow mo action. It get annoying. They can also see through bushes, smokes and debris.

MAX SHOOTING AT THE SEALING FOR NO REASON: Sometimes I would find myself wasting rounds by shooting up at the ceiling.I don't know if they did that on purpose, but it would be nice if he just didn't shoot if the weapon didn't align with cross hair.

LASERS & FLASHLIGHT: I couldn't figure out how to turn either one of them off. Shooting with laser is not fun, it is actually frustrating. This is not how laser sight works, it's a dot not the whole line that you cant even see where it stops and aims too.

PAINKILLERS: I understand this is Max Payne's little trade mark, but health system is outdated. Some might like it this way, but I personally disagree with it.

BEING AUTO AMMO DURING LAST CHANCE: When your health is low and Max has painkiller and you get shot the game goes into this mode where you have to shoot the guy who is little bit brighter then other guy kill them and end up lying on the floor. Well if you are out of ammo it would just making clicking sound and you have to stare at the slow mo screen for like 5 seconds before dying, and you can't switch weapons! That' is a waste of time. How about you make it so if I'm out of ammo I just die. Click...die.. or even better when that whole thing happens he just switches to a side arm with full mag(even if it was empty, it a video game). Man seriously I should be designing them video games.

DIFFICULTY: I'm going to admit it. I hate replaying same thing over and over again. It happened few times in this game. I play a lot of video games, and I died in this game quite a few times. Most of dying and learning here is just memorizing the pattern where guys will come from. Normal should've been little bit easier. I'm too stubborn to switch to easy, it makes me feel like a B****. Guess what I switched to EASY in the last two chapters.. Rockstar you won, thanks for making me feel like a B*

Next part of review is SPOILER SECTION:

THAT F*$#ing LEVEL WITH THE APC SHOOTING AT YOU WITH MACHINEGUN AND YOU HAVE TO GRAB ROCKET LAUNCHER IS REASON WHY I'M GIVING THIS GAME SUCH A LOW SCORE. WHAT THE FREAKING HECK WERE THEY THINKIN? It took me like 10 tries to figure out how to grab that stupid rocket launcher in front of the barrier. I DROPPED MY CONTROLLER AND HAD TO WAIT A DAY CAUSE I WAS SO FREAKING ANGRY!!!! Next day I tried again and after dying like 12 times I saw another rocket launcher on the left side(could've been fixing by better lighting the leveL so players can see that asset) then them bad guys come out. I aim at them with the rocket and guess what? MAX IDIOT PAYNE shoots into the concrete barrier AND BLOWS HIMSELF UP!!! I was so freaking angry. I had to go and punch a pillow for 5 minutes away from my HDTV that i was about to break, because I was about to break it! SCREW THIS GAME. DON'T BUY!!!! THANK YOU.
  39. Jul 12, 2013
    Before I start reviewing the game I should point out that I haven't played any of the other Max Payne's so I can't compare but what I can say about this game is that it is great but not without flaws. Firstly the shooting mechanic, namely the dot reticule took me a couple of levels to get used to, I am just more used to a crosshair but when I got used to the dot reticule in this game laserBefore I start reviewing the game I should point out that I haven't played any of the other Max Payne's so I can't compare but what I can say about this game is that it is great but not without flaws. Firstly the shooting mechanic, namely the dot reticule took me a couple of levels to get used to, I am just more used to a crosshair but when I got used to the dot reticule in this game laser sights were added which I actually found they made me less accurate since your reticule disappears completely and you have to rely on where the laser hits the enemy which is hard at a long distance. Also shootdodge I found to be more cumbersome than useful. Leaping into the air action movie style looks cool but more often than not it got me killed since its usually wiser to just stay in cover. Bullettime on the other hand is very useful and is pretty much a must to complete some sections of the game. Another flaw though is that the story starts off slowly and is pretty boring for the first hour or two b ut perseverence will eventually pay off and after the slow start I really got interested in Max and grew to actually enjoy the cutscenes which I started off hating and warmed to Max's sarcastic sense of humour and running commentary. Another thing I loved was the action set-piece moments which often see max leaping into the air and surviving impossible odds against enemies. The graphics aren't too bad either and there is replayability due to new difficulties and some arcade challenge levels. This game is actually really good as it turns out as long as you can persevere for the first couple of hours. Expand
  40. Jun 27, 2013
    Welcome back, Max Payne, you're even better than I remembered. I love the grit and edge to this game. I hope they continue on with the character and make more Max Payne games.
  41. Jun 26, 2013
    Great story, great graphics, but more of an interactive series of unskippable cut scenes than a great gaming experience. The game does a great job at recreating a gritty foreign vibe. Max is also as surprisingly, self loathingly charismatic as ever. The sense impact of each weapon and the damage translated is amazing. Seeing each pellet from a Shotgun buck can be pretty dramatic (in a coolGreat story, great graphics, but more of an interactive series of unskippable cut scenes than a great gaming experience. The game does a great job at recreating a gritty foreign vibe. Max is also as surprisingly, self loathingly charismatic as ever. The sense impact of each weapon and the damage translated is amazing. Seeing each pellet from a Shotgun buck can be pretty dramatic (in a cool way). The controls were decent although at times Max felt more like a pistol toting tank than an aging action hero. If you want the real Max Payne vibe, play 1&2. Expand
  42. Jun 25, 2013
    Max payne 3 is like a scripted game just like you're watching a movie The good part is that the graphics are crisp and detailed and the story is spectacular But all of this fails to impress when the controls is taken away from You quite often Sometimes the cutscenes are quite long but it is eventually better than those long loading scenes The multiplayer is good and will make you comeMax payne 3 is like a scripted game just like you're watching a movie The good part is that the graphics are crisp and detailed and the story is spectacular But all of this fails to impress when the controls is taken away from You quite often Sometimes the cutscenes are quite long but it is eventually better than those long loading scenes The multiplayer is good and will make you come back for more Overall the games is good Expand
  43. Jun 2, 2013
    Cool game. Nice story and with nice story telling. I liked Max Payne character. He's kinda funny even when he's totally screwed :).
    I hated all controller types But this my preference. It took me too much time to get used to it.
    Another thing, Trophies are so hard to get. And it's just stupid to ask me to play the game at least 3 or 4 times to get a platinum trophy. And yes trophies are part of my review to any games. It's the only rewarding system to your profile.
    Still being hard to get most of the trophies makes your proud of them But most of them are hard and bronze
  44. May 31, 2013
    Max Payne is a trigger happy American in São Paulo. Max Payne 3 does not have an open world element to it and that's why Max Payne 3 did not live up to my expectations. The campaign is not something i would play over and over again, i would not even play it again to find the collectibles! but i enjoyed the story and loved the diving and bullet cam mechanics in this game. R* did a fantasticMax Payne is a trigger happy American in São Paulo. Max Payne 3 does not have an open world element to it and that's why Max Payne 3 did not live up to my expectations. The campaign is not something i would play over and over again, i would not even play it again to find the collectibles! but i enjoyed the story and loved the diving and bullet cam mechanics in this game. R* did a fantastic job with this game and deserve an award for the efforts. Expand
  45. May 13, 2013
    It's an awesome game, no doubts about it. The epic slow motion dives and the story are really what defines this kind of genre. My only problem is the cutscene-shoot-cutscene-shoot scheme.
  46. May 5, 2013
    This was one of my GOTY contenders last year. It is just one of the most interesting and fun games i have ever played. I played this game straight through from beginning to end only stopping a few times. Just a beautiful piece of work. Max Payne is one of my favorite heros.
  47. Apr 12, 2013
    shame. first and last max payne game. I love rockstar games gta rdr are two of my favorite games. Even L.A Noire was legit. But there was something missing in this game, whether that be in the gameplay or story; because I played a an hour or so and had no drive to finish this game. The combat was so generic there was nothing new, felt like I was playing a gta shooter game without the openshame. first and last max payne game. I love rockstar games gta rdr are two of my favorite games. Even L.A Noire was legit. But there was something missing in this game, whether that be in the gameplay or story; because I played a an hour or so and had no drive to finish this game. The combat was so generic there was nothing new, felt like I was playing a gta shooter game without the open world sandbox type, and the slow motion thing was just stupid and the game's claim to fame apparently. game was overhyped; but clearly the graphics were the best part of the game; shame, it had potential. Expand
  48. Mar 29, 2013
    Faithful to the original story line. Fantastic game to say the least. Racked up tons of hours and a ridiculous body count with this game. Outstanding scenery and level building make this game severely intense.
  49. Mar 25, 2013
    Max Payne has never looked better (and older.) I enjoyed the game while playing it. However I'll start with the faults. It doesn't have the same noir feeling like the old ones. The classic comics for cut scenes has been replaced with plain old cut scenes (which most you can't skip.) Bullet Time and shoot dodging works the same, but it lacks the ability to regain bullet time while in bulletMax Payne has never looked better (and older.) I enjoyed the game while playing it. However I'll start with the faults. It doesn't have the same noir feeling like the old ones. The classic comics for cut scenes has been replaced with plain old cut scenes (which most you can't skip.) Bullet Time and shoot dodging works the same, but it lacks the ability to regain bullet time while in bullet time. Max can no longer regenerate health. Painkillers seem a little more uncommon. Max's character is still pretty much the same, but he seems to complain a lot. The game also doesn't have grenades like its predecessors. Which is not really a problem, but the scream enemies made in Max Payne 1 when you threw one at them was hilarious. (Grenades are in the multiplayer though.) The cover system introduced was very well made, but you can't turn corners. I died this way many times because of it. The game seems to encourage you to stay in cover rather than go out in bullet time and shoot dodging like in the old games. It pretty much turns the game into your standard third-person shooter like Uncharted or Gears of War. The story is really well written and still has that sad feeling for Max. No recurring characters are in Max Payne 3, instead appearing as models for multiplayer. No story elements from the old games are here too. But these are understandable since all the recurring characters are pretty much dead. The story is a little weird since Max has no reason to go to Brazil. I mean I don't no why the would write Max into that situation. The multiplayer is something else. I have not played it a lot so I'm not going to go in depth with it. It is pretty ok, but I had a lot of frustration with it. I do like how Max kind of narrates what happens. Overall Max Payne 3 is enjoyable, but Max Payne Vets will find this a little unfamiliar. I must admit though. I had so much anger with this game during the soccer stadium level. Expand
  50. Mar 14, 2013
    Max Payne 3 made a great comeback for the franchise and Max Payne comes back as hard as ever. One thing you will notice straight away is the superb graphic and the extreme details in the graphic. Max Payne 3 have of the BEST graphic I’ve seen with a TPS game. Max Payne 3 is a very cinematic game. And all the loading screens are replaced by cutscenes so you wouldn't be bored staring at aMax Payne 3 made a great comeback for the franchise and Max Payne comes back as hard as ever. One thing you will notice straight away is the superb graphic and the extreme details in the graphic. Max Payne 3 have of the BEST graphic I’ve seen with a TPS game. Max Payne 3 is a very cinematic game. And all the loading screens are replaced by cutscenes so you wouldn't be bored staring at a boring loading screen screen. The story is catchy and the single player campaign is tense and fun. Max Payne 3 also have one of the BEST dual wield mechanic and shooting mechanic for a TPS game. The AIs in MP3 are also one of the most realistic AIs I've seen in a game. The AIs are capable of gettin headshot of the player especially the elite soldier/cops. The AIs with shotguns can also get a one shot-kill of the player if the player gets too close. And don't forget the funs and grippy multiplayer complete with the bullet time mechanic and shoot dodge mechanic.There are the usual game modes such as death match team death match but one of the main game mode is the gang war which is a combination of different game modes including grabbing the bag, capturing the turf, one team tries to defend a turf while the other tries to capture the turf and when the turf is captured the capture team will move on to capture the next turf etc. There are also many different interesting and fun game modes in the gang war mode. This game mode really supports teamwork. Overall the Max Payne 3 is SUPERB game. The single player have a grippy and fun campaign. And the multiplayer is tense and very interesting. Max Payne 3 is a game shooter fans should NOT miss!!! Expand
  51. Mar 11, 2013
    Where do I begin? This game, man. Its just terrific! I've followed Max's journey since Max Payne 1 back in the Remedy days. Rockstar has done almost everything perfect with this game. The story is really, really good. The action never fails, but the one thing or two things I'm kind of bugged about is the cutscenes that cant be skipped. First time, of course you watch all the cutscenes andWhere do I begin? This game, man. Its just terrific! I've followed Max's journey since Max Payne 1 back in the Remedy days. Rockstar has done almost everything perfect with this game. The story is really, really good. The action never fails, but the one thing or two things I'm kind of bugged about is the cutscenes that cant be skipped. First time, of course you watch all the cutscenes and dont mind it the first time around. But when you want to play it on a higher difficulty or find another gold part you have to watch the long cutscenes again, which is kind of annoying since you just want to get through it.

The multiplayer is just f*cking great! I love it, I've spent alot of hours online playing team deathmatches which is in my opinion the best gamemode online.
  52. Mar 5, 2013
    I was not expecting this, the last few years have made me exceptionally picky about shooters; you get tons of them and they hardly ever have anything worthwile to diferenciate them from the bunch. Played the first Max Payne and loved it, but after nearly ten years and dozens of shooters along the way I was hoping for another corridor shooter with no soul.......... boy was I wrong. Max isI was not expecting this, the last few years have made me exceptionally picky about shooters; you get tons of them and they hardly ever have anything worthwile to diferenciate them from the bunch. Played the first Max Payne and loved it, but after nearly ten years and dozens of shooters along the way I was hoping for another corridor shooter with no soul.......... boy was I wrong. Max is as charming as I remember him, he's now middle aged and little more than a sewer rat, but he has this Bruce Willish air to him and hearing his gritty narration and wisecracks is a highlight in the game. Graphics are top notch, enemy AI is pretty decent, Rockstar shows again that no one does bullet time as well as they do, and the atmosphere is also incredible. Solid 8 for this one. Expand
  53. Feb 24, 2013
    Max Payne 3 it´s one of the best games of 2012, but still it has some problems.
    Pros and Cons:
    Pros: Nice story by Dan Houser, Envolving Score by Health, addictive gameplay, awesome slow-mo effects (Thank you, Euphoria engine) cool graphics and dual wielding! (That´s actually pretty fun BTW) Cons: It has SO MANY CUTSCENES. It ´s like every time you open a door SURPRISE! Cutscene.
    Max Payne 3 it´s one of the best games of 2012, but still it has some problems.
    Pros and Cons:

Cons: It has SO MANY CUTSCENES. It ´s like every time you open a door SURPRISE! Cutscene. Repetitive gameplay (cover, shoot, cover, shoot, SLOW-MO BIATCH! open door, cutscene)

Even though, it´s a pretty nice game, and it´s not as difficult as some reviewers here say, maybe they say that because they tried to beat the whole game using bullet time and shootdodge. Tip: DON´T TRY TO THAT OR THE GAME WILL BE AS DIFFICULT AS F**K!
    Oh, an aiming, is perfectly done! I don´t know whyy people complain about it! You can choose the easy but boring Hard Lock, the not as easy but quite satisfying Soft Lock and OFF, which is pretty hard but gives you total freedom to aim.

(Sorry for my english)
  54. Feb 22, 2013
    Big fan of max payne 1 and 2... but what the heck, the new cover system of max payne 3 ruins the whole game.
    Every shootout is boring as hell and repetitive, enter area, cover shoot cover shoot-- repeat till end of the game.
    You rarely can use properly the slow mo actions, cause you wil get raped by the enemies ! The game is just plain boring and repetive.... the great graphics and

The game is just plain boring and repetive.... the great graphics and sound cant save it .

Multiplayer is quite good, but there are many better shooters to play online.
  55. Feb 21, 2013
    Boring game. Overrated. Doesn't do anything new. Narrative is lame.
  56. Dec 28, 2012
    I can not begin to even explain how much I hate this game. Considering how much I hated being a fat, unemployed European immigrant in Grand Theft Auto 4 I thought perhaps Rockstar was beginning to lose their skill. The shooting mechanics in my opinion are incredibly poorly implemented in conjunction with the cover system. Bad guys abound and all you have is your gun, your balls and aI can not begin to even explain how much I hate this game. Considering how much I hated being a fat, unemployed European immigrant in Grand Theft Auto 4 I thought perhaps Rockstar was beginning to lose their skill. The shooting mechanics in my opinion are incredibly poorly implemented in conjunction with the cover system. Bad guys abound and all you have is your gun, your balls and a ton of cover, sounds easy right? Instead as soon as you pop out to take a shot you're immediately getting ripped apart. That wouldn't bother me so much if, say, you could actually kill an enemy with just a few bullets there by limiting your need to pop out of cover. But no, you can dump 3/4's your magazine, watch the goon go down and he'll still get back up. Cover also in this game is pretty poor. Sure it covers and protects you while you frantically try to figure out what to do since that last guy took almost all your ammo and there are 3 more people to kill, but it literally takes an act of God to reposition yourself since you literally have to be standing in front of the cover to actually utilize it. Worse, I guess sticking to realism about Max's age means you move like turtles **** Bullet time is a bad joke, you move slow as hell already but go ahead and activate that bullet time so you can take a few quick shots while doing your best imitation of "slower than molasses". It doesn't even help mitigate or dampen the damage you take so that moron at the end of the hall will go ahead and aerate your internal organs for you. There is no way around it in this game, you have to fight tactically but it doesn't feel like an option at all. The initial shooting controls also completely clash with any other shooter type game I can remember playing.

Max is a morally bankrupt, unscrupulous, cynical drunk and has probably punched a couple of babies in his day. I don't get at all how Rockstar thought this was the direction to take Max as a person, I was literally praying someone would permanently kill him just so he could stop hating everything and sobbing about his past. The only 2 decent things about this game to me are that I bought it for under 20 bucks and the graphics are pretty good. But this is all solely my opinion.
  57. Dec 28, 2012
    Initially I was extremely excited to pick this game up, since I was a huge fan of the first one on PC. However, I am very disappointed with the gameplay. I've tried giving the game a chance from time to time, thinking that maybe it's just me having gotten older and slower at shooting games, but alas, it is not fun on a PS3 controller. The aiming is HORRIBLE. This is the first game I'mInitially I was extremely excited to pick this game up, since I was a huge fan of the first one on PC. However, I am very disappointed with the gameplay. I've tried giving the game a chance from time to time, thinking that maybe it's just me having gotten older and slower at shooting games, but alas, it is not fun on a PS3 controller. The aiming is HORRIBLE. This is the first game I'm going to get rid of without finishing. If you must play it, do it on the PC, like another reviewer has already stated. Expand
  58. Dec 27, 2012
    I am a huge fan of the original Max Payne games. They were stuffed with gritty themes and epic gameplay. Max Payne 3 is good. By today's gaming standards that is, Put the third installment up against it's predecessors and it will pale in comparison. However, put it up against other shooting games that you can purchase today and it offers a nice change. Gameplay: Very much theI am a huge fan of the original Max Payne games. They were stuffed with gritty themes and epic gameplay. Max Payne 3 is good. By today's gaming standards that is, Put the third installment up against it's predecessors and it will pale in comparison. However, put it up against other shooting games that you can purchase today and it offers a nice change. Gameplay: Very much the traditional jump around in slow mo and kill people. New features like the "x" on reticule to show when a guy is dead is nice and the introduction of cover to the series is helpful and feels right but overall makes it feel less "Payne-isn". I mean why jump around in different angles shooting people when you can just save pain killers and hide behind a knee high wall? Presentation: Max Payne 3 is a beautiful game. Brazil is an excellent setting to show off what Rockstar's engine is capable of. The physics engine is one of the best I have seen recently. Graphics are slick for the most part and the goriness of deaths of both Max and his enemies are wonderful. Story: Bland and straight forward. I enjoy that they kept the same voice actor for Max Payne. Kept some Noir style in the game which is nice. Overall: I enjoyed the return of Max Payne and while it was a little off from past installments it still is something fresh in today's gaming market. Enjoy! Expand
  59. Dec 22, 2012
    The story and the game play were superb. Graphics were top notch. Only knock is that it's another linear game. But it was a blast to play. A ton of heart-pumping moments and some neat surprises. Just really fun and extremely well made.
  60. Dec 22, 2012
    It will disappoint veteran max payne fans, as it is a huge departure, but this huge departure and a new, exciting aesthetic, a new method of storytelling, and updates the gameplay so it is smoother than a syrup enema and sets the bar for third person shooters. I acknowledge that it
  61. Dec 18, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is the third game in the famous series and as usual, we play as the titular character Max, who has changed since Max Payne 2, released in 2003. Max is now depressed and addicted to alcohol and painkillers. The story is told through voiceovers and cutscenes. This is where the biggest problem is. While the story is decent, the cutscenes are unskippable and are about 85% of theMax Payne 3 is the third game in the famous series and as usual, we play as the titular character Max, who has changed since Max Payne 2, released in 2003. Max is now depressed and addicted to alcohol and painkillers. The story is told through voiceovers and cutscenes. This is where the biggest problem is. While the story is decent, the cutscenes are unskippable and are about 85% of the game. The gameplay is decent but feels weird that despite the fact story is so gritty, you will be jumping in slowmotion with Max's signature "bullet-time". If you can ignore the fact that the game is pretty much one cutscene with a few interactive parts, you might like it. For the rest, do not buy the game unless you want to watch another MAx Payne movie. Expand
  62. Dec 16, 2012
    I don't understand why some people are trashing this game. I have never played Max Payne 1 + 2 but I love 3. The graphics are gorgeous, the story is gritty, the controls are perfect, and most importantly..its fun. The bullet time mechanics work very well and the gunfights are challenging enough for hardcore players. The game does have some flaws, I personally noticed a drop in frame rateI don't understand why some people are trashing this game. I have never played Max Payne 1 + 2 but I love 3. The graphics are gorgeous, the story is gritty, the controls are perfect, and most importantly..its fun. The bullet time mechanics work very well and the gunfights are challenging enough for hardcore players. The game does have some flaws, I personally noticed a drop in frame rate at critical times and some enemies seem to bullet proof unless you are face to face with them. While these small complaints dont kill the fun they do at times cause aggravation. There are also times where Max's vocals don't match up with his lips moving and I personally don't care for some of the language (there is no reason to use G-Damn in any form of entertainment ) but that's my issue and I'm sure it won't bother the kids who think foul language is "grown up". In any event this game is great and I strongly recommend it to everyone who enjoys video games. I haven't tried multiplayer so my opinions are based on single player only. Expand
  63. Nov 27, 2012
    Drawing from all the things that made the first two Max Payne games a hit, adding in more expansive locations, better graphics, and making Max an older, more war-torn version of his ragged self, Rockstar has brought the man who deals death back from the brink of it.

The guns are awesome, the gameplay is linear, but still good; and the slow motion is as fun as ever. If you like shooters, or the previous M.P. games, you'll love this. 9/10,
  64. Nov 25, 2012
    I give this game a 10 because i rarely finish a game thinking without thinking 'They could of added that' or 'This coulda been different'. Incredible game from start to end. I like the merge of load screens with cut scenes and other developers should follow suit as you're not just staring at a bar filling up waiting for the next part, which loses you momentum. Kinda like, shooting - dramaI give this game a 10 because i rarely finish a game thinking without thinking 'They could of added that' or 'This coulda been different'. Incredible game from start to end. I like the merge of load screens with cut scenes and other developers should follow suit as you're not just staring at a bar filling up waiting for the next part, which loses you momentum. Kinda like, shooting - drama - drama - Shooting - -------Wait please----- Ok, now shoot again..Really is a great game in every way. The music that kicks in on the airport level is just too much! Really pulls you into it. Must buy. Expand
  65. Nov 21, 2012
    Sat down to play this about a month ago and couldn't get past the first couple of hours due to pure boredom. It was watch a 5 min cut scene, play, and then watch a another long cut scene. I found it to be boring..
  66. Nov 10, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played. Everything was perfect, an the story was beautifully sprinkled with film noire and a tale of loss. Max is one of the most engrossing characters of all time, and your interested in everything he says. If this Game does now win Game Of The Year, then I don't know what will.
  67. Nov 4, 2012
    A gritty, full bloodied reincarnation of one of Rockstars most hailed characters. Max Payne returns in this 3rd installment with finely tuned gameplay, an interesting storyline, some great graphics, and a decent multiplayer component. Definitely worth the buy!
  68. Nov 3, 2012
    An excellent shooter, with a story that seems to drag on and on. The most annoying part was with the cut scenes. You play for 10mins and then youre forced to watch a 2 min clip. without the option of skipping it. This would be fine, but it happens way too often.
  69. Oct 31, 2012
    This is truly a fantastic game. Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours. The graphics, full of detail and constantly very colorful and at times and very beautiful
  70. Oct 30, 2012
    the best game of the year oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  71. Oct 29, 2012
    A technical masterpiece, but thats it. The mood in the game has changed from a dark noire, to a cheesy Hollywood Action/Comedy. The story is hard to follow, and it's just plain bad. The multiplayer - dont even get me started. Like all of Rockstars games, the multiplayer is just plain boring and completely without depth. But I enjoyed the action, the beautiful graphics and voice acting.A technical masterpiece, but thats it. The mood in the game has changed from a dark noire, to a cheesy Hollywood Action/Comedy. The story is hard to follow, and it's just plain bad. The multiplayer - dont even get me started. Like all of Rockstars games, the multiplayer is just plain boring and completely without depth. But I enjoyed the action, the beautiful graphics and voice acting. Just shooting people in different ways will give you hours of fun. Expand
  72. Oct 29, 2012
    All that i can say about this game is that it is exactly what I've come to expect from Rockstar. Play through single player once and a little multiplayer - very polished - addictive gameplay and awesome multiplayer. Must buy
  73. Oct 27, 2012
    Although I never really got into the Multiplayer and only played through the Campaign once, this game is definitely worthy of a purchase. The entire feel of the single player felt amazing, and it provided a great, cinematic, violent, and fun-as-hell experience. The narration done by Max really helps you understand what's going on, and there are many plot twists and surprises along the way.Although I never really got into the Multiplayer and only played through the Campaign once, this game is definitely worthy of a purchase. The entire feel of the single player felt amazing, and it provided a great, cinematic, violent, and fun-as-hell experience. The narration done by Max really helps you understand what's going on, and there are many plot twists and surprises along the way. The gameplay is solid, and the slow motion looks really satisfying when you shoot somebody in the face with it. So if you're a gamer who loves a cinematic experience (story, graphics, presentation), do yourself a favour and buy this game. It is one of my most memorable single player experiences in the last 5 years of so (with Fallout 3, BioShock, and Dead Space competing) Expand
  74. Oct 17, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is certainly not as good as Max Payne 2, but in terms of gameplay, the game definitely does better than the originals. While story isn't quite as dark (even though it still is), and shootdodge is not quite as effective. the addition of multiplayer is fantastic, and the overall feel of the game is a more matured Max. A must buy for any fan of slow motion, guns, dark story, andMax Payne 3 is certainly not as good as Max Payne 2, but in terms of gameplay, the game definitely does better than the originals. While story isn't quite as dark (even though it still is), and shootdodge is not quite as effective. the addition of multiplayer is fantastic, and the overall feel of the game is a more matured Max. A must buy for any fan of slow motion, guns, dark story, and third person shooters. Expand
  75. Oct 16, 2012
    It is clear that Max Payne 3 has been used "the latest technology, innovative design, large mechanical and absorbing narrative and people to redefine the third-person shooters", do not think they redefined anything, but have become one of shooting games I've played most powerful in the entire generation.
  76. Oct 14, 2012
    No experience playing the first games needed.The developers made a great job of explaing almost all of Max Payne's past tribulations.This game's extremely linear, but the shoot-outs compensate that with some of the most varied, savage and memorable 3rd person action I've ever seen this side of Uncharted 2 & 3.The bullet-time mechanic is gimmicky, but surprinsingly it never gets old.SomeNo experience playing the first games needed.The developers made a great job of explaing almost all of Max Payne's past tribulations.This game's extremely linear, but the shoot-outs compensate that with some of the most varied, savage and memorable 3rd person action I've ever seen this side of Uncharted 2 & 3.The bullet-time mechanic is gimmicky, but surprinsingly it never gets old.Some encounters are very challenging and require some strategy instead of going Rambo-esque on the enemies.But the truly high-point of this game is definitely the tormented central character.Masterful voice acting and writing combines to give us some of the more funny (in a dark sort of way), self-loathing, irony-filled lines ever to grace a videogame.The seamless way in which in-game cinematics and gameplay are blended together is worth noting too.Also, there are "no loading times" because the game loads content while showing you cinematics.All in all, a pretty perfect game that deserves to be in any serious gamer collection. Expand
  77. Oct 9, 2012
    Let me just start of by saying Max Payne 1, and 2 where my favorite games of all time and i was so looking forward to the release of this game and got it on release date. I was so disapointed. You don't feel like Max anymore it just feels like a regular old shooter. The shooting is good don't get me wrong, but this game would only be good for people who havent played the old Max paynes. ILet me just start of by saying Max Payne 1, and 2 where my favorite games of all time and i was so looking forward to the release of this game and got it on release date. I was so disapointed. You don't feel like Max anymore it just feels like a regular old shooter. The shooting is good don't get me wrong, but this game would only be good for people who havent played the old Max paynes. I loved in the old games running around dark broken down motels killing people. The game was dark, almost like a thrilled shooter. This game is more like going around shooting up a whole army of people in a country trying to find someone. It reminds me more of the film Taken than Max Payne. overall good shooting realistic game though Expand
  78. Oct 8, 2012
    You can call me sucks but I think even though Max Payne 3 got some fascinating technologies to make gunfight feels very realistic but those realism really what makes the gunfight in the game a nightmare after another it's so realistic than I can feel myself playing my ass off but then AI just cheaply took me out with in few shots with their pinpoint accuracy it ridiculous,they also smartYou can call me sucks but I think even though Max Payne 3 got some fascinating technologies to make gunfight feels very realistic but those realism really what makes the gunfight in the game a nightmare after another it's so realistic than I can feel myself playing my ass off but then AI just cheaply took me out with in few shots with their pinpoint accuracy it ridiculous,they also smart too.
    Max Payne 3 is really the best example of how being too realistic can ruin the gameplay.
    But its realism is also means that every kill you made is so satisfying and every gunfight can give you that piss in your pants tension it gives you the unique experience that no other shooters can give! You could say that a serious skills are needed in order to complete anything harder than normal.
    Graphics can be rough in many areas due to its old age of RAGE engine but euphoria physics is awesome as ever.
    Sound is top notch even though I wish the weapons packs more punch than this.
    Story is you know pretty slick and Max Payne anti-hero attitude makes every cutscene a joy to watch and listen to..
    Multiplayer is every bit as good as the single player but feels a bit like a useless option since not so many people playing it.
    Despite its real life difficulty Max Payne 3 is a great 3rd person shooter that proves a single bullet can REALLY kill you.
  79. Oct 3, 2012
    I was a big fan of the first Max Payne game but didn't care much for the second . It's been a long time since we got a new Max Payne game and this is suppose to be the final one one in the series. Well for starters the game graphicaly looks fantastic . It also controls fairly decent and if you dont like the aiming it has a auto lock on mode you can select. The online is a fair bit of goodI was a big fan of the first Max Payne game but didn't care much for the second . It's been a long time since we got a new Max Payne game and this is suppose to be the final one one in the series. Well for starters the game graphicaly looks fantastic . It also controls fairly decent and if you dont like the aiming it has a auto lock on mode you can select. The online is a fair bit of good fun that i enjoyed for a few days till i grew tired of it. The story mode is just where this game falls . lets start with the story thats pretty much stuck up its own Ass and i just didn't give a crap about it. now Max Payne was never a great story game but in this day in age and with Rock Star improving in that area i expected better and what really makes it worse is you can't skip the Cutsceanes you have to sit there and just groan and wach them. I keep finding myself mashing the buttons hoping i can skip past them only to see a still laoding mesage at the bottom of the screen. Then there is the game play and this is where the game takes the biggest hit . Max Payne 3 just doesn't feel all that fun like the first one did infact it does nothing new . It actaully feels like it does less right . i loved jumping through the a door in the first MP in slow mo and gunning down 3 guys as who had no clue i was there . now i feel as if all i am doing is running to one area to the next and just fighting a group of bad guys and rinse and repeat. the game is actaully pretty long around 12hours or so but i found myself getting so bored with it i just wanted it to be over . i mean i actaully wished it was shorter ... which is a wierd thing for me to say about a game . The best thing they did with MP3 was get rid of the platforming which was so horrable in the first MP game. Max payne is not a bad game but i would say rent it or buy it cheap. i got mine for only $20 and i would say pay no more then that for it . For me this series went out with more of a whimper then a bang , which is very unfortunite. Expand
  80. Sep 19, 2012
    New game, old formula. Awful control. Almost unplayable with joypad.
    The story seems decent, but the ps3 gameplay is frustrating. Play it on pc and with the mouse if you really need.
  81. Sep 6, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is GRAPHIC!!!! I love it a little repetitive yes Lame no. This is a good game with good reasons to return to story mode for arcade and new york minute. What suprised me the most is how fun the multiplayer is I have a great time with it sure it is easy to get kills but staying alive is the fun part. Also tons of cool perks and items to keep you busy with it for quite a while.Max Payne 3 is GRAPHIC!!!! I love it a little repetitive yes Lame no. This is a good game with good reasons to return to story mode for arcade and new york minute. What suprised me the most is how fun the multiplayer is I have a great time with it sure it is easy to get kills but staying alive is the fun part. Also tons of cool perks and items to keep you busy with it for quite a while. Way better multi than RDR makes me want GTA5 even more. Stop hatin on Max or die in slow motion Bullet Time!!! Expand
  82. Aug 30, 2012
    The story was dull and that's the only reason I bought it. It was dark, but impersonal. There was no connection to any of the characters and none of it effected Max. I was also hoping to see some of the bizarre psychedelic stuff from the first two. Sure, it's a much better story than say, Black Ops, but I expected more from Rockstar. The shooting is fine if that's what you're into, andThe story was dull and that's the only reason I bought it. It was dark, but impersonal. There was no connection to any of the characters and none of it effected Max. I was also hoping to see some of the bizarre psychedelic stuff from the first two. Sure, it's a much better story than say, Black Ops, but I expected more from Rockstar. The shooting is fine if that's what you're into, and there were plenty of explosions. Expand
  83. Aug 17, 2012
    I think 9 out of 10 is the most adequate rating for Max Payne 3, gameplay and graphics are actually pretty good and the story wasn't bad either. The multiplayer carries two interesting features which are: load out weight and bullet time, they are both great. Additions like assignments, clues and golden guns will also make Max Payne 3 more lasting. The reason I didn't gave it a full scoreI think 9 out of 10 is the most adequate rating for Max Payne 3, gameplay and graphics are actually pretty good and the story wasn't bad either. The multiplayer carries two interesting features which are: load out weight and bullet time, they are both great. Additions like assignments, clues and golden guns will also make Max Payne 3 more lasting. The reason I didn't gave it a full score was the story more, some people won't find it true to Max Payne and other may call it repetitive. But still, this game worth buying Expand
  84. Aug 13, 2012
    I have to admit, I was quite excited about this game. I ordered it from the EB Games website and waited patiently for it to come in through the post. When I finally got it, I put the much-loved Yakuza 3 back on the shelf for a few days to soak in Max Payne 3. I mean, I was holding a new Rockstar game. I know some will argue that reviewers needlessly overhype games, but LA Noire wasn't madeI have to admit, I was quite excited about this game. I ordered it from the EB Games website and waited patiently for it to come in through the post. When I finally got it, I put the much-loved Yakuza 3 back on the shelf for a few days to soak in Max Payne 3. I mean, I was holding a new Rockstar game. I know some will argue that reviewers needlessly overhype games, but LA Noire wasn't made by Rockstar and Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto IV were brilliant games, so I thought this was going to be as good as them. This just proves that even people who do spend most of their free time examining and reviewing games (check out the link below) can be wrong. In the first ten minutes, I concluded that this was feeling a lot like a generic game as my hype levels plumetted from "holy **** Max Payne 3" to "oh, wow. Max Payne 3". This game, though by no means bad, feels like a lazy expansion on a dead series. Max Payne 2 was really the be all and end all of the series, being absolutely brilliant and even better than it's predecessor, and this feels like it was made to drag in the old fans of the series that were hungry for more while also trying to make a game for newcomers to the series. When I finally played this game, it felt like Hitman: Absolution before E3, where people (including me) were feeling cheated and wanted out old Hitman back. This game is a good game. Just not a great game. I am disappointed that Rockstar have not lived up to their usual standards, especially with one of their most loved franchises that has been awaited by the fans and newcomers alike since its announcement. All of the press releases by Rockstar and all of the pre-release hype didn't really come out, because everyone (well, most people) would have bought it and thought "well, is this it? Is this all Max Payne is?". I remember discussing it with a friend the day after. He was initially thrilled of the idea of me getting Max Payne 3, because he knew he would be able to come over and play it. After I explained it, however, he began to lose interest in the game entirely and began to doodle on his I-Phone as I explained the nature of the game. And, once you manage to get to the part in all the trailers about the fat, bald and drug-addicted Max Payne you are left feeling utterly shortchanged. I thought this was going to be a new and improved Max Payne that I would have learned to love. Instead, he feels like a complete rip-off of Lynch from the Kane and Lynch games. He has the same clothing, the same fatness, virtually no hair and a massive beard while also sporting a drug addiction (Lynch's was the pills that kept him from going on his minor psychotic rampages). And, along with this, the rest of the game feels like a rip off of Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days. Once you get past the first part of the game, you have basically done everything in the game that there is to do. The controls in this game are clunky and imprecise, not exactly what you want for a third person action game, and the aiming system is either the annoying and imprecise lock on system or no proper aiming at all. The lock-on system means that you will be left aiming at the chests of all the goons in body armour. These goons will then move around as you clumsily try to lock in on the guy's head, completely eliminating the purpose of a lock on system to begin with, causing you to go into the Bullet-Time system, which wastes it, so you may as well have included an automatic head lock-on, Rockstar. And the bullet time jumping and shooting doesn't work at all as manual aiming is a completely pointless endeavour that will leave you completely infuriated as you go mindlessly across the battlefield looking for the enemies that blend into the background. This game, I must say, is actually quite hard on easy mode compared to most other games, so there is really no point using manual aim unless you like watching the infinite killcams zooming into your face as a healthy bullet flies through it just for you. But this game isn't wholly bad. It is quite a bit of fun as long as you can put up with living through the cutscenes and all of that. If you can do this, you will find this game incredibly enjoyable and really worth your time. Just learn to shoot correctly...

www.blunderbussgaming.blogspot.com.au
  85. Aug 8, 2012
    I'm putting 10 because it closer to my score for the game (9.6). Max Payne 3 is one of the best TPS you can play this year; its look, its story, its sound, and its gameplay make it overall one of the best games Rockstar made of this generation (second only to GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption).
  86. Aug 7, 2012
    This isn't anything mindblowingly new to fans of the Max Payne series, but in my opinion this is the best game of the series now. It's a game that while not an all time great or anything is still one of the better games of this generation. The 3rd person shooter's mechanics are very well done, and the story to the game is also interesting. Overall, it's a fun game without any major flaws.
  87. Jul 29, 2012
    And again!!! Another overhyped game. I wonder why all pro reviewers loves to hype Rockstars games. Max Payne is good game, there is no doubt about it, but it brings nothing new and its little boring. Graphics is good, story ok, but the game is uselessly long. If I compare it with Kane and Lynch Dead Men (which is very similar game), it have to fail. KaL is much more fun. MUCH MUCH MUCH more...
  88. Jul 23, 2012
    Everything positive that's been said about the game is true. The dark, violent and amazingly well (voice)acted story is one of the best from Rockstar. The game play is simple, but works very well; and the graphics are awesome (including the feedback effects, and the detail to attention to detail). The musical score and soundtrack in the game is not only really fitting to the location, butEverything positive that's been said about the game is true. The dark, violent and amazingly well (voice)acted story is one of the best from Rockstar. The game play is simple, but works very well; and the graphics are awesome (including the feedback effects, and the detail to attention to detail). The musical score and soundtrack in the game is not only really fitting to the location, but also really great and adds to the mood of the story. The multi player is well done. The game modes are interesting and brings back all of the great game play from the single player including bullet time. Even though the single player is enough for the full price, Rockstar added this great multi player and adds more hours of game play. Overall, if you're into a story heavy game with great multi player this game is for you. Be warned though even on medium difficulty, you may sometimes find that the game can be challenging. Expand
  89. Jul 22, 2012
    i've never been a fan of max payne saga ( especially the second one) but it's surprisingly amazing, the main campaign delivers one of the most brutal and fun action of the year, and even better the multiplayer adds a terrific experience.
    entering other aspects the grahapics shows another succes of the euphoria engine with some great bullet effects and some nicely detail characters, some gameplay mechanics show the special touch of this franchise but with a little rockstar feel to it.
    personally i love the game and enters my list of best games of the year so far.
  90. Jul 22, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is an absolutely brilliant game, especially for fan of the franchise like myself. The mechanics are amazing, the gameplay is fluid; the physics engine is just brilliant. Rockstar did a terrific job on this max payne and its been a long time coming; the only reason I gave it a 9 is due to the storyline; I did enjoy the storyline but it felt out of place and less entertainingMax Payne 3 is an absolutely brilliant game, especially for fan of the franchise like myself. The mechanics are amazing, the gameplay is fluid; the physics engine is just brilliant. Rockstar did a terrific job on this max payne and its been a long time coming; the only reason I gave it a 9 is due to the storyline; I did enjoy the storyline but it felt out of place and less entertaining than the first 2, however the story mode was worth the playthrough, even if it was just the gameplay. The multiplayer is brilliant, the game modes are entertaining (especially gang wars) and the customisation is the most in-depth of its kind, I would recommend this game for any max payne fan (you probably bought it anyway) and even fans new to the series as its just a breathtaking game. 9/10, possibly 10/10 Expand
  91. Jul 21, 2012
    Waaaay overrated. Metacritic and other reviewers are the reason I keep buying these latest so-called 'AMAZING' Rockstar games and they end up being so simplistic and lacklustre. I was a BIG fan of Max Payne on PC back in the day and I dug the 2nd game just as much... but considering what is possible with today's technology Rockstar has really let me down. They keep adding in gimmicks likeWaaaay overrated. Metacritic and other reviewers are the reason I keep buying these latest so-called 'AMAZING' Rockstar games and they end up being so simplistic and lacklustre. I was a BIG fan of Max Payne on PC back in the day and I dug the 2nd game just as much... but considering what is possible with today's technology Rockstar has really let me down. They keep adding in gimmicks like glitchy special effects, facial effects and whatnot but fail to provide jaw dropping moments. I don't want to compare this to Red Dead Redemption because this seems like an IP they just picked up in lieu of a larger title--or something to make more money before Red Dead Revolution or Grand Theft Auto 5. Considering those two titles are in development I think we know where the talent went. Overall I'm just disappointed. Sure it has slo-mo, painkillers, double guns... but we've seen this before. The only thing we haven't seen is Max in the sun--so If I wanted to see a drunken, middle-aged cop in the sunshine I would turn on Die Hard: With A Vengeance or that terrible take on The Punisher with Thomas Jane (I used to think Max Payne was more like the Punisher--War Zone is probably the closest). He's just SO out of place and the story just isn't interesting because the people you are trying to save have little to no connection to Max personally. In summary, this is one example of another VERY overrated Rockstar title... Expand
  92. Jul 19, 2012
    Easily one off the best games of this console generation. To me, Max Payne is the definition of a linear, story focused game done right. The controls are excellent, graphics are great, the presentation blew me away, and the ending was just done beautifully. It really doesn't get much better.
  93. Jul 18, 2012
    Max Payne 3 destroys the first two and honestly may actually be one of the best video games I've played in quite a while. Max Payne 3 plays much like the past ones. You run around through the environment and shoot enemies while diving in slow-motion or engaging in bullet time just by standing. The first thing I feel I need to address is the game's presentation. This is a big game and MaxMax Payne 3 destroys the first two and honestly may actually be one of the best video games I've played in quite a while. Max Payne 3 plays much like the past ones. You run around through the environment and shoot enemies while diving in slow-motion or engaging in bullet time just by standing. The first thing I feel I need to address is the game's presentation. This is a big game and Max and Rockstar are both aware of that. It has an absolutely thrilling story that is tightly woven around each character. The characters are all really likeable even if a lot of them are traitors. These aren't just one dimensional bad guys that shoot at you for no reason. There is a reason you just have to wait a while and find out. My favorite character was Da Silva. He's a member of the Sao Paulo police force who Max ends up working with towards the end of the game. He's also brilliantly voiced, but then again so is everybody in this game. The whole scheme of things keeps getting bigger until the unbelievable finale. I also have no doubts that this is one of the best looking games of this generation so far. The attention to detail is amazing. Every single thing has been given complete attention to give you one of the most immersive linear game worlds you've ever been in. There is a multiplayer component and though I do enjoy it I feel that the controls for it are really clunky. It's a lot of fun anyways though. Really I only have two complaints with this game and they are kind of connected. If you play for long enough you'll notice that the game is relentlessly difficult on harder difficulties. The other complaint is the horrendous checkpoint system. I once had to shoot my way out of a room walk towards a door where five other enemies were kill them, go into another room where 3 more enemies were, then walk into a huge area with another 5 enemies, and then walk into a bar that was being held by 5 more enemies and then I finally hit a checkpoint. Not to mention there were no painkillers in between there besides the ones you end up spawning with after you die so much. Other than those minor flaws and the somewhat clunky multiplayer it is a fantastic game. Expand
  94. Jul 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Max Payne 3 is a fantastic game!!! Multiplayer is the best!!! Great story and gameplay. The multiplayer looks like a Red Dead Rendenption, but a Rockstar make a good job and the multiplayer of Max Payne 3 is much better yet. Expand
  95. Jul 16, 2012
    I am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried someI am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried some of the multiplayer and let me tell you it ain't bad either. I cant wait to get back on! EASY 10 Expand
  96. Jul 16, 2012
    This is a really good followup game. Iv played all the Max Payne games and this stays true to the franchise, the grapics, game play and story are good and the decent multiplayer is just the icing on the cake. This game is a must buy if you like shooters and good storytelling
  97. Jul 15, 2012
    Am I the only one who thinks this is a let down? While all the fanboys piss themselves cooing over MP3 I cant help but feel this is one of the biggest missed opportunities of this generation, campaign was OK although it didn't really feel like Max's story the mechanics held up well. The weapons have zero character and the multiplayer is simply **** horrible, why bother putting it in if youAm I the only one who thinks this is a let down? While all the fanboys piss themselves cooing over MP3 I cant help but feel this is one of the biggest missed opportunities of this generation, campaign was OK although it didn't really feel like Max's story the mechanics held up well. The weapons have zero character and the multiplayer is simply **** horrible, why bother putting it in if you don't mean it? seriously half arsed attempt and a travesty to us real Max Payne fans, the best part of the game was the original theme at the start screen. Brazil? really? Expand
  98. Jul 14, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great game. There is no other way of saying it. I found myself immersed into the incredible story it tells. I only have one problem with it. The shooting got a bit dull by the end. It's great fun, but towards the end I needed to take a break. Nothing new was added. It was all the same over and over again. I loved the game, but just had a few problems with having to playMax Payne 3 is a great game. There is no other way of saying it. I found myself immersed into the incredible story it tells. I only have one problem with it. The shooting got a bit dull by the end. It's great fun, but towards the end I needed to take a break. Nothing new was added. It was all the same over and over again. I loved the game, but just had a few problems with having to play almost the same way all the way through. The game's story is it's strong point. And you have a lot of "Oh my god" moments, so the whole experience was great and worth it! Expand
  99. Jul 12, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a fantastic game that will be enjoyed by most fans of rockstar games. But if you ar looking for an open world romp like gta you won't get that here its a pretty linear story which takes you on a breakneck ride through brazil I had the game finished in roughly 11 hrs. There is multiplayer to keep you going once you have finished the campaign and I must admit its not just youMax Payne 3 is a fantastic game that will be enjoyed by most fans of rockstar games. But if you ar looking for an open world romp like gta you won't get that here its a pretty linear story which takes you on a breakneck ride through brazil I had the game finished in roughly 11 hrs. There is multiplayer to keep you going once you have finished the campaign and I must admit its not just you standard tacked on crap it's very addictive especially as it take the shoot dodge from single player and masterfully uses that online. Max Payne is a great achievement and will be a classic for a long time to come all I can say is BRING ON GTA V Expand
  100. Jul 12, 2012
    I watched its trailer for about 4 to 5 times..each time i watched its trailer i became desperate to buy this game...and yea i Love this Game, Rockstar really worked Hard on this one .. and they proved (to me) that they r the best game-makers in the whole damn world!!
  101. May 15, 2012
    I've been waiting for years. Max Payne 3 is a fantastic game by Rockstar, the company that has been on quite a roll for the past few years. However, their shooting mechanics have never been that great. MP3 changes that, because the mechanics are excellent. Bullet Time and shoot-dodge both work the same way as before, but even better. MP3 has a solid story, great voice acting, prettyI've been waiting for years. Max Payne 3 is a fantastic game by Rockstar, the company that has been on quite a roll for the past few years. However, their shooting mechanics have never been that great. MP3 changes that, because the mechanics are excellent. Bullet Time and shoot-dodge both work the same way as before, but even better. MP3 has a solid story, great voice acting, pretty graphics, and amazing animations. Dual-wielding has never been better! It's not open world like RDR or GTA 4, nor will it win as many awards, but gameplay-wise, it's much ahead. Collapse

1. Jul 9, 2012
    An engaging story, extremely satisfying shoot-outs phenomenal graphics turn Max Payne 3 undoubtedly into one of the best shooters of 2012. It's a shame that Rockstar doesn't seem to know where to place their checkpoints.
  2. Jun 29, 2012
    Max Payne 3 brings back the depressed and trigger-happy former cop, in a new and surprisingly entertaining chapter of his life. Rockstar has brought the story to São Paulo, equipped Max with a few new tricks and made everything look a bit more polished and updated. The addition of a well-rounded multiplayer proves to be a stroke of genious that adds loads of extra hours of fun gameplay.
  3. Jun 22, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is an excellent farewell, but ultimately it's not as relevant as it was in the past. It has nothing to teach to the "new" shooters.