7.1

1. SimonTheArtist
    Aug 30, 2008
    I was as excited as anyone to play this game. Perhaps even more excited than most people... Do everything! Blow up everything! But then I bought it... and this game really DOES suck. The cutscenes LOOK HORRIBLE, and the graphics look VERRRRY last gen. I mean, the game is also out on PS2 and it seems as though they didn't even TRY to make it look like it was for the current gen I was as excited as anyone to play this game. Perhaps even more excited than most people... Do everything! Blow up everything! But then I bought it... and this game really DOES suck. The cutscenes LOOK HORRIBLE, and the graphics look VERRRRY last gen. I mean, the game is also out on PS2 and it seems as though they didn't even TRY to make it look like it was for the current gen systems. And if they tried, they failed. The framerate is the only thing okay about this game. I mean, how bad do the graphics have to be for the CUTSCENES TO HAVE SCREEN TEARING!!! THE CUTSCENES PEOPLE!! I mean, IT JUST LOOKS AWFUL!!! People complained that GTA IV was in 630p, but that game is a piece of art compared to this piece of last gen garbage. There really are no redeeming qualities about it. Just as I assumed, co-op was fun temporarily, but thats after you overlook the horrendous lag. My teammate was right next to me, and then he just appeared ten steps away from me. I literally saw my teammate moving towards me, without walking. That's right, he was FLOATING. This game is UGLY. The physics are TERRIBLE. Real-life rag dolls are more convincing. The textures are pixelated when you get close to ANY surface. In an age when rendered water looks great in ANY game, this game goes right back to the dark ages. The water looked better in Kung Fu Panda: The Game. When you shoot people, it doesn't even matter where you shoot them. It takes the same amount of hits to kill them, and they dont even look phased by your bullets until they just die. I don't even want to talk about the targeting system... but I will. I targeted a guys head with pinpoint accuracy, and my bullets just whizzed right past him. The animations are just HORRIBLE, and reek of unfinished-ness. If you shoot a pedestrian, he/she will fall to the floor - NO BLOOD, and then THEY GET BACK UP and run away!!! THEY GET BACK UP!! WHAT THE F*CK!!! The videos OBVIOUSLY make the game look spectacular (as that's what they are designed to do), and if you love explosions, you may be tricked into checking this one out for that very reason. Or, how about the video on Gametrailers of the guy in the helicopter picking up his teammate's tank, and they flew around blasting enemies. IT LOOKED GOOD IN THE VIDEO. Really cool. Sadly, lots of things look better in VIDEO. (ex. Haze) Hey, I was suckered into a purchase. Now people may say, "Oh, he's a graphics hore, all he carez bout is da graphics! The gameplay is fun lolll! I have seen the gameplay videos and it lookd fun! ExPL0xionS!" To this I say... Yes, I like great graphics. I have a 46 inch Sharp Aquos for a reason, and it was pure ZEN to see Metal Gear Solid 4 actually running on TRUE 1080p. However... graphics come second to a great story, fun gameplay, and cool art style... so sometimes I can overlook it. Let me just say, I gave it a chance - and NOT THIS TIME. The gameplay is very poorly executed, and the movement of the characters is equivalent to how Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter used to hobble around. Moreover, everything just feels... lackluster. This game should be called Mercenaries 2 : Lackluster. It's really that bad. But for you all, lets move onto story. The story SUCKS. It is interchangeable between each character, with minor differences in dialogue. You just don't find yourself giving HALF of a F*CK! The whole getting shot in the ass story?? Yea, its the same for EVERYBODY. If you want a sandbox game with an interesting story, get GTA IV or wait for Saints Row 2. Now, I'm not saying that either of them are the most fun games in the world, but this game is NO fun. There is no motivation to proceed beyond, OH I WILL GET TO CALL IN AIRSTRIKES. Big f*ckin deal. Once you've seen one airstrike, you've seen em all. You want to see a nuke? Wait for Fallout 3. This is a horrible game in comparison to some other great games you can get for the NOT SO low price of $60. And please believe me on this. I am not an EA hater, a Pandemic hater, or a MERCENARIES hater. I am a bad game hater. And I hate this game. This game IS an Xbox game, and if it came out for Xbox, it may have been impressive. But we have come to expect a certain standard from games, especially when the price tags are this high. You just CANNOT compare this game to other triple A titles that cost the same amount. There are so many better games to purchase right now. If this game was 30 bucks, I would still say buy Dead Rising or something else you may have previously skipped over. Even *gasp*... a Wii game. You will all understand once EVERYBODY inevitably gives this game a 7/10 or below. I really can't wait for the metacritic score... not to prove me right, but so that you all can see why NOT to get this game. I really just want to inform you all before you make an uninformed decision like i did. Let me re-iterate. I shot a pedestrian in the face. She fell to the ground, so I whipped out my assault rifle (AK47) and proceeded to repeatedly shoot her dead body. I saw no blood, and her body moved ONLY SLIGHTLY. I looked at her for 4 seconds and then she got up and RAN AWAY. This is COMPLETELY INEXCUSABLE. This is 2008. I really can't get over this. Every time I think about popping the game back into my PS3 to give it another shot, I just think about this, and put it right back into its box, making sure not to leave any scratches so that I can get the maximum trade-in value for when I bring this piece of shit back. I bought Mercenaries 2 yesterday, and I am about to bring it back to the store right now and trade it in with 3 of my Wii games JUST to GET RID of this game. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY Please do not buy this game. Hov did that so hopefully you ain't have to go through that. Lol, nah but seriously people, if you do, you will regret it. And then you will say, damn I shoulda listened to that guy. Dont believe me? Buy it then. Waste your hard-earned cash. I gave this game a 6. In all reality, it may be a 7, but I subtracted a point just because this game shorted me 60 bucks. I was going to make a quip about this game being a Mercenary itself, as all it's interested in is taking your money - but sadly, actual Mercenaries take your money after GETTING THE JOB DONE. It's not the worst game ever, but it's a rental AT BEST. And even then, you might regret it. Cool music in the commercial though. Expand
  2. JustinW.
    Sep 7, 2008
    flawed flawed flawed, from the vz patrol boats that can't be exited to the bomber pilot who routinely misses ruining the mission, this game has myriad glaring flaws. inaccurate weapons, laughable a.i., stumble damage, object tearing, i have no idea what they spent the delay time doing. sure as hell wasn't fixing this game.
  3. AndyP.
    Oct 28, 2008
    Good, but just not what you were expecting. After the hype this was meant to be better. It is still enjoyable and has moments what will have you in awe of the destruction possible. Graphically its pretty, but third gen (?) not really. The mini games needed to jack any vehicle will also start to grate long before the end. Oh and AI
  4. Jun 16, 2014
    I really don't know how I feel about this game.. Originally I bought the game for $5 (just for the **** and giggles) and was semi disappointed.

Really, all I can say is the vehicles in this game are awesome. I had a blast riding around in the monster truck and plowing over my enemys. What makes it even better are the arcade style driving mechanics that offer a crazy taxi sort of feel.

The only reason this game got bad reviews was the shooting mechanics and boring missions (this is coming from someone who finished 1/3 of the game). Mercs 2 biggest selling point is destruction, so why cant we have more destruction missions? The game offers more hunt the targets or capture the base sort of gameplay which isn't all that bad and not all that good. Also the tedious shooting mechanics make it feel as if your bullets are flying around in the entire circle reticle.

Personally I didn't get a chance to try the co-op since the game keeps freezing upon launch - due to pandemic studios closure. This was a bit of a downer but for paying $5 it wasn't too much of a problem.

Overall 7.5/10

I still don't know if I plan on finishing the game..

1. The game is worth a rental and a purchase if you want to keep your destruction going. So if you’re looking for a fun game, check out Mercs 2.
    For every time I cursed the stupid AI, I cheered at the demolition of another building. For every bug that got me stuck in some bushes, there was an attack chopper waiting to be jacked. If Mercenaries 2 had more polish, it would have been a great game. As is, it’s still worth playing – and enjoyable – but falls far short of its promise.
    It won't light the world on fire, but this next-gen playground of destruction offers you tons to do (well, tons to explode), it's always enjoyable, and I dove right back in after the credits rolled.