7.8

1. Feb 19, 2013
    I've got to admit, I'm kind of surprised by just how terrible this game is. Having played Bayonetta I expected a top of the line hack and slash experience taking inspirations from the greats. What I got was a gimmick filled ride with very little actual substance to it. Let's start with the gameplay. Rising's gameplay isn't particularly deep or rewarding. The time not spent wildly mashing buttons will be spent in blade mode, the game's big gimmick. This pauses the action and lets you cut through enemies. The way they've balanced this is that certain enemies require you to beat on them for a while before blade mode actually starts cutting. Unfortunately the beating itself is exceedingly tedious with enemies acting like glorified punching bags rather than actual threats and since there isn't much variety in Raiden's limited moveset and you'll soon find yourself bored to tears. A few boss fights breaks away from the tedium by mandating more advanced techniques but these are so few and far in between that it ultimately doesn't matter.

Now since this is a Metal Gear game I know what you're all really looking forward to is the plot. There's just one tiny problem here. There isn't any. After you're done mashing your way through a bunch of random bad guys with absolutely no bearing on the overall universe you're back where you started and I think that's by far my biggest issue with this game as a Metal Gear fan. NOTHING actually happens. If you really have to play this then do yourself a favor and rent it. It'll be over before you know it.
  2. May 16, 2013
    I've been gaming for over 15 years now across all consoles released in my lifetime including PC, and it is safe to say that this is the worst game I have ever played.

Horrible level designs. Too linear. Too many invisible walls. Same recycled textures and objects over and over. Players can't even explore the few side routes because of the visor that sees through walls and picks out
    enemies and treasure for you eliminating all of the fun.

Gameplay is equally bad. There is no reason to use one combo over another except area of effect attacks vs. single target ones. Blocking is atrocious. Timing isn't that difficult; it's the terrible controls that make it so horrendous. Blocking is done by holding the left joystick in the direction of the enemy attacking you and pressing light attack. If enemies are too far (which most of the time they are), Raiden just runs at them and gets hit. The mechanic is meant to flow seamlessly with combat, but it doesn't at all. It interrupts the action. It's impossible to avoid damage when multiple enemies are attacking you at once from all sides. The camera is terrible which results in the player getting hit by enemies they can't even see.

The story is actually pretty good. The dialogue is well written and funny (think cheesy self aware action movie). It also includes some insightful comments that are relevant in the world today. Cutscenes look amazing with all sorts of particle effects and well choreographed over the top fights.

In closing, this game is a button masher that requires zero skill. Blocking ruins the game and blade mode is a shallow gimmick. The dodge mechanic is the best way of avoiding damage but it still doesn't work as well as it should. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone unless they are getting it for around $10.
  3. May 4, 2013
    I think it’s safe to say that none of us were expecting an honest and direct Metal Gear Solid game. I think it’s additionally safe to say that anyone with realistic expectations of MGR:R booted-up the game with an open mind and realization that this was a spin-off; not a sequel/prequel. With a great deal of artistic license taken by Platinum, however, what became the final MGR:R product is essentially only a Metal Gear game in the sense that it says so on the box art and title screen. The first thing many Metal Gear fans will note is the extreme use of blood and cringe-worthy use of profanity. Let it be said that I am not squeamish nor do I pull punches linguistically in my daily vocabulary. Raiden’s once underlying rage comes to the surface in MGR:R as he plunges and slashes his sword though nearly everything he sees—living, inanimate, or otherwise. The marketing tagline for this game is “cut what you will”. No lie! This game allows the player to slice and dice almost every object in the game in some fashion. In that sense, the game achieves a definite cool factor and is probably the most fun aspect. But Metal Gear games have always demanded more for themselves and thusly provided a deeper experience for the gamer. And that, dear readers, is where MGR:R fails. Again, we knew it would be a hack-and-slasher, but it is ONLY a hack-and-slasher. I find the controls in this game a little funky to get used to. Halfway through the game, I still hadn’t reached the point where I could relax from mentally concentrating on every single button push. The options menu offers three mildly differing control maps, but I find each one to be a bit clumsy. Again, a comparison to the controls of Vanquish cannot be ignored. The control scheme makes extensive use of both analog sticks, shoulder buttons, and four-button layout while the D-pad plays a lesser role of menu scrolling and item selection. The major problem I have concerns the camera control. The camera floats way too much and there is little to do to remedy it, especially in moments of intense combat when you’re surrounded by four separate attackers. There is a target lock option, but I find that it has very little effect and actually impedes battle effectiveness. The player has the ability to enter a bullet-time phase where they can freely slash away at a target for an almost obscene combination of hits which is probably the game’s best feature. There’s nothing quite like jumping over a helicopter in mid-air and calmly dissecting its rotors into hundreds of finite pieces whilst the guitar-driven rock score kicks your eardrums in. It’s in those few and far between moments that I found my inner Metal Gear voice saying “this isn’t such a bad game”. Seconds later, I would fall back to the ground with enemy defeated and, sadly, reality would return. I’m not necessarily saying that the controls are bad per se; I’m simply saying that they’re the wrong type of controls for this type of game. Camera control is paramount. You can’t attack what you can’t see. But what compounds the problem is that the game seems bent on rewarding button mashing—something that nearly every other Metal Gear game dissuades with the exception of surviving Revolver Ocelot’s torture machine or moments of the ilk. MGR:R is not an abomination, but it is simply not a very good game. Even if it were viewed from the perspective of a stand-alone, original game, it would fall short. If you’re looking for a truly amazing Metal Gear game to play, look to the HD collections, knockout a few trophies from the highly-requested trophy patch for MGS4, or dust off your NES. If you’re looking for a run-and-gun, kill everything experience, checkout Vanquish…or maybe rent MGR:R. It’s a relatively short game, too, so most gamers will likely complete it after not much time. Expand
  4. Jul 12, 2013
    This game is truly bad. I've beaten over 130 different games in my lifetime, so I'm not just trashing this lightly. I'm also a big Metal Gear fan, all the way back to NES games. This however, should not be confused with a true Metal Gear game. This is some nightmare come to life. As HateApe points out in his review, this is a hack and slash. But, BUT, this is not even a poor hack and slash. This is a terrible hack and slash. You can slice a bridge in half, but can't jump up on it to move forward. You can slice through cars and solid steel, but that dry wall covered wall is too tough for your sword. The controls are horrible. The enemies, specifically bossfights, are ridiculous. The controls are already bad, but oh please, now have me hit entirely different keys that you put up on screen because that makes so much sense. I played the Xbox demo and thank goodness, because that was 30 min of my life I will never get back. You like this genre stick with Devil May Cry, Heavenly Sword, God of War, etc. Expand
  5. Mar 21, 2014
    I don't know why Platinum has to make every game have a more convoluted control scheme than the last. This "learning curve" has nothing to do with real skill and only artificially produces difficulty by implementing nonsensical rules. The idiot that decided that having your parry ability bound to the same stick that requires movement should just stop making games. Mobility during combat is limited and frustrating, the graphics (outside of flashy character models) are atrocious and the story is absurd, even for a Metal Gear game. The protagonist is an outright, egotistical douche. Glad I waited for this game until it was in the bargain bin, where it belongs. Expand
  6. Nov 20, 2013
    Wow. Never expected this steaming pile of excrement in the metal gear franchise. Haven't played many recent MG games but this is truly awful. Avoid at all cost. Shame the PS+ brigade gave it away free, they should be paying us to play it!
  7. Mar 11, 2013
    Why did they bring back Raiden. He sucks and the fans hate him. This game looks more like devil may cry than a tactical masterpiece that is metal gear. This game needs a breather. Please stop screwing up this franschise.
  8. Sep 6, 2013
    Giant flop, Impossible to grasp parry mechanic, awful story, lame uninspired boss fights. The slicing mechanic is fun for 5 secs, no stealth to speak of, this game is a total misleading pile of garbage and I will never rent again. I wish I never rented this because now I have a very sour taste in my mouth for the new upcoming next gen title, DO NOT waste your time on this POS.
  9. Mar 28, 2013
    First game I did not finish in a long while. EXTREMELY repetitive gameplay, boring and predictable story. Has nothing to do with MGS if thats what you are looking for. Just a generic button-masher a la block, roll away, attack, roll away, attack, special attack....repeat times 10.0000...game finished. For 10$ yes...60$...F That
  10. Jun 11, 2013
    this is a shame to the name metal gear solid its devil may cry basically no story really to follow you hack and slash like your playing the latest dynasty warrior game highly misleading as MGS games are usually stealth driven and a lot of deep storyline wouldn't even pick this up in a bargain bin for 50 pence.

shocking
  11. Jan 10, 2014
    I can't understand the mostly good reception. I have played a lot genre similar games recently like the new new DMC, Batman Arkham Asylum or even Mutant Ninja Turtles. This game can't even get close to one of them neither storywise or in fighting dynamics. The Graphics are practicable though not great, for they don't have but not very detailed. Some of the Enemy are OK to fight, but it's mostly dull gameplay the dialogue is not relevant, the characters are just stereotypes sticked together.
    I would not buy this game again.
  12. Dec 21, 2013
    On the plus side of this game, graphics look good.

However, that's about the only thing going for the game.
    Most of what is so stunningly shown, is just pure visceral violence. Now a bit I don't mind, but if the emphasis in a game is too much on gore, it just means to hide other issues in general in my experience. For example for this game: lack of a decent story, lack of a decent
    tutorial & lack of depth in gameplay in general Expand
  13. Feb 2, 2014
    One of the worst H&S games. Combat is awful. The block and counter mechanics is brain dead and only works half the time. Other then good graphics this game delivers nothing good what so ever. Waste of money and time. Once a again, a useless game have been made. The score is completely from the graphic and performance perspective. Game-play deserves nothing.
  14. Dec 22, 2013
    terrible. Atrocious camera control/system, poor choice of weapons, switching weapons and items is cumbersome and slow. Goofy, heavy handed anti-American story, lame Japanese style, etc etc. A far cry from God of War or Devil May Cry. Pissed I wasted time and money on this game.
  15. Dec 7, 2013
    Very bad controlls, bad camera, bad gameplay, play DMC, GOW etc. instead of this crap. Big disappointment,. Im a great hack&slash fan, but this game is just for those who like being upset by
    horrible gameplay and by a horrible blocking mechanic.
  16. Mar 10, 2013
    I truly wanted to like this game, I really did, but the flaws in it are just too hard to ignore. I will say straight off the bat that the visuals and music are top notch, and it likely won't get much better in that department. But if music and visual made a game great... the gameplay is atrocious, camera control in an action game like this is so rarely done right and this game doesn't get it right either, The whole cutting thing is beyond gimmicky, making me wish they had just stuck to QTE's and make Raiden do some sick moves to finish off his opponents rather than resorting to this mediocrity. Sure it's fun the first 5 times but after that it's done, and you just wish there's an auto function for it. The story is the same thing we've come to expect from Kojima, convoluted beyond belief and way too much in love with itself. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the years it took to develop this game were spent writing the script for it. I literally spent more time listening to pointless codec conversation than actually playing the game. The fact alone you can get a GOLD trophy for listening to most of the conversations is proof enough that they are way overdone. But the thing that truly drove me over the edge was that the game completely wiped my progress clean without warning whatsoever. I finished everything on easy and normal, upgraded the majority of everything, and then decided to go to hard mode, now my entire profile's been reset... truly atrocious, mind boggling how a game so infinitely hyped by the metal gear fanbase has turned out so ridiculously mediocre. The best I can do is recommend a rental of this game, for that's exactly what it's worth, you pay 5 bucks rental to play a 5 hour game (+10 hours of listening to pointless codec garbage). Do not pay 60 dollars for this disc of fail. Expand
  17. Mar 19, 2013
    I kinda wish I would've waited a year to purchase this one at apx. $20 opposed to full price. Repititious is an understatement. The entire (short) game is spent button mashing, with little to no attention paid to tactics. I have been a big fan of the old-school Metal Gear Solid franchise and I love the tactical yet badassedness of snake. This one, however, just seems to use visual ploys to convince people that it is comparably fun. I mean, yea, the graphics look great... congrats. I bought this one based on its Metascore, and you let me down this time. Expand
  18. Jun 5, 2013
    Gameplay:
    Coming from Platinum games I expected more from them. Following the release of a less than stellar DmC from Ninja Theory I expected Platinum to pick up the ball NT had dropped. Sadly I was disappointed. What we got was a QTE filled, simple two button, mash square to win, mess of a hack and Slash for the casual audience instead of something on par with Vanquish and Bayonetta.

Story:
    The story is a laughable mess that has had a backlash of fans of the MGS franchise because they have ruined Raiden (Jack da Rippah). I didn't have any claims of this because when I played MGR I hadn't played any of the MGS franchise whatsoever. I looked up which games Raiden was in in that franchise and bought the HD collection on PS3 and MGS4. After playing these games and bewildered that Raiden had done a complete 180 on terms of his characterization. I could then see why MGS fans were in outrage, it isn't much different than DMC fans angry over the angstonization of Dante in DmC. On top of the ruining of the character MGS fans have known to love I find out that his character in MGR is now officially part of the story in MGS instead of the spinoff it was slated to be.

Music:
    The music in this game fit so perfectly it was almost good. The OST is so over the top and cheesy it cannot help but be this game's overall theme
  19. Jun 22, 2014
    While the graphics and story are somewhat good, the game quickly turns into a mashing machine, becoming boring and frustrating at points, even more with quick time events in the middle of boss battles

which seemed good at the beginning, but, turned out to be repetitive and even extremely boring at the end.

good example of a game that promised a lot, delivered little and bored people
    half way to death... AVOID. Expand
  20. Jul 1, 2014
    Well, that was horrible... I had about an hour of fun with the blade mode, i'll give it that... but: The story and dialouge might is even worse than the second hobbit film... The only positive thing i have to say about this game, is that it subverted my expactation in one tiny detail: the german guy didn't betray you... Apart from that it's a mind numbingly dull experience with colourless characters and uninspired enemies...

Do yourself a favour and don't play it or if you have to: rent it!

1. Apr 9, 2013
    Improvements need to be made, but Metal Gear Rising has already established itself to be an action game well worth buying.
  2. Fact is, when Revengeance is firing on all cylinders it’s a great, albeit short (six hours, tops) action game. [April 2013, p78]
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    Its shortness will dissuade many, but cut deeper and an innovative parry system impresses. [Apr 2013, p.70]