7.8

1. Feb 19, 2013
    this game is straight-forward fun in the vein of Vanquish more so than Bayonetta. Combat is not as deep as Bayonetta but is still frenetic and fluid and feels great. The combinations of your light and heavy attacks with the moves you attain along the way allow for creativity and strategy for dealing with groups of enemies. The secondary weapons take the place of your heavy attack and arethis game is straight-forward fun in the vein of Vanquish more so than Bayonetta. Combat is not as deep as Bayonetta but is still frenetic and fluid and feels great. The combinations of your light and heavy attacks with the moves you attain along the way allow for creativity and strategy for dealing with groups of enemies. The secondary weapons take the place of your heavy attack and are best equipped to handle particular enemies, though never necessary. I'd say Hard mode would be your Normal mode so start there. Very Hard mode with New Game is when you really start to feel the fast pace of the action and how challenging the game can get. The parrying works well and is satisfying when you're stringing them and countering during intense battles, although the camera angle may sometimes be where it's hard to judge the direction to parry. That's why the Dodging ability is also important. Ducking, weaving, parrying, countering, running while deflecting bullets toward the dude in the distance, all happening in quick, fluid succession creates really cool moments. This is what the game is about. It is on the short side but this is more for the arcade-style gamers like myself who love getting better and chasing ranks. Expect high-level gamers posting speed runs on youtube that will surely expose how the game can truly be played. I give this an 8.5 but the scoring system only allows whole numbers. Don't really care about story though i do wish there were options to change language and subtitles like in Vanquish. I dont consider this to be Platinum's best game, which is understandable given their circumstances and time constraints. But if they are given the chance at a sequel i bet they can create a true masterpiece. This game is still fun for what it is and therefore receives a good score from me! Have fun with this one. Expand
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    this game proves once again that platinum can make an over the top crazy action game its a great spin off to a great series. if mgs fans dont like it there is ground zeroes to look forward to but in the mean time you can enjoy this crazy fuelled game
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    As long time MG fan, i feel this is a very good entry into the series's already decorated history. Graphically, character models are top-notch. The Art style as intriguing as ever, boasting some of the most Uniquely designed enemies you'll encounter, visually and in function. Visuals are especially impressive in regards to handling the frame rate well despite the wild amount of acceleratedAs long time MG fan, i feel this is a very good entry into the series's already decorated history. Graphically, character models are top-notch. The Art style as intriguing as ever, boasting some of the most Uniquely designed enemies you'll encounter, visually and in function. Visuals are especially impressive in regards to handling the frame rate well despite the wild amount of accelerated action that takes place. As expected, the Action level is far higher than the Snake installments; even past Raiden segments are idle in comparison. Controls are solid, what you can expect from a Team Ninja action title. (Compare to DMC). This combat flow is definitely the fastest thus far. Love the Ninja-Run feature, as it allows Raiden to easily navigate all terrain and any geometrical obstacles, adding a necessary smoothness to his mobility. Weapons are fun to use and learning the combos is worth it. Upgrades are meaningful. Enemies are fierce and satisfyingly competitive. Hard Mode) The boss battles are the game's best offerings, providing rewarding challenge and visual spectacles that won't come close to disappointing you. The camera may only be an issue for the unsavvy.

The story is as cheesy as every other Metal Gear. Still, fun and masterfully written. Codec conversations provide interesting dialogues. Neglecting those would mean missing some of the best writing in the game. Great game overall for fans of the genre and should satisfy most Metal Gear enthusiast. 9/10
  4. Feb 24, 2013
    This is the Vanquish of 3rd person action games. It will be equally hated by those ignorant gamers that play a game for 20 minutes and say "this sucks" or those that have a hard time learning new skills.
    The real action gamer will discover what its all about, and know its another great Platinum game that will be played many, many times.
  5. Feb 24, 2013
    This game will go into history as the masters of game music and its innovative use.

The Boss fights are also memorable, grinding kept to a minimum and gives that overthetop epic live-action feeling about self performance! If only they'd learn camera control...
  6. Feb 24, 2013
    Metal Gear rising is almost perfect for what it is. There were only a few issues with the game. The camera could be really annoying at times, the length was far too short for a metal gear game and the story just didn't hold as much weight with you as a metal gear "solid" game. As far as positives go however, this game was so fun I'll actually play through it again and i never do that withMetal Gear rising is almost perfect for what it is. There were only a few issues with the game. The camera could be really annoying at times, the length was far too short for a metal gear game and the story just didn't hold as much weight with you as a metal gear "solid" game. As far as positives go however, this game was so fun I'll actually play through it again and i never do that with games. The graphics were cool, the soundtrack was really unique and i promise you have never played a sword game like this before...ever. Platinum Games did an awesome job with the blade mode.

I'm personally not regretting my purchase of this game. It was exactly what video games are supposed to be; clever ideas and tons of fun.
  7. Mar 1, 2013
    This game is straight to the point, without much ado, like ninja gaiden in their glory days, the story is not as impressive as that of MGS4 but it's a good excuse to get out slicing everything.
  8. Feb 25, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising is a great addition to the series. platinum games have done a great job of creating a first class game based around sword skills and martial arts weapons like Raidens default nano energy sword, sai swords, 3 section staff/ long pole and more than likely a few more i have not yet seen. The game allows you too upgrade weapons armor and skills by using the points scored inMetal Gear Rising is a great addition to the series. platinum games have done a great job of creating a first class game based around sword skills and martial arts weapons like Raidens default nano energy sword, sai swords, 3 section staff/ long pole and more than likely a few more i have not yet seen. The game allows you too upgrade weapons armor and skills by using the points scored in a mission too buy the upgrades. The better your score the quicker you can upgrade. Metal gear rising is a challenge even on normal difficulty at first you will die a lot especially on boss fights but as you learn and progress when you finally beat the boss or enemy that was causing you all the grief. you feel you have mastered raidens skills and this is were the addiction factor kicks in trying to beat previous area best scores. Some reviews said the game was very short but its actually not that short and with different weapons to collect as well as battle armors/cyborg suits that have different skill stats attached the replay value is high. The story is one of political intrigue mixed with raidens back story and the morals of war. (No Spoilers) The graphics look great and the game runs at a smooth 60fps. This is a next gen game running on this gens tech. The destruction engine that is used to count how many pieces an object gets cut into works great and you even spend time chopping wood just too see how many pieces you can cut it into. Metal gear rising game of a thousand cuts. Platinums best yet. if you like swordplay games with a decent story this game is highly recommended there is nothing else like it available this gen. Expand
  9. Feb 25, 2013
    I start with bad sides:
    1. Camera. luckily Lock-On compensates it somewhat but not enough to make it good. 2. Side Characters. Sorry, they are not very interesting or appealing. Luckily their impact on story is very minor.
    I start with bad sides:
    3. Humor. I loved over the top stuff. I loved humor in Bayo. Here it felt somewhat forced. Now those 3 thing aside, I try to describe good sides. 1. Combat. It's very intense and fun. I don't understand how some people called it shallow or whatsoever. Experimentation with unique weapons adds depth and customizable moves add sweet flavor to it.
    2. Enemy variety and AI. The game isn't very long, but enemies are coming in many different forms and are far from being shallow shells, staying and waiting on your punishment.
    3. Difficulty. Maybe I'm not as good in this game Back than I was able to make it through Bayo without much trouble) but here skill is required on different level. IT's mix of NG and Vanquish. NG's combat and Vanquish's speed.
    4. Eye candy. Game looks awesome with non stop effects and cool animations. And what's really made my day: no pixelated shadows by PS3. Pixelated shadows nowadays is common in many games, but here they managed to avoid them altogether. 5. Story. Behind absurd over the top story hides pretty thick and engaging story that I haven't expected at first.
    6. BOSSES! Yes, they are the kings of this game. I haven't enjoyed boss fights so much for a very long time. And they really made it more than worth. 7. Exploration. Hidden areas, collectibles and funny nods to MGS made it re-playability even more engaging. In the end it's 9/10 for me. Aside from 3 things I mentioned at the beginning, 2 of them pretty subjective, I found game is more than enjoyable and I'll be glad to see sequel to it!
  10. Mar 5, 2013
    Honestly at first, I only considered getting this game to spite Capcom and Ninja Theory for DmC. Then I actually watched a preview of the game. Let me tell you, I've never played any of the other MG games, So I can't speak from a hardcore MG fans perspective. But I can speak from the perspective of a hardcore hack n' slash fan. Metal Gear Rising is amazing, it has everything a hack n'Honestly at first, I only considered getting this game to spite Capcom and Ninja Theory for DmC. Then I actually watched a preview of the game. Let me tell you, I've never played any of the other MG games, So I can't speak from a hardcore MG fans perspective. But I can speak from the perspective of a hardcore hack n' slash fan. Metal Gear Rising is amazing, it has everything a hack n' slash game should have. The gameplay is fluid and fun, tons of action, the soundtrack is amazing, and I know a lot of hardcore MG fans don't like him, but I freakin love Raiden, My only criticism is the game's a little short. But whatever, it has replay value Expand
  11. Feb 25, 2013
    Game is a really great game. The game is accessible for everyone as well as caters to the metal gear fans. In terms of story, the game doesn't go too heavy on Raiden's Metal Gear Solid past, or really much of what transpired in Metal Gear history so that the story isn't too confusing to anyone who hasn't played any Metal Gear game before, but give some easter eggs from earlier metal gearGame is a really great game. The game is accessible for everyone as well as caters to the metal gear fans. In terms of story, the game doesn't go too heavy on Raiden's Metal Gear Solid past, or really much of what transpired in Metal Gear history so that the story isn't too confusing to anyone who hasn't played any Metal Gear game before, but give some easter eggs from earlier metal gear games that cater to the fans of the series. The gameplay is really the reason why it is accessible to everyone as the game is a hack n slash and everyone loves a hack n' slash. There are still some aspects of Metal Gear gameplay like stealth but those aspects are really just an option as hack n' slash is everything in this game. What's also great is that you can slash basically everything in the game. What sets this game apart is blade mode, with this, you can slash up you enemies to a million pieces when the option is given. What I really like about this aspect is that I slashed both arms of an enemy and they'll still attack me by kicking and that just reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Other than that, bosses in this game are brilliant, I won't spoil anything, but I will say that the bosses are just brilliant. In terms of visuals, it's great in terms of what the PS3 has to offer, but I have consistency problems between cut scenes and the game itself, but that's just my thing. Music in this game is not for everyone, I know that, but I feel as though that they do fit within the game, especially the bosses. Voice acting is great, just as you would expect from a Metal gear Solid game, but one problem is Raiden's voice, especially when he becomes Jack the Ripper. Now, one more problem which is what mostly everyone comes by in this game is the camera problem, which can really problematic. You can lose your enemy due to this is just an example, I can say that this camera can really mess up your gameplay. Another thing to note is that this game runs about 4-6 hours, and it is pretty linear, but it is highly replayable. What I'm getting at is that the length of the game does not correlate the price for me. If you really want this game, and have money to burn, I would recommend getting this game at retail price, but if you're on the fence on getting this game or not have a strong resolve to get this game, I would recommend waiting till the price of the game drops to a reasonable price for you. Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    Full review can be located at http://www.one-quest.com/blog/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-review/

Over the past two weeks I’ve had nothing but Metal Gear Rising on my mind. In the first look I had a handful of problems with the game, but I still maintained high hopes. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is set a few years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4. With the patriots gone, an

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is set a few years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4. With the patriots gone, an increase in development of nanotechnologies and cyborgs have created a higher demand for PMCs(Private Military Corporations). Raiden, a sword wielding ninja cyborg, works for a mercenary group known as Maverick. Maverick was hired with the task of working as peacekeepers for a war torn country as a new head of state is brought into power. Let’s just say that everything spirals out of control which pits Raiden and Maverick against another mercenary group known as Desperado. The plot holds together well throughout the game. Metal Gear Rising is peppered with information about Raiden’s past, references to previous Metal Gear games, and an immersive new political state in the Metal Gear universe. The script and voice acting are great, captivating, and a often humorous. They were able to throw in a few subtle jokes and flat out ridiculous moments, even in the most serious portions of the game. Although the final boss was a little bit of a stretch, I really enjoyed the story, and it nicely complements the game play. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance clearly has Kojimas charm written all over it.

Konami made a smart decision putting PlatinumGames Inc. in charge of the development. When people hear the name Metal Gear they think of that classic tactical espionage action. However, Raiden has since moved away from the tactical espionage, and more toward the action. Keeping with the tactical espionage roots there are some stealth moments in the game for Raiden, but there wasn’t much of a benefit to playing this way. I found myself running in, sword swinging, no matter what enemies lie before me. The controls aren’t configured for stealthy game play either. You do get items, such as boxes and barrels, that help you sneak around, but there isn’t much of use for them. Like I said, the focus of this game is on the action, and there are some heavy doses of action in MGR:R.
    One of the big focuses of the game is the “Blade Mode.” This ability slows time, which allows you to position your blade to cut enemies to pieces, big or small. The primary use of Blade Mode is for “Zan Datsu”, the ability to cut open an enemy and grab their cyborg spine to heal yourself and recover electrolytes. Blade Mode is also used to just cut things into small pieces. because it’s fun.
    As you play the game you’ll be able to unlock new sword abilities as well as different sub weapons, main weapons, and special items. The unlockables and upgrades are very reminiscent of games such as Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, with a bit of a Metal Gear Solid flair. You get Battle Points by getting higher grades throughout the missions, as well as cutting off specific limbs. You use the Battle Points to purchase upgrades and items. In order to unlock new weapons and special items you need to complete specific objectives, e.g. Beat the game on Hard Difficulty, Collect all I.D. Chips, or complete all VR Missions.

I’m also glad to report that there is a dodge ability which comes in handy. Unfortunately the camera does get a little confusing, but for the most part you are playing in wide open areas, so it doesn’t play a major factor past the first few, confined, areas. In the end Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a great game, and a total blast to play. Keep in mind that this isn’t the Metal Gear we have all grown up with. The focus here is on action, although the story is still full of crazy Kojima politics. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance features a new game play style for the Metal Gear saga and it works spectacularly. While the story is a bit on the short side, about 7 hours, there’s still plenty of replay value. With new weapons and costumes to unlock, and the always daunting “perfect rating” for each level, you could spend quite a bit of time with this one. Also, the music in the game is awesome! Pay attention to the ever changing audio as you play through each mission, you’ll be impressed. The soundtrack actually features some local friends of ours, The Maniac Agenda, which makes the music that much more exciting. If this is how 2013 is going to start then we have an epic year ahead of us. Pickup, play, and enjoy Konami’s Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
  13. Jun 27, 2013
    This is one of my favorite games ever. While it's certainly not perfect, it has a very special place in my heart due to its battle system, music, characters, unlockables, etc. Unlike some other reviewers, I believe that the things the game does right easily overshadow the things that it does wrong. The "Zandatsu" cutting system is absolutely amazing and unlike anything I've ever seen. OnceThis is one of my favorite games ever. While it's certainly not perfect, it has a very special place in my heart due to its battle system, music, characters, unlockables, etc. Unlike some other reviewers, I believe that the things the game does right easily overshadow the things that it does wrong. The "Zandatsu" cutting system is absolutely amazing and unlike anything I've ever seen. Once you start cutting, you just won't be able to stop. Aside from that, the battle system is of the typically high quality that we've come to expect from Platinum Games. The only real difference between it and, say, Bayonetta, is the lack of any kind of dodge or block button. In their place is a very interesting parry mechanic that might be a bit hard to master, but once you do it, it feels deeply satisfying to parry your opponents, and it adds a whole new level of depth to the battle system. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard. The fact that I actually bought it and put most of the vocal tracks on my iPod should explain exactly what level of quality we're talking about here these are tracks that are absolutely amazing out of the game, but sound incredible when they start playing in the middle of a fight. It's also safe to say that this game features the most interesting squad of bosses seen in a "Metal Gear" title since "metal Gear Solid 3", with the cake going to Monsoon the cybernetic philosopher who can separate his body into tiny pieces and control magnetism.

Of course, many people are turned off by the length of the game not counting cutscenes or replays, the campaign can be beaten in about 4 hours. Then again, this is one of those games that are supposed to be played again and again, using different weapons, cybernetic bodies and difficulty levels. The amount of collectibles is astounding you can collect data chips, chop off left arms, hunt for Men in Boxes, look for health extensions or just try to get trophies and titles. No matter what, there's always something new you can discover on repeated playthroughs, which can make up for the short length of the campaign. There's also literally hundreds of VR missions you can try that will take at least 4 hours on their own, so if the length is the reason why you might not want to pick this up, I'd say your fears aren't entirely justified.

Bottom line if you want to play an absolutely excellent hack n slash, then ignore the trolls and look no further than Metal Gear Rising!
  14. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am currently in the mists of playing this game and from what i have seen it is a revamp version of metal gear, in the cool way featuring cyborgs, and a hack and slash ninja theme. the graphics are immense in my opinion the game play may feel a little repetitive to some with only having a few attack combos to choose from but that's all made up for with the gore and violence of the new and improved raiden :D. I played metal gear solid sons of liberty and when playing as raiden i was so bummed out i felt i would have been better playing a female character as she would have been more macho, but after playing this game i have total respect for him now he comes across so much more confident and more prepared for battle. From the story aspect im a little unsure its a little hazy to start of but as i progress the story is starting to unfold so i can not really comment much. but over all a visually stunning, hack and slash ninja game that is enjoyable by new to the metal gear series as well as metal gear followers looking for something new. Expand
  15. Sep 7, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of MGS and have been looking for something to help stave off the hunger for the next gen installment. In comes Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Breaking away from the traditional MGS mold which mainly focuses on unparalleled storytelling that engrosses the player in an almost too-real world of corruption, in depth character designs, and plot twists galore, MGR:R takes a stabI'm a huge fan of MGS and have been looking for something to help stave off the hunger for the next gen installment. In comes Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Breaking away from the traditional MGS mold which mainly focuses on unparalleled storytelling that engrosses the player in an almost too-real world of corruption, in depth character designs, and plot twists galore, MGR:R takes a stab at producing an over-the-top and insane gameplay experience.

And it succeeds.

I have to admit I was skeptical at first. The gameplay opens up with a relatively basic storyline (although you certainly get that Kojima feel as the story develops), and introduces you to a very well done fighting system. You quickly begin hacking, slashing, and dismembering your enemies by the dozens and it is almost frightening how much I enjoyed it. You actually maintain your health and energy levels by absorbing your enemies insides (HELL YES) and you can slow down time with the blade mode system to put more precise cuts into your enemies for extra satisfaction. The blade mode implementation plays a huge role in the game, as you will need to it overcome some of the most well done, thought out, and smart boss battles I've ever experienced.

Overall, if your an MGS fanatic like myself and you're looking for something to keep you busy while you wait for the next gen, pick this game up and give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised by how ok I was with the different gameplay style presented here. I was still finding myself in the MG universe, and having a damn good time.
  16. Feb 26, 2013
    It last "only" for 6 hours, but the whole game is packed with action, solid graphics, great sound and music, amazing fastpaced gameplay and a intresting albeit sometimes silly story with links to actual events.
  17. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is stellar. This may be the fastest action game ever created (and that's a good thing) The heavy metal soundtrack only intensifies this, but the real star of the game is the ridiculously triumphant boss encounters. These are so epic and insane that I found myself explaining each one to my wife (who could care less) pantomiming katana strikes and all. If you like feeling like theThis game is stellar. This may be the fastest action game ever created (and that's a good thing) The heavy metal soundtrack only intensifies this, but the real star of the game is the ridiculously triumphant boss encounters. These are so epic and insane that I found myself explaining each one to my wife (who could care less) pantomiming katana strikes and all. If you like feeling like the ultimate badass, are a metal gear fan, or just plain love good, old school action games, go get this now! Expand
  18. Feb 23, 2013
    MG Rising, the newest game in the Metal Gear franchise, is an amazing and fun title, standing out for both its unique style and gameplay within the series or out of it.
    Story and Presentation: MGR is set in the near future (2018), four years since the events of MGS4, with Raiden serving as the main protagonist. The story of MGR and its characters is nice and well written, though it is easily one of the game's weakest points, as the story becomes more and more confusing, but that only helps MGR to develop Raiden's character. The whole story was just made to make Raiden more BADASS, and believe me, it succeed. Some points do fall short because of the story's length, and it somehow make me feel that the game is rushed 9.
    Graphics: MGR looks great, although the graphics are not ground-breaking as previous MG titles. The whole environment is so detailed and the character models look nice. There are still some screen-tearing moments, but that's alright 9.
    Soundtrack: The game's soundtrack is top-notch. The game's rocky/metal music is fitting to the whole atmosphere of the game, and it helps making you feeling so pumped while playing. Voice acting is amazing. 10.
    Gameplay Awesome swordplay and fast-action moves, MGR is so fast and f*cking fun. Hostile AI is (almost) perfect, and the game's bosses are cool, though I can say that the sole reason they exist is to make the gameplay more fun. Blade Mode is a very fun feature. *spoilers*Reaper Mode is insane*spoilers* There are still several issues with countering (AKA Parring), secondary weapons, and camera angles, but that's not stopping me from giving a 10.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is short, with the story lasting for only 6 hours at the best. HOWEVER, there are unlockable VR missions to complete and the whole story combined with insane, f*ckin' fast gameplay is just so much fun that you must replay the singleplayer more than once. 8.5
    Final score is 9.3, but I have to go with "9" (damn you MetaCritic)
  19. Feb 21, 2013
    Been quite the year already for off the wall hack and slash games, and this one is closely on par with DmC. Like much of the other hardcore MGS fans, I found this new direction hard to choke back at first but it fits with Raiden and brings some really neat mechanics to the hack and slash genre in general. Graphics are decent but have moments of looking a tad dated and I felt Raiden lookedBeen quite the year already for off the wall hack and slash games, and this one is closely on par with DmC. Like much of the other hardcore MGS fans, I found this new direction hard to choke back at first but it fits with Raiden and brings some really neat mechanics to the hack and slash genre in general. Graphics are decent but have moments of looking a tad dated and I felt Raiden looked different than in previous MGS games but meh not terribly important. The story slowy dilutes into your typical outlandish Metal Gear war theme and is quite linear which is expected. As much of the other reviews have stated as well, the environments are quite bland in most situations and the minor stealth aspects should have never been put in to begin with. Enemy AI is about on par with Turning Point and that is far from a complement. And if you haven't played that game, I envy you. All in all a bold attempt by KojiPro and Platinum and in the end it shaped up to be a lot better than what I think people had expected. Worth a rent or borrow it from a friend, an absolute buy for those who are MGS loyalists! Expand
  20. Feb 25, 2013
    My major complaint is that the game is short. And yes, it's "meant to be replayed," but approximately 3 to 4 hours of level CONTENT (not time it takes you to finish) is a lot of money per inch of level. Whenever they kick out MGR:R2, I'll be buying it, and I still highly recommend buying this one, but I really hope they add a bit more.

The mechanics of this game are rock solid. The

The mechanics of this game are rock solid. The system is probably the most fun I've ever had with an action game, although a lot more could have been done with it to add some variety. I hope to see some more innovative uses of the "cut anything" system in a sequel.

Despite people's complaints about it "ruining" the atmosphere of the metal gear games, the story isn't bottom tier. Yes, the villains are silly and not well explained and Raiden's intelligence level bounces all over the place from scene to scene, but it's not a game breaker by any means.
  21. Apr 6, 2013
    Short... Biggest downfall. But with that said. Take an action game of 10 hours shrink it to 5 and make it non-stop go go go... Add in insane fights and a psychotic hero makes me smile inside. Riaden has redeemed himself and for the first time a MGS game spin-off that is enjoyable.
  22. Feb 19, 2013
    Some of the best over the top action scenes in a game. Platinum games has made a very polished action game. The gameplay is solid, but the best part of the game is the cutscenes. I also enjoyed seeing a videogame apply some political commentary to society. Kojima was right to have platinum make this game. No one can make an action game with Japanese style like they can. Maybe capcomSome of the best over the top action scenes in a game. Platinum games has made a very polished action game. The gameplay is solid, but the best part of the game is the cutscenes. I also enjoyed seeing a videogame apply some political commentary to society. Kojima was right to have platinum make this game. No one can make an action game with Japanese style like they can. Maybe capcom will have them do the next resident evil....that would be interesting. Overall, it feels like part of the mgs universe although more of a side story, but I still enjoyed it. I would recommend to anyone a fan of the series or an action fan. Expand
  23. Feb 19, 2013
    Absolutely awesome when i played the demo of this my hopes where really high and they did not disappointing raiden is a great lead and he controls so well. Platinum games did so well and the sword gameplay is so well done. The game also still keeps the mgs feel.
  24. Feb 19, 2013
    Long review incoming.

Long review incoming.

First of all, ignore some of the reviews here, it's happening the same thing as DmC, but unfortunately the DmC fanboys are butthurt their game is "decent" at best so they have to come here and bash this game. Now for the review itself, the game will be worth your time. It is around 6-8 hours long, not too long yes, and you'll see around 4-5 hours total time in the end result, but that's simply because the game doesn't count restarts, so it's like you never died and did everything perfect, which is pretty impossible. So yeah, everyone is assuming, even "professional reviewers", that the game is only 3-4 hours long, when it simply isn't.

The game runs at 60fps and looks really nice, visual wise the game is really good, nothing bad about it.
    Another point is the camera. It isn't that great, but people simply need to learn how to use the damn right analog stick, and it'll be ok.

The combat is alright, it's fast and full of action. Combos aren't perfect, but they're good enough. There's a counter function, which works as intended, and a dodge, although it could've been better implemented. I don't like how once you get unique weapons, you use them with a dedicated button (as in, Square will light attack with the HF Blade and Triangle will use the unique weapon) and it's not a full replacement.
    Blade mode is fun, and a great addition. Who doesn't like to cut people into bits? :D

Boss battles are amazing. They're really intense and the music in them really gets you pumped.
    Speaking of music, it is amazing. It's obviously different from past Metal Gear games, and as such, it fits in perfectly.

The story is good, it happens 3 years after the events of MGS4, although I'm gonna be honest and say I expected atleast a reference to Solid Snake in a cutscene or codec, or maybe Otacon, seeing as Sunny is in. Some characters are interesting, mainly bosses, while a few others can be forgettable.

Overall, it is a nice addition to the Metal Gear series, a great game in my opinion, not without it's flaws though. Even so, I rate this game a 9/10, you won't be disappointed if you're a Metal Gear fan, or a HnS fan for that matter.
  25. Feb 19, 2013
    I had low expectations regarding this game, despite that it turned out to be amazing. 60 fps non-stop action has some never before seen features. It kept me hooked from start to finish. Story and characters belong in MGS universe. Cheesy but soo good. If you love MGS and open for a new slasher experience don't miss on this game!
  26. Feb 27, 2013
    i feel sad that real gaming critics rate this game so low because they think its broken, the gameplay in rising is leaps and bounds beyond anything else this generation except for platinums bayonetta. I might actually follow the websites that are honoring this game, thank you platinum games along with from soft ware u show me that hardcore gamers will always be appreciated :D
  27. Feb 28, 2013
    This new direction for Metal Gear has the potential for greatness. With more diversity, i.e.,
    open-world exploration, an expanded stealth component, varied locales, etc., this could be
    a top-tier series. The thunderstorm combat in Rising is fast, deep, and strategic. Incredibly fun!
  28. Feb 24, 2013
    So, Platinum Games doing a spin-off of the Metal Gear series, and doing it in a rather controversial stance (as much action as stealth, and even more!!), and for what seems like a game stuck forever in development hell it doesn't really bode well for this game, if you believe the history. So its refreshing then, to find out that Revengeance is not only Platinum Games' first classic titleSo, Platinum Games doing a spin-off of the Metal Gear series, and doing it in a rather controversial stance (as much action as stealth, and even more!!), and for what seems like a game stuck forever in development hell it doesn't really bode well for this game, if you believe the history. So its refreshing then, to find out that Revengeance is not only Platinum Games' first classic title since the mighty mighty Vanquish, its possibly the best title to have come out this year so far!! The graphics are a mix, in that the characters and effects are beautiful, but the backdrops are rather drab, and there are also some moments of pop-in and framerate loss on occasions too. The sound veers between the rather good music, which is standard j-rock, and very good effects. However, the gameplay is where its at!! The gameplay can be played mainly to your desires of out-and-out carnage or stealth (there are moments, especially the bosses, when this cannot be avoided however), and the campaign isn't really that long but in the best traditions of Vanquish, its whats achieved within that short time, and it never bores!! Couple this with the VR missons a clever mix between gradually learning your abilities, and beating your friend's times, and upping your characters stats (surprizingly compulsive might I add), and you have a game that has a genuinely breathtaking amount of depth at times I found myself pondering over my character's abilites in a way similar to Demon's Souls (and thats a compliment by the way). Raiden's first solo spin-off is far from the disappointment that was feared, and Platinum Games have delivered magnificently. It may not be (quite) the visual powerhouse that many may have expected, and no, its not Metal Gear Solid 5 (by any means at all), but its a fun powerhouse of action, and Konami were right in doing this. Severely, recommended. Collapse
  29. Feb 20, 2013
    I'll give this game a 8, but I think 7.5 would be more appropriate.
    The thing is that this game is just silly. It lasts only 4 and a half hours, has very primitive and strange stealth mechanic, but this all is compensated by nice gameplay and engaging music which are both very different then anything series has ever experienced.
    But my personal main problem with the game is the plot and
    I'll give this game a 8, but I think 7.5 would be more appropriate.
    But my personal main problem with the game is the plot and a way it is presented to us...
    Right after Raiden loses his eye and arm to Sam and is left bleeding on a train the chapter ends and right after that next chapter starts with Raiden already rebuilt and ready for action... Why Why couldn't we have seen him in a process of being rebuilt, with Rose and little John come to visit him, with Raiden constantly having dreams of Solidus making him do terrible things WHY It could've add up to the story so many interesting details and drama The same goes for all Desperado LLC. guys... For example Monsoon comes from nowhere, without explaining his own motivations, without giving us at least some details of his backstory Same goes for everyone in this game The game doesn't give you details, doesn't give you those long interesting cutscenes with characters interacting with each other, talking, fighting and what little plot is explained can be explained only through Codec calls which are (thank God) present in here.
    This could have been a much more interesting game if there was more plot, more details, more universe to it. Without this I can't really say this is a good Metal Gear game. Just a good action game in it's own right. That is all there is.
  30. Feb 28, 2013
    This game represents what the current games industry lacks. Everyone is making games more and more mainstream, they take no risks. With Rising, Platinum games went all out making one of the best looking, controlling, sounding (the soundtrack is amazing!!!), and story driven games of quite some time. As a Metal Gear Solid fan this feels true to the Metal Gear universe as well as Raiden.This game represents what the current games industry lacks. Everyone is making games more and more mainstream, they take no risks. With Rising, Platinum games went all out making one of the best looking, controlling, sounding (the soundtrack is amazing!!!), and story driven games of quite some time. As a Metal Gear Solid fan this feels true to the Metal Gear universe as well as Raiden. Anyone who complains obviously forgot Raiden's fight scenes in MGS4 as well as the lack of Solid in the title. I would love to see a sequel to this, it is one of the few games in recent memories that was actually fun to play. A lot of games feel like a chore, lacking inspiration and you just keep pushing yourself playing just so you feel like you don't waste your money. Rising on the other hand I just kept playing, wanting to hear more of the amazing music and take part in more boss battles. The length was also perfect as well, the story kept progressing and didn't outstay it's welcome. Great work Platinum Games and Kojima Productions for making this game come to life. Expand
  31. Feb 20, 2013
    Quality vs Quantity?? We will see how Metal Gear Rising holds up ups.

Quality vs Quantity?? We will see how Metal Gear Rising holds up ups.

First off, Metal Gear Rising: Revengance is the best action game I have ever played. I went into the game withfairly high hopes and expectations, expessally since I heard Platium games was taking of the project. The gameplay is fast paced, fluid, exciting, and engaging. I there so little to be said about the game with giving way huge gameplay spoilers. If you like fun games, Metal Gear fan or Metal Gear fan (everyone likes Metal Gear!). You owe it to yourself to play through this. I felt it was worth the full price tag. I start the game on hard, and it took me about day, clocked at 7 hours (not including my deaths). and the game was actually hard.

Probably what ninja gaiden 3 should have been, But over all, great game. And enjoy
  32. Feb 23, 2013
    It`s very important to understand Metal Gear Rising as an autonomous Universe and not as a part of the Metal Gear Solid Saga himself. That being said, Metal Gear Rising is an outstanding Hack'n'Slay with lots of Action and humor, combined with an awesome Soundtrack for the fluent fighting system and the beautiful visuals. Neither doubt nor fear is left Hideo Kojima still is one of theIt`s very important to understand Metal Gear Rising as an autonomous Universe and not as a part of the Metal Gear Solid Saga himself. That being said, Metal Gear Rising is an outstanding Hack'n'Slay with lots of Action and humor, combined with an awesome Soundtrack for the fluent fighting system and the beautiful visuals. Neither doubt nor fear is left Hideo Kojima still is one of the biggest Masterminds in video game history, who was created a great game for Raiden which he deserves. Expand
  33. Feb 21, 2013
    I think this game was a wonderful piece once again confirming the idea that games are art. The design is flawless. The graphics and gameplay are very well polished. The animations are excellent. People here are just whining because it's too hard for them. I haven't had this much fun in a Metal Gear game for years, and I've been an MG fan for almost 15 years.
  34. Feb 22, 2013
    Take in account that this is not your typical Metal Gear game but that doesn't mean die hard fans of the series should look down on it,this is a extremely fun game with an excellent story and fun hack n' slash gameplay that makes you feel like a cybernetic bad ass while playing it. The soundtrack is awesome and the boss battles are truly epic, on the negative side the camera work canTake in account that this is not your typical Metal Gear game but that doesn't mean die hard fans of the series should look down on it,this is a extremely fun game with an excellent story and fun hack n' slash gameplay that makes you feel like a cybernetic bad ass while playing it. The soundtrack is awesome and the boss battles are truly epic, on the negative side the camera work can cause some issues during fights and can get annoying at some point but nothing to drastically hurt the game also the game is really short and could be finished in a few hours in one sitting. In the end Metal Gear Rising is a pretty solid game! Expand
  35. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A new take on the Metal Gear series... while it's certainly not my favorite of Platinum games (Which for me would be Bayonetta) It certainly keeps you entertained and remains constantly addictive. The combat system is great, decent story still including Metal Gear traditions and it's good to see some old friends return while making new ones. A downfall would be the customization design, especially with outfits. You have to buy amour with BP (Battle Points instead of Drebin Points) even if you've paid extra money for the MGS4 suit or even the ones that come when you Pre-order. The length slightly limits the game but it doesn't make it any less fun. I can't wait for more. Expand
  36. Mar 1, 2013
    the best sword game this gen so far one word describe this hilarious epic game LIGHTNING BOLT
  37. Feb 19, 2013
    Game is fun. Cutting mechanism is as promised. Graphics and animations are ok, only levels designs feel empty and uninspired. Good character creations, feels like Kojima himself put some of his genius into it. There is some atmosphere of MGS frenchise. Combat system is simple, but the trick of zendetsu and arms cutting makes it much more interesting. Its very short, too short. Story is 5-6Game is fun. Cutting mechanism is as promised. Graphics and animations are ok, only levels designs feel empty and uninspired. Good character creations, feels like Kojima himself put some of his genius into it. There is some atmosphere of MGS frenchise. Combat system is simple, but the trick of zendetsu and arms cutting makes it much more interesting. Its very short, too short. Story is 5-6 hours max.
    The game leaves excellent base for slasher of the incoming next gens.
  38. Feb 20, 2013
    This is a solid game (no pun intended). While the camera and dialogue are bad and the game is short, it is still an overall good game. Growing up with boss fights, it is good to see Revengence has some really good ones. The action is overall great. The story and dialogue are no worse than other imported Japanese games. Controls are good once you get used to them. Revengence is and is not aThis is a solid game (no pun intended). While the camera and dialogue are bad and the game is short, it is still an overall good game. Growing up with boss fights, it is good to see Revengence has some really good ones. The action is overall great. The story and dialogue are no worse than other imported Japanese games. Controls are good once you get used to them. Revengence is and is not a Metal Gear game. From the beginning, Kojima said it was an action title. And that is exactly what we got. If they can make the possible sequel longer by at least four hours, fix the camera so it works better and rework the story a bit, the game could be a triple AAA title that can stand on its own. Expand
  39. Feb 19, 2013
    This is a stylist game and i have think the kind of game platinum produces is both good and have the Japanese taste and story that I like. I feel you should definitely buy MGS rising
  40. Feb 19, 2013
    this game is pretttyyy prettyy preetttttyyy good.... i usually dont go for these types of games but i had to get this one, and i do not regret my purchase
  41. Feb 21, 2013
    Awesome. Annoyed by the j-rock at times, and the villains are dumber than usual for this franchise (which is kind of saying a lot)... Really fun gaming, though. Fully lives up to the Metal Gear name. Don't listen to the hate and check it out.
  42. Feb 23, 2013
    A lot of fun to be had here. Finishing off enemies is satisfying. I started on hard, as I typically do with most games, and this game isn't too challenging yet, but that's not to say I haven't died several times. Obviously this is nothing like other Metal Gear games and it isn't supposed to be, so as long as you understand that this is a different type of game entirely you shouldn't beA lot of fun to be had here. Finishing off enemies is satisfying. I started on hard, as I typically do with most games, and this game isn't too challenging yet, but that's not to say I haven't died several times. Obviously this is nothing like other Metal Gear games and it isn't supposed to be, so as long as you understand that this is a different type of game entirely you shouldn't be disappointed by that. I've seen many complaints that it is short, which may be true, but I've already put 10 hours into the game and I'm only on chapter 3. I like to explore, listen to codec conversations (not for too long but but I like to listen for a few minutes here and there) and play the unlockable VR missions as I progress through the game. If you play on a difficulty that's challenging for you and you don't speed through as quick as you can, I suspect the game will last you a good while. If you know that you really enjoy action games like Bayonetta, as I did, then there is a good chance that you will really enjoy this game too. If you're just a Metal Gear fan and are thinking of picking this one up just because it's a Metal Gear game, you might want to try renting it first to see if you're really going to have fun with this. I'm very happy with my day 1 purchase even though I know the price will drop after not too long. From an objective standpoint it's a solid game and worth at least checking out. Expand
  43. Feb 19, 2013
    First at all: Why are all the bad reviews like: "Buy DmC instead". Listen, the reason I buy MGR is because it's the next installment in the Metal Gear Franchise, a franchise which I love, and I won't buy it just to slash some cyborgs, event though it is an adrenaline boost sometimes But let's get to the game: It's good, I actually expected it already after I've completed the demo the 10thFirst at all: Why are all the bad reviews like: "Buy DmC instead". Listen, the reason I buy MGR is because it's the next installment in the Metal Gear Franchise, a franchise which I love, and I won't buy it just to slash some cyborgs, event though it is an adrenaline boost sometimes But let's get to the game: It's good, I actually expected it already after I've completed the demo the 10th time. What I hate about other H&S games is that you focus on the battle, you want the perfect result with that one very difficult combo. It's not like this in MGR. The combat system is simple, but that doesn't mean it's not exciting, the Zan Datsu system is just epic. When you're fighting and you Zan Datsu multiple enemies, or an enemy on a special way (e.g. sliding with parrying) you are just feeling the adrenaline in your body and you will be like, YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. The bosses' personality is inspired from earlier MG games, but fighting them is, obviously, different. Fighting every boss is different because the environment, fighting style of the boss (and the soundtrack on the background is always different. The story is good as well, it's obvious that the ingenius mind of Hideo Kojima is involved with it. You will meet new characters, but encounter old friends as well, but I'm not going to spoil anything. I agree it's a little bit on the short side, but it was not reason for me to not buy it, nor it should for you. Expand
  44. Feb 19, 2013
    Great hack and slash fun, great graphics and smooth 60 fps. I only wish they had stayed with the original project that was MGS: Rising but MGR: Reveangence is a a great game in itself. This is probably the best game that will come out this year.
  45. Mar 9, 2013
    I made a video review for this game, which you can check out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2-ZU0K2VI

The good:
    -Fun
    -The best animation I've seen in a game
    -Amazing character designs
    -Music

The bad:
    -Camera gets wonky
    -The dialogue sucks
    -Voice acting is mediocre
  46. Feb 19, 2013
    this game is just awesome. it is a brand new next generation game concept. it provides plenty of choices and customization. At first, I wasn`t very sure about this, but is KOJIMA, AND KOJIMA NEVER FAILS! Platinum Games takes Metal Gear to a whole new genre with this masterpiece. The blade mechanic is amazing (more accurate and precise than the one in the demo) and the combat is so intese.this game is just awesome. it is a brand new next generation game concept. it provides plenty of choices and customization. At first, I wasn`t very sure about this, but is KOJIMA, AND KOJIMA NEVER FAILS! Platinum Games takes Metal Gear to a whole new genre with this masterpiece. The blade mechanic is amazing (more accurate and precise than the one in the demo) and the combat is so intese. Also, the soundtrack of this game is one of the bes soundtrack I`ve ever heard in a game. JAPAN GAMING LIVES! Expand
  47. Feb 19, 2013
    I like this game, this game is good. Bit short, but massive replay value. It is also fun. Very fun. Tell your friends. 'This game is fun' I like it a lot because there is a lot of fun in it. If you have not guessed, this game is fun. And I think it is fun. I'M GOOD AT REVIEWS!
  48. Feb 19, 2013
    a great game.gameplay is solid with very few minor issues.camera can be an issue sometime but you can work your way around it.codec calls that disrupt your movement also annoyed me.other than these everything else was flawless.the game shines through its combat which is very smooth running on 60fps.combos,skills,extra weapons gives lots to experiment with. you really have to be on alert toa great game.gameplay is solid with very few minor issues.camera can be an issue sometime but you can work your way around it.codec calls that disrupt your movement also annoyed me.other than these everything else was flawless.the game shines through its combat which is very smooth running on 60fps.combos,skills,extra weapons gives lots to experiment with. you really have to be on alert to block attacks or you will die, especially on the harder modes.You cannot button mash through this game especially in revengeance mode where one or two hits can mean death.music is astounding and syncs with the gameplay so well in boss fights,the music amps up as the battles progresses getting you pumped up as the fight ends,wished more developers use music like this. after the main campaign there are plenty of extra unlockables,costumes,vr missions,harder difficulties,and unlocking concept arts.took me 7-8 hrs to beat without listening to the codec calls which will probably add a couple extra more hours as majority of the dialouge in the game is there. H&S fans will love this game and the challenge it brings and metal gear fans should give this a try. Expand
  49. Feb 20, 2013
    An amazing spinoff, with solid graphics, solid game play, and over the top action! A must own for any "true" Metal Gear fan. My dream of playing as a cyborg ninja has final came to fruition :-D Cut through the crap! Don't believe the haters and get this game for what it is...one of the best action games ever made, with one of gaming's greatest characters. Thank you, Hideo and platinum games
  50. Mar 6, 2013
    This is THE game to get for the best action hack and slash this year!
    This is THE game to get for the best action hack and slash this year!
    Yea it might be a little short but within that short time you will be cutting up enemies upside down, battling big ass crazy mecs fighting robotic killer dogs with chainsaws and jumping on missiles to shred choppers. Not to sound like a deranged psycho but It just never gets old cutting enemies up to tine bits and ripping their spine out before they hit the ground. Just get this game!
  51. Feb 26, 2013
    An amazing spinoff game of the legendary Metal Gear series. Has great boss battles, some are easy but some are very challenging, it also have an great battle and boss soundtracks that makes the battle flow better, the graphics is also fantastic and the codec convo's are also pretty interesting. Zandatsu mode can be repetitive but it has its moments. The only downside is the camera, whichAn amazing spinoff game of the legendary Metal Gear series. Has great boss battles, some are easy but some are very challenging, it also have an great battle and boss soundtracks that makes the battle flow better, the graphics is also fantastic and the codec convo's are also pretty interesting. Zandatsu mode can be repetitive but it has its moments. The only downside is the camera, which can be sometimes be annoying but in overall a terrific game. Expand
  52. Mar 11, 2013
    Rising Revengeance is one of those hack and slash action games that appear simple on the surface, until you delve into the juicy depths below. You will start out button spamming your way through fights before learning the inner intricacies of the engine. Blade mode is the most obvious and touted addition, allowing you to manually slice, whilst the action is momentarily stilted. The affectsRising Revengeance is one of those hack and slash action games that appear simple on the surface, until you delve into the juicy depths below. You will start out button spamming your way through fights before learning the inner intricacies of the engine. Blade mode is the most obvious and touted addition, allowing you to manually slice, whilst the action is momentarily stilted. The affects of blade mode depend largely on your suit's power storage. Parrying is also an art worth mastering, though not a complete necessity for completion. As you progress, you gain access to more powerful weapons like a heavy blade for maximum damage, and lighter weapons such as the Sai, which is great for flashy attacks. MGS Rising congeals elements from Platinum's own established slashers like Bayonetta and mixes them with MGS tropes. Where this is most evident is with codec calls and cardboard boxes being used in stealth, meshing with the exhilarating combos of the former. Stealth itself is a minor element in Revengeance, offsetting the base combat. Stealth works very well, and is simple to master- though there are no hidden depths to it, which charge the action in other areas of Revengeance. The game can be visually striking too, with hulking boss battles, which are few, but memorable. The colours bouncing off screen while you fight give the essence of power to your blade thrusting- which looks dazzling in motion. The only dings are that the difficulty spikes on higher settings tend to drag you into frustration, and a main game which is remarkably brief- especially towards the end. But Revengeance is a shining case of quality over quantity, where finesse and skill are rewarded in spades and diligence pays off massively. Expand
  53. May 30, 2013
    The manliest game I have ever played! Addictive! Fun! Entertaining! Running and Slicing everything in to thousand pieces has never been so fun! "Cut at will". Excellent spin-off!! This is a great addition to metal gear games. But it's not perfect. The game is very short but it doesn't feel short because the game evolves itself so often. The story is also pretty weak(like in a action-film)The manliest game I have ever played! Addictive! Fun! Entertaining! Running and Slicing everything in to thousand pieces has never been so fun! "Cut at will". Excellent spin-off!! This is a great addition to metal gear games. But it's not perfect. The game is very short but it doesn't feel short because the game evolves itself so often. The story is also pretty weak(like in a action-film) but still entertaining. But you must remember that Hideo Kojima did not direct and write this one and that is the one main reasons why the story is weak. And just to remind. This is not a metal gear SOLID game just a spin-off and great one. Expand
  54. Mar 6, 2013
    This game deserves a second slice! Metal Gear Rising is pretty fantastic. Boss fights are insane for me, so as VR missions. The graphics looked very sharped! What a Perfect Weapon out of this world! It was very insane for any Metal Gear fan!
  55. Feb 20, 2013
    An awesome game.
    1. Awesome hack n slash gameplay with plenty of stealth segments that pay off if you go through with them.
    2. AMAZING SET PIECES AND QUICK TIME EVENTS THAT DONT SUCK. 3. An incredible soundtrack especially for the epic bosses. 4. Likeable and crazy/funny characters and villians(typical of a metal gear game) AS a huge MGS fan, i love this game. Its awesome being able
    An awesome game.
    2. AMAZING SET PIECES AND QUICK TIME EVENTS THAT DONT SUCK.
    3. An incredible soundtrack especially for the epic bosses.

AS a huge MGS fan, i love this game. Its awesome being able to control every slice of Raidens sword and the over-all high quality of this game is something that you should really check out for yourself. Like hack n slash action? THEN THIS GAME IS A MUST HAVE.
  56. Mar 5, 2013
    The HacknSlash genre, more than any other, represents what video games really are all about, in their purest unadulterated form FUN! Of course, the game needs to not suck, and MGSR is awesome.
  57. Nov 4, 2013
    It's my first Platinum Games' title that I played and its good. I mean it's really good! It has great combat mechanics with awesome blade mode cuts and parrying system that is unforgivable on the hardest difficulty but also makes game really satisfying! Boss battles and music are really great too and it brings more and more ways to beat them if you collect up special items like ID-leftIt's my first Platinum Games' title that I played and its good. I mean it's really good! It has great combat mechanics with awesome blade mode cuts and parrying system that is unforgivable on the hardest difficulty but also makes game really satisfying! Boss battles and music are really great too and it brings more and more ways to beat them if you collect up special items like ID-left hands or data storage chips that unlock new weapons and outfits for Raiden. The storyline is decent but it has many funny connections to Metal Gear Solid games like option to speak to your crew on "codec" while fighting with boss or anywhere else. The only really disadvantage is that the game ends really quickly (about 3-6h, depends on player skill) but still its worth an attention to slasher fans. Expand
  58. Feb 19, 2013
  59. Feb 19, 2013
    WORTH EVERY PENNY! One of the best hack n slash games of this ganeration. So much fun with slashing enemies, environment with you katana blade. Although, don't buy Xbox 360 version if you have PS3. Microsoft console version have worse looking cut scenes than PS 3 version. In terms of gameplay they are the same. 60 FPS of instant action!
  60. Feb 22, 2013
    presentation: 10 control:10 practice perry -and you will love it
    Sound: it does not get better than this--the sound constantly adjust it self to your fighting style.
    gameplay:10 Fun -multiple paths, multiple options of fighting nice backtracking elements,fun score system hidden goodies, unlock ables, very nice replay value. Last comments:this is for MG fans and simply people trying
    presentation: 10 control:10 practice perry -and you will love it
    hidden goodies, unlock ables, very nice replay value.

Last comments:this is for MG fans and simply people trying to get a good action game-it offers a new unique style of game play that allows you to create your own fighting style in the most brutal way.
  61. Feb 20, 2013
    Platinum proves that they can make games. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance seems like it would be a dud. But, this title is definitely worth playing. If you're not entirely sold, just download the demo! I quiet enjoy Raiden as a character and I think he deserved his own title to show a little more on his background. Gameplay Crazy, over the top and absolutely fun! Slicing away at will justPlatinum proves that they can make games. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance seems like it would be a dud. But, this title is definitely worth playing. If you're not entirely sold, just download the demo! I quiet enjoy Raiden as a character and I think he deserved his own title to show a little more on his background. Gameplay Crazy, over the top and absolutely fun! Slicing away at will just never gets tiring.
    Story Raiden is "revealed" and his "jack the ripper" persona gets a little spotlight. A tad short and little bit rushed for me (As I wanted more!!) But, overall a satisfying story.
    Conclusion If you are a little disappointed because it's not a true "Metal Gear" game, well look again. It's not supposed to be true to Metal Gear as Kojima stated it's an entirely new package featuring Raiden. If you are a big hack and slash fan with and love action then this is the game for you!
  62. Feb 19, 2013
    This is a spin off game in the Metal Gear universe. It tells the story of Raiden and his quest for revenge. If anyone has played Bayonetta then your in for a treat because Platinum Games are the developers of Rising. The gamplay itself is unique and awesome and the story is from Kojima. They kept the source material intact unlike what Ninja Theory/Capcom did with DmC, which they crap on itThis is a spin off game in the Metal Gear universe. It tells the story of Raiden and his quest for revenge. If anyone has played Bayonetta then your in for a treat because Platinum Games are the developers of Rising. The gamplay itself is unique and awesome and the story is from Kojima. They kept the source material intact unlike what Ninja Theory/Capcom did with DmC, which they crap on it and threw it out the window and by the way is a terrible hack and slash game compared to MGR....lets just say it doesn't even measure up MGR.... Platinum Games should be the only ones developing Devil May Cry and get the fans what they want. MGR has tons of replay value and is the best hack/slash of 2013...eat it Ninja Theory/Capcom!! Expand
  63. Feb 20, 2013
    Terrible first impression. Dated graphics- how can people think these are good graphics? Look at the ground, look at a wall, look at the majority of objects- these are graphics from 5 years ago. And a bad camera until you get used to it and learn how to lock/unlock as needed. Still a bad camera though. But the gameplay totally gets better and better as time goes on. Get into a zone andTerrible first impression. Dated graphics- how can people think these are good graphics? Look at the ground, look at a wall, look at the majority of objects- these are graphics from 5 years ago. And a bad camera until you get used to it and learn how to lock/unlock as needed. Still a bad camera though. But the gameplay totally gets better and better as time goes on. Get into a zone and just enjoy the sweet spot. Expand
  64. Nov 16, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising is a refreshing entry into the Metal Gear franchise. MGR has some of the best graphics ive seen on a Playstation 3 to date. The combat is addicting, fast and fluid and is the best thing about this game. The beginning of the game is really good, during the middle the action does slow down at times and the story can sometimes seem crazy, but this wouldn't be a Metal GearMetal Gear Rising is a refreshing entry into the Metal Gear franchise. MGR has some of the best graphics ive seen on a Playstation 3 to date. The combat is addicting, fast and fluid and is the best thing about this game. The beginning of the game is really good, during the middle the action does slow down at times and the story can sometimes seem crazy, but this wouldn't be a Metal Gear game without a little craziness. The ending is quite amazing, and the last boss battle is one of the best boss battles ive ever played in any game. I cant wait until Platinum Games make a sequel for this great entry into the Metal Gear franchise. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  65. Mar 4, 2013
    Anyone expecting a traditional Metal Gear game out of Rising, this isn't the game for you. Instead of stealth and sneaking, Rising is a full out action, hack n'slash game. The gameplay is crazy fast and the visuals are stunning. The controls are tight, although it's frustrating there isn't a dedicated block button. Like all Metal Gear games, the plot is involving and deep. The onlyAnyone expecting a traditional Metal Gear game out of Rising, this isn't the game for you. Instead of stealth and sneaking, Rising is a full out action, hack n'slash game. The gameplay is crazy fast and the visuals are stunning. The controls are tight, although it's frustrating there isn't a dedicated block button. Like all Metal Gear games, the plot is involving and deep. The only real complaints I have with this game, are the lousy camera angles and the short length of the game (5-6 hours). Expand
  66. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is not perfect, I am only giving it 10 to offset those idiot who gives it 1 because they judged this game as MGS stealth game. Seriously? You got to live under a rock to not know this is a spin-off action game. And really? You expect a spin-off action game to have an amazing plot?

Anyway, the game itself is just so entertaining. The parry system feels very natural to me. For those of you say you just need to mash button, you suck. Every boss will destroy you if you don't learn their moves time your parry and attack. Button mashing only works on those normal enemies. The game itself is not that long, but there are tons of VR mission and a lot of replay value to unlock all the enhancement and upgrades. I never expected this to be as good as Bayonetta, but I was pleasantly surprised. (Not saying it's better than B, but it's a joy to play). This is a game that everyone should at least try. Well, worth every penny for me (bought it used for $15).
  67. Mar 5, 2013
    the real name for this game should me "fruit ninja 2 mariachi murder town", honestly i really like this game but i just cant take it seriously, nor should it be. anything platinum makes is a work of art in terms of gameplay but even with konami's help the story falls a bit flat. but then again the gameplay is action perfection. so its a trade off. if you love the mgs series story and itsthe real name for this game should me "fruit ninja 2 mariachi murder town", honestly i really like this game but i just cant take it seriously, nor should it be. anything platinum makes is a work of art in terms of gameplay but even with konami's help the story falls a bit flat. but then again the gameplay is action perfection. so its a trade off. if you love the mgs series story and its realism and hate the ridiculous...run...run away from this and never look back. but if you dont mind ridiculous and and want to have a great time with gameplay i highly reccommend this. Expand
  68. May 13, 2013
    As an MGS fan I was really disappointed by the mediocre story and voice acting but the fun gameplay and music still made it an overall pleasant experience. Regarding voice acting, why did they tell Quinton Flynn to use a Christian Bale/Batman voice? It was laughable. Another let down was the character of Sam. They could have made him one of the all-time greats but sadly they failed.As an MGS fan I was really disappointed by the mediocre story and voice acting but the fun gameplay and music still made it an overall pleasant experience. Regarding voice acting, why did they tell Quinton Flynn to use a Christian Bale/Batman voice? It was laughable. Another let down was the character of Sam. They could have made him one of the all-time greats but sadly they failed.

GOOD: Boss fights, music, gameplay.

BAD: Story, Voice acting, game is too short.
  69. Apr 21, 2013
    A worthy addition to the metal gear solid franchise featuring Raiden from MGS2 and 4, living proof that you really can polish a turd with the right materials.
  70. Sep 17, 2013
    The perfect character-action game. The game is short and sweet with the best third-person melee combat that I have experienced in the past 3 years. If you liked Bayonetta (or Vanquish) then you NEED to play this game now.
  71. Aug 19, 2014
    As stupidly hilarious as this silly, yet awesome story is a game about a cyborg ninja killing cyborgs in the future starting as comical and ending... Well it's fun. You can't help but feel engaged and even proud as you play, and the combat is surprisingly really, really creative. This game needs its sales to encourage the trend of smarter combat it has started. I would love to see whereAs stupidly hilarious as this silly, yet awesome story is a game about a cyborg ninja killing cyborgs in the future starting as comical and ending... Well it's fun. You can't help but feel engaged and even proud as you play, and the combat is surprisingly really, really creative. This game needs its sales to encourage the trend of smarter combat it has started. I would love to see where this goes, because the more I learned to abandon my older god of war tactics and learn the tricks of the trade the more I found myself loving it. Simply put, a somewhat short, enjoyably stupid, admittedly bad-ass and curiously intelligent game. Turn your volume up. Expand
  72. Apr 13, 2013
    The game is attempt to see what if Hideo Kojima have a lower participation in Metal Gear games? The answer is: Good a breathtaking action/adventure game with very hard bosses and enemies, many secrets and extras doings, but that does not last long, and is far from be a Hideo Kojima's game, don't meaning that the game is bad. The plot of Rising is great, and nothing more than that,The game is attempt to see what if Hideo Kojima have a lower participation in Metal Gear games? The answer is: Good a breathtaking action/adventure game with very hard bosses and enemies, many secrets and extras doings, but that does not last long, and is far from be a Hideo Kojima's game, don't meaning that the game is bad. The plot of Rising is great, and nothing more than that, comparing with MGS1, MGS2 or MGS3, for don't be too complicated and interpretative, but contents a theme to debate: the Revenge. The graphics are not too good, having a lot of knurled images and animations, but the CG is from a good quality. The game's duration takes a place in 7-12 hours of game-play, depending if you want to make 100%, if you want to take the Platinum Trophy, you can do it within 17, being very determined. For the MGS fans, is a must buy, for the Hack n' Slash fans, play the demo, and make your opinion, and for anyone looking for a good plot, buy, I can ensure that you are not wasting money. Expand
  73. Oct 13, 2013
    The Best Hack n Slash game of 2013. This game is much more accessible to the ones new to the genre and the boss battles make god of war bosses pale in comparison. Sure the graphics may not be high end, but the gameplay is so satisfying and the soundtrack is amazing. After playing the game, my workout playlist were filled with MGR's soundtrack
    The game may not be as intricate and in-depth
    The game may not be as intricate and in-depth as DMC4 and Bayonetta, but what it aims for it totally nails it. The game is a little short but the added difficulties and VR is quite good addition.
    This spinoff to MGS is totally worth your time and money. This game is the very definition of hype.
  74. Apr 11, 2013
    First of all, no, this is not the Metal Gear you are used to. No Tactical Espionage Action. But this doesn't mean it's a bad game!

I really enjoyed the game. It's nice to see a game that challenges people to use skill instead of button-mashing the hell out of the controller. Really liked the cinematic feel of the cut-scenes and i especially enjoyed the boss-battles. The shortcomings

The shortcomings of the game is maybe that it is a bit short. Still, a enjoyable experience that gets your blood flowing and puts your skills to test.

Hoping for a second game of the series!
  75. wou
    Jul 20, 2013
    melhor metal gear de longe
    amantes do antigo metal gear podem falar oq for.. mas esse metal gear mostrou oq um jogo de verdade.. sem blablabla, sem enrolação, sempre indo direto ao ponto
  76. Apr 9, 2013
    Hands down, we already know the name of the best action game of the year. Exaggerating much? I'm not. This game, although not following the same concept as the Solid Series, managed somehow to feel in essence like a metal gear game.

Codecs? You got it. 540 of them. Stealth? Not as deep, but it's there nonetheless. Silly humor? You got it. All in together with a fresh action packed

Codecs? You got it. 540 of them.
    Stealth? Not as deep, but it's there nonetheless.
    Silly humor? You got it.

All in together with a fresh action packed experience, making of Rising unique in its own rights.
    The fast paced gameplay may not be as deep as the likes of Bayonetta and the old DMC games, but feel fluid as much. Te story is silly, unnecessary even. Hm, what's about again? I can't tell, but I don't care. The game kept me busy enough with the awesome bosses fights followed by a KICKASS SOUNDTRACK.
  77. Mar 28, 2013
    Bottom Line: This is the answer to all of those suffering with ADHD out in the gaming world. Revengeance is a comical hack and slash that has addictive combat mechanics and a high paced story line that is just as over the top as Raiden's high heels. The good: I went into this game expecting a fun experience and what I got was a high paced action packed thrill ride roller coaster that hadBottom Line: This is the answer to all of those suffering with ADHD out in the gaming world. Revengeance is a comical hack and slash that has addictive combat mechanics and a high paced story line that is just as over the top as Raiden's high heels. The good: I went into this game expecting a fun experience and what I got was a high paced action packed thrill ride roller coaster that had me glued to my console for the next 5 hours, which unfortunately means that I finished the game. However, despite its short story I never felt like my time was wasted, but more so time well spent in what was a beautiful mix of over the top action with enough of a serious tone to make you actually believe that raiden is trying to do the impossible even if you think the plot is as silly as this game's name. Another praise worthy note for this game is that there is not much hand holding, your success as Raiden is completely dependent on how much time you take to learn how to combo and link attacks, parry and dodge in what is a master mix of violence. The bad: I mention this in the good section, but this game is just really short, which is a disappointment, but then again I certainly can't imagine how any game team could successfully maintain the type of pace revengeance sets. All good things come to an end. In addition, while the box was a nice touch to fans of the franchise it didn't fit well with the pace of the story and if Kojima was trying to set a different tone with this game I have to question why they decided to add stealth elements. Expand
  78. Mar 19, 2013
    MGR:R is presented as a fast paced action game, set in the Metal Gear universe, with insanely accurate slicing mechanics. It is exactly that. Sleek and smooth, this game offers something that has never been done, and it does it very well. I haven't seen action so smooth as well as fast paced since the original God of War. The experience draws from the mythos of the Metal Gear Universe, andMGR:R is presented as a fast paced action game, set in the Metal Gear universe, with insanely accurate slicing mechanics. It is exactly that. Sleek and smooth, this game offers something that has never been done, and it does it very well. I haven't seen action so smooth as well as fast paced since the original God of War. The experience draws from the mythos of the Metal Gear Universe, and it ties it all in brilliantly with this kind of game. The main character is presented as a badass, and that is one thing I felt throughout my entire experience with this game. Bad Ass. I think after playing MGS4, seeing raiden's new look, we all wanted to see where the series would take him. What we have been given is better than anything I would've imagined. If the short length deters you, I beg of you, don't let it. This game is made for Hardcore gamers, through and through. It stays true to it's roots, while offering something fresh and new to an already established franchise. Final Verdict- Pros- Insanely Accurate Swordplay Cutting Mechanics are Fluid, Flawless, and Extremely Fun Hack N' Slash Gameplay Molded Seamlessly with Tactical Strategy VR Missions are Fun with More On The Way Through DLC Brilliant Depiction of the Metal Gear Universe Offers Something Brand New and Innovative to Gaming Musical Score Helps to Ramp Up The Action 60 FPS Gameplay Keeps You Focused on The Action Cons- Iffy Camera Sometimes Takes Away from the Experience A Completion time of 4 8 Hours, Just Left Me Craving More Expand
  79. Mar 4, 2013
    Introduction: Metal Gear Rising has so far been met with positive reviews from critics and fans. The average critic has rated the game an 8.3 and fans have rated it an 8.2. I (being a fans of the Metal Gear Series since Metal Gear Solid 3) rented this game to see if it would live up to expectations. It did this and so much more.

Presentation: Metal Gear Rising is a hack and slash

Presentation: Metal Gear Rising is a hack and slash game which branches off from the traditional stealth action of the other Metal Gear games. Although it may be deceiving (Metal Gear hack and slash?) this game is presented in a cool way. You take control of Raiden, the cyborg ninja from Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4. The events of this game take place after all of the other games and the story is a bit random. Although the story was a bit random, the story is told in an amazing way. The story draws you in and makes you feel for these characters. The story and its presentation as a whole were perfect, keeping me playing from beginning to end. 10/10

Graphics: Metal Gear Rising had some good graphics. The problem i had with the graphics is the fact that they didn't not seem to be any better then the amazing graphics of Metal Gear Solid 4 a couple years back (2008). Since Metal Gear Solid 4 was made 5 years ago near the beginning of the Playstation 3, I expected these graphics to be top notch. I was disappointed that they did not live up to that expectation. With that said, the graphics were by no means bad. Graphics were very good any many things looked real but it didn't reach my expected expectations. Characters for the most part seemed to look real and Raiden looked very cool. 9/10

Sound: The Soundtrack to this game deserves 11/10 just for how cool it was but because of other aspects of sound, it doesn't receive a perfect score. Every song used in this game was absolutely flawless. Each song made each battle (especially the battle against a electronic wolf) seem more intense and fun. The music makes every battle seem more important then the last. The negativity against the sound comes from the voice acting. Some voice actors just sucked. To explain, some characters just seemed like cliche remakes of other characters from the series. Only a few characters had great voice actors such as Jetstream Sam, Raiden and BladeWolf. One of the worse voice actors was the voice of a young foreign boy who instead of sounding foreign, just sounded really stupid and ignorant. The sound was the best and worst things of the game. Bellow is an example of the awesome music but bad voice acting. 9/10

Gameplay: The gameplay for Metal Gear Rising is fantastic. Every fight feels new, refreshing and so entertaining. I felt cool fighting in every battle, whether I was fighting giant metal gears or small hand machines (no way to describe). The only thing one has to do to have a perfect gameplay experience is to get past the learning curve. The learning curve in this game is learning the parry system. It may take a few minutes to learn but once it is learned, parrying makes the game not only fun but a lot easier as well. If you cannot learn the parry, then let the raging begin. I suggest downloading the free demo and testing the parry system before playing the full game itself. Once learned, the gameplay is perfect. 10/10

Entertainment: This game was extremely fun. I experienced high levels of rage during 1 particular boss that I continued to die against but besides that, the game was one of the most entertaining games I have played in a long time. 10/10

Replay Value: Like my last game I played (devil may cry) this depends on the kind of person you are. To me, the story was better in Metal Gear Rising but had less things to offer replay wise while DMC offered many different difficulties. Metal Gear Rising gives you more weapons each time you play but like DMC, it is always the same thing again. Although I loved this game and personally could play it again, I would not want to play it over and over again. 5/10

Verdict: Every fan of the Metal Gear series and hack and slash fans: PLAY THIS GAME NOW. Call of Duty fanboys: AVOID THIS GAME. If you have patience, this game is an absolute play. Total rating 8.5/10

Suggested Price: Walmart offers this game for $60 dollars and it includes the game soundtrack. That is defiantly worth the price. If you buy the game from gamestop, wait until it goes down to $40. If you only want to play it once for the story, Rent It. I rented the game and beat it in a days time. This game is worth a try.
  80. Apr 8, 2013
    Great game! Very addicting! There really is not much to criticize about it except that the camera angle can sometimes be in your way during boss battles. I would categorize the game as one of those more challenging games which is one of the reason it always motivates me to upgrade my weapons to conquer the enemies with a sense of accomplishment.
  81. Mar 13, 2013
    I've never been a hater of Raiden, but also not thie biggest fan. He never rubbed me the wrong way. MGR:R shows the potential Raiden has carrying his own series...and he can. I consider this game a teaser though. It IS short, and the graphics are great, despite the environment being on the bland side. The game is definately ambitious though, and the free slicing has TONS of potentialI've never been a hater of Raiden, but also not thie biggest fan. He never rubbed me the wrong way. MGR:R shows the potential Raiden has carrying his own series...and he can. I consider this game a teaser though. It IS short, and the graphics are great, despite the environment being on the bland side. The game is definately ambitious though, and the free slicing has TONS of potential for future Raiden titles. The Metal Gear series EASILY has the best Bosses/Boss battles in gaming history by a long shot. That's where Revengeance falls a little short. This is due to there not being much background or introductions to them, and they're VERY difficult until you figure out, "wow, THAT'S what you gotta do." The bosses did have the MGS feel to them, and starting with Monsoon, were UBER DIFFICULT. It took me about 30 tries to defeat him and the following ones, and that was just on normal. My biggest complaint though is the lack of health regeneration items. Trying to defeat the later bosses with just 1, even on normal, is insane. All in all, it's very SOLID, and can be summed up as a cool Cyborg Fruit Ninja. That's a compliment. Expand
  82. Mar 19, 2013
    One of the most entertaining fast paced action games since Bayonetta that unfortunatley is plagued by the most infuriating and messed up camera I have ever experienced in a game. The reactive combat and need to be very precise with your input on higher difficulties makes the game very satisfying to play, but when the camera goes bonkers just because the enemies forces you to consecutivelyOne of the most entertaining fast paced action games since Bayonetta that unfortunatley is plagued by the most infuriating and messed up camera I have ever experienced in a game. The reactive combat and need to be very precise with your input on higher difficulties makes the game very satisfying to play, but when the camera goes bonkers just because the enemies forces you to consecutively parry and get pushed into the corner makes the game very annoying at the times this happen. The story is more than ok for this type of game and fits nicely into the MG-universe with a corrupt faction hiding behind the law to create a PMC-army for their own agenda. The lack of depth behind all the characters is a bit sad, but to be expected from an action game. Would've been nice to have more fleshed out dialgoues between more characters than only Raiden and the one he calls over the codec, also there is barely any mentioning of any characters personal life.

Solid action game that will fall speak to anyone who enjoy difficult, but not unfair, action games.
  83. Mar 21, 2013
    Formerly planned as a Kojima product, Metal Gear Rising (also known as Metal Gear Solid: Rising) was doomed to never see the light of the day. Because Hideo Kojima had to focus on the main Series, he scraped the idea with Rising. But, the game was also in developement. So much work for nothing? Eventually, Platinum Games (Bayonetta) has taken over the boat, and finished the game. But itFormerly planned as a Kojima product, Metal Gear Rising (also known as Metal Gear Solid: Rising) was doomed to never see the light of the day. Because Hideo Kojima had to focus on the main Series, he scraped the idea with Rising. But, the game was also in developement. So much work for nothing? Eventually, Platinum Games (Bayonetta) has taken over the boat, and finished the game. But it dosen't look like the version Kojima has planned. Rising was planned as a more Action oriented Stealh Game. Also, the whole Beta Stuff showed a lot more gory game. You should also know, the original Story was set after Sons of Liberty.

The final product became a very good game. In other words, it's totally "Solid", even without a Snake in the game. The Action is one of the finest in this Genre for the current Generation. The graphics are detailed (when there is much Action, even Hollywood will say: Chapeau!). The citys are all a bit empty, there is a soul missing. Making them look like abandoned ghost towns.

The Boss Battles are also very unique. They're totally challenging even in the normal mode. Absolute praise goes out to the Soundtrack played when you fight a Boss. This will definitely push you even more.

The overall playtime is a bit short. On the easy mode, you can finish the game in under 5 hours. But there are so many collectibles, you will definitely come back for another playthrough. Don't forget to mention the VR Missions. And there are a lot.

Verdict:

Raiden was a good character long before Guns of the Patriots and Rising. In Sons of Liberty, his Character was doomed because of the fame of Solid Snake. Kojima did not kill Raiden. He likes him, and he made him for the second time the main protagonist of a game. Making him one of the most Bad Ass Cyborg in Gaming history. 8/10

Trivia:

The planned main character was the famous Gray Fox. That idea was scrapped. At least, you can play as Gray Fox via the downloadable costume.
  84. Mar 24, 2013
    This is my first review so I apolgize if it's a little long. Despite only having played 2 MGS games, namely Portable Ops and Peace Walker, I found that this game's plot was easy to understand and had very few references or spoilers to previous MGS games. Most people here and in other sites are giving this game a bad name, but I would like to correct this bad opinion. Let's start with theThis is my first review so I apolgize if it's a little long. Despite only having played 2 MGS games, namely Portable Ops and Peace Walker, I found that this game's plot was easy to understand and had very few references or spoilers to previous MGS games. Most people here and in other sites are giving this game a bad name, but I would like to correct this bad opinion. Let's start with the story (not giving out too many spoilers), it follows Raiden, the ninja turned cyborg from MGS 4 (who was also a child soldier in Liberia) who has joined a private military company (PMC) called Maverick Security. He is disgraced and humiliated after a mission to protect the prime minister of a country in Africa fails and ends with the prime minister being assassinated by another PMC known as Desperado. Raiden then embarks on a quest of vengeance, trying to stop Desperado's plot and also trying to keep his inner demons at bay. Like all MGS games there is a large amount of cutscenes that help move the story along. In one level especially, you'll find yourself feeling just like Raiden, questioning the morality of your actions, and even feeling sorry for the nameless other cyborgs you slaughter. In short, Raiden, despite being a powerful cyborg ninja, is quite a relatable character. For gameplay on the other hand, it's very fast-paced and full of action, especially with Blade Mode, which slows down time and allows you to slice enemies into pieces. Raiden can also perform a "zandatsu" in which after slicing a precise area of the enemy's body, he can pull out their spines and consume it for health and energy. One of my complaints is that the parrying movement is sort of confusing at first and in my opinion they should've just made it a one button counter (just as in Arkham City). Also, there is also a "stealth" mechanic to appease long-time fans of the series, but since Raiden is a cuborg ninja with a sword, the stealth mechanic's pretty useless and is something we can do without in future games. Unfortunately, the game only lasted about 6-7 hours, and, being a gamer who loves to play long games, was pretty disappointed that I couldn't do more other than replay the missions and have some VR training. I played this game on PS3, the graphics were amazingly detailed, both in cutscenes and actual gameplay. I just wish they could've added more ambience to the dull environment, or at least made the areas more open-ended. Overall, Metal Gear Rising is a great game, the PROs being great graphics, interesting storyline, character, and fun gameplay, the CONs being confusing parry mechanic, short game (6-7 hours), little replayability value, and dull environment. Expand
  85. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is just flat out fun. Combat is not as deep as DmC or other hack n slash games but it is still fluid and chopping enemies never gets old. The story is lacking which is a misstep considering how many things they could have done story wise. I probably wouldn't go out and purchase this till a price drop though, I went through it in about 5 hours.
  86. May 2, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising: Reveangeance is one of the most epic games of 2013 and my entry into the Metal Gear franchise, even though Metal gear Rising is shorter than i expected it is a awesome game worthy a purchase and also slo-mo slice and dice, if you want a great hack and slash game i recommend this game
  87. Apr 12, 2013
    Platinum games does it again, this game demolishes DmC in terms of combos, variety and fluid action.
    The new zan-datsu mechanic is amazing. Can't wait to see what they do in MGR2.
  88. Apr 8, 2013
    Metal gear rising is a impressive game that takes place 14 years after the guns of the patriots campaign the gameplay is fast intense and will keep you on your toes with incredible attack animations But the game is lacking in freedom of movement and some interesting events being left in the shadows like raidens transformation and since this is a metal gear game. I was hoping that thereMetal gear rising is a impressive game that takes place 14 years after the guns of the patriots campaign the gameplay is fast intense and will keep you on your toes with incredible attack animations But the game is lacking in freedom of movement and some interesting events being left in the shadows like raidens transformation and since this is a metal gear game. I was hoping that there would be a evade or dodge button that could help casual players if the new guard scheme was complicated or just plain stupid Boss battles are epic and includes flashy quick time events and a decent challenge from the expendable cyborgs
    You will encounter in the game. Metal gear rising also has a new blade mode that allows you too cut through anything and adds replayability too the game along side the fun vr missions that gives the player more of a challenge giving you set objectives but out of all that I was hoping the game could be longer ad some cameos would have been nice .
  89. Apr 26, 2013
    i do really like the cutting system on the game, i never had interested on MGS until i played this game (it's just because not really the type of my games). sadly, it's short, but it's worth the time i spend and makes you feel awesome! i replay it since i love the feel of cutting stuff, simple, kinda able to release your stress, and loving all the awesome choreography and cut scenes.
  90. Apr 27, 2013
    The game is fantastic, if a little short. It is what it is, simply an action game, the dialogue/story is hilariously bad, but it didn't bother me too much as i'm not a die-hard fan of the franchise. 1 major gripe, which is absolutely, categorically, giving me the is the camera. I H-A-T-E the camera, majority of the time the camera is more dangerous than the enemies are (other than theThe game is fantastic, if a little short. It is what it is, simply an action game, the dialogue/story is hilariously bad, but it didn't bother me too much as i'm not a die-hard fan of the franchise. 1 major gripe, which is absolutely, categorically, giving me the is the camera. I H-A-T-E the camera, majority of the time the camera is more dangerous than the enemies are (other than the Mastiffs... those things), otherwise, it's a TONNE of fun, slicing up in blade mode never gets old, heaps of upgrades to keep you replaying it, vr missions are a good challenge, boss battles are loads of fun. Thoroughly recommend! Just try not to break your controller when camera ****s you in the ass Expand
  91. May 4, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is a fun game especially if you like hack-slash games like devil may cry. Just to be clear you don't have to play any other Metal Gear games to know what is going on, this is a completely different story. First of all the music in this game is very solid it settles the atmosphere very successfully and the Blade-mode is soo much fun, you can literally cutMetal Gear Rising Revengeance is a fun game especially if you like hack-slash games like devil may cry. Just to be clear you don't have to play any other Metal Gear games to know what is going on, this is a completely different story. First of all the music in this game is very solid it settles the atmosphere very successfully and the Blade-mode is soo much fun, you can literally cut every single body part in half, it gives you tons of satisfaction when you cut someone in half with your blade. Bossfights are a lot of fun and your biggest foe who fought you at the beggining of the game, beating the sh'' out of you is well made. On the other hand, voice acting and the wonky camera is my only complain, if the could fix the camera which is one of the most important aspect in the hack-slash game, this game would have a higher score. Overall, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is a great addition to the series but it is not replacing other metal gear games, it's a new series(just to clerify), with a great music and the solid gameplay this game is a must buy.

*SORRY FOR ANY SPELLING MISTAKES, OR ANY OTHER MISTAKES*
  92. Jun 30, 2013
    The Good:Graphics,Jack The ripper,enemies,bosses,story.,music!,ending.
    Bad:George style,PC release..
    The Good:Graphics,Jack The ripper,enemies,bosses,story.,music!,ending.
    Bad:George style,PC release..

This game is nearly perfect finally Raiden unleashed his true nature self Jack the ripper,we play an anti hero this is actually a pretty fantastic! and rare! and it would be greater if he later change to be a same as Solidus snake was until jack die.George was irritating by the way of he speaking.PC release a big negative this game should exist only for consoles.The ending was perfect.
  93. Jun 9, 2013
    I was very happy with this Metal Gear spin off and hope to see more installments of this game from Platinum Games. To me the game play and story over powered the negatives such as the game being too short and the camera angel at times being unpredictable. Although the game was short, with the reattempts in each chapter had it actually last about the length of any other game. The gameI was very happy with this Metal Gear spin off and hope to see more installments of this game from Platinum Games. To me the game play and story over powered the negatives such as the game being too short and the camera angel at times being unpredictable. Although the game was short, with the reattempts in each chapter had it actually last about the length of any other game. The game keeps track of the time spent playing, but doesn't take into account the time of failed attempts in chapters or checkpoints, and it does not include the cut scene in that time. Once I finished the game it said I beat it in 5 hours but reality was that it took me closer to 10 hours to complete. As far as the camera angle being sporadic, it only behaved that way when too close to a wall and would do a 180 degree turn to look at the character but at the wall as well. This was only a problem when i was hugging the walls in attempt to stealth at certain parts. But once I realized and understood what caused this was able to adapt my playing to prevent that camera behavior; and did it without sacrificing the experience of the game. Overall I loved the game and beat it three times in a row and still am trying to unlock certain collectibles and new weapons so continue to replay certain chapters. Now I have about 20 hours of gaming attributed to this game, and don't regret a moment of it. Plus the DLC's available are short but give great insight into the world and help expand the experience that most people complained was too short. The mechanics and the game play are so amazing to me it was effortless to forget or not noticed any shortcomings. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys hack'n slash, and are Metal Gear fans looking for something different in the beloved universe. Expand
  94. Jun 13, 2013
    Makes up for Raiden being a complete b*tch in MGS2, he's actually badass in this. Music is really cool too. The campaign is a bit too short and when the story tries to be serious, its a bit stupid considering how silly the story is, but overall a really good game, Platinum fkin rule!!!
  95. Jun 24, 2013
    this game was awesome it is challenging and is as good is easily one of the best hack and slash games this year and is on par with the new Devil May Cry
  96. Jul 24, 2013
    Definitely one of the best hack'n'slash I have ever played! The story is engaging and interesting. The Blade Mode is Awesome! Hard difficulties are actually hard. The Graphics look great. My only gripes are: somewhat glitchy camera and a short Story.

IMHO, this is a must-have for all the Hack'n'Slash fans!
  97. Jul 25, 2013
    First of all this isn't a MGS game. This has nothing to do with rifles,pistols or stealth. This is a well made hack and slash game. The game is a bit repetitive when there isn't a boss fight. But those 5 bosses are extrelemely well-designed. And also cutting an enemy in a blade mode is hell of a fun. Hack and slash lovers DO NOT MISS THIS GAME!
  98. Dec 21, 2014
    After being bought back from the brink of death multiple times, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance finally releases. Despite not following the typical Metal Gear formula, Rising manages to find a new formula of it's own, and surprisingly enough, it manages to succeed, despite some hiccups along the way.

Revengeance takes place after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4, and Raiden, still a cyborg ninja, now works for a paramilitary division to support his family. Unfortunately, while on an operation to defend a VIP, Raiden is ambushed by a rival Paramilitary group who disagrees with the VIPs moves for peace. They manage to successfully assassinate the VIP while simultaneously humiliating Raiden in a crushing defeat. He is then rebuilt with a new and improved Cyborg body to carry out revenge against the paramilitary lieutenants that killed the VIP.

The first preface I must address is if you're expecting the gameplay shown in Kojima's original demos several years ago, you're gonna be disappointed. With the new developer, everything from the gameplay to the story has been tweaked or changed completely since that time. It's not the same game.

With that out of the way, the gameplay essentially turns out to a standard hack and slash with a few tweaks. You use the square and triangle button to use using light and heavy attacks, and if you have an alternate weapon, that weapon takes the place of the heavy attack. It sounds standard, but Rising has two new mechanics that make it stand out from your typical hack and slash title. The first of which is parrying.

What makes parrying stand out is how useful, unique, but frustrating it can be all at the same time. The blocking mechanic is activated by pressing the light attack button while also flicking the left stick in the direction of the attacker. Doing this puts Raiden into a blocking stance, allowing him to stop enemy attacks. It's takes some getting used to it, and you'll get stomped on by your enemies at the start because of it, but when you do master it, the mechanic becomes second hand for the most part.

I say for the most part because of this mechanic's frustration, which is the warning flash you get from enemies. When an enemy executes an attack, a red flash will appear letting you know to parry, and if the attack can't be parried, the flash will instead be orange. The main problem with the flash is the lack of consistency. Some attacks, despite being unblockable, will flash red, fooling you into blocking and taking an attack head on as a result. It also doesn't help that sometimes one flash will count for 5 consecutive attacks, so you'll block for one not knowing that you need to actually block for more. This inconsistency leads some of your hits being cheap or unfair, and frustrating as a result.

If you do block successfully though, you'll activate the Rising's second unique mechanic; blade mode. When the prompt appears, time will slow down, allowing you to control Raiden's sword directly and choose what and where to cut. Most enemies will have a weak spot that - if you cut correctly - will allow you to absorb the enemies core, restoring your health and energy completely. It's addicting and does help alleviate some of the frustrations with parrying, since any damage done to you is quickly rectified.

Ultimately, the main highlight of Rising are the amazing boss fights, which are these adrenaline-fueled battles where blade mode is used creatively to take your foe down. Each fight is incredibly fun, well thought out, and unique. Sure, all the before mentioned problems are present in some of the fights (the last one especially), but it doesn't take away from how truly epic each encounter is, and they all give you a new weapon after they're done.

The drive behind the story motivating Raiden to go forward though, is honestly a little convoluted. What starts as a simple revenge story of bad guys vs. good guys quickly changes to stopping the harvest of children's brains (I'm not kidding), to stopping a high ranking official from starting wars to create peace. The main gripe is that the story seems to be all over the place, but it's something Metal Gear fans should expect.

The game itself looks okay, but none of the graphics are very impressive .With drab environments and boring level design, nothing in this game will catch your eye and make you stop to look at it. Surprisingly though, the game manages to run at a consistent 60 frames per second which is impressive for how fast paced it is.

The biggest complaint is how short the game is. Even on hard, this game will take five hours max to finish. However, there is a lot of replay value, including upgrades and extra moves for your standard weapon as well as the weapons you unlock from boss fights. Plus, there are lots of unlockables, VR missions, and difficulties.

Ultimately, this game is fun, and most Metal Gear fans will like it. As for hack and slash fans who want something fresh, look no further than here.
  99. Jan 9, 2014
    I have played this game, way too much. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is one of the most satisfying hack 'n' slash game I have played. Not quite as good as DMC4, but still amazing nevertheless. You play as cyborg Raiden, which was one of the things I wished was in MGS4, and it is a truly great game. First visuals, it looks great. Controls are really good. My only complaint is when you'reI have played this game, way too much. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is one of the most satisfying hack 'n' slash game I have played. Not quite as good as DMC4, but still amazing nevertheless. You play as cyborg Raiden, which was one of the things I wished was in MGS4, and it is a truly great game. First visuals, it looks great. Controls are really good. My only complaint is when you're playing on higher difficulties you'll feel that some of the controls (mainly blocking) are poorly programmed that can lead to some really cheap hits if you're attempting you're Stormbringer playthrough. Combat is satisfying because you have a sword that can actually cut through stuff. This idea is made more noticeable through Blade Mode where you can slash any enemy into nothing, or rip out their spines, either or depends on your preferences. The soundtrack is the best thing to come out of 2013 in terms of music. Each song is fitting to each scenario. The boss themes match the fights exactly and each make the fight more memorable. Boss fights are still top notch, maybe even a little better then the MGS series because of the emphasis on sword play. My favorite boss is easily Monsoon, a magnetized cyborg that appears in chapter 3. As an introduction to Platinum Games, I am thoroughly impressed and will now be keeping a close eye out for Bayonetta, all thanks to the combat system. Now for the plot. It has its problems although minute in some cases. The plot follows Raiden as he goes to stop one private military corporation from training children's brains to become cyborg soldiers. This then leads into a conspiracy that leads up to the US Congress. The plot didn't come around until chapter 2. Despite this, it does look into the issue of child soldiers, which is still a pressing issue. People complain about how long the MGS cutscenes are, but I think they would agree that MGRR could use some long cutscenes as well as more. It could easily use an additional 2 hours in cutscenes, that way, it can really flesh out the characters. One example is the rival called Jetstream Sam. He disgraces Raiden in the prologue chapter, disappears, reappears in chapter 3 , disappears again, then you fight him in chapter 6. I feel that if they gave him another 30 minutes in cutscenes in other chapters, it would add to the fight with him and make it a more satisfying fight. It's also a short game, ranging to between 6 and 8 hours of gameplay. I felt as though they should have expanded the gameplay by up to four hours, making it so that you can enjoy testing the new skills you've earned against tougher scenarios. It would have fleshed out the combat a lot more too. The game also includes easily one of the hardest difficulty setting that I have played on, Revengeance mode. That mode, will teach why the game is called Revengeance and it will put your skills to the test. Overall, I'm giving this game 8.7/10. It's a good game, but die hard fans of Metal Gear may not like the heavy combat, so to them I recommend borrowing or renting the game before buying it. To hack 'n' slash fans, enjoy cutting through everything. Expand
  100. Mar 28, 2014
    I was afraid of the story, everywhere you read that it isn't that good, but trust me it's fun. The fights are brilliant, parry or die, use your brain or your lightning fingerreflexes. It's a smart game that demands mastering. Now I feel a little bit like the good old Gray Fox.
  101. Feb 24, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2013
    Improvements need to be made, but Metal Gear Rising has already established itself to be an action game well worth buying.
  2. Fact is, when Revengeance is firing on all cylinders it’s a great, albeit short (six hours, tops) action game. [April 2013, p78]
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    Its shortness will dissuade many, but cut deeper and an innovative parry system impresses. [Apr 2013, p.70]