7.8

1. Feb 19, 2013
    this game proves once again that platinum can make an over the top crazy action game its a great spin off to a great series. if mgs fans dont like it there is ground zeroes to look forward to but in the mean time you can enjoy this crazy fuelled game
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Long review incoming.

Long review incoming.

First of all, ignore some of the reviews here, it's happening the same thing as DmC, but unfortunately the DmC fanboys are butthurt their game is "decent" at best so they have to come here and bash this game. Now for the review itself, the game will be worth your time. It is around 6-8 hours long, not too long yes, and you'll see around 4-5 hours total time in the end result, but that's simply because the game doesn't count restarts, so it's like you never died and did everything perfect, which is pretty impossible. So yeah, everyone is assuming, even "professional reviewers", that the game is only 3-4 hours long, when it simply isn't.

The game runs at 60fps and looks really nice, visual wise the game is really good, nothing bad about it.
    Another point is the camera. It isn't that great, but people simply need to learn how to use the damn right analog stick, and it'll be ok.

The combat is alright, it's fast and full of action. Combos aren't perfect, but they're good enough. There's a counter function, which works as intended, and a dodge, although it could've been better implemented. I don't like how once you get unique weapons, you use them with a dedicated button (as in, Square will light attack with the HF Blade and Triangle will use the unique weapon) and it's not a full replacement.
    Blade mode is fun, and a great addition. Who doesn't like to cut people into bits? :D

Boss battles are amazing. They're really intense and the music in them really gets you pumped.
    Speaking of music, it is amazing. It's obviously different from past Metal Gear games, and as such, it fits in perfectly.

The story is good, it happens 3 years after the events of MGS4, although I'm gonna be honest and say I expected atleast a reference to Solid Snake in a cutscene or codec, or maybe Otacon, seeing as Sunny is in. Some characters are interesting, mainly bosses, while a few others can be forgettable.

Overall, it is a nice addition to the Metal Gear series, a great game in my opinion, not without it's flaws though. Even so, I rate this game a 9/10, you won't be disappointed if you're a Metal Gear fan, or a HnS fan for that matter.
  3. Feb 19, 2013
    I had low expectations regarding this game, despite that it turned out to be amazing. 60 fps non-stop action has some never before seen features. It kept me hooked from start to finish. Story and characters belong in MGS universe. Cheesy but soo good. If you love MGS and open for a new slasher experience don't miss on this game!
  4. Feb 19, 2013
    Absolutely awesome when i played the demo of this my hopes where really high and they did not disappointing raiden is a great lead and he controls so well. Platinum games did so well and the sword gameplay is so well done. The game also still keeps the mgs feel.
  5. Feb 19, 2013
    a great game.gameplay is solid with very few minor issues.camera can be an issue sometime but you can work your way around it.codec calls that disrupt your movement also annoyed me.other than these everything else was flawless.the game shines through its combat which is very smooth running on 60fps.combos,skills,extra weapons gives lots to experiment with. you really have to be on alert toa great game.gameplay is solid with very few minor issues.camera can be an issue sometime but you can work your way around it.codec calls that disrupt your movement also annoyed me.other than these everything else was flawless.the game shines through its combat which is very smooth running on 60fps.combos,skills,extra weapons gives lots to experiment with. you really have to be on alert to block attacks or you will die, especially on the harder modes.You cannot button mash through this game especially in revengeance mode where one or two hits can mean death.music is astounding and syncs with the gameplay so well in boss fights,the music amps up as the battles progresses getting you pumped up as the fight ends,wished more developers use music like this. after the main campaign there are plenty of extra unlockables,costumes,vr missions,harder difficulties,and unlocking concept arts.took me 7-8 hrs to beat without listening to the codec calls which will probably add a couple extra more hours as majority of the dialouge in the game is there. H&S fans will love this game and the challenge it brings and metal gear fans should give this a try. Expand
  6. Feb 19, 2013
    this game is just awesome. it is a brand new next generation game concept. it provides plenty of choices and customization. At first, I wasn`t very sure about this, but is KOJIMA, AND KOJIMA NEVER FAILS! Platinum Games takes Metal Gear to a whole new genre with this masterpiece. The blade mechanic is amazing (more accurate and precise than the one in the demo) and the combat is so intese.this game is just awesome. it is a brand new next generation game concept. it provides plenty of choices and customization. At first, I wasn`t very sure about this, but is KOJIMA, AND KOJIMA NEVER FAILS! Platinum Games takes Metal Gear to a whole new genre with this masterpiece. The blade mechanic is amazing (more accurate and precise than the one in the demo) and the combat is so intese. Also, the soundtrack of this game is one of the bes soundtrack I`ve ever heard in a game. JAPAN GAMING LIVES! Expand
  7. Feb 19, 2013
    This is a stylist game and i have think the kind of game platinum produces is both good and have the Japanese taste and story that I like. I feel you should definitely buy MGS rising
  8. Feb 19, 2013
    I like this game, this game is good. Bit short, but massive replay value. It is also fun. Very fun. Tell your friends. 'This game is fun' I like it a lot because there is a lot of fun in it. If you have not guessed, this game is fun. And I think it is fun. I'M GOOD AT REVIEWS!
  9. Feb 19, 2013
  10. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is stellar. This may be the fastest action game ever created (and that's a good thing) The heavy metal soundtrack only intensifies this, but the real star of the game is the ridiculously triumphant boss encounters. These are so epic and insane that I found myself explaining each one to my wife (who could care less) pantomiming katana strikes and all. If you like feeling like theThis game is stellar. This may be the fastest action game ever created (and that's a good thing) The heavy metal soundtrack only intensifies this, but the real star of the game is the ridiculously triumphant boss encounters. These are so epic and insane that I found myself explaining each one to my wife (who could care less) pantomiming katana strikes and all. If you like feeling like the ultimate badass, are a metal gear fan, or just plain love good, old school action games, go get this now! Expand
  11. Feb 26, 2013
    It last "only" for 6 hours, but the whole game is packed with action, solid graphics, great sound and music, amazing fastpaced gameplay and a intresting albeit sometimes silly story with links to actual events.
  12. Feb 19, 2013
    this game is pretttyyy prettyy preetttttyyy good.... i usually dont go for these types of games but i had to get this one, and i do not regret my purchase
  13. Feb 21, 2013
    Awesome. Annoyed by the j-rock at times, and the villains are dumber than usual for this franchise (which is kind of saying a lot)... Really fun gaming, though. Fully lives up to the Metal Gear name. Don't listen to the hate and check it out.
  14. Feb 19, 2013
    WORTH EVERY PENNY! One of the best hack n slash games of this ganeration. So much fun with slashing enemies, environment with you katana blade. Although, don't buy Xbox 360 version if you have PS3. Microsoft console version have worse looking cut scenes than PS 3 version. In terms of gameplay they are the same. 60 FPS of instant action!
  15. Feb 22, 2013
    presentation: 10 control:10 practice perry -and you will love it
    Sound: it does not get better than this--the sound constantly adjust it self to your fighting style.
    gameplay:10 Fun -multiple paths, multiple options of fighting nice backtracking elements,fun score system hidden goodies, unlock ables, very nice replay value. Last comments:this is for MG fans and simply people trying
    presentation: 10 control:10 practice perry -and you will love it
    hidden goodies, unlock ables, very nice replay value.

Last comments:this is for MG fans and simply people trying to get a good action game-it offers a new unique style of game play that allows you to create your own fighting style in the most brutal way.
  16. Feb 20, 2013
    Platinum proves that they can make games. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance seems like it would be a dud. But, this title is definitely worth playing. If you're not entirely sold, just download the demo! I quiet enjoy Raiden as a character and I think he deserved his own title to show a little more on his background. Gameplay Crazy, over the top and absolutely fun! Slicing away at will justPlatinum proves that they can make games. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance seems like it would be a dud. But, this title is definitely worth playing. If you're not entirely sold, just download the demo! I quiet enjoy Raiden as a character and I think he deserved his own title to show a little more on his background. Gameplay Crazy, over the top and absolutely fun! Slicing away at will just never gets tiring.
    Story Raiden is "revealed" and his "jack the ripper" persona gets a little spotlight. A tad short and little bit rushed for me (As I wanted more!!) But, overall a satisfying story.
    Conclusion If you are a little disappointed because it's not a true "Metal Gear" game, well look again. It's not supposed to be true to Metal Gear as Kojima stated it's an entirely new package featuring Raiden. If you are a big hack and slash fan with and love action then this is the game for you!
  17. Feb 23, 2013
    MG Rising, the newest game in the Metal Gear franchise, is an amazing and fun title, standing out for both its unique style and gameplay within the series or out of it.
    Story and Presentation: MGR is set in the near future (2018), four years since the events of MGS4, with Raiden serving as the main protagonist. The story of MGR and its characters is nice and well written, though it is easily one of the game's weakest points, as the story becomes more and more confusing, but that only helps MGR to develop Raiden's character. The whole story was just made to make Raiden more BADASS, and believe me, it succeed. Some points do fall short because of the story's length, and it somehow make me feel that the game is rushed 9.
    Graphics: MGR looks great, although the graphics are not ground-breaking as previous MG titles. The whole environment is so detailed and the character models look nice. There are still some screen-tearing moments, but that's alright 9.
    Soundtrack: The game's soundtrack is top-notch. The game's rocky/metal music is fitting to the whole atmosphere of the game, and it helps making you feeling so pumped while playing. Voice acting is amazing. 10.
    Gameplay Awesome swordplay and fast-action moves, MGR is so fast and f*cking fun. Hostile AI is (almost) perfect, and the game's bosses are cool, though I can say that the sole reason they exist is to make the gameplay more fun. Blade Mode is a very fun feature. *spoilers*Reaper Mode is insane*spoilers* There are still several issues with countering (AKA Parring), secondary weapons, and camera angles, but that's not stopping me from giving a 10.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is short, with the story lasting for only 6 hours at the best. HOWEVER, there are unlockable VR missions to complete and the whole story combined with insane, f*ckin' fast gameplay is just so much fun that you must replay the singleplayer more than once. 8.5
    Final score is 9.3, but I have to go with "9" (damn you MetaCritic)
  18. Feb 20, 2013
    An amazing spinoff, with solid graphics, solid game play, and over the top action! A must own for any "true" Metal Gear fan. My dream of playing as a cyborg ninja has final came to fruition :-D Cut through the crap! Don't believe the haters and get this game for what it is...one of the best action games ever made, with one of gaming's greatest characters. Thank you, Hideo and platinum games
  19. Feb 23, 2013
    A lot of fun to be had here. Finishing off enemies is satisfying. I started on hard, as I typically do with most games, and this game isn't too challenging yet, but that's not to say I haven't died several times. Obviously this is nothing like other Metal Gear games and it isn't supposed to be, so as long as you understand that this is a different type of game entirely you shouldn't beA lot of fun to be had here. Finishing off enemies is satisfying. I started on hard, as I typically do with most games, and this game isn't too challenging yet, but that's not to say I haven't died several times. Obviously this is nothing like other Metal Gear games and it isn't supposed to be, so as long as you understand that this is a different type of game entirely you shouldn't be disappointed by that. I've seen many complaints that it is short, which may be true, but I've already put 10 hours into the game and I'm only on chapter 3. I like to explore, listen to codec conversations (not for too long but but I like to listen for a few minutes here and there) and play the unlockable VR missions as I progress through the game. If you play on a difficulty that's challenging for you and you don't speed through as quick as you can, I suspect the game will last you a good while. If you know that you really enjoy action games like Bayonetta, as I did, then there is a good chance that you will really enjoy this game too. If you're just a Metal Gear fan and are thinking of picking this one up just because it's a Metal Gear game, you might want to try renting it first to see if you're really going to have fun with this. I'm very happy with my day 1 purchase even though I know the price will drop after not too long. From an objective standpoint it's a solid game and worth at least checking out. Expand
  20. Feb 19, 2013
    First at all: Why are all the bad reviews like: "Buy DmC instead". Listen, the reason I buy MGR is because it's the next installment in the Metal Gear Franchise, a franchise which I love, and I won't buy it just to slash some cyborgs, event though it is an adrenaline boost sometimes But let's get to the game: It's good, I actually expected it already after I've completed the demo the 10thFirst at all: Why are all the bad reviews like: "Buy DmC instead". Listen, the reason I buy MGR is because it's the next installment in the Metal Gear Franchise, a franchise which I love, and I won't buy it just to slash some cyborgs, event though it is an adrenaline boost sometimes But let's get to the game: It's good, I actually expected it already after I've completed the demo the 10th time. What I hate about other H&S games is that you focus on the battle, you want the perfect result with that one very difficult combo. It's not like this in MGR. The combat system is simple, but that doesn't mean it's not exciting, the Zan Datsu system is just epic. When you're fighting and you Zan Datsu multiple enemies, or an enemy on a special way (e.g. sliding with parrying) you are just feeling the adrenaline in your body and you will be like, YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. The bosses' personality is inspired from earlier MG games, but fighting them is, obviously, different. Fighting every boss is different because the environment, fighting style of the boss (and the soundtrack on the background is always different. The story is good as well, it's obvious that the ingenius mind of Hideo Kojima is involved with it. You will meet new characters, but encounter old friends as well, but I'm not going to spoil anything. I agree it's a little bit on the short side, but it was not reason for me to not buy it, nor it should for you. Expand
  21. Feb 19, 2013
    This is a spin off game in the Metal Gear universe. It tells the story of Raiden and his quest for revenge. If anyone has played Bayonetta then your in for a treat because Platinum Games are the developers of Rising. The gamplay itself is unique and awesome and the story is from Kojima. They kept the source material intact unlike what Ninja Theory/Capcom did with DmC, which they crap on itThis is a spin off game in the Metal Gear universe. It tells the story of Raiden and his quest for revenge. If anyone has played Bayonetta then your in for a treat because Platinum Games are the developers of Rising. The gamplay itself is unique and awesome and the story is from Kojima. They kept the source material intact unlike what Ninja Theory/Capcom did with DmC, which they crap on it and threw it out the window and by the way is a terrible hack and slash game compared to MGR....lets just say it doesn't even measure up MGR.... Platinum Games should be the only ones developing Devil May Cry and get the fans what they want. MGR has tons of replay value and is the best hack/slash of 2013...eat it Ninja Theory/Capcom!! Expand
  22. Feb 21, 2013
    Been quite the year already for off the wall hack and slash games, and this one is closely on par with DmC. Like much of the other hardcore MGS fans, I found this new direction hard to choke back at first but it fits with Raiden and brings some really neat mechanics to the hack and slash genre in general. Graphics are decent but have moments of looking a tad dated and I felt Raiden lookedBeen quite the year already for off the wall hack and slash games, and this one is closely on par with DmC. Like much of the other hardcore MGS fans, I found this new direction hard to choke back at first but it fits with Raiden and brings some really neat mechanics to the hack and slash genre in general. Graphics are decent but have moments of looking a tad dated and I felt Raiden looked different than in previous MGS games but meh not terribly important. The story slowy dilutes into your typical outlandish Metal Gear war theme and is quite linear which is expected. As much of the other reviews have stated as well, the environments are quite bland in most situations and the minor stealth aspects should have never been put in to begin with. Enemy AI is about on par with Turning Point and that is far from a complement. And if you haven't played that game, I envy you. All in all a bold attempt by KojiPro and Platinum and in the end it shaped up to be a lot better than what I think people had expected. Worth a rent or borrow it from a friend, an absolute buy for those who are MGS loyalists! Expand
  23. Feb 19, 2013
    Great hack and slash fun, great graphics and smooth 60 fps. I only wish they had stayed with the original project that was MGS: Rising but MGR: Reveangence is a a great game in itself. This is probably the best game that will come out this year.
  24. Mar 6, 2013
    As long time MG fan, i feel this is a very good entry into the series's already decorated history. Graphically, character models are top-notch. The Art style as intriguing as ever, boasting some of the most Uniquely designed enemies you'll encounter, visually and in function. Visuals are especially impressive in regards to handling the frame rate well despite the wild amount of acceleratedAs long time MG fan, i feel this is a very good entry into the series's already decorated history. Graphically, character models are top-notch. The Art style as intriguing as ever, boasting some of the most Uniquely designed enemies you'll encounter, visually and in function. Visuals are especially impressive in regards to handling the frame rate well despite the wild amount of accelerated action that takes place. As expected, the Action level is far higher than the Snake installments; even past Raiden segments are idle in comparison. Controls are solid, what you can expect from a Team Ninja action title. (Compare to DMC). This combat flow is definitely the fastest thus far. Love the Ninja-Run feature, as it allows Raiden to easily navigate all terrain and any geometrical obstacles, adding a necessary smoothness to his mobility. Weapons are fun to use and learning the combos is worth it. Upgrades are meaningful. Enemies are fierce and satisfyingly competitive. Hard Mode) The boss battles are the game's best offerings, providing rewarding challenge and visual spectacles that won't come close to disappointing you. The camera may only be an issue for the unsavvy.

The story is as cheesy as every other Metal Gear. Still, fun and masterfully written. Codec conversations provide interesting dialogues. Neglecting those would mean missing some of the best writing in the game. Great game overall for fans of the genre and should satisfy most Metal Gear enthusiast. 9/10
  25. Apr 6, 2013
    Short... Biggest downfall. But with that said. Take an action game of 10 hours shrink it to 5 and make it non-stop go go go... Add in insane fights and a psychotic hero makes me smile inside. Riaden has redeemed himself and for the first time a MGS game spin-off that is enjoyable.
  26. Feb 27, 2013
    i feel sad that real gaming critics rate this game so low because they think its broken, the gameplay in rising is leaps and bounds beyond anything else this generation except for platinums bayonetta. I might actually follow the websites that are honoring this game, thank you platinum games along with from soft ware u show me that hardcore gamers will always be appreciated :D
  27. Mar 6, 2013
    This is THE game to get for the best action hack and slash this year!
    This is THE game to get for the best action hack and slash this year!
    Yea it might be a little short but within that short time you will be cutting up enemies upside down, battling big ass crazy mecs fighting robotic killer dogs with chainsaws and jumping on missiles to shred choppers. Not to sound like a deranged psycho but It just never gets old cutting enemies up to tine bits and ripping their spine out before they hit the ground. Just get this game!
  28. Feb 24, 2013
    So, Platinum Games doing a spin-off of the Metal Gear series, and doing it in a rather controversial stance (as much action as stealth, and even more!!), and for what seems like a game stuck forever in development hell it doesn't really bode well for this game, if you believe the history. So its refreshing then, to find out that Revengeance is not only Platinum Games' first classic titleSo, Platinum Games doing a spin-off of the Metal Gear series, and doing it in a rather controversial stance (as much action as stealth, and even more!!), and for what seems like a game stuck forever in development hell it doesn't really bode well for this game, if you believe the history. So its refreshing then, to find out that Revengeance is not only Platinum Games' first classic title since the mighty mighty Vanquish, its possibly the best title to have come out this year so far!! The graphics are a mix, in that the characters and effects are beautiful, but the backdrops are rather drab, and there are also some moments of pop-in and framerate loss on occasions too. The sound veers between the rather good music, which is standard j-rock, and very good effects. However, the gameplay is where its at!! The gameplay can be played mainly to your desires of out-and-out carnage or stealth (there are moments, especially the bosses, when this cannot be avoided however), and the campaign isn't really that long but in the best traditions of Vanquish, its whats achieved within that short time, and it never bores!! Couple this with the VR missons a clever mix between gradually learning your abilities, and beating your friend's times, and upping your characters stats (surprizingly compulsive might I add), and you have a game that has a genuinely breathtaking amount of depth at times I found myself pondering over my character's abilites in a way similar to Demon's Souls (and thats a compliment by the way). Raiden's first solo spin-off is far from the disappointment that was feared, and Platinum Games have delivered magnificently. It may not be (quite) the visual powerhouse that many may have expected, and no, its not Metal Gear Solid 5 (by any means at all), but its a fun powerhouse of action, and Konami were right in doing this. Severely, recommended. Expand
  29. Feb 24, 2013
    This is the Vanquish of 3rd person action games. It will be equally hated by those ignorant gamers that play a game for 20 minutes and say "this sucks" or those that have a hard time learning new skills.
    The real action gamer will discover what its all about, and know its another great Platinum game that will be played many, many times.
  30. Feb 28, 2013
    This game represents what the current games industry lacks. Everyone is making games more and more mainstream, they take no risks. With Rising, Platinum games went all out making one of the best looking, controlling, sounding (the soundtrack is amazing!!!), and story driven games of quite some time. As a Metal Gear Solid fan this feels true to the Metal Gear universe as well as Raiden.This game represents what the current games industry lacks. Everyone is making games more and more mainstream, they take no risks. With Rising, Platinum games went all out making one of the best looking, controlling, sounding (the soundtrack is amazing!!!), and story driven games of quite some time. As a Metal Gear Solid fan this feels true to the Metal Gear universe as well as Raiden. Anyone who complains obviously forgot Raiden's fight scenes in MGS4 as well as the lack of Solid in the title. I would love to see a sequel to this, it is one of the few games in recent memories that was actually fun to play. A lot of games feel like a chore, lacking inspiration and you just keep pushing yourself playing just so you feel like you don't waste your money. Rising on the other hand I just kept playing, wanting to hear more of the amazing music and take part in more boss battles. The length was also perfect as well, the story kept progressing and didn't outstay it's welcome. Great work Platinum Games and Kojima Productions for making this game come to life. Expand

1. Apr 9, 2013
    Improvements need to be made, but Metal Gear Rising has already established itself to be an action game well worth buying.
  2. Fact is, when Revengeance is firing on all cylinders it’s a great, albeit short (six hours, tops) action game. [April 2013, p78]
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    Its shortness will dissuade many, but cut deeper and an innovative parry system impresses. [Apr 2013, p.70]