7.8

1. Feb 19, 2013
    this game proves once again that platinum can make an over the top crazy action game its a great spin off to a great series. if mgs fans dont like it there is ground zeroes to look forward to but in the mean time you can enjoy this crazy fuelled game
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    As long time MG fan, i feel this is a very good entry into the series's already decorated history. Graphically, character models are top-notch. The Art style as intriguing as ever, boasting some of the most Uniquely designed enemies you'll encounter, visually and in function. Visuals are especially impressive in regards to handling the frame rate well despite the wild amount of acceleratedAs long time MG fan, i feel this is a very good entry into the series's already decorated history. Graphically, character models are top-notch. The Art style as intriguing as ever, boasting some of the most Uniquely designed enemies you'll encounter, visually and in function. Visuals are especially impressive in regards to handling the frame rate well despite the wild amount of accelerated action that takes place. As expected, the Action level is far higher than the Snake installments; even past Raiden segments are idle in comparison. Controls are solid, what you can expect from a Team Ninja action title. (Compare to DMC). This combat flow is definitely the fastest thus far. Love the Ninja-Run feature, as it allows Raiden to easily navigate all terrain and any geometrical obstacles, adding a necessary smoothness to his mobility. Weapons are fun to use and learning the combos is worth it. Upgrades are meaningful. Enemies are fierce and satisfyingly competitive. Hard Mode) The boss battles are the game's best offerings, providing rewarding challenge and visual spectacles that won't come close to disappointing you. The camera may only be an issue for the unsavvy.

The story is as cheesy as every other Metal Gear. Still, fun and masterfully written. Codec conversations provide interesting dialogues. Neglecting those would mean missing some of the best writing in the game. Great game overall for fans of the genre and should satisfy most Metal Gear enthusiast. 9/10
  3. Feb 24, 2013
    This is the Vanquish of 3rd person action games. It will be equally hated by those ignorant gamers that play a game for 20 minutes and say "this sucks" or those that have a hard time learning new skills.
    The real action gamer will discover what its all about, and know its another great Platinum game that will be played many, many times.
  4. Feb 24, 2013
    Metal Gear rising is almost perfect for what it is. There were only a few issues with the game. The camera could be really annoying at times, the length was far too short for a metal gear game and the story just didn't hold as much weight with you as a metal gear "solid" game. As far as positives go however, this game was so fun I'll actually play through it again and i never do that withMetal Gear rising is almost perfect for what it is. There were only a few issues with the game. The camera could be really annoying at times, the length was far too short for a metal gear game and the story just didn't hold as much weight with you as a metal gear "solid" game. As far as positives go however, this game was so fun I'll actually play through it again and i never do that with games. The graphics were cool, the soundtrack was really unique and i promise you have never played a sword game like this before...ever. Platinum Games did an awesome job with the blade mode.

I'm personally not regretting my purchase of this game. It was exactly what video games are supposed to be; clever ideas and tons of fun.
  5. Mar 1, 2013
    This game is straight to the point, without much ado, like ninja gaiden in their glory days, the story is not as impressive as that of MGS4 but it's a good excuse to get out slicing everything.
  6. Feb 25, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising is a great addition to the series. platinum games have done a great job of creating a first class game based around sword skills and martial arts weapons like Raidens default nano energy sword, sai swords, 3 section staff/ long pole and more than likely a few more i have not yet seen. The game allows you too upgrade weapons armor and skills by using the points scored inMetal Gear Rising is a great addition to the series. platinum games have done a great job of creating a first class game based around sword skills and martial arts weapons like Raidens default nano energy sword, sai swords, 3 section staff/ long pole and more than likely a few more i have not yet seen. The game allows you too upgrade weapons armor and skills by using the points scored in a mission too buy the upgrades. The better your score the quicker you can upgrade. Metal gear rising is a challenge even on normal difficulty at first you will die a lot especially on boss fights but as you learn and progress when you finally beat the boss or enemy that was causing you all the grief. you feel you have mastered raidens skills and this is were the addiction factor kicks in trying to beat previous area best scores. Some reviews said the game was very short but its actually not that short and with different weapons to collect as well as battle armors/cyborg suits that have different skill stats attached the replay value is high. The story is one of political intrigue mixed with raidens back story and the morals of war. (No Spoilers) The graphics look great and the game runs at a smooth 60fps. This is a next gen game running on this gens tech. The destruction engine that is used to count how many pieces an object gets cut into works great and you even spend time chopping wood just too see how many pieces you can cut it into. Metal gear rising game of a thousand cuts. Platinums best yet. if you like swordplay games with a decent story this game is highly recommended there is nothing else like it available this gen. Expand
  7. Feb 25, 2013
    I start with bad sides:
    1. Camera. luckily Lock-On compensates it somewhat but not enough to make it good. 2. Side Characters. Sorry, they are not very interesting or appealing. Luckily their impact on story is very minor.
    I start with bad sides:
    3. Humor. I loved over the top stuff. I loved humor in Bayo. Here it felt somewhat forced. Now those 3 thing aside, I try to describe good sides. 1. Combat. It's very intense and fun. I don't understand how some people called it shallow or whatsoever. Experimentation with unique weapons adds depth and customizable moves add sweet flavor to it.
    2. Enemy variety and AI. The game isn't very long, but enemies are coming in many different forms and are far from being shallow shells, staying and waiting on your punishment.
    3. Difficulty. Maybe I'm not as good in this game Back than I was able to make it through Bayo without much trouble) but here skill is required on different level. IT's mix of NG and Vanquish. NG's combat and Vanquish's speed.
    4. Eye candy. Game looks awesome with non stop effects and cool animations. And what's really made my day: no pixelated shadows by PS3. Pixelated shadows nowadays is common in many games, but here they managed to avoid them altogether. 5. Story. Behind absurd over the top story hides pretty thick and engaging story that I haven't expected at first.
    6. BOSSES! Yes, they are the kings of this game. I haven't enjoyed boss fights so much for a very long time. And they really made it more than worth. 7. Exploration. Hidden areas, collectibles and funny nods to MGS made it re-playability even more engaging. In the end it's 9/10 for me. Aside from 3 things I mentioned at the beginning, 2 of them pretty subjective, I found game is more than enjoyable and I'll be glad to see sequel to it!
  8. Mar 5, 2013
    Honestly at first, I only considered getting this game to spite Capcom and Ninja Theory for DmC. Then I actually watched a preview of the game. Let me tell you, I've never played any of the other MG games, So I can't speak from a hardcore MG fans perspective. But I can speak from the perspective of a hardcore hack n' slash fan. Metal Gear Rising is amazing, it has everything a hack n'Honestly at first, I only considered getting this game to spite Capcom and Ninja Theory for DmC. Then I actually watched a preview of the game. Let me tell you, I've never played any of the other MG games, So I can't speak from a hardcore MG fans perspective. But I can speak from the perspective of a hardcore hack n' slash fan. Metal Gear Rising is amazing, it has everything a hack n' slash game should have. The gameplay is fluid and fun, tons of action, the soundtrack is amazing, and I know a lot of hardcore MG fans don't like him, but I freakin love Raiden, My only criticism is the game's a little short. But whatever, it has replay value Expand
  9. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am currently in the mists of playing this game and from what i have seen it is a revamp version of metal gear, in the cool way featuring cyborgs, and a hack and slash ninja theme. the graphics are immense in my opinion the game play may feel a little repetitive to some with only having a few attack combos to choose from but that's all made up for with the gore and violence of the new and improved raiden :D. I played metal gear solid sons of liberty and when playing as raiden i was so bummed out i felt i would have been better playing a female character as she would have been more macho, but after playing this game i have total respect for him now he comes across so much more confident and more prepared for battle. From the story aspect im a little unsure its a little hazy to start of but as i progress the story is starting to unfold so i can not really comment much. but over all a visually stunning, hack and slash ninja game that is enjoyable by new to the metal gear series as well as metal gear followers looking for something new. Expand
  10. Feb 26, 2013
    It last "only" for 6 hours, but the whole game is packed with action, solid graphics, great sound and music, amazing fastpaced gameplay and a intresting albeit sometimes silly story with links to actual events.
  11. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is stellar. This may be the fastest action game ever created (and that's a good thing) The heavy metal soundtrack only intensifies this, but the real star of the game is the ridiculously triumphant boss encounters. These are so epic and insane that I found myself explaining each one to my wife (who could care less) pantomiming katana strikes and all. If you like feeling like theThis game is stellar. This may be the fastest action game ever created (and that's a good thing) The heavy metal soundtrack only intensifies this, but the real star of the game is the ridiculously triumphant boss encounters. These are so epic and insane that I found myself explaining each one to my wife (who could care less) pantomiming katana strikes and all. If you like feeling like the ultimate badass, are a metal gear fan, or just plain love good, old school action games, go get this now! Expand
  12. Feb 23, 2013
    MG Rising, the newest game in the Metal Gear franchise, is an amazing and fun title, standing out for both its unique style and gameplay within the series or out of it.
    Story and Presentation: MGR is set in the near future (2018), four years since the events of MGS4, with Raiden serving as the main protagonist. The story of MGR and its characters is nice and well written, though it is easily one of the game's weakest points, as the story becomes more and more confusing, but that only helps MGR to develop Raiden's character. The whole story was just made to make Raiden more BADASS, and believe me, it succeed. Some points do fall short because of the story's length, and it somehow make me feel that the game is rushed 9.
    Graphics: MGR looks great, although the graphics are not ground-breaking as previous MG titles. The whole environment is so detailed and the character models look nice. There are still some screen-tearing moments, but that's alright 9.
    Soundtrack: The game's soundtrack is top-notch. The game's rocky/metal music is fitting to the whole atmosphere of the game, and it helps making you feeling so pumped while playing. Voice acting is amazing. 10.
    Gameplay Awesome swordplay and fast-action moves, MGR is so fast and f*cking fun. Hostile AI is (almost) perfect, and the game's bosses are cool, though I can say that the sole reason they exist is to make the gameplay more fun. Blade Mode is a very fun feature. *spoilers*Reaper Mode is insane*spoilers* There are still several issues with countering (AKA Parring), secondary weapons, and camera angles, but that's not stopping me from giving a 10.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is short, with the story lasting for only 6 hours at the best. HOWEVER, there are unlockable VR missions to complete and the whole story combined with insane, f*ckin' fast gameplay is just so much fun that you must replay the singleplayer more than once. 8.5
    Final score is 9.3, but I have to go with "9" (damn you MetaCritic)
  13. Feb 21, 2013
    Been quite the year already for off the wall hack and slash games, and this one is closely on par with DmC. Like much of the other hardcore MGS fans, I found this new direction hard to choke back at first but it fits with Raiden and brings some really neat mechanics to the hack and slash genre in general. Graphics are decent but have moments of looking a tad dated and I felt Raiden lookedBeen quite the year already for off the wall hack and slash games, and this one is closely on par with DmC. Like much of the other hardcore MGS fans, I found this new direction hard to choke back at first but it fits with Raiden and brings some really neat mechanics to the hack and slash genre in general. Graphics are decent but have moments of looking a tad dated and I felt Raiden looked different than in previous MGS games but meh not terribly important. The story slowy dilutes into your typical outlandish Metal Gear war theme and is quite linear which is expected. As much of the other reviews have stated as well, the environments are quite bland in most situations and the minor stealth aspects should have never been put in to begin with. Enemy AI is about on par with Turning Point and that is far from a complement. And if you haven't played that game, I envy you. All in all a bold attempt by KojiPro and Platinum and in the end it shaped up to be a lot better than what I think people had expected. Worth a rent or borrow it from a friend, an absolute buy for those who are MGS loyalists! Expand
  14. Apr 6, 2013
    Short... Biggest downfall. But with that said. Take an action game of 10 hours shrink it to 5 and make it non-stop go go go... Add in insane fights and a psychotic hero makes me smile inside. Riaden has redeemed himself and for the first time a MGS game spin-off that is enjoyable.
  15. Feb 19, 2013
    Absolutely awesome when i played the demo of this my hopes where really high and they did not disappointing raiden is a great lead and he controls so well. Platinum games did so well and the sword gameplay is so well done. The game also still keeps the mgs feel.
  16. Feb 19, 2013
    Long review incoming.

Long review incoming.

First of all, ignore some of the reviews here, it's happening the same thing as DmC, but unfortunately the DmC fanboys are butthurt their game is "decent" at best so they have to come here and bash this game. Now for the review itself, the game will be worth your time. It is around 6-8 hours long, not too long yes, and you'll see around 4-5 hours total time in the end result, but that's simply because the game doesn't count restarts, so it's like you never died and did everything perfect, which is pretty impossible. So yeah, everyone is assuming, even "professional reviewers", that the game is only 3-4 hours long, when it simply isn't.

The game runs at 60fps and looks really nice, visual wise the game is really good, nothing bad about it.
    Another point is the camera. It isn't that great, but people simply need to learn how to use the damn right analog stick, and it'll be ok.

The combat is alright, it's fast and full of action. Combos aren't perfect, but they're good enough. There's a counter function, which works as intended, and a dodge, although it could've been better implemented. I don't like how once you get unique weapons, you use them with a dedicated button (as in, Square will light attack with the HF Blade and Triangle will use the unique weapon) and it's not a full replacement.
    Blade mode is fun, and a great addition. Who doesn't like to cut people into bits? :D

Boss battles are amazing. They're really intense and the music in them really gets you pumped.
    Speaking of music, it is amazing. It's obviously different from past Metal Gear games, and as such, it fits in perfectly.

The story is good, it happens 3 years after the events of MGS4, although I'm gonna be honest and say I expected atleast a reference to Solid Snake in a cutscene or codec, or maybe Otacon, seeing as Sunny is in. Some characters are interesting, mainly bosses, while a few others can be forgettable.

Overall, it is a nice addition to the Metal Gear series, a great game in my opinion, not without it's flaws though. Even so, I rate this game a 9/10, you won't be disappointed if you're a Metal Gear fan, or a HnS fan for that matter.
  17. Feb 19, 2013
    I had low expectations regarding this game, despite that it turned out to be amazing. 60 fps non-stop action has some never before seen features. It kept me hooked from start to finish. Story and characters belong in MGS universe. Cheesy but soo good. If you love MGS and open for a new slasher experience don't miss on this game!
  18. Feb 27, 2013
    i feel sad that real gaming critics rate this game so low because they think its broken, the gameplay in rising is leaps and bounds beyond anything else this generation except for platinums bayonetta. I might actually follow the websites that are honoring this game, thank you platinum games along with from soft ware u show me that hardcore gamers will always be appreciated :D
  19. Feb 24, 2013
    So, Platinum Games doing a spin-off of the Metal Gear series, and doing it in a rather controversial stance (as much action as stealth, and even more!!), and for what seems like a game stuck forever in development hell it doesn't really bode well for this game, if you believe the history. So its refreshing then, to find out that Revengeance is not only Platinum Games' first classic titleSo, Platinum Games doing a spin-off of the Metal Gear series, and doing it in a rather controversial stance (as much action as stealth, and even more!!), and for what seems like a game stuck forever in development hell it doesn't really bode well for this game, if you believe the history. So its refreshing then, to find out that Revengeance is not only Platinum Games' first classic title since the mighty mighty Vanquish, its possibly the best title to have come out this year so far!! The graphics are a mix, in that the characters and effects are beautiful, but the backdrops are rather drab, and there are also some moments of pop-in and framerate loss on occasions too. The sound veers between the rather good music, which is standard j-rock, and very good effects. However, the gameplay is where its at!! The gameplay can be played mainly to your desires of out-and-out carnage or stealth (there are moments, especially the bosses, when this cannot be avoided however), and the campaign isn't really that long but in the best traditions of Vanquish, its whats achieved within that short time, and it never bores!! Couple this with the VR missons a clever mix between gradually learning your abilities, and beating your friend's times, and upping your characters stats (surprizingly compulsive might I add), and you have a game that has a genuinely breathtaking amount of depth at times I found myself pondering over my character's abilites in a way similar to Demon's Souls (and thats a compliment by the way). Raiden's first solo spin-off is far from the disappointment that was feared, and Platinum Games have delivered magnificently. It may not be (quite) the visual powerhouse that many may have expected, and no, its not Metal Gear Solid 5 (by any means at all), but its a fun powerhouse of action, and Konami were right in doing this. Severely, recommended. Expand
  20. Feb 28, 2013
    This game represents what the current games industry lacks. Everyone is making games more and more mainstream, they take no risks. With Rising, Platinum games went all out making one of the best looking, controlling, sounding (the soundtrack is amazing!!!), and story driven games of quite some time. As a Metal Gear Solid fan this feels true to the Metal Gear universe as well as Raiden.This game represents what the current games industry lacks. Everyone is making games more and more mainstream, they take no risks. With Rising, Platinum games went all out making one of the best looking, controlling, sounding (the soundtrack is amazing!!!), and story driven games of quite some time. As a Metal Gear Solid fan this feels true to the Metal Gear universe as well as Raiden. Anyone who complains obviously forgot Raiden's fight scenes in MGS4 as well as the lack of Solid in the title. I would love to see a sequel to this, it is one of the few games in recent memories that was actually fun to play. A lot of games feel like a chore, lacking inspiration and you just keep pushing yourself playing just so you feel like you don't waste your money. Rising on the other hand I just kept playing, wanting to hear more of the amazing music and take part in more boss battles. The length was also perfect as well, the story kept progressing and didn't outstay it's welcome. Great work Platinum Games and Kojima Productions for making this game come to life. Expand
  21. Feb 20, 2013
    Quality vs Quantity?? We will see how Metal Gear Rising holds up ups.

Quality vs Quantity?? We will see how Metal Gear Rising holds up ups.

First off, Metal Gear Rising: Revengance is the best action game I have ever played. I went into the game withfairly high hopes and expectations, expessally since I heard Platium games was taking of the project. The gameplay is fast paced, fluid, exciting, and engaging. I there so little to be said about the game with giving way huge gameplay spoilers. If you like fun games, Metal Gear fan or Metal Gear fan (everyone likes Metal Gear!). You owe it to yourself to play through this. I felt it was worth the full price tag. I start the game on hard, and it took me about day, clocked at 7 hours (not including my deaths). and the game was actually hard.

Probably what ninja gaiden 3 should have been, But over all, great game. And enjoy
  22. Feb 23, 2013
    It`s very important to understand Metal Gear Rising as an autonomous Universe and not as a part of the Metal Gear Solid Saga himself. That being said, Metal Gear Rising is an outstanding Hack'n'Slay with lots of Action and humor, combined with an awesome Soundtrack for the fluent fighting system and the beautiful visuals. Neither doubt nor fear is left Hideo Kojima still is one of theIt`s very important to understand Metal Gear Rising as an autonomous Universe and not as a part of the Metal Gear Solid Saga himself. That being said, Metal Gear Rising is an outstanding Hack'n'Slay with lots of Action and humor, combined with an awesome Soundtrack for the fluent fighting system and the beautiful visuals. Neither doubt nor fear is left Hideo Kojima still is one of the biggest Masterminds in video game history, who was created a great game for Raiden which he deserves. Expand
  23. Feb 21, 2013
    I think this game was a wonderful piece once again confirming the idea that games are art. The design is flawless. The graphics and gameplay are very well polished. The animations are excellent. People here are just whining because it's too hard for them. I haven't had this much fun in a Metal Gear game for years, and I've been an MG fan for almost 15 years.
  24. Mar 1, 2013
    the best sword game this gen so far one word describe this hilarious epic game LIGHTNING BOLT
  25. Feb 19, 2013
    This is a stylist game and i have think the kind of game platinum produces is both good and have the Japanese taste and story that I like. I feel you should definitely buy MGS rising
  26. Feb 19, 2013
    this game is pretttyyy prettyy preetttttyyy good.... i usually dont go for these types of games but i had to get this one, and i do not regret my purchase
  27. Feb 21, 2013
    Awesome. Annoyed by the j-rock at times, and the villains are dumber than usual for this franchise (which is kind of saying a lot)... Really fun gaming, though. Fully lives up to the Metal Gear name. Don't listen to the hate and check it out.
  28. Feb 23, 2013
    A lot of fun to be had here. Finishing off enemies is satisfying. I started on hard, as I typically do with most games, and this game isn't too challenging yet, but that's not to say I haven't died several times. Obviously this is nothing like other Metal Gear games and it isn't supposed to be, so as long as you understand that this is a different type of game entirely you shouldn't beA lot of fun to be had here. Finishing off enemies is satisfying. I started on hard, as I typically do with most games, and this game isn't too challenging yet, but that's not to say I haven't died several times. Obviously this is nothing like other Metal Gear games and it isn't supposed to be, so as long as you understand that this is a different type of game entirely you shouldn't be disappointed by that. I've seen many complaints that it is short, which may be true, but I've already put 10 hours into the game and I'm only on chapter 3. I like to explore, listen to codec conversations (not for too long but but I like to listen for a few minutes here and there) and play the unlockable VR missions as I progress through the game. If you play on a difficulty that's challenging for you and you don't speed through as quick as you can, I suspect the game will last you a good while. If you know that you really enjoy action games like Bayonetta, as I did, then there is a good chance that you will really enjoy this game too. If you're just a Metal Gear fan and are thinking of picking this one up just because it's a Metal Gear game, you might want to try renting it first to see if you're really going to have fun with this. I'm very happy with my day 1 purchase even though I know the price will drop after not too long. From an objective standpoint it's a solid game and worth at least checking out. Expand
  29. Feb 19, 2013
    First at all: Why are all the bad reviews like: "Buy DmC instead". Listen, the reason I buy MGR is because it's the next installment in the Metal Gear Franchise, a franchise which I love, and I won't buy it just to slash some cyborgs, event though it is an adrenaline boost sometimes But let's get to the game: It's good, I actually expected it already after I've completed the demo the 10thFirst at all: Why are all the bad reviews like: "Buy DmC instead". Listen, the reason I buy MGR is because it's the next installment in the Metal Gear Franchise, a franchise which I love, and I won't buy it just to slash some cyborgs, event though it is an adrenaline boost sometimes But let's get to the game: It's good, I actually expected it already after I've completed the demo the 10th time. What I hate about other H&S games is that you focus on the battle, you want the perfect result with that one very difficult combo. It's not like this in MGR. The combat system is simple, but that doesn't mean it's not exciting, the Zan Datsu system is just epic. When you're fighting and you Zan Datsu multiple enemies, or an enemy on a special way (e.g. sliding with parrying) you are just feeling the adrenaline in your body and you will be like, YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. The bosses' personality is inspired from earlier MG games, but fighting them is, obviously, different. Fighting every boss is different because the environment, fighting style of the boss (and the soundtrack on the background is always different. The story is good as well, it's obvious that the ingenius mind of Hideo Kojima is involved with it. You will meet new characters, but encounter old friends as well, but I'm not going to spoil anything. I agree it's a little bit on the short side, but it was not reason for me to not buy it, nor it should for you. Expand
  30. Feb 19, 2013
    Great hack and slash fun, great graphics and smooth 60 fps. I only wish they had stayed with the original project that was MGS: Rising but MGR: Reveangence is a a great game in itself. This is probably the best game that will come out this year.

1. Apr 9, 2013
    Improvements need to be made, but Metal Gear Rising has already established itself to be an action game well worth buying.
  2. Fact is, when Revengeance is firing on all cylinders it’s a great, albeit short (six hours, tops) action game. [April 2013, p78]
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    Its shortness will dissuade many, but cut deeper and an innovative parry system impresses. [Apr 2013, p.70]