Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PlayStation 3

7.8

1. Feb 19, 2013
    this game is straight-forward fun in the vein of Vanquish more so than Bayonetta. Combat is not as deep as Bayonetta but is still frenetic and fluid and feels great. The combinations of your light and heavy attacks with the moves you attain along the way allow for creativity and strategy for dealing with groups of enemies. The secondary weapons take the place of your heavy attack and arethis game is straight-forward fun in the vein of Vanquish more so than Bayonetta. Combat is not as deep as Bayonetta but is still frenetic and fluid and feels great. The combinations of your light and heavy attacks with the moves you attain along the way allow for creativity and strategy for dealing with groups of enemies. The secondary weapons take the place of your heavy attack and are best equipped to handle particular enemies, though never necessary. I'd say Hard mode would be your Normal mode so start there. Very Hard mode with New Game is when you really start to feel the fast pace of the action and how challenging the game can get. The parrying works well and is satisfying when you're stringing them and countering during intense battles, although the camera angle may sometimes be where it's hard to judge the direction to parry. That's why the Dodging ability is also important. Ducking, weaving, parrying, countering, running while deflecting bullets toward the dude in the distance, all happening in quick, fluid succession creates really cool moments. This is what the game is about. It is on the short side but this is more for the arcade-style gamers like myself who love getting better and chasing ranks. Expect high-level gamers posting speed runs on youtube that will surely expose how the game can truly be played. I give this an 8.5 but the scoring system only allows whole numbers. Don't really care about story though i do wish there were options to change language and subtitles like in Vanquish. I dont consider this to be Platinum's best game, which is understandable given their circumstances and time constraints. But if they are given the chance at a sequel i bet they can create a true masterpiece. This game is still fun for what it is and therefore receives a good score from me! Have fun with this one. Expand
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    this game proves once again that platinum can make an over the top crazy action game its a great spin off to a great series. if mgs fans dont like it there is ground zeroes to look forward to but in the mean time you can enjoy this crazy fuelled game
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    As long time MG fan, i feel this is a very good entry into the series's already decorated history. Graphically, character models are top-notch. The Art style as intriguing as ever, boasting some of the most Uniquely designed enemies you'll encounter, visually and in function. Visuals are especially impressive in regards to handling the frame rate well despite the wild amount of acceleratedAs long time MG fan, i feel this is a very good entry into the series's already decorated history. Graphically, character models are top-notch. The Art style as intriguing as ever, boasting some of the most Uniquely designed enemies you'll encounter, visually and in function. Visuals are especially impressive in regards to handling the frame rate well despite the wild amount of accelerated action that takes place. As expected, the Action level is far higher than the Snake installments; even past Raiden segments are idle in comparison. Controls are solid, what you can expect from a Team Ninja action title. (Compare to DMC). This combat flow is definitely the fastest thus far. Love the Ninja-Run feature, as it allows Raiden to easily navigate all terrain and any geometrical obstacles, adding a necessary smoothness to his mobility. Weapons are fun to use and learning the combos is worth it. Upgrades are meaningful. Enemies are fierce and satisfyingly competitive. Hard Mode) The boss battles are the game's best offerings, providing rewarding challenge and visual spectacles that won't come close to disappointing you. The camera may only be an issue for the unsavvy.

The story is as cheesy as every other Metal Gear. Still, fun and masterfully written. Codec conversations provide interesting dialogues. Neglecting those would mean missing some of the best writing in the game. Great game overall for fans of the genre and should satisfy most Metal Gear enthusiast. 9/10
  4. Feb 24, 2013
    This is the Vanquish of 3rd person action games. It will be equally hated by those ignorant gamers that play a game for 20 minutes and say "this sucks" or those that have a hard time learning new skills.
    The real action gamer will discover what its all about, and know its another great Platinum game that will be played many, many times.
  5. Feb 24, 2013
    This game will go into history as the masters of game music and its innovative use.

The Boss fights are also memorable, grinding kept to a minimum and gives that overthetop epic live-action feeling about self performance! If only they'd learn camera control...
  6. Feb 24, 2013
    Metal Gear rising is almost perfect for what it is. There were only a few issues with the game. The camera could be really annoying at times, the length was far too short for a metal gear game and the story just didn't hold as much weight with you as a metal gear "solid" game. As far as positives go however, this game was so fun I'll actually play through it again and i never do that withMetal Gear rising is almost perfect for what it is. There were only a few issues with the game. The camera could be really annoying at times, the length was far too short for a metal gear game and the story just didn't hold as much weight with you as a metal gear "solid" game. As far as positives go however, this game was so fun I'll actually play through it again and i never do that with games. The graphics were cool, the soundtrack was really unique and i promise you have never played a sword game like this before...ever. Platinum Games did an awesome job with the blade mode.

I'm personally not regretting my purchase of this game. It was exactly what video games are supposed to be; clever ideas and tons of fun.
  7. Mar 1, 2013
    This game is straight to the point, without much ado, like ninja gaiden in their glory days, the story is not as impressive as that of MGS4 but it's a good excuse to get out slicing everything.
  8. Feb 25, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising is a great addition to the series. platinum games have done a great job of creating a first class game based around sword skills and martial arts weapons like Raidens default nano energy sword, sai swords, 3 section staff/ long pole and more than likely a few more i have not yet seen. The game allows you too upgrade weapons armor and skills by using the points scored inMetal Gear Rising is a great addition to the series. platinum games have done a great job of creating a first class game based around sword skills and martial arts weapons like Raidens default nano energy sword, sai swords, 3 section staff/ long pole and more than likely a few more i have not yet seen. The game allows you too upgrade weapons armor and skills by using the points scored in a mission too buy the upgrades. The better your score the quicker you can upgrade. Metal gear rising is a challenge even on normal difficulty at first you will die a lot especially on boss fights but as you learn and progress when you finally beat the boss or enemy that was causing you all the grief. you feel you have mastered raidens skills and this is were the addiction factor kicks in trying to beat previous area best scores. Some reviews said the game was very short but its actually not that short and with different weapons to collect as well as battle armors/cyborg suits that have different skill stats attached the replay value is high. The story is one of political intrigue mixed with raidens back story and the morals of war. (No Spoilers) The graphics look great and the game runs at a smooth 60fps. This is a next gen game running on this gens tech. The destruction engine that is used to count how many pieces an object gets cut into works great and you even spend time chopping wood just too see how many pieces you can cut it into. Metal gear rising game of a thousand cuts. Platinums best yet. if you like swordplay games with a decent story this game is highly recommended there is nothing else like it available this gen. Expand
  9. Feb 25, 2013
    I start with bad sides:
    1. Camera. luckily Lock-On compensates it somewhat but not enough to make it good. 2. Side Characters. Sorry, they are not very interesting or appealing. Luckily their impact on story is very minor.
    I start with bad sides:
    3. Humor. I loved over the top stuff. I loved humor in Bayo. Here it felt somewhat forced. Now those 3 thing aside, I try to describe good sides. 1. Combat. It's very intense and fun. I don't understand how some people called it shallow or whatsoever. Experimentation with unique weapons adds depth and customizable moves add sweet flavor to it.
    2. Enemy variety and AI. The game isn't very long, but enemies are coming in many different forms and are far from being shallow shells, staying and waiting on your punishment.
    3. Difficulty. Maybe I'm not as good in this game Back than I was able to make it through Bayo without much trouble) but here skill is required on different level. IT's mix of NG and Vanquish. NG's combat and Vanquish's speed.
    4. Eye candy. Game looks awesome with non stop effects and cool animations. And what's really made my day: no pixelated shadows by PS3. Pixelated shadows nowadays is common in many games, but here they managed to avoid them altogether. 5. Story. Behind absurd over the top story hides pretty thick and engaging story that I haven't expected at first.
    6. BOSSES! Yes, they are the kings of this game. I haven't enjoyed boss fights so much for a very long time. And they really made it more than worth. 7. Exploration. Hidden areas, collectibles and funny nods to MGS made it re-playability even more engaging. In the end it's 9/10 for me. Aside from 3 things I mentioned at the beginning, 2 of them pretty subjective, I found game is more than enjoyable and I'll be glad to see sequel to it!
  10. Mar 5, 2013
    Honestly at first, I only considered getting this game to spite Capcom and Ninja Theory for DmC. Then I actually watched a preview of the game. Let me tell you, I've never played any of the other MG games, So I can't speak from a hardcore MG fans perspective. But I can speak from the perspective of a hardcore hack n' slash fan. Metal Gear Rising is amazing, it has everything a hack n'Honestly at first, I only considered getting this game to spite Capcom and Ninja Theory for DmC. Then I actually watched a preview of the game. Let me tell you, I've never played any of the other MG games, So I can't speak from a hardcore MG fans perspective. But I can speak from the perspective of a hardcore hack n' slash fan. Metal Gear Rising is amazing, it has everything a hack n' slash game should have. The gameplay is fluid and fun, tons of action, the soundtrack is amazing, and I know a lot of hardcore MG fans don't like him, but I freakin love Raiden, My only criticism is the game's a little short. But whatever, it has replay value Expand
  11. Feb 25, 2013
    Game is a really great game. The game is accessible for everyone as well as caters to the metal gear fans. In terms of story, the game doesn't go too heavy on Raiden's Metal Gear Solid past, or really much of what transpired in Metal Gear history so that the story isn't too confusing to anyone who hasn't played any Metal Gear game before, but give some easter eggs from earlier metal gearGame is a really great game. The game is accessible for everyone as well as caters to the metal gear fans. In terms of story, the game doesn't go too heavy on Raiden's Metal Gear Solid past, or really much of what transpired in Metal Gear history so that the story isn't too confusing to anyone who hasn't played any Metal Gear game before, but give some easter eggs from earlier metal gear games that cater to the fans of the series. The gameplay is really the reason why it is accessible to everyone as the game is a hack n slash and everyone loves a hack n' slash. There are still some aspects of Metal Gear gameplay like stealth but those aspects are really just an option as hack n' slash is everything in this game. What's also great is that you can slash basically everything in the game. What sets this game apart is blade mode, with this, you can slash up you enemies to a million pieces when the option is given. What I really like about this aspect is that I slashed both arms of an enemy and they'll still attack me by kicking and that just reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Other than that, bosses in this game are brilliant, I won't spoil anything, but I will say that the bosses are just brilliant. In terms of visuals, it's great in terms of what the PS3 has to offer, but I have consistency problems between cut scenes and the game itself, but that's just my thing. Music in this game is not for everyone, I know that, but I feel as though that they do fit within the game, especially the bosses. Voice acting is great, just as you would expect from a Metal gear Solid game, but one problem is Raiden's voice, especially when he becomes Jack the Ripper. Now, one more problem which is what mostly everyone comes by in this game is the camera problem, which can really problematic. You can lose your enemy due to this is just an example, I can say that this camera can really mess up your gameplay. Another thing to note is that this game runs about 4-6 hours, and it is pretty linear, but it is highly replayable. What I'm getting at is that the length of the game does not correlate the price for me. If you really want this game, and have money to burn, I would recommend getting this game at retail price, but if you're on the fence on getting this game or not have a strong resolve to get this game, I would recommend waiting till the price of the game drops to a reasonable price for you. Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    Full review can be located at http://www.one-quest.com/blog/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-review/

Over the past two weeks I’ve had nothing but Metal Gear Rising on my mind. In the first look I had a handful of problems with the game, but I still maintained high hopes. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is set a few years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4. With the patriots gone, an

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is set a few years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4. With the patriots gone, an increase in development of nanotechnologies and cyborgs have created a higher demand for PMCs(Private Military Corporations). Raiden, a sword wielding ninja cyborg, works for a mercenary group known as Maverick. Maverick was hired with the task of working as peacekeepers for a war torn country as a new head of state is brought into power. Let’s just say that everything spirals out of control which pits Raiden and Maverick against another mercenary group known as Desperado. The plot holds together well throughout the game. Metal Gear Rising is peppered with information about Raiden’s past, references to previous Metal Gear games, and an immersive new political state in the Metal Gear universe. The script and voice acting are great, captivating, and a often humorous. They were able to throw in a few subtle jokes and flat out ridiculous moments, even in the most serious portions of the game. Although the final boss was a little bit of a stretch, I really enjoyed the story, and it nicely complements the game play. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance clearly has Kojimas charm written all over it.

Konami made a smart decision putting PlatinumGames Inc. in charge of the development. When people hear the name Metal Gear they think of that classic tactical espionage action. However, Raiden has since moved away from the tactical espionage, and more toward the action. Keeping with the tactical espionage roots there are some stealth moments in the game for Raiden, but there wasn’t much of a benefit to playing this way. I found myself running in, sword swinging, no matter what enemies lie before me. The controls aren’t configured for stealthy game play either. You do get items, such as boxes and barrels, that help you sneak around, but there isn’t much of use for them. Like I said, the focus of this game is on the action, and there are some heavy doses of action in MGR:R.
    One of the big focuses of the game is the “Blade Mode.” This ability slows time, which allows you to position your blade to cut enemies to pieces, big or small. The primary use of Blade Mode is for “Zan Datsu”, the ability to cut open an enemy and grab their cyborg spine to heal yourself and recover electrolytes. Blade Mode is also used to just cut things into small pieces. because it’s fun.
    As you play the game you’ll be able to unlock new sword abilities as well as different sub weapons, main weapons, and special items. The unlockables and upgrades are very reminiscent of games such as Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, with a bit of a Metal Gear Solid flair. You get Battle Points by getting higher grades throughout the missions, as well as cutting off specific limbs. You use the Battle Points to purchase upgrades and items. In order to unlock new weapons and special items you need to complete specific objectives, e.g. Beat the game on Hard Difficulty, Collect all I.D. Chips, or complete all VR Missions.

I’m also glad to report that there is a dodge ability which comes in handy. Unfortunately the camera does get a little confusing, but for the most part you are playing in wide open areas, so it doesn’t play a major factor past the first few, confined, areas. In the end Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a great game, and a total blast to play. Keep in mind that this isn’t the Metal Gear we have all grown up with. The focus here is on action, although the story is still full of crazy Kojima politics. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance features a new game play style for the Metal Gear saga and it works spectacularly. While the story is a bit on the short side, about 7 hours, there’s still plenty of replay value. With new weapons and costumes to unlock, and the always daunting “perfect rating” for each level, you could spend quite a bit of time with this one. Also, the music in the game is awesome! Pay attention to the ever changing audio as you play through each mission, you’ll be impressed. The soundtrack actually features some local friends of ours, The Maniac Agenda, which makes the music that much more exciting. If this is how 2013 is going to start then we have an epic year ahead of us. Pickup, play, and enjoy Konami’s Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
  13. Jun 27, 2013
    This is one of my favorite games ever. While it's certainly not perfect, it has a very special place in my heart due to its battle system, music, characters, unlockables, etc. Unlike some other reviewers, I believe that the things the game does right easily overshadow the things that it does wrong. The "Zandatsu" cutting system is absolutely amazing and unlike anything I've ever seen. OnceThis is one of my favorite games ever. While it's certainly not perfect, it has a very special place in my heart due to its battle system, music, characters, unlockables, etc. Unlike some other reviewers, I believe that the things the game does right easily overshadow the things that it does wrong. The "Zandatsu" cutting system is absolutely amazing and unlike anything I've ever seen. Once you start cutting, you just won't be able to stop. Aside from that, the battle system is of the typically high quality that we've come to expect from Platinum Games. The only real difference between it and, say, Bayonetta, is the lack of any kind of dodge or block button. In their place is a very interesting parry mechanic that might be a bit hard to master, but once you do it, it feels deeply satisfying to parry your opponents, and it adds a whole new level of depth to the battle system. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard. The fact that I actually bought it and put most of the vocal tracks on my iPod should explain exactly what level of quality we're talking about here these are tracks that are absolutely amazing out of the game, but sound incredible when they start playing in the middle of a fight. It's also safe to say that this game features the most interesting squad of bosses seen in a "Metal Gear" title since "metal Gear Solid 3", with the cake going to Monsoon the cybernetic philosopher who can separate his body into tiny pieces and control magnetism.

Of course, many people are turned off by the length of the game not counting cutscenes or replays, the campaign can be beaten in about 4 hours. Then again, this is one of those games that are supposed to be played again and again, using different weapons, cybernetic bodies and difficulty levels. The amount of collectibles is astounding you can collect data chips, chop off left arms, hunt for Men in Boxes, look for health extensions or just try to get trophies and titles. No matter what, there's always something new you can discover on repeated playthroughs, which can make up for the short length of the campaign. There's also literally hundreds of VR missions you can try that will take at least 4 hours on their own, so if the length is the reason why you might not want to pick this up, I'd say your fears aren't entirely justified.

Bottom line if you want to play an absolutely excellent hack n slash, then ignore the trolls and look no further than Metal Gear Rising!
  14. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am currently in the mists of playing this game and from what i have seen it is a revamp version of metal gear, in the cool way featuring cyborgs, and a hack and slash ninja theme. the graphics are immense in my opinion the game play may feel a little repetitive to some with only having a few attack combos to choose from but that's all made up for with the gore and violence of the new and improved raiden :D. I played metal gear solid sons of liberty and when playing as raiden i was so bummed out i felt i would have been better playing a female character as she would have been more macho, but after playing this game i have total respect for him now he comes across so much more confident and more prepared for battle. From the story aspect im a little unsure its a little hazy to start of but as i progress the story is starting to unfold so i can not really comment much. but over all a visually stunning, hack and slash ninja game that is enjoyable by new to the metal gear series as well as metal gear followers looking for something new. Expand
  15. Sep 7, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of MGS and have been looking for something to help stave off the hunger for the next gen installment. In comes Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Breaking away from the traditional MGS mold which mainly focuses on unparalleled storytelling that engrosses the player in an almost too-real world of corruption, in depth character designs, and plot twists galore, MGR:R takes a stabI'm a huge fan of MGS and have been looking for something to help stave off the hunger for the next gen installment. In comes Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Breaking away from the traditional MGS mold which mainly focuses on unparalleled storytelling that engrosses the player in an almost too-real world of corruption, in depth character designs, and plot twists galore, MGR:R takes a stab at producing an over-the-top and insane gameplay experience.

And it succeeds.

I have to admit I was skeptical at first. The gameplay opens up with a relatively basic storyline (although you certainly get that Kojima feel as the story develops), and introduces you to a very well done fighting system. You quickly begin hacking, slashing, and dismembering your enemies by the dozens and it is almost frightening how much I enjoyed it. You actually maintain your health and energy levels by absorbing your enemies insides (HELL YES) and you can slow down time with the blade mode system to put more precise cuts into your enemies for extra satisfaction. The blade mode implementation plays a huge role in the game, as you will need to it overcome some of the most well done, thought out, and smart boss battles I've ever experienced.

Overall, if your an MGS fanatic like myself and you're looking for something to keep you busy while you wait for the next gen, pick this game up and give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised by how ok I was with the different gameplay style presented here. I was still finding myself in the MG universe, and having a damn good time.
  16. Feb 26, 2013
    It last "only" for 6 hours, but the whole game is packed with action, solid graphics, great sound and music, amazing fastpaced gameplay and a intresting albeit sometimes silly story with links to actual events.
  17. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is stellar. This may be the fastest action game ever created (and that's a good thing) The heavy metal soundtrack only intensifies this, but the real star of the game is the ridiculously triumphant boss encounters. These are so epic and insane that I found myself explaining each one to my wife (who could care less) pantomiming katana strikes and all. If you like feeling like theThis game is stellar. This may be the fastest action game ever created (and that's a good thing) The heavy metal soundtrack only intensifies this, but the real star of the game is the ridiculously triumphant boss encounters. These are so epic and insane that I found myself explaining each one to my wife (who could care less) pantomiming katana strikes and all. If you like feeling like the ultimate badass, are a metal gear fan, or just plain love good, old school action games, go get this now! Expand
  18. Feb 23, 2013
    MG Rising, the newest game in the Metal Gear franchise, is an amazing and fun title, standing out for both its unique style and gameplay within the series or out of it.
    Story and Presentation: MGR is set in the near future (2018), four years since the events of MGS4, with Raiden serving as the main protagonist. The story of MGR and its characters is nice and well written, though it is easily one of the game's weakest points, as the story becomes more and more confusing, but that only helps MGR to develop Raiden's character. The whole story was just made to make Raiden more BADASS, and believe me, it succeed. Some points do fall short because of the story's length, and it somehow make me feel that the game is rushed 9.
    Graphics: MGR looks great, although the graphics are not ground-breaking as previous MG titles. The whole environment is so detailed and the character models look nice. There are still some screen-tearing moments, but that's alright 9.
    Soundtrack: The game's soundtrack is top-notch. The game's rocky/metal music is fitting to the whole atmosphere of the game, and it helps making you feeling so pumped while playing. Voice acting is amazing. 10.
    Gameplay Awesome swordplay and fast-action moves, MGR is so fast and f*cking fun. Hostile AI is (almost) perfect, and the game's bosses are cool, though I can say that the sole reason they exist is to make the gameplay more fun. Blade Mode is a very fun feature. *spoilers*Reaper Mode is insane*spoilers* There are still several issues with countering (AKA Parring), secondary weapons, and camera angles, but that's not stopping me from giving a 10.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is short, with the story lasting for only 6 hours at the best. HOWEVER, there are unlockable VR missions to complete and the whole story combined with insane, f*ckin' fast gameplay is just so much fun that you must replay the singleplayer more than once. 8.5
    Final score is 9.3, but I have to go with "9" (damn you MetaCritic)
  19. Feb 21, 2013
    Been quite the year already for off the wall hack and slash games, and this one is closely on par with DmC. Like much of the other hardcore MGS fans, I found this new direction hard to choke back at first but it fits with Raiden and brings some really neat mechanics to the hack and slash genre in general. Graphics are decent but have moments of looking a tad dated and I felt Raiden lookedBeen quite the year already for off the wall hack and slash games, and this one is closely on par with DmC. Like much of the other hardcore MGS fans, I found this new direction hard to choke back at first but it fits with Raiden and brings some really neat mechanics to the hack and slash genre in general. Graphics are decent but have moments of looking a tad dated and I felt Raiden looked different than in previous MGS games but meh not terribly important. The story slowy dilutes into your typical outlandish Metal Gear war theme and is quite linear which is expected. As much of the other reviews have stated as well, the environments are quite bland in most situations and the minor stealth aspects should have never been put in to begin with. Enemy AI is about on par with Turning Point and that is far from a complement. And if you haven't played that game, I envy you. All in all a bold attempt by KojiPro and Platinum and in the end it shaped up to be a lot better than what I think people had expected. Worth a rent or borrow it from a friend, an absolute buy for those who are MGS loyalists! Expand
  20. Feb 25, 2013
    My major complaint is that the game is short. And yes, it's "meant to be replayed," but approximately 3 to 4 hours of level CONTENT (not time it takes you to finish) is a lot of money per inch of level. Whenever they kick out MGR:R2, I'll be buying it, and I still highly recommend buying this one, but I really hope they add a bit more.

The mechanics of this game are rock solid. The

The mechanics of this game are rock solid. The system is probably the most fun I've ever had with an action game, although a lot more could have been done with it to add some variety. I hope to see some more innovative uses of the "cut anything" system in a sequel.

Despite people's complaints about it "ruining" the atmosphere of the metal gear games, the story isn't bottom tier. Yes, the villains are silly and not well explained and Raiden's intelligence level bounces all over the place from scene to scene, but it's not a game breaker by any means.
  21. Apr 6, 2013
    Short... Biggest downfall. But with that said. Take an action game of 10 hours shrink it to 5 and make it non-stop go go go... Add in insane fights and a psychotic hero makes me smile inside. Riaden has redeemed himself and for the first time a MGS game spin-off that is enjoyable.
  22. Feb 19, 2013
    Some of the best over the top action scenes in a game. Platinum games has made a very polished action game. The gameplay is solid, but the best part of the game is the cutscenes. I also enjoyed seeing a videogame apply some political commentary to society. Kojima was right to have platinum make this game. No one can make an action game with Japanese style like they can. Maybe capcomSome of the best over the top action scenes in a game. Platinum games has made a very polished action game. The gameplay is solid, but the best part of the game is the cutscenes. I also enjoyed seeing a videogame apply some political commentary to society. Kojima was right to have platinum make this game. No one can make an action game with Japanese style like they can. Maybe capcom will have them do the next resident evil....that would be interesting. Overall, it feels like part of the mgs universe although more of a side story, but I still enjoyed it. I would recommend to anyone a fan of the series or an action fan. Expand
  23. Feb 19, 2013
    Absolutely awesome when i played the demo of this my hopes where really high and they did not disappointing raiden is a great lead and he controls so well. Platinum games did so well and the sword gameplay is so well done. The game also still keeps the mgs feel.
  24. Feb 19, 2013
    Long review incoming.

Long review incoming.

First of all, ignore some of the reviews here, it's happening the same thing as DmC, but unfortunately the DmC fanboys are butthurt their game is "decent" at best so they have to come here and bash this game. Now for the review itself, the game will be worth your time. It is around 6-8 hours long, not too long yes, and you'll see around 4-5 hours total time in the end result, but that's simply because the game doesn't count restarts, so it's like you never died and did everything perfect, which is pretty impossible. So yeah, everyone is assuming, even "professional reviewers", that the game is only 3-4 hours long, when it simply isn't.

The game runs at 60fps and looks really nice, visual wise the game is really good, nothing bad about it.
    Another point is the camera. It isn't that great, but people simply need to learn how to use the damn right analog stick, and it'll be ok.

The combat is alright, it's fast and full of action. Combos aren't perfect, but they're good enough. There's a counter function, which works as intended, and a dodge, although it could've been better implemented. I don't like how once you get unique weapons, you use them with a dedicated button (as in, Square will light attack with the HF Blade and Triangle will use the unique weapon) and it's not a full replacement.
    Blade mode is fun, and a great addition. Who doesn't like to cut people into bits? :D

Boss battles are amazing. They're really intense and the music in them really gets you pumped.
    Speaking of music, it is amazing. It's obviously different from past Metal Gear games, and as such, it fits in perfectly.

The story is good, it happens 3 years after the events of MGS4, although I'm gonna be honest and say I expected atleast a reference to Solid Snake in a cutscene or codec, or maybe Otacon, seeing as Sunny is in. Some characters are interesting, mainly bosses, while a few others can be forgettable.

Overall, it is a nice addition to the Metal Gear series, a great game in my opinion, not without it's flaws though. Even so, I rate this game a 9/10, you won't be disappointed if you're a Metal Gear fan, or a HnS fan for that matter.
  25. Feb 19, 2013
    I had low expectations regarding this game, despite that it turned out to be amazing. 60 fps non-stop action has some never before seen features. It kept me hooked from start to finish. Story and characters belong in MGS universe. Cheesy but soo good. If you love MGS and open for a new slasher experience don't miss on this game!
  26. Feb 27, 2013
    i feel sad that real gaming critics rate this game so low because they think its broken, the gameplay in rising is leaps and bounds beyond anything else this generation except for platinums bayonetta. I might actually follow the websites that are honoring this game, thank you platinum games along with from soft ware u show me that hardcore gamers will always be appreciated :D
  27. Feb 28, 2013
    This new direction for Metal Gear has the potential for greatness. With more diversity, i.e.,
    open-world exploration, an expanded stealth component, varied locales, etc., this could be
    a top-tier series. The thunderstorm combat in Rising is fast, deep, and strategic. Incredibly fun!
  28. Feb 24, 2013
    So, Platinum Games doing a spin-off of the Metal Gear series, and doing it in a rather controversial stance (as much action as stealth, and even more!!), and for what seems like a game stuck forever in development hell it doesn't really bode well for this game, if you believe the history. So its refreshing then, to find out that Revengeance is not only Platinum Games' first classic titleSo, Platinum Games doing a spin-off of the Metal Gear series, and doing it in a rather controversial stance (as much action as stealth, and even more!!), and for what seems like a game stuck forever in development hell it doesn't really bode well for this game, if you believe the history. So its refreshing then, to find out that Revengeance is not only Platinum Games' first classic title since the mighty mighty Vanquish, its possibly the best title to have come out this year so far!! The graphics are a mix, in that the characters and effects are beautiful, but the backdrops are rather drab, and there are also some moments of pop-in and framerate loss on occasions too. The sound veers between the rather good music, which is standard j-rock, and very good effects. However, the gameplay is where its at!! The gameplay can be played mainly to your desires of out-and-out carnage or stealth (there are moments, especially the bosses, when this cannot be avoided however), and the campaign isn't really that long but in the best traditions of Vanquish, its whats achieved within that short time, and it never bores!! Couple this with the VR missons a clever mix between gradually learning your abilities, and beating your friend's times, and upping your characters stats (surprizingly compulsive might I add), and you have a game that has a genuinely breathtaking amount of depth at times I found myself pondering over my character's abilites in a way similar to Demon's Souls (and thats a compliment by the way). Raiden's first solo spin-off is far from the disappointment that was feared, and Platinum Games have delivered magnificently. It may not be (quite) the visual powerhouse that many may have expected, and no, its not Metal Gear Solid 5 (by any means at all), but its a fun powerhouse of action, and Konami were right in doing this. Severely, recommended. Expand
  29. Feb 20, 2013
    An awesome game.
    1. Awesome hack n slash gameplay with plenty of stealth segments that pay off if you go through with them.
    2. AMAZING SET PIECES AND QUICK TIME EVENTS THAT DONT SUCK. 3. An incredible soundtrack especially for the epic bosses. 4. Likeable and crazy/funny characters and villians(typical of a metal gear game) AS a huge MGS fan, i love this game. Its awesome being able
    An awesome game.
    2. AMAZING SET PIECES AND QUICK TIME EVENTS THAT DONT SUCK.
    3. An incredible soundtrack especially for the epic bosses.

AS a huge MGS fan, i love this game. Its awesome being able to control every slice of Raidens sword and the over-all high quality of this game is something that you should really check out for yourself. Like hack n slash action? THEN THIS GAME IS A MUST HAVE.
  30. Feb 20, 2013
    I'll give this game a 8, but I think 7.5 would be more appropriate.
    The thing is that this game is just silly. It lasts only 4 and a half hours, has very primitive and strange stealth mechanic, but this all is compensated by nice gameplay and engaging music which are both very different then anything series has ever experienced.
    But my personal main problem with the game is the plot and
    I'll give this game a 8, but I think 7.5 would be more appropriate.
    But my personal main problem with the game is the plot and a way it is presented to us...
    Right after Raiden loses his eye and arm to Sam and is left bleeding on a train the chapter ends and right after that next chapter starts with Raiden already rebuilt and ready for action... Why Why couldn't we have seen him in a process of being rebuilt, with Rose and little John come to visit him, with Raiden constantly having dreams of Solidus making him do terrible things WHY It could've add up to the story so many interesting details and drama The same goes for all Desperado LLC. guys... For example Monsoon comes from nowhere, without explaining his own motivations, without giving us at least some details of his backstory Same goes for everyone in this game The game doesn't give you details, doesn't give you those long interesting cutscenes with characters interacting with each other, talking, fighting and what little plot is explained can be explained only through Codec calls which are (thank God) present in here.
    This could have been a much more interesting game if there was more plot, more details, more universe to it. Without this I can't really say this is a good Metal Gear game. Just a good action game in it's own right. That is all there is.

1. Apr 9, 2013
    Improvements need to be made, but Metal Gear Rising has already established itself to be an action game well worth buying.
  2. Fact is, when Revengeance is firing on all cylinders it’s a great, albeit short (six hours, tops) action game. [April 2013, p78]
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    Its shortness will dissuade many, but cut deeper and an innovative parry system impresses. [Apr 2013, p.70]