8.7

1. Jun 2, 2014
    Considering the potential scope of the material, "wasted opportunity" is more than an understatement. Global conspiracies, mechs, mercenaries, a world embroiled in conflict etc. It's all familiar stuff but still effective; in theory.

This is the pinnacle of fan-servicing. I have never seen such bad writing in a game of this caliber. Hideo Kojima was always a terrible writer but the stuff he's come out with here is just beyond words. Somebody should have broken the man's fingers or at least put him into cryogenic freezing for 200 years in the hope that when he would reawaken Konami would be long gone, and there would be no company that would have his repugnant brain in employ. Some cutscenes go on for twenty minutes... some go on for two. It doesn't make any difference because by the time they get to the point you have already forgotten what you wanted to find out. The characters (protagonist(s) and antagonists) are all repugnant and two dimensional. I do not care about their hopes, dreams, desires, fears; they can all go jump in the lake.

Oh yeah and 'uncompressed audio?' **** you.

Gameplay mechanics are still as faulty as ever in true lovable MGS style. Restrictive environments aplenty and horrible control scheme. Movements are too jerky and unrefined to produce a smooth and subtle stealth experience. Stick to Splinter Cell (or Dishonored etc). The game also looks like garbage and this is inexcusable considering how long it was in development for... This is the same year that we had Dead Space and Far Cry 2 and they still hold up today. The biggest visual problem is that amount of really cheap cover ups, 90% of the textures are smeared and the brick walls look like an armada of pasta bakes lined up next to each other.

The MGS series was groundbreaking at one point in time, although the golden years have long since passed. MGS might have been the first human to ever take a dump in a toilet but it missed the bowl completely. If you love Hideo Kojima then go right ahead and disregard what I have said but if you want to play an actual game then steer clear
  2. Aug 23, 2014
    I was not brought up on Metal Gear Solid games. Therefore, I did not enter this game with any kind of nostalgia as many other gamers did. I found the controls to be incredibly clunky and frustrating and really did not enjoy the experience at all.
  3. Aug 24, 2014
    I found this game on sale and, having heard highly of it, decided to pick it up. What a horrible mistake. I cannot see how this game can be enjoyed if not by nostalgia or hype.
    This is barely a game. From my total 20 hours spent on this "video game", nine where in cutscenes. This has barely more gameplay than it has cutscenes. And, of the other 11 hours, maybe 3 or 4 are actually the gameplay I head so much about, with big maps and several options, with Snake being able to hide and sneak past by guards. All the rest was composed of scripted scenes with QTEs, "shoot-whatever-appears" (done more than once), button mashes and other kinds of pseudo-gameplay.
    Just stay away from this. If you're a true diehard fan of the series, watch a gameplay on YT. You're not losing anything.
  4. Sep 10, 2014
    Horrible game. Not much more to say about it really. All glitch and fiddly. Camera angles are horrible, combat is horrible. Storyline horrible and unclear. Hate it. Go play cod.
  5. Nov 2, 2012
    I couldn't stand this game for several reasons: Really cringeworthy writing (way to go Hideo Kajima).
    Pretentious and boring long cutscenes.
    Fart jokes and generally bad humor. Poor gameplay design and variation. Killer robots saying "mmoooooo!" Stealth elements are not surprisingly just as weak as they have been since MGS1. Want a good stealth-action-adventure with a mature tone,
    Pretentious and boring long cutscenes.
    Fart jokes and generally bad humor.
    Poor gameplay design and variation.
    Killer robots saying "mmoooooo!"

Want a good stealth-action-adventure with a mature tone, I would recommend any of the Splinter Cell games over this any time of day. There's also Dishonored and any of the Hitman games.
  6. Apr 21, 2013
    I have played through this game twice and cannot find an enjoyable moment in the whole thing. The cut-scenes drag-out its length, without them i'm not sure there is even a game here. As someone whose followed metal gear solid since the start and has enjoyed them all a great deal until this point, i am very disappointed. 4 for effort?
  7. Dec 17, 2012
    Calling this a "game" is false advertising. It's a movie, and a bad one at that. The storytelling is nonsensical. Load times are bad. Every now and then they interrupt the movie with some occasional gameplay. The ratings for this one are proof that if you throw enough shiny and PR budget at something, you can convince the critics to like it.
  8. Nov 28, 2012
    I never playey any Metal Gear before and i was disappointed in this Game. The Action Sequences and the Graphics are great, but most of the Time you are watching endless cutescenes. The Epilog lasts over 1,5h!!! Thats not the right way, to tell a story.
  9. Jul 15, 2014
    sometimes Boring, sometimes It makes me cringe. It's worst game in all of the MGS series(bestest is MGS3). DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME IT IS JUST SH*T......
  10. Oct 13, 2010
    This is one of the most boring games i have ever played, just because the game is made by an asian does not mean it is clever, what was so clever?, the 1 000 000 hour cutscenes, is there any gameplay? Oh yes that brief moment between the cutscenes, the random weird typical japanese names such as Snake, Vamp, Otacon and Liquid, what the hell !!!!!!!!, the **** menu and weapon selection,This is one of the most boring games i have ever played, just because the game is made by an asian does not mean it is clever, what was so clever?, the 1 000 000 hour cutscenes, is there any gameplay? Oh yes that brief moment between the cutscenes, the random weird typical japanese names such as Snake, Vamp, Otacon and Liquid, what the hell !!!!!!!!, the **** menu and weapon selection, the fact that the only thing Snake can do is crawl and hump the ground and smoke all the time!!!. And the disease that exhilarates ageing, lets just say that invisible fairies kill all life on the planet. The graphics for 2008 was good but when played in 2010 it doesnt look so pretty compared to Uncharted 2 or GOW 3. Expand
  11. Sep 3, 2012
    This game is really, really bad. The story is ridiculous, convoluted and even when you try and take the time to understand it, is quite bad and immature. You play the game for 15 minutes then are bombarded by hour-long cutscenes. Video games are meant to be played, not watched.

The characters are hilariously bad, in true Japanese fashion. Are Japanese people all autistic and unable to portray real characters? It seems that way sometimes.

Anyway, the graphics are good, I guess. Good character models. But the gameplay is almost non existent and quite bad. The game advertises itself as a stealth game but will always throw unavoidable confration and action scenes at you. And don't get me started on the dreadful boss fights. This is a really bad video game.
  12. Feb 12, 2013
    I'm dumbfounded at how positive this game was received. This was not a good game. The storyline was complete and utter nonsense, and I dare anyone to trace back through the metal gear solid series and define a coherent plot throughout. I had loved this series initially, and really thought MGS3 was a great game, but this one just put the nail in the coffin for me. Some of the cutscenesI'm dumbfounded at how positive this game was received. This was not a good game. The storyline was complete and utter nonsense, and I dare anyone to trace back through the metal gear solid series and define a coherent plot throughout. I had loved this series initially, and really thought MGS3 was a great game, but this one just put the nail in the coffin for me. Some of the cutscenes were so long and nonsensical that I literally was praying for them to end so I could get back to playing the game. The gameplay was good, but there just wasn't enough of it. Expand
  13. Aug 6, 2011
    Do not buy MGS4. MGS3 is such a better game. Metal Gear Solid 4 does not encourage being stealthy in any way, shape, or form. This game is so boring when trying to be stealthy. In order to be stealthy, you literally go 1 centimeter a MINUTE. Snake is painfully slow in this game. All this game did was make me want to play Metal Gear Solid 3; where I don't go 1 centimeter a minute.
  14. Feb 7, 2012
    Got this because I loved MGS Snake Eater. Played mgs4 once, then twice, then some more. Thought it was great. Played it recently, it was ok. The cutscenes were horrifically long to the point where I was nodding off. The graphics were good. The thing that I hated the most was the europe mission, following the Resistance member. That was so boring I had to quit and come back later and listenGot this because I loved MGS Snake Eater. Played mgs4 once, then twice, then some more. Thought it was great. Played it recently, it was ok. The cutscenes were horrifically long to the point where I was nodding off. The graphics were good. The thing that I hated the most was the europe mission, following the Resistance member. That was so boring I had to quit and come back later and listen to music to kill the boredom. Expand
  15. Apr 16, 2013
    I do see alot of positive comments on this game but mines not going to be that ways. I have like some of the previous MGS games but kinda grew out of it with the.... toooooo much talking and how unrealistic it is. The talking while in plain sight Im suprised none of them did not get headshotted by a sniper. When the villians do get the upper hand that dont go in for the kill but get theirsI do see alot of positive comments on this game but mines not going to be that ways. I have like some of the previous MGS games but kinda grew out of it with the.... toooooo much talking and how unrealistic it is. The talking while in plain sight Im suprised none of them did not get headshotted by a sniper. When the villians do get the upper hand that dont go in for the kill but get theirs in the end. Stopped playing after Raiden(YOU TOOK THAT FROM MORTAL KOMBAT!!!) STOPPED this HUGE ship from crushing Snake..... almost like a roach stopping a door from closing.... The hell is up with that black guy!!! He knows toooo much info on these chicks that try to kill snake kinda like he was there. I did not play the online though so if it is good then I missed out but the game...... eh I just gave it to a friend free. Sorry done with it Expand
  16. PetD.
    Jan 28, 2010
    Sorry, after MGS1,2 and 3 - where is 4? I mean, not these long and boring cutscenes. 20 minutes of cutscenes, 5 minutes of shooting (wheres stealth action?). I f i want to see a film, i go in cinema. this game is absolutely over hyped !
  17. SanusiF.
    Jun 13, 2008
    I did not wait three years to watch a stupid movie. I waited to play an actual game. Probably the most solopsistic effort I have ever come across. Wow. Talk about a crappy game.
  18. Oct 6, 2010
    Usually I tend to write more in my reviews of games I haven't enjoyed than of those that I have, as I feel there is more of an obligation to explain and justify a negative opinion. But for MGS4, I simply can't be bothered. I couldn't take the time or effort to finish the game, so I'm hardly like to afford much attention to reviewing a game I hated. Let me some up my experience of MGS4:Usually I tend to write more in my reviews of games I haven't enjoyed than of those that I have, as I feel there is more of an obligation to explain and justify a negative opinion. But for MGS4, I simply can't be bothered. I couldn't take the time or effort to finish the game, so I'm hardly like to afford much attention to reviewing a game I hated. Let me some up my experience of MGS4:
    Long, confusing cutscene; Level 1 - got down on my belly and crawled through to end; Long, tedious cutscene; Level 2 - got down on my belly and crawled through to end; Long, weird cutscene; Level 3 - got down on my belly and....turned of PS3 and stuck the game on ebay.
    Part of the game's big selling point was its stealth mechanic. Spiderman 2 had a better stealth mechanic. I appreciate that the story only makes sense to those who are fans of the series, but in a way not having played any of the other games makes me more of an objective review of the game as it stands alone. And MGS4 stands silent, in the shadows, preparing to crawl along on its belly so that nobody else notices how poor it is.
  19. May 16, 2013
    It truly boggles my mind how many positive reviews there are for this epic piece of garbage. Playing through MSG4 is an exercise in frustration and a true revelation in just how much senseless melodramatic pieces of cutscenes a game maker can cram into a Blu-Ray and still have the thing called a game.

The entire story is nonsensical. A monkey with a crayon and a 8.5x11 piece of paper can write a more coherent plot than the writer of this game. The dialog is horrible. Characters make all kinds of guttural sounds, hums, haws, and grunts continuously for no reason.

The game play, what little there is sprinkled through the vast hours of retarded cinematic CGI, is boring as hell.
  20. Jun 16, 2012
    METAL GEAR AVERAGE

metal gear solid 4 is the biggest letdown in this console generation its not a bad game, its a great game but its nowhere near a triple A game compared to this generations great games- uncharted, mass effect, halo reach- metal gear solid 4 is a disgrace to the metal gear name graphics- some of the textures and backgrounds are SUB SD sub SD on a so called
    METAL GEAR AVERAGE

metal gear solid 4 is the biggest letdown in this console generation
    its not a bad game, its a great game

but its nowhere near a triple A game

graphics-
    some of the textures and backgrounds are SUB SD
    sub SD on a so called HD console- is a downright disgrace for a tinshop small company-
    but for one of the ps3s premier game developers this is unacceptable
    its not that kojima productions makes up for this with detail- the landscape has basic detail- average draw distance- average overall is the best way to describe the graphics
    MGS 3 was ps2 was a powerhouse- MGS4 could be done on the wii
    unchartered 3 or mass effect 3 look a generation ahead of MGS4

sound- 10/10
    harry gregson williams has done anotrher amazing job- the intro screen is some of the best music in the entire franchise- the music is suitably epic

controls- average- there is a HUGE shooter emphasis now- before (back when kojima made games for himself and didnt ass kiss the western audience) MGS was 90% stealth 10% shooting

MGS3 was 70% stealth 30% shooter- a happy medium

mgs4 is crap- there is no reason for the game to have any sneaking anymore- it could be called gears of solid- with extra long cutscenes

it feels rushed- what was kojima doing for 4 years- the story is barebones- barely trying to put everything together there is no stand alone adventure- just old rehashes
    the graphics engine looks s**t next to uncharted 2

the ANIMATION work is playstation 1 level- its so bad- no one at konami has a clue about mo cap animation work- if snake is crouching and you turn the stick- he turns ON WHEELS WITH NO ANIMATIONS

DISGRACEFUL IN THIS GENERATION

radio chatter in MGS 3 was taken to the next level- MGS 4 has none of that charm or brilliance- again= you find yourself asking- what was kojima doing
    youre talking to otaBORE for most of the game- there is the STUPIDEST ADDITION OF ROSE AND A PSYCHE GAUGE- which adds less than nothing
    the radio chatter is a disgrace

this feels like a watered down MGS3 with shooter elements replacing the brilliance

kojima hasnt made a truly great game since mgs3- and that was FAR from perfect

this is a step down

7/10 is very generous for this mess of a game

the story is so bad i dont even want to score it
  21. Voodooman
    May 8, 2009
    I almost absolutely agree with Dave N. Obsessed fanboys are just blind to see the fact that this game is bad a game with outdated gameplay (that basicly is same as it was 10 years ago, with the exeption that THIS ISNT STEALTH ANYMORE, BUT STUPID SHOOT-EM-UP) that feels more like arcade mario than realistic tactical stealth game like splinter cell and thief, and it many gamedesign I almost absolutely agree with Dave N. Obsessed fanboys are just blind to see the fact that this game is bad a game with outdated gameplay (that basicly is same as it was 10 years ago, with the exeption that THIS ISNT STEALTH ANYMORE, BUT STUPID SHOOT-EM-UP) that feels more like arcade mario than realistic tactical stealth game like splinter cell and thief, and it many gamedesign mistakes. Also blind fanboys who gives a 10 for its MOVIE-likeness cant just see that this is average movie with a lot of plot holes, Bolywood-style (aka indian movie) overacted "drama" like meryl and sosaki "love" and like raiden who seems to be killed by massive Arsenal gear, but ten minutes later we can see him alive just without arms... and the last scene where due of commercial reasons snake decide to stay alive when he should die for good... And this whole stupid death of Naomi from something that aint look and aint work like death from cancer (its was better to kill her with foxdie). And the whole plot, consist from to much Re-used elements that Kojima uses again and again from MG 2: Solid Snake, so long before release of MGS 4 i predicted 80% of story exactly right, and those 20% i was wrong about are these plot-holes (when kojima just forget what he said in previuos parts and when he makes some irrational story decisions). Welll the fact that there are more cut scenes than gameplay isnt that bad, but again these scenes and whole plot not good and not well verified like it was in MGS 1 and MGS 2. And again gameplay is separate story that will not fit into this small comments window. But its borring, not stealth at all, stupid and too mach arcadish and classic, that feels like game from PSone released in 1998, but not like the our day modern and realistic games . Kojima just stuck in 80th-90th design era, and too much conservative to move beyond this prehistorics { ! } and this { ? } icons over head of AI that spawns infinite and act same stupid like a bad toilet jokes about sasaki`s health problems. I was waiting for this so many ears since MGS 2, but it the end i get nothing but frustration, so after i finished game 3 times in a first week of release i gifted my copy of MGS 4 to the guy who let me rent his PS3 (yeah i wasnt stupid enoght like others to buy the inferior console - the outsider of current generations, just for one soap bubble like MGS 4) (( Its worst ever Metal Gear for sure. Expand
  22. JFoundation
    Aug 17, 2009
    I kinda knew what to expect from this, having read about all the cutscenes, and having played MGS on PS1 years back I knew that it'd be another ridiculously unfathomable Japanese plot about stupid fantasy characters with idiotic names. That said, I picked it up second hand because of the hundreds of 10/10 reviews. I honestly don't know how anyone could really think this is I kinda knew what to expect from this, having read about all the cutscenes, and having played MGS on PS1 years back I knew that it'd be another ridiculously unfathomable Japanese plot about stupid fantasy characters with idiotic names. That said, I picked it up second hand because of the hundreds of 10/10 reviews. I honestly don't know how anyone could really think this is worthy of any more than a 6 or 7/10 at best. For a start, gameplay makes up about 20% of the experience, but the gameplay is seriously dull. At no point do you really feel in danger, instead there are long periods of plodding about areas that feel like they've been designed on Super Nintendo in 1994, followed by a frustrating bit that you might have to do a few times because the objectives are just unclear and baffling. Let me be clear - this is not a game for grown adults. I have arrived at a part of the game that requires a bit of trial and error to overcome, and having tried a few different methods, I just can't be bothered to waste any more time on this game, I have more important things to do with my free time. The only things MGS4 has in it's favour are it's presentation and the cutscene graphics, which are pretty despite the truly preposterous "storyline" which tries to sabotage your will to live. PLEASE - If you're not a 15 year old fanboy, don't waste your time with this, truly the most overrated game I have played in 25 years of gaming. Expand
  23. Snakesucks
    Jun 22, 2008
    This game is terrible, I buy games to play them not to watch long cut scenes of some nonsensical story. Cinematics can't save this game, the gameplay is awful too. Stealth is done better by several other games, and it is a bad excuse for a shooter as well. Stay away...
  24. Tom
    Jun 25, 2008
    A user said there isn't a game on the 360 that can top this? One word mate : HALO best video game on earth
  25. PascualA.
    Jun 9, 2008
    Bad game, little gameplay, boring CG movies, etc
  26. joeg.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Way too many cut scenes, crappy story, lame combat, bad frame rate, horrible textures. Just a sup par game in every way.
  27. May 25, 2012
    Tried this based on overwhelmingly favourable reviews and it just doesn't feel right. Not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but overly long cutscenes, poor controls and confusing backstory for a newb to the series make it a waste of time.

Strong AI & stealth are the only saving graces for me.
  28. Aug 29, 2013
    Japanese games never impresses anyone. All this stupid anime cliche's are just too stupid to be taken seriously. Reading a porno mag regenerates your life? (Really Kojima? REALLY) And again back to the stupid hide in the box nonsense. Yeah the gameplay, graphics, and stroy are great, but let's face it. I respect MGS to be the godfather f the stealth genre, but seriously people wantsJapanese games never impresses anyone. All this stupid anime cliche's are just too stupid to be taken seriously. Reading a porno mag regenerates your life? (Really Kojima? REALLY) And again back to the stupid hide in the box nonsense. Yeah the gameplay, graphics, and stroy are great, but let's face it. I respect MGS to be the godfather f the stealth genre, but seriously people wants realistic stealth nowadays. Hiding in a box is just too childish. Expand
  29. KeithB.
    Jun 23, 2008
    Almost unplayable. You can't skip the endless cutscenes unless you want to be lost, and you want to kill yourself while waiting to play!
  30. HughB
    Aug 6, 2008
    I hate drawn-out cinematic. I hate Japanese style heroes that can magically be stabbed and shot before getting up to jump ten foot over 2-legged giant pelvis gunners and kill them. It takes the player out of the immersion of Snake's mission and bores me to tears. I loved the first MGS but this one angered me with that ripped-off feeling. CoD4 is infinitely better.
  31. StevenS.
    Oct 19, 2008
    I can't recommend this - Snake Eater was phenomenal - balanced gameplay, decent length, real progression and sensible cut-scene lengths. This is just a mish-mash of concepts that don't interrelate well, and for me is a huge let down. Think I'll hunt down a copy of Subsistence at least that had decent game-play.
  32. mtdogg1
    Jun 23, 2008
    Wow this place is filled with fanboys - you guys can't seriously think this game is that good. When you're done slogging through long boring mission briefings you get a few levels to sneak or shoot around that are good. Then another awful cut scene - then maybe a rail-shooting chase scene. This game is not that good, i can't believe what I'm reading here. I think Wow this place is filled with fanboys - you guys can't seriously think this game is that good. When you're done slogging through long boring mission briefings you get a few levels to sneak or shoot around that are good. Then another awful cut scene - then maybe a rail-shooting chase scene. This game is not that good, i can't believe what I'm reading here. I think you've all been hyping this so much, you can't be objective. Like Halo 3, all the hype causes these good reviews. In a year no one will be thinking about this game. Expand
  33. CorrectionPen
    Dec 23, 2009
    First of all, I have to say this is the most overrated game i have ever played. -More BORING cutscene than gameplay. -Not about being stealth anymore. just GO in and ambush. - Useless equipment - MK II, playboy magazine, a cardboard box. Most likely, you ll only use once/never in the entire game. - Pathetic joke. They try to make funny scene but is really annoying. But i have to give it First of all, I have to say this is the most overrated game i have ever played. -More BORING cutscene than gameplay. -Not about being stealth anymore. just GO in and ambush. - Useless equipment - MK II, playboy magazine, a cardboard box. Most likely, you ll only use once/never in the entire game. - Pathetic joke. They try to make funny scene but is really annoying. But i have to give it up for amazing graphics. They are very well done in many aspects. but overall the game is just disappointing. Expand
  34. TomG.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I've pissed better games than this. I give it a one because David Hayter is a good voice actor.
  35. mtdogg
    Jun 16, 2008
    extremely long cutscenes (i've fallen asleep twice), poor controls (i stand when I want to crouch, i go prone when i want to stand), graphically not up to par with todays games (looks like Gears of War/Ghost Recon 2), must be a fan of the weird japanese humor or you won't get it. you'll either love or hate this one.
  36. DougGard
    Apr 10, 2009
    I agree with everyone who says the cut scenes are too long. They are.... and they are boring. Sure you can skip them, but they do give you info on what the plot of the game is. The gameplay isn't good enough to live on its own either. I'm not sure why this game is so highly rated.
  37. samh
    Jun 16, 2008
    I don't like hour long cutscenes with bad voice acting and scripting. I want to play a video game. not sit on my couch and watch corny sci-fi movie. I'm trading this in tommorow. they really should put on the game box, "caution: numerous hour long cut scenes contained within" and if you expect to understand what the heck is going on then you have to watch them and cannot skip I don't like hour long cutscenes with bad voice acting and scripting. I want to play a video game. not sit on my couch and watch corny sci-fi movie. I'm trading this in tommorow. they really should put on the game box, "caution: numerous hour long cut scenes contained within" and if you expect to understand what the heck is going on then you have to watch them and cannot skip them. I bought into the hype and I wish I didn't. Expand
  38. PaulJ.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Never liked snakes missions. Its fantasy Jap crap.
  39. RyanE.
    Jun 13, 2008
    A terrible game compared to the glorious original titles. It lacks the punch of 1 and the finesse of 3. Even the graphics, specifically the textures, don't seem high quality.
  40. LordSadic
    Sep 23, 2009
    There are a lot of fans who adore this game and consider it the best out of the series, but If you're the kind of person who buys a game to play it, enjoy it, and not to use as reference material for your compendium of Metal Gear trivia, then stay the fuck away from this shit.
  41. Non
    Jun 11, 2008
    Movie, movie and movie.... I just cleard normal mode. Playtime were 16hours (include 9hours movie)
  42. Ape15
    Jun 13, 2008
    The most disapointing game I have ever played more dissappointing than halo 3 ,which was pretty bad I stayed with Sony For my love of this franchise but having seen the end result I may as well have bought a wii.... at least it has games that don't call themselves the best game of all time and then turn out to be.... Garbage.
  43. LucaM.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Very disappointed! It is a movie not a game! Just finished and, a part from some the technical issues, the in-game graphics looks horrible, very old gen with some horrible low texture. A part from that the interaction tooks approximatively 1/4 of the overal experience (let me say from 8 to 10 hours of real gameplay).
  44. PS3FAN
    Jun 30, 2008
    Too long movies made me sleep and too short playing time .But it's on PS3 so I give a 3 if it on wii or pc or360 i'll give a 0 .PS3 IS BEST.
  45. BobbyS.
    Jul 17, 2008
    I had high hopes for this "game" but it turned out to be a boring movie with brief moments of interactivity. Everything you know and love about Metal Gear is DESTROYED by this rubbish. Don't waste your time with this, you think you're progressing through a story, but all it does is keep beating you over the head with a "War is bad" message. This game makes me ASHAMED to be PS3 owner.
  46. JW.
    Feb 20, 2009
    There's barely a game here, 5 mins of gameplay followed by 20 mins of cutscene, the final cutscenes in particular are painfully overlong. Graphically it's OK and the music is great. They've obviously spent a lot of money developing it, but this clearly doesn't make it a great game. I can't recommend this to anyone but the most fanatical MGS fan. I returned my copy.
  47. JackP.
    Jun 11, 2008
    Games like this are just too slow paced for me. I'm more of a run in and kill everything type a guy. Not a hide and wait guy.
  48. DanL.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Awful, just awful. Boring and totally uninspiring gameplay. This game play style was ok last GEN but please it does not belong on any new Gen machine.
  49. BobR.
    Jul 11, 2008
    You can't even molest Sunny, game was a let down.
  50. BluntH.
    Jul 19, 2008
    This game sucks big time man! What the f*&k these idiot fanboy on about giving this crap 10/10. Yeah maybe for the box art but this game is just piss water. Same shite from the series over and over again but with day long cut scenes. Yeah I can cut them, but I preferred to cut this shite out of my collection. Even if this game was a minute long, those thicko fanboys would have gave it This game sucks big time man! What the f*&k these idiot fanboy on about giving this crap 10/10. Yeah maybe for the box art but this game is just piss water. Same shite from the series over and over again but with day long cut scenes. Yeah I can cut them, but I preferred to cut this shite out of my collection. Even if this game was a minute long, those thicko fanboys would have gave it 10/10. Sad bastards. Expand
  51. MichaelC.
    Jul 4, 2008
    Unlike many of the so-called reviews of this "game", I'm going to be completely objective. I don't give a damn what IGN, Gamespot, and the few other sites and countless fanboys say; as a hardcore gamer, and as a fan of Metal Gear Solid, MGS4 is a total waste of five years worth of waiting. Where to begin? First off, the game still plays like it's from 1998. Why should we be Unlike many of the so-called reviews of this "game", I'm going to be completely objective. I don't give a damn what IGN, Gamespot, and the few other sites and countless fanboys say; as a hardcore gamer, and as a fan of Metal Gear Solid, MGS4 is a total waste of five years worth of waiting. Where to begin? First off, the game still plays like it's from 1998. Why should we be forced to pull two triggers and then a third button just to be able to fire a gun in this day in time? Secondly, for all this bullshit about the graphics being great, not too many "reviewers" mention exactly how limiting these environments truly are; I don't want a sandbox-style stealth game, but when the game uses a myriad of invisible walls and "blocking in" techniques as well as the cheap respawning ideas forcing your hand to complete it just the way Kojima wants you to, it's a little ridiculous. Which brings me to the final failure of MGS4, a lot of reviewers have complained about a lot of the game and then given it a perfect score because it's a Kojima game; I'm not going to bite, Kojima, you are a failed video game developer and a failed movie director if you ever became one. Terrible dialogue and a heavy amount of redundancy throughout many of the cutscenes make what little inspiration that could be taken from them seem trite and when you, as the player, are taken out of control of the game and are forced to WATCH all the great action sequences, it makes me wonder how they can call this a "game" at all. When games like Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo 3, or even Resistance are out there, it is completely inexcusable to lack such a sense of immersion in a game that's taken this long to create. Expand
  52. GregO.
    Sep 30, 2008
    not a fan of this game at all, its the slowest paced game you will ever play in your life, online mode is not fun at all - slow paced and the weapons suck, graphically it is pretty good and the cut scenes are nice as well but then the gameplay starts - worst controls i have ever used and its is too slow paced! I wouldn't buy this if i were u - I'm trading it.
  53. CeeQue
    Mar 5, 2009
    Cut-scenes are well done. But the game is DIFFICULT!!! Maybe I'm not a "gamer" compared to most of the individuals who've rated the game already. I prefer a game with a challenge just but this is overkill...too hard. Will trade it for a different game. Ugh!!!!
  54. saasaasas
    Oct 11, 2008
    Piece of sh*t game. It's all made of hours of cut-scenes,the gameplay itself is medicore and boring. Don't spend your money on this trash.
  55. MikeW.
    Jun 12, 2008
    The story relies on a convoluted plat and paper thin characters with extrenous backstories, rather then relying on the sotry it self. Game looks great but there's nothing there that hasn't been done before.
  56. RaulR.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Hmm... Too many cut scenes.... And in-game advertising is lame for this kind of games... I mean, snake promoting Blu-ray, using a Sony Ericcson, and a 30 GB iPod, seems that Kojima is sold.
  57. JohnS.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Meh, boring, uninspired.
  58. JohnsonP.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Boring, poor graphics/textures, no surprise I didn't play more than 15 minutes like all others previously released Metal Gear, such hype, nothing to deliver, could have been released on PS2, too many videos, and too many fanboys giving it 10.
  59. KimN.
    Jun 7, 2008
    MGS4 is receiving Mixed Reviews with scores far lower than what Sony, Konami, and PS3 fans had hoped for. The most common review score is only 8 out of 10. As a result, it is not an exaggeration to say that MGS4 is the Biggest Disappointment of the Year. Even the games developer, Hideo Kojima specifically said that he was disappointed with the final version of the game. He specifically MGS4 is receiving Mixed Reviews with scores far lower than what Sony, Konami, and PS3 fans had hoped for. The most common review score is only 8 out of 10. As a result, it is not an exaggeration to say that MGS4 is the Biggest Disappointment of the Year. Even the games developer, Hideo Kojima specifically said that he was disappointed with the final version of the game. He specifically said that the game had problems with graphics (low-resolution textures), gameplay problems (areas with nothing to do), and storlyine problems (cutscenes that are poorly written and last over 90 minutes). There actually needed to be longer cutscenes, but the PS3 Blu-ray discs didn't have enough space. MGS4 really did disappoint a lot of people. Stores are reporting that many of their pre-orders are cancelled, and most people will rent the game before buying it. Expand
  60. GaruM.
    Aug 1, 2008
    Utter rubbish - actually ejected the disc after the fourth episode and took the game back for a refund - wanna buy a plane ticket to Tokyo to go and slap Hideo Kojima for this one - Ever since MGS1 the series has taken a down hill slope to garbage and this just proves it. If Kojima wants to be a film director, fine, just not on my dime - I wanna game not have to spend hours skipping Utter rubbish - actually ejected the disc after the fourth episode and took the game back for a refund - wanna buy a plane ticket to Tokyo to go and slap Hideo Kojima for this one - Ever since MGS1 the series has taken a down hill slope to garbage and this just proves it. If Kojima wants to be a film director, fine, just not on my dime - I wanna game not have to spend hours skipping through mindless monologue!! Expand
  61. CyrilS.
    Sep 10, 2008
    This is the first MGS game I've played and I must say it's a game for geeks, I don't need to mention the misery of hours of boring story (even skipping it all takes at least 10 minutes to actually play the game!) then obviously you don't really know what the hell your doing. Who wants to play a decrepid old man with a bad back who can't jump and moves about as This is the first MGS game I've played and I must say it's a game for geeks, I don't need to mention the misery of hours of boring story (even skipping it all takes at least 10 minutes to actually play the game!) then obviously you don't really know what the hell your doing. Who wants to play a decrepid old man with a bad back who can't jump and moves about as fast as a disabled snail. The 1 is for the fit birds in the cut scenes. Expand
  62. ErrolD.
    Sep 8, 2008
    Plain horrible, the controls were bad enough. They had to make it even worse. This is not a game, its a movie... 90 minutes of mindless story that does not make any sense. Do yourself a favor and never buy this game, save your money. Not to mention that the japanese version was better, and once you finish it, there is online, which felt boring and less than what you can expect on Plain horrible, the controls were bad enough. They had to make it even worse. This is not a game, its a movie... 90 minutes of mindless story that does not make any sense. Do yourself a favor and never buy this game, save your money. Not to mention that the japanese version was better, and once you finish it, there is online, which felt boring and less than what you can expect on multiplayer games. Disappointing. Expand
  63. DaveN
    Apr 18, 2009
    This is the worst Metal Gear Solid yet by far! It isn't a game, it's a movie! There's WAAAYYY too many cutscenes! Why are all these dumb fanboys giving this trash a 10?!?! There's like 3 hours of gameplay and 9 hours of cutscenes! The gameplay itself is boring! The original games were infinitely better, because they had sensible cutscene lengths and a lot more fun This is the worst Metal Gear Solid yet by far! It isn't a game, it's a movie! There's WAAAYYY too many cutscenes! Why are all these dumb fanboys giving this trash a 10?!?! There's like 3 hours of gameplay and 9 hours of cutscenes! The gameplay itself is boring! The original games were infinitely better, because they had sensible cutscene lengths and a lot more fun gameplay - MGS1 was the absolute best, MGS2 was very good and MGS3 was excellent; but this?! Ridiculous!! When I buy games, I want to actually play them, not sitting on my couch watching day-long cutscenes! I do that to watch a movie! Expand
  64. AnonymousMC
    May 25, 2009
    I've given it two for the graphics - the gameplay gets a zero as there isn't really any.

For those who haven't played it here is the game in a nutshell: over-the-top (and tediously long) cut-scene followed by five minutes of out-dated 'stealthy' gameplay (which also features the worst enemy AI since enemy AI began). Repeat until end. Yawn. Even the

Even the 'acting' in the cut scenes is terrible!!! When there are so many fantastic games on the market don't waste you money on this one - even on Platinum.
  65. EddieM
    Jun 4, 2009
    Thought I should give it a one for an original gameplay and a plot. However in my opinion they tried WAY too hard on something like this. For crying out loud, they have a virtual in-game music player installed in the actual game... The game isn't even about stealth anymore... I feel like I'm playing something from an arcade, only thing missing is the "insert more coins!" sign, Thought I should give it a one for an original gameplay and a plot. However in my opinion they tried WAY too hard on something like this. For crying out loud, they have a virtual in-game music player installed in the actual game... The game isn't even about stealth anymore... I feel like I'm playing something from an arcade, only thing missing is the "insert more coins!" sign, then it would be complete and maybe would have given this a better score. Another thing... A game is a game, not a damn 4 hour movie with a couple of interactions here and there. I mean yes, occasionally we all like cinematics that look as stunning as this game's, but wow, cut scenes that last 40min? What were they thinking? I want to know about the story, but then forced to skip all of it because it is so long and boring. Sorry for saying this, but I believe graphics do not make a great game. I thought MGS 3 was MUCH better than this one. I have 360, PS3 but sadly not a WII (yet). This is the reason why I spent $500 on... WOW for this? Sad.... really really sad. Expand
  66. DavidKeyworth
    Sep 14, 2006
    I voted 1 to balance out votes. Quite frankly, from all that is seen this game deserves a 1. I know, it shouldn't make sense, but hear me out. All we have seen is graphics and a little plot, and no gameplay. I have not seen a HUD, I have not seen the gun you use, I have only seen graphics, and graphics aren't what makes a game. I realize MGS has always been awesome, but wait forI voted 1 to balance out votes. Quite frankly, from all that is seen this game deserves a 1. I know, it shouldn't make sense, but hear me out. All we have seen is graphics and a little plot, and no gameplay. I have not seen a HUD, I have not seen the gun you use, I have only seen graphics, and graphics aren't what makes a game. I realize MGS has always been awesome, but wait for a GAME to review, not hopeful footage. Expand
  67. didodido
    Oct 24, 2008
    Sorry but I thought I was purchasing a video game... I guess I must have been confused because this turned out to be a long boring pretentious movie. Seriously when you have to sit through 20 minutes of cut-scenes before the actual gameplay starts you know something is off balance. Some of the dialog was just so ridiculous and laughable that I had to remove the game from my PS3. I wish I Sorry but I thought I was purchasing a video game... I guess I must have been confused because this turned out to be a long boring pretentious movie. Seriously when you have to sit through 20 minutes of cut-scenes before the actual gameplay starts you know something is off balance. Some of the dialog was just so ridiculous and laughable that I had to remove the game from my PS3. I wish I could meet the people who wrote this and tell them to just give up. Anyway I might be able to forgive this if the gameplay was actually fun. It just left me with a been there done that feeling. Unless your a die-hard MGS fan then just pass on this game. It will leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth. Expand
  68. MegaL.
    Jun 24, 2008
    METAL GEAR SOLID 4 has got to be the WORST Metal Gear game in the series since Metal Gear Solid 2. I wanted to play the game but after crawling and sneaking my way through a few small maps in several areas, I found myself having to suffer through countless hours of boring movie scenes. Even the ending didn't help redeem it in any way. The only redeeming factor of this game was the METAL GEAR SOLID 4 has got to be the WORST Metal Gear game in the series since Metal Gear Solid 2. I wanted to play the game but after crawling and sneaking my way through a few small maps in several areas, I found myself having to suffer through countless hours of boring movie scenes. Even the ending didn't help redeem it in any way. The only redeeming factor of this game was the boss battles which I hoped would only get better after facing off with Octopus but they actually seemed to get easier and more uninteresting until the major faceoff with the two metal gears beating the crap out of each other which was definitely the highlight of the game and I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was but let's be honest, the play control on the REX metal gear sucked. The last stand between Snake and Liquid where you are punching the crap out of each other was so horrible when it came to play control that I wanted to take my six axis controller and boomerang it at the programmers of this game. I am glad that Kojima will never make another Metal Gear title. What ever happened to the GREATNESS of Metal Gear Solid 3? Metal Gear Solid 3 was definitely the defining moment of the series and we should just leave it at that. If you want to not be disappointed, don't buy MGS4, it will only drain your wallet and leave you with a bad taste in your mouth of buyer's remorse. Borrow this title from any fool who was dumb enough to buy it. Expand
  69. FelipeC.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Great game, but only one more in the battle of this generation.
  70. JustinJ.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Nuff said. horrible game, wait for gears of war 2 later on this year.
  71. TeddyS.
    Jun 27, 2008
    When I bought this I was expecting a game not a movie.
  72. JeffF
    Jun 27, 2008
    This "game" is quite frustrating. There are more cutscenes than there is gameplay. The story makes no sense, the controls are clunky. I had very little fun with this game.
  73. Rich
    Sep 22, 2008
    Hours upon hours of boring (and increasingly ridiculous) interludes make this game pretty annoying... The gameplay is good but too short in comparison.
  74. BillA
    Oct 24, 2009
    Metal gear solid 4 is the worst of the Metal gear series. Extremly long ,pointless and boring cutscene is all you can sum it up for this game,and the actual gameplay is like 2hours.If you desire to play a good next gen game,Metal gear solid 4 is clearly not for you.If you could stand watching shitty movie,then you may considering buying Metal gear solid 4. The reason why Metal gear solid Metal gear solid 4 is the worst of the Metal gear series. Extremly long ,pointless and boring cutscene is all you can sum it up for this game,and the actual gameplay is like 2hours.If you desire to play a good next gen game,Metal gear solid 4 is clearly not for you.If you could stand watching shitty movie,then you may considering buying Metal gear solid 4. The reason why Metal gear solid 4 was getting good review scores is because Sony paid them,dirty trick that tries to lie consumer. Expand
  75. samellison
    Dec 18, 2008
    i would like to know how much these reviewers are being bribed because there is absolutely no way that this boring piece of junk can even get above a 3. this game SUCKS all you do is just walk around and try NOT to get into a gun fight. WTF? the whole purpose of a shooter is to shoot everyone and everything down. if i could have seen how awfully reduntant this game was i would personallyi would like to know how much these reviewers are being bribed because there is absolutely no way that this boring piece of junk can even get above a 3. this game SUCKS all you do is just walk around and try NOT to get into a gun fight. WTF? the whole purpose of a shooter is to shoot everyone and everything down. if i could have seen how awfully reduntant this game was i would personally expect this game to have a $100,000 check inside to apologize for the junk it is. Expand
  76. Apr 22, 2015
    Playing it, I felt disgusted by the gameplay, this stealth game? Wretched arcade, compared with splinter cell series. The game is just bad all ... except for some cutscenes
  77. Jan 27, 2015
    it's amazing how a lot of the professional reviewers acknowledge how bad the game is, namely in terms of storytelling and writing.
    I mean, beyond the game having more cutscenes than actual playing scenes, the story in itself just becomes so convoluted that nothing makes sense anymore.
    You also have the worst combinations of "anime" logic: grim ambiance mixed with "toilet humor", action scenes where the heroes NEVER DIE even if constantly out of cover and getting shot multiple times (unless they have cancer or something equally dramatic, so they can end with a long monologue). So you have a mix of attempting to portraying a grim future with nonsensical "action". And mechs vs swords.. let's not even get into that.
    Dialogue is even worse, as everyone is a philosopher and eager to share their generic insights as the great truths of the world. Great for the younger generations, I suppose.
    Another thing that was especially confusing was when they make a shocking revelation, the characters don't react much, only to appear terribly surprised when they go over the same topic AGAIN. I guess this is to make sure that those who fall asleep during cutscenes don't miss everything? So exasperating..

Then, what about the game?
    You've got stealth mechanics that are as good as they were a decade ago, with enemies going from blind to omniscient and omnipresent in seconds.
    Snake, for the legend that he is, can barely climb over a box, so you're pretty much railroaded from A to B, not a lot of a freedom.
    I don't play a lot of console games, and this is a good reason why: aiming and moving is extremely awkward and slow, leading to "battles" that look extremely awkward.

So yea.. I don't know. I remember loving MGS 1. MGS 3 I couldn't be bothered to suffer through the game parts. Now this. How can anyone put up with this, if not entirely blinded by the "coolness" factor?
  78. Oct 27, 2014
    While I was thinking what to write here for this score, I saw what one of the critics wrote. One called 'Kikizo'. He gave 10/10, but I was totally agreeing with his(her) words: Yes the game settings IS ridiculous and it doesn't make any sense. The acting is also absurdly bad... But then I lost the guy: No this is not MGS I remember (I played only the first one). MSG1 had very clean andWhile I was thinking what to write here for this score, I saw what one of the critics wrote. One called 'Kikizo'. He gave 10/10, but I was totally agreeing with his(her) words: Yes the game settings IS ridiculous and it doesn't make any sense. The acting is also absurdly bad... But then I lost the guy: No this is not MGS I remember (I played only the first one). MSG1 had very clean and well defined game-play, and this one is a mess. The story did matter then, and it's blown out of proportion now. The cut-scenes are uninteresting and absurdly long. Overall I am very disappointed with this one. But I hear many people like it... And while it might be overrated for what it is, you also may easily fall in the other camp of fans, who will actually enjoy the game. I did not. Expand

1. Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.