8.7

1. Mar 22, 2012
    Half movie, half game with stellar (and refined) gameplay fed through a socio-political plot that both forewarns and commentates. As with the rest of the MGS series, current and upcoming social issues and the fourth-wall are used as the tools to tell the story of 'mercenaries' fighting for the freedom of the world from war and tyranny. However, the problem "Guns of the Patriots" runsHalf movie, half game with stellar (and refined) gameplay fed through a socio-political plot that both forewarns and commentates. As with the rest of the MGS series, current and upcoming social issues and the fourth-wall are used as the tools to tell the story of 'mercenaries' fighting for the freedom of the world from war and tyranny. However, the problem "Guns of the Patriots" runs into is the difficult and highly criticizable realm of story/saga closure - which it doesn't fail at.
    The only real grip I have about the game is the insignificance of the obvious tie-ins of older characters to help settle the closure of the series; the characters where there for practically nostalgic purposes. Other problems would be the massive amount of cut-scenes (which are highly reasonable, considering the amount of story that is trying to be told) and simplicity of the bosses (relative to the rest of the series). But all these are magnified nitpicks.
    Overall, this game is great and shines well enough among all the great games of this generation to be considered an important step in video game story-telling.
  2. DanM.
    Jun 10, 2008
    Haven't got it yet, but have seen a leaked sending video, it will blow your mind with the ending alone, such a greart way to warp things up, I expect the rest of the game to be very playable just like the previous ones, but it deserves a 10 just for that end sequence in my eyes. Kojima please make a sequel to Snatcher now!
  3. mikeso
    Jun 20, 2008
    Most complete game created on a next gen system. Amazing gameplay and story this game will not disappoint.
  4. ColinM.
    Jan 30, 2009
    ***FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BUY MGS4, READ THIS*** First of all, I can easily say that MGS4 is hands-down the best game I have ever played. Why? That's what I'm about to explain. First, obviously the graphics. MGS4 is the second-best looking game (second to Crysis) and has the best Character Animation so far. Yet an overwhelming majority of readers and editors across many sites ***FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BUY MGS4, READ THIS*** First of all, I can easily say that MGS4 is hands-down the best game I have ever played. Why? That's what I'm about to explain. First, obviously the graphics. MGS4 is the second-best looking game (second to Crysis) and has the best Character Animation so far. Yet an overwhelming majority of readers and editors across many sites give MGS4 the Best Graphics of 2008. Thats because of the way the game blends graphics with drama and story-telling. Its one thing to have mind-blowing graphics like Crysis, but its another thing to actually use that to amazingly enhance the game. Just watch the Raiden-Vamp fight (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=R61cCBUWNQM&fmt=1 and you'll know what I'm talking about. Secondly, the Story. Now this is where newcomers get turned off. True, the story can get sometimes convulted (*cough* MGS2 *cough*) but the story and the way its presented with all of its twists and revelations, that makes your stomach flip 10 times over and takes your gut through an unrelenting roller-coaster of emotions is more superior than the likes of Half-Life, Halo, Fallout, etc. Its very sad that newcomers will not understand what I'm talking about. Why? It all has to do with the previous games. One of the greatest mysteries in the life of everyone who played MGS2 and MGS3 is "Who are the Patriots". We spent 7 years pondering that. 7 years! And now in MGS4 we get the shocking revelation that flipped our worlds upside down. Every single loose end of the series has been tied up. Spectacular. And the way the emotianal mood affects you during the end of the game is enough to make you cry. Thirdly, the Gameplay. OMG! This game is so professionaly designed! I mean, look at fallout 3. Those controls are unresponsive, broken, and the HUD sucks! But then look at MGS4. The HUD is beautiful, and the controls are extremely responsive. And the inovation in Game content is amazing! The Boss Battles are the best of 2008 and are so well-designed. The REX Vs. RAY battle is so astounding! Lastly, the epicness of this game. Of all the games you will play this year, you will remember this one the most. Even if you are a newcomer, and you play through the whole thing, you will be left speechless. VERY IMPORTANT! Even though this game is a masterpiece, not many will be able to appreciate it. These are the types of people who will not enjoy MGS4: -You hate cutscenes. No matter what game ur playing, you skip the cutscenes. -You are, how should I say, not so smart and cannot understand complicated conspiracies -All you like to do is blow sh*t up. Nothing Else. If you are not one of the above. Go out and buy the game. If you are a newcomer, play the previous games or go on wikipedia and search up the previous stories. Seriously. GET THIS GAME. Expand
  5. FunkyUncle
    Oct 5, 2009
    This game is utterly mindblowing along with the rest of the games in the series (especially MGS3). The graphics and presentation are the best I've seen in years. The audio work is also very good. Although the plot could be a bit more polished, the gameplay is superb. The variety of weapons and gadgets you can equip is huge. Games like this don't come by very often. I would This game is utterly mindblowing along with the rest of the games in the series (especially MGS3). The graphics and presentation are the best I've seen in years. The audio work is also very good. Although the plot could be a bit more polished, the gameplay is superb. The variety of weapons and gadgets you can equip is huge. Games like this don't come by very often. I would recommend this to everybody who owns a PS3. For those who gave this less the 8, you obviously don't know how to play Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots. Expand
  6. MazS
    Jun 26, 2009
    This game is absolutely amazing! It's just incredible the storyline is fantastic soo in depth you can definitely tell that they have put ALOT of effort into this game each subject has it's history each little detail has it's story. Find me another game like this and i'd buy it straight away.
  7. RyanRafferty
    Nov 27, 2008
    MGS4 is a necessity in every mans life. The greatest game I have ever played. Hideo is a legend. This game WILL move you. I promise. Story is brilliant. Word of warning! Make sure you have a box of Kleenex tissues next to you because your eyes will start to rain. It's that good.
  8. jamiec.
    Jun 29, 2009
    Anyone who has given this game below 8 is nit picking and for thoese giving ti scores of 1 and 2, just ignore them, this game is what a game should be like, an absorbing story with brilliant graphics and the ability to play the game how you choose, this game deserves more than a 94, its far better that gta5, this is the best game of the current generation, and one of the best games ever Anyone who has given this game below 8 is nit picking and for thoese giving ti scores of 1 and 2, just ignore them, this game is what a game should be like, an absorbing story with brilliant graphics and the ability to play the game how you choose, this game deserves more than a 94, its far better that gta5, this is the best game of the current generation, and one of the best games ever made, it is a work of art, and beautiful work of art! it deserves more than 10, for thoes who say there is hardly any game play, they are lying, there are so many small things you can find and do hidden in each level and will take weeks to uncover them all, the cut scenes and voice acting are mind blowingly well done and all using the ingame engine. Dont let anyone say this game is awful, thats blasphamy. Expand
  9. TomG
    Jul 1, 2009
    This is the greatest game ever made, anyone that thinks otherwise is nothing but a simple X360 fanboy, as i know for a fact that if this game came to the 360 they would buy it and praise it as i do.
    Everything is perfect, gameplay, story, graphics. It doesn't get any better than this.
  10. Jul 24, 2011
    I have to say this is an awesome game but I only recommend it to people who are fans and have followed the metal gear story. The story provides a fitting end to Solid Snake's final mission and answers a lot of unanswered questions and also gives lots of suspense. The game play is also very good everything has been improved and gives players lots of variety in choosing from lots ofI have to say this is an awesome game but I only recommend it to people who are fans and have followed the metal gear story. The story provides a fitting end to Solid Snake's final mission and answers a lot of unanswered questions and also gives lots of suspense. The game play is also very good everything has been improved and gives players lots of variety in choosing from lots of equipment and customizing weapons. Expand
  11. Mar 26, 2011
    MGS4 is overblown, pretentious and frutrating. It's also got more brilliant ideas, invention and "wow " moments then any other action game this generation! The only way i can describe it is a flawed masterpiece.
  12. Oct 8, 2012
    Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a title that exceeds all of the hype that was attached to the title.
  13. Nov 18, 2010
    Metal gear solid 4 is an example of a great game that could have been much better if it wasn't for the lousy dialog and unbalanced story. in terms of gameplay the game is outstanding. there are many things to do and the game never gets dull. oh wait i forgot about the cutscenes... the long ass cutscenes that go on for hours, diminishing the enjoyment and fun from the game. mgs 3 was aMetal gear solid 4 is an example of a great game that could have been much better if it wasn't for the lousy dialog and unbalanced story. in terms of gameplay the game is outstanding. there are many things to do and the game never gets dull. oh wait i forgot about the cutscenes... the long ass cutscenes that go on for hours, diminishing the enjoyment and fun from the game. mgs 3 was a fantastic game because it had great gameplay AND great story. apparently Kojima decided to go bananas with this game, creating a complex, yet idiotic story that barely makes any sense the more you keep playing. he took long forgotten characters from past metal gear games and brought them back even if they have nothing to do with the story. the graphics and music are ,of course, outstanding. in the moments that you actually get to play the game its fantastic. the game is a technical marvel and even today, a couple of years after it came out, it still has some of the best graphics and most polished gameplay i have ever seen in video games. I liked the first 3 mgs games because their story was consistent and logical besides great gameplay. It's a shame mgs 4 doesn't have it, especially considering it's the last game of solid snake's era. this series deserved a better ending. Expand
  14. Nov 25, 2010
    Just remembering about MGS4 brings a smile to my face. I avoid playing a game more than once (after I finished), but, with MGS4, I just can´t help it, it is so pretty and so fun that I keep coming back for more, like a crack cocaine addict...
    If you own a PS3, YOU MUST BUY AND PLAY THIS GAME.
  15. Sep 5, 2012
    An exquisitely crafted title that has as much stealth or action as you want.The story is very well told,but quite laughable unless you've invested the years to follow it (Sometimes even then).The very lengthy cutscenes are skippable,so no real drama there.The creator has a strange affiliation with cleavage,no matter the age of the woman,which annoys at times,as well as the actionAn exquisitely crafted title that has as much stealth or action as you want.The story is very well told,but quite laughable unless you've invested the years to follow it (Sometimes even then).The very lengthy cutscenes are skippable,so no real drama there.The creator has a strange affiliation with cleavage,no matter the age of the woman,which annoys at times,as well as the action consistently interrupting itself with cut-scenes.Even cut-scenes get interrupted with more cut-scenes.That minor gripe aside,MGS4 is a superb title that doesn't really achieve a masterpiece level status,but is pretty awesome nonetheless. Expand
  16. Mar 13, 2011
    i absolutly loved this game and yes the cutscenes are very long but if they shortened them then you would not have the same feeling of attachement to all the characters when they do it like this you actually find yourself worrying about the characters and wheather or not they will be alright or if they will face a tradgic end. also the game play is solid and the graphics are very good andi absolutly loved this game and yes the cutscenes are very long but if they shortened them then you would not have the same feeling of attachement to all the characters when they do it like this you actually find yourself worrying about the characters and wheather or not they will be alright or if they will face a tradgic end. also the game play is solid and the graphics are very good and even better than some of the games coming out today and some of the lines are genually funny. i am disapointed though that this is the last game they will make in this series but it is a good way to end a very succesful series Expand
  17. Oct 22, 2011
    This game is deeper than almost any game you'll ever play: Kojima and co. really thought of everything, way into the smallest details. It looks stunning, the gameplay is good, and there is a good story too, supported by the many amazing cutscenes. Sneaking is a lot of fun, and it requires some skill too, since you have to pay attention to many things - direction of the wind, how nervousThis game is deeper than almost any game you'll ever play: Kojima and co. really thought of everything, way into the smallest details. It looks stunning, the gameplay is good, and there is a good story too, supported by the many amazing cutscenes. Sneaking is a lot of fun, and it requires some skill too, since you have to pay attention to many things - direction of the wind, how nervous you are, et cetera. Sounds difficult, but is a lot of fun. The many easter eggs and small references to the world outside your PlayStation keep the game fresh and fun. Expand
  18. Aug 1, 2011
    Magnificent! This game truly is the complete package. Stunning graphic's, smart physics, excellent appeal and just an all around great game to play. The PS3 fails in comparison to the Xbox 360 but this game excels far above any average PS3 game. This is the one game on the PS3 that I Love to play and can game this for hours on end. The setting of the game is just fantastic and the storyMagnificent! This game truly is the complete package. Stunning graphic's, smart physics, excellent appeal and just an all around great game to play. The PS3 fails in comparison to the Xbox 360 but this game excels far above any average PS3 game. This is the one game on the PS3 that I Love to play and can game this for hours on end. The setting of the game is just fantastic and the story and characters are even better. This is the greatest shooter game I have played with a great story to match. This game is to good to rate!!!! Unreal!!!!! Expand
  19. Jan 1, 2012
    Awesome graphics, gameplay and sound.

There are however to many too long cutscenes which can not be skipped and it lacks a bit in the lasting appeal aspect (multiplayer not so great and there are no trophies).

Overall, awesome game to an awesome game series: 9/10
  20. Jul 18, 2012
    This game has too much cinematic, and I think it is major part of the game. The story is good, and the gameplay is good. I only hope they can make the next MGS with more game play, not saying the cinematic is not good, but game must have game play isn't it? Otherwise we are just watching movie that we can interact.=)
  21. Jun 20, 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots It's, probably, the best PS3 game ever. With the stealthy and strategic gameplay, great and realistic graphics, unforgettable and interesting story Metal Gear Solid 4 is a game that revolutionize the series even more. (9.7 actually)
  22. Sep 26, 2015
    This is quite possibly the greatest movie of all time. Hideo Kojima is a pioneer in film-making, right up there with legends such as Tommy Wiseau and Uwe Boll.
  23. Jan 19, 2013
    The story was great. It kept me interested but the final final cut scene really ticked me off in a lot of ways. Ninja Raiden was just a replacement for Grey Fox and he is still as annoying as ever. I was never a huge fan of Solid Snake, but this game actually manages to create an interesting story around him even if the revelations at the end ruin everything.

I love the game play. The

I love the game play. The controls are fantastic. While the early boss fights leave a lot to be desired, the last three are great. The new control system makes Boss fights much more natural and stealth much different. My only problems with the game play would be it being regularly interrupted by cutscenes and each act was shorter then the last. The environments are interesting, but you never get enough of any of them. The game looks great. Even today it's one of the most smooth looking games I've ever played. The returning roster of characters looks great in HD.

The music is just as good as the rest of the franchise, but I wasn't a huge fan of the credits song.

I'm not really sure that Replay value is there. Sure you can get more weapons and all the hidden tracks, but the story is really something that doesn't need replaying. It's good but nothing that is worth sitting through the long cut scenes again.

While in my opinion 3 and Peace Walker sit at the top of the pack, this is definitely the 3rd greatest game in the franchise.
  24. Oct 16, 2012
    One of the best games i've ever played and for sure the best in playstation 3....from graphics to plot this game is perfect....only resident evil 4 can compare with this game
  25. Dec 2, 2013
    The true sequel to my best game ever (MGS2). I played MGS4 when I first bought a PS3. Since I had forgotten a lot of the details from the series, I got half of the exprerience. Now, I decided it was a good time to refresh my MGS storyline, so I played through MGS, MGS2 and MGS4 (I plan to continue to the Big Boss games). Now that I have a full idea of what's happening and why, and alsoThe true sequel to my best game ever (MGS2). I played MGS4 when I first bought a PS3. Since I had forgotten a lot of the details from the series, I got half of the exprerience. Now, I decided it was a good time to refresh my MGS storyline, so I played through MGS, MGS2 and MGS4 (I plan to continue to the Big Boss games). Now that I have a full idea of what's happening and why, and also I've grown as a gamer, since 2008 is 5 years back, I can firmly say that it deserves a perfect score since it ticked all of the boxes and even beyond as a great sequel and as a story ending.

This is Kojima at his best. Both gameplaywise and storywise.
  26. Mar 21, 2015
    As a game was so good for that time, i recognize you hat there was better games like GTA 4 and Uncharted 1. But this was really good, i enjoy playing it, the CQC was really cool, the amounts of arms that you can use too, and i loved that you can help the terrorist and pass the missions in a different ways, something that we don't see on the metal gear saga before this game.

For the

For the graphics.....was else can i say, to this date (2015) it's so hard to find games with better graphics like this. By far the best game graphics by that time.

And for the plot and the storyline, another BIG 10 for this. I REALLY LOVE ALL THE CUTSCENES, i remember people telling me if this was a game or a movie.

This was amazing, and because it it's a game it's so much better than a overral movie, he can put codecs to additional information, the briefing flights, etc.

Other thing that i love was that Kojima tried to put the most possibly characteres of the saga, even the dead characteres are mentioned, and put some more like Drebin or Sunny. And we know that in the Metal Gear saga there are sooooooooo many characters.

There are so memorable cutscenes in only one game who it's hard to believe that we will see something like that them, and not to mention the emmotional means for every one of them.

We have the death of Naomi, the Meryl reconcialition with Campbell, The Vamp history, etc.
    We have funny things too like the monkey of Drebin, he Akiba thing, the cigarretes of Snake, the eggs of Sunny.

And we have very deep moments, when Snake returns to Shadow Moses (plus you can play the MGS1 game for 2 or 3 minutes), was the best moment on a PS3 for me, i put the console on pause and i remember when i was a child and play the MGS1 game, and the most amazing thing was that i was remembering everything, that was beautiful.

The only thing I don't like was the bosses, i mean there was 1 or 2 good boss fighting, but the characters wasn't that good like the amazing cobra unit, fox-hound or even dead cell. I love the Psycho Mantis part btw.

But the best reason to considerer this one of the best PS3 games ever, was for the final!!!!.

if you was playing this since the PSOne days, or even the NES/MSX days. Goddamn you wait so much time for that moment, so many years for that **** happen, it's true that was very predictable, but i was soo much deep inmeerse on the game and like we know Kojima, like you don't thing of that, after it happen.

Was very very beautiful. The Ocelot - Snake fight was on the same level too.

10/10 for this!!
  27. Mar 15, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a very enjoyable stealth game with an interesting story and characters, some may complain that the cut-scenes are too excessive as they pop up so often and last long, but if you don't mind that then you will find a gripping experience unlike anything else on the PS3, It's a tricky game to score since it really depends on if you are going to beMetal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a very enjoyable stealth game with an interesting story and characters, some may complain that the cut-scenes are too excessive as they pop up so often and last long, but if you don't mind that then you will find a gripping experience unlike anything else on the PS3, It's a tricky game to score since it really depends on if you are going to be bothered by long cut-scenes or not. If you don't mind then this game is definitely worth picking up, but if you don't want your gameplay to be interrupted very frequently then you may be better off picking up something else, nonetheless this is one of the best games on the PS3. Expand
  28. Mar 21, 2013
    Im going to begin with saying: I didnt consider MGS4 a game at all, It wasnt close to being a game. What it was however was a cinematic experience that got me Crying, Laughing and even getting angry because of the characters expressions and voices.

Its an amazing interactive movie, But it sure as hell isnt a full on game So everyone looking for alot of intense gameplay, dont turn this

Its an amazing interactive movie, But it sure as hell isnt a full on game
    So everyone looking for alot of intense gameplay, dont turn this way.
    For everyone who enjoys a good story however i highly recommend this game.

PS: Reason it was pushed down to an 8 was because of a thing in the end game, Dont worry it doesnt really concern the story, it was just incredibly tedious is all.
  29. Mar 27, 2013
    The final act of Solid Snake is here, a perfect ending for his story.

PROS: Plot, Graphics, design, music, voices, gameplay, online... As usual, mostly. CONS: Only fans of the saga will enjoy completely the plot of this game. The story is very intricate and complicated, so if this is your first time with a MGS game... Is the easiest MGS, isn't too difficult like others games
    The final act of Solid Snake is here, a perfect ending for his story.

PROS:

Plot, Graphics, design, music, voices, gameplay, online... As usual, mostly.

CONS:

Only fans of the saga will enjoy completely the plot of this game. The story is very intricate and complicated, so if this is your first time with a MGS game... Is the easiest MGS, isn't too difficult like others games in the saga because we have more options and helps in our mission.

Install each act.
  30. Apr 19, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the metal gear series and mgs 4 is one of if not the best one yet. the game is well polished and i find it hard to criticise it. if i had to say one bad thing about the game it would be that the game can sometimes seem to be more cutscenes than gameplay but if you are a long time fan of the series you will be used to this and it will be but a minor problem. overallI am a huge fan of the metal gear series and mgs 4 is one of if not the best one yet. the game is well polished and i find it hard to criticise it. if i had to say one bad thing about the game it would be that the game can sometimes seem to be more cutscenes than gameplay but if you are a long time fan of the series you will be used to this and it will be but a minor problem. overall kojima continues to deliver a high quality gaming experience with great gameplay, cutscenes and story telling Expand
  31. Jun 28, 2013
    What an amazing conclusion to Old Snake's story. The gameplay may be smaller when compared to other games and in the opinion of gamers that are more gameplay than story. The story is unrealistic but when has a game had a vivid and realistic story. The story is the product of a genius and it is even more rewarding if you've played the entire series. While the gameplay may have been short itWhat an amazing conclusion to Old Snake's story. The gameplay may be smaller when compared to other games and in the opinion of gamers that are more gameplay than story. The story is unrealistic but when has a game had a vivid and realistic story. The story is the product of a genius and it is even more rewarding if you've played the entire series. While the gameplay may have been short it was still was enjoyable and ran smoothly. No game-breaking bugs or glitches actually I don't believe there were any glitches or bugs. Graphics are so good that even games today can hardly compare them. AI corresponds and adapts to your difficulty with BIG BOSS EXTREME being the most difficult. The only this game a 9/10 is because so many gamers dislike the cut scenes so I do to be fair. This is not a game for people who don't the time to enjoy the story because in the end the story is the supreme feature of this game. Conspiracies, check. Old Snake, check. Stealth and espionage, check. Guns, check. Camouflage, check. Greatest video game I've ever bought, triple check. Expand
  32. Jan 24, 2015
    How can someone even say something negative about this game. One of the best games I have ever played in my entire life. If you're fan of the MGS series and haven't played this game you have do that, believe me. Masterpiece!
  33. Apr 8, 2015
    the perfect ending to one of the greatest franchises of all time. I have nothing bad to say about this game it was a blast the whole way through. the only thing I will say is if you are not an invested fan of the series or are not a fan of cinematic games than you probably wont like this game because you probably spend more time watching cutscenes than you do actually playing. that's not athe perfect ending to one of the greatest franchises of all time. I have nothing bad to say about this game it was a blast the whole way through. the only thing I will say is if you are not an invested fan of the series or are not a fan of cinematic games than you probably wont like this game because you probably spend more time watching cutscenes than you do actually playing. that's not a bad thing because the story and cinematic storytelling is the main appeal of metal gear solid games and this one just happens to be the most cinematic yet. and when you do get to play, the gameplay is nearly perfect and some of the best in the series. Stealth is not as emphasized in this game as it was in previous entries but the change to a more action orientated style of gameplay works really well and fits the story well. this is one of the best games in the franchise and is one of the best games of its generation. Expand
  34. Aug 20, 2015
    Amazing game with absolutely no flaws. I can't even think of another game that shines so much in the way of game play, humor and graphics. You would be doing yourself a disservice by not playing this game.
  35. Sep 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metal Gear Solid 4 delivers a great gameplay and cinimatic experiance for those who are fans of the series. Mgs has a very nice story with amazingly polished cutscenes that are long, but persinally I love the long cutscenes because for me it makes the story not feel rushed and really takes time to explain alot of gaps in the story (and lore) of the MGS universe. The stoy has been taking hit after hit of people not liking the nano-machine explinations for everything, but personally I liked it, it felt right and bang on for the setting and time of the story where technology is very advance and nano machines are used for almost every perpose. For a gamer that poors alot of emotions into games I felt this was a great ending to the legendary Solid Snake! For gameplay it was great with alot of variation to combat. When putting people in a head lock you have so many differnt ways to end your enemy! There are alot of guns, but you may only find yourself using a few of the same but if you choose to use other it can change up gameplay alot! You will recieve neat gear from bosses that you can use in new game+ and are really fun to use. If you are planning to go for the platinum you will find yourself playing the game with alot of playstyles to get all the games emblems which need at least 8 playthroughs. Metal gear solid guns 4 from start to platinum is a blast with an amazingly told story and great stealth gameplay (if you choose to play like that) that will keep you engaged for as many playthroughs as you choose to play. That is why I give Metal Gear Solid 4 a 10/10 as a fan of the lore and series, I highly recommend Snakes last mission. Expand
  36. Oct 19, 2014
    This is by far my favorite of the series! The length of the cutscenes are not surprising since MGS does have long cutscenes in general. Gameplay is a bit more like a shooter and a bit too easy. The story and characters and story are stronger then they have ever been. This game contains nostalgia, good characters, great story, an amazing final boss, and the perfect ending! 10/10
  37. Nov 3, 2014
    Four letters for this stunningly amazing masterpiece: E-P-I-C. Literally this is the Godfather/Citizen Kaneof the PSN exclusives for PS3. Just play this game or play legacy colelction and then this to get this game fully nonetheless this is a visually impressive and story rich classic. Public enemy pun: BELIEVE THE HYPE.
  38. Nov 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is not much I can say about MGS4 that hasn't been said already; it is a masterpiece. Yes, there are hours upon hours of long cutscenes and explanation, but for Metal Gear fans, including myself, they are all very fun and entertaining to watch. MGS4 is also one of the most emotional games I have ever experienced, watching Solid Snake go to the ends of the Earth to get this final job done is heart-breaking and makes you love the character even more. The ending is perfect, any fan of the series who has played the previous games, is sure to shed the tear. Rest in Peace, Solid Snake. We salute you. Expand
  39. Aug 21, 2015
    I cannot believe what this game did to me. It's the first time i cried this hard (i cried like a bab) on a videogame and it's the second time i cried like that (the first one being Breaking Bad's ending). The game has got everything: Great gameplay, excellent graphics, perfect sound and soundtrack and an excellent story. If you liked any of the old Metal Gear games, you'll love this one,I cannot believe what this game did to me. It's the first time i cried this hard (i cried like a bab) on a videogame and it's the second time i cried like that (the first one being Breaking Bad's ending). The game has got everything: Great gameplay, excellent graphics, perfect sound and soundtrack and an excellent story. If you liked any of the old Metal Gear games, you'll love this one, maybe not as much as i do but i can guarantee you'll like it. Expand
  40. Jul 13, 2015
    Master Piece.
    This is the best game I have ever played. It is.... words can't describe. It's so far beyond anything else out there that there is nothing to compare it to. Just play it.
  41. Sep 26, 2015
    Excelente Metal Gear, história complexa e emocionante, gráficos soberbos até hoje, jogabilidade precisa,um final simplesmente surpreendente, a unica coisa que falta é um equilibrio entre gameplay e cutcenes.
  42. solidzellmofasa
    May 30, 2008
    i bet my friend $400 that metal gear is going to win game of the year he bet on grand theft auto 4.gta is way over rated and i own the game it deserves a 7 and mgs4 derves a 10 this is way better than gta4 on graphics,gameplay,trill,story and lets not forget the legendary snake can kick the russians butt
  43. P.R.
    Aug 12, 2009
    I was never ever good at MGS, I've never beaten one before and played many. I loved it to death though. I wish I was better at that MGS because I wanted to play that game over and over again even though I only played it once. The camera angles are so much better than the previous games btw.
  44. mikemike
    Dec 20, 2008
    if someone puts in this game 5 or 0 just doesnt understand the story and that kojima is trying to end a perfect end with an appropiate sotry so all of you go to hell and learn how to play a game.Alsp please stop gaming you are just embarrasing it
  45. JohnF.
    Jun 21, 2008
    The perfect conclusion for the MGS saga.
  46. Samir
    Dec 13, 2008
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots deserves to be called the greatest game of the PS3 and one of the best games of this year.
    Every aspect of MGS4 is perfect.
    Fantastic graphics, soundtrack, storyline and gameplay.
    Truly a masterpiece. Kudos to Hideo Kojima for the creation of this great game.
  47. AndrewL
    Dec 5, 2008
    Best game of 2008, console-wide. The ability to play the game however you want is still astounding. The game welcomes a good challenge with an amazing array of levels to explore and countless ways to kill, trick or sneak around Old Snake's enemies. Although cutscenes can drag, the complaints never came out of me, I'd play the game in many sittings and experience a welcomingBest game of 2008, console-wide. The ability to play the game however you want is still astounding. The game welcomes a good challenge with an amazing array of levels to explore and countless ways to kill, trick or sneak around Old Snake's enemies. Although cutscenes can drag, the complaints never came out of me, I'd play the game in many sittings and experience a welcoming cutscene each time. I can't begin to describe how high I jumped out of my seat during Raiden's intro fight with the Gekko. For those who don't want to sit through the lengthy scenes, I can assume two reasons. 1) You are not a Metal Gear Fan (you couldn't possibly be..)
    2) Haven't learned that the cutscenes akin to Powerpoint Presentations show zero importance to the story. (and are easily the lengthiest..)

The game would recieve a nine for Big Mama's disturbing cleavage but Kojima allows you to skip scene so he's earned his point back.

The perfect game - a MUST have.
  48. JohnHarris
    Dec 6, 2008
    This game is a masterpiece in every way. Its graphics are amazing, the gameplay is addictive, and the story is really fitting for a metal gear game. The story is so emotional that I nearly cried when the game ended. This game will be remembered years from now as a true modern classic, and will be known as the greatest game in the one of the greatest series of games of all time.
  49. MichaelKahn
    Feb 18, 2009
    I'm rather disappointed at the gaming community for bashing this game for it's cutscenes. This game is a masterpiece and truly shows the peak of today's gaming. It shows the tragic end to a true legend. He was not a hero, he was just one man, a soldier who followed his orders. Solid Snake. Everything about this game was incredible. The writing was superb and was wellI'm rather disappointed at the gaming community for bashing this game for it's cutscenes. This game is a masterpiece and truly shows the peak of today's gaming. It shows the tragic end to a true legend. He was not a hero, he was just one man, a soldier who followed his orders. Solid Snake. Everything about this game was incredible. The writing was superb and was well portrayed my the characters movements in each cutscene. Then comes the gameplay. Some of you may be wondering if they focused too much on story and not gameplay. Nope, they managed to have absolutely flawless controls and a wide arsenal of weapons. There are 69 and many other additions! The presentation is well done. The game looks polished and runs at an excellent framerate that I didn't see drop once (it goes about 50-60 FPS). What is amazing though is how seamless the transfer from cutscene to gameplay can be sometimes. Every cutscene is done with the game engine. You may not be playing, but it is still gameplay. To prove it, you can interact in some cutscenes and zoom in at anypoint you want. Come to think of it, there are only two FULLY rendered cutscenes within the game. The story in this game is above any in any game series. It truly puts the whole entire story into a masterpiece conclusion. During the credits I was speechless and sat through the whole credit sequence. *NOTE TO ANYONE WHO BEATS THE GAME* There is. like in all MGS games, an audio playing at the end THAT IS SUBSTANTIALLY important! Back to what I was saying. As a console collector, this game will always be in my top 3 gaming collection tied with GTA IV for the #2 spot. Please buy this game, it is worth every penny and the multiplayer is definitely worth a shot. Expand
  50. ColinS.
    Dec 23, 2008
    I have never touched a PS3 before. I spent all my time playing Wii. I was never really a sucker for these big ass, violent gamwes everyone was playing. Then i played MGS4. I never played a MGS game before, but this one was simply amazing. The numerous cutscenes were actually very enjoyable, and dont listen to what anyone says; the cutscenes make the game more immersive. The graphics wereI have never touched a PS3 before. I spent all my time playing Wii. I was never really a sucker for these big ass, violent gamwes everyone was playing. Then i played MGS4. I never played a MGS game before, but this one was simply amazing. The numerous cutscenes were actually very enjoyable, and dont listen to what anyone says; the cutscenes make the game more immersive. The graphics were jaw-droppingly amazing. Easily the best of all
    time.
    This game dosent deserve 10, it deserves 11!
  51. AlanAsco
    Dec 25, 2008
    This is one of the few games that excel in every aspect where a game should. Graphics,story,game play, easter eggs, online etc. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game ever made even without its online i've beaten this game 21 times no B.S. and i MGO is my favorite online games followed by halo and gears of war. Metal Gear Solid 4 is an emotional game and is just amazing in every way IThis is one of the few games that excel in every aspect where a game should. Graphics,story,game play, easter eggs, online etc. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game ever made even without its online i've beaten this game 21 times no B.S. and i MGO is my favorite online games followed by halo and gears of war. Metal Gear Solid 4 is an emotional game and is just amazing in every way I almost cried at the games conclusion and also throughout. 11/10 Expand
  52. May 3, 2011
    its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the best game ever !! its the
  53. Jun 25, 2011
    Fantastic graphics, a great story (which is heavily tied in with the other Metal Gear Solid games) and excellent stealth gameplay round out the last of the MGS games. The biggest issue is that the game simply doesn't let you play it enough; it'll probably take a little over 20 hours to beat, but expect more than half of that to be taken up by cutscenes.
  54. Sep 11, 2011
    well i just started to review games because ive noticed a change w/ metacritic and decided it was time to view my voice, which is a non-biased and opinion of the overall exp with the game im rating. well to those who have yet to play this game.. now is a good time,lol.. 5-10 bucks to add one of my favorites to your library because i believe this game should be in everyones either havewell i just started to review games because ive noticed a change w/ metacritic and decided it was time to view my voice, which is a non-biased and opinion of the overall exp with the game im rating. well to those who have yet to play this game.. now is a good time,lol.. 5-10 bucks to add one of my favorites to your library because i believe this game should be in everyones either have played or own category. MGS4 well there is a lot of ground to cover with this game and there isnt enough space to describe the details and wonderful examples of developing perfection along w/ pretty cut scenes and visuals. this is one of those games which i cant help but smile when i think about it. there are many ways to tackle this game, many items to find and plenty of choices to make in regards to how you engage into the next act. stealth is my weapon of choice but can be very challenging which i always welcome in a game, a good but not frustrating challenge. it is a well thought out and designed game. snake has many gadgets and devices which allow him to be able to complete his missions in a tech savvy manner, also has an ipod to help him ease his mind along the way. he does smoke like a chimney but cigarettes help ease his nerves. snake faces the harsh reality of what is transpiring and his hunt for truth is emotional but he is a mans man and faces what ever it may be head on. people often take away from mgs4 because of some lengthy cut scenes , but i loved every moment of them and trust me when i say that the cut scenes do not take anything away from the gameplay or campaign, it adds a compelling story to it and i welcomed the story with open arms and was delighted with every part of this game, as far as glitches or bugs, well i will say this. NOTHING takes away the pure, wonderfully crafted game which i am a proud owner of. i bought this game years ago and to this day i do not see many games that can compare with the overall exp. yes games have new tech hence better capabilities as far as graphics etc, but in my honest opinion this game could be released next week and still would rank as a pure bred contender w/ "next gen gaming" thinking of this game is tempting me to put the disc in, thats how much i enjoyed it after playing through it 2 times already.

its a bargain bin game by value, but it is a gem by design and always will be.
    p.s. if you have the game you can download the official guide/mgs4 encyclopedia for free. that in itself was very impressive and large in content/detail.. great game
  55. Aug 17, 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots is the most fascinating game ever. The stealth gameplay is perfect, and the story is outstandingly written. The cutscenes are lengthy and perfect, and technically is amazing. Characters are perfect, and the voice acting is top notch. Not only the amazing, lengthy single player is here, even the addictive and fun multiplayer. If you have a PS3, youMetal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots is the most fascinating game ever. The stealth gameplay is perfect, and the story is outstandingly written. The cutscenes are lengthy and perfect, and technically is amazing. Characters are perfect, and the voice acting is top notch. Not only the amazing, lengthy single player is here, even the addictive and fun multiplayer. If you have a PS3, you should buy this game, because It's just perfect. 100 out of 100 Expand
  56. Jan 10, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4, in short is a very unique experience which for the most part is enjoyable. The main story took me around 20 hours to complete and delivered a satisfying ending. Handling missions the way the game intends you to is a rewarding feeling which requires a level of skill. The game doesn't hold your hand, which is great but would be even better if it's game play was perfect.Metal Gear Solid 4, in short is a very unique experience which for the most part is enjoyable. The main story took me around 20 hours to complete and delivered a satisfying ending. Handling missions the way the game intends you to is a rewarding feeling which requires a level of skill. The game doesn't hold your hand, which is great but would be even better if it's game play was perfect. Even when mastering the game's controls it would simply be a lie to say that it feels completely fluid. Although it's stealth and shooting mechanics are a major improvement on previous main titles there are times when the game feels sloppy and unresponsive. Visually the game is stunning but other than the 'Old Snake' start menu theme the soundtrack never really stuck out for me. Metal Gear Solid 4 has quite the complicated story line, and it's told through hours of cut scenes. This isn't entirely a bad thing though, as the story they tell is quite interesting. You grow to appreciate the games characters and you understand their relationships with each other as well as their importance to the MGS universe. Unfortunately it's hard to ignore the fact that they are lengthy and at times a chore to sit through. Although some of the action cut scenes were top notch, a handful of story driven ones felt like they could have been reasonably shorter. Boss battles were undeniably the highlight as they were both fun and engaging in a way that makes them very memorable. Although it's hard for me to agree with the countless amount of people who have given this game a 10/10, it does a lot right and is worthy of a 8. Expand
  57. Apr 27, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = A Cinematic dream. A Work of art. This IS Metal Gear Solid 4!!
  58. Aug 30, 2012
    By far the best video game I've ever played, I have played this so many times and it just keeps getting better, and the people giving it bad reviews have no taste in games
  59. JAce
    Jun 13, 2008
    It really is as good as it promised to be - maybe even better.
  60. ChrisO.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Absolutely brilliant. The best Metal Gear game ever. Yes there are a bunch of cut scenes but get over it.
  61. AbdulM.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is awesome. End of Story.
  62. BillieC.
    Jul 1, 2008
    If you're an idiot, the game's probably not going to make much sense to you. MGS4's plot encompasses three other titles. It's very complex and deep, though the Gears of War masses will think it's convoluted because of the required intellectual capacity. With that said, the gameplay is pretty much open to everyone, no matter where they stand in the IQ department. If you're an idiot, the game's probably not going to make much sense to you. MGS4's plot encompasses three other titles. It's very complex and deep, though the Gears of War masses will think it's convoluted because of the required intellectual capacity. With that said, the gameplay is pretty much open to everyone, no matter where they stand in the IQ department. The difficulty curve might be steep for newbs, but a half hour to an hour of practice will yield positive results. I would trust the critics, mainly IGN and Gamespot; most other media are really just trying to get their names out there. It'd be nice if metacritic would stick to professional sites/mags, but they don't. Guess we just have to deal with it. Expand
  63. ColbyK.
    Jul 1, 2008
    At last we have found a game that can only be described as Art. After decades of trying to be recognized as such. The game lifts you up and brings you down. t has been said that games can only become art when they can make their gamers cry. I cried during MGS4 (towards the end of Act 4), and I'm not afraid to admit it. A masterpiece.
  64. WilliamY
    Jul 8, 2008
    I love those people who troll and such, most likely with out even watching the trailer for the game let alone buying it. Most of them may be mad because they bought a 360 rather than the amazing PS3. All that aside, MGS4 was a brilliant game, the occasional bits of humor mixed with a scoring system that wasn't entirely pointless (Drebin Points) brought this series to a miraculous I love those people who troll and such, most likely with out even watching the trailer for the game let alone buying it. Most of them may be mad because they bought a 360 rather than the amazing PS3. All that aside, MGS4 was a brilliant game, the occasional bits of humor mixed with a scoring system that wasn't entirely pointless (Drebin Points) brought this series to a miraculous end. I did find a little distress in the long cut scenes, however they tell the story, though some of the times I just wanted to play. I have played the previous MGS games, so I watched the cut scene diligently, and even if you have no history with MGS, there are some funny things in the cutscenes... Amazing game, tons of things to do, I've played through it once already and I'm still discovering things to do the second time around. Expand
  65. AmigaGuruT.
    Jul 9, 2008
    Certainly one of the best games ever made, to everyone who havent played it yet, GET IT NOW! , if you don't have a PS3 then buy a PS3 for this game and then run on PSN and get SuperStarDust HD aswell, then you have the two best games in years.
  66. PedroV.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Where should I begin? Oh, yes. THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!!!! It's the perfect game for the PS3 (like all its predecessors). You can do all things you would expect from a stealth action game. I've heard that many people didn't like the game because of the many cutscenes but, you must accept it when you don't like films (well, I enjoy the lengthy cutscenes) and they are very Where should I begin? Oh, yes. THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!!!! It's the perfect game for the PS3 (like all its predecessors). You can do all things you would expect from a stealth action game. I've heard that many people didn't like the game because of the many cutscenes but, you must accept it when you don't like films (well, I enjoy the lengthy cutscenes) and they are very important to provide you with many informations about the story ( all MGS games are half-films and half-games. Good: + innovative control-system + great voice acting + great sound effects + it's the game with the most realistic graphics + great boss fights + human-like AI + not too easy but not too hard Bad: - single-player experience ends - MGOnline is kind of blah. Expand
  67. stuart
    Aug 10, 2008
    You have to play through this game several times.The game play if fun no matter which way you chose to play. I recommend playing it once run and gun and once stealth to get the full flavor. The best storyline of any game ever made. Inchworm FTW.
  68. JamesConvery
    Sep 4, 2008
    If there is one game the PS3 has been sorely missing since it's release, it
  69. Sep 17, 2014
    The greatest game i ever played. Gameplay is by far the best in any mgs. The stroy is also the most epic and closes in most of the gaps from the previous games. Cutscenes are long but i'm never bored when watching this. Also making snake old is a great addition since we were use to the prime snake who can kick any ones ass easily with no problem. Overall its my favorite game of all time.
  70. MeestYk
    Oct 10, 2008
    Simply the best PS3 ever produced. When you think of a game given credit for graphics you tend to think it's a crappy gameplay in it, BUT it's actually the opposite. Solid Metal Gear 4: Guns of the patriots is simply well made for us, gamers. It has a great story sequel, a great game interface, deep characters realizations, and the action is just intense. You'll feel Simply the best PS3 ever produced. When you think of a game given credit for graphics you tend to think it's a crappy gameplay in it, BUT it's actually the opposite. Solid Metal Gear 4: Guns of the patriots is simply well made for us, gamers. It has a great story sequel, a great game interface, deep characters realizations, and the action is just intense. You'll feel completely drowned in it once you spend just a few minutes playing it. Highly recommended. A must have for all gamers who love games with a full story, freedom to do what you want with the weapons and gear customizations and its universe. Plus there's plenty of cinematics to pull you even deeper into this game. As a result, Hideo Kojima and his team pulled off a masterpiece with this latest installment. I highly praise this game as the GOTY for the PS3 system without a doubt. If there were an 11/10 this is it. Expand
  71. Dec 26, 2010
    This game truly was magnificent... I agree with most that it will stand the test of time as one of the greats of all time. There were a few "cheesy" moments in the story if you ask me that didn't add much but as far as the scope and magnitude of this effort it is right up there with Grand Theft Auto IV. This brings stealth, action, weapons, upgrades, and a fantastic story with epic bossThis game truly was magnificent... I agree with most that it will stand the test of time as one of the greats of all time. There were a few "cheesy" moments in the story if you ask me that didn't add much but as far as the scope and magnitude of this effort it is right up there with Grand Theft Auto IV. This brings stealth, action, weapons, upgrades, and a fantastic story with epic boss fights. A truly memorable experience every gamer should check out. I'd give this a 94 out of 100. Expand
  72. Aug 29, 2012
    I decided to pick this up again after the August trophy patch. It is a beautiful game in my opinion. The controls have been modernized so it took some adjusting to (I had been playing the MGS HD collection). The movies and cut scenes are excessive though well done. My girlfriend will sit and watch and attempt to follow the story, as ridiculous as it is. Overall this is a fantasticI decided to pick this up again after the August trophy patch. It is a beautiful game in my opinion. The controls have been modernized so it took some adjusting to (I had been playing the MGS HD collection). The movies and cut scenes are excessive though well done. My girlfriend will sit and watch and attempt to follow the story, as ridiculous as it is. Overall this is a fantastic metal gear experience and I'm glad I had an excuse to play it again. Expand
  73. MarkD.
    Jun 14, 2008
    I'm not sure what's wrong with GameDaily, games(TM), EuroGamer or Edge, but I don't see how you can give this game anything less than a 90, if that. While it does have it's slow moments (a certain cutscene takes forever - but to show everything that is happening in one second usually takes about 10 in any game or movie), it always speeds up just in time. The ony thing I'm not sure what's wrong with GameDaily, games(TM), EuroGamer or Edge, but I don't see how you can give this game anything less than a 90, if that. While it does have it's slow moments (a certain cutscene takes forever - but to show everything that is happening in one second usually takes about 10 in any game or movie), it always speeds up just in time. The ony thing I miss from any of the previous games is the animals; while there are a few, there are not as many as in MGS3, but this can be expected. There are other minor details that could've been clearer, but then the game would've taken another year, and the extra dwelling time for the developers and gamers would've only damaged the title further. Also, the Mission Briefing and Act screens are a little lame. I can't really say much about what makes the game good, because then I'll ruin it for any who have not played it. Expand
  74. TaiTan
    Jun 22, 2008
    The best game ever created, period.
  75. AndreyK.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Probably the biggest blow out of the MGS sage. This masterpiece is just like a bible, thats puts all the stories in one, major point. Don't even have the words to describe it. Although I've never played MGS3, I still was able to pick the story connected to the previous parts (MGS1 & MGS2) and reconstruct missing link (MGS3). I'm not such a fanboy nor die hard gamer, but for Probably the biggest blow out of the MGS sage. This masterpiece is just like a bible, thats puts all the stories in one, major point. Don't even have the words to describe it. Although I've never played MGS3, I still was able to pick the story connected to the previous parts (MGS1 & MGS2) and reconstruct missing link (MGS3). I'm not such a fanboy nor die hard gamer, but for me , since MGS1, Snake had a special meaning. Especially after the last cut scene of the game, I almost dropped a tear. Expand
  76. Justin
    Sep 23, 2009
    Great game. Amazing storyline that gets confusing at times, but worth it. The cut-scenes are long but that makes the game so much better. I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 because of my inability to watch the epic Raiden vs. Vamp battle. The whole splitscreen that goes on is cool, but what use is it if all my attention is directed at not dying and killing a bunch of robots. Awesome game.
  77. EdgarVeríssimo
    Nov 25, 2008
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is pure genious, from the graphics to the gameplay which come together to create a very intense experience... crippled only by the fact that you almost don't need the controller due too an enormous quantity of cutscenes from the very start to the awesome finale...
  78. AlbertCiccon.e
    Nov 9, 2008
    This game was not intended for people to just pick up and play without any prior knowledge to the game. Calling it boring is just pathetic and inexperienced... Its kind of like an inside joke, unless you know what Kojima is expressing, your'e left completely out of the loop. That is exactly what Kojima was trying to achieve in this Fantastic Finel installment of MGS.
  79. JohnA.
    Jun 10, 2008
    OMFG this game is the best game of ALLL TIMMEEEEE What an amazing piece of software....best game on planet earth HANDS DOWN! Wow...just wow.
  80. Jul 15, 2012
    WOW! I am 4 years late on this one. That said the graphics look cutting edge. The atmosphere, storyline, game physics and attention to detail are beyind sublime. Play this game how you want. Whether it be stealth, blatant combat or a bit of both. The sheer depth of skills , items and weapons Snake can utilise (and customize) are mind boggling. MGS4 is the game of it's genre ever made. TheWOW! I am 4 years late on this one. That said the graphics look cutting edge. The atmosphere, storyline, game physics and attention to detail are beyind sublime. Play this game how you want. Whether it be stealth, blatant combat or a bit of both. The sheer depth of skills , items and weapons Snake can utilise (and customize) are mind boggling. MGS4 is the game of it's genre ever made. The last MG I had played was on the ps1 and that was some piece of work. Metal Gear online is defunct unfortunately but this is a purchase that doesn't need online , as a stand alone single player game it is pure class. Highly recommended. Expand
  81. Jul 11, 2012
    As much as I like Metal Gear Solid this game does not deserve the hype it's receiving. The controls feel more like a first person shooter than a MGS game, and don't even get me STARTED on the JohnnyxMerryl romance that should've stayed in fanfiction. This game ruins what made the first three games so mysterious by shedding light on what should've stayed in the dark. It is veryAs much as I like Metal Gear Solid this game does not deserve the hype it's receiving. The controls feel more like a first person shooter than a MGS game, and don't even get me STARTED on the JohnnyxMerryl romance that should've stayed in fanfiction. This game ruins what made the first three games so mysterious by shedding light on what should've stayed in the dark. It is very unconvincing to say the least. Drebin is very annoying and the B&B plot was executed very badly. If you're looking for the REAL Metal Gear Solid experience buy the HD Collection for PS3 and get MGS1 from PSN. I'd still recommend playing this game afterwards, but not as your first game as it may turn you off to the series. Expand
  82. Aug 24, 2012
    i bought the ps3 just to play mgs4, im a big fan of the best saga since the first metal gear in ps1, i cant say anymore, just play the best game of the history, the ending is so good that you would not play a game anymore lol seriously i cried at the ending
  83. JamesD.
    Jan 28, 2010
    There are few games which I would consider a visual masterpiece, nearer to art than any other form of media. MGS 4 Guns of the Patriots, is one of the closest games (in my opinion) to actually succeeding that feat. The game is simply a gorgeously outstanding masterpiece. The cutscenes are top notch and the Music is ever so compelling, it's just awesome
  84. MSchmid
    Mar 17, 2010
    A masterpiece. With the sole exception of there frequently being EXCESSIVELY cheesy and mindless cut scenes (which already ticked me off in older titles), and a fairly bad storyline, it is just great. Graphics, controls, sound, gameplay... all done to meet an extremely high standard. I also liked the fact that you are now not forced to sneak as much as in some of the other titles in the A masterpiece. With the sole exception of there frequently being EXCESSIVELY cheesy and mindless cut scenes (which already ticked me off in older titles), and a fairly bad storyline, it is just great. Graphics, controls, sound, gameplay... all done to meet an extremely high standard. I also liked the fact that you are now not forced to sneak as much as in some of the other titles in the series, though it still remains an option. Expand
  85. KevinR.
    Apr 30, 2010
    I hated the game at first. I got caught by enemies costantly and I died a lot. Then I finally understood how to play. I could sneak past hordes of enemies without them even noticing which is very satisfying. Then when I got a lot of weapons and got caught the shootouts were a lot of fun. There's a lot of replayability with the new game plus mode. A satisfying purchase in every way.
  86. MikeS
    Jan 17, 2010
    It's Easy To See How The Cutscenes Can Drag On And On To Some People. But only the kind of people that don't care about the story and just want to shoot things. And The Online Takes About An Hour To Set Up The First time, With Updates Which last over an hour. But none of this matters If you're looking for a great story, amazing graphics, Interesting characters and Brilliant It's Easy To See How The Cutscenes Can Drag On And On To Some People. But only the kind of people that don't care about the story and just want to shoot things. And The Online Takes About An Hour To Set Up The First time, With Updates Which last over an hour. But none of this matters If you're looking for a great story, amazing graphics, Interesting characters and Brilliant Stealth action. And, If You Can be bothered, the online is great too. Expand
  87. solfernandes
    Jan 20, 2010
    great game one of the best out their and a dam good reason to own a ps3 although cutsceans are long and are around every corner they are intresting but like every mgs game you do need a basic knowledg of the other mgs games for any thing to make any scense havent played the online though scencse the updates take a fantastic amount of time to download
  88. AaronV
    Jan 3, 2010
    Absolutely amazing. The only thing I regret after playing is that I can't imagine a better piece of gaming or film coming for a decade. I think most of the people who have played it will agree that anyone who gives a blatantly bad review just doesn't really get it. Some are even claiming to be long time fans. Cutscenes are too long? Says who, the Pac-man dev team? There are Absolutely amazing. The only thing I regret after playing is that I can't imagine a better piece of gaming or film coming for a decade. I think most of the people who have played it will agree that anyone who gives a blatantly bad review just doesn't really get it. Some are even claiming to be long time fans. Cutscenes are too long? Says who, the Pac-man dev team? There are varying genres of games, the MGS series is one in it's own, bordering on film, but not restrained by time. There are plenty of lame first-person shooters being pumped out of the machine if you enjoy them more. I'd say most real fans were sad to see it end. Someone even said it is too difficult. If the difficulty options were not clear enough at the beginning then consult the manual, or better yet try a more "child friendly" product, this is a game for adults. Being a fanboy and praising something you love is one thing and lots of reviews are guilty of that but getting pissed and giving a 0 to a piece of art you didn't even try and appreciate is just disappointing. Popular review sites and magazines generally have a good view of what is good and bad in this generation of video games(the same can't be said for film reviewers sadly). MGS4 follows and in some areas exceeds the previous titles in the series. It's fun, smart, different, beautiful, emotional, and engaging. Expand
  89. JoeR
    Jan 8, 2010
    This was the first metal gear game I've ever played, and while it was a little hard to follow not knowing the back story to it, I thought the game was unbelievably entertaining, and well worth the full price. I would recommend this game to pretty much anyone who enjoys stealth games and anyone who enjoys 3rd person shooters. I think what I enjoyed the most was the option to either This was the first metal gear game I've ever played, and while it was a little hard to follow not knowing the back story to it, I thought the game was unbelievably entertaining, and well worth the full price. I would recommend this game to pretty much anyone who enjoys stealth games and anyone who enjoys 3rd person shooters. I think what I enjoyed the most was the option to either sneak around enemies, or, if you were feeling a little bored of that, to just blow through them with your absolutely enormous arsenal of weapons. Fantastic game. Expand
  90. Randyb
    Apr 14, 2010
    MGS has long been a outstanding franchise and guns of the patriots is the single exception, It is a masterpeice. This game could be no better, the conclusion to solid snakes legendary adventures is the best installment in the series and the rest falls in line. First of, metal gear solid 4 is fun to play! the weapon upgrade system is great and the gunplay itsel is addicting to the extreme. MGS has long been a outstanding franchise and guns of the patriots is the single exception, It is a masterpeice. This game could be no better, the conclusion to solid snakes legendary adventures is the best installment in the series and the rest falls in line. First of, metal gear solid 4 is fun to play! the weapon upgrade system is great and the gunplay itsel is addicting to the extreme. Of course stealth is a supreme option as well and it transcends my old standards of what stealth in a game means. The story never faulters and returning to shadow moses is more then nostalgic. Most interesting component however is the characters, Old snake is fascinating and raidens redmption story is awesome. sound has always been important in MGS-hearing the "youve been detected" excalmation point is just as heart-racing as ever and the score is wonderful, using an ipod found n the game world you can play tracks spanning the series 20 year history-including metal gear one and two tracks-nd theres even in-game podcasts to listen to. Its not often a game is annouced and i have no doubts that it will be a great game, but when that game is by kojima productions i know it will be more then great, and Guns of the pariots is proof to that. Expand
  91. Val
    Dec 8, 2009
    No way can anyone not buy this if they have a PS3. That said, many people don't like it for no apparent reason. I think they are wrong in every way. This is quite honestly too good to be true.
  92. Tim
    Feb 23, 2010
    At last I manage to buy a PS3 and what else could be my 1st game other than MGS? before start playing I have always in my mind that this will be the last MGS this make me really sad but on the other make me expect a lot from this title, my expectations was not even half of what I have see and experience while playing this game.. HIDEO KOJIMA is a true Genius this guy manage to create the At last I manage to buy a PS3 and what else could be my 1st game other than MGS? before start playing I have always in my mind that this will be the last MGS this make me really sad but on the other make me expect a lot from this title, my expectations was not even half of what I have see and experience while playing this game.. HIDEO KOJIMA is a true Genius this guy manage to create the most crazy-fun-badass game this generation have witness he did it before with MGS1 and he did it again with MGS4 this game is truly a MASTERPIECE it's the MONA LISA of PS3 it's really hard to express with words how great this game is.. for the ones that didn't play it yet i am really sorry for you. Expand
  93. Dustin
    Apr 25, 2010
    Anyone who gives this game a negative rating has never played it, or just knows nothing about video games. It combines great weapons and gadgets with an AMAZING storyline that fits well into the series.
  94. EddieH.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Cinematically wonderful, and stealth/action has never been so great. This is the type of game that all its moments will live in your head for days to come. If there is one game you can only play, make it Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. You will not be disappointed!
  95. TyeS
    Dec 4, 2009
    There is no way around it. This game is amazing. You can literally feel the love that Kojima put into this game seeping out of every gorgeous cutscene and every amazing boss fight. If the gameplay of previous MGS bothered you then sorry to say that not much has changed. But if you love the MGS series and embrace all of its game mechanics as simply part of the experience than get ready for There is no way around it. This game is amazing. You can literally feel the love that Kojima put into this game seeping out of every gorgeous cutscene and every amazing boss fight. If the gameplay of previous MGS bothered you then sorry to say that not much has changed. But if you love the MGS series and embrace all of its game mechanics as simply part of the experience than get ready for not only one of the greatest games on the PS3, but one of the greatest games of all time. Expand
  96. PatrickM.
    Jan 15, 2010
    Greatest game ever
  97. MikeB.
    Jan 21, 2010
    I think that this is one of the greatest games of all time. Some games suck, some are fun, some are a work of art, but this is truly a masterpiece. Even with the risk of overgeneralizing, I am going to say that anyone who says that this game is less than an 8 is full of crap - it's just not their type of game.
  98. JulianB
    Jan 24, 2010
    An incredibly engaging and memorable game. As a precaution to those who are unfamilar with the MGS franchise I would definately encourage you to play the previous MGS games first (because MGS4 sticks to the established formula of long cutscenes intertwined between gameplay) so you'll know what to expect. It's not for those with short attention spans (waah..long cut scenes..waah. An incredibly engaging and memorable game. As a precaution to those who are unfamilar with the MGS franchise I would definately encourage you to play the previous MGS games first (because MGS4 sticks to the established formula of long cutscenes intertwined between gameplay) so you'll know what to expect. It's not for those with short attention spans (waah..long cut scenes..waah. I want to play a game, not watch a movie..wahh). Personally I was perfectly entertained by the cut scenes. And as an MGS fan they were to be expected. The production value of the game is through the roof. Amazing graphics, great voice acting and great sound design (the weapons sounds are great). This game definately gives you the feeling of being a bad ass, battle hardened soldier. If you're a fan of the MGS series and don't have the attention span of a 5 year old then...Buy..this...game. Expand
  99. Nuno
    Feb 11, 2010
    Ignore all the xbots comments. Anyone who gives a rating bellow 7 hasn't played MGS4 and all he's seen are some trailers or are jealous of not having this on the 360/PC. If you are new to the series, then it might be a bit hard to catch up the plot, even tho you don't need to know it exactly. Case you're interested, you have wikipedia and Metal Gear Solid Database Ignore all the xbots comments. Anyone who gives a rating bellow 7 hasn't played MGS4 and all he's seen are some trailers or are jealous of not having this on the 360/PC. If you are new to the series, then it might be a bit hard to catch up the plot, even tho you don't need to know it exactly. Case you're interested, you have wikipedia and Metal Gear Solid Database avaiable, for free, in the psn. Anyway, the graphs are still one of the best of this generation, few can top it, and it's simply epic. "If i wanted to see a movie I'd go to the cinema" -> This is the most retarded sentence of all time. OF ALL TIME. Just go play MW you 12 years-old. Don't think, just buy this game if you don't have it. The Online will also give you many, many hours of gameplay as well. Expand
  100. BennyG
    Feb 12, 2010
    This is absolutely the greatest game in the mgs series period. It wraps up all the questions and just gives the best performance over anything out today. Not to mention i've logged like 600 hours on the online mode, which is just another plus to get me to keep coming back to the game.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.