8.7

1. May 19, 2012
    This is one of the best games of all time. the game has some of the best gameplay, graphics, story, music and characters that can be found in video games. there is a right way and a wrong way to play this game. Metal gear solid is a sneaking game, and thats how its previous games played, but this can also be played like an action game. dont do that. if you see someone complaining aboutThis is one of the best games of all time. the game has some of the best gameplay, graphics, story, music and characters that can be found in video games. there is a right way and a wrong way to play this game. Metal gear solid is a sneaking game, and thats how its previous games played, but this can also be played like an action game. dont do that. if you see someone complaining about cutscenes, they have not played the previous games, as the number of cutscenes are genuinly required to conclude all issues from the previous games, and maintain its own stroy, which is does perfectly by the end. Expand
  2. Jun 3, 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will surely set the bar for this generations in terms of quality, and should be the benchmark for a truly great game.
  3. Jun 2, 2012
    A MUST-PLAY game for any PS3 owners. I never played any MGS series, but had no problems enjoying MGS4. So perfect in every way. If you're in doubt, play for first 30 minutes. I can assure you that you'd be agreeing with many people who'd give a perfect score.
  4. Jul 6, 2012
    This is basically the best game I have ever played, the story is awesome, the gameplay is awesome, and it is also super balanced, you can decide if you want to be low profile or go guns blazing , the characters are awesome, the sneaking is awesome,the voice acting is awesome, for a 2008 game graphics are awesome, and metal gear online is awesome, and this game will keep you engaged , andThis is basically the best game I have ever played, the story is awesome, the gameplay is awesome, and it is also super balanced, you can decide if you want to be low profile or go guns blazing , the characters are awesome, the sneaking is awesome,the voice acting is awesome, for a 2008 game graphics are awesome, and metal gear online is awesome, and this game will keep you engaged , and also it will keep you in the edge of your seat from the first second you are playing to the climatic battle at the end of the title, this is an easy 10/10 Expand
  5. Jul 4, 2012
    There is nothing I can say that any critic or user hasn't already said. This is objectively and subjectively the best gaming experience in the history of video games. Epic doesn't cut it, it's just out of this world and universe.
  6. Aug 7, 2012
    I have played the game myself, 2 times, a while ago. But with the trophy's just kicked in, I picked the game from my shelf, just to play it again, and go hunting' (except for the platinum, 'cause the Big Boss Extreme title is waaay over my possibilities). Playing the game, the past two days again I realized why I fell in love with in in the beginning. The gameplay is so revolutionary, theI have played the game myself, 2 times, a while ago. But with the trophy's just kicked in, I picked the game from my shelf, just to play it again, and go hunting' (except for the platinum, 'cause the Big Boss Extreme title is waaay over my possibilities). Playing the game, the past two days again I realized why I fell in love with in in the beginning. The gameplay is so revolutionary, the story is awesome (even when I haven't played the other parts, which I will once I get the HD collection), music is bone-chilling great, but most of all: the interactions and AI are awesome. Further... I'm speechless. Definitely a must buy. Expand
  7. Aug 20, 2012
    i played it afeter 3 years, and it's still being the best for me, graphics, history, gameplay, characters, all its perfect in it, if you played all of the Metal Gears befores you should buy this game and if you dont, then what are you waiting for?
  8. Aug 24, 2012
    i bought the ps3 just to play mgs4, im a big fan of the best saga since the first metal gear in ps1, i cant say anymore, just play the best game of the history, the ending is so good that you would not play a game anymore lol seriously i cried at the ending
  9. Feb 9, 2013
    This may just be the best ps3 game i have this is so amazing if anyone says the game sucks because there are too many cut scenes then they have not played any good games this game gave me 12+ hours of fun its just too bad konami stopped online mode before i could try it out.
  10. Jan 20, 2013
    One of the most touching games ever existed or to be exist. Totally worth your money spent on your ps3 system.
  11. Feb 26, 2013
    Um jogo OBRIGATÓRIO para quem for adiquirir um PS3: gráficos maravilhosos, história boa e temática, personagens memoráveis retornam. O final bastante decepicionante (mas nem chega perto do final de Mass Effect 3), mas a jogatina boa.
  12. Oct 11, 2012
    I don't really know what to say about this one as I had played it back when it came out and got stuck on a level. By the time I decided I should try to play it again my PS3 died on me. So with a new PS3 and the HD collection underway I figured it was time for me to finish off the game. Turns out I had 15 minutes of gameplay left plus the final cutscenes. From what I remember playing II don't really know what to say about this one as I had played it back when it came out and got stuck on a level. By the time I decided I should try to play it again my PS3 died on me. So with a new PS3 and the HD collection underway I figured it was time for me to finish off the game. Turns out I had 15 minutes of gameplay left plus the final cutscenes. From what I remember playing I really enjoyed the game and all the gadgetry. I like the fact that you could shop anywhere you were and that there was no shortage of weaponry. The story is to blurry for me to comment on so I will just say that it had its moments, it was confusing, interesting to listen to, but confusing. Glad I played it and may return to it after I finish the HD Collection. Expand
  13. Oct 28, 2012
    It's a game. Yes it is but it feels much more than that. You immediatly get in the storyline which you have to pay attention and be familiarized with the MGS universe. The action feels absolutely brilliant and sometimes you forget you're playing a game but living an experience. That's MGS 4.
  14. Oct 16, 2012
    One of the best games i've ever played and for sure the best in playstation 3....from graphics to plot this game is perfect....only resident evil 4 can compare with this game
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    it's hard to describe a game like metal gear solid 4. i have to admit, i'm no big fan of the 'shooter' genre, actually i often get tired of most of those games after some hours playing. but like ME2, MGS4 is so much more than just another Cod (for instance). The characters, story, emotions....are simply not of this world. don't miss this game at all costs!
  16. Nov 21, 2012
    Although I love the MG series and characters, I
  17. Dec 28, 2012
    It's a 10 from me. No explanation needed as it's Metal Gear Solid...But i shall digress...Kojima, you beautiful man you! Graphics are top class, even 4 years later...The story is phenom - enal! Plenty of twists and turns, a few nostalgic moments and an emotional rollercoaster that sometimes surpasses what some hollywood films can produce. If you own a PS3 but not this game, you're a penis.
  18. Mar 26, 2013
    Metal gear solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the greatest game I have ever played. Plain and simple. Incredible breathtaking story with a completely new control scheme that offers some of the most innovative stealth mechanics to date. A pure masterpiece all the way to its core. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this game. It's as perfect as a video game could possibly get.
  19. Feb 10, 2013
    On it's own, it's a great stealth game, but if you played the whole series it's even better. If you love the story of Big Boss, and his clones, you have to play this game. What you will get is one of the most satisfying endings of video game history ever.
  20. Mar 20, 2013
    This is my favourite game of all time so I'm probably a little biased towards MGS4. Kojima managed to make one of the greatest sequels ever made which became my favourite game of this generation in the years to come. I'll admit it took a few years for me to actually appreciate the game after playing all of it's predecessor's in the HD collection which is one of the best HD collections outThis is my favourite game of all time so I'm probably a little biased towards MGS4. Kojima managed to make one of the greatest sequels ever made which became my favourite game of this generation in the years to come. I'll admit it took a few years for me to actually appreciate the game after playing all of it's predecessor's in the HD collection which is one of the best HD collections out there at the moment, once I had played through Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater and Peace Walker I returned to Guns of the Patriots. Once completing the game I realised how much I actually appreciated the game, it's amazing story, awesome gameplay, outstanding visuals and those cut-scenes, oh man I love the cut-scenes. The emotional connection I had with the game once the credit's ended, I felt happy and sad at the same time. I won't spoil anything because of the level of perfection in the game but if you want to play it, I recommend that you play MGS1 3 and Peace Walker first to get the full benefit of the game, It's Metal Gear Solid 4: Gun's of the Patriots! Expand
  21. Apr 1, 2013
    An amazing game. A must have for everyone. The cut scenes are damn long and give the game that cinematic feeling. The controls are changed to be more like modern shooters like Uncharted or Gears of War. It even put in a cover system (Well kind of. It was more meant to press against walls for stealth, but it can act as cover.) Just to tell you, there is less gameplay in MGS4 than theAn amazing game. A must have for everyone. The cut scenes are damn long and give the game that cinematic feeling. The controls are changed to be more like modern shooters like Uncharted or Gears of War. It even put in a cover system (Well kind of. It was more meant to press against walls for stealth, but it can act as cover.) Just to tell you, there is less gameplay in MGS4 than the others. One thing good about the cut scenes is you can pause them. It's highly recommended that you play the previous games or at least know the previous game's stories as the game makes references from the old games and use them for story elements. Especially characters. There are a lot of weapons and items, but a lot of them are lethal which is a little odd to me. The game also seems to like to use psychology from time to time. This is seen in characters, as a gameplay element, and some story elements. Unfortunately, Metal Gear Online as been shut down so don't expect seeing it. Overall this is the best game in terms of stealth (screw you Assassin's Creed.) I would give this game a 100. But I can't. That sucks. Expand
  22. Apr 6, 2013
    if not the best PS3 game ever created the series should have stayed PS3 exclusive now the series kinda sucks all they are making are prequels MGS4 is the perfect conclusion to the metal gear saga i dont want any prequels or sequels that will mess up this master piece cuz doing that is only messing up the series further more Kojima please cancel MGS V
  23. Apr 9, 2013
    It was so sad to see the end of this game since I wanted to continue it still for hours and hours! The perfect end for a perfect game! The only one not perfect thing could be just found in the cut-scenes lenght which I really enjoied but I admit that I heard a lot of complains about this.
  24. May 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ending of a great man, solid snake. I always liked the solid snake more than big boss so this might be the best, epic, last solid snake appearing game in the series. Bosses are a bit lame, and some conversions are a bit long (especially on the plane and briefing scenes). Expand
  25. Dec 23, 2013
    "Legends die hard and deserve a heroic story that lives on when they are gone. Metal Gear Solid 4 is such an ending for the legendary warrior Solid Snake. Not only does it sum up the full franchise of Metal Gear, its depth and its complexity, coupled with its technical prowess, make it one of the best games of the year and, indeed, one of the best games ever made. Get some well earned"Legends die hard and deserve a heroic story that lives on when they are gone. Metal Gear Solid 4 is such an ending for the legendary warrior Solid Snake. Not only does it sum up the full franchise of Metal Gear, its depth and its complexity, coupled with its technical prowess, make it one of the best games of the year and, indeed, one of the best games ever made. Get some well earned rest, Snake. You've earned it. We salute you." Expand
  26. Jul 19, 2013
    I have played Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and they are amazing, epic and both have epic stories and gameplay but i can't just compare them to Metal Gear Solid 4. This game is E.P.I.C. The cut screens may be huge but they are important to the story. Everything is perfect in this game, the characters, the gameplay, THE SONGS (Epic soundtrack). A huge amount of emotions is presentI have played Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and they are amazing, epic and both have epic stories and gameplay but i can't just compare them to Metal Gear Solid 4. This game is E.P.I.C. The cut screens may be huge but they are important to the story. Everything is perfect in this game, the characters, the gameplay, THE SONGS (Epic soundtrack). A huge amount of emotions is present in this game from the beginning to the end, this game won't disappoint long therm fans or newcomers. One of the best action/ stealth game ever and one of the best PS3 games. I could tell you 100 more things that make this game perfect, but i will just tell you the top reasons:
    1. Epic story.
    2. Great (Boss) fights.
    3. Epic soundtrack (the main menu music is so good).
    4. Great gameplay, great weapons and gadgets.
    5. Great war atmosphere.
    6. Great cut screens.
    7. Epic ending.
    8. I don't know if i forgot anything but i think that are the most important reasons.

I like Konami games, especially Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill but this is my favorite Konami game.
  27. Mar 21, 2015
    As a game was so good for that time, i recognize you hat there was better games like GTA 4 and Uncharted 1. But this was really good, i enjoy playing it, the CQC was really cool, the amounts of arms that you can use too, and i loved that you can help the terrorist and pass the missions in a different ways, something that we don't see on the metal gear saga before this game.

For the

For the graphics.....was else can i say, to this date (2015) it's so hard to find games with better graphics like this. By far the best game graphics by that time.

And for the plot and the storyline, another BIG 10 for this. I REALLY LOVE ALL THE CUTSCENES, i remember people telling me if this was a game or a movie.

This was amazing, and because it it's a game it's so much better than a overral movie, he can put codecs to additional information, the briefing flights, etc.

Other thing that i love was that Kojima tried to put the most possibly characteres of the saga, even the dead characteres are mentioned, and put some more like Drebin or Sunny. And we know that in the Metal Gear saga there are sooooooooo many characters.

There are so memorable cutscenes in only one game who it's hard to believe that we will see something like that them, and not to mention the emmotional means for every one of them.

We have the death of Naomi, the Meryl reconcialition with Campbell, The Vamp history, etc.
    We have funny things too like the monkey of Drebin, he Akiba thing, the cigarretes of Snake, the eggs of Sunny.

And we have very deep moments, when Snake returns to Shadow Moses (plus you can play the MGS1 game for 2 or 3 minutes), was the best moment on a PS3 for me, i put the console on pause and i remember when i was a child and play the MGS1 game, and the most amazing thing was that i was remembering everything, that was beautiful.

The only thing I don't like was the bosses, i mean there was 1 or 2 good boss fighting, but the characters wasn't that good like the amazing cobra unit, fox-hound or even dead cell. I love the Psycho Mantis part btw.

But the best reason to considerer this one of the best PS3 games ever, was for the final!!!!.

if you was playing this since the PSOne days, or even the NES/MSX days. Goddamn you wait so much time for that moment, so many years for that **** happen, it's true that was very predictable, but i was soo much deep inmeerse on the game and like we know Kojima, like you don't thing of that, after it happen.

Was very very beautiful. The Ocelot - Snake fight was on the same level too.

10/10 for this!!
  28. Jun 27, 2013
    Five years later this game still holds up as one of the best ever released on the console. Everything about it is perfect for fans of the title's previous releases. Yeah, there are a lot of cut scenes, but you know that's going to happen when you're walking into a MGS game. Bottom line, one of the best games ever made on any system.
  29. Mar 23, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is an absolutely phenomenal game! This along with Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us should be the measuring stick to which all other games compare not only their quality but their stories as well!
  30. Jun 13, 2013
    What can I say?
    It was such a delight playing this superb game.
    It has everything that an art fan want to check on a piece of art. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the reason that i play video-games, it really can fill my need to trans-hip my mind, or meditate during the little time that I have with a controller in my life. Yes, you may say that the action is a little bit jammed or sticky, or
    What can I say?
    It was such a delight playing this superb game.

It has everything that an art fan want to check on a piece of art.
    Yes, you may say that the action is a little bit jammed or sticky, or the complexity of asian novels during the cutscenes is too high, or the battles of some super big robots reminds you asian animes or comics, well, that's just a small part that in nothing harms the game itself. Because the profundity of the story and characters is so immense and emotional that your ''judging mind'' will completely disappear.
    As the moral values and the nowadays problems who affects not just soldiers but ''us'' too.
    The perfections of a whole, make the imperfections perfections.
  31. Jun 16, 2013
    Completed this game around 9 times, and believe me it does not get old, If you do buy this, remember you will be investing in a franchise because after completing this you will definalty be addicted and will probably spend tonnes of money paying for all the others.
  32. Sep 8, 2013
    Simply one of the absolute greatest games I have ever played. Instead of telling you what's GREAT about it because you can read any of the good reviews to know that, I'm going to tackle the criticisms.

Cutscenes The total length of time for the cutscenes clocks in at about 9.5 hours. That seemed a lot to me at first, but the scenes are so well done that if you are a fan of the series then you won't care.

Graphics They're fantastic, especially for 2008's standards.

Story I thought MGS2 was a bit convoluted, but this one was pretty easy to follow.

Gameplay This one I didn't get. I played the game the way it should be played (Stealthily) and I thought there was plenty of gameplay. I also like exploring and acquiring items. If you just Rambo your way through the game then yeah, it's gonna feel light on gameplay, but these games aren't SUPPOSED to be played that way.

With that said, I understand these games aren't for everyone, and I wouldn't suggest this to anyone who hasn't played any of the other games. It does, however, deserve a 10 in my opinion.
  33. Aug 26, 2013
    This game is a legend in it's own right. Hideo Kojima did an amazing job for this game and it is a thrilling conclusion to Solid Snake. The game is truly breathtaking. The visuals are some of the best on the system and the splatter effects are quite well implemented. Environments are fantastic. All are well detailed and just a pure joy to explore. Sound is also used very well, you can hearThis game is a legend in it's own right. Hideo Kojima did an amazing job for this game and it is a thrilling conclusion to Solid Snake. The game is truly breathtaking. The visuals are some of the best on the system and the splatter effects are quite well implemented. Environments are fantastic. All are well detailed and just a pure joy to explore. Sound is also used very well, you can hear everything that is going on around you. Gameplay is great. Everything fits well. People may complain that it is a bit like a third-person shooter game, but there are many moments were stealth can and is implemented. The Drebin Shop system is a unique addition to the game. It is surprising about how well Kojima implemented it into the game. People may also complain about that. Here's an interesting bit of trivia, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. The game also carries over the stealth mechanics of camouflage from MGS3 and it works well with the game. Another new addition is the Psyche Gauge. It works much like the stamina gauge from MGS3, but this gauge is affected by stress that Solid Snake feels in the game, such as when he is being chased by guards or in an intense firefight. To replenish it, one must find a place to hide and wait for Snake's stress to lower so that the Psyche can recover. It's well used and it makes sense, after all, Snake is old. Controls are really tight. It works really well. The soundtrack is great. The orchestral scores are easily some of the best in the series. Boss battles are incredibly memorable and are some of the best. The last fight, is easily the best in the series. Lastly, the story is amazing. People complain about the long cutscenes, but you can pause it. The cutscenes are paint easily the most fantastic story in all of gaming. And people complain about how the story is unlikely. That is not true. The Patriots is a secret society, and our world is full of them. War is a present theme of the story, and it's foretelling a war economy which our world seems to be going towards slowly. As for the nanomachines, well, it is entirely possible. The story is beautiful, yet bleak and completely possible. The story is sad because all throughout it, people who are close to Snake die and soldiers on because he knows that unless he beats Liquid, all their deaths would be in vain. The story is the best part, and anyone who says otherwise are ignorant and don't understand Kojima's vision. It's so easy to talk about everything about this game. In total this game is perfect. 10/10. This game is worth any price, and it is a pure joy to play Expand
  34. Aug 21, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is just a masterpiece! Hideo did it again, he manage to create another MGS better and better than the last. but every MGS are beyond expectation, there's nothing not to love in the franchise. it got everything. It's really complex, but that's the way we love MGS.
  35. Sep 7, 2013
    Hideo Kojima does it again. This game is a true masterpiece, and I don't say this lightly.
    If you are a fan of The Metal Gear Solid franchise you know what I mean when I say that most games directed by Hideo Kojima feels like an interactive movie and this one is not the exception.

The graphics were at the top the gaming industry when this game came out and I can say it's still better than most games that have been recently released.
    The story is so well written and has even an underline philosophical profoundness to it, every scene is beautifully thought of.
    Character wise this game is amazing, a LOT of characters from previous MGS titles return, and like always even the villains are so perfectly created that you seem to empathise with them to some degree.

Solid Snake (Probably one of my favorite vg characters of all time) is back for what seems to be his last adventure, and in the end everything finishes on a perfect note.

Cant wait for the next instalment of Metal Gear Solid. In the meantime, if you haven't played this game I highly recommend you pick it up, and if you haven't played any of the MGS games and want to check out the MGS Legacy Collection for PS3.
  36. Dec 31, 2013
    Pros:

-Amazing story and ending (4+)
    -Nice Graphics (2+)
    -Fun Gameplay (2+)
    -Great soundtrack and voice acting (2+)

Cons:

- 90 minute cutscene crap (0.3-)
    - Clunky controls (personal opinion)
    - Cheesy (-0.1)

Overall Score: 9.6/10. Extremely Awesome
  37. Oct 19, 2013
    A masterpiece to say the least. Metal Gears Solid 4 presents one of the best cinematic stories ever told in gaming. It will stay in the hearts of many gamers out there forever. That being said, this game is really for those who have a strong knowledge of the other metal gear solid games. If you haven't played the other games you will be lost in this convoluted tale. The game's story isA masterpiece to say the least. Metal Gears Solid 4 presents one of the best cinematic stories ever told in gaming. It will stay in the hearts of many gamers out there forever. That being said, this game is really for those who have a strong knowledge of the other metal gear solid games. If you haven't played the other games you will be lost in this convoluted tale. The game's story is really only at its best with the knowledge of the other games in the back of your head. The gameplay is great as well. Drebin points allow you to unlock an impressive array of weapons and other equipment. The Boss battles are also very well crafted; frantic, fun and keeps you on your feet (Not to mention they are sexy as hell near the end of each battle). A great game that balances true cover based gunplay with awesome stealth options as well. Guns blazing or keep it stealthy. Either way, they gameplay is amazing

One of the best stories in gaming and some really engaging gameplay MGS 4 should be a must play game for any gamer who wants a truly immersive and masterful experience.
  38. Feb 10, 2014
    This game is awesome, the perfect end to the story of Solid Snake. MGS's fans is necessary have this game, if you unknown Metal Gear Solid's saga, get away from this game, and best begin with Metal Gear Solid 1 for PSX.
  39. Jan 24, 2015
    How can someone even say something negative about this game. One of the best games I have ever played in my entire life. If you're fan of the MGS series and haven't played this game you have do that, believe me. Masterpiece!
  40. Nov 14, 2013
    This is the best franchise EVER MADE! If you havent play it yet, than you have to. I really love this game and all the series you really need to play this really great story and gameplay!
  41. Nov 24, 2013
    This is one of my favourite titles on PS3. Hideo Kojima has a sharp eye for details in games and one gets to appreciate this in MGS4. There is an insane level of detail given to everything from the menu, through the movie like cutscenes and to the gameplay itself. It is a unique experience on the PS3 and one you should not skip over. The environments are greatly varied and you'll find themThis is one of my favourite titles on PS3. Hideo Kojima has a sharp eye for details in games and one gets to appreciate this in MGS4. There is an insane level of detail given to everything from the menu, through the movie like cutscenes and to the gameplay itself. It is a unique experience on the PS3 and one you should not skip over. The environments are greatly varied and you'll find them a pleasure to see. Expand
  42. Nov 24, 2013
    Easily the greatest game of this gen,the story is fantastic you feel like a true legend playing through the eyes of solid snake AKA old snake ,at times there is the odd silliness but this is expected as part of the series the boss fights are epic the cut scenes are long winded but is a joy to sit back and watch this game is a must for all gamers
  43. Dec 4, 2013
    This game is pretty much my favorite MGS game, the game play was truly astonishing back in the days and still is, this was such a quality game for the PS3 console when it was first released, the graphics, the animation, the cut scenes, the gameplay, the sound.. everything was top notch, Kojima Productions really pushed the PS3 to it's limits when most of the games at that time couldn'tThis game is pretty much my favorite MGS game, the game play was truly astonishing back in the days and still is, this was such a quality game for the PS3 console when it was first released, the graphics, the animation, the cut scenes, the gameplay, the sound.. everything was top notch, Kojima Productions really pushed the PS3 to it's limits when most of the games at that time couldn't even be compared to MGS4, visually.

And then, the most important aspect of the game, the story obviously. The storyline was beyond amazing, i've played through the game so many times because of the storyline, i'm not supposed to spoil anything when writing a review even tho most people have already played this, but i can say that the story was both dramatic and exciting.

I know i'm quite late with a review but i didn't create a user account on metacritic until now so why not give this game some more credits
  44. Jan 1, 2014
    For fans of the stealth genera, you will want to buy this game. This game can be hard at times, but for hardcore players this is a good thing. The boss fights are amazing, and the story goes along perfectly. There are some flaws, and some aspects are overrated. One of the biggest points is that there are a lack of checkpoints throughout the game. Overall though for a $10 pre-owned MGS4,For fans of the stealth genera, you will want to buy this game. This game can be hard at times, but for hardcore players this is a good thing. The boss fights are amazing, and the story goes along perfectly. There are some flaws, and some aspects are overrated. One of the biggest points is that there are a lack of checkpoints throughout the game. Overall though for a $10 pre-owned MGS4, this game would be worth your time with its tactical-stealth experience. Expand
  45. Mar 20, 2014
    This is an amazing installment in the Metal Gear franchise with the return of the lovely hero, Solid, or now known as "Old Snake". The story may be a bit over-complicated at times but it still holds of atrociously well, one of my gripes though, is that the boss battles aren't as good or memorable as in the previous games.
  46. Jan 8, 2014
    The best Metal Gear Solid game to date and easily the best Playstation 3 exclusive (The Last of Us comes close though). Everything about this game is just perfect: the visuals are great, the soundtrack is awesome, the story is amazing and the characters are extremely memorable. I just love what they did to Raiden after how he was in Metal Gear Solid 2, they made him into an awesome cyborgThe best Metal Gear Solid game to date and easily the best Playstation 3 exclusive (The Last of Us comes close though). Everything about this game is just perfect: the visuals are great, the soundtrack is awesome, the story is amazing and the characters are extremely memorable. I just love what they did to Raiden after how he was in Metal Gear Solid 2, they made him into an awesome cyborg and a character with a very interesting back story. This is one of best games ever made and one of my personal favorites of all time. Expand
  47. Mar 18, 2014
    awesome game all the feels on thata, th best way to close the saga is that. i love how kojima write the history, and old snake oh god is so sad is a mature game and a nostalgic game i love it remeber me metal gear 1
  48. Feb 9, 2014
    I don’t care what some critics say; this is a worthy sequel to a worthy series. It is just as indispensible as the other Metal Gear games and the final scenes leading up to, and including, the final boss battle are some of the most well-designed, emotional and memorable scenes in a videogame.
  49. Mar 1, 2014
    People give this game such a bad reputation because there are a Lot of cutscenes in this game however if you are a fan of the games universe this is perfect for you because this game series has been going on for near 20 years at the point this game was released and in that time there had been about 7 other games released which covered content from the cold war onwards to the games presentPeople give this game such a bad reputation because there are a Lot of cutscenes in this game however if you are a fan of the games universe this is perfect for you because this game series has been going on for near 20 years at the point this game was released and in that time there had been about 7 other games released which covered content from the cold war onwards to the games present day. This game fills almost all the gaps that were there before the game was released.

Now the game itself is amazing for numerous reason such as its graphics, camouflage system, different environments and enemy diversity. The game is made so that stealth is more rewarded but not completely necessary, that surveying the area gives better rewards in ways such as better weapons,drebin points or better vantage points. The graphics for the year are amazing and to this day has only small differences to the 'next gen' graphics from some military franchise or other which is released every year. The variety weapons and equipment gives not only stealth or offensive options but options inside those options which does help when faced with a very secure location.
  50. Feb 23, 2014
    this game is just one big piece of awsome .....and sadness the final part of the mgs saga mgs4 has old snake coming out of retirement and has to go kill liquid ocelot but there is one problem snake has accelerated aging this game has so man cutscenes but i could not decide whether this was a good thing or abad thing this game has less a focus on stealth and more a sense of action and thethis game is just one big piece of awsome .....and sadness the final part of the mgs saga mgs4 has old snake coming out of retirement and has to go kill liquid ocelot but there is one problem snake has accelerated aging this game has so man cutscenes but i could not decide whether this was a good thing or abad thing this game has less a focus on stealth and more a sense of action and the ending this is the sort of ending you cry at and anyone who says they didnt is either lying or a haertless **** Expand
  51. Feb 24, 2014
    A true masterpiece and a great ending to Solid Snake's legacy. The graphics, story and gameplay are all extremely well crafted. A definite must buy for any PS3 owner.
  52. Mar 2, 2014
    One of the must own exclusives, and games period for the Ps3. Sure the cut scenes can be a bit long, but they help make the game the masterpiece that it is. This is a great game, and should be played by anyone who owns a Ps3. Would definitely buy this as a collector.
  53. Mar 18, 2014
    awesome, gamme ,long cinematics, good conclusion, i cryed alot, is one of the best ends ever, the graphics where good for being 2008 graphics , and kojima just take all the metal gears and mixed it, love this game
  54. Mar 30, 2014
    F''''ng incredible, so much depth the soundtrack, the plot, snake, the easter eggs, the characters, the control, the boxes, the bosses, the final boss with that you will cry buy it now if you like metal gear solid.
  55. Apr 5, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece, BUT you need to play MGS 1,2,3 to understand the story...if you played the other 3, you'll love this game, it's awesome from the start menu to the after credits
  56. Apr 8, 2015
    the perfect ending to one of the greatest franchises of all time. I have nothing bad to say about this game it was a blast the whole way through. the only thing I will say is if you are not an invested fan of the series or are not a fan of cinematic games than you probably wont like this game because you probably spend more time watching cutscenes than you do actually playing. that's not athe perfect ending to one of the greatest franchises of all time. I have nothing bad to say about this game it was a blast the whole way through. the only thing I will say is if you are not an invested fan of the series or are not a fan of cinematic games than you probably wont like this game because you probably spend more time watching cutscenes than you do actually playing. that's not a bad thing because the story and cinematic storytelling is the main appeal of metal gear solid games and this one just happens to be the most cinematic yet. and when you do get to play, the gameplay is nearly perfect and some of the best in the series. Stealth is not as emphasized in this game as it was in previous entries but the change to a more action orientated style of gameplay works really well and fits the story well. this is one of the best games in the franchise and is one of the best games of its generation. Expand
  57. Jun 18, 2014
    This should have been the best Metal Gear game. Sadly it isn't.
    I won't go in-depth, put here are a few things that people fail to point out in this game.
    This should have been the best Metal Gear game. Sadly it isn't.
    1. There are so many cutscenes that are entirely pointless, or could be speed up to save time. Nothing would be lost if these cutscenes were removed. In fact, there are 3 relationships in this game that take up at least 1 hour, of the 8.5 hours of cutscenes ,that should have been removed as they add nothing to the story. The story should have been refined more.

2. There are a few forced or nonsensical moments. While few in quantity, these moments could have easily been changed.

3. Something that is never addressed is the blizzard effects. This might qualify as the best effect in video game history! Developers generally think as rain, snow, fog, ect... as an auxiliary to the game. If the blizzard effects were not in MGS4, the game would be much less impressive. The snow gradually collects on stationary objects. The high winds can push snow off, or carry more onto an object. Taking cover will make the snow gradually fall off in an impressive manner. The blizzard obscures Snake's vision, sometimes inhibiting his line of sight to a meter in front of him; conversely the storm may lighten up to allow Snake to see 15 meters in front off him. taking cover behind an object were the wind isn't blowing will cause the snow to fall off. What needs to be understood is that the blizzard effect was not an afterthought. It is a very graphically impressive feature ahead of its time.

4. The music and voice acting some of the best in gaming history, even for today.

5. The world building is great. The game provides visuals and information that establish the Metal Gear world well.

MGS4 has a great main plot, some very evocative moments, and is extremely graphically impressive. This review doesn't cover much, but the 5 points are rarely covered and need to be known. This game should be a 10/10, but too many idiotic additions to the story prevent it from being so.
  58. Jun 27, 2014
    Отличное завершение истории Солида Снейка. Разнообразие геймплея и кинематографичность заставок поражают.
  59. Sep 9, 2014
    For anyone who has played a metal gear solid game this is a must have. It is a perfect blend of action and adventure and the story is so great in its depth it will keep you playing "to see what happens next. Very few games deserve a perfect score but this is one of them. Even if you've never played metal gear solid you can't miss this. If you really want to play it I suggest getting twinFor anyone who has played a metal gear solid game this is a must have. It is a perfect blend of action and adventure and the story is so great in its depth it will keep you playing "to see what happens next. Very few games deserve a perfect score but this is one of them. Even if you've never played metal gear solid you can't miss this. If you really want to play it I suggest getting twin snakes on GameCube, and the metal gear solid 2 and 3 remake on the ps3 just to know the story before playing this. The metal gear series offers the best story telling of any game hands down. Expand
  60. Sep 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metal Gear Solid 4 delivers a great gameplay and cinimatic experiance for those who are fans of the series. Mgs has a very nice story with amazingly polished cutscenes that are long, but persinally I love the long cutscenes because for me it makes the story not feel rushed and really takes time to explain alot of gaps in the story (and lore) of the MGS universe. The stoy has been taking hit after hit of people not liking the nano-machine explinations for everything, but personally I liked it, it felt right and bang on for the setting and time of the story where technology is very advance and nano machines are used for almost every perpose. For a gamer that poors alot of emotions into games I felt this was a great ending to the legendary Solid Snake! For gameplay it was great with alot of variation to combat. When putting people in a head lock you have so many differnt ways to end your enemy! There are alot of guns, but you may only find yourself using a few of the same but if you choose to use other it can change up gameplay alot! You will recieve neat gear from bosses that you can use in new game+ and are really fun to use. If you are planning to go for the platinum you will find yourself playing the game with alot of playstyles to get all the games emblems which need at least 8 playthroughs. Metal gear solid guns 4 from start to platinum is a blast with an amazingly told story and great stealth gameplay (if you choose to play like that) that will keep you engaged for as many playthroughs as you choose to play. That is why I give Metal Gear Solid 4 a 10/10 as a fan of the lore and series, I highly recommend Snakes last mission. Expand
  61. Sep 17, 2014
    The greatest game i ever played. Gameplay is by far the best in any mgs. The stroy is also the most epic and closes in most of the gaps from the previous games. Cutscenes are long but i'm never bored when watching this. Also making snake old is a great addition since we were use to the prime snake who can kick any ones ass easily with no problem. Overall its my favorite game of all time.
  62. Oct 17, 2014
    Una obra maestro de ps3 rejugable 1000veces y nunca deja de sorprender, si tuviera dialogos fuera del ingles seria la gran obra maestra de esta generacion, superando a the last of us
  63. Oct 19, 2014
    This is by far my favorite of the series! The length of the cutscenes are not surprising since MGS does have long cutscenes in general. Gameplay is a bit more like a shooter and a bit too easy. The story and characters and story are stronger then they have ever been. This game contains nostalgia, good characters, great story, an amazing final boss, and the perfect ending! 10/10
  64. Mar 28, 2015
    Amazing audio-visual presentation, tight gameplay, interesting but a little dense story makes this a true masterpiece. This is a benchmark in quality, and very few games are like it.
  65. Nov 3, 2014
    Four letters for this stunningly amazing masterpiece: E-P-I-C. Literally this is the Godfather/Citizen Kaneof the PSN exclusives for PS3. Just play this game or play legacy colelction and then this to get this game fully nonetheless this is a visually impressive and story rich classic. Public enemy pun: BELIEVE THE HYPE.
  66. Nov 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is not much I can say about MGS4 that hasn't been said already; it is a masterpiece. Yes, there are hours upon hours of long cutscenes and explanation, but for Metal Gear fans, including myself, they are all very fun and entertaining to watch. MGS4 is also one of the most emotional games I have ever experienced, watching Solid Snake go to the ends of the Earth to get this final job done is heart-breaking and makes you love the character even more. The ending is perfect, any fan of the series who has played the previous games, is sure to shed the tear. Rest in Peace, Solid Snake. We salute you. Expand
  67. Nov 27, 2014
    Games this good should be celebrated!

it's a master of the craft simply showing off.

There's so many metaphors and meanings in this game that they begin to mock themselves, mock you for enjoying them then makes you cry when it comes to it's end.

it can be played in any way you want and is still a classic.

1. Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.