8.7

1. Apr 9, 2012
    Few games merit the title of art. However, this game is just that. Tying up all the loose ends and unanswered questions, this is a cinematic experience that left me immersed in the game till the very end. It is the perfect ending to the story of Solid Snake, as we join him in his final battle.

Gameplay has been refined to the highest caliber, as CQC requires just a tap of the O button. From there, other possible options are available when dealing with enemies. Though not as good as the Snake Eater's, the bosses in this game are well built and fun; the last boss fight has to be one of the best endings to a series in general with a fitting backdrop, music and slight gameplay change. With the introduction of OctoCamo, stealth and movement are very much affected, making the player make meticulous choices in which they wouldn't in any other game. Some times, the main objective is supposed to be sneaking instead of firefighting. This is a stark change from other games like Call of Duty and GTA, where one necessarily doesn't have to kill all the enemies to proceed to the next area. Gunplay is pretty much the same, though recoil and grip factors have been added, upping the realistic parts of the game. Customization to guns is very flexible with the addition of the Drebin Points system. This makes the game sometimes too easy, but this is overlooked in comparison to the overall technical prowess of the game.

Even with all these things, something else stands out as a top feature: just how clean this game is. Everything sounds nice, from that gunshot when you choose an option at the main menu to the low-key sound that starts when you save between acts. The blood shown in the game is gritty enough to show that someone is in pain, yet not overly filthy to glorify the act of bleeding. All fights that happen utilize sensible and real-world martial arts and/or some other type of combat. Yet even with all this realism, Kojima Productions is able to pull off awesome and unreal action. There is barely any wasted movement and how the characters move in the game is very satisfying. More important than the gameplay though, is the emotional content. The emotions of anger, happiness, sorrow are all evoked at some point in the game. Towards the end of the game, a pseudo-cutscene with gameplay on the top will start playing; when one comes to this part, they will know exactly what I'm talking about. This particular cutscene evokes a whole lot of emotion and is one of the crowning moments in all of fiction. In terms of plot, many should not find a problem. Other than superfluous dialog, plot is well put together. However, there tends to be debate over just how mixed the plot is, but I for one do not find fault. A gamer is able to connect with at least one character in this game and it is somehow easy to root for all the characters, with the villains included. However, most people will find Snake their main favorite, with this being his final mission. If one were to have played the previous games, the meaning of this would bear a whole lot of weight and emotions would surface. Video games in general don't tend to do that, even to casual gamers. However, this game just does that, and with its technical supremacy, it is well-deserved of a perfect 10 score. There is no better way for the legend of Solid Snake to end other than this. Kudos to the entire staff at Kojima Productions and Konami; you have set a standard for gaming with this adventure.
  2. Aug 22, 2012
    What can we say on that game? Overall, this is a really cool game, and you can spend hours and hours playing it. Graphics are amazing and real. Story is as good as always. Gameplay is fun.
  3. May 19, 2012
    This is one of the best games of all time. the game has some of the best gameplay, graphics, story, music and characters that can be found in video games. there is a right way and a wrong way to play this game. Metal gear solid is a sneaking game, and thats how its previous games played, but this can also be played like an action game. dont do that. if you see someone complaining aboutThis is one of the best games of all time. the game has some of the best gameplay, graphics, story, music and characters that can be found in video games. there is a right way and a wrong way to play this game. Metal gear solid is a sneaking game, and thats how its previous games played, but this can also be played like an action game. dont do that. if you see someone complaining about cutscenes, they have not played the previous games, as the number of cutscenes are genuinly required to conclude all issues from the previous games, and maintain its own stroy, which is does perfectly by the end. Expand
  4. Jun 3, 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will surely set the bar for this generations in terms of quality, and should be the benchmark for a truly great game.
  5. Jun 2, 2012
    A MUST-PLAY game for any PS3 owners. I never played any MGS series, but had no problems enjoying MGS4. So perfect in every way. If you're in doubt, play for first 30 minutes. I can assure you that you'd be agreeing with many people who'd give a perfect score.
  6. Aug 7, 2012
    I have played the game myself, 2 times, a while ago. But with the trophy's just kicked in, I picked the game from my shelf, just to play it again, and go hunting' (except for the platinum, 'cause the Big Boss Extreme title is waaay over my possibilities). Playing the game, the past two days again I realized why I fell in love with in in the beginning. The gameplay is so revolutionary, theI have played the game myself, 2 times, a while ago. But with the trophy's just kicked in, I picked the game from my shelf, just to play it again, and go hunting' (except for the platinum, 'cause the Big Boss Extreme title is waaay over my possibilities). Playing the game, the past two days again I realized why I fell in love with in in the beginning. The gameplay is so revolutionary, the story is awesome (even when I haven't played the other parts, which I will once I get the HD collection), music is bone-chilling great, but most of all: the interactions and AI are awesome. Further... I'm speechless. Definitely a must buy. Expand
  7. Aug 20, 2012
    i played it afeter 3 years, and it's still being the best for me, graphics, history, gameplay, characters, all its perfect in it, if you played all of the Metal Gears befores you should buy this game and if you dont, then what are you waiting for?
  8. Jan 20, 2013
    One of the most touching games ever existed or to be exist. Totally worth your money spent on your ps3 system.
  9. Feb 26, 2013
    Um jogo OBRIGATÓRIO para quem for adiquirir um PS3: gráficos maravilhosos, história boa e temática, personagens memoráveis retornam. O final bastante decepicionante (mas nem chega perto do final de Mass Effect 3), mas a jogatina boa.
  10. Oct 11, 2012
    I don't really know what to say about this one as I had played it back when it came out and got stuck on a level. By the time I decided I should try to play it again my PS3 died on me. So with a new PS3 and the HD collection underway I figured it was time for me to finish off the game. Turns out I had 15 minutes of gameplay left plus the final cutscenes. From what I remember playing II don't really know what to say about this one as I had played it back when it came out and got stuck on a level. By the time I decided I should try to play it again my PS3 died on me. So with a new PS3 and the HD collection underway I figured it was time for me to finish off the game. Turns out I had 15 minutes of gameplay left plus the final cutscenes. From what I remember playing I really enjoyed the game and all the gadgetry. I like the fact that you could shop anywhere you were and that there was no shortage of weaponry. The story is to blurry for me to comment on so I will just say that it had its moments, it was confusing, interesting to listen to, but confusing. Glad I played it and may return to it after I finish the HD Collection. Expand
  11. Oct 28, 2012
    It's a game. Yes it is but it feels much more than that. You immediatly get in the storyline which you have to pay attention and be familiarized with the MGS universe. The action feels absolutely brilliant and sometimes you forget you're playing a game but living an experience. That's MGS 4.
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    it's hard to describe a game like metal gear solid 4. i have to admit, i'm no big fan of the 'shooter' genre, actually i often get tired of most of those games after some hours playing. but like ME2, MGS4 is so much more than just another Cod (for instance). The characters, story, emotions....are simply not of this world. don't miss this game at all costs!
  13. Nov 21, 2012
    Although I love the MG series and characters, I
  14. Mar 26, 2013
    Metal gear solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the greatest game I have ever played. Plain and simple. Incredible breathtaking story with a completely new control scheme that offers some of the most innovative stealth mechanics to date. A pure masterpiece all the way to its core. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this game. It's as perfect as a video game could possibly get.
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    if not the best PS3 game ever created the series should have stayed PS3 exclusive now the series kinda sucks all they are making are prequels MGS4 is the perfect conclusion to the metal gear saga i dont want any prequels or sequels that will mess up this master piece cuz doing that is only messing up the series further more Kojima please cancel MGS V
  16. Apr 9, 2013
    It was so sad to see the end of this game since I wanted to continue it still for hours and hours! The perfect end for a perfect game! The only one not perfect thing could be just found in the cut-scenes lenght which I really enjoied but I admit that I heard a lot of complains about this.
  17. Dec 31, 2013
    Pros:

-Amazing story and ending (4+)
    -Nice Graphics (2+)
    -Fun Gameplay (2+)
    -Great soundtrack and voice acting (2+)

Cons:

- 90 minute cutscene crap (0.3-)
    - Clunky controls (personal opinion)
    - Cheesy (-0.1)

Overall Score: 9.6/10. Extremely Awesome
    Length: 10 out of 10
    Re-play: 6 out of 10
    Value: 10 out of 10
  19. Sep 12, 2014
    Very good story, you might be confused if not familiar with the MGS series, don't hesitate to make some research before you play on what happened before this game, the characters...Gameplay is great, you can play through the game with a lot of stealth or just shoot a lot and there is a good choice of customizable weapons. Graphics were great when this game was released and are stillVery good story, you might be confused if not familiar with the MGS series, don't hesitate to make some research before you play on what happened before this game, the characters...Gameplay is great, you can play through the game with a lot of stealth or just shoot a lot and there is a good choice of customizable weapons. Graphics were great when this game was released and are still pleasant in my opinion. Great musics, great characters. A classic and one of my favorites on PS3. Expand
  20. Oct 24, 2015
    is gud muvi, weres teh oscar at???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  21. AndrewP.
    Jun 23, 2008
    if there was an 11, this game would get it. just buy it. It's ridiculous that Gears of War would get a 94 and this game would only get a 95... it goes to show you how skewed mainstream videogame journalism is.
  22. ArturoL.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Simply put, this is the first game that actually feels next-gen. There is no other offering in the market, in Xbox, Wii or PC that has the both the depth and instant accessibility of this game. Truly a masterpiece. From graphics to sound, from story to fun factor, from controls to whatever you want: this is an experience unlike any other on any console you will see this year, and the rare Simply put, this is the first game that actually feels next-gen. There is no other offering in the market, in Xbox, Wii or PC that has the both the depth and instant accessibility of this game. Truly a masterpiece. From graphics to sound, from story to fun factor, from controls to whatever you want: this is an experience unlike any other on any console you will see this year, and the rare example where the final product exceeds the sum of its parts. This is the killer-app the PS3 was waiting for. An honest-to-god reason that justifies its price tag (aside BDs). Do yourself a favor and go play this game. Expand
  23. ClaudioR.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Excellent content, a game for mature audiences. It has so many things and options to explore. It may not be open world per se but it still offers a lot of options. Story is deep and you will want to follow it completely.
  24. LuisG.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The Most epic game in years, truly one of the best games ever made, that continues pushing the envelope of cinematic, storytelling, and gameplay prowess.
  25. JonasS.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Simply amazing if you went through all the other games in the series... as long as you have a long enough attention span you newcomers to the series will have a blast!
  26. Phillip
    Jun 15, 2008
    This game had me completely satisfied through the whole thing. It was able to convey beautiful graphics, an astonishing storyline and made me feel completely content with it's amazing sound director. Ode to the Snake. This game, will, be on my top ten list of games for all time.
  27. RashadS.
    Jun 15, 2008
    It lived to the hype. Don't be a fanboy, just play it yourself and see.
  28. GaseousSnake
    Jun 15, 2008
    If there was a game I could play forever this would be it. Everything rocks even especially the Metal gear mk 2 he gets an 11.
  29. KyleP.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Personally, the ending was something of a disappointment to me. But to take points away because I personally disagreed with a plot point would be a crime against what is probably the single finest game I have ever played.
  30. MikeD.
    Jun 19, 2008
    This game is epic. Aside from the amazing graphics and solid game play; Kojima has taken the art of video game story telling to another dimension.
  31. MartinJ.
    Jun 19, 2008
    This is a piece of brilliance created by Konami. It has one of the best storylines in a game ever and the gameplay is ultra realistic. I honestly don't know how anyone could not like this game!
  32. Goc
    Jun 20, 2008
    Where do I begin? A perfect blend of everything. The timing and execution of a wealth of various gameplay elements are masterfully done. You'll be experiencing everything in this game; from chills to thrills, maybe even shed a tear or two in the process. Oh, yeah, and bring pop-corn for the long, yet beautifully done cut-scenes.
  33. TimVa.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Simply the most cinimatic and epic game ever made, i am a 100% diehard zelda fan and NOTHING has ever been ever to top that series.....well unfortunatly for Link, i have a new #1 game.
  34. AlexanderF.
    Jun 23, 2008
    This game is one of the best games I have ever played. While being my first proper run through of any MGS game, I had found the storyline intriguing and captivating. However, because of the absurd art style and themes (which I absolutely love), some people are going to be put off strongly. I recommend this game to everyone who owns a PS3, however I understand that this is not the game for This game is one of the best games I have ever played. While being my first proper run through of any MGS game, I had found the storyline intriguing and captivating. However, because of the absurd art style and themes (which I absolutely love), some people are going to be put off strongly. I recommend this game to everyone who owns a PS3, however I understand that this is not the game for everyone. People who are lost in the storyline may want to visit Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Expand
  35. ChrisN.
    Jun 24, 2008
    Wasn't all that great, decent but not nearly worth the hype it got.
  36. RB
    Jun 25, 2008
    I love this game! it's incredible! and one more thing, I Want kojima to direct the metal gear movie!!!
  37. SylwesterZ.
    Excellent...just brilliant.
  38. Jonathan
    Jun 26, 2008
    I found this game to be more entertaining then anything thats on the 360 and Wii!
  39. LeoJ
    Jun 28, 2008
    Metal gear solid 4 is a game that truley surpasses all. The game deserves an 11(IGN), even playstation haters decided to give it an amazing score(gamespot 10). Though pathetic reviewers such as Eurogamer which states that hardcore gaming wouldn't be here without microsoft gave MGS4 an 8. This industry has changed, and MGS4 is a game that will be remembered by all. GTA 4 is nothing Metal gear solid 4 is a game that truley surpasses all. The game deserves an 11(IGN), even playstation haters decided to give it an amazing score(gamespot 10). Though pathetic reviewers such as Eurogamer which states that hardcore gaming wouldn't be here without microsoft gave MGS4 an 8. This industry has changed, and MGS4 is a game that will be remembered by all. GTA 4 is nothing compared to MGS4. Expand
  40. MikeS.
    Jul 1, 2008
    This is quite simply one of the greatest games I've played. It's also the greatest example of "games as art" to date. A masterpiece.
  41. CecilK.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Okay, so it appears to me that more than half of the Users negatively reviewing this game are Halo-obsessed fanboys, who obviously can't understand and/or comprehend the absolutely amazing story this game has. I've played all of the MGS's (excluding Acid,) so I know what's going on and why. I suppose I can see somebody being completely confused just because they never Okay, so it appears to me that more than half of the Users negatively reviewing this game are Halo-obsessed fanboys, who obviously can't understand and/or comprehend the absolutely amazing story this game has. I've played all of the MGS's (excluding Acid,) so I know what's going on and why. I suppose I can see somebody being completely confused just because they never played 1, 2 or 3, but there's a reason that this is the fourth in the series. I mean, come on people. If you're used to games with incredibly expansive story-lines, then you'll probably be fine. If you're not used to the concept of "story" in a video game, (Yeah, I'm talking to you, Halo-fans) then either rent the first three so you can understand the story and become immersed in this wonderful game, or piss off. I mean, don't just rate it down because you can't go around head-shotting aliens for the entire game. Putting all of that aside, I have simply 3 problems with this game. 1) Meryl is too buff. Seriously, it's creepy for a girl to be that muscular. 2) Snake needs to stop getting it on with the ground. The slow-crawl looks way too...odd. 3) Beginning-game is way too slow paced. That being said, I bid you all farewell. Expand
  42. JorgeP.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Undoubtedly the best Metal Gear ever, the best game and story ending ever made. Kojima's Masterpiece!!!!
  43. Nate
    Jul 4, 2008
    Being someone who only played any of the other games for brief amounts of time. I had a pretty good idea of what was going on, this game is still pretty damn near perfect for what it is trying to do. It's the most cinematic and engaging games in a long time. I rated it a 10 because of that reasons. There may be quibbles but any of which are easily forgotten and overlooked. If pure Being someone who only played any of the other games for brief amounts of time. I had a pretty good idea of what was going on, this game is still pretty damn near perfect for what it is trying to do. It's the most cinematic and engaging games in a long time. I rated it a 10 because of that reasons. There may be quibbles but any of which are easily forgotten and overlooked. If pure action is your thing, you may or may not like the game. The action is fast and precise when it needs to be or slow and calculating if you so choose. Play it with an open mind or don't play at all, but don't knock it for going out with a bang. Expand
  44. PeterD.
    Aug 20, 2008
    It is fair to say that MGS4 is one of the best games of all time. My only complain is that you need to have some background knowledge of the Metal Gear Saga to fully appreciate the story. But all-in-al dont miss out on this one.
  45. AnonymousMC
    Oct 10, 2009
    Dave N:" There's WAAAYYY too many cutscenes!"
    I disagree. I liked the quantity and quality of the cutscenes.
    Dave N: "The gameplay itself is boring!" I disagree. I found the gameplay great. Dave N: "The original games were infinitely better, because they had sensible cutscene lengths" I disagree. I remember the other games having 30+ minutes cutscenes too. Moral of the
    Dave N:" There's WAAAYYY too many cutscenes!"
    I disagree. I liked the quantity and quality of the cutscenes.

Dave N: "The gameplay itself is boring!"
    I disagree. I found the gameplay great.

I disagree. I remember the other games having 30+ minutes cutscenes too.

Moral of the story: Hideo Kojima wanted to blur the lines between games and movies. Did he succeed? According to both negative and positive reviews, he sure as hell did. The problem lies in the assumption that a game should only have a story to complement the gameplay, but why can't it be the other way around? When people say "If I wanted to see a movie, I would've done so", I start wondering why they didn't. This is a game centered around the story and the cutscenes, it's your own fault expecting otherwise. You don't watch a Disney movie and complain about the lack of tits and decapitations, likewise, you don't play a MGS game and complain about the amount of cutscenes.
  46. DavidA
    Oct 22, 2009
    This game is absolutely amazing. If you own a PS3, then you need to have this game in your library. Fans of the series are the ones who will find the most to love about this game. But even if you are a newcomer to the series this game will get you hooked into the Metal Gear mythos.
  47. AnonymousMC
    Jun 3, 2009
    really, people who gave this a low score are either xbox fanboys or have real bad taste in games. yes this game has some faults but when i finished the game for the first time i had to take time out to catch up with what i had just played. i read a review on here from someone giving it a 3 and saying how bad it was only to say that he passed it for the 3rd time b4 giving it away. wow.really, people who gave this a low score are either xbox fanboys or have real bad taste in games. yes this game has some faults but when i finished the game for the first time i had to take time out to catch up with what i had just played. i read a review on here from someone giving it a 3 and saying how bad it was only to say that he passed it for the 3rd time b4 giving it away. wow. really its so bad that u have to play it 3 times? cmon. Expand
  48. Ahseb
    Jul 1, 2009
    This game is so freakin' awesome. I'm so glad I bought it, I'll never, NEVER, give it away. Every time I play it I'm astounded by the graphics, which won this game more Graphical Awards than any other game for quite some time, the story is so in-depth and beautiful, I don't care about the long cutscenes. I'm too busy trying to keep my jaw off the floor This game is so freakin' awesome. I'm so glad I bought it, I'll never, NEVER, give it away. Every time I play it I'm astounded by the graphics, which won this game more Graphical Awards than any other game for quite some time, the story is so in-depth and beautiful, I don't care about the long cutscenes. I'm too busy trying to keep my jaw off the floor because I'm so impressed. The gameplay and controls are the most tighest I have ever witnessed in a game, I swear. And I'm not the only won who thinks so. MGS4 is the best-selling game for the PS3, with over 4.75 million sold. That's more than GTA4 and COD4 (for the PS3). It's also won more GOTY awards than any other game in 2008. Just look at what the critics had to say about it: IGN: "Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this is the game that would merit that score" Gamespot: "MGS4 is the most technically stunning video game ever made" Gamepro: "The Playstation 3 finally gets its "savior", Kojima gets his masterpiece, and gamers get one of the best games of all time. " Anyone who gives this game lower than an 8 is obviously retarded. The above explains why. LONG LIVE HIDEO KOJIMA! Expand
  49. JalexD.
    Oct 2, 2008
    It sounds cliche, but for nearly four months, I have thought of this game as THE greatest game ever. All the amazing things one can do in the game as well as all the amazing cinematics make this a truly incredible game. It innovates even more than previous 'Metal Gear' titles and polishes every single game mechanic to an absolute shine. It's great drama. It's great It sounds cliche, but for nearly four months, I have thought of this game as THE greatest game ever. All the amazing things one can do in the game as well as all the amazing cinematics make this a truly incredible game. It innovates even more than previous 'Metal Gear' titles and polishes every single game mechanic to an absolute shine. It's great drama. It's great fun. It's great immersion. Expand
  50. MGSforever
    Oct 2, 2008
    The graphics will blow you away. The stroy will blow you away. Everything will blow you away. The gameplay is extremely innovative. One level you're blowing up a bunch of baddies in the middle east, next you're traking down a scientist using only your wits, then one level you get to actually CONTROL a metal gear. I swear that particular level was THE funnest level out of any The graphics will blow you away. The stroy will blow you away. Everything will blow you away. The gameplay is extremely innovative. One level you're blowing up a bunch of baddies in the middle east, next you're traking down a scientist using only your wits, then one level you get to actually CONTROL a metal gear. I swear that particular level was THE funnest level out of any game I have played. Kudos to you Hideo Kojima. You have done it again. Expand
  51. AustinH.
    Oct 3, 2008
    What can I say? MGS4 is, in the simplest terms, a masterpiece. The story-telling is simply phenomenal, the story itself and character design is a work of art, the graphics set the new standard in consoles, the sound effects and voice acting are breathtaking, and the end result is THE game of our generation. Of course, the game will have its fair-share of "haters", but as you can tell by What can I say? MGS4 is, in the simplest terms, a masterpiece. The story-telling is simply phenomenal, the story itself and character design is a work of art, the graphics set the new standard in consoles, the sound effects and voice acting are breathtaking, and the end result is THE game of our generation. Of course, the game will have its fair-share of "haters", but as you can tell by the universal acclaim, it's an astonishing step-forward in gaming. Expand
  52. RichardR.
    Jun 12, 2008
    I have been waiting for this game for 4 years, and it has met and exceeded my wildest expectations. Arigato Kojima-san.
  53. BobM.
    Jun 12, 2008
    It's the small things that count, right? MGS4 definitely excells in this and all other areas. From the animations to the way Snake acts, everything is perfection.
  54. TimNA
    Jun 12, 2008
    Metal gear solid so far for me has greatly exceeded my expectations, and the reviews for it thus far on here have truly been piss poor the sheer quality of this game. Edge is obviously a sell-out magazine now after giving GTA4 100% despite the OBVIOUS Fps issues in the game, yet gave MGS 80, GTA learned from hindsight aswell. The graphics, voice-acting, story and game play completely Metal gear solid so far for me has greatly exceeded my expectations, and the reviews for it thus far on here have truly been piss poor the sheer quality of this game. Edge is obviously a sell-out magazine now after giving GTA4 100% despite the OBVIOUS Fps issues in the game, yet gave MGS 80, GTA learned from hindsight aswell. The graphics, voice-acting, story and game play completely immersed me in playing, one game that has actually been able to grab me and force me to play on and on, I can't tear myself away, Immersion is a rarity in games these days. MGS even has comedy in the game to boot, As usual Fruity Koj has added some things in the game that will make you jump up and go "Holy crap i get that". Best game I've played in years, probably the best purchase I've done in my life. Expand
  55. LeonF.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Since everyone reviews it already b4 its out. I'll give it a 10.
  56. MikeG.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Simply Stunning, what more can I say.
  57. MikeM.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Simply incredible. This game is a masterpiece.
  58. KritU.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The best game I have played in a long time. who cares if the cut scene is long when they are high quality ones. Who cares if there isn't as much shooting. Do your research "gamedaily" MGS series have never been in FPS gene. My bottom line is, who cares if this is the first and might be the only high quality exclusive PS3 offers so far. It's far beyond the 360's The best game I have played in a long time. who cares if the cut scene is long when they are high quality ones. Who cares if there isn't as much shooting. Do your research "gamedaily" MGS series have never been in FPS gene. My bottom line is, who cares if this is the first and might be the only high quality exclusive PS3 offers so far. It's far beyond the 360's exclusives' qualities combined. Then again, that's only my opinion. Expand
  59. SteveG.
    Jun 13, 2008
    A stellar game for veterans of the series.
  60. FarooqA.
    Jun 13, 2008
    So immense and "COMPLETE" ! I would've given it a 13/10 if there had been an option... no words to express this game, you just NEED to experience it first hand, for crying out loud!
  61. JimB.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The game simply lives up to the hype. I am not a MGS fan from long ago, never played it until recently. This game appeals to all kinds of players, and styles. Graphically it pushes the PS3 to the limit. The storytelling is the best I have ever seen in a game. Finally, the online is simply fun with the automatching making things interesting. If you have a PS3 you must own this game.
  62. JasonS.
    Jun 13, 2008
    I couldn't ask for a better game. Blew me a way!
  63. AnonymousMC
    Jun 13, 2008
    Great game, not quite up to the hype but never was going to live up to it. The gunplay has been vastly improved by adopting the option to use a gears of war or call of duty perspective. The camera is now free to move like in portable ops which is much better and the octocamo is fantastic, so many options on how to play the game depending on your tastes. If you liked the other games in theGreat game, not quite up to the hype but never was going to live up to it. The gunplay has been vastly improved by adopting the option to use a gears of war or call of duty perspective. The camera is now free to move like in portable ops which is much better and the octocamo is fantastic, so many options on how to play the game depending on your tastes. If you liked the other games in the series then you will like this but if hated them then this wont change your mind. Only grumble is with the respawning enemies in certain areas and it could of done to be longer. Expand
  64. Chris
    Jun 13, 2008
    Wow. What an experience. This game was not meant to be a shooter, the main complaint I've seen thus far. It was meant to be one of the greatest stories told in video game history. RPG's don't even reach this story mastery very often (except Mass Effect). The experience this affords can make you smile, laugh, and cry. Just pick it up and see for yourself.
  65. BryanJ.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Awesome new PS3 game! It defines the PS3 because it has such revolutionary graphics and gameplay and it couldn't be a better end to the snake series. Buy now!
  66. PedroS.
    Jun 13, 2008
    An excellent finale for the series. Pretty much exactly what I expect from a new metal gear game.
  67. DanW.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Who needs Hollywood? This game is absolutely stunning.
  68. MitchellD.
    Jun 15, 2008
    One of the greatest games to be released, MGS4 is the pinnacle of video game storytelling and high-octane action. Absolutely brilliant, loads of fun, and heart-wrenching.
  69. JasonM.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Epic on all fronts, possibly the most enjoyment i have ever obtained from a game and that says a lot.. so much fan service and just utterly glorious gameplay... a must own for all gaming fans.
  70. AlexA
    Jun 16, 2008
    Absolutely breathtaking. The greatest game ever created. Kojima has achieved something which other developers can only dream about. The BEST.
  71. Tonydannie
    Jun 17, 2008
    A Masterpiece! The gameplay is great and the action levels are very well designed. But what makes it even greater is how it wraps up the Metal Gear Solid saga! This is "The Godfather " of video game sagas!
  72. WillD.
    Jun 17, 2008
    10/10 Fantastic. The sites / magazines that gave this game 8 are a discrace to media journalisim, they obviously didn't understand the game.
  73. MattR.
    Jun 17, 2008
    This game is amazing. captivating cutscenes where the faces emote and fingers type even in in-game graphics engine. eat your heart out GTA 4.
  74. JosefB
    Jun 17, 2008
    One of the best games that I have played in a long while.
  75. AdamZ
    Jun 17, 2008
    Finished it in 21hrs, the best game ever created full stop. even if u havnt played the other games or it isnt your thing still check it out, its worth it !!!!
  76. JohnnyF.
    Jun 17, 2008
    The game was simply amazing. The story was great, along with fantastic gameplay. The only bad thing was that this was snakes last run. still the ending could only be describe with one word: badass!!!
  77. JohnT.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Any one that doesn't rate this game in the high 90s dosen't deserve to rate games. This game is unlike any thing to date. The detail, sound, and story is untouchable.
  78. MisterH.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Some reviewers have chosen to mark this game down for being designed to please MGS fans, instead of homogenizing the experience into a lowest common denominator shoot 'em-up, of which you can find dozens of on store shelves any day of the week. It's the last of its line, and there'll probably never be another game like this. Bless Kojima for making the game he wanted.
  79. JustinR.
    Jun 18, 2008
    The best game I've played in years. It met every bit of the hype and left nothing wanting, except for it to keep going. I've already beat it twice and will go through a third time, absolutely amazing!
  80. KevinR
    Jun 18, 2008
    This is the greatest game ever made. From its rich and intricate storyline, to its immersive and varied gameplay, every detail is so well-crafted that the player is not left wanting in any area. Oh, and there's an awesome online mode that trumps just about anything else out there. I repeat, this is the greatest game ever made.
  81. RosemaryB.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Believe everything you've heard...well, except what you've heard from those four twats who gave it 80%.
  82. BenC
    Jun 18, 2008
    I haven't been in this much awe since i played Half Life 2 through for the first time (on PC). Absolute perfection, and finally a real reason for PS3 owners to shout out about their console. The gameplay is fantastic, with the best console FPS action i've seen, along with the customary stealth play. The choice is amazing, and the 'over indulgent' cutscenes should be I haven't been in this much awe since i played Half Life 2 through for the first time (on PC). Absolute perfection, and finally a real reason for PS3 owners to shout out about their console. The gameplay is fantastic, with the best console FPS action i've seen, along with the customary stealth play. The choice is amazing, and the 'over indulgent' cutscenes should be described as 'perfection incarnate'. It's obvious that some reviewers cannot appreciate true greatness when it is thrust upon them. Expand
  83. AldoM.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Spectacular, mindblowing and the end of the greatest story ever.
  84. CesarG.
    Jun 19, 2008
    This game is amazing, it's soo epic and an excellent way to close off this legendary series. It deserves every 10/10 score it receives... Anyone who rates it 6 or lowers are obviously xbots that want to rate the game lower... it's pathetic really.
  85. PeterV
    Jun 20, 2008
    No game, no developer compares to MGS4 or Kojima.
  86. RodrigoR.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Pros: great voice acting, nice action sequences, octocamo is just unbelievable, nice control scheme Cons: huge installation and load times between stages, too much cinemas hurt the pacing, the graphics are far from what was promised, enemies still walk like robots, cluttered story for first time players.
  87. JamesP.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Probably the best game I've ever played.
  88. ChristianG.
    Jun 20, 2008
    This game was simply amazing. A true masterpiece, gameplay was LOADS of fun , story line was so unbelievably amazing. Kojima put a lot of effort into it and it shows. Honest can say in the top 3 bets games ive ever played. A masterpiece
  89. Chris.P
    Jun 20, 2008
    The best game I have ever played in my lifetime. Hideo Kojima and Konami should be proud.
  90. PatrickM.
    Greatest game ever
  91. Nick
    Jun 20, 2008
    Absolutely epic. Cannot stress how fantastic this is. Yes it's more movie than game. But what there is to play is awesome. The cut-scenes look great, and really heighten the thrill when playing. At times I almost cried. Not forgetting you're getting the awesome online mode too. Think I shall be happy for a long long time with this.
  92. AnikS.
    Jun 25, 2008
    This is one game to rule them all! The best PS# game of 2008 and definitely worth buying, playing and spending money and time on it. A memorable cinematic game that will make you think how war transforms us into technological savages.
  93. DonC
    Jun 25, 2008
    I've seen many people play it and I'm getting a ps3 just to play it. Keith B., it's called patience. If you can't wait and watch extremely outstanding scenes, how do you play other games with cut-scenes; what more, games with stories/graphics that have less impact(games that are not as good) than this one?
  94. LeonardW.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Halo is utter muck, and the desperation of it's deluded fanboys shines through all too clearly on these comments, as does the pathetic agenda of people who admit to not even owning a PS3, or laughably suggest the piss poor Gamecube 'remake' of MGS1 is in the same league as any of the actual Kojima helmed masterpieces(Didn't even look as good as MGS2). MGS4 is quite Halo is utter muck, and the desperation of it's deluded fanboys shines through all too clearly on these comments, as does the pathetic agenda of people who admit to not even owning a PS3, or laughably suggest the piss poor Gamecube 'remake' of MGS1 is in the same league as any of the actual Kojima helmed masterpieces(Didn't even look as good as MGS2). MGS4 is quite simply the best game yet this generation, no matter what fanboys or M$ bought reviewers try to pretend. END OF! Expand
  95. Tyrile
    Jun 28, 2008
    I've played Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and unfortunately didn't have the time for MGS3. But of the 3 i played, MGS4 definitely is the best one. And friends who played all MGS so far say the same. It's simply amazing how this game absorbs you from the first second. Before even starting the game, and just looking at the Menu and waiting for several seconds procures an "epic" I've played Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and unfortunately didn't have the time for MGS3. But of the 3 i played, MGS4 definitely is the best one. And friends who played all MGS so far say the same. It's simply amazing how this game absorbs you from the first second. Before even starting the game, and just looking at the Menu and waiting for several seconds procures an "epic" feeling. This feeling is carried through the whole game. There wasn't one second I wanted to put my controller away, I could play this game for months to come. The cutscene's never felt too long, I actually wouldn't even have a problem if Kojima would just release dozens of movies with this incredible engine Konami created. There has never been any engine with this unbelievable detail. Rockstar created an awesome engine - Rage - as well, but it focuses on different Details. The gameplay is great as well. The game offers you so many different way to play through the level because of the countless elements options you get offered. The boss battles are so different from each other, and many of them are tricky to master, especially for those who never played a MGS before. The 5 chapters vary widely, and give you a little retroperspective as well. I could go on and on... all I can say to everybody is: buy this game, lock yourself in a room, and play through it! Definitely the best game this Generation so far and it deserves nothing less than a perfect score. Expand
  96. RCJ.
    Jun 20, 2008
    This is the most beautiful and the best game I've ever played. Everyone should try it.
  97. AdamskaS.
    Jun 29, 2008
    One of the best games I've ever played but THE best game I've played this generation.
  98. RogerB
    Jun 30, 2008
    Absolutely the most enthralling cinematic game experience I've played, ever. Addicting gameplay, plenty of options, weapons and equipment to satisfy war junkies, and varied action along with intense character development make this game excel on all fronts. The audio design and visuals set a new bar.
  99. ZeraP.
    Truly an amazing game.
  100. CaidenC.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Amazing game and even more entertaing ending. An irreplaceable icon.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.