8.7

1. DanW.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Who needs Hollywood? This game is absolutely stunning.
  2. MitchellD.
    Jun 15, 2008
    One of the greatest games to be released, MGS4 is the pinnacle of video game storytelling and high-octane action. Absolutely brilliant, loads of fun, and heart-wrenching.
  3. JasonM.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Epic on all fronts, possibly the most enjoyment i have ever obtained from a game and that says a lot.. so much fan service and just utterly glorious gameplay... a must own for all gaming fans.
  4. AlexA
    Jun 16, 2008
    Absolutely breathtaking. The greatest game ever created. Kojima has achieved something which other developers can only dream about. The BEST.
  5. Tonydannie
    Jun 17, 2008
    A Masterpiece! The gameplay is great and the action levels are very well designed. But what makes it even greater is how it wraps up the Metal Gear Solid saga! This is "The Godfather " of video game sagas!
  6. WillD.
    Jun 17, 2008
    10/10 Fantastic. The sites / magazines that gave this game 8 are a discrace to media journalisim, they obviously didn't understand the game.
  7. MattR.
    Jun 17, 2008
    This game is amazing. captivating cutscenes where the faces emote and fingers type even in in-game graphics engine. eat your heart out GTA 4.
  8. JosefB
    Jun 17, 2008
    One of the best games that I have played in a long while.
  9. AdamZ
    Jun 17, 2008
    Finished it in 21hrs, the best game ever created full stop. even if u havnt played the other games or it isnt your thing still check it out, its worth it !!!!
  10. JohnnyF.
    Jun 17, 2008
    The game was simply amazing. The story was great, along with fantastic gameplay. The only bad thing was that this was snakes last run. still the ending could only be describe with one word: badass!!!
  11. JohnT.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Any one that doesn't rate this game in the high 90s dosen't deserve to rate games. This game is unlike any thing to date. The detail, sound, and story is untouchable.
  12. MisterH.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Some reviewers have chosen to mark this game down for being designed to please MGS fans, instead of homogenizing the experience into a lowest common denominator shoot 'em-up, of which you can find dozens of on store shelves any day of the week. It's the last of its line, and there'll probably never be another game like this. Bless Kojima for making the game he wanted.
  13. JustinR.
    Jun 18, 2008
    The best game I've played in years. It met every bit of the hype and left nothing wanting, except for it to keep going. I've already beat it twice and will go through a third time, absolutely amazing!
  14. KevinR
    Jun 18, 2008
    This is the greatest game ever made. From its rich and intricate storyline, to its immersive and varied gameplay, every detail is so well-crafted that the player is not left wanting in any area. Oh, and there's an awesome online mode that trumps just about anything else out there. I repeat, this is the greatest game ever made.
  15. RosemaryB.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Believe everything you've heard...well, except what you've heard from those four twats who gave it 80%.
  16. BenC
    Jun 18, 2008
    I haven't been in this much awe since i played Half Life 2 through for the first time (on PC). Absolute perfection, and finally a real reason for PS3 owners to shout out about their console. The gameplay is fantastic, with the best console FPS action i've seen, along with the customary stealth play. The choice is amazing, and the 'over indulgent' cutscenes should be I haven't been in this much awe since i played Half Life 2 through for the first time (on PC). Absolute perfection, and finally a real reason for PS3 owners to shout out about their console. The gameplay is fantastic, with the best console FPS action i've seen, along with the customary stealth play. The choice is amazing, and the 'over indulgent' cutscenes should be described as 'perfection incarnate'. It's obvious that some reviewers cannot appreciate true greatness when it is thrust upon them. Expand
  17. AldoM.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Spectacular, mindblowing and the end of the greatest story ever.
  18. CesarG.
    Jun 19, 2008
    This game is amazing, it's soo epic and an excellent way to close off this legendary series. It deserves every 10/10 score it receives... Anyone who rates it 6 or lowers are obviously xbots that want to rate the game lower... it's pathetic really.
  19. PeterV
    Jun 20, 2008
    No game, no developer compares to MGS4 or Kojima.
  20. RodrigoR.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Pros: great voice acting, nice action sequences, octocamo is just unbelievable, nice control scheme Cons: huge installation and load times between stages, too much cinemas hurt the pacing, the graphics are far from what was promised, enemies still walk like robots, cluttered story for first time players.
  21. JamesP.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Probably the best game I've ever played.
  22. ChristianG.
    Jun 20, 2008
    This game was simply amazing. A true masterpiece, gameplay was LOADS of fun , story line was so unbelievably amazing. Kojima put a lot of effort into it and it shows. Honest can say in the top 3 bets games ive ever played. A masterpiece
  23. Chris.P
    Jun 20, 2008
    The best game I have ever played in my lifetime. Hideo Kojima and Konami should be proud.
  24. PatrickM.
    Jun 23, 2008
    Greatest game ever
  25. Nick
    Jun 20, 2008
    Absolutely epic. Cannot stress how fantastic this is. Yes it's more movie than game. But what there is to play is awesome. The cut-scenes look great, and really heighten the thrill when playing. At times I almost cried. Not forgetting you're getting the awesome online mode too. Think I shall be happy for a long long time with this.
  26. AnikS.
    Jun 25, 2008
    This is one game to rule them all! The best PS# game of 2008 and definitely worth buying, playing and spending money and time on it. A memorable cinematic game that will make you think how war transforms us into technological savages.
  27. DonC
    Jun 25, 2008
    I've seen many people play it and I'm getting a ps3 just to play it. Keith B., it's called patience. If you can't wait and watch extremely outstanding scenes, how do you play other games with cut-scenes; what more, games with stories/graphics that have less impact(games that are not as good) than this one?
  28. LeonardW.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Halo is utter muck, and the desperation of it's deluded fanboys shines through all too clearly on these comments, as does the pathetic agenda of people who admit to not even owning a PS3, or laughably suggest the piss poor Gamecube 'remake' of MGS1 is in the same league as any of the actual Kojima helmed masterpieces(Didn't even look as good as MGS2). MGS4 is quite Halo is utter muck, and the desperation of it's deluded fanboys shines through all too clearly on these comments, as does the pathetic agenda of people who admit to not even owning a PS3, or laughably suggest the piss poor Gamecube 'remake' of MGS1 is in the same league as any of the actual Kojima helmed masterpieces(Didn't even look as good as MGS2). MGS4 is quite simply the best game yet this generation, no matter what fanboys or M$ bought reviewers try to pretend. END OF! Expand
  29. JRT.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Video is great...the game is fun 70% of the time, however the guns are not Supper accurate you have a circle as your pointer with no definitive kill point the circle just has to be on whatever you are killing. I also do not like when you go to select an item it stops the game then you have to scroll through all of your items put the item in the use slot then after all of that you then get Video is great...the game is fun 70% of the time, however the guns are not Supper accurate you have a circle as your pointer with no definitive kill point the circle just has to be on whatever you are killing. I also do not like when you go to select an item it stops the game then you have to scroll through all of your items put the item in the use slot then after all of that you then get to play up to the point where you need another item and you have to stop the game and do it over and over. How many of you can carry a 55 gallon drum around in your pocket along with all of your guns ammo MRE Expand
  30. Tyrile
    Jun 28, 2008
    I've played Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and unfortunately didn't have the time for MGS3. But of the 3 i played, MGS4 definitely is the best one. And friends who played all MGS so far say the same. It's simply amazing how this game absorbs you from the first second. Before even starting the game, and just looking at the Menu and waiting for several seconds procures an "epic" I've played Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and unfortunately didn't have the time for MGS3. But of the 3 i played, MGS4 definitely is the best one. And friends who played all MGS so far say the same. It's simply amazing how this game absorbs you from the first second. Before even starting the game, and just looking at the Menu and waiting for several seconds procures an "epic" feeling. This feeling is carried through the whole game. There wasn't one second I wanted to put my controller away, I could play this game for months to come. The cutscene's never felt too long, I actually wouldn't even have a problem if Kojima would just release dozens of movies with this incredible engine Konami created. There has never been any engine with this unbelievable detail. Rockstar created an awesome engine - Rage - as well, but it focuses on different Details. The gameplay is great as well. The game offers you so many different way to play through the level because of the countless elements options you get offered. The boss battles are so different from each other, and many of them are tricky to master, especially for those who never played a MGS before. The 5 chapters vary widely, and give you a little retroperspective as well. I could go on and on... all I can say to everybody is: buy this game, lock yourself in a room, and play through it! Definitely the best game this Generation so far and it deserves nothing less than a perfect score. Expand
  31. RCJ.
    Jun 20, 2008
    This is the most beautiful and the best game I've ever played. Everyone should try it.
  32. AdamskaS.
    Jun 29, 2008
    One of the best games I've ever played but THE best game I've played this generation.
  33. RogerB
    Jun 30, 2008
    Absolutely the most enthralling cinematic game experience I've played, ever. Addicting gameplay, plenty of options, weapons and equipment to satisfy war junkies, and varied action along with intense character development make this game excel on all fronts. The audio design and visuals set a new bar.
  34. ZeraP.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Truly an amazing game.
  35. CaidenC.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Amazing game and even more entertaing ending. An irreplaceable icon.
  36. CarlosO.
    Jul 14, 2008
    The best game ever made. It made me feel more amazed by the history than most of the movies i have seen, it has a incredible combat and gameplay, amazing final battle and music and great online. Everybody who didn't liked it did not finish it or played it
  37. RicoD.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Yes its a good game but would being able to jump be too difficult? Snake can not climb a 3ft wall and is nowhere as agile as a Lara Croft. Its a shame the environment is so rigid and not a sandbox level where alternate strategies can be employed. Shoot an enemy and in a minute their gun will disappear leaving the body, bit odd that do they evaporate or something?
  38. JuanF.
    Jul 16, 2008
    Great game!!! I only played a level or 2 on some of the old Metal Gear games but I still loved this game. Before this game COD4 was the best gaming experience I've ever had, but no more. I haven't even played my GTAIV game since I bought this one.
  39. DenarP.
    Jul 24, 2008
    I will be surprised to find someone not liking this game. The feel of epic, as it is the final chapter of a saga. This is really the title that should be praised in years to come.
  40. DavidN
    Jul 30, 2008
    One of the best games I've ever played. It refines everything and truly is a next-gen masterpiece.
  41. BrandonN.
    Jul 4, 2008
    MGS4 in short is a masterpiece that should definitely be played by the fans of the series and non fans should take a look at... a truly epic experience
  42. JoshuaMo.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Mesmerizing from beginning to end, everything about this game just exudes craftsmanship, in my eyes Hideo Kojima is not just an auteur but a creative genius.
  43. NakulK.
    Jul 6, 2008
    A truly great game, with excellent gameplay, a gripping story, and amazing graphics. Without the half-hour cutscenes, it wouldn't be Metal Gear Solid!
  44. JonathanL.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Saying this game is good is an understatement. After 20-years of a storyline that went completely unrivaled, the series comes to a close. Metal Gear Solid 4 shows the power of technology and how creative a human being can aspire. The graphics, audio and overall quality make for a delightful experience to anyone who enjoys action, and the gripping storyline and series ending make for an Saying this game is good is an understatement. After 20-years of a storyline that went completely unrivaled, the series comes to a close. Metal Gear Solid 4 shows the power of technology and how creative a human being can aspire. The graphics, audio and overall quality make for a delightful experience to anyone who enjoys action, and the gripping storyline and series ending make for an emotional experience for those who are a fan of the series. Expand
  45. KyleS
    Jul 7, 2008
    Hideo Kojima is a complete genius. There is no doubt about it. This game had me captivated from beginning to end, with so many different ways to play, should I use my grenade launcher and barge straight through an enemy post, should I carefully snipe them all silently or just avoid them all together and sneak through. It really is amazing, by far the best game on ps3. Perhaps even the Hideo Kojima is a complete genius. There is no doubt about it. This game had me captivated from beginning to end, with so many different ways to play, should I use my grenade launcher and barge straight through an enemy post, should I carefully snipe them all silently or just avoid them all together and sneak through. It really is amazing, by far the best game on ps3. Perhaps even the best game on any console ever??? Expand
  46. Notafanboy
    Jul 9, 2008
    A fairly good game, not EXCELLENT, but good nonetheless. The graphics aren't the best, but they are very close. The range of tactics is surprising and will leave you replaying the game to see what would've happened if you'd gone about each route differently. Too story based, even though the story is satisfying. The cut scenes are ridiculously long, though. If I wanted to A fairly good game, not EXCELLENT, but good nonetheless. The graphics aren't the best, but they are very close. The range of tactics is surprising and will leave you replaying the game to see what would've happened if you'd gone about each route differently. Too story based, even though the story is satisfying. The cut scenes are ridiculously long, though. If I wanted to watch a cutscene for that long I could go find a movie. This is a game, not a movie, I don't want to watch a game, get it right. Expand
  47. TravisS.
    Jul 9, 2008
    Very artistic game. Set in the future it is fun to play the last chapter in snakes adventures. The "OctoCamo" is quite fun to play with and over the tech in the game is very pleasing. There was some times were the cut seens were a bit to long and to much time in between action. Online mode was a bust for me, it turns out you have to get some Konami ID thing and I did not go to the Very artistic game. Set in the future it is fun to play the last chapter in snakes adventures. The "OctoCamo" is quite fun to play with and over the tech in the game is very pleasing. There was some times were the cut seens were a bit to long and to much time in between action. Online mode was a bust for me, it turns out you have to get some Konami ID thing and I did not go to the trouble. Over all once you beat the single player it is worthless. Expand
  48. RodgerM.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Emotional, supremely playable, highly stylized and graphics that are simply head and shoulders above any other console game. Perhaps the best thing to happen to gaming in the last decade.
  49. VictorM.
    Aug 17, 2008
    An amazing game and truly the best game of all time. The story was top-notch, multiplayer, as some say rivals COD4, gameplay was amazing, graphics got close to Uncharted and sound... superb! Still, the big twist at the end, revealed by an unexpected character, is kinda stupid, you will know it when you see it and after you get every weapon, FACE-CAMO and emblem, you can still play it but An amazing game and truly the best game of all time. The story was top-notch, multiplayer, as some say rivals COD4, gameplay was amazing, graphics got close to Uncharted and sound... superb! Still, the big twist at the end, revealed by an unexpected character, is kinda stupid, you will know it when you see it and after you get every weapon, FACE-CAMO and emblem, you can still play it but it will be quite boring. For all it's shortcomings, MGS4 is an absolute MUST-BUY. Do not hesitate to buy a PS3 for this. Expand
  50. DanM
    Aug 21, 2008
    How do you make a game that transcends traditional gameplay? You make an incredible story that is completely interwoven into the game; not to mention you put in amazing graphics and super fun gameplay. If the opening theme in the main menu doesn't get you in the mood, you don't know good taste!
  51. FahdR.
    Aug 20, 2008
    A near perfect game. Embarasses every other game released this generation.
  52. ChrisK.
    Aug 27, 2008
    There are just too many cutscenes in MGS4, way way way too many and they're too long. When you sit down and watch all of them in a playthrough you aren't so much playing a game as you are watching a really long and fairly confusing movie that sometimes requires you to play a videogame in order to get to the next part. The truly irritating thing though is most of them are long in There are just too many cutscenes in MGS4, way way way too many and they're too long. When you sit down and watch all of them in a playthrough you aren't so much playing a game as you are watching a really long and fairly confusing movie that sometimes requires you to play a videogame in order to get to the next part. The truly irritating thing though is most of them are long in stupid ways, there's a hell of a lot of information being conveyed but excruciatingly slowly and redundantly, most cutscenes are just two people talking and despite the fact that they're usually talking in a warzone and talking about how urgent various things are they're talking with all the speed and urgency of two guys sitting out in a fishing boat drinking beer on a lazy Saturday afternoon. Then every two or three lines someone pauses so they can pace back and forth, strike a pose, smoke a cig or hand a can of cola to a shaved monkey. You ever seen a Japanese Samurai movie? You know how you were excited going in because there would be sword fights? Then when you watched it the vast majority of it's running time consisted of people sitting around flapping their jaws for twenty minutes at a time? Yeah MGS4 is exactly like that, and while the series has always been kind of like that Hideo has seriously gone over the line here. It's called a videogame, as in a form of entertainment which is supposed to be primarily interactive and for far too much of the time MGS4 just is not interactive. Maybe it's just a cultural thing, the Japanese are just really into long winded story lines packed with melodrama whereas over the years. Americans, However, have been moving more toward brief concise cutscenes or none at all. Hideo Kojima is simply not a great writer, director, or storyteller; and never has been. He has his moments, certainly, I'm not saying he is completely without talent, but he lacks consistency. Personally, I would have given the story a 6/10. The gameplay has not changed much since Metal Gear Solid for the PS1. They added first person aiming in MGS2, they added camouflage and CQC martial arts in MGS3 and added a basic 3D camera in the re release of MGS3, and here they add the most basic elements of an over the shoulder third person shooter.... Sam Fisher easily had as many abilities as Solid Snake in the first Splinter Cell and it was easier to deal with then in the last gen. This is just a matter of a control scheme that has outlasted it's time regardless of being tweaked here and there and just feels kind of crappy nowadays. My problem with MGS4 isn't that the gameplay is poor. It's actually the best in the series. Nor is my problem entirely about the lack of gameplay, as there are about seven or eight good hours of gameplay on the first playthrough. No, the biggest problem with MGS4 is its decidedly uneven structure. The vast majority of high quality gameplay is stuffed into the first two Acts of the game, while the last three Acts feel like diminutive, brief interludes between cutscenes. Most games gradually build to a climax, while MGS4 begins with a climax, and then goes flaccid, limping its way to the finish line. To be fair, there is a decent amount of replay value here, for those who care to get all of the Emblems, Face Camos, secret weapons and items, iPod tracks, etc. It's fun to do a No Kill/No Alert run through of the game, but skipping cutscenes the second time through only makes it more obvious that Acts 3-5 were an afterthought, gameplay-wise, compared to Acts 1 and 2. It's a shame, indeed. Ultimately MGS has always been as flawed as it is brilliant, but it's the only damn thing out there that's got whatever the hell special unnameable quality this series has that has kept me playing it. If you have played this series and are into it and like it and care about it then go out and play this one because you owe it to yourself to do so and see ihe series through to it's end, if you've never played this series before I strongly suggest you go buy a couple of the earlier ones first at a used game shop for cheap and after you've played them if you want to keep going then do so and play this one, if not then don't. I think the most telling thing however is even as someone who has been a fan of the series I only bothered to complete MGS4 once, it's not that it's worse than the earlier ones it's more that it just isn't any better than them and my tastes have changed alot since 1998 when I was 14 or 15 or whatever. Expand
  53. Carlos
    Aug 3, 2008
    Play the game i dont care who you are just play it 10 best everything.
  54. StephenH.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Metal Gear Solid is one of (if not) the best game I ever played. I would definitely say if you are a Metal Gear Solid fan to buy this game, you will love it. If you aren't a Metal Gear fan, still give it a try, you may fall in love. The gameplay is the best out of all the Metal Gear games and the graphics and story are top notch! A Game of the Year contender for sure!
  55. MattJ
    Oct 5, 2009
    Great Game You Really get to kno everyone and feel for them cause you dont want them to die it like playing movie and you can wait for the next video just so you can see what happens next this game keeps you hooked till the end
  56. AnonymousMC
    Apr 19, 2009
    In my opinion a masterpiece. I have only played MGS2 but the story line still made sense to me. Just because this isn't a cliché FPS people give it 0. I'm not a fan boy but you cant ignore genius.
    To all the people saying it has bad graphics, what are you blind?
  57. Zmobchomper
    May 13, 2009
    If I could, I would give this game a 9.8 or 9.9 out of 10. As a long time Metal Gear Solid fan, I knew what this game was. It's a game meant for the fans, first and foremost. Most of the _amazing_ parts of the game are only felt by those that've followed Snake and company for the past decade. It even made me tear up at times. I'll concede that the cutscenes do get lengthy If I could, I would give this game a 9.8 or 9.9 out of 10. As a long time Metal Gear Solid fan, I knew what this game was. It's a game meant for the fans, first and foremost. Most of the _amazing_ parts of the game are only felt by those that've followed Snake and company for the past decade. It even made me tear up at times. I'll concede that the cutscenes do get lengthy and at times are extremely cheesy and overbearing. Still, you have to understand that the devoted fans will understand what Kojima was doing here. The subsequent times I played through, I got a glimpse at what others complained about. For those that aren't totally attached to Metal Gear and it's universe, the cutscenes are way too lengthy. The military jargon becomes tedious and far too frequent at times. It feels as if Kojima wanted to take down every military term he'd ever heard in his life and tie it into his story somehow. It makes things convoluted and is mostly unnecessary. On any difficulty lower than Hard(Naked Snake? I don't remember), the game turns into a shooter. It's relatively easy to beat, even if you aren't very stealthy. For real fun, try the game on Big Boss extreme. It becomes very difficult, but if you enjoy stealth games(assuming that's why you played/want to play MGS4), you'll love what the Kojima Team offered. Blahblahblah yaddah yaddah. Ran out of ideas. Expand
  58. ChrisL
    May 17, 2009
    Some people obviously don't know what a true video game is. It isn't just about the gameplay, it's also about the plot and story. Metal Gear Solid 4 has the best storyline of any other game I've played so far. The story has drama, romance, comedy, and action. When bad things happen to the characters, you actually feel sad. Yes I agree, the cut scenes are a bit longer Some people obviously don't know what a true video game is. It isn't just about the gameplay, it's also about the plot and story. Metal Gear Solid 4 has the best storyline of any other game I've played so far. The story has drama, romance, comedy, and action. When bad things happen to the characters, you actually feel sad. Yes I agree, the cut scenes are a bit longer than they need to be, but if you listen to it, the story really blows you away. The gameplay can also match up to the story. Unlike other stealth games, the controls are fairly simple. The way you play the game is also very unique. While other stealth games pretty much forces you to play stealth ALL THE TIME and slows down your action gameplay (very boring), MGS4 allows you to choose your gaming style. You can either shoot your way through the game or sneak around your enemies. There are many weapons and items you can choose from and you can use those items in so many ways. From using the syringe to heal your Psyche or weaken your enemies, to Playboy magazines to distract your enemies. MGS4 is able to take off some of the seriousness in the game and just let the gamer have fun. Expand
  59. watwat
    Jul 1, 2009
    To all those who say "omg, this isn't a game, it's a movie, too much cut-scenes": Your whining is like going to see Kill Bill or Rambo and get disappointed because there's so much action, but guess what, THAT'S THE EFFING POINT. Including all the cutscenes is exactly what Kojima wanted. He wanted to fuse movies and games together , and according to your comments, To all those who say "omg, this isn't a game, it's a movie, too much cut-scenes": Your whining is like going to see Kill Bill or Rambo and get disappointed because there's so much action, but guess what, THAT'S THE EFFING POINT. Including all the cutscenes is exactly what Kojima wanted. He wanted to fuse movies and games together , and according to your comments, that's exactly what he's achieved. It's one of the reasons the fans love the series, we expect them. You can always argue the quality of the action in Rambo or the cutscenes in the MGS series, but saying that there's too much cutscenes is just plain stupid. You might just as well give all the Madden games 0 just because you don't like football. The goal of reviewing is to rate how well something is executed, not what the goal is. Expand
  60. Lance
    Aug 1, 2009
    You know, I am sad to be only giving this game a 7, because I am a HUGE fan of the Metal Gear Solid series. MGS 1, 2, and 3 are some of the best games ever made, in my opinion. However, MGS 4 sadly fell short for me. The whole stealth element that was key in the previous 3 games has now been sacrificed for the sake of creating these "living battlefield" environments, which, although You know, I am sad to be only giving this game a 7, because I am a HUGE fan of the Metal Gear Solid series. MGS 1, 2, and 3 are some of the best games ever made, in my opinion. However, MGS 4 sadly fell short for me. The whole stealth element that was key in the previous 3 games has now been sacrificed for the sake of creating these "living battlefield" environments, which, although interesting and original, make sneaking both awkward and pointless, as it's quicker to just shoot everything. Secondly, there is little to nothing added to the core gameplay, and all you get instead is some fancier gadgets to use, extremely disappointing when one considers the unique survival aspect that made MGS 3 so entertaining. Graphically, there is nothing to say. The game is beautiful, yes, but so are a lot of games. The story is what really ruined this game for me. Now, I have ALWAYS loved the MGS story line, and personally one of my favourites was the story of MGS 2, a plot that many found overly complicated, but it still worked. My main complaint about MGS 4's story line is how it essentially takes every single major concept from the past 3 games, mashes them all together, and then adds a huge number of new plot elements which weren't even MENTIONED in previous games. MGS 2's story, though complex, was a logical continuation of MGS. Despite all this, I was willing to swallow MGS 4's story and still declare it at least a 9.... that is until one of the last cutscenes in the game introduced a plot element so incredibly ludacris, far-fetched, and most of all, STUPID, that it could not be forgiven. I really wish that MGS 4 hadn't ended this way, but fortunately, I will always have the first 3 games to make me forget about this disappointing end to what is otherwise, by far, my favourite video game series of all time. Oh, and by the way, making snake into an old man was a terrible idea. Snake is far too cool to be wrinkled and fragile. I'm not saying old characters can't be cool, but not Snake. He deserved better than that. Expand
  61. PeterY.
    Oct 18, 2008
    Just finally found the time to beat this game and it is easily one of the best games I've ever played. The presentation is fantastic. The flashbacks, the use of the split screen, the great cutscenes, and the music combine to form a unique, emotional experience that cannot be found anywhere else. The gameplay is varied, fun and rewarding. The different difficulty modes caters to both Just finally found the time to beat this game and it is easily one of the best games I've ever played. The presentation is fantastic. The flashbacks, the use of the split screen, the great cutscenes, and the music combine to form a unique, emotional experience that cannot be found anywhere else. The gameplay is varied, fun and rewarding. The different difficulty modes caters to both extreme hardcore gamers or just the casual gamer. The biggest knock on this game is the story, or more specifically, MGS2's story. Kojima did his best to answer all the questions in the series' history, including ridiculous questions like how Liquid's arm could take over Ocelot's body. As a result, the story kinda jumps from place to place or goes on a bit too long, as they try to tie up all the loose ends. And one other thing was the acting, which varied from good, to great, to downright bad. There are also a couple of cheesy scenes that I thought didn't really fit into the flow of the game, especially at that point in the game. My actual score would be closer to 9.5, but since Metacritic is on a 1-10 scale, I rounded up. Expand
  62. GaryB.
    Oct 30, 2008
    One word for this. MASTERPIECE. If you are a person who dosent like lenghty cutscenes at all, then I wouldn't really recommend this game. However, if you even like just a little, this game is meant for you. It has loads of gameplay action, and near the end the cutscene are beautiful and emotional. There are so many people who admitted that they cried at the end of the game. This is One word for this. MASTERPIECE. If you are a person who dosent like lenghty cutscenes at all, then I wouldn't really recommend this game. However, if you even like just a little, this game is meant for you. It has loads of gameplay action, and near the end the cutscene are beautiful and emotional. There are so many people who admitted that they cried at the end of the game. This is how moving it is. This is how great it is. This is Metal Gear Solid 4. Expand
  63. JeremyS
    Oct 9, 2008
    I had never played an MGS game before this one, I simply read up on the backstory before going in to play it and I must say I was impressed. I'm a bit more of a passive player I suppose when it comes to single player games, and I actually liked having a buttload of cutscenes. I'm one of those mutants who genuinely enjoys spectating in an online game; I enjoy watching a good I had never played an MGS game before this one, I simply read up on the backstory before going in to play it and I must say I was impressed. I'm a bit more of a passive player I suppose when it comes to single player games, and I actually liked having a buttload of cutscenes. I'm one of those mutants who genuinely enjoys spectating in an online game; I enjoy watching a good show, and that's what the cutscenes provided. The gameplay was enjoyable, certainly better than Splinter Cell in my opinion in which stealth is far too important. Overall, the best console game I have played in years. Expand
  64. JoeK.
    May 31, 2008
    GREAT GAME!
  65. SamayL.
    Jun 11, 2008
    Amazing graphics, oh so wonderful gameplay, I loved the first 3 but this just blew me away.
  66. MartinW.
    Jun 11, 2008
    Everything is wow...the gameplay is solid, the graphics are the best I've seen this gen, the cut-scenes are amazing, again the best cut-scenes EVER! The story is great although a little hard to follow at times. The 5.1 sound is amazing...if you've got a 5.1 Digital sound system crank it up you'll think you at the movies. This game is so awesome...I wanna go play it!
  67. DaT.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Incredible graphics, wonderfull gameplay. The only thing I can complain about as the very very long cutscenes, and I really didnt mind it all that much.
  68. AndyS.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Great game. Graphics are great, uncompressed sound actually sounds a lot better, and great storyline.
  69. DavidB.
    Jun 12, 2008
    The extreme immersive nature of MGS4 brings me closer than ever to the intense story line. It was definitely worth the wait. I can't imagine a better ending to the most brilliantly ingenious video game series I have ever played.
  70. WilliamE.
    Jun 12, 2008
    It's not a masterpiece, it's THE masterpiece.
  71. MatthewL.
    Jun 12, 2008
    This game was a thrilling experience. The last game that gave me this much fun was released in 1998. Deserving of this 10 and should be a must for anyone who even thinks about considering themself a gamer.
  72. AB
    Jun 12, 2008
    Through the first half of the game.. Most groundbreaking game so far this year.
  73. PaulH.
    Jun 12, 2008
    A worthy conclusion to snakes story! Awesome from what I've played so far!
  74. GeorgeBailey
    Jun 12, 2008
    The end off the series, and what an end it is. Think Metal Gear Solid 3, but not in the jungle. The Octocamo is superb, and everything that made the MGS series great is still here, including Kojima's fantastic sense of humour, and some exhilarating action sequences. And who can forget the plot? This game promises to be the best in the series yet, and I have no doubt that it will be. The end off the series, and what an end it is. Think Metal Gear Solid 3, but not in the jungle. The Octocamo is superb, and everything that made the MGS series great is still here, including Kojima's fantastic sense of humour, and some exhilarating action sequences. And who can forget the plot? This game promises to be the best in the series yet, and I have no doubt that it will be. I've already played it for hours today, and I've also been on Metal Gear Online, the online mode that comes FREE with the game. What can I say? It is fantastic! And it's free, 2 games in 1! Harry Gregson Williams returns to do the musical score, and it is as phenomenal as usual. No more needs to be said, this game is a must have, whether you're a fan of the series or not. Expand
  75. dralph
    Jun 12, 2008
    Havn't played previous MGS games but i am enjoying this, it's fab! As good as half life 2 IMO
  76. DavidD.r
    Jun 13, 2008
    Best game I have ever played. Most intelligent game ever made!
  77. WarrenR.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Best in the series! Best of the year.
  78. JohnC.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Fantastic game. Very very indepth and can be slightly intimidating for non-stealth fans. But extremely well put together and the AI is impressive in their search tactics.
  79. DerekC.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Metal Gear Solid 4 marks the end of an epic saga of espionage, double crossers, cardboard boxes, and walking tanks. War has changed, and along with it the stealth platform has evolved, into something that totally grips you and won't let go. The story does an incredibly job of wrapping up every loose end in the franchise, and does it in a very entertaining and emotional way. Metal Gear Solid 4 marks the end of an epic saga of espionage, double crossers, cardboard boxes, and walking tanks. War has changed, and along with it the stealth platform has evolved, into something that totally grips you and won't let go. The story does an incredibly job of wrapping up every loose end in the franchise, and does it in a very entertaining and emotional way. Snake's final mission is over, our time has ended. MGS4 is a true benchmark in interactive entertainment. Expand
  80. BazD.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The simplest way to put it is I've never seen or played a better video game. If any previous game deserved a 10 rating then certainly this one does!
  81. HumbertoM.
    Jun 13, 2008
    This game is incredible. Im stunned by how a game with such a great story, great gameplay, and great graphics can be brought down to an 8. ALL the reviews have said that the ONLY thing that brings this game down are the......cutscences? Unbelievable that cutscences alone can bring the game down to an 8. Especially when all reviews unanimously say this game have incredible and genius This game is incredible. Im stunned by how a game with such a great story, great gameplay, and great graphics can be brought down to an 8. ALL the reviews have said that the ONLY thing that brings this game down are the......cutscences? Unbelievable that cutscences alone can bring the game down to an 8. Especially when all reviews unanimously say this game have incredible and genius moment of gameplay and plot. Its sad really. Cutscences may be too long BUT THEY CAN BE SKIPPED. And even if they are long, MGS cutscences/story have always been better than any other action game. It deserves a 10. I haven't met a person yet whose told me GTA4 truly deserved a 10. Expand
  82. JuanCarlosS.
    Jun 13, 2008
    This is simply THE best game in the series. Enough said.
  83. JimmyT.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Truly the mark of an amazing game with cutting edge visuals and story no other game available has been able to present.
  84. FrankW.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Quite simply one of the best game experiences I have had in years. Beautiful.
  85. SteveJ.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The sheer power of the graphics is impossible to describe, this game is truly spectacular. That alone does not merit a positive review, but when coupled with the fact that the game is pure Metal Gear genius, I think it does. If you are a GAMER, you MUST own this game, there is no way to say it any better.
  86. JonathanC.
    Jun 13, 2008
    WOW. Simply breath-taking! Most cinematic game I've EVER played! Tight controls too!
  87. CodyW.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Hands down the best game of the PS3 and one of best games period.
  88. MattC
    Jun 13, 2008
    It is really unlike any game I have played before, it is amazing how any game can be this good!
  89. RichA.
    Jun 13, 2008
    This really is the closest thing to the first perfect exclusive title for the ps3. It's incredible gameplay and phenomenal storyline make for a superb single player game, matched with one of the best online experiences to date on the PS3 in Metal Gear Online... this game really is the total package.
  90. SpeedNut
    Amazing, simply amazing.
  91. RajbirB.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Amazinge experience... I've never felt so emotional while playing a videogame. Take care, Snake.
  92. SteveW.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The best video game I have played in the past 10 years, This is what the PS3 is all about!
  93. BobbyB.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Best game so far for this generation systems.
  94. CameronM.
    Jun 13, 2008
    This game raises the bar for what video game story telling should be. The direction and character animation is the best ever created for a video game.
  95. JoelF.
    Jun 14, 2008
    This is is masterful. The plot and character development are deep and the gameplay is extremely rewarding. I can understand that someone who doesn't enjoy the espionage/combat mixture might not get much out of the game, or someone who doesn't want to follow the twisting plot might get tired. This is a mature game in many ways, an intellectual game with a lot to say. But This is is masterful. The plot and character development are deep and the gameplay is extremely rewarding. I can understand that someone who doesn't enjoy the espionage/combat mixture might not get much out of the game, or someone who doesn't want to follow the twisting plot might get tired. This is a mature game in many ways, an intellectual game with a lot to say. But it's also very strange and downright silly at times. Expand
  96. G_homes
    Jun 14, 2008
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patrios is a rare game that you can find, that has stunning graphics, amazing gameplay, and an emotional storyline compressed into one single Blu Ray disk, you can never find a game this good, playing with the legendary hero Solid Snake in his final mission. If you don't have a Sony Playstation 3, go out and buy one, just for MGS4, it's worth it Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patrios is a rare game that you can find, that has stunning graphics, amazing gameplay, and an emotional storyline compressed into one single Blu Ray disk, you can never find a game this good, playing with the legendary hero Solid Snake in his final mission. If you don't have a Sony Playstation 3, go out and buy one, just for MGS4, it's worth it alone, and for those who have a PS3 without MGS4 all I can say is shame on you. Expand
  97. TravisL.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Awesome seriously I don't know what else to say. I would really give it a 9.5 but that's not an option so I will do my best.
  98. TudorP.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Amazing story, full with intricacies and complex plot points. Great gameplay with tons of content and style. Great graphics and superb sound. All round a behemoth of a game. An instant classic worthy of highest praise.
  99. BenT.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Leaves nothing out. Superb storytelling seamlessly integrated with game play.
  100. RobertT.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game so far for the PS3 and a remarkable example of what the PS3 is capable of. Despite some "bad" reviews", this game is one of the best, I've played in years, even enjoying it more than GTA4. It is a must buy and the fact, that some gave it 80 scores, only proves how biased some magazines became.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.