8.7

1. Jun 9, 2013
    First metal gear solid game I ever played, I bought this in 2013 and think its good for a 2008 game as many games I own that are from 2008 no longer impress me. The game was difficult to play at first as I progressed through the first mission but I eventually got the hang of it before I reached the end of that first mission. There is a lot of options while trying to be stealthy and I meanFirst metal gear solid game I ever played, I bought this in 2013 and think its good for a 2008 game as many games I own that are from 2008 no longer impress me. The game was difficult to play at first as I progressed through the first mission but I eventually got the hang of it before I reached the end of that first mission. There is a lot of options while trying to be stealthy and I mean a lot which makes missions more fun.
    The cut scenes are very long and even the shortest of them go on for a few minutes but the cinematic's are interesting even if I did not get it at first i eventually understood what was happening. If your into games that give you a load of options I recommend trying it.
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots is very much into its own self importance. This does not really feel like a game but more an interactive movie. Out of the 22 hours to complete the game, I only spent 7 hours actually moving. I know this because at the end of the game there are stats of how long you spend prone, crouching and walking etc. The action in the game is very much whatMetal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots is very much into its own self importance. This does not really feel like a game but more an interactive movie. Out of the 22 hours to complete the game, I only spent 7 hours actually moving. I know this because at the end of the game there are stats of how long you spend prone, crouching and walking etc. The action in the game is very much what Metal Gear fans like with the classic formula still intact. Its just a shame that these are broken up by LONG video sequences that CANNOT be skipped. One scene i had to watch two or three times at 20 minutes each because I died. It was just painful. There is one really genius moment which fans of the original will spot and hopefully enjoy as much as I did.
    I cannot say this game is bad because it wasn't. But the story really took over what is meant to be a game. At times I began to really switch off to the story just because it felt like my life was being sucked away from the LONG LONG backwards and forwards conversations throughout the game.
    The serious serious fans of the series are likely to not have a bad word to say but if like me you just want to play a game then this just goes on for far to long. Playing only one third of a game does not sound right does it?
    I had such hopes of this game and its the reason i brought a PS3, but it left me very disappointed.
  3. RobW
    Sep 4, 2009
    Fantastic graphics, good gameplay and fairly non-linear objectives made the first few levels really enjoyable, but I quickly became increasingly frustrated with the volume and length of the cutscenes - if you were to take them all out, you'd find that there's hardly any actual "game" here at all. Some of the objectives aren't clear, and you have to keep repeating sections Fantastic graphics, good gameplay and fairly non-linear objectives made the first few levels really enjoyable, but I quickly became increasingly frustrated with the volume and length of the cutscenes - if you were to take them all out, you'd find that there's hardly any actual "game" here at all. Some of the objectives aren't clear, and you have to keep repeating sections over and over until you get it right. The bit where you get to play as Snake in MGS1 was genius though, but it just made me want to dig it out of the loft and play it through again rather than sit through any more of this pile of drivel. Expand
  4. Mar 9, 2013
    This game is overhyped. The story becomes ridicilious with all the Nano things, the bosses are boring and you do watch more than play, which is a big failure if you thinking about, that this actually is a game. Its big fan service with things like shadow moses included, has good graphics and also the gameplay is good but the things that i mention above just ruins a part of the game.
  5. Aug 30, 2010
    Metal Gear Solid 4 does a brilliant job of finishing off the Metal Gear Solid narrative, and a great gift to those who patiently absorbed every detail of the previous three games, but perhaps its best purpose is as a reminder of why most feature films are only two hours long.

Few film directors ever get to have their true visions realized in full, so why should it be any different for Hideo Kojima and the Metal Gear Solid team? Is it taken for granted that gamers have been trained to experience long stories over multiple sessions? Metal Gear Solid 4 is an incredible experience that throws the player into the greatest action film they have ever witnessed. It just has a terrible way of pulling the player out of that experience every 20 minutes or so, and plopping them down into the seat of someone watching an equally exhausting sci-fi flick by a self-serving director. During the action-hero sequences, the player is given many amazing gadgets and weapons to play with, only to have them plucked away moments later. In the end, it feels like there wasn't enough space on the cutting room floor for all of the game's excess narrative.
  6. JeffB
    Nov 6, 2009
    I was expecting a lot going into this game. It looked beautiful, the ratings were excellent and the game looked promising as a whole. And by the time the first cut scene was over and the controls were given to me I had decided that it was my favorite game of all time. From that point on however, it was all down hill. As the game progresses it loses more and more of its mature tone towards I was expecting a lot going into this game. It looked beautiful, the ratings were excellent and the game looked promising as a whole. And by the time the first cut scene was over and the controls were given to me I had decided that it was my favorite game of all time. From that point on however, it was all down hill. As the game progresses it loses more and more of its mature tone towards a theme that is absolutely idiotic. The characters are terrible, they look ridiculous and the conversations reminded me more of Pokemon than a video game. The are attempts at humor and pathetic and the game will interrupt you for basically no reason in some parts so it can play another idiotic cut scene that will likely take up another half hour of time you should be sneaking around. I have never seen a video game such as this in which almost every character is either unbelievably gay or just plain stupid. Snake is the only good character in this game and at some points I thought this only because the other characters were so unbelievably terrible. Despite these things however I played out the rest of the game hoping it would pass. Unfortunately however these things only got worse as the game played on. By the end you will have seen four crazy bitches scream for 20 minutes straight (which is honestly nothing more than irritating), You will have seen a monkey smoking, a full grown man crap his pants and then watch in disbelief as the game try's to make you laugh with fart jokes, a gay vampire dance like a ballerina as you repeatedly blow his brains out, an incredibly pale ninja guy fight with a sword in his mouth, the absolute worst attempt at romance I've ever seen a video game attempt during a shootout, and to top it off there will be a wedding at the end the is so unbelievably gay that I literally turned my system off because of. I hate to say it but in order to experience this game's good qualities you will have to survive being hit over the head with so many unbelievably stupid elements that the game will fall short as a whole. Expand
  7. DasV
    Dec 6, 2009
    MGS4 is very disappointing and the most overrated game I
  8. juanm
    Feb 9, 2010
    This game is what made me buy the PS3 instead of the XBOX 360, but after playing it all I can say is I'm glad for other PS3 exclusives. It's not a bad game, gameplay wise, but it's the story that's made previous metal gear games stand out, and this one just doesn't deliver. It's all fan service, and no substance. It feels more like Commando than James Bond.This game is what made me buy the PS3 instead of the XBOX 360, but after playing it all I can say is I'm glad for other PS3 exclusives. It's not a bad game, gameplay wise, but it's the story that's made previous metal gear games stand out, and this one just doesn't deliver. It's all fan service, and no substance. It feels more like Commando than James Bond. Characters routinely survive things that are definitely quite lethal, with no explanation other than Kojima wasn't ready for them to die. The core story, which would be quite good otherwise, is swallowed up by these shallow attempts to elicit emotion from the player. On top of that, there are hardly any new characters. The beauty and beast corps, while technically 4 characters, might as well be 1 character for all the similarities in their backstories and personalities. Only you have to listen to their stories 4 times. But my biggest gripe is a technical one. You have to install the game between each chapter. And doing so uninstalls the last chapter. So if you want to go back and replay a boss or segment of the game, you have to reinstall that chapter. Then, when you want to return to where you were before, you have to reinstall again. This gets very old very fast, and greatly diminishes the game's replay value. Not that there was that much to begin with. Expand
  9. aspentitan
    Jan 21, 2010
    I was guilty of buying this game because it was so highly rated so thought it necessary to post a negative review of this game here because I just couldn
  10. YerielH
    Mar 15, 2010
    I have alot to say about this game and this little space does not do me any good. Unfortunately MGS4 was a failure. I am a huge MGS fan and is probably the only games I ever play anymore, but this was wrong. A real fan would wake up and notice that Konjima is feeding us recycled plots and storylines. I suspect he did not write MGS4 at all or he did not write the series to from beginning I have alot to say about this game and this little space does not do me any good. Unfortunately MGS4 was a failure. I am a huge MGS fan and is probably the only games I ever play anymore, but this was wrong. A real fan would wake up and notice that Konjima is feeding us recycled plots and storylines. I suspect he did not write MGS4 at all or he did not write the series to from beginning to end before starting with MG but wrote as he went along and did not write MGS4 well at all. The game is graphically stunning and the controls are tight and it is by no means a un-enjoyably game, but Metal Gear Solid is a game based on gameplay intertwined with story. Hideo gave fans what they wanted a overdramatic, poorly written, self-aware story. I wanted to see Hideo write and produce a game that he wanted to make not a game he submissively gave to those who just wanted to see a ending. This does not deserve a perfect score by no means.!!! Expand
  11. Apr 11, 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is a descent game, but one with some huge faults. The good stuff first: Great graphics, fun stealthy gameplay, epic boss fights... Basically, all the same stuff that made the old MGS games good. However, this is truly the game where you watch more then you play. Ten minutes of gameplay = thirty minutes of cut-scene or more. The older games had a good balance of play toMetal Gear Solid 4 is a descent game, but one with some huge faults. The good stuff first: Great graphics, fun stealthy gameplay, epic boss fights... Basically, all the same stuff that made the old MGS games good. However, this is truly the game where you watch more then you play. Ten minutes of gameplay = thirty minutes of cut-scene or more. The older games had a good balance of play to watch ratio. Metal Gear Solid 4 unbalances it to ridiculous proportions. That's not the only problem, either. The story and dialogue that you're forced to endlessly watch is ham-fisted, convoluted and confusing. It gets so wrapped up in it's own intricacies and technical details, that the bigger picture becomes diluted and difficult to understand. In the end, I found MGS4 to be a fun game with infuriating story components that came close to unraveling the whole package. I really think that Hideo Kojima needs to reel himself in and go back to basics for the next Solid Snake outing. Expand
  12. Jul 30, 2011
    great game-play. some of the best i have ever endured, but dear god is the story the most god-awful, border-line retarded, droll ridden, piece of **** i have ever experienced. i played this game through probably 8 times and did not watch one single cut scene. do you know why? because every cutscene is 20 minutes to 3 hours in length that back tracks on the most essential parts of the metalgreat game-play. some of the best i have ever endured, but dear god is the story the most god-awful, border-line retarded, droll ridden, piece of **** i have ever experienced. i played this game through probably 8 times and did not watch one single cut scene. do you know why? because every cutscene is 20 minutes to 3 hours in length that back tracks on the most essential parts of the metal gear story. not to mention you ride on the back of a motor cycle with your 90 year old mom shooting electronic bats (that is objectively retarded, do not evin begin to try to argue with me) and kojima feels compelled to go back to shadow moses because he obviously cant thin of any thing better to write and needs the nostalgia of a true classic to make up for his lack of effort with MGS 2-4. by the way, "lets make snake 70 years old because of the nanomachines so we can hurry up and finish the story because we cant think of **** else to write." once again, gameplay: worth buying (A+), story: an abomination of epic proportions (ruthlessly homosexual, F-) Expand
  13. Oct 15, 2012
    Los primeros actos son soberbios, plagados de escenarios increibles y objetivos variados.
    El problema llega a partir de Europa ya el juego se convierte en un video interactivo en el que, para explicarte la enrevesadisima trama del juego, se suceden y suceden secuencias de video, algunas de ellas tan innecesarias como vergonzosas o pateticas (la boda, por ejemplo).
    Los gráficos son
    Los gráficos son de lo mejorcito aun hoy en día y el sonido no se queda atrás así como los controles, completamente renovados y con muchas posibilidades.
    Al final del juego te da la impresión de que te has pasado casi tanto tiempo viendo videos como jugando aunque si eres fan de la saga lo sabrás perdonar ya que se cierran muchos interrogantes de la trama que nos enganchó ya desde PSone. A Kojima se le ha ido totalmente la mano pero aun así los seguidores de la saga lo disfrutaran y mucho.
    GRAFICOS: 10 SONIDO: 8 DIVERSION: 7,5 DURACION: 7
  14. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overrated. That's one word to describe the experience I had with this game. It's not bad, mind you but it has some "identity crisis". Having the game split in chapters with different locations is a bad idea because instead of having places that feel like places, we have areas that look like levels of a game, with conveniently placed walls.
    Take the jungle of mg3, the whole world feels connected, you feel like you are "exploring" the area and not just "move from point A to point B".
    I mentioned "identity crisis" because this game seems to not be able to decide whether it's trying to tell a new tale or it's trying to mimic key moments from previous games. I felt like I was watching a bad scripted series finale of a tv show in which all the actors available appear for no reason other that:"it's the ending I want to be there". Trying to connect all the people involved could have been great but it feels forced, some plot points happen just because they need to make supporting characters do something.
    Then we have cutscenes, dear lord, really, I would have edited out at least 15 minutes from each cutscene, or at least I would have made playable somehow.
    The worst offenders are the boss fights with B&B, the game expects us to feel sympathetic towards the enemy but... after a boss fight where my first thought is "save, I want to save!" I must suffer a stock "tragic backstory" via Codec. This is not how you make a character likable or multi dimensional, this is how you make a character even more boring.
    Another thing that I just didn't get is Psycho Mantis, why does he show up? What's his purpose? I thought he became good in mgs1 why he is saying generic monologues? In the end I didn't get half of what' was going on,events for me happened just because they needed to include other characters or because they wanted to make cool action scenes.
    Even the ending could have been heartwarming instead I got an extremely boring and confusing summary of the plot in which the world "zero" was repeated so many times that i stopped caring after a few minutes.
    In the end, I don't hate this game, but I can enjoy it if I don't mind some weird design/plot choices. It's just not the masterpiece everybody is praising about.
  15. Oct 18, 2013
    Im sorry. i tried to liked this game. but i cant
    its horrible.
    i missed the stealth gameplay
    Metal gear solid is "TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION"
    NOT A "FUTURE WARFARE ACTION"
    the bosses aren deep
    the dialogs are so stupid
    and the plot is very absurd.
    kojima what did you smoke? you spent.
    this games is overrated just for being a ps3 exclusive
    and the last game of the story
  16. ScottF
    Mar 30, 2010
    I really wanted to like this game. I loved MGS1 & 2 as they featured lots of tight stealth action. However, I found MGS4 left me cold. Instead of sneaking correctly through the more open ended levels, I found it easier to just run through in the open in a dash to the next checkpoint. I found the cutscenes stupidly long, and excruciatingly boring. Whats the fun in playing for 5 minutes, I really wanted to like this game. I loved MGS1 & 2 as they featured lots of tight stealth action. However, I found MGS4 left me cold. Instead of sneaking correctly through the more open ended levels, I found it easier to just run through in the open in a dash to the next checkpoint. I found the cutscenes stupidly long, and excruciatingly boring. Whats the fun in playing for 5 minutes, and then watching a mind numbing 20 minute cut scene? Another 5 mins of playtime, and another 20 mins of putting the pad down and twiddling your thumbs? It'a an absolute mess of pacing. The game is technically very sound, and if you are a big MGS fan you might be able to put up with it and enjoy it. But for non series fans, and people who actually want to PLAY a video game, and not just stare at cut scenes, steer clear. Expand
  17. Spartan
    Jun 19, 2008
    This is the part where like every single other person here I either show I'm a PS3 fanboy and rate it 10 or show I'm 360/Wii fanboy (both good consoles to) and rate it 0. Yet since I'm neither I'll split the difference and give it a 5.
  18. Jul 4, 2012
    A great homage to the whole series. The bosses were familiar while interesting, and the gameplay was refined to a tee. Unfortunately, the gameplay takes a back-seat to the story, which makes up the bulk of what should have been a much longer and better paced game. Simply making this game longer or perhaps releasing it later would have provided a much more sufficient game to movie ratio.
  19. Dec 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In terms of game play this game would be a 9 out of ten. mostly because it did not reward stealth as much as the other MGS games. it is the story and Raiden that bring this game down. at the end of mgs2 you felt helpless. the enemy was so much bigger than you could imagine. then in mgs4 it was just two old guys fighting each other. and explaining all the supernatural stuff with nano machines was just bad. plus they took innocent Raiden and tried to make him a bad ass. I loved innocent Raiden. Expand
  20. CraigF
    Nov 3, 2008
    Great graphics and sound, but if I wanted to watch a movie I would have. The amount and length of cut scenes is insane and should be included on a separate disc to watch at your leisure. The game play is great and has been improved since the previous games, but you must know what happened in the older games to understand everything going on here. Overall I only gave if a 5 because I was Great graphics and sound, but if I wanted to watch a movie I would have. The amount and length of cut scenes is insane and should be included on a separate disc to watch at your leisure. The game play is great and has been improved since the previous games, but you must know what happened in the older games to understand everything going on here. Overall I only gave if a 5 because I was disappointed at the amount of time wasted playing it. Expand
  21. May 4, 2011
    For it's time, I thought Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation was one of the more engrossing and involving games of it's time. I couldn't put down the controller, and enjoyed every cutscene, every codec, and all the gameplay throughout.
    Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 came out, and the gameplay changed slightly, and while it they were pretty great games, the plot became more convoluted...and the dialogue just got **** and ****.

MSG4 was a disappointment to me...and a large fan of the series. The dialogue is pretty terrible. I cannot fathom why the writers kept having Snake keep on repeating what people were telling him in the form of the question. "It was the Patriots, Snake." "The Patriots!?" This happens MULTIPLE times throughout the game. The dialogue was honestly eye-rolling...it was corny, and disappointing.
    Anyway...the game is worth the $30.00 I paid for it used. Pick it up...enjoy it as much as you can, because to make it through the exaggerated dialogue and trite cutscenes took every ounce of needing closure to the series as I could muster.
  22. Aug 18, 2011
    Good music, graphicsand online play, decent story, bad gameplay. The gameplay consists of running from cutscene to cutscene, the game holding your hand the whole way through. This game was a huge disappointment compared to MGS3, but it is decent enough. I'm glad I bought the Greatest Hits version for $20.00, otherwise I would probably feel ripped off.
  23. Nov 16, 2011
    I am not a fan of this series, but not for a lack of trying. I have heard great things about this game and for the most part I thought the story in this game was great... maybe too great. many times throughout the game, I kept thinking to myself, when is the next cutscene going to happen, and not care that much for the gameplay. That is never a good thing. I was so bored throughout theI am not a fan of this series, but not for a lack of trying. I have heard great things about this game and for the most part I thought the story in this game was great... maybe too great. many times throughout the game, I kept thinking to myself, when is the next cutscene going to happen, and not care that much for the gameplay. That is never a good thing. I was so bored throughout the constant sneaking and crawling that I almost wanted to get caught, I probably shouldn't be complaining about a lack of conflict in a stealth game, but when sneaking around is this boring, the game developers have done something wrong. Why were there so few enemies to sneak past in this game, there was a point in the game where I didn't come across any enemies for what seemed like a full half hour. I was just crawling in an empty jungle. Even as the game got better at Act 3, Act 4 came along and through me in a blizzard and gave me no direction to go in (and of course the only enemies I find are the giant, two-legged, mooing robots). Not to mention this series is to meta for me to have any sense of immersion. I was very aware that I was playing a video game and that is never a good thing. Video games are a lot like movies or books, they need to take you to places that you could only dream about. There was some good to the game, though. I liked the story, even though I didn't feel much for the characters (but I could tell there was a lot of history here), Act 3 was great, and the bosses were all sorts of creative. But I just feel like this game wasn't ment for me. Fans of this franchise will enjoy this game for many years, but I couldn't care less. I'll just go on youtube, watch the cutscenes, and call it a day. Expand
  24. Sep 10, 2011
    I can see why people love MGS4, but for me, I can't. As much as I like video games with stories, MGS4 takes it to a whole new level. MGS2 is my favorite in the series, I never got my hands on 1, but 2 and 3 are great games and highly recommend them... but when I picked this up, this game put me to sleep. The cut scenes were so long, I actually took a nap... Then you have to install theI can see why people love MGS4, but for me, I can't. As much as I like video games with stories, MGS4 takes it to a whole new level. MGS2 is my favorite in the series, I never got my hands on 1, but 2 and 3 are great games and highly recommend them... but when I picked this up, this game put me to sleep. The cut scenes were so long, I actually took a nap... Then you have to install the different chapters onto your PS3 and you can only have one at a time, so either you load Chapter 1, then load 2, and if you wanna go to another save file, you gotta load Chapter 5... it's complete hell. But through all this garbage, MGS4 does have a decent multiplayer that'll keep you hooked for about 1 hour, and the gameplay is fun in Singleplayer and is a MGS in the end so you can't really go wrong there. But when the game makes the player wait 30 minutes to actually interact with the game and actually play it, I can't call it a game. Metal Gear Solid 4 is an interactive movie. You spend more time, trying to follow a story that makes little to no sense, than you do actually shooting bad guys. I could go on and on about how much I'm disappointed in the game because it drove me insane, and there are a lot of combat elements that are realistic and fun, but the actual "GAME", just sucks. Expand
  25. AdamAnonymous
    May 28, 2008
    After going through the beta I found it to be a disappointment. The graphics are of a good standard but I wouldn't claim it as the best of the current gen, visually. I found the actual gameplay to be rather choppy and there was far too many cut scenes which can often be annoying. It reminds me some what of a movie experience, but unfortunately it didn't resemble the interactiveAfter going through the beta I found it to be a disappointment. The graphics are of a good standard but I wouldn't claim it as the best of the current gen, visually. I found the actual gameplay to be rather choppy and there was far too many cut scenes which can often be annoying. It reminds me some what of a movie experience, but unfortunately it didn't resemble the interactive masterpiece that I was hoping for. I am giving thbis game a six, it doesn't deserve lower because it isn't a bad game..it's just a bit average. Expand
  26. BenW.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Install times are annoying. Some cut scenes are way too long, and provide nothing to the MAIN plot. Controls could be a lot better.
  27. ElliottP.
    Jun 13, 2008
    This game is a lot less than it could've been. I'm sorry to see that too, since it's the last game in the saga. Oh well.
  28. KeithC.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The movement of the character is not smooth at all... I don't understand why this game must be on a blue ray disc.
  29. HarniqS.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Good game but horribly overrated/overhyped. The biggest problem is it's niche market. Whilst it might cater to some people, it won't bring new people to the series nor be a huge system seller. After the most likely lackluster sales, it might even come to the 360 so no rush for a PS3.
  30. SamB.
    Jun 20, 2008
    I've never encountered a game that seems so intent on keeping the player from actually playing the game. "Immersion" does not involve taking the player out of the action for 30+ minutes at a time.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.