8.7

1. Dec 2, 2014
    I was a huge MGS fan back in the day and this game makes me scared to go back and play them because honestly I don't find the gameplay fun and trying to understand what is going on in the story is about as hard as reading 18th century literature when you're in American high school. The pacing of gameplay to cutscene is terrible. I don't mind the amount and length of cutscenes as much asI was a huge MGS fan back in the day and this game makes me scared to go back and play them because honestly I don't find the gameplay fun and trying to understand what is going on in the story is about as hard as reading 18th century literature when you're in American high school. The pacing of gameplay to cutscene is terrible. I don't mind the amount and length of cutscenes as much as other people but what gets to me is you watch a cutscene, walk down a hallway, and bam; another cutscene. Cutscenes are rewards for completing levels. These cutscenes are like giving trophies to kids who came in last place and declaring that we are all winners. I played about 10 hours. I probably won't play anymore. Maybe I'll watch the rest of youtube so I can have closure. Expand
  2. Nov 27, 2014
    Games this good should be celebrated!

it's a master of the craft simply showing off.

There's so many metaphors and meanings in this game that they begin to mock themselves, mock you for enjoying them then makes you cry when it comes to it's end.

it can be played in any way you want and is still a classic.
  3. Nov 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is not much I can say about MGS4 that hasn't been said already; it is a masterpiece. Yes, there are hours upon hours of long cutscenes and explanation, but for Metal Gear fans, including myself, they are all very fun and entertaining to watch. MGS4 is also one of the most emotional games I have ever experienced, watching Solid Snake go to the ends of the Earth to get this final job done is heart-breaking and makes you love the character even more. The ending is perfect, any fan of the series who has played the previous games, is sure to shed the tear. Rest in Peace, Solid Snake. We salute you. Expand
  4. Nov 3, 2014
    Four letters for this stunningly amazing masterpiece: E-P-I-C. Literally this is the Godfather/Citizen Kaneof the PSN exclusives for PS3. Just play this game or play legacy colelction and then this to get this game fully nonetheless this is a visually impressive and story rich classic. Public enemy pun: BELIEVE THE HYPE.
  5. Oct 27, 2014
    While I was thinking what to write here for this score, I saw what one of the critics wrote. One called 'Kikizo'. He gave 10/10, but I was totally agreeing with his(her) words: Yes the game settings IS ridiculous and it doesn't make any sense. The acting is also absurdly bad... But then I lost the guy: No this is not MGS I remember (I played only the first one). MSG1 had very clean andWhile I was thinking what to write here for this score, I saw what one of the critics wrote. One called 'Kikizo'. He gave 10/10, but I was totally agreeing with his(her) words: Yes the game settings IS ridiculous and it doesn't make any sense. The acting is also absurdly bad... But then I lost the guy: No this is not MGS I remember (I played only the first one). MSG1 had very clean and well defined game-play, and this one is a mess. The story did matter then, and it's blown out of proportion now. The cut-scenes are uninteresting and absurdly long. Overall I am very disappointed with this one. But I hear many people like it... And while it might be overrated for what it is, you also may easily fall in the other camp of fans, who will actually enjoy the game. I did not. Expand
  6. Oct 19, 2014
    This is by far my favorite of the series! The length of the cutscenes are not surprising since MGS does have long cutscenes in general. Gameplay is a bit more like a shooter and a bit too easy. The story and characters and story are stronger then they have ever been. This game contains nostalgia, good characters, great story, an amazing final boss, and the perfect ending! 10/10
  7. Oct 19, 2014
    Es un buen juego que podría ser muchísimo mejor si no fuera por las interminables y cansinas escenas de vídeo y por el poco tiempo que pasamos jugándolo. Para ser de 2008 es un juego bastante grande a nivel técnico y no se le notan mucho los años.
    Un juego inclasificable y muy friki, que también se disfruta mas si se ha jugado a los anteriores, aunque esperemos que MGSV tenga menos cháchara y mas acción.
  8. Oct 17, 2014
    Una obra maestro de ps3 rejugable 1000veces y nunca deja de sorprender, si tuviera dialogos fuera del ingles seria la gran obra maestra de esta generacion, superando a the last of us
  9. Oct 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WARNING: I will try to keep this review as spoiler free as possible. However, I may give away some story details so, SPOILER ALERT

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a good game. Don't get me wrong, I like the game. But is it as good as that Metacritic score of 94/100 makes you believe? No.

Let's start off with the pros. First of all, this game looks great. Yeah some of the textures are a bit off, but if THAT is the decisive factor that makes you go "Ugh, this game sucks", then you need to get out of gaming. Now. The animations are very fluid, the character models are great, and even the lip sync isn't all that bad. Yeah, there are a few instances were you notice that the mouth doesn't move according to the word, but this game came out in 2008. It did a fantastic job with what it had. (Some of) The gameplay elements are worthy of commendation as well. Snake can (FINALLY) move while crouched, and a lot of the problems in MGS3 are greatly streamlined in MGS4. Camouflage is handled brilliantly in this game, with the new automatic OctoCamo system. No more fiddling around in menus in this one. The Solid Eye is also a great addition, combining multiple functions in one handy gadget. The enviroments are (for the most part) pretty creative and well realized, and even like the concept of the story. War has become a business that holds the global economy together, and through war The Patriots have essentially achieved world domination. It's a very good summary. Couple that with some interesting ideas, such as Snake's accelerated aging, and there is a lot to like about this game.

Sadly, not everything is good. Let's start off with one of my biggest problems with the game: The Story. Im one of the people who play Metal Gear games for their story first and foremost. And unfortunately the story does not deliver on a lot of different levels. While some of the ideas are good, their execution is sloppy at best, and at worst it's just terrible. On top of that, there are several plot holes that really take away from the experience. For example, Meryl states that she can communicate with her team through the nanomachines in their bodies. However it is later revealed that Johnny does not have nanos. That's fair enough, but why does Meryl look so surprised? She should have known that Johnny didnt have nanos the mometn she couldn't communicate with him. While we're on the subject, why is Johnny even in the game? I mean, I understand that his inclusion is tradition at this point, but Jesus Christ, he doesn't need to be in the game to the extent that he is. This brings me to another topic I would like to discuss. A lot of the returning characters in MGS4 have no reason to be there. Im not talking about people like Raiden or Naomi, Im talking about the likes of EVA and Vamp. Think about it. The whole point of going to Eastern Europe in the first place is to get the equipement that can heal Raiden. However once you get there, Otacon calls you and says "Oh Raiden is fine. We got the equipement from this completely unecessary returning character, that most people don't even know to begin with. Still, go meet Big Momma, because... REASONS".

Another thing that bothers me big time about this game is the fan service. It's one thing to be self referential (like the previous games were) but it's another to go all out and bring every character under the sun, and make every possible reference, and have ridiculous bits (like Snake going into Eastern Europe in a Young Snake disguise) just to please fans.

Last but not least let's talk about the cutscenes. Before I get started, let me tell you that I LOVE the cutscenes of MGS1, 2 and 3. They are super entertaining, and I never skip them. MGS4 has a lot of cutscenes, yes, but that's not the problem. The problem is how BORING some of them are. Im giving Act 3 a hard time, but it's my review so shut up. Take the final cutscene of Act 3 for example. It is 72 minutes long. That's a very long time, but the problem isn't the 72 minutes, the problem is the fact that this thing could have been trimmed down by about 50/60 minutes, without any detrimental impact to the story. Another particular pet pieve of mine is the final "Epilogue" Act. It takes 75 minutes to wrap things up in a nice bow. The problem is that, by my estimative, it could have been trimmed down to around half an hour.

So overall, MGS4 is a good game. It looks very good, It has some nice ideas, and the gameplay for the first two acts is very "Solid" (sorry, I couldnt resist). BUT, from Act 3 onwards, the gameplay takes a backseat to a poor story and a load of fan service, and it suffers because of it. It's a damn shame, because this could have been the best game in the series. As it stands though, it's a nice "tribute" with a few good ideas.

VEREDICT: 7 out of 10
  10. Oct 2, 2014
    Tengo un problema con esta saga. MGS y Snake Eater me parecen obras maestras, sin embargo cuando recuerdo MGS2 o este MGS4 veo muy poquito de esa genialidad. Hablando de esta cuarta entrega. La mayoría del juego se basa en abusar de personajes de otras entregas, que para colmo vuelven para fastidiar el buen recuerdo que tenías de ellos. Las cinemáticas larga, interminables y muchas vecesTengo un problema con esta saga. MGS y Snake Eater me parecen obras maestras, sin embargo cuando recuerdo MGS2 o este MGS4 veo muy poquito de esa genialidad. Hablando de esta cuarta entrega. La mayoría del juego se basa en abusar de personajes de otras entregas, que para colmo vuelven para fastidiar el buen recuerdo que tenías de ellos. Las cinemáticas larga, interminables y muchas veces pesadas. Momentos de vergüenza ajena o franco ridículo que pretenden ser emocionantes. Y en definitva una película- juego bastante rollo. Con cosas buenas, a veces brillantes, pero con mucha ida de olla de humor tonto y barato, desarrollo lento y pesado. Expand
  11. Sep 17, 2014
    The greatest game i ever played. Gameplay is by far the best in any mgs. The stroy is also the most epic and closes in most of the gaps from the previous games. Cutscenes are long but i'm never bored when watching this. Also making snake old is a great addition since we were use to the prime snake who can kick any ones ass easily with no problem. Overall its my favorite game of all time.
  12. Sep 12, 2014
    Very good story, you might be confused if not familiar with the MGS series, don't hesitate to make some research before you play on what happened before this game, the characters...Gameplay is great, you can play through the game with a lot of stealth or just shoot a lot and there is a good choice of customizable weapons. Graphics were great when this game was released and are stillVery good story, you might be confused if not familiar with the MGS series, don't hesitate to make some research before you play on what happened before this game, the characters...Gameplay is great, you can play through the game with a lot of stealth or just shoot a lot and there is a good choice of customizable weapons. Graphics were great when this game was released and are still pleasant in my opinion. Great musics, great characters. A classic and one of my favorites on PS3. Expand
  13. Sep 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metal Gear Solid 4 delivers a great gameplay and cinimatic experiance for those who are fans of the series. Mgs has a very nice story with amazingly polished cutscenes that are long, but persinally I love the long cutscenes because for me it makes the story not feel rushed and really takes time to explain alot of gaps in the story (and lore) of the MGS universe. The stoy has been taking hit after hit of people not liking the nano-machine explinations for everything, but personally I liked it, it felt right and bang on for the setting and time of the story where technology is very advance and nano machines are used for almost every perpose. For a gamer that poors alot of emotions into games I felt this was a great ending to the legendary Solid Snake! For gameplay it was great with alot of variation to combat. When putting people in a head lock you have so many differnt ways to end your enemy! There are alot of guns, but you may only find yourself using a few of the same but if you choose to use other it can change up gameplay alot! You will recieve neat gear from bosses that you can use in new game+ and are really fun to use. If you are planning to go for the platinum you will find yourself playing the game with alot of playstyles to get all the games emblems which need at least 8 playthroughs. Metal gear solid guns 4 from start to platinum is a blast with an amazingly told story and great stealth gameplay (if you choose to play like that) that will keep you engaged for as many playthroughs as you choose to play. That is why I give Metal Gear Solid 4 a 10/10 as a fan of the lore and series, I highly recommend Snakes last mission. Expand
  14. Sep 10, 2014
    Horrible game. Not much more to say about it really. All glitch and fiddly. Camera angles are horrible, combat is horrible. Storyline horrible and unclear. Hate it. Go play cod.
  15. Sep 9, 2014
    For anyone who has played a metal gear solid game this is a must have. It is a perfect blend of action and adventure and the story is so great in its depth it will keep you playing "to see what happens next. Very few games deserve a perfect score but this is one of them. Even if you've never played metal gear solid you can't miss this. If you really want to play it I suggest getting twinFor anyone who has played a metal gear solid game this is a must have. It is a perfect blend of action and adventure and the story is so great in its depth it will keep you playing "to see what happens next. Very few games deserve a perfect score but this is one of them. Even if you've never played metal gear solid you can't miss this. If you really want to play it I suggest getting twin snakes on GameCube, and the metal gear solid 2 and 3 remake on the ps3 just to know the story before playing this. The metal gear series offers the best story telling of any game hands down. Expand
  16. Aug 24, 2014
    I found this game on sale and, having heard highly of it, decided to pick it up. What a horrible mistake. I cannot see how this game can be enjoyed if not by nostalgia or hype.
    This is barely a game. From my total 20 hours spent on this "video game", nine where in cutscenes. This has barely more gameplay than it has cutscenes. And, of the other 11 hours, maybe 3 or 4 are actually the gameplay I head so much about, with big maps and several options, with Snake being able to hide and sneak past by guards. All the rest was composed of scripted scenes with QTEs, "shoot-whatever-appears" (done more than once), button mashes and other kinds of pseudo-gameplay.
    Just stay away from this. If you're a true diehard fan of the series, watch a gameplay on YT. You're not losing anything.
  17. Aug 23, 2014
    I was not brought up on Metal Gear Solid games. Therefore, I did not enter this game with any kind of nostalgia as many other gamers did. I found the controls to be incredibly clunky and frustrating and really did not enjoy the experience at all.
  18. Jul 15, 2014
    sometimes Boring, sometimes It makes me cringe. It's worst game in all of the MGS series(bestest is MGS3). DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME IT IS JUST SH*T......
  19. Jul 1, 2014
    I don't think I could come up with a legitimate complaint about this game if I tried, the only negative is that the cutscenes can be on the lengthy side (30-40 minutes!) Every gameplay related problem I had with previous Metal Gear games like the camera is gone, replaced with an excellent third-person over-the-shoulder camera that properly allows you to see each enemy is. Controls areI don't think I could come up with a legitimate complaint about this game if I tried, the only negative is that the cutscenes can be on the lengthy side (30-40 minutes!) Every gameplay related problem I had with previous Metal Gear games like the camera is gone, replaced with an excellent third-person over-the-shoulder camera that properly allows you to see each enemy is. Controls are tight and fluid, and it feels as though I'm finally being allowed to SNEAK. The problem is the gun mechanics and battles are so enjoyable, that goes out the window immediately. Forget sneaking, shoot everything. Expand
  20. Jun 27, 2014
    Отличное завершение истории Солида Снейка. Разнообразие геймплея и кинематографичность заставок поражают.
  21. Jun 18, 2014
    This should have been the best Metal Gear game. Sadly it isn't.
    I won't go in-depth, put here are a few things that people fail to point out in this game.
    This should have been the best Metal Gear game. Sadly it isn't.
    1. There are so many cutscenes that are entirely pointless, or could be speed up to save time. Nothing would be lost if these cutscenes were removed. In fact, there are 3 relationships in this game that take up at least 1 hour, of the 8.5 hours of cutscenes ,that should have been removed as they add nothing to the story. The story should have been refined more.

2. There are a few forced or nonsensical moments. While few in quantity, these moments could have easily been changed.

3. Something that is never addressed is the blizzard effects. This might qualify as the best effect in video game history! Developers generally think as rain, snow, fog, ect... as an auxiliary to the game. If the blizzard effects were not in MGS4, the game would be much less impressive. The snow gradually collects on stationary objects. The high winds can push snow off, or carry more onto an object. Taking cover will make the snow gradually fall off in an impressive manner. The blizzard obscures Snake's vision, sometimes inhibiting his line of sight to a meter in front of him; conversely the storm may lighten up to allow Snake to see 15 meters in front off him. taking cover behind an object were the wind isn't blowing will cause the snow to fall off. What needs to be understood is that the blizzard effect was not an afterthought. It is a very graphically impressive feature ahead of its time.

4. The music and voice acting some of the best in gaming history, even for today.

5. The world building is great. The game provides visuals and information that establish the Metal Gear world well.

MGS4 has a great main plot, some very evocative moments, and is extremely graphically impressive. This review doesn't cover much, but the 5 points are rarely covered and need to be known. This game should be a 10/10, but too many idiotic additions to the story prevent it from being so.
  22. Jun 2, 2014
    Considering the potential scope of the material, "wasted opportunity" is more than an understatement. Global conspiracies, mechs, mercenaries, a world embroiled in conflict etc. It's all familiar stuff but still effective; in theory.

This is the pinnacle of fan-servicing. I have never seen such bad writing in a game of this caliber. Hideo Kojima was always a terrible writer but the stuff he's come out with here is just beyond words. Somebody should have broken the man's fingers or at least put him into cryogenic freezing for 200 years in the hope that when he would reawaken Konami would be long gone, and there would be no company that would have his repugnant brain in employ. Some cutscenes go on for twenty minutes... some go on for two. It doesn't make any difference because by the time they get to the point you have already forgotten what you wanted to find out. The characters (protagonist(s) and antagonists) are all repugnant and two dimensional. I do not care about their hopes, dreams, desires, fears; they can all go jump in the lake.

Oh yeah and 'uncompressed audio?' **** you.

Gameplay mechanics are still as faulty as ever in true lovable MGS style. Restrictive environments aplenty and horrible control scheme. Movements are too jerky and unrefined to produce a smooth and subtle stealth experience. Stick to Splinter Cell (or Dishonored etc). The game also looks like garbage and this is inexcusable considering how long it was in development for... This is the same year that we had Dead Space and Far Cry 2 and they still hold up today. The biggest visual problem is that amount of really cheap cover ups, 90% of the textures are smeared and the brick walls look like an armada of pasta bakes lined up next to each other.

The MGS series was groundbreaking at one point in time, although the golden years have long since passed. MGS might have been the first human to ever take a dump in a toilet but it missed the bowl completely. If you love Hideo Kojima then go right ahead and disregard what I have said but if you want to play an actual game then steer clear
  23. Apr 5, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece, BUT you need to play MGS 1,2,3 to understand the story...if you played the other 3, you'll love this game, it's awesome from the start menu to the after credits
  24. Mar 31, 2014
    Metal gear solid 4, is the culmination the one of the most important franchise of games. The ambientation of the game is really good, in sometimes we believe that we are in war. The gameplay is typical of the franchise, and we choose if we want stealth or accion. The game have many weapons and customization options.

The history is very good, and conects all the loose ends of the saga

The history is very good, and conects all the loose ends of the saga offering epics moments, special mention the end, that is amazing.

As I said before, the history is very good, but is difficult follows, especially if you aren't fan of the saga.

another point that I didn´t like is that scenes video are very very longs, and we can desperate, we spend more time waching scenes video than playing.
  25. Mar 30, 2014
    F''''ng incredible, so much depth the soundtrack, the plot, snake, the easter eggs, the characters, the control, the boxes, the bosses, the final boss with that you will cry buy it now if you like metal gear solid.
  26. Mar 30, 2014
    Honestly i don't mind cutscenes as long as they are ALL about being EPIC(kojima style) and are very important. The problem however is this game has so many cutscenes where there is pointless chatter about technical details of no utmost importance... considering they are 90% of all cutscenes and that the game is itself 90% cutscenes = tedious game.

I was disapointed as MGS1 was truly

I was disapointed as MGS1 was truly epic and there were maybe 3-4 cutscenes with this kind of pointless ramblings about sciencific facts. In contrast, this game, the whole experience is like this!!
    I find myself being unmotivated to start after taking 1 day breaks.

Also, the game has turned from being stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to infiltrate bases....into a boring action game where there's too much action on the screen going on at the same time... it killed the whole espionage aspect that I liked the most about this series.

I hate developpers these days, they keep changing things that weren't broken to begin with and end up changing everything I liked about the series.
  27. Mar 23, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is an absolutely phenomenal game! This along with Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us should be the measuring stick to which all other games compare not only their quality but their stories as well!
  28. Mar 20, 2014
    This is an amazing installment in the Metal Gear franchise with the return of the lovely hero, Solid, or now known as "Old Snake". The story may be a bit over-complicated at times but it still holds of atrociously well, one of my gripes though, is that the boss battles aren't as good or memorable as in the previous games.
  29. Mar 19, 2014
    I’ll be honest, after about an hour or so of playing Metal Gear Solid 4 I decided I was just going to skip all the cut scenes. Maybe I just don’t have the patience I used to but I just couldn't face sitting through hour after hour of Hideo Kojima’s ramblings. Of course it meant that I had virtually no idea what was going on most of the time but I could at least get on with actually playingI’ll be honest, after about an hour or so of playing Metal Gear Solid 4 I decided I was just going to skip all the cut scenes. Maybe I just don’t have the patience I used to but I just couldn't face sitting through hour after hour of Hideo Kojima’s ramblings. Of course it meant that I had virtually no idea what was going on most of the time but I could at least get on with actually playing the game and, for the most part.

In all honesty the basic mechanics have generally changed very little since the Playstation One days and, while many would argue that it hasn't really needed to, it does mean that it is behind other stealth games like Deus Ex or Dishonored in terms of the level of freedom offered. Fortunately Kojima’s ability to conceive ideas and set pieces that very few other game designers can, means there are always surprises just around the corner and this is largely what kept me playing all the way to the end. If Kojima can accept he is a game designer not a film director then maybe we’ll be treated to a true classic again one day but for now this will do.
  30. Mar 18, 2014
    awesome, gamme ,long cinematics, good conclusion, i cryed alot, is one of the best ends ever, the graphics where good for being 2008 graphics , and kojima just take all the metal gears and mixed it, love this game
  31. Mar 18, 2014
    awesome game all the feels on thata, th best way to close the saga is that. i love how kojima write the history, and old snake oh god is so sad is a mature game and a nostalgic game i love it remeber me metal gear 1
  32. Mar 2, 2014
    One of the must own exclusives, and games period for the Ps3. Sure the cut scenes can be a bit long, but they help make the game the masterpiece that it is. This is a great game, and should be played by anyone who owns a Ps3. Would definitely buy this as a collector.
  33. Mar 1, 2014
    People give this game such a bad reputation because there are a Lot of cutscenes in this game however if you are a fan of the games universe this is perfect for you because this game series has been going on for near 20 years at the point this game was released and in that time there had been about 7 other games released which covered content from the cold war onwards to the games presentPeople give this game such a bad reputation because there are a Lot of cutscenes in this game however if you are a fan of the games universe this is perfect for you because this game series has been going on for near 20 years at the point this game was released and in that time there had been about 7 other games released which covered content from the cold war onwards to the games present day. This game fills almost all the gaps that were there before the game was released.

Now the game itself is amazing for numerous reason such as its graphics, camouflage system, different environments and enemy diversity. The game is made so that stealth is more rewarded but not completely necessary, that surveying the area gives better rewards in ways such as better weapons,drebin points or better vantage points. The graphics for the year are amazing and to this day has only small differences to the 'next gen' graphics from some military franchise or other which is released every year. The variety weapons and equipment gives not only stealth or offensive options but options inside those options which does help when faced with a very secure location.
  34. Feb 24, 2014
    A true masterpiece and a great ending to Solid Snake's legacy. The graphics, story and gameplay are all extremely well crafted. A definite must buy for any PS3 owner.
  35. Feb 23, 2014
    this game is just one big piece of awsome .....and sadness the final part of the mgs saga mgs4 has old snake coming out of retirement and has to go kill liquid ocelot but there is one problem snake has accelerated aging this game has so man cutscenes but i could not decide whether this was a good thing or abad thing this game has less a focus on stealth and more a sense of action and thethis game is just one big piece of awsome .....and sadness the final part of the mgs saga mgs4 has old snake coming out of retirement and has to go kill liquid ocelot but there is one problem snake has accelerated aging this game has so man cutscenes but i could not decide whether this was a good thing or abad thing this game has less a focus on stealth and more a sense of action and the ending this is the sort of ending you cry at and anyone who says they didnt is either lying or a haertless **** Expand
  36. Feb 10, 2014
    This game is awesome, the perfect end to the story of Solid Snake. MGS's fans is necessary have this game, if you unknown Metal Gear Solid's saga, get away from this game, and best begin with Metal Gear Solid 1 for PSX.
  37. Feb 9, 2014
    I don’t care what some critics say; this is a worthy sequel to a worthy series. It is just as indispensible as the other Metal Gear games and the final scenes leading up to, and including, the final boss battle are some of the most well-designed, emotional and memorable scenes in a videogame.
  38. Feb 8, 2014
    I finish this game, so I believe I can write a review. This game is OK. I don't think it deserves above 8 on the User Score because the graphics is at 1080 but it looks like 720. I think the cut scenes are way way too long and If I want to watch a movie, I will watch a Blu-ray movie; not MGS4 movie. I game play is very good if you like single players.
  39. Feb 3, 2014
    Length: 10 out of 10
    Re-play: 6 out of 10
    Value: 10 out of 10
  40. Jan 8, 2014
    The best Metal Gear Solid game to date and easily the best Playstation 3 exclusive (The Last of Us comes close though). Everything about this game is just perfect: the visuals are great, the soundtrack is awesome, the story is amazing and the characters are extremely memorable. I just love what they did to Raiden after how he was in Metal Gear Solid 2, they made him into an awesome cyborgThe best Metal Gear Solid game to date and easily the best Playstation 3 exclusive (The Last of Us comes close though). Everything about this game is just perfect: the visuals are great, the soundtrack is awesome, the story is amazing and the characters are extremely memorable. I just love what they did to Raiden after how he was in Metal Gear Solid 2, they made him into an awesome cyborg and a character with a very interesting back story. This is one of best games ever made and one of my personal favorites of all time. Expand
  41. Jan 1, 2014
    For fans of the stealth genera, you will want to buy this game. This game can be hard at times, but for hardcore players this is a good thing. The boss fights are amazing, and the story goes along perfectly. There are some flaws, and some aspects are overrated. One of the biggest points is that there are a lack of checkpoints throughout the game. Overall though for a $10 pre-owned MGS4,For fans of the stealth genera, you will want to buy this game. This game can be hard at times, but for hardcore players this is a good thing. The boss fights are amazing, and the story goes along perfectly. There are some flaws, and some aspects are overrated. One of the biggest points is that there are a lack of checkpoints throughout the game. Overall though for a $10 pre-owned MGS4, this game would be worth your time with its tactical-stealth experience. Expand
  42. Dec 31, 2013
    Pros:

-Amazing story and ending (4+)
    -Nice Graphics (2+)
    -Fun Gameplay (2+)
    -Great soundtrack and voice acting (2+)

Cons:

- 90 minute cutscene crap (0.3-)
    - Clunky controls (personal opinion)
    - Cheesy (-0.1)

Overall Score: 9.6/10. Extremely Awesome
  43. Dec 23, 2013
    "Legends die hard and deserve a heroic story that lives on when they are gone. Metal Gear Solid 4 is such an ending for the legendary warrior Solid Snake. Not only does it sum up the full franchise of Metal Gear, its depth and its complexity, coupled with its technical prowess, make it one of the best games of the year and, indeed, one of the best games ever made. Get some well earned"Legends die hard and deserve a heroic story that lives on when they are gone. Metal Gear Solid 4 is such an ending for the legendary warrior Solid Snake. Not only does it sum up the full franchise of Metal Gear, its depth and its complexity, coupled with its technical prowess, make it one of the best games of the year and, indeed, one of the best games ever made. Get some well earned rest, Snake. You've earned it. We salute you." Expand
  44. Dec 4, 2013
    This game is pretty much my favorite MGS game, the game play was truly astonishing back in the days and still is, this was such a quality game for the PS3 console when it was first released, the graphics, the animation, the cut scenes, the gameplay, the sound.. everything was top notch, Kojima Productions really pushed the PS3 to it's limits when most of the games at that time couldn'tThis game is pretty much my favorite MGS game, the game play was truly astonishing back in the days and still is, this was such a quality game for the PS3 console when it was first released, the graphics, the animation, the cut scenes, the gameplay, the sound.. everything was top notch, Kojima Productions really pushed the PS3 to it's limits when most of the games at that time couldn't even be compared to MGS4, visually.

And then, the most important aspect of the game, the story obviously. The storyline was beyond amazing, i've played through the game so many times because of the storyline, i'm not supposed to spoil anything when writing a review even tho most people have already played this, but i can say that the story was both dramatic and exciting.

I know i'm quite late with a review but i didn't create a user account on metacritic until now so why not give this game some more credits
  45. Dec 2, 2013
    The true sequel to my best game ever (MGS2). I played MGS4 when I first bought a PS3. Since I had forgotten a lot of the details from the series, I got half of the exprerience. Now, I decided it was a good time to refresh my MGS storyline, so I played through MGS, MGS2 and MGS4 (I plan to continue to the Big Boss games). Now that I have a full idea of what's happening and why, and alsoThe true sequel to my best game ever (MGS2). I played MGS4 when I first bought a PS3. Since I had forgotten a lot of the details from the series, I got half of the exprerience. Now, I decided it was a good time to refresh my MGS storyline, so I played through MGS, MGS2 and MGS4 (I plan to continue to the Big Boss games). Now that I have a full idea of what's happening and why, and also I've grown as a gamer, since 2008 is 5 years back, I can firmly say that it deserves a perfect score since it ticked all of the boxes and even beyond as a great sequel and as a story ending.

This is Kojima at his best. Both gameplaywise and storywise.
  46. Nov 24, 2013
    Easily the greatest game of this gen,the story is fantastic you feel like a true legend playing through the eyes of solid snake AKA old snake ,at times there is the odd silliness but this is expected as part of the series the boss fights are epic the cut scenes are long winded but is a joy to sit back and watch this game is a must for all gamers
  47. Nov 24, 2013
    This is one of my favourite titles on PS3. Hideo Kojima has a sharp eye for details in games and one gets to appreciate this in MGS4. There is an insane level of detail given to everything from the menu, through the movie like cutscenes and to the gameplay itself. It is a unique experience on the PS3 and one you should not skip over. The environments are greatly varied and you'll find themThis is one of my favourite titles on PS3. Hideo Kojima has a sharp eye for details in games and one gets to appreciate this in MGS4. There is an insane level of detail given to everything from the menu, through the movie like cutscenes and to the gameplay itself. It is a unique experience on the PS3 and one you should not skip over. The environments are greatly varied and you'll find them a pleasure to see. Expand
  48. Nov 14, 2013
    This is the best franchise EVER MADE! If you havent play it yet, than you have to. I really love this game and all the series you really need to play this really great story and gameplay!
  49. Oct 19, 2013
    A masterpiece to say the least. Metal Gears Solid 4 presents one of the best cinematic stories ever told in gaming. It will stay in the hearts of many gamers out there forever. That being said, this game is really for those who have a strong knowledge of the other metal gear solid games. If you haven't played the other games you will be lost in this convoluted tale. The game's story isA masterpiece to say the least. Metal Gears Solid 4 presents one of the best cinematic stories ever told in gaming. It will stay in the hearts of many gamers out there forever. That being said, this game is really for those who have a strong knowledge of the other metal gear solid games. If you haven't played the other games you will be lost in this convoluted tale. The game's story is really only at its best with the knowledge of the other games in the back of your head. The gameplay is great as well. Drebin points allow you to unlock an impressive array of weapons and other equipment. The Boss battles are also very well crafted; frantic, fun and keeps you on your feet (Not to mention they are sexy as hell near the end of each battle). A great game that balances true cover based gunplay with awesome stealth options as well. Guns blazing or keep it stealthy. Either way, they gameplay is amazing

One of the best stories in gaming and some really engaging gameplay MGS 4 should be a must play game for any gamer who wants a truly immersive and masterful experience.
  50. Oct 18, 2013
    Im sorry. i tried to liked this game. but i cant
    its horrible.
    i missed the stealth gameplay
    Metal gear solid is "TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION"
    NOT A "FUTURE WARFARE ACTION"
    the bosses aren deep
    the dialogs are so stupid
    and the plot is very absurd.
    kojima what did you smoke? you spent.
    this games is overrated just for being a ps3 exclusive
    and the last game of the story
  51. Sep 8, 2013
    Simply one of the absolute greatest games I have ever played. Instead of telling you what's GREAT about it because you can read any of the good reviews to know that, I'm going to tackle the criticisms.

Cutscenes The total length of time for the cutscenes clocks in at about 9.5 hours. That seemed a lot to me at first, but the scenes are so well done that if you are a fan of the series then you won't care.

Graphics They're fantastic, especially for 2008's standards.

Story I thought MGS2 was a bit convoluted, but this one was pretty easy to follow.

Gameplay This one I didn't get. I played the game the way it should be played (Stealthily) and I thought there was plenty of gameplay. I also like exploring and acquiring items. If you just Rambo your way through the game then yeah, it's gonna feel light on gameplay, but these games aren't SUPPOSED to be played that way.

With that said, I understand these games aren't for everyone, and I wouldn't suggest this to anyone who hasn't played any of the other games. It does, however, deserve a 10 in my opinion.
  52. Sep 7, 2013
    Hideo Kojima does it again. This game is a true masterpiece, and I don't say this lightly.
    If you are a fan of The Metal Gear Solid franchise you know what I mean when I say that most games directed by Hideo Kojima feels like an interactive movie and this one is not the exception.

The graphics were at the top the gaming industry when this game came out and I can say it's still better than most games that have been recently released.
    The story is so well written and has even an underline philosophical profoundness to it, every scene is beautifully thought of.
    Character wise this game is amazing, a LOT of characters from previous MGS titles return, and like always even the villains are so perfectly created that you seem to empathise with them to some degree.

Solid Snake (Probably one of my favorite vg characters of all time) is back for what seems to be his last adventure, and in the end everything finishes on a perfect note.

Cant wait for the next instalment of Metal Gear Solid. In the meantime, if you haven't played this game I highly recommend you pick it up, and if you haven't played any of the MGS games and want to check out the MGS Legacy Collection for PS3.
  53. Aug 29, 2013
    Japanese games never impresses anyone. All this stupid anime cliche's are just too stupid to be taken seriously. Reading a porno mag regenerates your life? (Really Kojima? REALLY) And again back to the stupid hide in the box nonsense. Yeah the gameplay, graphics, and stroy are great, but let's face it. I respect MGS to be the godfather f the stealth genre, but seriously people wantsJapanese games never impresses anyone. All this stupid anime cliche's are just too stupid to be taken seriously. Reading a porno mag regenerates your life? (Really Kojima? REALLY) And again back to the stupid hide in the box nonsense. Yeah the gameplay, graphics, and stroy are great, but let's face it. I respect MGS to be the godfather f the stealth genre, but seriously people wants realistic stealth nowadays. Hiding in a box is just too childish. Expand
  54. Aug 26, 2013
    This game is a legend in it's own right. Hideo Kojima did an amazing job for this game and it is a thrilling conclusion to Solid Snake. The game is truly breathtaking. The visuals are some of the best on the system and the splatter effects are quite well implemented. Environments are fantastic. All are well detailed and just a pure joy to explore. Sound is also used very well, you can hearThis game is a legend in it's own right. Hideo Kojima did an amazing job for this game and it is a thrilling conclusion to Solid Snake. The game is truly breathtaking. The visuals are some of the best on the system and the splatter effects are quite well implemented. Environments are fantastic. All are well detailed and just a pure joy to explore. Sound is also used very well, you can hear everything that is going on around you. Gameplay is great. Everything fits well. People may complain that it is a bit like a third-person shooter game, but there are many moments were stealth can and is implemented. The Drebin Shop system is a unique addition to the game. It is surprising about how well Kojima implemented it into the game. People may also complain about that. Here's an interesting bit of trivia, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. The game also carries over the stealth mechanics of camouflage from MGS3 and it works well with the game. Another new addition is the Psyche Gauge. It works much like the stamina gauge from MGS3, but this gauge is affected by stress that Solid Snake feels in the game, such as when he is being chased by guards or in an intense firefight. To replenish it, one must find a place to hide and wait for Snake's stress to lower so that the Psyche can recover. It's well used and it makes sense, after all, Snake is old. Controls are really tight. It works really well. The soundtrack is great. The orchestral scores are easily some of the best in the series. Boss battles are incredibly memorable and are some of the best. The last fight, is easily the best in the series. Lastly, the story is amazing. People complain about the long cutscenes, but you can pause it. The cutscenes are paint easily the most fantastic story in all of gaming. And people complain about how the story is unlikely. That is not true. The Patriots is a secret society, and our world is full of them. War is a present theme of the story, and it's foretelling a war economy which our world seems to be going towards slowly. As for the nanomachines, well, it is entirely possible. The story is beautiful, yet bleak and completely possible. The story is sad because all throughout it, people who are close to Snake die and soldiers on because he knows that unless he beats Liquid, all their deaths would be in vain. The story is the best part, and anyone who says otherwise are ignorant and don't understand Kojima's vision. It's so easy to talk about everything about this game. In total this game is perfect. 10/10. This game is worth any price, and it is a pure joy to play Expand
  55. Aug 21, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is just a masterpiece! Hideo did it again, he manage to create another MGS better and better than the last. but every MGS are beyond expectation, there's nothing not to love in the franchise. it got everything. It's really complex, but that's the way we love MGS.
  56. Jul 19, 2013
    I have played Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and they are amazing, epic and both have epic stories and gameplay but i can't just compare them to Metal Gear Solid 4. This game is E.P.I.C. The cut screens may be huge but they are important to the story. Everything is perfect in this game, the characters, the gameplay, THE SONGS (Epic soundtrack). A huge amount of emotions is presentI have played Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and they are amazing, epic and both have epic stories and gameplay but i can't just compare them to Metal Gear Solid 4. This game is E.P.I.C. The cut screens may be huge but they are important to the story. Everything is perfect in this game, the characters, the gameplay, THE SONGS (Epic soundtrack). A huge amount of emotions is present in this game from the beginning to the end, this game won't disappoint long therm fans or newcomers. One of the best action/ stealth game ever and one of the best PS3 games. I could tell you 100 more things that make this game perfect, but i will just tell you the top reasons:
    1. Epic story.
    2. Great (Boss) fights.
    3. Epic soundtrack (the main menu music is so good).
    4. Great gameplay, great weapons and gadgets.
    5. Great war atmosphere.
    6. Great cut screens.
    7. Epic ending.
    8. I don't know if i forgot anything but i think that are the most important reasons.

I like Konami games, especially Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill but this is my favorite Konami game.
  57. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The good:Graphics,Music,Story,Old Snake pessimistic,Ocelot., last boss fight with ocelot.
    Bad:Ending Naomi,Otacon,Sunny.Places,Big Boss,Big mama,patriots.
    First of all im a big mgs fan my childhood hero was Solid Snake but:
    Ending was pretty bad because if i recall that wasn't supposed to be the original ending,the original ending was when snake and otacon die by pentagon that would be much,much better what mr kojima wanted,But he's staff members ruined this game this is pretty shame and sad the last game whit solid snake is ruined,All that thing otacon and snake done in mgs2 timeline (terrorism,hacking) was forgotten by pentagon?
    Naomi is a irritating character in this game just like otacon was, otacon was baddass back of MGS1 and MGS2 is now totally gone he is pretty different character.Sunny ughh why japanese people love genius kids? its just irritating,Places was pretty bad except middle east,South America shadow moses.Why why bring big boss back to live and telling idiot things to snake? and big mama? just ridiculous,Patriots was mgs3 characters another ridiculous thing.Yeah snake was puting down the weapon and cigar forever and he don't need to smoke? just like that he changed after 10 minute? Im sorry to say this but this game is ruined its like a bad hollywood movie.
  58. Jun 28, 2013
    What an amazing conclusion to Old Snake's story. The gameplay may be smaller when compared to other games and in the opinion of gamers that are more gameplay than story. The story is unrealistic but when has a game had a vivid and realistic story. The story is the product of a genius and it is even more rewarding if you've played the entire series. While the gameplay may have been short itWhat an amazing conclusion to Old Snake's story. The gameplay may be smaller when compared to other games and in the opinion of gamers that are more gameplay than story. The story is unrealistic but when has a game had a vivid and realistic story. The story is the product of a genius and it is even more rewarding if you've played the entire series. While the gameplay may have been short it was still was enjoyable and ran smoothly. No game-breaking bugs or glitches actually I don't believe there were any glitches or bugs. Graphics are so good that even games today can hardly compare them. AI corresponds and adapts to your difficulty with BIG BOSS EXTREME being the most difficult. The only this game a 9/10 is because so many gamers dislike the cut scenes so I do to be fair. This is not a game for people who don't the time to enjoy the story because in the end the story is the supreme feature of this game. Conspiracies, check. Old Snake, check. Stealth and espionage, check. Guns, check. Camouflage, check. Greatest video game I've ever bought, triple check. Expand
  59. Jun 27, 2013
    Five years later this game still holds up as one of the best ever released on the console. Everything about it is perfect for fans of the title's previous releases. Yeah, there are a lot of cut scenes, but you know that's going to happen when you're walking into a MGS game. Bottom line, one of the best games ever made on any system.
  60. Jun 16, 2013
    Completed this game around 9 times, and believe me it does not get old, If you do buy this, remember you will be investing in a franchise because after completing this you will definalty be addicted and will probably spend tonnes of money paying for all the others.
  61. Jun 13, 2013
    What can I say?
    It was such a delight playing this superb game.
    It has everything that an art fan want to check on a piece of art. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the reason that i play video-games, it really can fill my need to trans-hip my mind, or meditate during the little time that I have with a controller in my life. Yes, you may say that the action is a little bit jammed or sticky, or
    What can I say?
    It was such a delight playing this superb game.

It has everything that an art fan want to check on a piece of art.
    Yes, you may say that the action is a little bit jammed or sticky, or the complexity of asian novels during the cutscenes is too high, or the battles of some super big robots reminds you asian animes or comics, well, that's just a small part that in nothing harms the game itself. Because the profundity of the story and characters is so immense and emotional that your ''judging mind'' will completely disappear.
    As the moral values and the nowadays problems who affects not just soldiers but ''us'' too.
    The perfections of a whole, make the imperfections perfections.
  62. Jun 11, 2013
    Kojima and Konami had the same vision as the fans as to what next generation console gaming should have been. Many had that vision, but very few could achieve it.
    MGS4 shows how incredible games would be today if developers still poured their hearts into their projects regardless of how long it took and didn't have to constantly give in to shareholders and publishers. The story, visuals, music, boss battles, controller mapping, everything in MGS4 was flawless. I wish more games were this complete.
    9.7
  63. Jun 9, 2013
    First metal gear solid game I ever played, I bought this in 2013 and think its good for a 2008 game as many games I own that are from 2008 no longer impress me. The game was difficult to play at first as I progressed through the first mission but I eventually got the hang of it before I reached the end of that first mission. There is a lot of options while trying to be stealthy and I meanFirst metal gear solid game I ever played, I bought this in 2013 and think its good for a 2008 game as many games I own that are from 2008 no longer impress me. The game was difficult to play at first as I progressed through the first mission but I eventually got the hang of it before I reached the end of that first mission. There is a lot of options while trying to be stealthy and I mean a lot which makes missions more fun.
    The cut scenes are very long and even the shortest of them go on for a few minutes but the cinematic's are interesting even if I did not get it at first i eventually understood what was happening. If your into games that give you a load of options I recommend trying it.
  64. May 16, 2013
    It truly boggles my mind how many positive reviews there are for this epic piece of garbage. Playing through MSG4 is an exercise in frustration and a true revelation in just how much senseless melodramatic pieces of cutscenes a game maker can cram into a Blu-Ray and still have the thing called a game.

The entire story is nonsensical. A monkey with a crayon and a 8.5x11 piece of paper can write a more coherent plot than the writer of this game. The dialog is horrible. Characters make all kinds of guttural sounds, hums, haws, and grunts continuously for no reason.

The game play, what little there is sprinkled through the vast hours of retarded cinematic CGI, is boring as hell.
  65. May 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ending of a great man, solid snake. I always liked the solid snake more than big boss so this might be the best, epic, last solid snake appearing game in the series. Bosses are a bit lame, and some conversions are a bit long (especially on the plane and briefing scenes). Expand
  66. Apr 29, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots is very much into its own self importance. This does not really feel like a game but more an interactive movie. Out of the 22 hours to complete the game, I only spent 7 hours actually moving. I know this because at the end of the game there are stats of how long you spend prone, crouching and walking etc. The action in the game is very much whatMetal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots is very much into its own self importance. This does not really feel like a game but more an interactive movie. Out of the 22 hours to complete the game, I only spent 7 hours actually moving. I know this because at the end of the game there are stats of how long you spend prone, crouching and walking etc. The action in the game is very much what Metal Gear fans like with the classic formula still intact. Its just a shame that these are broken up by LONG video sequences that CANNOT be skipped. One scene i had to watch two or three times at 20 minutes each because I died. It was just painful. There is one really genius moment which fans of the original will spot and hopefully enjoy as much as I did.
    I cannot say this game is bad because it wasn't. But the story really took over what is meant to be a game. At times I began to really switch off to the story just because it felt like my life was being sucked away from the LONG LONG backwards and forwards conversations throughout the game.
    The serious serious fans of the series are likely to not have a bad word to say but if like me you just want to play a game then this just goes on for far to long. Playing only one third of a game does not sound right does it?
    I had such hopes of this game and its the reason i brought a PS3, but it left me very disappointed.
  67. Apr 21, 2013
    I have played through this game twice and cannot find an enjoyable moment in the whole thing. The cut-scenes drag-out its length, without them i'm not sure there is even a game here. As someone whose followed metal gear solid since the start and has enjoyed them all a great deal until this point, i am very disappointed. 4 for effort?
  68. Apr 19, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the metal gear series and mgs 4 is one of if not the best one yet. the game is well polished and i find it hard to criticise it. if i had to say one bad thing about the game it would be that the game can sometimes seem to be more cutscenes than gameplay but if you are a long time fan of the series you will be used to this and it will be but a minor problem. overallI am a huge fan of the metal gear series and mgs 4 is one of if not the best one yet. the game is well polished and i find it hard to criticise it. if i had to say one bad thing about the game it would be that the game can sometimes seem to be more cutscenes than gameplay but if you are a long time fan of the series you will be used to this and it will be but a minor problem. overall kojima continues to deliver a high quality gaming experience with great gameplay, cutscenes and story telling Expand
  69. Apr 16, 2013
    I do see alot of positive comments on this game but mines not going to be that ways. I have like some of the previous MGS games but kinda grew out of it with the.... toooooo much talking and how unrealistic it is. The talking while in plain sight Im suprised none of them did not get headshotted by a sniper. When the villians do get the upper hand that dont go in for the kill but get theirsI do see alot of positive comments on this game but mines not going to be that ways. I have like some of the previous MGS games but kinda grew out of it with the.... toooooo much talking and how unrealistic it is. The talking while in plain sight Im suprised none of them did not get headshotted by a sniper. When the villians do get the upper hand that dont go in for the kill but get theirs in the end. Stopped playing after Raiden(YOU TOOK THAT FROM MORTAL KOMBAT!!!) STOPPED this HUGE ship from crushing Snake..... almost like a roach stopping a door from closing.... The hell is up with that black guy!!! He knows toooo much info on these chicks that try to kill snake kinda like he was there. I did not play the online though so if it is good then I missed out but the game...... eh I just gave it to a friend free. Sorry done with it Expand
  70. Apr 9, 2013
    It was so sad to see the end of this game since I wanted to continue it still for hours and hours! The perfect end for a perfect game! The only one not perfect thing could be just found in the cut-scenes lenght which I really enjoied but I admit that I heard a lot of complains about this.
  71. Apr 6, 2013
    if not the best PS3 game ever created the series should have stayed PS3 exclusive now the series kinda sucks all they are making are prequels MGS4 is the perfect conclusion to the metal gear saga i dont want any prequels or sequels that will mess up this master piece cuz doing that is only messing up the series further more Kojima please cancel MGS V
  72. Apr 1, 2013
    An amazing game. A must have for everyone. The cut scenes are damn long and give the game that cinematic feeling. The controls are changed to be more like modern shooters like Uncharted or Gears of War. It even put in a cover system (Well kind of. It was more meant to press against walls for stealth, but it can act as cover.) Just to tell you, there is less gameplay in MGS4 than theAn amazing game. A must have for everyone. The cut scenes are damn long and give the game that cinematic feeling. The controls are changed to be more like modern shooters like Uncharted or Gears of War. It even put in a cover system (Well kind of. It was more meant to press against walls for stealth, but it can act as cover.) Just to tell you, there is less gameplay in MGS4 than the others. One thing good about the cut scenes is you can pause them. It's highly recommended that you play the previous games or at least know the previous game's stories as the game makes references from the old games and use them for story elements. Especially characters. There are a lot of weapons and items, but a lot of them are lethal which is a little odd to me. The game also seems to like to use psychology from time to time. This is seen in characters, as a gameplay element, and some story elements. Unfortunately, Metal Gear Online as been shut down so don't expect seeing it. Overall this is the best game in terms of stealth (screw you Assassin's Creed.) I would give this game a 100. But I can't. That sucks. Expand
  73. Apr 1, 2013
    Unbelievable. If you've ever wanted to and cum in your pants at the same time, play this game. It tops Snake Eater and Sons of Liberty. The story is better than most movies, TV shows or whatever
  74. Mar 27, 2013
    The final act of Solid Snake is here, a perfect ending for his story.

PROS: Plot, Graphics, design, music, voices, gameplay, online... As usual, mostly. CONS: Only fans of the saga will enjoy completely the plot of this game. The story is very intricate and complicated, so if this is your first time with a MGS game... Is the easiest MGS, isn't too difficult like others games
    The final act of Solid Snake is here, a perfect ending for his story.

PROS:

Plot, Graphics, design, music, voices, gameplay, online... As usual, mostly.

CONS:

Only fans of the saga will enjoy completely the plot of this game. The story is very intricate and complicated, so if this is your first time with a MGS game... Is the easiest MGS, isn't too difficult like others games in the saga because we have more options and helps in our mission.

Install each act.
  75. Mar 26, 2013
    Metal gear solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the greatest game I have ever played. Plain and simple. Incredible breathtaking story with a completely new control scheme that offers some of the most innovative stealth mechanics to date. A pure masterpiece all the way to its core. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this game. It's as perfect as a video game could possibly get.
  76. Mar 21, 2013
    Im going to begin with saying: I didnt consider MGS4 a game at all, It wasnt close to being a game. What it was however was a cinematic experience that got me Crying, Laughing and even getting angry because of the characters expressions and voices.

Its an amazing interactive movie, But it sure as hell isnt a full on game So everyone looking for alot of intense gameplay, dont turn this

Its an amazing interactive movie, But it sure as hell isnt a full on game
    So everyone looking for alot of intense gameplay, dont turn this way.
    For everyone who enjoys a good story however i highly recommend this game.

PS: Reason it was pushed down to an 8 was because of a thing in the end game, Dont worry it doesnt really concern the story, it was just incredibly tedious is all.
  77. Mar 20, 2013
    This is my favourite game of all time so I'm probably a little biased towards MGS4. Kojima managed to make one of the greatest sequels ever made which became my favourite game of this generation in the years to come. I'll admit it took a few years for me to actually appreciate the game after playing all of it's predecessor's in the HD collection which is one of the best HD collections outThis is my favourite game of all time so I'm probably a little biased towards MGS4. Kojima managed to make one of the greatest sequels ever made which became my favourite game of this generation in the years to come. I'll admit it took a few years for me to actually appreciate the game after playing all of it's predecessor's in the HD collection which is one of the best HD collections out there at the moment, once I had played through Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater and Peace Walker I returned to Guns of the Patriots. Once completing the game I realised how much I actually appreciated the game, it's amazing story, awesome gameplay, outstanding visuals and those cut-scenes, oh man I love the cut-scenes. The emotional connection I had with the game once the credit's ended, I felt happy and sad at the same time. I won't spoil anything because of the level of perfection in the game but if you want to play it, I recommend that you play MGS1 3 and Peace Walker first to get the full benefit of the game, It's Metal Gear Solid 4: Gun's of the Patriots! Expand
  78. Mar 15, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a very enjoyable stealth game with an interesting story and characters, some may complain that the cut-scenes are too excessive as they pop up so often and last long, but if you don't mind that then you will find a gripping experience unlike anything else on the PS3, It's a tricky game to score since it really depends on if you are going to beMetal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a very enjoyable stealth game with an interesting story and characters, some may complain that the cut-scenes are too excessive as they pop up so often and last long, but if you don't mind that then you will find a gripping experience unlike anything else on the PS3, It's a tricky game to score since it really depends on if you are going to be bothered by long cut-scenes or not. If you don't mind then this game is definitely worth picking up, but if you don't want your gameplay to be interrupted very frequently then you may be better off picking up something else, nonetheless this is one of the best games on the PS3. Expand
  79. Mar 9, 2013
    This game is overhyped. The story becomes ridicilious with all the Nano things, the bosses are boring and you do watch more than play, which is a big failure if you thinking about, that this actually is a game. Its big fan service with things like shadow moses included, has good graphics and also the gameplay is good but the things that i mention above just ruins a part of the game.
  80. Mar 7, 2013
    Big Boss:"This is good...Isn't it?"
    A Lazy review you say after all those years passed by?
    But i better be lazy or i'll run out of 5000 characters limit we're talking about an end of a solid sake saga right here it's a LONG story.
    Let's just say quality wise there's "No place to hideo!"
  81. nop
    Mar 3, 2013
    PS3 is worth buying for this single game. For me at least. Production values, quality of storytelling, character designs are top-notch. One must be warned though that every Metal Gear game contains many references to previous games in the series and you are losing a lot of fun if not playing them in correct order.
    As other reviewer said, this game is made for fans. Yes, it is over the
    As other reviewer said, this game is made for fans. Yes, it is over the top, story is extremely convoluted and only works if you are familiar with characters already. Yes, I admit that I didn't have patience for some stealth segments because I just wanted to see story unfold or get to next awesome boss battle. Yes, this is a game where story makes up for all the minor flaws and quirks in core gameplay.
    And those who complain about realism should just grow up. Yes, games are not real, get over it.
  82. Feb 26, 2013
    Um jogo OBRIGATÓRIO para quem for adiquirir um PS3: gráficos maravilhosos, história boa e temática, personagens memoráveis retornam. O final bastante decepicionante (mas nem chega perto do final de Mass Effect 3), mas a jogatina boa.
  83. Feb 12, 2013
    I'm dumbfounded at how positive this game was received. This was not a good game. The storyline was complete and utter nonsense, and I dare anyone to trace back through the metal gear solid series and define a coherent plot throughout. I had loved this series initially, and really thought MGS3 was a great game, but this one just put the nail in the coffin for me. Some of the cutscenesI'm dumbfounded at how positive this game was received. This was not a good game. The storyline was complete and utter nonsense, and I dare anyone to trace back through the metal gear solid series and define a coherent plot throughout. I had loved this series initially, and really thought MGS3 was a great game, but this one just put the nail in the coffin for me. Some of the cutscenes were so long and nonsensical that I literally was praying for them to end so I could get back to playing the game. The gameplay was good, but there just wasn't enough of it. Expand
  84. Feb 10, 2013
    On it's own, it's a great stealth game, but if you played the whole series it's even better. If you love the story of Big Boss, and his clones, you have to play this game. What you will get is one of the most satisfying endings of video game history ever.
  85. Feb 9, 2013
    This may just be the best ps3 game i have this is so amazing if anyone says the game sucks because there are too many cut scenes then they have not played any good games this game gave me 12+ hours of fun its just too bad konami stopped online mode before i could try it out.
  86. Jan 20, 2013
    One of the most touching games ever existed or to be exist. Totally worth your money spent on your ps3 system.
  87. Jan 19, 2013
    The story was great. It kept me interested but the final final cut scene really ticked me off in a lot of ways. Ninja Raiden was just a replacement for Grey Fox and he is still as annoying as ever. I was never a huge fan of Solid Snake, but this game actually manages to create an interesting story around him even if the revelations at the end ruin everything.

I love the game play. The

I love the game play. The controls are fantastic. While the early boss fights leave a lot to be desired, the last three are great. The new control system makes Boss fights much more natural and stealth much different. My only problems with the game play would be it being regularly interrupted by cutscenes and each act was shorter then the last. The environments are interesting, but you never get enough of any of them. The game looks great. Even today it's one of the most smooth looking games I've ever played. The returning roster of characters looks great in HD.

The music is just as good as the rest of the franchise, but I wasn't a huge fan of the credits song.

I'm not really sure that Replay value is there. Sure you can get more weapons and all the hidden tracks, but the story is really something that doesn't need replaying. It's good but nothing that is worth sitting through the long cut scenes again.

While in my opinion 3 and Peace Walker sit at the top of the pack, this is definitely the 3rd greatest game in the franchise.
  88. Jan 17, 2013
    It might have a lot cutscenes, but it's still very memorable gaming experiene. Great soundtrack, amazing voice acting and nice gameplay... And too bad people start with MGS4, they're always complaining for those cutscenes, but we all know that MGS is like a movie since 1998
  89. Jan 10, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4, in short is a very unique experience which for the most part is enjoyable. The main story took me around 20 hours to complete and delivered a satisfying ending. Handling missions the way the game intends you to is a rewarding feeling which requires a level of skill. The game doesn't hold your hand, which is great but would be even better if it's game play was perfect.Metal Gear Solid 4, in short is a very unique experience which for the most part is enjoyable. The main story took me around 20 hours to complete and delivered a satisfying ending. Handling missions the way the game intends you to is a rewarding feeling which requires a level of skill. The game doesn't hold your hand, which is great but would be even better if it's game play was perfect. Even when mastering the game's controls it would simply be a lie to say that it feels completely fluid. Although it's stealth and shooting mechanics are a major improvement on previous main titles there are times when the game feels sloppy and unresponsive. Visually the game is stunning but other than the 'Old Snake' start menu theme the soundtrack never really stuck out for me. Metal Gear Solid 4 has quite the complicated story line, and it's told through hours of cut scenes. This isn't entirely a bad thing though, as the story they tell is quite interesting. You grow to appreciate the games characters and you understand their relationships with each other as well as their importance to the MGS universe. Unfortunately it's hard to ignore the fact that they are lengthy and at times a chore to sit through. Although some of the action cut scenes were top notch, a handful of story driven ones felt like they could have been reasonably shorter. Boss battles were undeniably the highlight as they were both fun and engaging in a way that makes them very memorable. Although it's hard for me to agree with the countless amount of people who have given this game a 10/10, it does a lot right and is worthy of a 8. Expand
  90. Dec 28, 2012
    It's a 10 from me. No explanation needed as it's Metal Gear Solid...But i shall digress...Kojima, you beautiful man you! Graphics are top class, even 4 years later...The story is phenom - enal! Plenty of twists and turns, a few nostalgic moments and an emotional rollercoaster that sometimes surpasses what some hollywood films can produce. If you own a PS3 but not this game, you're a penis.
  91. Dec 17, 2012
    Calling this a "game" is false advertising. It's a movie, and a bad one at that. The storytelling is nonsensical. Load times are bad. Every now and then they interrupt the movie with some occasional gameplay. The ratings for this one are proof that if you throw enough shiny and PR budget at something, you can convince the critics to like it.
  92. Nov 28, 2012
    I can't describe this amazing game, i just started playing it again, this game is one of the best games i have ever played, if you think this game is any less than a 9 then sorry to say, but you have a bad taste in games, this game is almost perfect imo, scratch that, it IS perfect.
  93. Nov 28, 2012
    I never playey any Metal Gear before and i was disappointed in this Game. The Action Sequences and the Graphics are great, but most of the Time you are watching endless cutescenes. The Epilog lasts over 1,5h!!! Thats not the right way, to tell a story.
  94. Nov 21, 2012
    Although I love the MG series and characters, I
  95. Nov 13, 2012
    it's hard to describe a game like metal gear solid 4. i have to admit, i'm no big fan of the 'shooter' genre, actually i often get tired of most of those games after some hours playing. but like ME2, MGS4 is so much more than just another Cod (for instance). The characters, story, emotions....are simply not of this world. don't miss this game at all costs!
  96. Nov 2, 2012
    I couldn't stand this game for several reasons: Really cringeworthy writing (way to go Hideo Kajima).
    Pretentious and boring long cutscenes.
    Fart jokes and generally bad humor. Poor gameplay design and variation. Killer robots saying "mmoooooo!" Stealth elements are not surprisingly just as weak as they have been since MGS1. Want a good stealth-action-adventure with a mature tone,
    Pretentious and boring long cutscenes.
    Fart jokes and generally bad humor.
    Poor gameplay design and variation.
    Killer robots saying "mmoooooo!"

Want a good stealth-action-adventure with a mature tone, I would recommend any of the Splinter Cell games over this any time of day. There's also Dishonored and any of the Hitman games.
  97. Oct 28, 2012
    It's a game. Yes it is but it feels much more than that. You immediatly get in the storyline which you have to pay attention and be familiarized with the MGS universe. The action feels absolutely brilliant and sometimes you forget you're playing a game but living an experience. That's MGS 4.
  98. Oct 24, 2012
    I thought I would re-rewrite some of my reviews,I reviewed this game a really long time ago but anyway. I can understand how some people gave this game a low score. This game however doesn't deserve a 0. The game IS a stealth game and there are some parts of the game that are not stealth at all, it's just that Kojima wanted to mix it up a bit and give options. I didn't mind the cutscenes II thought I would re-rewrite some of my reviews,I reviewed this game a really long time ago but anyway. I can understand how some people gave this game a low score. This game however doesn't deserve a 0. The game IS a stealth game and there are some parts of the game that are not stealth at all, it's just that Kojima wanted to mix it up a bit and give options. I didn't mind the cutscenes I thought they were cool, however the mission briefing videos were infact boring and I had a hard time keeping my eyes open aswell. They tried to fill the whole 50GB blu ray disc. The game itself is about the same length of MGS 3. The game itself does not deserve a 10. But the people that say the graphics are horrible...I don't understand that one. The Graphics are quite nice actually, when bullets hit the ground debris will be seen, even games toda in 2012 do not have that. People complaining about toilet humour but say that they LOVEEE MGS 1? Hmm I guess you do not remember the toilet humour in that game... Yes I do like MGS 3 better than this one,but I like the story. The people that are just coming into this game will not like it because they wont know what is going on. I agree that Kojima could of giving more of a Recap considering all the cutscene in this game are long as hell, they could of easily recapped the story for people... I find that they were really creative in this game, especially when Sunny is making breakfast and the eggs are kind of fortune telling. A lot of people didn't catch that..... I did and I thought it was cool. I didn't like how they didn't tell you if Snake died, the whole point of this game was story, and we DID get a big long story but we didn't get the answers or closure to the most important parts of the story. They should of handled the story differently. I also thought that the gun IDS were cool but at the same time lame. Also I thought Drebin was a stupid character that just follows snake around to sell him stuff. My main gripe about this game were the bosses. They were fun and all in some aspect but the characters didn't interest me, except liquid. I thought it was amazing how at the end of the game you fight "liquid" ontop of the ship with fists, just like in the first MGS when you fight liquid ontop of Metal Gear,it's kind of like "the final fight" and it was very well done. People that complain about how it was too "japanese" give me a break, do you guys seriously only want to play generic games that are all the same? The controls are okay, but I find that the controls in MGS 3 were a touch better. Here's a break down.

Graphics- 8
    Gameplay- 8
    Fun- 9
    Replay Value - 7

As I give the game itself an "8" the experience is a 10
  99. Oct 23, 2012
    Need I say more about this game other than it being a complete masterpiece? Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is one of the few games that have a truly cinematic experience that works equally with the gameplay.

Too many games nowadays take the cinematics for granted and they start to lose their charm when abused. When done right with games like Uncharted, Zelda, Mass Effect or Metal Gear Solid, the games are just absolutely gorgeous and are visual and playable treats.

Solid Snake, even as an old guy, is still a badass.

This was the first MGS game I ever played, and it is still the best, followed closely by MGS3.
  100. Oct 22, 2012
    A masterpiece and brilliance that is Hideo Kojima, and the endless heroism that is Solid Snake. The Best game ever created an all platforms, the story is oscar worthy if ever this game goes to the silver screens i truly hope that it will some day

1. Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.