8.2

1. May 14, 2013
    Ive been waiting for this game for quite a while and I'm glad to say it's what I hoped it would be.First of all its not going to be everyone's cup of tea,it's quite linear shooter but it delivers.I love atmospheric first person shooters that draw you in such as bioshock and FEAR and this was a great addition to the genre.
  2. May 14, 2013
    A HUGE improvement over Metro 2033 back in 2010. Almost all of the negative aspects of that game have been fixed here. Mainly the stealth and shooting mechanics. Superb atmosphere that immerses you completely, with tons of creepy noises and stunning sights. The shooting actually feels great now and can compete with the best FPS's out there. The story is also interesting. DO NOT listen to the people that rate it 1's 2's and 3's etc bashing the game. They are talking complete nonsense. Most of these negative reviews will no doubt come from the "angryjoe ranger mode DLC debacle" band wagon jumpers. That is not a reason to bash the game, at all, end of. The publishers are to blame. Expand
  3. May 16, 2013
    Amazing game. It makes me want to go and buy Metro 2033. Since this is my first game to play of the Metro series. The story is addicting, haha, I never want the campaign to end :D
  4. May 14, 2013
    Every once in a while, a little known developer pops up on the radar and delivers something GREAT '4A Games' is this type of developer. This game exceeds all expectations and rightly so, from the super fine polish, wonderfully detailed graphics (extra kudos here to the character modelers), truly beautiful environments, to the superb voice acting, impressive engaging & responsive game-play concepts and a story you would actually be interested in following; With little presence on the PS3 console, 4A Games delivers a breathtaking experience that you will not soon forget....that i guarantee. Expand
  5. May 20, 2013
    Bugs bugs bugs. And I'm not talking spiders. I'm in the middle of the game and suddenly the enemy soldiers stop moving. I walk up, they say, "must have heard something," but they don't move. You can't kill them, they're just statues. I try to restart the from the last checkpoint. Nothing. Reload the game, no change.

So I start the whole game over. I'm in the middle of the game
    AGAIN and I can no longer change my gas mask filter. Another completely different and crippling defect. My guy puts his arms down and just chokes to death. I get soldiers half in the walls. And the problems aren't ones you can ignore. These things have to function. And these kind of defects obviously can't be blamed on the graphics card or my system. It's apparent the game is broken.

Not that I care. The game sucks anyway. The AI is so incredibly bad. The acting is literally amateur quality. The story? Not in the least bit interesting. Even if the game worked, it's more like a movie than a game. And just a rehashed makeover of Metro 2033 at that. It's as though the designers didn't make a single improvement from the first game. There's no exploration at all. You have the main course and at most a room off to the side. There's no depth. And it's thq quicksilver's second try! Why do they keep trying to sell the same failed formula?

What a bummer this game is.
  6. May 19, 2013
    all the ingredient's in which a survival fps horror should be made of, savaging for ammo and filters while in fear of running out of air never knowing what threat is round each comer, you can tell that the developers worked a hell of a lot in creating an immersive atmosphere and it certainly paid off, although for the full experience I recommend playing in ranger without the hud
  7. Apr 23, 2014
    I am speechless... Had this game for quite some time waiting for me, almost hiding among a long list of games i own and haven't played yet. Three days ago i decided to play something new, still un-played from my library. I saw Metro: LL there, cover in dust, still in wraps... and i thought it was going to be another generic shooter. I hesitated... but what the hell, i payed money for this thing, lets give it a try.

Three days latter i finish the game. And as i stated above, i was left speechless. Thanks God i was wrong!

A shooter is a shooter. Aim, shoot, reload and repeat until you see the ending. If u get killed no problem, just hit continue and hit them harder. If u play by the formula, sooner or latter you are gonna see the credits rolling with the awesome felling you are a super-soldier because you went trough the game on the hardest difficulty. Bravo! You are awesome!

Well, things doesn't work that way In Metro: LL. That is why this game is not your everyday shooter. Hitting them harder will only get you killed. This game require a lucid mind that can stay sharp even when in danger. If you play this game in easy or normal difficulty, no problem, just keep your gun up and happy trigger anything that moves on your field of view. But... surviving this game on Hard or Ranger difficulty will truly put your skills to the test. And don't be confuse, i don't mean aim better, take less hits classic formula. I mean that you have to think on how to do the things before doing them or then you are gonna end dead no matter how well prepared is your arsenal.

Another great plus is the story. Yep, the story! The story is not perfect, but as a stand alone game is great, when compared to another shooter is a masterpiece. I was not expecting anything more than well implemented gameplay mechanics. But then again, i was wrong.

So, here is my verdict:

VISUALS: 9 (Texture pop-in kills the illusion some times.)
    GAMEPLAY: 10 (You will understand why a 10 when you ran out of mask-filters.)
    AUDIO: 10 (You can orientate and locate enemy fire by sound - given that you use surround 5.1.)
    STORY: 9 (You can always expect more... but is a well written/directed experience.)
    CONTROLS: 9 (For console controls are complex, you will make mistakes when in tension.)
    OVERALL PRESENTATION - QUALITY: 10 (Cant think of a way to improve game quality.)

I highly recommend this game for anyone looking for a shooter-survival experience. Do not forget to try Hard or Ranger mode, there is where the magic happens!
  8. May 14, 2013
    Really enjoying it so far. Good graphics and sounds. Good controls and weapons variety. Overall decent enemies except in a few places. Not as much like Fallout 3 as I had hoped. But still a solid game none the less.
  9. May 17, 2013
    Metro: Last Light is the stunning. breathtaking, heartbreaking and most importantly immersive sequel to Metro 2033 one of my favorite games of all time. I will say Metro is not for everyone, but for me, Its perfect.
  10. fua
    May 21, 2013
    This Game is buggy, the Graphics is not close as good as the Reviews promised, Ai is a laugh, Gameplay ether boring or annoying and so on. A waste of Time an Money!
  11. Jun 14, 2013
    If you're into Survival horror games Metro LL is the game you're looking for
    the atmosphere in the game totally immerses the player into the areas you go through
    it's different from the other First person shooters out there even though you have to pay for Ranger Mode by DLC. It's still great game and the game has nudity so don't let kids watch you play.
    Metro LL is worth picking up and
    i suggest you download Ranger Mode for a greater experience Expand
  12. Aug 19, 2013
    I played this game when it came out and i had not played metro 2033, expecting to not know what i was suppose to be doing or how the character ended up in the situation he was in but one of the good things about this game i found is that it helps to fill in the gaps by recapping back to metro 2033 for people who had just jumped strait in like i did. the overall game play i thought was very thrilling and fun, the creeping of the monsters and the reaction of the enemy npc's i thought where very well thought out and some of the best AI i have seen from a game in a long time. the characters of the game i thought where well thought out it seems like a lot of thought had gone into the backgrounds of the characters which you don't often find in many sequel games. the story of the game i think is rather interesting following the back story from metro 2033 it all comes together when the gaps are being filled in as you go on through your journey. the graphics of the game i think are really nice and well thought out environments adding to the ambiance of the game play which adds to the spooky atmosphere really well. overall i give this fps an 8/10 and would recommend it to anyone from a person new to fps games as its really interesting to an experienced fps player as it is very fun to play. Expand
  13. Jun 7, 2013
    It finally happened. A stealth game where the Action is PART of the stealth. There's a certain number of people in any situation, and they don't become hyper magically aware of you the moment you fire a shot. You kill a guy with night vision scope, but the guy next to him still doesn't know where you are, so he approaches the sound but you back off at the same time with him in your scope (because you are out of the light) and line up your shot and take it, the whole time remember which light bulbs you turned off so you don't end up in the light. Knowing that if you miss he might get close enough to see you. It sounds simple but no one has got this right. They advertise 'stealth or gun's a'blazing' but you left with one or the other. In this game, you can go gunz a'blazn WHILE performing stealth at the same time. I've being waiting 1,000,000 years for that. Oh, and the world is so immersive I have forgotten where I actually exist. The sleeper game of a lifetime. Expand
  14. Mar 8, 2014
    A definite improvement over it's predecessor. It manages to make up for all of the first's gameplay deficiencies while managing to keep the fantastic atmosphere, story, and setting going. Truth be told, thanks to the improvements made to the first's formula, this is exactly what one could ask for in regards to a sequel.

As with the first the setting and atmosphere are top-notch. The new
    graphical style does take out some of the creepy darkness the first game had, and the game isn't as scary as a whole, but this is still a world I was completely invested and absorbed in. It feels realistic and alive. The story is also fantastic, picking up after the events of the first game and introducing characters new and old. It's excellent and filled with plenty of memorable moments as well as twists and turns. These are the areas I was expecting "Last Light" to succeed, and it didn't let me down.

My main problems with the first game (which I enjoyed anyway) revolved around the gameplay. Thankfully the shooting and stealth are much better here. The shooting and shootouts are much more entertaining this time around, thanks to things like improved controls and enemy AI. Stealth also actually works this time around, and some of my favorite moments with this game involved me sneaking stealthily around enemies and avoiding combat. As someone who has never really enjoyed taking the stealthy approach, that's saying something for this game's improved stealth mechanics. Just like with the first game I still love the survival based gameplay. Scrounging for ammo and supplies, managing flashlight power, and keeping a check on my gas mask filters all return here and are still a blast. This game is an improvement upon all of the gameplay mechanics of the first game, making for a much more playable experience. Some truly irritating technical issues do plague the game, and some combat encounters can be incredibly frustrating thanks to mutant enemies with cheap melee attacks, but overall this is a tight, smooth, polished, and most importantly fun gameplay experience.

"Metro: Last Light" is an excellent game. One that proves that FPS games can replace an emphasis on multiplayer with a lengthy, story-driven campaign and still be highly replayable and worth a purchase. It also proves that just because a first game was flawed, doesn't mean it's sequel will repeat the same mistakes. "Last Light" is a refreshing, atmospheric, and highly enjoyable FPS that I highly recommend you give a shot.
  15. Jun 13, 2013
    Game environment and story are huge elements for enjoying a game for me, and I find the world of Metro Last Light to be incredible and the story engaging... the attention to detail in a post-apocalyptic underground metro is gloomy yet alive and vibrant seemingly what could be so close to reality at times... and the bombed-out Moscow on the surface is ghostly and frightening. I really enjoyed the total immersion of the Ranger Mode/Hardcore mode... Most mild of critical comment is that the NPC AI could have been better at times, I have really enjoyed this game and see it raising the bar for any Fallout 4 effort to get beyond the same'ol found in New Vegas. Thanks to the folks at THQ and 4A for the effort to create a great environment. I will look forward to the story related DLC, but will likely skip the multi-player. A game I found driven by the mood of the environment and story doesn't seem much suited for an MP experience and would only take away from the whole experience for me. Expand
  16. Jul 22, 2013
    A very nice, well crafted game. Since it's part Bioshock, part Call of Duty, it'll please a wide range of gamers. The graphics are gorgeous at times and dark (almost scary) at some points, making this a very atmospheric game. It also has a haunting scenario, where you need to survive all sorts of threats in post-apocalyptic Russia (from bandits, to mutants, to Nazis). I wanted more depth, though, because most of the time I was more worried about life and ammo than anything else, so in a way the CoD part speaks louder here. But it deserves a look if you are interested even the slightest. Expand
  17. Feb 13, 2014
    Metro: Last Light is a game with lots of atmosphere, with some fun shooting put in. It doesn't do anything excellent, but does allot okay. Graphics wise, it tries to put so much on the screen, that it looks very bland. Nothing really stands out in it, but its really gritty.
  18. Jun 4, 2013
    I've been waiting for this game for some time and generally I was impressed. It started off really strong but from about half way through I think it lost some steam and the ending was probably the worst I've played in a game for a very long time. There are some glaring technical issues that are very frustrating, and annoying "swarm" sections of the game that when combined with technical issues made me want to jump out of a closed window (they were very effing annoying). The graphics were great, the sound was pretty ordinary and the level design was fantastic. I was particularly impressed with the underground town, it was really quite immersive. Character animation was a bit of a joke and the game wasn't really scary –but at the end of the day I loved it 8/10. Expand
  19. May 17, 2013
    Currently half way through and it's been a blast so far. Story is simple yet solid. The game-play is different to other adventure shooters but still feels familiar to pick up and master. Graphics are what's expected on a console, nothing revolutionary but then again i find myself gazing at walls and distant landscapes due to the pure effort that's gone into them. The voice-acting is perfectly fine and the music, while not over-empowering still adds to the overall atmosphere of the game.

If i had to pick an issue with this game it would ultimately be about the creature design, they could have spent a little more time refining and ironing out the creases when it comes to that. Everything else about this game is fantastic though!

Another game to add to my collection.
  20. May 26, 2013
    Metro last light. i gave it a nine for daring too try something a bit different than most first person shooters and that is too actually create a believable world and interesting characters that as you meet them and listen too there stories you actually begin too care what happens too them and in the metro what happens is not usually good. as in a world set 20 years after nuclear war wiped every human being off the surface of the earth. and now people survive in concrete pockets in the underground metro if the monsters other humans do not get you the radiation will. The best way too play the game is in hardcore ranger mode with no h.u.d and little explanation of how things work its all trial and error getting killed while trying to change your gas mask filter is par for course in last light. As is getting attacked by spiders because you did not know how to charge up your flashlight or use the night vision goggles. If you prefer on normal the hud will show you how to use everything but its definitely a more real experience in ranger mode. Metro plays better as a stealth game creeping round silently knocking out or killing guards before walking past other guards in the shadows listening to the conversations. Metro last light is a grim post nuclear apocalyptic story for mature players. Hardcore gamers will love this game. Expand
  21. Feb 7, 2014
    Metro: Last Light is one of the best games of 2013. It looks absolutely gorgeous. The world feels alive. I hope Metro: Last Light can pave the way for games in the future and teach them a thing or two about immersion. Not only is it one of the best titles of 2013, but it's arguably the most terrifying. Prepare to be scared.

Final Verdict: 9.3
  22. Aug 31, 2013
    Metro Last Light is heavily focused on a great story, great controls, and above average graphics. I wasn't expecting much from this game but it turned out to be one of my favorite games so far this year. I give it an 8 because in the beginning the story is slow, drawn out, and a bit boring. After about the two hour mark this game gets really good. Some people may be put off by the slow start. Its also very linear which may put off many FPS fans. I also felt limited with weapons until midway through the game, but overall I think this is much better than Bioshock Infinite just not as pretty. Give it a try. Expand
  23. May 20, 2013
    Really good game, I personally think it gets a bit worse towards the end storywise and there's less gameplay but it's still a great game, really good and fun sneaking around all the environments and knocking all the enemies out, definitely get
  24. Sep 1, 2013
    This is a very fun stealth/fps hybrid game. The story is good and the visuals are pretty decent for an aging console. The sound is decent but cuts in and out a little bit, and the weapons don't have very much pop. But overall a very satisfying game to play to completions. The game is short 10hrs. on hard but is worth a rent not a buy.
  25. May 2, 2014
    I couldn't get past the first 2 or 3 hours of this one. It looked pretty and all, but how many stealthy, cramped FPS with Nazis in them do we need anymore? I thought maybe there would be a creep factor to it, but sadly, there was none to be had in my time with it. I enjoyed the first one more in that respect, but the crappy gunplay and frustrating facemask sh*t ended my time with that one. Bummer, dude. Expand
  26. Feb 18, 2014
    I have to say, the first impressions of Metro: Last Light were incredibly pleasing. This FPS, like FarCry 3, gives you endless possibilities of going through the wonderfully designed levels, with its Metar Gear Solid-inspired gameplay that is just spot on.
    Half the game in, I started having problems. Not with the gameplay that is just excellent, but the way the game was developing
    itself.. The story started to take an unnecessary confusing turn, and the whole "shoot-em-up" linear thing started to being forced into the gameplay. Still, free with PS Plus and at amazing prices on retail stores and steam, Metro: Last Light is a game you want to play.
    The story of Artyom, a psychological-doubted man who has done pretty nasty things to save the Metro, where the citizens of Moscow live after a devastating nuclear war, starts off well. He is responsible for the extinction of the Dark Ones, a species that once, when he was young, saved him from the horrible mutated creatures above. With one last Dark One alive and a war surging in the Metro, Artyom starts asking himself some really serious moral questions, and goes on a journey in and out the Metro to discover them.
    It is a much more developed plot that its predecessor, Metro 2033. Still, after some time, the narration gets so complex (in a bad way) the story disappears into a bunch of greatly executed levels and missions, that are poorly written, and an anticlimatic ending that is just plain and disappointing. And the Voice Acting isn't the best either. The rather boring dialogue is played by voice actors who have a pretty strange russian accent. They all sound like the most twisted and perverted human being ever (Maybe it's my prejudice as so many hollywood movies spoiled me with russian villains). But I have seen Russian stuff that was better acted that the crap in this. There are parts I just bursted into laughs.
    The visuals are shockingly amazing. Exploring the Metro, its hopeless environments, are one of the greater things about Metro: Last Light. This environments, though linear, are incredibly detailed and extensive. Hearing the citizens talk about the outside or how they live in the pretty ugly places is just amazing. The textures are crisp, the volumetrical lightning is some of the best in the current-gen right now. I am truly impressed by how it looked on the PS3, and I can barely imagine it on the PC.
    Metro: Last Light is also a scary game, with a tense atmosphere and a sheer amount of enemies that don't mind overwhelming you quickly. It is a challenging game, and the bosses are just as rewarding. So, Metro: Last Light's gameplay and visuals, though flawed storyline, offers an experience few games can deliver. Fear, fun and excitement, Metro: Last Light is full of surprises.
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    I know a lot of people like this game and I can understand why. It was just not my cup of tea. It has a good atmosphere good controls and good graphics but something is missing for me, I do not know what it is but something always felt missing in this game. This game probably deserves a higher score than 7 but the experience I had with the game was a 7 and I will not lie and put it any higher, just my opinion.. Expand
  28. Sep 25, 2013
    Good first person shooters are rare lately, some of the stealth sections rival TLOU, and the metro has so much character. The gas mask countdown doesn't work for me though, and it feels rushed and is way too short for the money. However except from the usual military Sims it's all we got.
  29. Mar 2, 2014
    I'm not enjoying this game and find I have to push myself just to give it another chance. It seems like it has potential, but I got bored fairly early in the game. The story is alright ... nothing amazing. The weapons are okay, but they're not a lot of fun. The dumb and buggy AI ruins the experience for me; they just make the firefights boring. The stealth is not well done. You can creep up next to an enemy without them sensing you, and then stabbing them looks very unrealistic.
    Like I said, the game has good potential, but these issues I mentioned ruin the experience for me.

1. Even though Metro: Last Light successfully convinces you that you are actually wandering around in a post-apocalyptic Moscow, a number of technical issues do break the carefully constructed illusion from time to time. [June 2013, p.66]
  2. Jun 9, 2013
    A more coherent and compelling story than the first marred by an occasional lack of direction. [July 2013, p.66]
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    A really good experience. There’s enough here for fans of action, stealth and survival to enjoy. Though the series seems to have moved on from being scary the majority of the time, it does this progression in a way that feels natural.