7.4

1. Mar 7, 2012
    MLB 12: The Show is one of the best sports games ever made. San Diego studios has been pumping out the best baseball game on the market this console generation. I've personally owned every single one and its always the best 60 bucks i spend a year. This year however shows the effects of years of fine tuning. With an unprecedented broadcast presentation, graphics, and animations. MLB 12 is one of the best looking games ever. Player models are - mostly - spot on. The days of having a generic batting stance or pitching mechanics for several players is long gone. Each play oozes with detail and uniqueness. Anybody who has played these games the past couple years will notice a graphical advancement, while those putting on the cleats for the first time will be spending most of their time picking their jaws off the floor. But, once again, its what Sony has done under the hood that makes this game a true standout. The new ball physics are a huge leap forward in sports games. Each ball, hit, pitch...play carries its own spin. Where and how you hit the baseball affects the spin on the ball which in turn makes each hop, bounce and hit off the bat lifelike and completely unpredictable. Your games will keep you at the edge of your seat as the game forces each ounce of your attention. A showdown in the 9th inning with the game on the line in MLB 12 is an experience unlike no other for baseball fans. Your palms will sweat. Your heart will pound as the pitcher-batter duel is refined to perfection in The Show. All this and i haven't mentioned the all-new Diamond Dynasty mode, the best superstar creation in Road to the Show, cross-game suports for Vita and PS3, and reduced load times. This is an amazing game and a must-buy for any baseball fan! Expand
  2. Jun 20, 2012
    I've only played this game about 2 days and I had 09 The Show before this and let me say...this is a BIG update...and didn't do overboard though. It's really the same game play set (but that's of course it you choose Pulse or Pure Anolog) with the different presentation and that's not a bad thing. I haven't used pure anolog or Pulse or Move in the game...I just simply go with the meter pitching (as is was in 09 the game I had before) stats got a huge upgrade and you only really get joy outta that if your Joe Buck or something. The new animations are a very nice thing for this game and look really good... I really think the new parks(Marlins and twins) look great even if twins got their new place in 2010 It still is my first time playing in it. Road To The Show was ok but I played as a Starting pitcher...it seamed more relistic but it still had it's simple problems. In the end this game is amazing on visuals but with minor freezing issues (in start intro videos and when trying to upload my highlights on to my xmb screen) and frame rate issues that I didn't notice in 09 which can turn out to be a big let down...even more because I downloaded the 5 gigs on to my ps3 which i believe is a new thing but it takes about 30 minutes...all in all this is still a good outing at the ballpark Expand
  3. Mar 19, 2012
    Best baseball game to date. The move motion controllers are so much fun for pitching and batting. The fielding is a bit strange as you only have to time the ball goin in your glove. Overall awesome graphics, gameplay and new scenes that adpat to what's really going on. An absolute pleasure to play.
  4. Dec 5, 2012
    This franchise is still the route to go for fans of baseball. Be warned though: players who have never played an MLB: The Show game will probably be overwhelmed at first by the sheer number of features. However, if you have played even just one of the past iterations, this game is an absolute blast. Sure, online play is still laggy as hell, but that's a small complaint in regards to the finest game in one of the most consistently brilliant sports game franchises out there. Expand
  5. MFZ
    Mar 6, 2012
    Why I gave this game a 9: - Completely redone realistic ball physics - Improved graphics - New and improved animations from swinging the bat to throwing the ball - New front end that efficiently integrates online and offline modes - New and improved sound - Improved presentation that lends a very authentic feel to the flow of a game - Improved online This game keeps getting more realistic every year. SCEA is an awesome development team in my opinion. Expand
  6. Mar 7, 2012
    This game series is one of the reasons I made the switch from Xbox to PS3 many years ago. They keep making minor improvements while keeping the core game play the same. The presentation has really being reworked this year. Cut scenes in between pitches and after a play further enhances the realism. The new ball physics are also a welcome addition. Only gripe I have is every once in a while the game will "hiccup" and pause for a brief second in certain stadiums which affects the timing of a pitch, at bat or throw. It is random and doesn't happen often but still noticeable. Otherwise, baseball season has officially started with the release of this game! Expand
  7. Mar 7, 2012
    Good for the kids of San Diego Studios, have embroidery again this time with the physics of the ball almost perfect, everything is richly detailed, stadiums, uniforms of the players, the franchise mode is great, and also online. For me the best game of baseball and far exceeding MLB 2K12
  8. Mar 7, 2012
    This game is OUTSTANDING. Not perfect, but with realistic ball physics, more realistic sounds, better broadcasts (yes, all of which you can notice), this edition of The Show is the best baseball game of this console generation. The Diamond Dynasty mode is very cool. It has been compared to Ultimate Team, but trust me, it does it at least 5 times better. You can customize just about EVERYTHING about your team, from logo to uniforms to name. It is truly something you have never seen in any sports game before. It is also relatively easy to pick up. Play 5 games, re-evaluate your standings, and standings is what you ultimately play for, just like it should be. The Move controls are cool, they work well, but there is a definite learning curve associated with it, however, they do work intuitively. The only criticism I have of MLB 12: The Show is the still dodgy online, but rest assured, it has improved over MLB 11 noticeably. If you own a PS3, this is the baseball game to buy, hands down. Expand
  9. Mar 8, 2012
    I won't lie to you, MLB 12 is the exact same game from last year with minor tweaks and one new game mode. But that's not a bad thing really. MLB 12 is leaps and bounds ahead of MLB 2K12 in terms of just authenticity alone, even by repeating the same formula. Everything looks and feels great, the graphics and controls are still great, haven't found any glitches or bugs in the game. Season mode and Franchise mode are still as addicting as ever. I haven't tested out Diamond Dynasty mode just yet, but i'm sure it's just as addicting as the other modes. Expand
  10. Mar 8, 2012
    I've played The Series for years and somehow every year they pack in more features and improvements. I really want to see how Diamond Dynasty pans out. The ball physics and new animations are awesome. road to the show is still addicting and I do think online timing has improved. I have yet to check out the Franchise improvements, but on to that next.
  11. Mar 8, 2012
    The updates to last years iteration don't seem all that major at first, but the sum of the parts add up to be an awesome game. If you haven't owned The Show previously, this is the best version yet. Only the stale commentary holds this back from being an all-time masterpiece.
  12. Mar 9, 2012
    The first few years of MLB: The Show offered gamers an amazing product with a rareness not often seen in sports games. Unlike EA releases, The Show improved with each year and did not stagnate, rivaling the likes of the NBA 2K series. Fans started to get nervous in 2011 as it appeared SCEA was running out of fresh ideas. While MLB 12: The Show is not a completely new experience, it is not a complete rehash either and continues to appeal to the most dedicated fans.

THE GOOD:

GRAPHICS (8/10) - With a few new animations thrown in, little has been done to improve on this aspect. But it really does not matter. People joke that HDTV was created for Baseball and Golf specifically. It's not a joke anymore. Old or not, The Show is beautiful.

HOME RUN DERBY (8/10) - After this year's upgrade, I'm really not sure what else they could do with this game mode. A few new camera angles here, a little polish there, and a ball trail showing where your homers went after everything is said and done. Grab a few friends and enjoy.

DIAMOND DYNASTY (7/10) - This is a very new concept and you will find this game mode discussed in Good, Bad and Unproven perspectives for that very reason. It's too soon to tell how it will play out. But as it stands, it has immense potential. Tons of customization options for team logos and uniforms. The ability to train and customize Dynasty players alongside the option to hire MLB journeymen is a lot of fun, and makes it unique from EA's Ultimate Team formats.

SETTINGS CUSTOMIZATION (10/10) - My absolute favorite part of MLB 12. In the past, if you wanted to play with a plate coverage indicator, you HAD to be playing on Veteran difficulty. Likewise, if you wanted timing based hitting, you HAD to be on Rookie. MLB 12 not only allows you to mix and match settings, but it will accomodate your choices and try to match you with a similar opponent in Online play. Amazing!

CROSS PLATFORM (8/10) - I do not have much to say about this. It is a brand new feature. It's the Seventh Inning Stretch and you need to leave for work? No problem. Sync your Playstation Vita with your PS3 and finish your game on the run. Just please don't do it while you are driving.

THE UNPROVEN:

DIAMOND DYNASTY (7/10) - There are many things which may or may not work in this game mode. Like Ultimate Team, its success is contingient on players buying and selling cards. We've seen both good and bad here. In NHL and FIFA, the market is bustling. In MADDEN, the market is so dead they had to implement trading. Who knows what will happen.

CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK (Not Rated) - Yet to be activated. Looks interesting.

THE MIDDLE:

COMMENTARY (6/10) - A complete rehash from prior games. If there is a single line that has been added, I have yet to find it.

ROAD TO THE SHOW (7/10) - The only real change is that you are now a Double-A starter from the beginning of your career. This may reduce the time it takes to get to the Bigs, but overall, this change is underwhelming.

FRANCHISE (6/10) - Once again, no changes.

RIVALRY (7/10) - No changes, but I've always felt as if this was an underrated game mode. If you have a friend who loves ball as much as you do, it's not hard to spit out 15 head-to-head games. This format lets you do that competitively.

ONLINE PLAY (7/10) - Only change here is that Diamond Dynasty head-to-head games count for your online win-loss. TOO MANY GAME OPTIONS? - A personal pet peeve maybe, but it feels to me that they are changing the game mechanics too much. Guess pitch 1/4, 1/6, 1/8. Meter pitching. Analog hitting and pitching. Timing hitting and pitching. Zone hitting. And now Pulse Pitching? Pulse just feels unnecessary, and most diehards of the game stick to the classics. Guess Pitch 1/4, Meter Pitching and Zone Hitting all day baby.

The bad:
    KING OF THE DIAMOND, removed in 2010, has yet to return. The last remaining "arcade" piece to what is now a very "sim" game.

DIAMOND DYNASTY has no trading as SCEA admits they ran out of time to fit it in.

Also, one season in DIAMOND DYNASTY lasts five games. I hate, hate, hate this. When you play a head-to-head match, it only shows the current season. You are basically being misrepresented on the experience level of your opponent every single time.
  13. Mar 10, 2012
    This is a fantastic sports game! It is challenging but extremely fun, and has the most realistic graphics for a sports game ive ever seen. The controls are decent, and hitting a homerun with the camera angles feels like you truly did something special. Between Franchise, RTTS and Diamond Dynasty theres plenty to do. The Show blows 2K12 out of the water, and fokes its not even close. The show owns the baseball market, and Mlb 12 the show is the only example you need. Collapse
  14. Mar 11, 2012
    Another great baseball game by Sony San Diego but Diamond Dynasty is limited by the same online lag that's plagued past games. Presentation was nicely upgraded without being too much like just watching a game and the new Pulse Pitching control scheme is easy to learn and a fun challenge. The Show is full of minor advancements that really make a difference with immersion like correct base coaches and all minor league players wearing correct dual-flap protective helmets. Expand
  15. Mar 11, 2012
    This years edition of the show keeps the series long track record of an excellent baseball sim intact and adds enough new features to make it a worthwhile buy again this year. The new ball physics, improved broadcast presentation, new pulse pitching mode and improved lighting and shading make this year's edition stand out.

I was not a huge fan of pure analog pitching, I wasn't very good
    at it, but pulse pitching is a nice balance between the pitching being stat based and skill based. The idea that you can aim your analog swings is a feature I like. I felt last year that pure analog hitting was a bit too easy.

The game has a few shortcomings. I've seen a few too many ground rule doubles and comebackers hitting a pitchers. Outfield throws might be a bit too strong, I've heard reports of sharp hits to RF resulting in runners being thrown out at first. Stealing bags at least in RTTS mode seems to be a bit easier than last year. When you are baserunning in RTTS show mode I'm not a huge fan of the camera movement but it's not a huge deal.

One thing I want to comment on specifically is are the comments about the difficulty of hitting. There are no less than 4 hitting modes, five hitting difficulty levels, and a pitch speed slider with 10 notches. I find it hard to believe that all of the people complaining about the difficulty couldn't find some set of adjustments that make the game hittable for them.

If you are a baseball fan please do not be scared off by the reports of the difficulty, there are enough options here to make the game playable for a wide range of skill levels.
  16. Mar 12, 2012
    I own an Xbox and a PC so I have only had access to the MLB 2K series. (one of the worst series of games in video game history). So, I have spent numerous hours imagining all the ways I would like that game improved and about what I want out of a baseball game. The main thing I always wanted was a realistic and immersive experience. I borrowed a friends PS3 finally and played The Show. Wow! Most of the things I have been looking for, and dreaming of, in a baseball game are present. Amazing and realistic game play that actually challenges the player. Great physics engine. Incredible attention to detail all around. Great game modes. I can't put this game down! Expand
  17. Mar 18, 2012
    This game is absolutely beautiful. The game is by far the most graphically advanced show over the past years. The crowd has never look better and even some of the counters on the stadiums work (for example the bucco blasts at pnc count the amount of home runs hit in a franchise). The commentary is just about as good as last years model and it uses some of the same calls from the past years. However there are a few mixed things about the game. The game occasionally freezes a bit in-between pitches or swinging at pitches, but more importantly the game is extremely hard. Sometimes you can guess the pitch and the location with perfect contact and timing and ground out to second base, and other times you will hit a home run. The computer never ceases to amaze me sometimes where it will hit a fastball perfectly painted on the low outside corner out of the park like its nothing. And even the infamous 9th inning 4 run comeback that started to occur in last years model. While the computer winning games in franchise no matter what you do is frustrating i can not tell if i like it or not. In most sports games the ai is so bad you never really have to worry about losing games, but in the show its different where the computer will occasionally put up a really tough fight and eventually win the game. Ive noticed that these the two mixed user reviews are about this. If you want to go 162-0 in franchise then this game is not for you. But if you want an extremely accurate and fun sports game then you picked a winner because the show is by far one of the best sports games out there. Expand
  18. Mar 20, 2012
    t's that time of year again when you can comfortably walk outdoors, hang up the jackets, huff on pollen, and get locked up for weeks because of your allergies. The perfect game to pass the time? Well why not America's Pass Time, in an actual playable form, with MLB '12: The Show.

Continue reading on Examiner.com MLB 12: The Show Review - Greenville Video Games | Examiner.com
    http://www.examiner.com/video-games-in-greenville/mlb-12-the-show-review-review#ixzz1phfxxhDGhttp://www.examiner.com/video-games-in-greenville/mlb-12-the-show-review-review Expand
  19. Jun 4, 2012
    Year after year the best sports game out there, and this year is no exception. I can play for hours and not get bored, I prefer manager mode so I can control the team that way than actually playing, but I'm weird like that.
  20. Jun 25, 2012
    Possibly the best baseball game ever created! The hitting takes some getting used to, and you may have to adjust a few settings and sliders while you get used to the new physics engine, but once you do it'll be the best virtual baseball experience you have ever had. 10 / 10
  21. Jan 7, 2014
    best game for baseball fans hands down. The multiplayer is fun and challenging if you play the game the way it's meant to be played (there will always be some douchebag trying to gain the upperhand). home run derby online was fun, the franchise mode was ok (kind of broken if you sim through a season because top pitchers will get like 10-10 4.50 eras while nobodies who you call up will go 10-5 2.80 era. RTTS is good not much changed, but I mostly play this for the multiplayer challenge. Expand
  22. Jul 13, 2014
    Immersive, beautiful, realistic, and fun to play. The folks at San Diego Studios have done it again, they have raised the bar and made another amazing baseball game. You can play like a realistic game of baseball, arcadish, quick, or any other way you can dream up, this game has some great customizable game play options. The graphics are some of the best you will see on the PS3, the popular players of the MLB, look and play like they do in real life, and the stadiums are nothing like you see in other sports games out on the market. The development team that make this game, know the game of baseball, they focus on the small things and they show what makes baseball great. This is a must play for a baseball fan who owns a PlayStation 3. Loads better then any attempt by 2K sports. Expand
  23. Mar 10, 2012

1. Up-'til-3am immersive. [May 2012, p.108]
  2. Apr 20, 2012
    MLB 12: The Show is once again the king of the hill of baseball games, but I'm starting to wonder if the developers might be taking the series for granted slightly. They aren't taking risks or dramatically improving the mechanics to any significant degree. This is all well and good seeing as how they are miles ahead of the competition.
  3. Apr 19, 2012
    Last year I said that MLB 11 wasn't a monumental step forward. I would say that MLB 12 is only a half-step forward for the series. Sure the competition within the genre is weak but that is still no excuse to leave much unchanged from last year's version. MLB 12: The Show is a fantastic game of baseball there just isn't enough new to make it an outright purchase recommendation.