7.8

1. Mar 5, 2013
    Its the same as last years game. There are a couple changes to RTTS but nothing to warrant dropping $60 or trading in a bunch of your games to get this. Personally I think MLB 10 The Show was the best game and was almost perfect.This year pitching is harder and batting is also more complicated. Do I feel cheated again? Yup. Will you? Without a doubt.
  2. May 28, 2013
    Yea so if you haven't heard, this game hasn't changed all that much from last year. Same silly bugs we get ever year. Same goofy problems. Biggest aspect of change you'll want to know, the guess pitch feature. They changed it so that you either guess correctly on pitch & location & lock on, or get one wrong & get no feedback whatsoever. The rankings, as you also probably heard, areYea so if you haven't heard, this game hasn't changed all that much from last year. Same silly bugs we get ever year. Same goofy problems. Biggest aspect of change you'll want to know, the guess pitch feature. They changed it so that you either guess correctly on pitch & location & lock on, or get one wrong & get no feedback whatsoever. The rankings, as you also probably heard, are atrocious. I can site examples all day but here's the bottom line: if you don't play online, stick with the 12 or older version of this. If you're the kind of person who has to have the new thing when it cones out, don't say you weren't warned. Expand
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. I've been playing MLB 13 The Show for about 17 of the last 24 hours and The Show is terrible.. Presentation is terrible. The announce team couldn't sound any more artificial. Nothing about their commentary seems real. Matt Vasgersian just rambles on and on trying to play catch up. Online play so far has been horrible. I've played 4 games online and I'm 3-1. It was difficult to play with connection issues and lag with my opponent. I assure you it's not my 50mbps internet that is lagging. So if I want to play online I have to find someone with a top notch ISP and speeds like myself. No servers to help with the connections. The one place the MLB The Show shines is the in depth features of their game modes Franchise, RTTS and the Diamond Dynasty. All three of these features are amazing. As amazing as those features are I can't let the terrible game play slide by. Pure Analog pitching and hitting are horrible, but I'll assign part of the blame to PS3 and their controllers. The Analog sticks are so loose it's impossible to go straight back and forward with them. If this were on 360 I'd be willing to bet everyone would love the Pure Analog control styles. The other control styles for hitting and pitching Zone, Classic and Meter,Classic and Pulse all make me feel like I'm doing nothing. Hitting on this game is still ridiculous. It has improved some. Still way too many weak "oops I didn't mean to swing" type hits. Also in any control scheme for hitting I don't feel like I have control of where I want to hit the ball. They say it's based on timing and the hitters spray charts. This is not like real baseball. Watch any good hitter and you can tell where he is trying to hit the ball. Then usually he'll hit the ball there. I don't feel like i have this type of control in this game.

Pitching is insane as well. The pitch never goes where I aim for it to go, even if ,no matter which control scheme I'm using, I perfectly execute the pitch. The one positive for pitching in this game is the pitchers seem to fatigue realistically. Fielding in this game is a big area of concern for me. Even with the best infielders I can't get to regular ground balls in the hole. There are not too many balls that gets by Brandon Phillips at 2B for the Reds. I see at least five get by him per game on The Show. Also too many times I've had my fielder lined up perfectly to catch a fly ball, then it mysteriously drops to the ground. Finally on fielding is the throwing. The throw meter is stupid. Just plain stupid. All fielders that I have noticed have the same green spot. Shouldn't that spot be bigger or smaller depending on the fielders throwing ability. Then too many times I've just barely missed the green spot, like it's just barely past it in the yellow and the ball goes way off line usually resulting in an error. Baserunning maybe I'm dumb but I can't figure it out. I have to aim the Left analog stick at the runner then tell him what to do. I've tried this and usually they just stop running. So I'm left with just advancing all and returning all. You may want to discredit me for the upcoming closing part but here it goes. A lot of the "new" improvements and the "new" game mode "The Show Live" were mostly ripped straight from MLB 2K series. Analog hitting and pitching were perfected by the 2K series. The new throwing meter in the field, was done first by MVP baseball then perfected by the 2K series. The above mentioned new game mode "The Show Live" is a direct ripoff of the MLB Today game mode from 2K. I'm not trying to say 2K is the better game or not. 2K has some serious issues with glitches and poor graphics and just hardly ZERO depth and features in their game modes. However, while the glitches are annoying, they are usually minor and don't effect the outcome of the game too often. I am willing to sacrifice a level or two of graphics in exchange for better gameplay. Sorry MLB2k may not look as good, but the pitching is the best ever of any baseball game. The fielding is par. The baserunning is easy. The hitting I have complete control of where i want to hit the ball. The announce team and audio presentation squashes MLB The Show. They also have servers and better online connections. So I've played both games. I went out and bought a PS3 just so I can play The Show. I feel like I have wasted $370.00 I could have just bought MLB 2k and would have been happy.

1. May 29, 2013
    A great, deep and entertaining baseball sim without a tutorial to welcome newcomers.
  2. May 7, 2013
    It’s the best baseball simulation available, but the biggest new feature is the mode for beginners, not very interesting to PS3 baseball aficionados. And the rest will probably ignore this game. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.79]
  3. The Show remains the most authentic sports series of all time. FIFA can't touch it. [May 2013, p.108]