ModNation Racers PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: May 25, 2010
8.4

1. Nov 25, 2010
    Modnation Racers does a lot to be similar to Mario Kart all the while being equally similar to Little Big Planet. is it as good as either of them?No. Now that's not to say it's awful-seeing as I'm giving this an 8 in all- it just doesn't have the charm of either title. The create suites are like a game unto themselves, meaning you'll lose hours just making whacky costumes,levels and kartsModnation Racers does a lot to be similar to Mario Kart all the while being equally similar to Little Big Planet. is it as good as either of them?No. Now that's not to say it's awful-seeing as I'm giving this an 8 in all- it just doesn't have the charm of either title. The create suites are like a game unto themselves, meaning you'll lose hours just making whacky costumes,levels and karts for your rough rider. On the track everything feels familiar but there are some cool tweaks like having a consistant boost meter and blasting rivals is still great fun. However there is a tonne of rubber banding going on and the weapons don't deviate from the norm. The hub world (or creation station) is a nifty little area where you can explore to access menus and see the top 3 best creations that other people have made. In conclusion I don't think this is as strong or as original as Split/Second or Blur but it doesn't need to be. MNR is an impressive kart title that adds some juice to usually bland karting formula. It's a worthy PS3 exclusive and a good time sink. Expand
  2. Mar 9, 2011
    Second best only on playstation kart racing game of all time behind CTR: Crash Team Racing. This game is great. Online is super fun, the creating is awesome and the graphics are pretty good. The loading time is a minor setback for me but i get past it. btw im a modnation beast look up ripperroo1992 and u will c my stats which r not the best but i only had the game for 2 months
  3. Aug 25, 2010
    ModNation Racers unfortunately happens to belong to the same micro genre as one of the best loved franchises Nintendo has ever produced. One of the criticisms levelled at MNR is that it lacks the charm of Mario Kart, but itâ
  4. Mar 27, 2011
    ModNation is a great blend of Mario Kart and LittleBigPlanet. It is the PS3's racing play-create-share game. Gameplay is excellent and the controls are simple and intuitive. However, the biggest thing about ModNation Racers is the ability to create your own character, or Mods, as well as your own tracks and karts. Character creation is well done, and those with the patience can createModNation is a great blend of Mario Kart and LittleBigPlanet. It is the PS3's racing play-create-share game. Gameplay is excellent and the controls are simple and intuitive. However, the biggest thing about ModNation Racers is the ability to create your own character, or Mods, as well as your own tracks and karts. Character creation is well done, and those with the patience can create almost anything they want, minus the use of tails and backpacks. Track creation is simple. It is easy to make a course that works, and auto sculpt will fill in the scenery and/or the gameplay items for you. If you are a very creative person and/or like kart racing, this is one that you owe it to yourself to try out. Expand
  5. May 5, 2011
    Besides the load times this game is fun but also the online community can be rough even to new commers, Lets hope your friendly cause in Modnation ONLINE its easy to get reported.
  6. Nov 10, 2011
    Fun great game, seems like a cross between CRT and Mario Kart But different:) so many customisational options, create your own character, or Mods, as well as your own tracks and karts:) Spit screen (great fun in 2), online, offline game modes:)
  7. Aug 30, 2011
    This is one of the most underrated games. Okay the loading times are long but their not much longer than other great games such as Uncharted 2. This game is astoundingly good. The graphics are incredible and the gameplay is so much fun, especially online. You can customise anything, make anything and this is an extremely enjoyable game. If you like racing, this is a must. But if not,This is one of the most underrated games. Okay the loading times are long but their not much longer than other great games such as Uncharted 2. This game is astoundingly good. The graphics are incredible and the gameplay is so much fun, especially online. You can customise anything, make anything and this is an extremely enjoyable game. If you like racing, this is a must. But if not, there's a 90% chance that you will still like this game. For example I have a friend who doesn't like racing so much but this is still his favourite game. Definitely the king of kart races. Mario kart isn't even in it's league Expand
  8. Jun 2, 2014
    One of the best game i have ever played. Just amazing, it will worth all the time you spend for it. Very good on-line options, you can customize your own character , car and race tracks, Just believe me and try this game.
  9. Aug 29, 2010
    Nicely Done. An enjoyable game which I would and many others would put right up there with any racing game. I enjoyed this just as much or maybe more than Mario Kart, which frightened me as Mario Kart is possibly my favourite ever game.
  10. Aug 11, 2010
    The gameplay rivals the finest iteration of Mario Kart, but with the option to customise everything in sight ModNation Racers is up there with the greatest kart racers.
  11. LE_
    Dec 19, 2010
    This is a great game! This is the next gen Mario Kart for PS3. What it lacks in a main character(Mario), it more than makes up with the creation aspect.

Its a good, well rounded kart racer with easy to use controls and great online play. There are a few small issues I have with the game, but not enough to lower it to a 9. The best thing about this game is the mod/kart/track creation.

The best thing about this game is the mod/kart/track creation. This is where the title really shines. It has the best character creation tool ever. Whats best is its easy to use.

The only 2 points I have against the game are: 1. Not enough points given for XP racing. So many level 30s are still playing, its hard to earn XP points. 2. Too many times, the "Unofficial" results were incorrect. I've clearly won races, then had it taken back in the Official results.

This is a must buy for PS3. Especially with the price you can get it for now. I paid $60, and it was worth every penny.
  12. Apr 27, 2014
    Modnation Racers is one of the greatest kart racers ever created. Immediately the game is fun to play. The quick in-game tutorial teaches you the basics and the controls are very intuitive to get use to. If you've played any of the Mario Kart games then you'll feel right at home here. The only difference is there's more depth in the game play with a turbo meter that you can use to goModnation Racers is one of the greatest kart racers ever created. Immediately the game is fun to play. The quick in-game tutorial teaches you the basics and the controls are very intuitive to get use to. If you've played any of the Mario Kart games then you'll feel right at home here. The only difference is there's more depth in the game play with a turbo meter that you can use to go faster (obviously) , side-swipe opponents, or use some of it to create a quick temporary shield around you to defend yourself against attacks. Yes! Finally you can defend yourself against opponents guided missile, sonic booms, and lightning attacks if you're quick enough to deploy and have enough turbo meter to use up to do it. There's no obnoxious blue turtle shells here! I have always been a fan of the Mario Kart series and I've played and loved them all. That series is still king when it comes to characters and imaginative course layouts. But the most fun can be had with Modnation Racers. The game supports 4 player local game play and 2 player online play with up to 10 other racers. The weapons are a lot of fun to use and the track design is filled with many little short cuts and optional hazards that YOU, yourself, can change, add, or delete at your desire and then publish them online and race others on the tracks that you either modified or made entirely on your own. And there is still no shortage of fun-filled, imaginative user created tracks, mod characters, and kart racers that are all free to download and keep. Anyone looking for a fun kart racing game that awards the skilled player for playing strategically but doesn't alienate the novice noobs either, should play this game. It's still loads of fun to play. Expand
  13. Nov 19, 2011
    As with LBP,ModNation Racers is a joy to play with the character,car and track options all infinite.Though the racing is simplistic,the game is fantastic and best enjoyed with friends.
  14. Apr 16, 2012
    Modnation Racers is a racing game that tries to emulate the "mario - kart" formula for the ps3 owners. What does this game bring to the table to be worth buying or to be valued as remarkable? Create, play, share. It's simple, it's funny and it's rewarding. This game lets the user create his own tracks, and if you don't like wasting your time, you can create a simple track in a few minutes.Modnation Racers is a racing game that tries to emulate the "mario - kart" formula for the ps3 owners. What does this game bring to the table to be worth buying or to be valued as remarkable? Create, play, share. It's simple, it's funny and it's rewarding. This game lets the user create his own tracks, and if you don't like wasting your time, you can create a simple track in a few minutes. Drive through your own-designed track is very funny and rewarding. This game is designed to be played by everyone, accessible to new comers, rewarding to core gamers. With that in mind it was a let down the overall difficulty of the main campaign, somehow doesn't reward the good driver, but punishes you very often with weapons from opponents. A few seconds can be vital and you can easily shift from the top sspot to the last. Once you master the high difficulty (even though a later patch gives the option of scale it down), you can better enjoy the experience. Audio/video is good, polished, not groundbreaking but funcional to the gameplay. Voice acting ( in italian at least) is very good and dialogue is funny. Overall i can reccomend this game if you don't get scared of the high difficulty. Expand
  15. Oct 6, 2012
    A successful fun racers with great graphics and witty remarks. The control is in order to inspire the routes. Occasional lag or too long loading times murky but the overall impression as well as the fast and furious increasing difficulty.
  16. Oct 10, 2013
    a ton of fun. The sheer oblivion-extent of customisation is almost a game by itself. the tracks are challenging, colourful, fast pace and a ton of fun. Perfect to play with a group. Even gaming novices. I had a lot of fun creating my own circuits from the ground up literally, soaring through the skies through flaming hoops suspended by helicopters while dodging obstacles popping up just asa ton of fun. The sheer oblivion-extent of customisation is almost a game by itself. the tracks are challenging, colourful, fast pace and a ton of fun. Perfect to play with a group. Even gaming novices. I had a lot of fun creating my own circuits from the ground up literally, soaring through the skies through flaming hoops suspended by helicopters while dodging obstacles popping up just as you take off a ramp. The ability to fire missiles at opponents adds to the mad fun. The graphics may look as though they're aimed for young teens and younger, but it is just as much fun for those of us whom like challenging racers. A definite must-buy! Expand
  17. Dec 8, 2013
    If you enjoy racing games and played with Lego as a kid then this is the perfect game for you. The track creator is the centre of this game, if your not interested building tracks this game is not for you, stick to Mario Kart. However, if you are the creative type the ability to create any race track imaginable is provided in ModNation. I created realistic replicas of Laguna Seca, TsukubaIf you enjoy racing games and played with Lego as a kid then this is the perfect game for you. The track creator is the centre of this game, if your not interested building tracks this game is not for you, stick to Mario Kart. However, if you are the creative type the ability to create any race track imaginable is provided in ModNation. I created realistic replicas of Laguna Seca, Tsukuba and Suzuka Circuit whilst also recreating Mario Karts DK mountain. You can share and trade your creations online and you could download astonishingly accurate reincarnations of everything from MarioKart to South Park characters, Batman and everything in-between.

My only problems with this game are the lousy weapons which leave much to be desired. I left them off and just raced the game with my friends as a pure go kart racer that was still extremely fun and more rewarding than MarioKart where it was the luck of the item draw. The loading times are also a bit too long to be acceptable but it is understandable when you consider the detail that is put into the tracks, characters and vehicles of ModNation.

Turn off items, download and create any track you ever wanted and this game seriously gives MarioKart a run for its money.
  18. Jan 19, 2016
    The PS3 version of Modnation Racers is easily my favourite kart racer. The boost meter mechanic which powers up boosts, shields and activates traps makes the game so much more tactical and intense. This boost meter is filled by drifting, drafting, performing tricks and Not to mention the intuitive power ups. Basically there is 4 different types of base weapon, but by driving you Kart intoThe PS3 version of Modnation Racers is easily my favourite kart racer. The boost meter mechanic which powers up boosts, shields and activates traps makes the game so much more tactical and intense. This boost meter is filled by drifting, drafting, performing tricks and Not to mention the intuitive power ups. Basically there is 4 different types of base weapon, but by driving you Kart into consecutive 'item pods' you can power up the weapon to 3 stages. So a single rocket firing in a straight line can become a swarm of homing missiles. Furthermore, any weapon can be dropped behind the kart by holding square, It's also pretty fast, and so I find winning is much more down to how you drive. During a race you constantly, need to make quick decisions such as: should I use my boost meter for boosting or save it for shields? Or should I wait a while to power up this weapon or fire it right away? There really is never a dull moment, as each second of drift or mid-air trick can provide the little amount of boost meter needed to win a race. In my opinion, this, as well as the tight controls, make this game for one of the most fast, and yet tactical Kart Racers out there. The game is also quite challenging at times, which I personally prefer as I often find other kart racers like Mario Kart too easy. If you want a kart racer that actually revolves around the skill of the player and not luck, then check this out!

And there's a truckload of customisation options as well! The amount of Kart and Character customisation in Mondation Racers is insane - probably the best I have seen in any game ever - and allows you to choose from a huge number of parts or facial features which you can place anywhere on your character. The track customisation is a little more restrictive, but still allows you to create almost any race track you could imagine. Basically you start out with an empty field and drive around to pave the tarmac, so track can have whatever altitude and width you like, whilst turns can be as tight, steep, downhill or banked as necessary. The only slight drawback is that the base game without DLC allows for only 4 different themes - Desert, Alpine, Seaside and Jungle. This unfortunately is quite limiting, and does make some tracks feel very similar. Expansion packs do allow for City and Snow themed areas, however. All of the customisation options are very easy and great fun use. You can make almost anything you can think of, regardless of how wacky they may be! The game does come installed with a fairly lengthy campaign mode and a bunch of pre-made tracks, too.

The only major gripe I have is the long load times, which means it can take a while to get into the action. But when you do this game is a blast! Also the game is not particularly accessible. I found it fun as a beginner, but the game really shines when you get the hang of all the different racing mechanics. So as a party game it could be best to look elsewhere. Connecting to online is nice and easy though, and I find that even now there is still people playing this game. The game's soundtrack is also a little generic, and it can become quite tiresome to hear the same single tune while creating racers and tracks, but it does capture the mood of the game well.

Overall, Modnation Racers is a fantastic Kart Racer, and a game I would recommend to anyone. It has its short-comings, but racing is just so much fun, and intuitive mechanics make Modnation Racers more exciting and engaging than other racers. Combine this with the vast customisation options, and you have in my opinion, the greatest Kart Racer ever.

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Although Modnation has its problems that doesn't stop Modnation racers from being the go to game if you are looking for a fun kart-racing experience on the Playsation 3.
  2. It's a game that makes you feel like there aren't enough gaming hours during the summer months.
  3. Overall, this is a really fun racer, I can't emphasise enough how much the customisation adds to the game.