6.7

1. Oct 4, 2011
    The best basketball game of all time just got a billion times better. And that's a remarkable feat because NBA 2K11 was a frickin' masterpiece of sports gaming. NBA 2K12 is a beautiful love letter to the game of basketball and a dream come true to it's fans. Fans of the both the real and virtual world versions of the sport. Simply put: this game is INCREDIBLE. Prepare to be floored whenThe best basketball game of all time just got a billion times better. And that's a remarkable feat because NBA 2K11 was a frickin' masterpiece of sports gaming. NBA 2K12 is a beautiful love letter to the game of basketball and a dream come true to it's fans. Fans of the both the real and virtual world versions of the sport. Simply put: this game is INCREDIBLE. Prepare to be floored when you jump back in time and play as Bill Russell and the weathered black and white screen and filtered audio make you feel like you just time traveled back into the world of TV's Mad Men. Be wowed when you see how incredibly smooth and fluid animations. It's so photorealistic and lifelike that you will forget you're controlling a video game and think you've actually got the real life versions of Dirk, Lebron, and Kobe on Pinocchio strings making them perform miraculous moves and nailing incredible shots. The accessibility of this year's game is greatly improved as well. Just tap triangle to engage in the post to open a plethora of new moves. I swear the number of moves in this game and the amount possibilities when factoring in the game's brilliant physics engine is STAGGERING. It's virtually endless in its gameplay possibilities. You'll see a new animation nearly every play. In final, 2K Sports has become legendary. Greatness and 2K are now synonymous. It's baffling that the company could great something so incredibly better than it's predecessor when it's predecessor was arguably the greatest sports game ever made. Well chaps, there is NO ARGUMENT to be had this year:

NBA 2K12 is HANDS DOWN.....THE GREATEST SPORTS GAME IN GAMING HISTORY.

Get it NOW!
  2. Oct 5, 2011
    Since the Early Days of Madden, I haven't really enjoyed sports games; and I don't care for basketball that much either; but last year NBA2K 11 ascended to the scene and brought basketball gamingl (and the Sports Game genre) to a new level. Things would never be the same again. A lot to live up to.

However, NBA2K 12 meets the high standard set by its predecessor and builds on the smart gameplay and graphical design. Even more than last time, you feel as if you control the players. And oh the players to choose from. Its like 2K took the NBA2K game and super sized it . I am still not comfortable with all the controls, but its fun learning, and that is saying something in and of itself.
  3. Oct 23, 2011
    Could be the perfect game if online had no lag, lobbies as per 2k11, excessive 3 point and steals cheating was fixed.

Sorry, this is not a 9/10 game.
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    No season, no problem. This is more of a beta review/first impressions since I have not had time to play it in-depth, but seems to me like it's 2K11 2.0. I'm just happy it works, I had to return 2K11 before last year's finals because it just stopped working after several PS3 firmware updates. In fact, even with the very first load, I could not connect to the 2K servers (waited 10No season, no problem. This is more of a beta review/first impressions since I have not had time to play it in-depth, but seems to me like it's 2K11 2.0. I'm just happy it works, I had to return 2K11 before last year's finals because it just stopped working after several PS3 firmware updates. In fact, even with the very first load, I could not connect to the 2K servers (waited 10 minutes before cancelling). At least, it seems the network play is decoupled from offline play so that we can enjoy either just fine (hoping this is the case). Graphics are crisp and text seems even clearer than before. Controls are responsive and I saw no glitching after an hour of play, smooth framerate. Default sound is skewed heavily towards arena/ambient sounds and even with 100 volume on the announcers, you could hardly hear them over the crowd noise and organ. Agree with one of the critic reviews that character models are improved in some places, worse or no change in others. Same announcing team, more sponsors. Announcing is great but I saw an awesome dunk on a computer vs computer and didn't hear the emphatic shout from Clark Kellog. Seems like a good mix of tracks on 2K beats, but I miss Snoop's 2K theme from last year. I also liked 2K11 showing some of the Arena locations and external shots. Have yet to see that here. Looking forward to getting into Association and My Player to check out improvements there. However, it looks like they took away the 3 point shooting contest and other street ball features and replaced it with a generic NBA blacktop mode. Hmm. Anyway, while we wait for the real NBA to get its act together, this will keep the fans busy. Expand
  5. Oct 7, 2011
    Holy God is this game good! I hate sports games but 2K games are another story! This is incredible, graphics are unbelievable, gameplay almost perfect, I have no complaints about this game. Best Basketball game of all time right here hands down. Only complaint I have is that these guys got shut out by EA at doing a good football game. Buy this right now worth every single penny!
  6. Nov 10, 2011
    It would be an amazing game if not for all the bugs, glitches and online problems. 2K has had server problems for at least 4 years now. Every year it's the same thing. Dropped games, long wait times, and server downtime are all common. 2K should have fixed their servers by now, there is no excuse for it to be this bad year after year. Then you have to wait months for a patch to fix thingsIt would be an amazing game if not for all the bugs, glitches and online problems. 2K has had server problems for at least 4 years now. Every year it's the same thing. Dropped games, long wait times, and server downtime are all common. 2K should have fixed their servers by now, there is no excuse for it to be this bad year after year. Then you have to wait months for a patch to fix things up. The NBA2k site that was suppose to be up for this years game still has the Coming Soon signs over a month after release. As far as gameplay goes, it's not too bad. 3s, steals and blocks in the paint were all way too excessive until they recently released a small patch. If your planning on playing this game mostly offline, there's not a better basketball game. Online play is another story. The presentation is great and the game modes are all there. If only 2k could get better servers and limit the amount of bugs, this would be the perfect basketball game. Expand
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    I was a big fan of NBA 2K11, the best sports game ever made. I was so excited to get NBA 2K12. Then I got the game ... .then I'm VERY VERY disapointed !!!! If the gameplay is not that different than the previous one, it's REALLY more full of bugs.

1st of all, the shooting rating. Absolutely NO meaning. Remember in NBA 2K11, you could have a little picture that was telling you how you succeed in your shot (green or red). The same is still here, and you can now have a rate of your shoot (for example, green picture plus A+, or A- or B, etc...). And it means NOTHING !!!! You can have an open shot (99 player's rating at middrange), get the green picture, get the A+ .... and you shot is out of the basket .... WHAT ? OUT ? With 99 player's rating, open shot, green picture, and A+ ? So what is the point of this "A+" ??? On the contrary, you can have a shoot inside the basket with green picture, open shoot and a B- or B+ rating. It's stupid to propose a rating if it's useless ....

2nd, the "browd's bug". Your players going too fast and go into the crowd ? Too bad for you guys ... until next timeout, your player could STAY into the crowd, WITHOUT any possibility to go again on the floor.

I'll stop here, it would be tooooooooooooo long to enumerate all the bugs ....

One last thing, and really it's a pure shame, 1 trophy cannot be obtained. CANNOT, AT ALL !!! The NBA Today trophy. Why ? Because 2K decided that because there is no season, you can't obtain that trophy. That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard ! So it means that if there were a season and Kevin Durant was injured, so you would not be able to grab the trophy of 48pts with Kevin Durant ? The explanations of 2K Sports are pure **** !!! And Ronnie2K saying that this unobtainable trophy can't be fixed .... What a shame !

Shame on you 2K Sports !!! Instead of trying to earn more and more money with your DLC, tou should work on YOUR bugs in the original game.

Be sure on 2 things : I'll never buy the DLC, and I probably won't buy NBA 2K13 if it's the same than this game.

2K Sports, the road of money requires not to cheat on your customers ...
  8. Oct 23, 2011
    ONLINE NEEDS TO BE FIXED. hello 2k... it's been 4 years since online was good. its almost the year 2012 and you dont have proper software for people to play over the internet. EA got it right 7 years ago.
  9. Oct 24, 2011
    Best basketball game I have ever played. I played a lot basketball games on the PS2 and enjoyed most of them. This is my first basketball game on the PS3 and this is better than all the previous basketball games I have played.
  10. Oct 10, 2011
    In light of the ongoing NBA lockout and the absence of competing hoops sims, it's really fortunate that 2K12 is the greatest basketball title ever made. I've stuck with this series since the Dreamcast titles and I've never been disappointed. Feature-rich, deep and rewarding gameplay, amazing animation... the only game that can top this is next year's 2K13.
  11. Oct 11, 2011
    I would have rated this game a 10 but this game is good but far from perfect. Gameplay and animations are improved versions of last year's. Controls are slightly different (can be a good and a bad). What makes this game really stand out from the previous 2k Sports games are the NBA's Greatest challenges. It's fun to play old classic players and teams but what makes this mode so great isI would have rated this game a 10 but this game is good but far from perfect. Gameplay and animations are improved versions of last year's. Controls are slightly different (can be a good and a bad). What makes this game really stand out from the previous 2k Sports games are the NBA's Greatest challenges. It's fun to play old classic players and teams but what makes this mode so great is it's presentation. You will feel like you are actually there. You play Celtics with Bill Russell and the screen will be black and white and the scoreboard will look like what it should've looked like before and there will be no three-point line. My Player changed for the better and is not as boring as it was before. I still find it boring to be playing only one guy but 2K made enough changes for it to be a little more fun and less boring. But like I've said this game is far from perfect. 2K may have improved some things but last year's problem is still found in 2K12 which is ONLINE. Online in 2k12 is really bad and it will most likely disconnect before you even finish the game. But NBA 2K12 is good game especially for fans like me who have nothing to do during the lockout. Expand
  12. Oct 15, 2011
    An NBA game that's good, i never thought i'd see the day. this game is easier than 2K11 since i am a terrible 2K player and even i can be good at it. the my player mode took awhile, and bored me a little. my favorite part was playing quick match over and over and over.
  13. Oct 6, 2011
    NBA2K12 IS THE BEST NUBER# 1 IS GOODNBA2K12 IS THE BEST NUBER# 1 IS GOOD GOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Expand
  14. Nov 5, 2011
    The NBA 2k series has come a long way since the first but lately it has been lacking something new. Right off the bat looking at the visuals I wasn't impressed they looked exactly like those of 2k11 nothing new there. Going on to the My Player experience it has improved even more than the previous two versions which is what was expected but I have to say it exceed my expectations. Now forThe NBA 2k series has come a long way since the first but lately it has been lacking something new. Right off the bat looking at the visuals I wasn't impressed they looked exactly like those of 2k11 nothing new there. Going on to the My Player experience it has improved even more than the previous two versions which is what was expected but I have to say it exceed my expectations. Now for the basketball experience the game excels like it should but some things are still missing. After playing it I notice that 2k games goes with a premium and standard lay out (like how Polyphony did with their cars in Gran Turismo) for player although they don't say it you can notice it and what I mean by it is the difference between the star in the NBA and the players who aren't stars. When you are using some like Kobe Bryant or Dirk Nowitski every thing is correct for these players such as their jumpers and their signature layups ext. But when using a non superstar 2k games has a number of generic moves and will give a player the one that looks the closest to theirs which takes away from the realism. But overall it is still a great game but I only wish some other things where added to the game such as having the correct voices for the PA announcers for the correct court and having a variety of commentators like Reggie Miller or Jeff Van Gundy. So I'm giving it an 8.5 its a great game but some bigger improvements can be made to it. Expand
  15. Oct 31, 2011
    The classic NBA series 2K is one of the most popular sports series aside from Madden, so one would hope that as each year goes by, we will eventually reach a perfect basketball game, sadly, this is not it. NBA 2K11 was better than this game solely on the fact that this game is just a little too realistic than what gamers are accustomed to. Online is a bit off and needs fixing and theThe classic NBA series 2K is one of the most popular sports series aside from Madden, so one would hope that as each year goes by, we will eventually reach a perfect basketball game, sadly, this is not it. NBA 2K11 was better than this game solely on the fact that this game is just a little too realistic than what gamers are accustomed to. Online is a bit off and needs fixing and the gameplay is pretty much the same, but the way the game looks is a little too realistic which ruins the "game" aspect. Expand
  16. Nov 8, 2011
    This review may be controversial and I will fully respect dissenting opinions, but I felt like this game was TOO realistic a basketball simulation for my taste. The NBA, much to my shagrin, has turned into a jump-shot fiesta and NBA 2K11 followed suit. The big men in the game have been completely nerfed and there's no sense in trying to penetrate the paint at all. The only games I won wereThis review may be controversial and I will fully respect dissenting opinions, but I felt like this game was TOO realistic a basketball simulation for my taste. The NBA, much to my shagrin, has turned into a jump-shot fiesta and NBA 2K11 followed suit. The big men in the game have been completely nerfed and there's no sense in trying to penetrate the paint at all. The only games I won were the games in which I could develop a good passing rhythm that ultimately left a 2-guard in the corner for three. While this is disappointingly similar to real life, I never felt like I was enjoying the game, even in victory. Put in several hours, ready to sell it back. Expand
  17. Nov 1, 2011
    An amazing and well crafted sports game. The only sports game I will ever pick up too. The 2k Series revamps its My Player mode making it easier in ways, and more exciting in others. This game doesn't cease to dissapoint and will, I repeat will, keep the gamer engaged at all times whether it be My Player or Legends Mode. Its a must buy. Perfection in basketball as a game. That's what it is.
  18. Nov 10, 2011
    These greedy millionaires are on strike because their salaries are going down slightly. They are still millionaires! I make 30,000 a year. A 7% drop in my pay would hurt, but unlike them I save and don't live paycheck to paycheck. We are in an economic crisis and they think they can complain about money!? Even with this drop in salary they make more than anyone can ever dream of making.These greedy millionaires are on strike because their salaries are going down slightly. They are still millionaires! I make 30,000 a year. A 7% drop in my pay would hurt, but unlike them I save and don't live paycheck to paycheck. We are in an economic crisis and they think they can complain about money!? Even with this drop in salary they make more than anyone can ever dream of making. And just for playing a game. Do I get paid for playing a game. No. I have a job, I actually contribute something to society. So, long story short, do not support these crybabies. DO NOT SUPPORT THE NBA. Don't buy this game, don't buy jerseys, and don't tune in on tv when these greedy crybabies get back to work. Expand
  19. Nov 10, 2011
    Even with the lock out going on this game is loads of fun, the new mechanics gives u more options on wat u want to do post up wise and even dribbling it feels as if u have more control and they even added more signature shots now when lebron shoots it actually looks like its his jump shot not that in the past it didnt but they made it even more realistic. 2k sports continue what your doingEven with the lock out going on this game is loads of fun, the new mechanics gives u more options on wat u want to do post up wise and even dribbling it feels as if u have more control and they even added more signature shots now when lebron shoots it actually looks like its his jump shot not that in the past it didnt but they made it even more realistic. 2k sports continue what your doing because its working and Thank you for finally fixing the my player mode now i actually look forward and have fun playing now that i feel i can finally reach my player to an all star. Expand
  20. ob1
    Nov 10, 2011
    awesome! worth every penny i paid, tons of fun and graphically stunning. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4
  21. Nov 15, 2011
    Perhaps the best game of basketball.
    but a great blunder, so removing the 2K11's online ... only 1 years ago.
    So I can not put more note. this is a joke.
  22. Nov 20, 2011
    Terrific Basketball experience. Online isn't that great but the game itself has great longevity if you enjoy some NBA. Still some things here id like to see improved, such as the player creation system who you will find allot of generic looking guys. Great association mode.
  23. Dec 8, 2011
    Best looking game ever but possibly one of the most frustrating experiences imaginable. The controls are so tight and wonky you will be breaking controllers in no time. Unnecessary animations, unrealistic steals and 3s, a lousy manual and simply over-complicated frustrating game-play, remember when it was fun to pick up NBA 2K and play basketball??? 2K sports forgot.
  24. Dec 6, 2011
    Wow.. Where do I start? Terrible multiplayer. You wait a lot and drop in the middle of the game. Terrible MP mode. Its fun to make a career but with stupidly missed details are throwing you off. If i wasn`t playing a shooting guard I would never play this game again. These guys makes these games and forget to put rookie all-star game in MP mode? and there are only 3 rookies ? At pressWow.. Where do I start? Terrible multiplayer. You wait a lot and drop in the middle of the game. Terrible MP mode. Its fun to make a career but with stupidly missed details are throwing you off. If i wasn`t playing a shooting guard I would never play this game again. These guys makes these games and forget to put rookie all-star game in MP mode? and there are only 3 rookies ? At press conference , why reporters are all the same? Are you joking ? Do you have the same mentality as Fifa 2012? It seems like no one works hard to make games anymore. What make games better are details.. and no-gamer developers don`t know anything about it. Expand
  25. Jan 9, 2012
    It has a lot of bugs, glitches and annoying features, but still I'm sitting at the tv thinking "just one more game"... It has reminded me of my old love of NBA. Oh and My Player mode owns.
  26. Mar 13, 2012
    Worst game ever. Don't waste your time on this piece of crap. They didn't even make an effort. I'll never buy another 2k sports game. I hope they made a lot of money.Worst game ever. Don't waste your time on this piece of crap. They didn't even make an effort. I'll never buy another 2k sports game. I hope they made a lot of money. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Expand
  27. May 24, 2012
    Like NBA 2K11 before it, it is a great great game until at some point it glitches out all over the place. When it works, this is one of the best sports games I've ever seen, but at some point the menus freeze, online play glitches, and it all turns to poop. Epic fail!
  28. Jul 21, 2012
    A fantastic sports game, perhaps the best I have ever played. The presentation is very close to a television broadcast and the gameplay is very good. I see some people have criticised the shooting as if you have a 99 rated player and you get an A+ shot away you can still miss but that is why he is rated 99 and not 100. Even MJ missed shots which he should have scored. That is sports.A fantastic sports game, perhaps the best I have ever played. The presentation is very close to a television broadcast and the gameplay is very good. I see some people have criticised the shooting as if you have a 99 rated player and you get an A+ shot away you can still miss but that is why he is rated 99 and not 100. Even MJ missed shots which he should have scored. That is sports.

The one negative point is that 2K seem unable to do faces properly especially the face of my favourite player, Steve Nash. He looks like a gorilla in the game which is ridiculous. Sort it out and this game would get a 10.
  29. Feb 19, 2012
    I cannot tell you how many times I cursed this game, threw my paddle and swore I would never boot it again. The most intriguing portion of this game is the player creation that starts your career as a young, mediocre player... and it is very hard, and frustrating... at first. However, I kept picking up the paddle, kept putting in the game. Something about it kept me wanting. Then,I cannot tell you how many times I cursed this game, threw my paddle and swore I would never boot it again. The most intriguing portion of this game is the player creation that starts your career as a young, mediocre player... and it is very hard, and frustrating... at first. However, I kept picking up the paddle, kept putting in the game. Something about it kept me wanting. Then, something changed. I played through some of the new Training sessions, ran through some scrimmages, and kept plugging away and spending my ability points. I finally got it. I was scoring 25 points a game (5 min quarters) hitting my goals, etc... We did not win much as the rest of my team was horrifyingly bad (Jazz), but grew through the ranks, was traded, and am now having a blast working towards a Championship and eventually Hall of Fame. I can now say this is a very, very good game. The work definitely pays off, IMO. Keep trying. This is not an arcade game, it is an NBA game. The complexity makes it far more enjoyable than any "blast and dunk" game, it merely takes a little work to find the gem this is. Expand
  30. Oct 23, 2011
    i loved 2k11..played it all year. played it more than any game i've ever played. but 2k12 is just not enjoyable...playing 2k11 was a joy, but trying to do anything in 2k12 is just an endless struggle due to the unresponsive control, inappropriate animations, and overpowered CPU.

i tried for weeks to get some type of enjoyment out this game, but 2k just screwed so many things up that were great in 2k11. if they had just left 2k11 alone (and just added the new post up system, playcalling, and some of the new AI) i would've been in love with 2k12...but my biggest fear has become a reality....2k just couldn't leave a good thing alone. they had to go and revamp too many aspects of the game that worked better in 2k11. boredom and over-thinking seems to have gotten the best of the devs and they lost perspective of what works and what doesn't. the control and responsiveness took a step back in many areas (dribbling, passing, shot blocking, defense, etc.)...then on top of that the CPU is just way too good and can make too many "impossible-to-stop" moves. it's damn near impossible to keep the CPU from driving because there isn't enough bumping...that's right i said it. 2k12 doesn't have enough bumping...trying to stay in front of a ball handler and bump him is like trying to grab a greased pig...the defense has this "slippery" feeling like no matter how i position my defender the ball handler is just doing to slip around me with no contact...i don't know how many times i should've created contact and stopped the ball handler, but due to the unrealistic collision system he just conveniently slips past me....they should've added more subtle, nuanced collisions like more "ride" animations, but instead they just got rid of them completely. and when the CPU gets anywhere near the paint, every player does that SAME DAMN SPIN MOVE, THEN HEAD FAKE, THEN UP-AND-UNDER that CAN'T BE DEFENDED. that garbage move alone is enough to make me give up on this game...moving the hopstep and spin moves to the right stick was a mistake in my opinion...as it just makes it too hard to pull off these moves...but the CPU can pull them off at will because the CPU doesn't have to do some crazy button combination - the CPU just has to tell the player "do a hopstep" or "do a spin move"...this gives the CPU way too big of an advantage with these interior moves. when i heard they had removed the hopstep button, i was worried, but i was willing to give the right stick thing a chance...but it just isn't as good.

in 2k11, i felt like when i did something on my controller, i got the appropriate animation that i wanted to get..and the animation happened in a quick, responsive manner...i really felt like i was in control and could do the things that i envisioned in my mind...but 2k12 has too many delayed animations and WTF moments where i'm like "i did not want to do that type of animation". a lot of the layup animations are head-scratchers where i think "why did he do that animation?". pass animations went to hell in 2k12...the joy of passing has been killed in this game due to delayed/sluggish pass animations and pass types that aren't right for the situation.....the joy of dribbling has gone as well - it feels sluggish and the perfect "mirroring" on-ball defense by the CPU prevents you from getting any separation.

i was looking forward to playing this game all year long like last year...NBA 2K was going to be my "go-to" game again...but i just don't like what they've done with this game...and if i'm not enoying it, i might as well stop wasting my time being frustrated every time i pick up the controller. they just missed the mark this year and made too many questionable changes.
  31. Jul 20, 2012
    great game alot better then madden 12 in my opinion even though i am a huge madden fan after madden 10 i couldnt stand playing madden so i bought nba 2k12 and wow its really good feels really realistic and having all of the classic teams and players is extra special however lag online and constant server issues, and a lack of dunk contest keep this game from being perfect
  32. Dec 3, 2011
    Huge step back, the AI is psychic, they removed the ability to run a simple pick and roll play. Just avoid this game under any circumstance. 2K have completely taken advantage of the fact that EA's NBA Live doesn't have a release this year. I am a huge 2K fan, every release has been better than the last, except for this one. This is the least fun I've ever had with a NBA 2K game. It's justHuge step back, the AI is psychic, they removed the ability to run a simple pick and roll play. Just avoid this game under any circumstance. 2K have completely taken advantage of the fact that EA's NBA Live doesn't have a release this year. I am a huge 2K fan, every release has been better than the last, except for this one. This is the least fun I've ever had with a NBA 2K game. It's just unbalanced garbage, plain and simple. Expand
  33. Jan 10, 2012
    This is possibly the most frustrating and aggravating gaming experience I have ever had. I haven't owned a basketball game since the last NBA live and was willing to try something new this season. I was actually somewhat excited to play this game after hearing all of the positive reviews. To say I was disappointed would be an extreme understatement. My issues with the game mostly revolveThis is possibly the most frustrating and aggravating gaming experience I have ever had. I haven't owned a basketball game since the last NBA live and was willing to try something new this season. I was actually somewhat excited to play this game after hearing all of the positive reviews. To say I was disappointed would be an extreme understatement. My issues with the game mostly revolve around controls and player movement. Even if they worked as intended the controls are in my opinion unintuitive. To make matters worse, they don't even work properly. Many of the players, regardless of actual size, move and handle like centers or power forwards. There is a sometimes significant delay between your input on the controller and the players reaction in game, meaning they do what you tell them to do quite a while after you tell them to do it. The game sometimes even gets your input backwards. For example, in NBA live I liked to do a pump fake to get the defender in the air, then try and dribble to the hoop. When I attempt that move in this game my player will often dribble THEN stop and pump fake even if I had told him to do it the other way around. This stops my dribble and possibly my drive if I had managed to get by the defender. Players will sometimes perform moves you didn't intend to occur causing you to step out of bounds and turn over the ball. Shooting is not much better as the right stick controls can be hard to get the hang of, and players will often shoot the ball in ways you clearly didn't intend. Another gripe I have with the game is the passing logic. I realize that pressing "R1" and then selecting a player ensures that the ball goes where you want it to go. However, it's sometimes much easier to press "X" when on a fast break and not need to worry about what button you need to press to get the ball to the player on the other end. In theory there is a way to tell who the ball is going to go because the game puts a grey circle beneath the player it believes you are targeting. In reality, this circle is not only inaccurate much of time (the ball doesn't go where the game says it will go), but doesn't appear beneath the seemingly logical target. The game will decide to throw the ball down the court instead of passing to the open player in front of you, or pass to the player being covered as opposed to the open player on the other side of you. The passing indicator also seems "sticky" and won't switch to a different player even if one becomes a better target.
    Many people have said that this is more of a simulation while NBA live is a more arcade like experience. While the game definitely seems more difficult, much of the difficulty comes from the game not functioning like it is supposed to. The various game modes seem cool and well thought out, but the core gameplay needs serious tuning. If there was another NBA live I would grab that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately this is the only option until NBA elite finally comes out, and that doesn't seem to be a project headed in the right direction. Basketball video games are dead to me
  34. Feb 7, 2012
    Way too difficult for the casual player. Layups and post shots are WAY too hard to make, your team's CPU players DON'T play transition defense, on ball defense is good up to the point of the shot clock fading where at the point the CPU just figures out some miraculous way to score, 3 pointers are too inconsistent, little players like Nate Robinson somehow can stop Dwight Howard fromWay too difficult for the casual player. Layups and post shots are WAY too hard to make, your team's CPU players DON'T play transition defense, on ball defense is good up to the point of the shot clock fading where at the point the CPU just figures out some miraculous way to score, 3 pointers are too inconsistent, little players like Nate Robinson somehow can stop Dwight Howard from scoring, and there's other bugs and glitches.

It's obvious the critics that rated this game only played once or twice because there's no way this game deserves a ten. I might just go with NBA Elite next year...
  35. Mar 1, 2012
    As socokid has noted the My Player mode can seem quite unforgiving at first but stick with it. My player has definitely been improved from 2k11 you start off with mediocre stats as opposed to being terrible in 2k11 and gain skill points for completing training drills, winning matches and completing certain tasks assigned before and during a game. Gameplay is about as good as it gets in anyAs socokid has noted the My Player mode can seem quite unforgiving at first but stick with it. My player has definitely been improved from 2k11 you start off with mediocre stats as opposed to being terrible in 2k11 and gain skill points for completing training drills, winning matches and completing certain tasks assigned before and during a game. Gameplay is about as good as it gets in any sports game for mine, the presentation is absolutely top notch, I love the commentary which has very good variety with such gems as "he's barreling in there with bad man intentions". I'll take a moment to address the shooting which has been lambasted on here by some, firstly ignore the shot helper (this is the icon that pops up when you shoot, which shows either a green or red shooting symbol on the screen) it's basically useless, you can get green and have a 99 shot rating and be unguarded and you can and will still miss, now like all NBA games that I've ever played you try to release the ball at the top of the players jump for the best chance of a shot going in, choose a jumper where your player jumps (ie not Paul Pierce or similar style) and watch your player, it takes practice but once you've cottoned on you should be fine, secondly your shot success depends on a lot of factors just like in a real game, if you have a guy right in your face then this makes your shot harder, if the player happens to be taller than you this will make your shot harder, if you shoot off the dribble and don't set yourself = harder shot, I'm sure you're getting the picture by now. I will take a stab and say that most people giving low ratings are having trouble with the shooting mechanics, I just say take what I've put into account and you will improve. General gameplay wise the game is not perfect, in fact it can be very frustrating and the game IMO does cheat at certain times, for instance on a fastbreak with no one on me with the scores close in the last part of a game the computer has made me miss dunks (I can't recall ever seeing that happen IRL). The computer AI has psychic pass interception powers and superhuman reflexes ie you can pass to a team mate with a computer AI opponent in between and even if you are close to your team mate and the AI is looking at your team mate and not you, the computer can will often intercept your pass, so beware. Sometimes the AI just does not want you to win a game, this will become obvious rather quickly, as in some games with my Layup rating of 91, my player will repeatedly miss uncontested layups, my shots will always bounce out and away from the rim, with the computer nailing shots from everywhere defended or not and getting good bounces all game, in fact I've had a buzzer beater go more than halfway into the basket and pop back out, the computer will just plain cheat IMO and there's really no 2 ways about it. Having said that it doesn't happen too often and although it really grinds my gears at times, I always come back for more, am I a glutton for punishment, maybe. Is it a great game, damn straight! Expand
  36. Mar 9, 2012
    this is the greatest sports game i have ever played next to NFL 2k5. if your a basketball fan this is a must buy! you will not want to put the game down, i could play this game all day long
  37. May 4, 2012
    Its hard to begin the complaints on how poorly NBA 2k12 plays out, compared to others in the series.
    Most people don't know that there's a training option which will display every option an offensive player can take and do....cool.
    -There is no defense training. -The "Momentum physics" are poorly done...imagine ice skating, to start and stop, both taking an extremely long time to play out

-There is no defense training.
    -The "Momentum physics" are poorly done...imagine ice skating, to start and stop, both taking an extremely long time to play out correctly.
    -There is no way to play without feeling like you're on ice skates.
    -The steal button makes your player swing, miss, and gamble completely out of the play (as well as with block attempts).
    -Animations make your controlled player turn the wrong direction, all for you to figure how to simply turn them back around, which is a hard task when you're sliding all over the place. -the ball jars loose, sometimes without anyone forcing it.
    -Whenever the game decides a blow out, you'll know; no one makes any baskets.
    -You cannot shoot yourself out of a slump, no matter how well you release the shot.
    -With all the special moves you learned on offense (driving) comes a simple defensive vertical jump or bump to stop all the work you've done.
    -Defensive A.I. is helped by your offensive pass being telegraphed, or thrown poorly.
    -You cannot choose between bounce, chest, or lead passing.
    -mid-air collisions are rarely fouls.
    -offensive A.I. is absent. teammates can be wide open, but they don't react to it correctly (by making the shot easier on themselves)
    -the bump animations are excessive on the ball handler; these should be either abandoned or called as fouls.
    -the game forces turnovers on you because the offense A.I. won't run like a real offense. Too often they bluff cut attempt, stand in the same spot, don't run with you, run in the dribblers path, etc.

This videogame has 1,000 TOO MANY animations, you wont be able to tell what you're going to pull out or if the computer is playing for you. There is a complete lack of control.The outcome is scripted based on the match up.

Just a sad 2012 replication of NBA basketball. A complete waste of my money. Its way to frustrating for a diehard NBA fan like myself. I recommend you do not purchase this game.

Graphics: 8.5 (players don't sweat....2k is known for introducing this and they forgot it in 2k12, they also promised haircut changes, which I've only seen in Ty Lawson)
    Atmosphere/presentation: 10
    Control: 3
    Replay value: 3.5
  38. May 17, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed from the poor graphics (worse than in 2K11), but still this game is better than the previous game. Now you can play with more basketball legends players. This is one of the best basketball game of the year 2011, and It's really successful. (9.2)
  39. Jun 2, 2012
    When I called the 2k customer support line to complain about the online experience, the representative essentially told me that they knew about all the online issues and that they were probably not going to get fixed. If you play sports game for the online experience, STAY AWAY FROM 2k! They've been getting worse every year, and now they can't even get something as simple as your ownWhen I called the 2k customer support line to complain about the online experience, the representative essentially told me that they knew about all the online issues and that they were probably not going to get fixed. If you play sports game for the online experience, STAY AWAY FROM 2k! They've been getting worse every year, and now they can't even get something as simple as your own basic statistics right. Can't for the competition to shape up. Good bye forever 2k. Expand
  40. Jun 5, 2012
    NBA 2k12 is debatably the best sports game of all time! First of all it's great to see that 2K have made noticeable changes from last years game which is rare to see in the sports genre. The main aim of a sports game should be to deliver the sport to the gamer that is extremely realistic, to make the gamer feel like they are actually taking part in the sport, In NBA 2K12 every elementNBA 2k12 is debatably the best sports game of all time! First of all it's great to see that 2K have made noticeable changes from last years game which is rare to see in the sports genre. The main aim of a sports game should be to deliver the sport to the gamer that is extremely realistic, to make the gamer feel like they are actually taking part in the sport, In NBA 2K12 every element makes you feel this way from the gameplay, presentation and commentary etc. You get a lot of bang for your buck with 2k12 with the various amount of modes such as association mode, my player, NBA's greatest and NBA Blacktop to name a few. This game is a must buy for all sports fans Expand
  41. Jul 26, 2012
    NBA simulation in Video Games has continued to grow thanks to 2k Sports essential franchise. Previous versions carried similar features but the My Player mode has improved and there are much fewer bugs than in previous versions. This year's version legacy features may make 2K12 a golden year in NBA games surpassing the best Madden and Fifa editions.
  42. Sep 5, 2012
    This game is good don't get me wrong but the online is the worst **** I've ever played EVER!! I haven't played one game online without lag which makes it almost impossible to hit shots regularly. Single player is great that is where it gets a 10 but I must penalize for online. I can barely find a game for the throwback teams which I paid 10$ and can't use them online 2k online BLOWS. NBAThis game is good don't get me wrong but the online is the worst **** I've ever played EVER!! I haven't played one game online without lag which makes it almost impossible to hit shots regularly. Single player is great that is where it gets a 10 but I must penalize for online. I can barely find a game for the throwback teams which I paid 10$ and can't use them online 2k online BLOWS. NBA Live 10 was the best basketball game online ever and it wasn't even that good of a game. Cmon 2k give us a good connect for 2k13!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  43. Aug 6, 2013
    NBA 2K12 9/10.........................................................................................................................................
  44. Dec 21, 2012
    My Player is riddled with bugs. The signature mode destroyed by junky programming. Prepare for your MVP, 2 million vote All Star to play 12 minutes off the bench in the big game. Online was broken, trophies didn't pop, and DESPICABLY 2k REMOVED trading Legends to teams, the best feature of 2K11. Oh, but they put this feature in their DLC. 2K has been slipping for 3 years. Let's hope thatMy Player is riddled with bugs. The signature mode destroyed by junky programming. Prepare for your MVP, 2 million vote All Star to play 12 minutes off the bench in the big game. Online was broken, trophies didn't pop, and DESPICABLY 2k REMOVED trading Legends to teams, the best feature of 2K11. Oh, but they put this feature in their DLC. 2K has been slipping for 3 years. Let's hope that crappy Live comes back to push 2K into polishing up a darn yearly title. Expand
  45. ERB
    Dec 7, 2013
    NBA 2K12 is no doubt the best basketball game of It's generation.The game play is so fun and it is very addicting playing this game.You can customize and create your own characters and you can even create a team of your own!Which is good.One of my favorite parts in this game is their basketball moves.The dunks in this game looks awesome and you can even play the legendary NBA players likeNBA 2K12 is no doubt the best basketball game of It's generation.The game play is so fun and it is very addicting playing this game.You can customize and create your own characters and you can even create a team of your own!Which is good.One of my favorite parts in this game is their basketball moves.The dunks in this game looks awesome and you can even play the legendary NBA players like Larry Bird,Jerry West,and especially our all time favorite basketball player Michael Jordan.It is interesting and awesome to see Michael Jordan do his legendary dunks in video games.You can also compete in Playoffs where you use your team to fight against many teams in Playoffs.I also love the online mode in this game where you can use your team to fight many players online.

This game is great and it gets a score of 9/10!Which is great and that is why I want you guys to try this game out and have fun.I promise you guys this game is worth It.
  46. Oct 28, 2013
    My horrendous review is based on one sole reason, but personally if it happened or happens to you, the review couldn't be different. Honestly I don't think I have ever been more upset, beyond anger, like genuinely hysterical about a video game. I still haven't fully recovered.

I started an Nba 2k "my player" in college and was the biggest game my collective roommates as a whole bonded over. A lot of hours have been put into doing this "my player". I stopped playing when college ended, but recently took it up again and started to just rain fury on the NBA with my player. Jackie Moon was his name, based on Will Ferrell's semi-pro character. I loved that player, I put everything I had into him.

Than one day I went to check on my hall of fame status while I was petting my dog or something stupid. I accidentally clicked one spot up, game automatically saves progress, Jackie Moon is retired from the NBA. It was one split second of minor attention to the dog in between playing a few quick games... and I can never play Jackie Moon again for the rest of my life ever.

I called the help line, not really panicked at first because I'm thinking "there has to be some go back/undo button. The guy was maybe done with his fourth season in the NBA, why the would this game think its his time to hang up the uniform." When I called them, first off she put me on hold only to come back and say she would email me later. Like 10 minutes later I get an email saying yeah there is nothing you can do, sorry about wasting you time for the last however many years.

This may seem like a very biased or even selfish review, but I cannot tell you how heartbroken I was. I honestly don't play a lot of video games... that was it, that's what I put my time into. I hoped one day when I went to visit my different roommates we could pull that game out and play Jackie Moon. Show my progress and see what progress they get and make it a thing. One slight slip of the finger and an instant later, Jackie Moon is a 24 year old retired NBA player...****.

Thinking about that even now is getting me a little seething, why would retire even be a ****ing option? Wouldn't everyone want to be a the greatest player of all time playing until 40 or whatever the max age, if not than they'll just stop ****ing playing the game. Also sorry about the recent flair in vulgarity, I'm not happy. If you enjoy playing this game than power to you and I hope you keep having fun. But this game broke my heart and I will never forgive it for that, I give it a 0
  47. Jan 10, 2012

1. More than an update, this is an overhaul. If you have even a passing interest in basketball, or love sports games, get this now. [Dec 2011, p82]
    Oozes basketball atmosphere in a way that we've never seen in any other sports game. 2K Sports have made a game that's difficult to pick up if you're still a basketball virgin, but once you've learned all the moves, there's plenty to explore in this entertaining and challenging release.
  3. The gigantic NBA stadiums are a delight to behold. It's an amazing feeling when you finish a fastbreak with a devastating slam dunk. The crowd goes absolutely wild, even the players on the bench have a little party. [Nov 2011, p.78]