7.9

1. Oct 12, 2012
    This is better than 2K12 but this has disappointed me almost as much.

This is better than 2K12 but this has disappointed me almost as much.

I have been a fan of 2K games since 2K7 and I have found that the games have improved every year up until 2K12 which was my least favorite in the series, I thought the gameplay was close to terrible and the removal of crew game and a few other modes ridiculous. I think of myself as a gamer, I also play amateur basketball and I'm a huge NBA fan, anyway let's get on with my review of 2K13.

The things I like about the game are the additions of the Allstar Weekend which is suprisingly good and the dunk contest was miles better than I expected. I also like the VC points system which means every game you play including against friends allows you to earn points which are used for a mode called MyTeam which is simlar to Ultimate team in Fifa, It is not as good as Ultimate team but is a great addtion to the 2K series. I like the new shot stick and signature skills which make the in game experience a fluid and less generic.

Things I don't like about the game, the first thing I don't like is the rebouding which a lot of people have complained about, basically players have a tendency to just gaze at the ball and watch it go out of bounds, also since when could 6'0 PG's beat Dwight Howard to a rebound. Anyway they are releasing an update for this which they always seem to do, I don't understand why don't they give the game to us when it's finished, personally I'd rather wait. Also the automatic game sliders are unrealistic as usual and after a roster update there are players they forgot to add to teams and players that are still still in the Free Agent pool that have retired or gone overseas.

The last major thing I dislike is the soundtrack, the news that Jay Z was going to do the soundtrack seemed like great news at first. What we get is Kayne West - Amazing which I personally don't like and it was on NBA 2K10, about 3 or 4 tracks I like and then the rest bored me after listening to them once or twice, there isn't much tracks and I thought someone like Jay Z had better taste in Hip Hop.

I would say get this game If you can't wait until next year as it will keep you entertained but being a huge basketball fan I feel let down, also the players ratings are terrible too. I think people who know about basketball should be hired and features like wingspan, leg length and more realistic customizaton.

2K9 - 80/100
    2K10 - 84/100
    2K11 - 92/100
    2K12 - 67/100
    2K13 - 83/100
  2. Oct 15, 2012
    I like this game I bet I will even more online but I have issues especially with the rebounding it is stupid bad I can't rebound consistently at all and it is frustrating. Also every player is an all star and can score too easily. And I never thought this game would be soo easy this year I set it on superstar and while I can still lose I usually beat the teams by twenty or more. Too manyI like this game I bet I will even more online but I have issues especially with the rebounding it is stupid bad I can't rebound consistently at all and it is frustrating. Also every player is an all star and can score too easily. And I never thought this game would be soo easy this year I set it on superstar and while I can still lose I usually beat the teams by twenty or more. Too many easy threes as well just use Ray Allen to test this theory. I really thought this game would be great they say they put the dribble move on the right stick ok that's true but its been that way for years they just reversed it. I play 2k for the association and it just isn't challenging enough to be that fun after the first few games. I like the prsentation but that doesn't matter after a few games either. I hope they patch the difficulty and the rebounding issues or I might give up on this one fun Yes good to show your friends but not really enough to keep me going all year. Sorry 2k you tried making this years edition for the casual gamer and you did it but you really screwed loyal fans that love a challenge. Online play is the only thing that can save this game for me. Hope the servers work I heard they do this year. Cmon guys patch this game and turn it back to what it was. Oh yeah and the soundtrack mostly sucks no one wants to hear you Jay Z!!!! Expand
  3. Oct 4, 2012
    NBA 2K had some good tradition, but this time it just goes down. Jay Z might have deep Basketball knowledge, but that doesn't mean that he can be a good managing director. User interface is really really bad (it never was the best in series, especially if we compare it to Fifa 13 or Football Manager). Each screen has very few menus which keeps you lost, the loading screens gets you nutsNBA 2K had some good tradition, but this time it just goes down. Jay Z might have deep Basketball knowledge, but that doesn't mean that he can be a good managing director. User interface is really really bad (it never was the best in series, especially if we compare it to Fifa 13 or Football Manager). Each screen has very few menus which keeps you lost, the loading screens gets you nuts and even the start of the game pushes you to fill a lot of information before you can play. Sorry I'm not here to fill my CV but to play basketball. One of the new features is that when you create your player you can pay credits and buy Adidas clothes, shoes and various other accessories. The more matches you play, the best for you to earn credits. That reminds me of Fifa 13 tactic with the Shop. Basically Konami started it with PES, and all the others followed.

In terms ot gameplay, NBA 2K13 does well. It has realistic defending (manual to be honest), shoots must have accuracy in jumping and counter-attacks by pressing the buttons corresponding to players are a good way to score. All rules are strictly applied like 3-second violation under the basket so pure realism here.

But in terms ot graphics NBA 2k13 gets a merely 7/10. Textures have a bad design, dynamic lighting doesn't even exist, physics might seem ok, but anti-aliasing is awful. Moreover, career mode gets boring due to the number of questions asked which need reply (and can't be avoid) among with events which can't be skipped, like the Draft event.

About Online, good news is that you can play without lag (especially one on one) with the well known online modes. That's one of the biggest tweaks this year. But in overall, NBA 2K13 fails to fullfil the needs of an experienced basketball players. It's more than an overall change to the "Jay Z pattern" then a serious change to the series.
  4. Oct 30, 2012
    NBA 2K13 does not reinvent the wheel, but is still the best basketball game out there. The presentaion has not changed much, except for the fact that Jay-Z is all over it. The gameplay made unnecessary changes moving the shooting from the analog stick to the square button. It is cool to play as the dream team and have them square off against the 2012 olympic team.
  5. Nov 10, 2012
    Nba 2k13 is better than 2k12; This game has improved graphics, new players, new teams, an improved net code and kept me on the game. From 2K11 I was not able to stay on the game i played it for a few days then gave up of boredom. If your a huge basketball fan its a must have. If you like basketball but not as much as others i would still recommend it. If you like sports games once again iNba 2k13 is better than 2k12; This game has improved graphics, new players, new teams, an improved net code and kept me on the game. From 2K11 I was not able to stay on the game i played it for a few days then gave up of boredom. If your a huge basketball fan its a must have. If you like basketball but not as much as others i would still recommend it. If you like sports games once again i recommend it. I do not really like the graphics for the PS3 version. I got it for the PS3 to play with friends, which i almost didn`t do because i thought the net code would really suck. but luckily it was improved and therefore my rating for the game improved. At the same time it disappointed ME, but my friends really enjoyed it. Expand
  6. Dec 26, 2012
    I haven't bought a game in this series since 2K11 and i must say this one was a HUGE let down. While the game keeps its core functionality the focus seems to have shifted to visual presentation in the menus and to the create a player mode. Graphic wise i was shocked at just how bad the textures appear compared to previous games in the series its far less clear and a bit muddy at times toI haven't bought a game in this series since 2K11 and i must say this one was a HUGE let down. While the game keeps its core functionality the focus seems to have shifted to visual presentation in the menus and to the create a player mode. Graphic wise i was shocked at just how bad the textures appear compared to previous games in the series its far less clear and a bit muddy at times to look at. The characters on screen look very plasticky and rubbery with a layer of gloss on their skin. In terms of gameplay not much has changed if your familiar with an NBA 2K game it's pretty much grab and go with some alternate control schemes being optional. One thing i dislike very much is the currency system you need it for almost everything and it is irritating because it feels out of place in a sports game and more at home in an RPG or and adventure game. Overall a decent game but i feel like it falls short in several areas that it shouldn't but if you a hardcore fan of the series some of these shortcomings may be worth it in the long run to you. Expand
  7. Dec 21, 2012
    Having played NBA 2K11 until I wore my disc out, I was really looking forward to the latest incarnation. I did try 2K12 and was sorely disappointed by the anemic game play. In that respect, 2K13 does not disappoint. Forget about skill points and VC. Your elite MyPlayer which you painstakingly took time to build/max out, will still fatigue by the third quarter (despite purchasing a uselessHaving played NBA 2K11 until I wore my disc out, I was really looking forward to the latest incarnation. I did try 2K12 and was sorely disappointed by the anemic game play. In that respect, 2K13 does not disappoint. Forget about skill points and VC. Your elite MyPlayer which you painstakingly took time to build/max out, will still fatigue by the third quarter (despite purchasing a useless "Gatorade Pack." Your ferocious dunks will look like anything you'll see at a pick-up game. If you have a 99 speed rating and run out on a fast-break, a center or power forward will chase you down. If you're up by 20 midway through the fourth quarter, your team will collectively have amnesia and forget how to pass, shoot and play defense. I'm assuming this is to balance the game or add drama? Graphics are awful, plain and simple. Don't believe me? Pop in a copy of 2K11 and be stunned by the difference. Not only does it look better, it plays smoother, feels more natural and is just plain better. 2K13 graphics are washed out, amateurish garbage. Look at a dunking player and please explain how the person who designed that animation, still has a job. There are some added features that I love (social media, better commentary) and some I didn't (The music selection. VC? Really? I see EA has taken over). Bugs from 2K11 are still in 2K13. How does that happen? The All-Star Voting bug is still there after two iterations. Laughable.

I will look elsewhere for a solid NBA game next year.

1. Nov 27, 2012
    Physical, fast and brutal. [Issue#224, p.82]
  2. It makes you feel more of a baller than wearing shades indoors. [Dec 2012, p.110]
  3. This year it isn't just about your basketball skills, it's also about how popular you can become. A Twitter feed will let you know what fans are saying about your last game and you can capture some hearts by showing up at charity events. [November 2012, p.74]