7.2

1. Oct 20, 2011
    This game really brought me back to the 16 bit days, when performing high altitude dunks meant something than just winning the game.
    This game is a much needed break from regular sport titles that try to be too simulation-like, and offers an altenative to when having fun can come from just about anything and anywhere.
    I was going to purchase the Wii version, but when I heard this title
    would be coming out, I waited to see just what it actually includes, in case it wasn't just a nerfed version of the retail copy.
    First, this game doesn't have the "Remix Mode" or boss battles that the retail version does. However this one is only $15 and includes; enhanced gameplay, better AI, improved online features, XP, unlockables, and challenges, and improved rosters.
    This game provides hours and hours or fantastic gameplay, audio, and more. Playing the game with co-op is even better imo, because you can pull off ridiculous moves and unlock tons of content.
    One main reason I see people picking up this version is for the better online. Out of the many games I played, I think I only had like 2-3 that were laggy. Even if you play offline games, you will still be able to earn xp, purchase teams, players, and other stuff, and get the whole experience, minus a few "Arena" challenges.
    Overall, this game is well worth the price to play it, and if the game has DLC or updates down the road, I probably would have no problem paying for those as well. Yes the people who bought the retail version might feel a little bit ripped off, but I urge anyone familiar with NBA Jam or any arcade sports games to give it a shot.
    I'm rating this game a 9/10. As it is very close to being perfect. The reason it's not a 10 is because they removed the "Remix Mode" and boss battles, which imo would have added even more gameplay and hours to the game.
  2. Oct 21, 2011
    I can't remember when I had this much fun with a bball game. oh, wait, I can: genesis/megadrive era. not only does this game clear up some of the minor concerns of its parent property, it is also a strong contender for the most fun I've had with a sports title. oh, and It's incredible value. must have.
  3. Nov 8, 2011
    If you have fond memories of playing the original NBA Jam in the arcades, or on SNES, then there really is no reason for you to pass this one up. Updated rosters and graphics, but the game play remains the same. It's the same past paced, over-the-top game it has always been. It has withstood the test of time and emerged as good as it ever was.
  4. Nov 13, 2011
    This is the first NBA game I've played since the Super Nintendo and it's brilliant.
    I'm not much of a sports game fan, but this game is soooo adictive, I just keep coming back to it again and again.
    Love it!

1. On Fire is a substantial update to an already excellent game, adding a considerable selection of new features, modes, and unlockables that – taken as a whole – make this the definitive version of NBA Jam. [Dec 2011, p79]
  2. Good news for the pyromaniacs: this On Fire Edition of NBA Jam is a lot better than the Wii-port that was released a while back. This remake offers great value and is a great tribute to the 16 bit-classic. [Nov 2011, p.98]
  3. An evolution of last year's game rather than an overhaul. [Christmas 2011, p.109]