7.3

1. Nov 18, 2010
    most boring nfs game i have played. getting a new car doesn't feel like a reward as you get it after every track and the characteristics of each car are bearly there. you cant set it to manuel and drifting is automated almost. the carrier feels so shallow and there is no depth at all to your carrier. only thing left is graphics and the cinametics in crashes are a fun feature. the menu andmost boring nfs game i have played. getting a new car doesn't feel like a reward as you get it after every track and the characteristics of each car are bearly there. you cant set it to manuel and drifting is automated almost. the carrier feels so shallow and there is no depth at all to your carrier. only thing left is graphics and the cinametics in crashes are a fun feature. the menu and videos that you cant skip is **** Expand
  2. Nov 22, 2011
    Horrible controls and a rubber band AI. Two things that are intolerable in a racing game. Sure the graphics are nice, the autolog-functionality is quite nice and the cars look beautiful, but overall it was just a shame, that Criterion is about to loose it's core fans because of such an unbalanced game.
  3. Nov 2, 2012
    This game was very disappointing. I hoped that EA DICE and Criterion would make a comeback, but sadly NO!! (Burnout paradise was crap, but I gave Criterion a second chance, but no.. this game still suck).. Good:
  4. Sep 10, 2012
    Great to look at, but it ends there. The handling for every car is HORRIBLE. As others have mentioned, there is no change from a Lambo to a Crown Vic. It is so INFURIATINGLY sluggish to drive every car and that really sucks for a game that requires quick reflexes and precision driving technique. I have never been more irritated by a game. I bought it yesterday and it's going back today. BLEH!
  5. May 18, 2012
    I'm a little biased, as I believe racing games are the biggest ripoffs for gaming systems. But decided to take a chance, and boy was it a bad one. I hate how you can disable a car by ramming it; really? All i did was have my finger on r2 and left analog stick, boring. The funny thing is that I could play racing mode online on GTA 4, and have more fun than this game. Had this game for aI'm a little biased, as I believe racing games are the biggest ripoffs for gaming systems. But decided to take a chance, and boy was it a bad one. I hate how you can disable a car by ramming it; really? All i did was have my finger on r2 and left analog stick, boring. The funny thing is that I could play racing mode online on GTA 4, and have more fun than this game. Had this game for a day, just to give it a chance, but had to return it. Expand
  6. Dec 5, 2010
    No Logitech controller support for racing wheels. If I had known this prior to buying I would not have bothered picking it up. Sad. Somehow EA has racing wheel support for Shift and Burnout had it but this doesn't?
  7. Nov 29, 2010
    I am extremely DISAPPOINTED. NO WHEEL SUPPORT OR MANUAL TRANSMISSION! I only have a few positives. The scenery, the cars, and the graphics. Other than that FAIL! I am not pleased with the handling either. Racing games these days are supposed to be realistic and I have never seen a Bugatti Veyron drift around a corner at 150 MPH like it was on autopilot. One tap of the break (on myI am extremely DISAPPOINTED. NO WHEEL SUPPORT OR MANUAL TRANSMISSION! I only have a few positives. The scenery, the cars, and the graphics. Other than that FAIL! I am not pleased with the handling either. Racing games these days are supposed to be realistic and I have never seen a Bugatti Veyron drift around a corner at 150 MPH like it was on autopilot. One tap of the break (on my controller,not my wheel!) and i can whip any car around a corner with ease. Also when I am in being chased by the cops or chasing as a cop the car that hits the spike strip is only affected for a few seconds and then magically has inflated tires again as if nothing happened. Bring back the real pursuits like most wanted where you ran from the 5-0 for hours and as you got further in the pursuit tougher cars were on your tail and if you hit a spike strip which could be set up at a roadblock not just dropped out of your car you tires went flat and you were screwed unless you found somewhere to hide. This game goes back tomorrow and won't be bought again until I hear that these at least the wheel support has been added. Criterion get your heads straight I know that racing game developers are extremely competitive with each other so if you want to even come anywhere near Gran Turismo 5 or Test Drive Unlimited 1 or 2 I suggest that you get to work on this stuff FAST! I have owned or played every single need for speed title and have never returned one until this. Either make these features available as downloadable add ons or provide a tradeable copy. Until then this game won't be sitting on my shelf of need for speed collections. FIX THIS FAST!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  8. Dec 6, 2010
    Negative negative, negative... Simply because the creators did not take the time to add support for ffb steering wheels... If they had put this on the packaging that the game does not support ffb steering wheels, then I would never have purchased it... I have been cheated... A CAR GAME WITHOUT FFB WHEEL SUPPORT???
  9. Dec 27, 2010
    i have loved every nfs game i have ever played except for this game. hot pursuit is a mix of the burnout games and the need for speed games, they are good by themselves but they don't go well if they are mixed. i was surprised to see no car customisation from an nfs game and the cars are way too easy to get, i managed to get a car in almost every event. the steering is so easy that ii have loved every nfs game i have ever played except for this game. hot pursuit is a mix of the burnout games and the need for speed games, they are good by themselves but they don't go well if they are mixed. i was surprised to see no car customisation from an nfs game and the cars are way too easy to get, i managed to get a car in almost every event. the steering is so easy that i managed to finish most of the races in top speed. i would have given it a higher mark if they bothered to put a storyline in there like on most other need for speed games.not a great game but also not the worst game i have played. Expand
  10. Dec 29, 2010
    So, this isn't much a critic about the game itself, but for what seems to be a massive cover up of the industry. Not even a single negative Critic Review, by the time I'm writing this. While we have 24 negative user reviews (almost 50% of the positive), we do not have any single negative critic review. Well, that show us something. Should we trust more and more in us, users, than in the industry?
  11. May 3, 2011
    It is very rare that I find myself actually angered by a game, but what EA has done with this one has more than earned my ire. Before I could even begin playing, I encountered a several-minutes-long unskippable ad for another game, which prevented me from just getting in and starting playing--a bad sign of worse things to come, but deserves a mention all its own, because when someone paysIt is very rare that I find myself actually angered by a game, but what EA has done with this one has more than earned my ire. Before I could even begin playing, I encountered a several-minutes-long unskippable ad for another game, which prevented me from just getting in and starting playing--a bad sign of worse things to come, but deserves a mention all its own, because when someone pays to play a game, they're NOT paying to watch ads. If a publisher is going to force their customers to watch ads, then the game should be free. So for respect for customers, this game scores a 0.

An online login is required for the offline single-player campaign, as if I didn't have enough logins without legitimate uses cluttering up my password wallet, and if you lose your internet connection while playing, the campaign menu will fail to load. This is the most unacceptable variety of DRM, so in this category, the game scores a 0.

The gameplay and mechanics are clunky and unintuitive. EA boasts that future NFS games will use the same engine as Battlefield 3. Newsflash: no game engine can possibly be ideal for both racing games, AND FPS games. This is a big part of the problem with EA's approach to game development, and it really shows. Instead of intelligent AI opponents, we have rubber-band racers, which will teleport ahead or behind you if they fall too far behind, run off the road, crash, or otherwise are boxed in and immobilized. Yes, this includes suspects when you're playing hot pursuit mode, so, all you will accomplish by doing the intelligent thing and pinning a suspect to a barrier, is allow them to escape by teleporting back into the middle of the road and speeding off. Contrary to the instructions given right in the game, the ONLY way to stop a suspect is to total their car with full-contact juggling. Spike strips do not damage tires or slow them down, and your opponents can absorb stupid amounts of damage like being struck against a barrier at 200MPH. The teleportation thing gets really out of hand at times, and you can actually watch them jump around in your rear view mirror or ahead of you on the road, or, of course, from between your front bumper and the guardrail you have them pinned against. Hitting the nitro causes your opponents to speed up, and they can go far faster than the top speed of their respective cars in the interest of pissing you off. Drifting is the fastest way to go around a corner... whose idea was this, anyway? FWD, AWD and RWD cars all drift the same.. in fact, all cars handle equally on the road for the most part overall, and the car selection is drab and boring, despite the number of exotics to choose from. In fact, most of the exotic pursuit cars are only available for special "time trial" stages, and not for pursuit at all... there's a distinct shortage of fun and engaging multi-car racing and pursuit stages in this game, so they really should have just called it "Need For Speed: Boring Arcadey Racing Game" So, for game mechanics, AI, and all around fun, this game scores a 0.

I'm just going to stop here, because I really have nothing nice to say about this game. Sure, the graphics are passable, but if you really care about that, you should be playing Crysis or some other sandbox tech demo. I'd promised myself in the past I would never buy another EA game again, and I should have kept that promise, as this is just another reminder as to why. I picked this game up for $15 on steam, and I really wish I could just have my money back.

Don't buy it. Don't even rent it. It's not worth it.
  12. Nov 22, 2010
    wow.. EA... really?! This is the crap you put out? After Shift injected some much needed hope into your NFS franchise, you come out with this polished dog turd?

The majority of my angst come from the fact that this game has NO native support for ANY of the major manufacturers wheels. REALLY? No Logitech G25 or G27 support? Way to make a big boy game.. I'm sure your competitors don't support wheels either.. oh wait.. yea, they do. I would have returned this game the second I discovered that there was no wheel support, but it was to late.

Guess we'll all just have to play GT5 till Shift 2 comes out, and hope EA doesn't drop the ball AGAIN. =/
  13. Nov 25, 2010
    This is the most unrealistic game I have ever played. It's just so fake and repetitive. The soundtrack is horrible and there's nothing to do in Free ride. The cars are not customizable and there are only 3 online game modes. You can only have 2 dreamshots in your photo gallery, Which is garbage. Go pick up Gran Turismo 5 if you're an adult gamer.
  14. Nov 23, 2010
    DOES NOT WORK WITH ANY LOGITECH RACING WHEEL FOR PS3, wtf why are we going backwards in time here??? I bought this game expecting to enjoy it on my G27 wheel, which btw all previous NFS games worked with... Now since its open I cant return it. They said they are working on it, but we know how EA is...we wont see a fix for this for months...i spend $59 on this game, by the time its playableDOES NOT WORK WITH ANY LOGITECH RACING WHEEL FOR PS3, wtf why are we going backwards in time here??? I bought this game expecting to enjoy it on my G27 wheel, which btw all previous NFS games worked with... Now since its open I cant return it. They said they are working on it, but we know how EA is...we wont see a fix for this for months...i spend $59 on this game, by the time its playable for me it will be at gamestop for less than 30... I should of saved my money for GT5 Expand
  15. Nov 21, 2010
    This is a BAD game. Graphically it looks nice. The good points end there. As for the bad, the list is long ... Poor controls, poor handling, over the top soundtrack, more Burnout that NFS, repetitive races, not enough of the cops and robbers theme, tough (frustrating) time trails, crap power ups that are hit or miss, hardly any replay features, no real rewards except new cars, etcThis is a BAD game. Graphically it looks nice. The good points end there. As for the bad, the list is long ... Poor controls, poor handling, over the top soundtrack, more Burnout that NFS, repetitive races, not enough of the cops and robbers theme, tough (frustrating) time trails, crap power ups that are hit or miss, hardly any replay features, no real rewards except new cars, etc

Allegedly there was two years of development into this game. Really???

I traded this in for Assassin Creed Brotherhood this afternoon. I lost £10 in trade in cost but it was worth it as I couldn't see myself playing it again.
  16. Nov 23, 2010
    The game looks fun, but, at the time of this writing, there is no Logitech controller support nor is there manual transmission support.

This makes, what could be a fun game, frustrating. I find the hand held controller too sensitive or not enough. When I turn, it doesn't turn right away or, more often, it turns too much. Mind you, i'm used to using a wheel, not controller, for racing games so your mileage may vary (excuse the poor pun).

That said, there are irksome things I've found, but having spent about 4 hours, I've had enough. I'd take it back if I could.

If you use Logitech steering wheels and have a PS/3, I'd stay away. GT5 comes out tomorrow (yay!!!) and it may not be the best, but it should be a far sight better than this game.

EA is trending toward mediocrity, and this game is no exception. This is why there is no NCAA basketball, or baseball, etc... People won't buy poorly created games. At least I'd like to think so.
  17. Nov 19, 2010
    I just tried playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and I have to say I'm exceedingly disappointed and very upset. I've enjoyed previous Need for Speed titles and have enjoyed them immensely. Today I purchased this new one, brought it home, plugged it in, sat in front of my Logitech Wheel and realized that I CANNOT PLAY THE GAME! It Does NOT support Logitech Wheels ... enough said. Taking itI just tried playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and I have to say I'm exceedingly disappointed and very upset. I've enjoyed previous Need for Speed titles and have enjoyed them immensely. Today I purchased this new one, brought it home, plugged it in, sat in front of my Logitech Wheel and realized that I CANNOT PLAY THE GAME! It Does NOT support Logitech Wheels ... enough said. Taking it back to the store in the morning. Expand
  18. Nov 23, 2010
    Bad - No steering wheel support. No manual tranny. Not for driving enthusiasts. Only enjoyed the music. ok if you enjoy very arcadish driving games. 150 words? hmmmm hmmmmm hmmmmm. really can't think of that much to review here. returned the game after 3 days.

save your $ for GT5
  19. Nov 21, 2010
    Allow me to explain my score of 0; I purchased this game and was very excited to play. Pop it in get my racing chair rig setup, but no response?? Is my G27 broken?! Nope....attention everyone: Companies are making driving/racing games in 2010 that do not support steering wheels. Let me repeat that, as I know how ridiculous that sounds: This game does not support steering wheels. Now,Allow me to explain my score of 0; I purchased this game and was very excited to play. Pop it in get my racing chair rig setup, but no response?? Is my G27 broken?! Nope....attention everyone: Companies are making driving/racing games in 2010 that do not support steering wheels. Let me repeat that, as I know how ridiculous that sounds: This game does not support steering wheels. Now, I have no idea whether this game is good or not, but this is for everyone that has a wheel that is thinking of getting this game. I guess you can no longer make the assumption that a driving/racing game will support steering wheels....thanks EA/Criterion. Expand
  20. Nov 18, 2010
    All the cars drive the same, there is next to no difference between a Lancer and a supercar lol...drifting is basically forced...no manual...not to mention this game was cool 10 years ago but has hardly changed. The only new feature is something we've seen a hundred times in other games...adding emp and spike strip, so on and so forth...yaaaaaay...I agree with st0rmur, this game isAll the cars drive the same, there is next to no difference between a Lancer and a supercar lol...drifting is basically forced...no manual...not to mention this game was cool 10 years ago but has hardly changed. The only new feature is something we've seen a hundred times in other games...adding emp and spike strip, so on and so forth...yaaaaaay...I agree with st0rmur, this game is incredibly boring and goes down as another crap racing title in the NFS franchise. Don't get me wrong, I used to love the NFS series up until pro street...it's been going downhill at an alarming rate ever since. I gave one point for graphics, one point for sound and one point for trying. Sorry if I sound negative, but I continually get excited for this series to rebound and they continually let me down...oh well, maybe next time! lol. Expand
  21. Nov 22, 2010
    This game was actually very fun for 2 days while I was able to play online using the online pass trial. Unfortunately I haven't been able to enter my code for the last 5 days because their registration system is down and the 2 day trial has expired. It won't even let me buy an online pass, which I tried to do even though I have one.
    I'm willing to overlook the fact that this is basically a
    I'm willing to overlook the fact that this is basically a mod of burnout with very few differences between the cars and very repetitive gameplay. I'm also willing to overlook EA's greed with this whole online pass thing, but when I buy an expensive new game and I can't play it because their system isn't working there is something wrong.
    I would have given this game an 8 and recommended it to friends, but really without the online mode this game is not that great, and since you might not be able to sign in because their online pass system is unreliable what's the point.
  22. Nov 23, 2010
    Gameplay: 4/5

Very fun and reminiscent of NFS: Hot Pursuit on the PS2. The Autolog provides a nice social integration to the racing world and the re-addition of playing as a cop puts the icing on the cake. It receives 4/5 mainly because the race types is repetitious (but still fun). Graphics: 5/5 As far as racing games go, gorgeous. Nice scenery and great looking rides. For those of you
    Gameplay: 4/5

Graphics: 5/5

As far as racing games go, gorgeous. Nice scenery and great looking rides. For those of you who think GT5 looks better, you're right I give GT5 6/5.

Sound: 4/5

The sound effects are awesome and more realistic that previous iterations (mainly the tire screeches). I haven't sampled enough of the soundtrack to comment on it.

Other: -13/5

If you were hoping to play with a racing wheel setup on PS3 then you're screwed. EA/Criterion have taken the liberty to support a few wheels with the major exception of the OFFICIAL PS3 wheel, aka anything Logitech which includes the awesome Driving Force series (G25, G27, GT, Pro). They company "claims" they will implement support for those wheels with no ETA.

Conclusion: 0/10

If you like or dont mind playing with a controller like me, its a title worth picking up. If you were hoping to play with a realistic driving wheel (also like me), skip this title and get Gran Tursimo 5 (GT5).
  23. Jul 21, 2016
    THIS GAME SUCKS , You cant change the controls and the handling sucks to and the breaks are not good enough either , all games got this way cuz **** , ever since **** obama got into office things got worst , **** YOU **** DIE.
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    I was disappointed with this game at first and still kinda am. The nfs series has been going down and this isn't an exception. You will like this game if you can imagine yourself driving around in car commercial's environments, if you're a car fanatic and like a decent cop chase. You won't if you expect a game with a story and customization, because there is none. Not a bad game, butI was disappointed with this game at first and still kinda am. The nfs series has been going down and this isn't an exception. You will like this game if you can imagine yourself driving around in car commercial's environments, if you're a car fanatic and like a decent cop chase. You won't if you expect a game with a story and customization, because there is none. Not a bad game, but definetely not my game. Expand

1. Feb 23, 2011
    Hot Pursuit is not the most feature-rich, realistic, or deep racing title available, but it certainly is one of the most exciting and enjoyable ones.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jan 25, 2011
    We suspect that last year's excellent Shift didn't make as much of an impact as EA anticipated. That semi-serious sim has given way to a positively Burnout inspired iteration that liberally takes the better bits of old NFS titles and makes this gorgeous fast paced treat. [January 2011 p70]
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit reminds me of the first part of the assassin's creed-series. In general, the game is great, but it's missing variety and long-time motivation. Especially the number of time trials shouldn't have been this high. Races and pursuits are much more fun. The small amount of about 100 cars doesn't really matter, because all of them were done well, although some them have only 300 PS. Altogether, it's a great action-racing-game, but there is maybe more potential for Hot Pursuit 2.