5.8

1. Oct 30, 2012
    Been playing this for a few hours now and I like the vast majority of the game thus far. The graphics are very nice and the cars look perfect. Most Wanted 2.0 also has many more cars and a more interesting variety, which is awesome. The take-down system from the Burnout games is well implemented and makes racing much more interesting. The streamlined menus are easily accessed from theBeen playing this for a few hours now and I like the vast majority of the game thus far. The graphics are very nice and the cars look perfect. Most Wanted 2.0 also has many more cars and a more interesting variety, which is awesome. The take-down system from the Burnout games is well implemented and makes racing much more interesting. The streamlined menus are easily accessed from the D-Pad for swapping cars, parts, and managing events. However, Criterion's makeover falls short in a few disappointing ways for me, in no particular order: 1) No manual transmission!?!?! That was one of the few pieces of enjoyment I got from racing games, being able to downshift in anticipation of turns and having the added challenge keeps every race fresh; not in this game though. 2) No customization. Basically a cornerstone of NFS was the customization. You can't even pick the color you want it in this one... (aside from zipping through a drivethrough to repair and recolor it randomly). You unlock part upgrades by getting 2nd or 1st in a race and there's basically 2 options per part and allow you to tweak the stats slightly and get a pro-version of that part for completing certain challenges. That's it. No performance dymo, no tuning, just plug and play. 3) No car progression. What I mean by this is you don't save up for that special car you've had your eye on and then make it your own in this game. (In fact there's no currency at all.) You get 5 events to do with each car and then its essentially done, and you move onto the next car and rinse and repeat. That was something I (and I think a lot of people) really enjoyed doing in NFS games was building your baby from the beginning. Sure you might go through 3 or 4 cars on a play-through but you always had that goal to go for. Without being able to progress a car like in NFS Underground 1 and 2 and Most Wanted 1.0 it really takes away from the game by making it too much like the Burnout's. 4) There is no consequence for getting Busted. As you may remember from NFS Most Wanted 1.0, if you go busted you had some options. Using the tokens you got from Blacklist members to get out of jail free or add impound strikes could save you from paying those hefty fines which increased the more mayhem you caused. In this, you go back to the police station. That's it. No money in the game for them to take away, no way to lose your car. Just go back three spaces. Really makes pursuits completely pointless by doing it this way. Just finish a race with cops on you? Just stop and save yourself 5 minutes of trying to evade, it doesn't make a difference if you evade or get caught; sad but true. 5) In NFS: MW 1.0 they had a plot for us for why we were trying to go back up the Blacklist and had some little plot twists and deception going on which was a nice touch. Here in 2.0, the nice lady voice tells you about the list and that you should be #1 and to have fun. I'm not sure what I would ask from Criterion in this department...but it just feels like they should have done...something. *** IN SUMMARY, this doesn't feel like a NFS game as much it feels like a Burnout game and while the game does a lot of things right and it would play fine for a game on its own merits, this just doesn't live up to the original. If anything I just want to play the first one more now, but give it a go and try it for yourself. It's not a bad game by any means just not as good as it could have been by keeping the core and building around it, instead of trying to smash two franchises together in a somewhat disappointing way to both NFS and Burnout fans. Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    This is the review to explain all the other reviews! Perhaps my background might help you judge how valuable this review is. I am a huge NFS fan, and I have been playing it since Porsche Unleashed, before the first Hot Pursuit. I have not played every NFS game because many have been duds. I am not a huge fan of sim-racing, I do prefer arcade racing, so Burnout: Paradise was one of myThis is the review to explain all the other reviews! Perhaps my background might help you judge how valuable this review is. I am a huge NFS fan, and I have been playing it since Porsche Unleashed, before the first Hot Pursuit. I have not played every NFS game because many have been duds. I am not a huge fan of sim-racing, I do prefer arcade racing, so Burnout: Paradise was one of my favorite driving games to date. Hopefully that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from.

The original Most Wanted was one of my favorite NFS games that I ever played. I could tell early on that this was not a successor to that in so many ways. For example, no interactive environment. You might remember the original MW had police chase breakers, where you could drive into areas on your map listed with a triangle and it would slow down cops by a giant plastic donut dropping from a restaurant logo, or perhaps a gas station blowing up. Well, nothing like that here.

I wouldn't say that the police chases are non-consequential as others have said, but they're nearly non-consequential. They exist merely to entertain and/or irritate. The cars handle reasonably well, although still not as arcadey as they did in Burnout: Paradise, and they don't have a wealth of difference between them all, other than the feeling of weight, and of course: speed.

So why the sharp difference in reviews? Perhaps some felt that this would revive the NFS franchise after The Run? It certainly won't do that. While it doesn't have a clunky narrative that gets in the way like The Run, it doesn't have... anything. Any story at all. Yes, I know this is Criterion and they never promised a story, etc. But it does feel sorely missing, especially in a game called Most Wanted where they took a game with a decent (albeit cheesy) story and attempted to remake it. So for fans that are looking for a reboot for NFS, it sadly does not start here.

What about for those looking for the successor of Most Wanted? Again, no! This is not it. Most Wanted (the original) was a really great game. You jumped in, and you felt part of the game. The story held it all together, and the cop chases were great. You really were interested in lowering your heat level, or driving around for 10 minutes to find a pursuit breaker and then a cool-down spot, only to be detected at the last minute. Paying huge fines or customizing your car really made you feel like your character... you were invested! There was gain and loss, so winning felt like success, not simply the "next step". In short: there is none of that here. No customization, which personally I can live with in Burnout, but it doesn't fly here! The single-player campaign which was so exhilarating in MW (original) barely exists here. While they matched the joy of simply driving around and taking in the sights, not much else meets the 7-year old marker left by the original, which is sad given the age difference between the two products. Junior should be beating up the dad, but it just doesn't happen.

So then, that leaves us with one last group of people... the group of people I fall into: people looking for a spiritual successor to Burnout Paradise. Before even buying the game I knew all of the above. None of that surprises me... but I was looking for the next Burnout Paradise. Even after 100 solid hours of gameplay on Burnout Paradise to get all your trophies, etc, you still had a lengthy online play-life because helping others complete their challenges or stunt runs with new challengers was always a joy. Hell, it still is! And now Criterion are coming out with a brand new game where they've focused EVEN MORE energy into multiplayer. Sign me up, amirite?!? Well - multiplayer has some advantages here and some disadvantages. Advantages is that competition is drummed up much more through results being everywhere, and of course the famed billboard pics. This is great - perhaps it would be more great if I played online with my known friends, but since I play online more with random people it doesn't pack the same punch. Be that as it may, online multiplayer is where this game is at... although without the longevity of challenges stunt runs and gameplay elements like this, I can't see it matching Paradise for long. It should be noted that MW doesn't have individual Freeburn challenges like in Paradise either, but speed lists which are a lot more clunky, and frustrating should people drop out. No more 1 minute challenges... you're signing up for 10 - 20 minutes each time.

So, why the vast difference in reviews? Perhaps someone was expecting one of the above scenarios to be true. The fact is, this isn't a turning point for NFS, it's not a better game than Most Wanted (original) and it's not better than Paradise. Still, the amalgum here is still good in it's own right. Great graphics, new challenges online, fun competition, but still: an overwhelming missed opportunity. See Praxiss review for everything I couldn't write here!
  3. Nov 3, 2012
    The biggest mistake I made going into this game is making the presumption that this would be a Need For Speed game. I also foolishly presumed it would be in the same vein as its namesake, the 2005 hit Need For Speed: Most Wanted. I'd like to start by first listing a few things that game had that made it so appealing.

-A storyline that was illustrated through both CGI and live action

-A storyline that was illustrated through both CGI and live action cinematics, text messages and voicemails.
    -Characterisation of adversaries that provided incentive.
    -Unscripted police presence and chases during races.
    -Unique and inventive racing modes.
    -Varied destructible environments including vivid large-scale props to break up police chases.
    -A well balanced currency system.
    -A stripped down (compared to Underground 2) but still highly in-depth customisation system that included car performance, visual alterations and body modification.
    -An ongoing heat system that related to specific cars in a realistic manner.
    -Easy access to in-depth chase records.
    -Clear, relevant and varied police chatter.
    -A wide range of police tactics and vehicles.
    -Excellent AI scaling.
    -Repercussions from getting BUSTED.
    -A prologue that adequately explains game mechanics and allows players to trial as they are eased into free roam gameplay.
    -A city that felt varied, inspired and easy to navigate.
    -A sensical GPS system that allowed instant and easy navigation.
    -A choice between automatic and manual.
    -A small degree of music player customisation.

Go into Critereon's Most Wanted knowing that it has none of this. What you're getting is a bland and decidedly dated feeling free roaming racer. It follows mechanics more akin to Burnout than NFS. This isn't a huge problem, but it is so grating when expecting a different franchise. The city is uninspired, more like something from a GTA-knock off than one of the beautiful cities from Carbon, Most Wanted or even Underground 2. They have stripped back any customisation in all facets to nil for the bro audience. Their alternative is drive-through repair shops (much like the Pay 'n' Spray spots in earlier GTAs) which choose a new car colour for you and repair the small visible damage.
    Most of your time between races is spent eliminating 'collectibles'. These are repetitive billboards and fences half-assedly hidden around the boxed in game world. What's more, the billboards all promote EA and its bought companies. They couldn't even bother creating fictional in-game companies and the few little sparks of character around the world are repeated to the point of mundanity. Seeing 'FML' on a building isn't funny the first time, it won't be the next hundred times either.

The visuals are good if not at the level expected of a 2012 game but the load times will remind you of how far this game stretches to meet these standards. The cars handle like cartoon vehicles, more like Mario Kart handling than anything NFS have done previously and players will suffer from bizarre unpredictabilities in the nuances of turning corners that the rival racer AI (which never seems to change) never suffer. The police chases are awful. Easy and unvaried. The time it takes to build heat (which resets every time a pursuit ends) is not worth it just to get into a fulfilling chase.

What really hurts this game is a lack of story. I know that, as a racing game it's not required, but what replaces it is a weak, tinny intro speech that tells you nothing before you're thrown into your first car. After this point, you can do whatever you want. Some people may like the sound of this, but keep in mind doing 'what you want' involves either finding another insta-gain car, smashing one of four possible environment props, entering a chase, or racing in one of the three staple racing modes (time trial, sprint and circuit. yawn). This is fun, don't get me wrong, but for three hours. You have no incentive to race the 10 cars on the Most Wanted list (a pale impression of 2005's MW Blacklist which involved characters with visually unique vehicles) other than to collect another car that feels almost no different and can't be customised to look any differently to the rest.

The game fails on some very basic mechanics too. Terrible mini-map system, difficult navigation in and out of races (you will lose so many races because there is NO INDICATION to turn unless it's extra unclear in which case the devs popped in a little band-aid arrow border) and the GPS doesn't help at all. You cannot even choose between automatic and manual. It's automatic all the way with uncustomisable music so you can nod your head to 2009's top 20 bro-tunes while you bro-steer through a cardboard cutout environment.

In short, this game isn't worth your money. It's about $30 worth of solid fun and there's still something to be said there. This game isn't entirely awful, but it's unfinished and there's no reason to have ever called it NFS or MW. It feels like false advertising.
  4. Nov 2, 2012
    I have the X-box 360 version. It runs smoothly and looks good. The main problem with the game is that it doesn't live up to its name. I am a Most Wanted 2005 fan. And this game misses the mix of basic elements that made that game so much fun.
    It does have an open world and cops, but that's all. It misses the story line, cheesy but fun cut scenes with the funny characters, the sense o achievement, the pimping of your ride, the building of you car collection, and the general sense of building up your rep. Most Wanted 2005 had an open world but also well defined goals. This game misses all that. But most of all it doesn't suck you in like the original.

I would have given it a 7 if it wasn't called "Most Wanted" but because it's false advertising I give it a 6.
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    This is not Need for Speed. They should named it Burnout. It has nothing to do with the old NFS Most Wanted. It feels like that even the police is just in the game so they could named it Most Wanted. If you get busted you dont looe any money, nothing, no consequencces for getting busted. The game has good graphics and nice sounds. If you play it without thinking that this is a NFS game,This is not Need for Speed. They should named it Burnout. It has nothing to do with the old NFS Most Wanted. It feels like that even the police is just in the game so they could named it Most Wanted. If you get busted you dont looe any money, nothing, no consequencces for getting busted. The game has good graphics and nice sounds. If you play it without thinking that this is a NFS game, its pretty good and fun to play. So finally, the game itself would be a good sequel for Burnout Paradise but because they had to name it NFS Most Wanted, which has nothing to do with the old Most Wanted or even with any NFS this game isn't worth to buy. Expand
  6. Nov 2, 2012
    OK. I wasn't signed up for this site and I only went on it for the first time today. I only signed up because i was angry at some of these scores and feel I should write my honest review. Some of these reviews are ridiculous, the amount of 1/10s and 0/10s given to this game are beyond stupid. This game, after playing several hours, is a new concept from the starting from scratch type ofOK. I wasn't signed up for this site and I only went on it for the first time today. I only signed up because i was angry at some of these scores and feel I should write my honest review. Some of these reviews are ridiculous, the amount of 1/10s and 0/10s given to this game are beyond stupid. This game, after playing several hours, is a new concept from the starting from scratch type of storyline given with most racers. For me, that is a relief. I love driving around in the best of the best cars, and searching for them all over the map is sooo rewarding. The scenery of the city is amazing, a massive improvement to previous need for speeds, with graphics being just as impressive. The car handling starts off difficult, however unlocking new parts help to eventually turn your favourite car into drift king, being able to do maneuvers which leaves you in awe. The most wanted list brings back memories from the old most wanted, which was my favourite racer of all time, being able to wipe out the most wanted list members and take their car to eventually become the number 1. However, I would understand why people may dislike this game due to not being able to customise the car as much as in the previous games. But not for me, the slick glossy colours of the cars look so sweet I coudn't care less if I don't have some kind of dragon on it. Actually, it probably would ruin it. An issue I did have with the game was the amount of cop cars. They are everywhere. Starting a pursuit by hitting a cop is easy, and could come annoying. But that's not a problem for me, because I love cop chases. Unfortunately, they took away the crashing objects to take out the cops, which i did enjoy. It does however make the pursuits more challenging.

Overall, I am really happy with this game and am enjoying it, however it doesn't quite live up to the name of the 2005 version. Oh, and the soundtrack is awesome, much better than previous NFS soundtracks.
  7. Nov 1, 2012
    If you're a fan of Burnout Paradise. You'll like this game. From everything I saw about this game. Told me about the customizing. Like an old NFS game. None of that is in this. Sure, you can "tune" your car. Kind of. To select a car, you cant just buy it. You have to find it. And painting. No choice. Drive through a random booth and it does a random color. Plus the steering.. Turn right.If you're a fan of Burnout Paradise. You'll like this game. From everything I saw about this game. Told me about the customizing. Like an old NFS game. None of that is in this. Sure, you can "tune" your car. Kind of. To select a car, you cant just buy it. You have to find it. And painting. No choice. Drive through a random booth and it does a random color. Plus the steering.. Turn right. Pull off the analog stick. And it's still turning right. In my opinion, if you had to choose between this and Forza Horizon. Forza it is.. Expand
  8. Nov 1, 2012
    I am more than a little pissed. I bought this game based on the first 10 reviews that averaged nearly 90% so I spent 60 on a very average game only to find out that it was not all it was supposed to be. It seems EA is buying reviews and this kills all credibility of EA and review sites. No wonder why EA is so hated in the gaming community.
  9. Nov 11, 2012
    You know when games used to simpler? When things were about purely having fun? Easy to pick up and play for a couple of hours? Well here we have such a arcade racer. The key term in there is *arcade* racer. This has no pretension of being a Forza or a GT5. This is about clean arcade entrainment and about having FUN! It's insanely addictive and packs a whole load of action from the outsetYou know when games used to simpler? When things were about purely having fun? Easy to pick up and play for a couple of hours? Well here we have such a arcade racer. The key term in there is *arcade* racer. This has no pretension of being a Forza or a GT5. This is about clean arcade entrainment and about having FUN! It's insanely addictive and packs a whole load of action from the outset it's very easy to loose a couple of hours to this game! From the get go at the start of the game everything is open to you nothing is locked. New cars are scattered around the open world for you to collect when you discover them. No areas of the world are locked off. So basically you start the game by being dropped into an open world to do as you will! Race? Do it! Burn up the streets trying to whizz past speed cameras scattered around as fast as you can (and beat your friends scores handily shown on a billboard near the camera) just do it! Find the craziest jump to attempt and smash through a billboard to beat your friends distance go for it! Have a play with the Police? Tap a Police car and off you go for an insane chase around the city. The whole game engine moves at a fantastic pace (as can be expected from a Criterion game) and considering the speed it runs looks very nice indeed, reflections of puddles on the ground, lens flare effects etc. all looks very pretty! Soundtrack is great too not as garish as some Need For Speeds and tastefully put together. The other aspect of this is multiplayer. This is insane fun and will provide endless hours of carnage and fun! There are a multitude of challenges availalable which the CPU or hosting user can create play lists from. This will basically set up a list of these challenges that happen one after the other with intermissions between each where everyone can have fun getting to the next challenge maybe trying to get a shifty take down to the next challenge! Immense fun. Essentially this game provides a playground to have some action driving fun in. It's a toy box. Use your imagination with it and you can invent any sort of game you like! Of course your have a Police force in there too to spice things up to. It's like playing all those cops and robbers shows for real! They even drag out stingers and make roadblocks to stop you (which you can satisfyingly smash through!). This is one of the best arcade racers out there and anyone needing action and carnage packed into every minute of gameplay this is where it is at. Oh did I mention Burnout Paradise?! Effectively treat this as the BP on steriods. This is BP the next iteration in all but name. Staggeringly good game Criterion and keep up the great work making wonderfully addictive fast action packed arcade racers of the highest order. Cannot recommend this enough. Oh did I mention anywhere that this game is a whole bunch of FUN! :) EDIT
    Update on the original review I made of this. After spending around 10hours playing with this and I started to attempt to actually play the single player game found the races immensely frustrating. Problem I mainly had was with the view. Generally don't play drivers in 3rd person view (behind the car) and use the bonnet cam. I attempted my first most wanted race ( for the Alfa 4C) and simply was not able to complete this race in 1st person view. The camera is simply too low and near the road to be useable. However I did complete the event on my first try in 3rd person view. Seemingly the game was designed to be played in 3rd person view, which is unfortunate as it feels far to sluggish in this mode... Like driving through treacle if you will. Still a great game if you can get on with the camera views. However I will stick with Burnout Paradise for my action racer and move this on.

Another point to note is with respect to the PS3 version. It takes far to long to load and this is particularly noticible when your want to replay a race the blu-ray drive seems to grind on for what seems like an eternity. Unfortunately there is no install to HDD option so if you have both consoles to choose from unless you have specific reasons for choosing the PS3 version ( online friends list) then I would opt for the 360 version as at least you are able to install to the HDD!

In summary still a fun game but the racing part gets tiresome too quickly IMHO. Which is a shame. Burnout Paradise will scratch that online fun arcade itch for a fraction of the price if you can find any
    online buddies to race against that is ( getting on a bit now...). IMHO it's the better game though and runs a good bit faster at 60fps too.....
  10. Oct 30, 2012
    It's a remake with some new Features. Guess that's okay and I really don't expect much more of EA...but it's not as good as Forza Horizon. It's still way too much Arcade, Forza gets the symbiosis between Simulation and Arcade way better. The cars are fine, but for my taste it's once more too much PS-Monsters. Guess there's not much left to say. Buy it, if you have no XBox 360. If you'veIt's a remake with some new Features. Guess that's okay and I really don't expect much more of EA...but it's not as good as Forza Horizon. It's still way too much Arcade, Forza gets the symbiosis between Simulation and Arcade way better. The cars are fine, but for my taste it's once more too much PS-Monsters. Guess there's not much left to say. Buy it, if you have no XBox 360. If you've got one: Forza Horizon. Expand
  11. Nov 9, 2012
    I have played Criterion's Most Wanted on PS3 for a week now and to me best part of the game so far is the billboard smashing (from Burnout Paradise).

Racing is quite hard, partly because I'm still a novice with the gamepad, but mainly because the tracks do not have those floating arrow barriers to show you where to drive at intersections and the sides of the roads are filled with hundredths of sudden stop opportunities.

This game is definitely a step back from The Run and even Criterion's own Hot Pursuit. If we are honest and I always am, this game is nothing more than a badge engineered Burnout Paradise 2. I haven't yet found a single feature that would scream out Need for Speed, but a ton of ones that say: "Hey look, I'm a sequel to Burnout Paradise with a high profile name and licensed cars".

The game would have scored better, if it did not have so many missing and left out features. The game has no screenshot ability and it's missing hood cam and far chase cam (arcade game does not really need a **** view). There's no proper customization, but that's understandable, since the game also has no money and no garage to put your cars in. In fact. I think all cars are stolen. There's also no real incentive to get away from the cops in your stolen car, because there's no money in the game, so you won't get fined no matter what you do with your car. With all these absent features and more, I can only give it half of what I would give to a good game with no missing features (5/10).

Conclusion: It's a fun game and you'll love it, if you liked Burnout Paradise. If you loved the original Most Wanted and couldn't care less about Burnout Paradise, you will most likely hate this game with all your heart.
  12. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sighs! Wailing! Lamentations! Need For Speed you do this to me again.
    After every iteration I wonder when I may, perchance, break the sound barrier in your game. Or ride a rocket through space. Surely both of those devices provide greater high speeds then the cars you offer me. It still takes me far too long to get across town but in a supersonic jet? No time at all.
    Good job suckering me in with that "Most Wanted" phrase, for these surely are my most wanted vehicles to enter the Need For Speed fray. Alas, I sit in a car, touching the ground and look up at the rendered sky above and dream.
  13. Nov 21, 2012
    The physics of Hot Pursuit meets the open world of Paradise City. Now imagine coming around a corner with the heavier physics and seeing 3 different obsticals in the way and having to steer around them. This worked very well with arcade handling, but it doesn't here. Hot Pursuit had a small amout of obsticals for this very reason. And somehow (a mystery) the developers are still forcing usThe physics of Hot Pursuit meets the open world of Paradise City. Now imagine coming around a corner with the heavier physics and seeing 3 different obsticals in the way and having to steer around them. This worked very well with arcade handling, but it doesn't here. Hot Pursuit had a small amout of obsticals for this very reason. And somehow (a mystery) the developers are still forcing us to watch every crash. There was an outcry after Paradise City after they did this. Were you not paying attention? And to top it off, they took away the takedown cutaway, which were truly cool. Now it just says "Takedown". However, the graphis are great and I like the progression. And when it's working well, it is a lot of fun. It's just one of those games were you can have a lot of fun but it seems like, literally, every 90 seconds I'm findng something that totally annoys me until I sell the game (which I just did). Expand
  14. Nov 22, 2012
    Esse jogo está longe, mas muito longe de ser o verdadeiro Need for Speed Most Wanted, parece um clone e mal feito gráficos não não tudo pessoal será que vou ver um Need for Speed descente?

Is this play distant, but much far from being the true Need for Speed Most Wanted, it seems a clone and when personal one was badly made printers not not everything it will be that I am going to see a Need he will be descending Speed?
  15. Dec 7, 2012
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game (since that is, apparently, its full name) is a tough nut to crack. On one hand, it's a huge improvement over humiliating "The Run" that I still can't recover from, and a smart coalition of NFS and Burnout series. And to some degree, it is. It is smart, it is fun, it is visually pleasing to the eye. And then, there are those little things,Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game (since that is, apparently, its full name) is a tough nut to crack. On one hand, it's a huge improvement over humiliating "The Run" that I still can't recover from, and a smart coalition of NFS and Burnout series. And to some degree, it is. It is smart, it is fun, it is visually pleasing to the eye. And then, there are those little things, that prove to be not so little after a while. The biggest downfall for me is the absolute lack of any innovation. We are placed in, almost literally, the same city: coast from one side, mountains from the other. Downtown in between, plus the industrial area and highways holding it all together. That is something we've seen hundreds of times, from NFS and Burnout series, too - isn't it time for innovation? The game is obvious down to the soundtrack: some d'n'b, some hits, some rock, some american poprock, some electronic, few hits. It's painfully expectable. The game has some issues with the difficulty level, too - some tracks deemed as "easy" prove to be impossible to finish, and vice versa. And as you play, more and more of those little devilish details start to pile up - until you finish the game, which is rather quickly. NfSMWACG could be a top game if two braniac studios had shown a bit of innovation and risk-taking, instead of pure laziness and the same, stale gimmicks. Expand
  16. Dec 30, 2012
    This is a sublime street racing game, one of the best of it's kind. The autolog is more innovative than you may realise and allows fluid transitions between different cars and locations (races).

The only truly frustrating aspect is the way DLC content is forced into the game itself. You see a new car-jack spot and head over to claim your new car only to be taken to the in-game store to buy the right to use the content. DLC is here and can actually be used to breathe new life into titles but to have it severely impact on the fluidity of the game unless you pay for it is a real let down.
  17. Aug 16, 2013
    This game was an OK experience. The graphics are good, the cars have great detail, and there is a lot of cars in this game, BUT the thing that made me give this game a relatively average score is that you have to "find" them instead of earning them, the only cars you can earn are the cars you win when you complete a most wanted race, witch there are 10 in total. In the PS2 games, you'dThis game was an OK experience. The graphics are good, the cars have great detail, and there is a lot of cars in this game, BUT the thing that made me give this game a relatively average score is that you have to "find" them instead of earning them, the only cars you can earn are the cars you win when you complete a most wanted race, witch there are 10 in total. In the PS2 games, you'd have to BUY the cars, earning money from races and challenges. I felt no reward what so ever when i found an supercar a random place in the city, (and btw, the city is not big at all) it's even marked on your map when you're close to the cars you find. Another problem are the cops, they ram into you, it feels like they want to kill you, not stop you. If you're on an edge of a cliff, they just ram into you, killing you and themselves. Crashes are SOO frustrating and BORING in this game, they last waay to long, and your car looks the same after you've crashed your car 200 KmH into a wall. What happened to the crashes from Burnout? It's the same studio that made that game, why isn't it here Criterion? Another let down is NO customization AT ALL, the only things you can do is put off-road tires and nitro-boost in your car. The online can be pretty fun, but you have to drive to these locations and do the races or challenges, then drive to a new one. Why isn't there MODES in this game? If you want to do free-roam only in a public game, too bad, there is none of that, only in-between the races or challenges. Some people might enjoy this, but why not include RACE-ONLY, JUMP-CHALLENGES ONLY or DRIFTING-CHALLENGES ONLY modes. I am disappointed Critirion. The game can be really fun at times, racing against other on the highway is pretty fun, free roam is also fun, but is ruined by lack off specific modes, you have to do all this things you might not be intrested in too. There is nothing that makes your car special, in multiplayer, none will notice your car.
    If this is the way you want to go, having no customization, finding cars around the city, even starting off with a supercar, i will not buy your next game, and a lot of other fans that want progression and customization.
  18. Aug 23, 2013
    Take Burnout Paradise (also made by Criterion), change the city, add real cars instead than inspired-from-real ones, remove the wonderfully fun-to-drive motorcycles, et voilà, you have NFS Most Wanted. A game which, in the end, clones its own developer's previous efforts, but removes stuff instead than adding it (ok, real cars apart), while keeping all the faults, which are many. ForTake Burnout Paradise (also made by Criterion), change the city, add real cars instead than inspired-from-real ones, remove the wonderfully fun-to-drive motorcycles, et voilà, you have NFS Most Wanted. A game which, in the end, clones its own developer's previous efforts, but removes stuff instead than adding it (ok, real cars apart), while keeping all the faults, which are many. For example, when racing, the checkpoints are not very visible and often badly positioned, so unless you have squinted eyes that allow you to drive while focusing both on the road and on the minimap, you will often miss the right exit or turn. It's also full of little but annoying bugs. As in Burnout Paradise, you will get points by finding and destroying all billboards and gates. Too bad that half the time a destroyed billboard/gate is readily forgotten by the save/scoring system. All in all, if you have Burnout Paradise, stick to that, since it's much more fun. Otherwise, you might want to give Most Wanted a try: the driving system is arcade and fun, though it becomes quickly frustrating when you're forced to concentrate on the minimap instead than on being a cool driver. Expand
  19. Nov 3, 2013
    The first Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005) is still my most favorite racing game of all time. The police chases were fast, frenetic, and fun and had a pretty decent story that was the first interesting one in a racing game that I can remember (even better one than the Fast and Furious movies). This game is entirely different, which is bittersweet. With that said, this sequel, reboot, orThe first Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005) is still my most favorite racing game of all time. The police chases were fast, frenetic, and fun and had a pretty decent story that was the first interesting one in a racing game that I can remember (even better one than the Fast and Furious movies). This game is entirely different, which is bittersweet. With that said, this sequel, reboot, or whatever it is defined as has police chases, but they are not nearly as fun or intense as the original. In the original, there were specific sites that your vehicle could hit that would cause explosions, tip towers over, etc. to help lose the police and is sorely missed in this version. The mechanics of the chases themselves just don't feel as exciting. The only way to outrun police in the new version is to find the highway and outrun them. In the older version, going off-roading into the world's golf course or twisting and turning in new directions could lose the police. In typical Criterion fashion, this game does not have any story to it. Also, there is no customization to the cars. When you finally realize this is its own game, you realize how good it is. The game makes up for the disappointments with tons of great ideas. Autolog is back. Unlockables. VERY lifelike city. Very different range of cars from a Ford F150 to Forumala One racing car. You basically had to use a certain vehicle in the original to progress, but you can swap between about 40 or so cars at will using one or many to complete the game. This game promotes EXPLORATION, which is its finest trait. Knocking down billboards, finding cars, and speed cameras are a few of the things that the game rewards you for. With such a nice city, it takes awhile for it to get old. There's nothing like the freedom of an open road trying to find every nook and cranny where a new vehicle may be hiding. Like the previous Most Wanted game, it is just FUN. It is not the sequel I was expecting, but take out the Most Wanted title out and is is very good. Good enough to be my second favorite racer of all time (and I've played alot). Expand
  20. May 18, 2015
  21. Nov 15, 2012
    The game is fun, but compared to what it could be... it's got nothing.

I was stoked for a new street racing game, I've been looking forward to something in open world street racing since Midnight Club L.A. I have to say Rockstar nailed it with that game. I guess I was hoping for something a bit more like that. A couple main points they missed. Customization - half the fun of street
    The game is fun, but compared to what it could be... it's got nothing.

Customization - half the fun of street racing is customizing your car. In NFSMW you can get mods, but they don't do anything to the car. You can't even keep a color. Pretty lame

Money - The other half of street racing that is fun is starting with an empty wallet and a POS car, and working your way up. NFSMW has Speed Points... but those are pretty worthless, they don't really unlock anything, you can't use them for anything... they just keep stacking up. Like a bank account you can deposit money into, but can't withdraw. All you can do it show people how much "money" you have.

Cars - I have to admit, driving around in some of those supercars is a lot of fun. But in a street racing game, does it really make sense? I have more fun rolling in a Mitsubishi Evo X than the Bugatti Veyron, just because it makes more sense to me. It would be great if there were more street cars and a bit less supercar weight. Progression - NFSMW is open from the beginning... all the cars are there, you just need to find them... which may sound cool in theory, but it ruins the game for me. There is no game progression. The easiest part of the game was beating the top ten cars... the "MAIN STORY"

Story - I put Main Story in quotes above, because there is no story at all. Which is fine. I was expecting more of an arcade racer light on the story... but they play with you... just a little hint of a story... and nothing more.

Cut-Scenes - One thing I thought looked promising was the seamless gameplay... which is done well at points... but then you start a race by squealing you wheels. You think you should just be able to start the race there, right? Nope, you need to wait for a freaking ridiculous cut scene to play. Even when you skip the scene, you are still forced to sit through the end of it. So lame.

Crash Cam - This is cool for about 2 seconds, and then it gets real old. Especially during multiplayer (which I will get to in a second). Again the seamless quality of the game is completely ruined by this slow motion crash camera... which you can't skip

Multiplayer - It seems the whole goal to multiplayer is to smash into other people. I think it would be fine if that was a part of it, but you get more points from smashing people constantly than you do from actually winning the events. I just played a multiplayer speedlist, won each event, and then came in 4th overall... How can you win every event and come in 4th? The three people above you decided to crash into people instead of racing. I was done after than one....

The idea of the game is great. It looks fantastic, the cars are fun to drive, but the racing and overall enjoyment is mediocre (because of the faults listed)... It's like they had this awesome abstract sculpture that they kept filing away at... getting rid of parts... smoothing out any edges... polishing... making sure it made sense to everyone... making sure not to make it to hard... making sure there were not sharp edges... and what they were left with was a polished statue of a little puppy. Cute and all, but the meaning and meat of the work is gone.

1. Dec 17, 2012
    Great multiplayer and a huge sandbox to play in make this a wild and crazy ride. [Jan 2013, p.64]
  2. Nov 30, 2012
    Easily the best arcade racer of this generation. [Issue#225, p.76]
  3. Take Burnout Paradise's massive open world, strip out the wild, physics-defying, cabin-crushing crashes and insert a generous handful of the world's hottest or most iconic motors. This is Need for Speed that only Criterion could create. [Christmas 2012, p.83]