4.8

1. Feb 2, 2012
    Konami once again surprised everyone - made â
  2. Apr 3, 2012
    This game is a new IP that deserves recognition. It has really good new ideas, good gameplay, good graphics and entertaining story. If you are a gamer that gets frustrated a lot, you will hate this game just like the ones that are pissed off because "they get dismembered a lot". The game difficulty depends on how you approach it. Obviously you cant actually die, but there are many ways to get a "game over" screen, and many of the times you get it, may be because you probably ended up being swallowed. You have ways to upgrade your character that allows to overcome most scenarios. Depending on the enemy you can change tactic by using your sword or guns.

The only thing that should probably be fixed is the fact that "rolling" should not be necessary to re-attach your limbs. And the popping textures. The game doesn't take it self seriously that is why it has really funny moments, and a cheesy but FUN story. The graphics are nice, and the character design is good. Definitively a good first step for a new IP.

The fact that a company is taking risks by creating new IPs this generation is admirable and must be appreciated. This generation is overflowed with FPS, if you hate that, then support this game.
  3. Feb 8, 2012
    Gotta love how all the same employees from the company gave 10 star reviews to both the PS3 and 360 versions of the game. If only you had gone the extra mile while making the game. I hope this ends up being one of those cult games where the cult kills themselves, then maybe companies will stop making crap games for their now dead audience. I gave my computer monitor the middle finger every time I read one of those awful perfect 10 reviews. Zombifiers, sarr, xzer123, and other Rebellion employees can suck it and stop making such horrible games, you ruin good ideas. Expand
  4. Mar 15, 2012
    This has got to be one of the MOST BORING games I have ever played. The idea is interesting and this really had the potential of being something special. But it's just so badly executed that I wish I could dismember this game and throw in the garbage (when I think of it, actually I can). The main gimmick, being immortal and being dismembered by enemies works the opposite of how it was intended: it's very, very, very frustrating to keep stopping what you're doing to search for limbs in the field. I can't believed this game was approved, produced and released the way it is. It's frustrating beyond unplayable. Expand
  5. Jul 20, 2012
    NeverDead is a must buy!!! NOT. This game is the biggest load of crap I have seen since Aqua Man battle for Atlantis. Its clunky controls only add to the misery of blurry and unrendered environments. Enemies are repeated since the first level through out the whole game, and boss fights are boring and also repetitive. Not only that but there are many bugs and glitches scattered through out the whole game, did you know that?? Try and find them all!!! The only reason I gave it a 1 not a 0 is because I like the upgrade system easy and simple to use.
    Overall this game is terrible and if you ever encounter it at the shops I suggest you walk away and don't look back. Oh just too add multi player is disgustingly terrible (weird adjective right?) I felt like destroying the disk when I first when on to it. 9/10
    ~NoNamerGamer
  6. Dec 26, 2012
    Its not a good game. it's not a bad game. it's a game wich is meh and hmm at the same time.
    A guy who cannot die. Yes it sounds pretty neat and it is. WHO i ask WHO would not like to rip of an arm hit your friend with it and then put it back like it was a lego piece? nobody that's who.

The thing is that this game need's, is a better controls and combos OH MAN would i love to see some
    combos.
    sure you can elecrute yourself and elecrute enemies, or throw your hand inside an enemie and shoot from the inside. But there needs to be more. A game which shows us this interesting new thingy, they must use it more, example: you got an arm, window and an enemie, you throw your hand into the window roll it on the pieces and feed to the enemie. example #2: you see an barrel of gasoline and a stack of tnt and a downhill you take the stack, jump in, be ready with the lighter. when in midle of the baddies light it up and enjoy fireworks.
    What im going for is, this game would have shined if it went more with this new mechanic. instead most of the game is DmC kinda gameplay. so yes. less dmc.
  7. Nov 25, 2012
    What's the biggest problem in 'Japanese' action games? Absolutely bad controls. Other than NINTENDO, NAMCO and to some extent, CAPCOM (RE 5's tank control is still a mess though), many Japanese games control horribly, bad camera control or have weird design issues. Neverdead is no different. It's weird that only KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS is the only 'studio' within Konami that can make great games.
  8. Jan 12, 2013
    I enjoyed Neverdead way more than any of the latest Modern Warfare or Black Ops titles... and that said by a huge fan of military FPS. It's fun even if some called the loosing limbs stuff repetitive. In the final boss fights it can get annoying if you do not act quick enough but overall it's quite cool. The mixture of swordplay and gun shooting is fun and satisfying and the occasional puzzles do their job quite well too.
    If you love weird stories with classy lines of text, then this is a game you should pick up!
    Worth to get a sequel for sure.
  9. Sep 19, 2014
    I really wanted to like this, but found NeverDead a quick road to frustration. While it's got good ideas and is kind of unique, combat and gameplay in general is horrible. Controls feel floaty and unresponsive, weapons lack impact and don't seem to do any damage, movement is constantly hindered by debris on the floor - I couldn't ascend a flight of stairs a bunch of times without doing a combat roll or jumping (?) The camera is an absolute nightmare. Bryce (the player character) falls to pieces at the lightest touch from an enemy, leaving the player to roll around rooms as a disembodied head trying to reattach itself to its torso, the fact that you can't die is good, but these circumstances are ALWAYS accompanied by (A) irritating enemies that threaten to game over the player by eating your dismembered body parts or making you watch yourself fail an irritating quick time event, or (B) even more enemies ready to knock you to pieces as soon as you've put yourself back together. NeverDead looked good on paper, but it's just clunky, clumsy and broken in places. Repetitive, dull enemy types and nasty screen tearing didn't help either. Expand
  10. Sep 20, 2012
    Konami's "NeverDead" tried to be a normal sandbox game, but thanks to the undeniable critical successes "Bulletstorm," "Bayonetta," and "Borderlands," it just wasn't a good experience. Just like Ninja Gaiden 3, the controls were pretty disappointing, gameplay is terrible, boss fights just wasn't meant to be played, and story looks incredibly dreadful. I'm a big fan of MegaDeath, but they should've made another album instead of making tracks for a decent but a poor Rob Zombie moment. Anyway, I'm not saying that NeverDead's a bad game, but it just needs a boost of combat, powers, more boss fights, and try to make things right next time. "NeverDead" is one of the most disappointing games of 2012, maybe you should rent it on Redbox or Gamefly if you really want to. Expand
  11. Mar 15, 2012
    What can you say about NeverDead... Well it's a really unique game, I'll give it that. I've not played a game where you can rip your head off on purpose since MediEvil on Ps1. The gameplay itself is clunky, but clunky gameplay is not what I hate about the game. I hate the fact that it is sooo repetitive, you do the same thing pretty much throughout the entire game, only that the enemies get better at severing your limbs. The gameplay itself is then again decent, I mean it's nothing special but it works. As long as you have a high tolerance level that is. The concept of playing as an immortal demonhunter sounds pretty fun, but somehow they managed to make the game feel... Well, uninspired. The gameplay is mediocre but functional, the music is mediocre but wont make your ears bleed and the graphics look bland but fits with the rest. I've never played anything quite like it, playing this game feels like sitting on 10 chairs stacked on each other, it feels unstable but but somehow you don't crash you a painful death. I don't know what I can say about the story without spoiling anything and repeating myself, it was Decent. You got an annoying woman with you which doesn't get better when the smaller even more annoying girl enters the picture. Actually, all the characters are more or less annyoing except the main character, Bryce Boltzmann. He's more like a hobo who walked into your house, you feel sorry for him for where he is but you still don't like him trashing your place, you know? Fuzzy, I know. It's to recommend this game, I suppose if you're really tired of the same old shooter games it's worth a try but unless you like playing as a clunky demonhunter you will save money by staying away from it or waiting for a price drop. Although I do hope someone takes some ideas from it, perhaps with more elements from the T-1000 from Terminator 2, making the character pretty much immortal and indestructible except when facing stuff like extreme heat or cold, I don't know, just be cautios around NeverDead. Collapse
  12. May 31, 2012
    Originality was the dish of the day down at Rebellion studios; a pity, then, that they just couldn't marry it to a game with real substance. Never mistake me though, I thoroughly enjoyed tearing my limbs off and saving the world while bowling my cranium across the floor. It's a much needed tonic to the endless First Person Shooting parades and insistence on relying on the tried and tested methods of gaming design. So when one studio goes out with the purpose to throw a bucket of crazy at the wall and see what sticks, I try to get behind them. NeverDead puts players in control of Bryce Boltzman who can (surprise!) never die. Get blasted up by demons, your enemies on hand, and you'll be reduced to a hopping myriad of limbs until you're able to regenerate. Eye candy is provided, and a lot of the levels are surprisingly destructible particularly when you just throw Bryce at them. I found it interesting, others will find it nuts. I think other people are boring. Eye candy aside the game doesn't look great, no shocks there, but once you see past the no trills visuals and the almost clunky controls you can really read into the humour and get to know Bryce Boltzmann, the one serious talking point the game has to offer. So what did I think? Not bad considering who it's coming from and what it was aiming to do, much better than many will lead you to believe and did I mention Megadeth composed the soundtrack? Yeah, I agree, that is awesome. Expand
  13. Apr 6, 2012
    I like this game, music, humor, concept and especially CGI through the game that rare nowadays. I don't understand why it's so low score by Critics. Unfortunately it's a weak sales for a while and we're unlikely will see the sequel.
  14. Apr 25, 2012
    I can not see why the immense hatred of the specialized press in this game. It seems to me not so much fun playing a few years ago. A unique mechanical and simply ridiculous (positively) that binds aha inability to die and fantastic ways to kill and deceive the enemy, taking advantage of our invincibility.
    Despite several errors d production is an average game, but that is very close to
    being a great game. Expand
  15. May 10, 2013
    Decided to give a badly reviewed game a chance, because it's only fair. This game had a great and unique concept, however the execution and game play didn't fit it. I've only played a couple of hours of this game and had it. The concept of ripping body parts out, destructible environments, butterfly blade sounds sweet but it aint. It's true it's more annoying than cool when you get split into pieces and have to either wait or find your body parts; and it's ironic when the rolling head says "motion sickness", because that's what i got watching the head roll around. The enemies were so reptitive and annoying as hell to fight especially the portal which spits them out. The Swordpig looks like a 4th grader drew it, (and not even a good one). I tried to like this game, but it looks as if the game developers didn't put their best resources into this game. Imagine if they could've had MG revengeance's sword system with the butterfly knife and not the awkward "no neck" and have to turn the whole camera around to do a 180 just to kill something. BORING. Expand
  16. Jan 29, 2013
    Konami, You suck at making shooters these days. I thought it would be a fun game to rent, my choice was wrong. Bad controls, bad gameplay and a bad partner and just a bad game to start with 2012. The game is not good at all, It's so bad it makes me want to cry. Don't even rent or buy, it's a waste of your time. I will give it an hontest 5 though for being a fun game and a nice try for an interesting shooter, but it's an ok game. Expand
  17. Oct 18, 2013
    Every so often a game comes along and gets unfairly chewed apart. Ironic it's this one, given the whole dismemberment theme.
    I see so many people blaming the game for what is their own poor game playing skills.
    Because the controls are solid, the bosses are creative and the only reason you would spend your time excessively dismembered would be from your playing, not the game's controls.

While, like any 3rd person hack and slash, the camera takes some keeping up with, other than that this was a good looking, funny game.
    Not Deadpool funny, but still making fun of typical videogames and a good time.
    I really liked this game. What's commendable is they made a game for specific people, not the mainstream. It's true, many people either can't hang or simply don't like these type of games.
    But the Devil May Cry and, especially, Metal Gear Rising crowd, this is a great game worth owning.
    No, I don't work for the company like some condescending other reviewer insinuated of other positive reviews. I simply bought this and really enjoyed it and think any hack and slash fans would too.
    I mark the total a ten to offset the ridiculous zeroes. But more accurate, this is between a seven and a eight. Fans of these games will really like it.
  18. Apr 8, 2014
    NeverDead is a hard game to review, it has so many good ideas that are fun while they work, but they get lost in a frustrating series of blunders that test gamer's patience to breaking point.

Start off playing Neverdead and you will find a decent looking game with a cool lead character who is just about invincible, or so we think. There is fun to be had with blowing yourself to reach
    secret areas or unlock blocked passages. The guns work, and it's a lot of fun to strafe around your victim and cut him down to size. Then things take a turn for the worse, I don't know what went wrong in development but someone forgot to quality control some of the enemies' abilities.

Fancied getting stuck in a corner after being blown up for the 15th time in a fight, or how about being swallowed alive as a broken quick time event game is the only thing to keep you alive.

It's a shame because if there was some balance it could of been something special.
  19. Mar 15, 2012

1. Mar 13, 2012
    This game has a really interesting premise, but unfortunately it won't take it across the finish line. The biggest innovation of this game – the immortal protagonist – is also the game's biggest flaw. When Bryce blows to bits and pieces, blood pressure rises on the other side of the screen. Stupid plot and clumsy controls are a suitable crown for this ass-fruit. [March 2012
  2. Space prohibits a more comprehensive deconstruction of NeverDead's myriad flaws, so instead here's the pithy summary: this game is utter bullshit. There are heaps of bad games out there, but few that glory in their deficiencies the way this one does. [March 2012, p78]
  3. Mar 4, 2012