5.8

1. Apr 6, 2014
    I was excited to see this game on the PlayStation store because, TO THIS DAY, I still play NFL Blitz 99 on my PS1. The game play is exactly how i expected it to be, the game plays slower than I am use to and there are no late hits. Its excited to see updated rosters and uniforms on a game I so love.
  2. Oct 3, 2012
    This game is hilariously pointless. It should be over the top, but it's not. No depth, frustrating, bad graphics. It has some moments of fun and 'being in the zone', but overall, what were they thinking?
  3. Jan 14, 2012
    Initially after buying this game I gave NFL Blitz a mediocre score of 5/10 I was sad to do so because I loved the core of the game. The play was fast and the hits were brutal, but my complaints weren't with the gameplay they were with the online component. I purchased the game the morning after it released on PSN and already by that point the online seemed to be completely inundated with "cheesers". They played a style of defense in which all three of a teams receivers were knocked down immediately after the snap forcing the QB to either throw a bad pass or run as their only two options. Because this play style ruined online gameplay, and because the online component was Blitz's biggest and most important feature I felt that my score was justified.

Having spent more time with the game, much more time, I have noticed that this play style has begun to become rarer and rarer, I even met a new player online who said that he hadn't encountered it at all. With this in mind I feel that its necessary to change my review score.

Blitz is home to an insane amount of content for a downloadable title. There are among others, a Gauntlet mode which has you working up a ladder Mortal Kombat style to unlock special players like zombies, and ninjas; there is an excellent card game in the style of Madden Ultimate Team, an online co-op mode (which I have yet to try out), and of course NFL Blitz is one of the best games ever to play on the couch with friends.

My original complaint was with the online mode which appeared to be ruined by a terrible play style that removed the fast and loose, big play fun that made Blitz famous, since that complaint is no longer as valid as it had been I can easily recommend this game to anyone that has even a little love for football.

4. Jan 7, 2012
    I bought NFL Blitz because I thought it would be like playing a faster and crazier version of madden which in most part it is. This being my first Blitz game since I was never into American football until I got into high school, I was not expecting that the game was going to be as simplistic as it was. Simplicity is fine and all but I felt that some of the games I played were more of a chore to do than fun especially when you're winning by more than twenty points. The way how you would throw the ball to the receivers surprised me as I thought it would be more madden like, although it works very well for this game. The game modes are pretty beefy for a dlc game with the elite league and co-op modes added in. I was a bit annoyed that Vick and Tebow throw with their right hand instead of left and that there are no dreadlocks or hair on the notably hairy players, also the rosters for some of the teams are lousy. Hopefully they could add dlc players like Jimmy Graham and the Gronk in the next game. This game is pretty fun and is worth the $14.99, but if you are really into madden and ncaa, NFL Blitz will seem too easy. I like the game and is easy enough so that you could play with a little kid or just screw around in with friends. Collapse
  5. Jan 5, 2012
    A fantastic adaptation of Madden NFL into a fun, fast, & exciting arcade football game! The game play, audio, & graphics are all top-notch. The amount of content in this downloadable title is staggering when compared with other games at the same price: tons of hilarious audio commentary from the announcers, a wide-selection of unlockables that will keep any completionist busy for weeks, a collectible card game that is like a light-wight version of Madden's Ultimate Team mode, ridiculous fantasy characters, various football skins, art gallery, in game power ups, and the addition of all the online play modes is a great delight. As a long time fan of the original NFL Blitz series, this game holds up well to my expectations and then some. The game is not without it's occassional flaw or bug, but nothing serious enough to impact the fun and entertainment of the game overall. It is dissappointing to not have any late hits in the game (watching the players stop & stand around doing nothing after a play sucks) but I do not think the NFL will ever allow such a feature again.

Overall, a great buy for any serious or casual football fan or anyone who is nostalgic for a classic NFL Blitz experience.
  6. Jan 4, 2012
    I'm really loving this game so far and it's such a trip down memory lane to be able to play it again. The graphics and sound are simply amazing and each play has me on the edge of my seat. At $15 this is a must download for ant fan of NFL Blitz and especially football fans. I would really love to see some updates with this game to allow late hits like the old school version, updated rosters, legends of the game, more plays including running plays and so much more. Please give me some Bo Jackson, Barry, Sanders, The Refrigerator Perry and all of my childhood favorites. Keep up the great work EA and let's make this even better than it already is. If your looking for a fast paced no holds barred football game trust me and check this one out. If your on PSN add me so we can get it on in Co-Op Mode @ ScottySauce. Expand
  7. Jan 7, 2012

1. Still, the experience as a whole suffers only slightly, and we're left with an endlessly engaging arcade title any gamer can enjoy. [Mar 2012, p.81]
  2. Feb 1, 2012
    NFL Blitz feels so very much like its predecessor on the Nintendo 64 that you'll jump right in without a hitch. However, once you get into the game modes and features, you'll find that there is plenty of new content to keep you busy – especially for a downloadable game. If you have a few virtual dollars sitting in your PSN or Xbox Live account, I recommend this game to fans of the series, and fans of a solid arcade experience.
  3. Jan 25, 2012
    Blitz is about thumbing your nose at reality and glorifying the exciting parts of football.